Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Thorn Crowns (OOC)

The Thorn Crowns OOC

Spoiler: 16 Questions
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Standard Gestalt Variant, Generic Fantasy Kitchen Sink.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4-6 Players with the potential for Alternates if there is enough interest

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Right here on the Forums. Sheets through whatever medium you find easiest, although Iíll obviously need to be able to access it.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Bottom of 8th Level.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

WBL

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Anything Official and in a Book is A-OK. Homebrew/Dragon/Web Content Policy in #16.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Fey-Type will be given heavy preference in approving characters. If you arenít Fey, youíll need a VERY strong reason why you are directly affiliated with one of the Courts. LA Buyoff from Unearthed Arcana is allowed.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

32 Point Buy or 4d6b3 at Playerís Choice (However, if you roll, you canít switch to Point-Buy)

Hit Points: Max at First level, Average after that. Round Down your TOTAL HP if you end up with a trailing decimal.
    (For example a 4th level Bard with 10 Con would have 6 + 3.5*3 = 16.5 = 16 HP )

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Go Nuts, Iím not planning to strongly enforce Alignment as long as you arenít VERY obviously going against it (ala Lawful Good Characters randomly burning down orphanages)

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

No Multi-classing Penalties.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Use the Forum Roller (preferably in a spoiler)

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Two Flaw Maximum, Go nuts on Traits if you like.

Triple-Nat-20 on an attack roll is an Auto-Kill if it ever comes up.

No Leadership or Leadership like feats (Such as Undead Leadership, Dragon Cohort etc.) If you want to take something that requires such a feat, you can take the homebrew feat "Leaderboat" which requires Level 6, and whose only effect is to sub in for Leadership and related feats to qualify for things.

No Multiclassing penalties as previously mentioned.

You can take dual-advancement PRCs as both sides of a gestalt (Wizard 3//Cleric 3 followed by Mystic Theurge 5 would work for example)

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Tell me who you are, why you are chosen for the taskforce, and what your goal is.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Iím hoping for a relatively even mix of hack & slash and roleplaying with the very rare puzzle thrown in. However, I will note that I have a natural leaning towards the hack & slash side of things over the roleplaying side.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Any 1st Party Book is allowed as well as Dragon Compendium. Web Content, Dragon Magazine, and Homebrew is subject to approval. Official Web Content will almost always be allowed, basically just add the link somewhere so that I have a copy (and the ability to make a backup in case the archives goes down again). Dragon and Homebrew, Iíll need a strong argument as to why you canít accomplish the same thing by using official sources (with refluffing). Also if approved, it is also a blank check for me to also use it against you.

As a side note, Iíd highly appreciate a source list with the character sheet. I have a fairly good knowledge of what exists, but itís not perfect. Having the source list makes it easier for me to understand what you are doing, and makes the process so much easier.

Player Character Backstory? Race Class Status
    Snowbluff Carbuncle Sugartwist Yes Pixie Bard//Ranger/Marshal Complete
    tonberryking Sophie Dumar Yes Afflicted Werebear Human Cleric/Pious Templar Complete
    samduke Pepper Yes Petal Ranger/Beastmaster//Scout/Martial Rogue/Outrider Complete
    dantiesilva Thorosah Yes Unseelie Killoren Sidhe Scholar//Swordsage Complete
    Vossler Malay Champion of Titania Yes Thorn Rogue/Fighter/Paladin of Freedom Complete
    NontheistCleric Orde Yes Ghost Unseelie Half-Fey Human Rogue /Hexblade/Paladin of Tyranny/Marshal 1 Complete

IC Thread

Please post your speaking color in this OOC thread before moving to the IC thread.
    ARRRRGH, I'm a pirate, ninjas are no match for me, Yargh!
    Also this awesome avatar was done by KillItWithFire

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Thorn Crowns (OOC)

Orde will speak in dark blue.

By the way, I didn't explicitly mention this in her backstory, but the used scroll of plane shift was noted because I intended that she would have used it to shift entirely to the Material Plane some time ago. Let me know if there's any issue with that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I'm here and claim this for my character.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Dark red for Sophie

I need to get off work before posting in the IC so that may take a few hours
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry for the double post but I felt like addressing something and not just random musings about whether or not Sophie is a heal tank in the literal and vehicular sense and if she was the steed for some of the others getting here. I mean when else can you ride a bear to work?

But what I really want to know before I can post in about 3 hours or so, is how much commotion would fey cause in general as we walk up to these gates? Obviously Sophie can turn human but she would know this: do the rest of the fey need to hide or be in disguise? Will their presence in general cause the average Otto the farmer or George Villager to freak out?

DM, what would Sophie know beforehand?
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

6. - Top - End - #6

Fey have a general reputation for being feared. The Fey are known as powerful tricksters. While one can never trust a member of the Fey, they are also capable of granting powerful boons. It would definitely draw a lot of attention if y'all decide to just stroll up to the gates.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Pepper will speak in Violet

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I will be posting in a few hours as well, good to know about thr villages reaction as it will help me post as well (add in my animal companion wont go there yeah)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I will go with black for speech if that ok

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh boy.

Sophie just to warn everyone is going to try to coach her comrades in my eventual post in hopes of avoiding mass murder and disaster.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Gather Information (1d20+8)[26]
    Spot (1d20+12)[17]
    Search (1d20+13)[21]
    Listen (1d20+12)[21]
    OOC: How are you gathering information if you are 260 feet above ground? Gather Information is a Social Check and typically involves interacting with the general population.
    well while accurate on what that skill is for, I figured it would be okay for usage in this instance scouting, IE.. counting numbers of soldiers/archers where people might have gathered for any particular reason then, the other checks would net result in what might be seen, or heard considering elevation

edit net result I got information so that is still useful
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-05-10 at 03:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry for being so verbose. Sophie is assuming this is everybody's first time among humans and she feels it's up to her to run damage control...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry about the lonewolf type post, in her background she has lived her life isolated from people and only being around animals so this is all new to her, and with all the rules of being inside a city (and her animal companion refusing to go into towns bigger than a thorp) she is unsure of the idea of her going inside when she could better help them by staying outside and securing a camp for them and trying to hide it from the common traveler. After all a pack needs a place to sleep and know where it can find food. It's basically what she is offering to do so those who are more social can go inside the village and do their thing.

I suspect her asking Sophie for help with people skills soonish.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

DM, how close are we to the line of travellers? Do they come close enough to the forest that we could join it without having to cross a large area where the archers might spot those of us who can't look human, or hide in the ground, or turn invisible etc.?

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    DM, how close are we to the line of travellers? Do they come close enough to the forest that we could join it without having to cross a large area where the archers might spot those of us who can't look human, or hide in the ground, or turn invisible etc.?
    Just to make this more public information, the closest group to your location is at the end of the line and is roughly 300 ft away in open plains.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

So from the +8 to Dex based checks I have +22 to Initiative
    +15 Balance
    +13 Escape Artist
    +26 Hide & Move Silently

the +11 to Cha based checks gets me
    +21 on Handle animals
    +21 Wild Empathy
    (Have no ranks in any social skills for obvious reasons)

Also Spells in effect
    Heart of Earth (8 hour duration) (Share spell with Silver)
    Forestfold (8 hour duration) +10 to hide and move silently while in a forest environment (or whatever we were in at beginning of day) (Total of 36 modifier so long as she doesn't go out into the open plains) (Share spell with Silver)
    Greater Magic Fang (On Silver) (8 hour duration) +2 Enchantment bonus to attacks and damage rolls with his bite attack
    Heart of Air (8 hour duration) (share spell with Silver) (Meaning her and Silver have Light Fortification)
    Longstrider (8 hour duration) (Share spell with Silver) +10ft of movement speed (40ft base now)
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2020-05-12 at 07:34 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

+8 To all Dex skills from Carbuncle
    +1 to saves from Carbuncle
    +11 To all Charisma based checks from Orde

so Peppers adjusted would look like

Dex based checks
    +17 to Initiative
    +22 Balance
    +29 Hide
    +24 Move Silently
    +24 Ride

Cha based checks
    +19 Diplomacy
    +20 Disguise
    +19 Gather Information
    +29 Handle Animal

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smasher0404 View Post
    Spoiler: Orde
    Show
    You see a guard glance at your path for a suspiciously long time before rubbing his eyes and shrugging. The carriage mostly seems to be filled with crates of something with bright red labels painted in Dwarven. However there is plenty of loose room that 1 or 2 medium sized creatures could fit comfortably within.
    DM, how is this possible? As I understand it, we're not near the gates, definitely not within 5 feet of them, where the guards are. If I'm submerged all the way to the carriage, I have total concealment, but more importantly I can't actually see above ground, just sense what's within 5 feet around me through the intricacies of the incorporeal template. So even if a guard somehow saw me moving underground, how could I possibly see him look at my path?

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    DM, how is this possible? As I understand it, we're not near the gates, definitely not within 5 feet of them, where the guards are. If I'm submerged all the way to the carriage, I have total concealment, but more importantly I can't actually see above ground, just sense what's within 5 feet around me through the intricacies of the incorporeal template. So even if a guard somehow saw me moving underground, how could I possibly see him look at my path?

Oh, my mistake! I didn't realize you couldn't see through the object you are submerged in. That was my bad. The guard didn't actually see you, but given they rolled a Nat 20 anyways, it was more fluff than anything else. Sorry, that was my bad.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smasher0404 View Post
    Oh, my mistake! I didn't realize you couldn't see through the object you are submerged in. That was my bad. The guard didn't actually see you, but given they rolled a Nat 20 anyways, it was more fluff than anything else. Sorry, that was my bad.
    Oh, I see. No worries!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I'm making a list of all my Greenbound Summons to make it easier if and when they are used so it doesn't slow down combat at all. Was halfway tempted to do a Malificent and Summon a whole bunch to wall of Thorns around the entire city and have our Bard call out to hand over the thief if they want the wall to ever go down. Any trying to escape will be hunted down and killed.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Does a giant owl count for Greenbound Summoning? It says only animals (which an owl is) however a giant owl is a magical beast so I thought it would be better to ask then to assume.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    Does a giant owl count for Greenbound Summoning? It says only animals (which an owl is) however a giant owl is a magical beast so I thought it would be better to ask then to assume.
    A Giant Owl does not count for Greenbound Summoning.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Okay thank you for the quick reply.

I have Summon Natures ally 1-3 complete with the main things that would be summoned by her at the moment (Things easily found in a forest), will be done with 4 tomorrow. Just waiting for the party to move forward now with the plan as I'm a bird and just following like I was told in my disguise thanks to Orde
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2020-05-15 at 11:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

so is the plan to use that wagon as cover to get in?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Thats what everyone was voting for reasoni
    I shifted into a dire hawk

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I think that is the plan, yes, but wanted some clarification if Carbunkle is gonna go invisible or go with Sophie. ._. I wasn't sure since it seems like the invisibility is by far the safer option...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

right just wanted to make certain

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

SO....anyone still here? As if not this is the fastest game I have seen die after all the waiting.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

been posting on IC