Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

Rolls seem good. I should have advantage on first attack, since it doesn't seem we've been detected. Don't know if I'll get S.A. damage on second one.

If César has a silent (e.g. non verbal spell) to help disable our mark, it's more than welcome.

Borgrim is probably more useful staying in backup for now, to surprise leap charge the werecrow in case it notices us and closes in at street level.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Triple post...

First, stealth roll... wait, I have a +8 mod, can I even fail this roll on a 1 ?! Stealth - (1d20+8)[18]

Second: my aim was to disable if possible. Sorry if that wasn't explicit enough. Grabbing one of those guys to interrogate is part of Rosa's orderly fall back plan in case things go bad, but not too bad. (If things go too bad, the disorderly fall back thing can't really be called a plan, can it?)

I'm not entirely certain of how it works, but from what I understand of the rules, you can opt for your last blow to be non-lethal when you deliver it. I can't imagine how that would work with a crossbow, so I'm fine with it being a lethal attack.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Triple post...

First, stealth roll... wait, I have a +8 mod, can I even fail this roll on a 1 ?! [roll0]
    Nope, I guess you can't! Forgot you had a +8 .

Second: my aim was to disable if possible. Sorry if that wasn't explicit enough. Grabbing one of those guys to interrogate is part of Rosa's orderly fall back plan in case things go bad, but not too bad. (If things go too bad, the disorderly fall back thing can't really be called a plan, can it?)

I'm not entirely certain of how it works, but from what I understand of the rules, you can opt for your last blow to be non-lethal when you deliver it. I can't imagine how that would work with a crossbow, so I'm fine with it being a lethal attack.
    A knock out has to be delivered with a melee attack (PHB, pg. 198, 'Knocking a Creature Out'), so unless you bash them with the crossbow it wouldn't work. If you want to retcon Rosa's second crossbow shot into a sword blow, I'd be fine with that. Up to you.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

tongue Re: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

Nope, no need to retcon. I'm fine with how it is.

I'll try to stabilize him as soon as I'm secure in the fact that César can infiltrate.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

So, César and Rosa are on the corner of Winding and an alley, on the West side of Winding, with the alley leading more or less Westward.

The second assassin has gone further down into the alley and turned a corner.

Is that an accurate summary?

If so, I think the best move for César and Rosa is to follow down the alley (without turning the corner), prop the guy against a wall, perform first aid and hope the drunks will go past without any of them noticing.

(Also, I hope César speaks Elvish, because I'm pretty certain Rosa doesn't.)

Is it Benedict that disguises as César, or César that disguises as Benedict? Cause, if the former rather than the latter, he's now wearing a disguise on top of his disguise. Like a meta-disguise or something... This should probably lead to a series of Scooby-doo villain unmasking or something.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

So many posts... Perception - (1d20+5)[6], trying to figure a hiding spot. EDIT: Haha... hahahahahaaaa...
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-12-14 at 04:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

How far up is Borgrim - how many stories are the houses in this area? Because in principle, dragging a guy onto a roof is a good way to hide him.

8. - Top - End - #338

So, César and Rosa are on the corner of Winding and an alley, on the West side of Winding, with the alley leading more or less Westward.

The second assassin has gone further down into the alley and turned a corner.

Is that an accurate summary?

If so, I think the best move for César and Rosa is to follow down the alley (without turning the corner), prop the guy against a wall, perform first aid and hope the drunks will go past without any of them noticing.

(Also, I hope César speaks Elvish, because I'm pretty certain Rosa doesn't.)
    Yes, that's an accurate summary. The second assassin turned north around the corner of the yellow-doored house. The alley runs west, with the yellow-doored house on the north and another house to the south. It is very narrow in places (~ 2 feet wide) and is quite dark, so it would be quite easy to hide the first assassin from any viewers on the street.

Benedict/César does know Elvish. In this case only César can hear the whisper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    How far up is Borgrim - how many stories are the houses in this area? Because in principle, dragging a guy onto a roof is a good way to hide him.
    In the immediate vicinity they are all three stories high. Hiding the body up on a roof would work pretty well, but would require a fair bit of effort into getting it up there.

EDIT: I'll need Rosa to make a DC 10 Wisdom (Medicine) check to stabilize the first assassin. EDIT TWO!: Scratch that, the first assassin rolled a 20 on one of his death saves so he is now unconscious but stable at 1 HP.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-12-14 at 10:53 AM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel I got the less entertaining conversation partner.

Wis - (1d20+1)[19]
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

On phone right now, so no courage to type a post with many rolls.

Anyways, I'll wait for the DM to resolve that WIS roll: there might be something we missed and that César just realized.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

I want you all to imagine a dam. A vast, mighty one, likely of chinese design and construction. And spreading across it, a web of tiny cracks, spreading - not so slowly - little beads of water popping out, trickling down, collecting in little streams. All that water, however millions - even billions - of tonnes of it, pushing with crushing force against the weakening, crumbling barrier of the dam.

There may be just a tiny hint of panic in Borgrim's eyes as he struggles to maintain his concentration and patience. He's not accustomed to losing struggles, but this enemy may be too much for him. A slight twitch in one eye may be the final warning. A mighty warcry is forming - involuntarily - in his throat. Soon, it will out. Soon.

I'm just kidding, of course, Borgrim isn't going to do anything stupid to ruin the plan ... but he really wants to =D

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

What was the Wis roll for?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    *snip*
    What was the Wis roll for?
    The Wis roll was a perception check for César/Benedict and his raven.

I got a good laugh from the Keen's post and the dam .
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Not much opportunity to post at the moment. I'll try to do it this evening.

Rosa will try to take out that second guy (the one at the back of the house) the same way she took out the first one.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

The time of Borgrim is at hand.

Lacking any jump DC's, I'll explain the plan here:

Borgrim will jump - but he's not stupid. When you anger the gods, you must expect a marked reduction in good fortune. So he will half-expect to fall, and therefore he will plan his jump so he passes over the shadow creature. That way, even if he falls, he can try to land on top of it, and impale it from three stories up - that's almost even better than succeeding.

Aaaannnndddd ..... Myth Weavers is down. WTF?!

So for rolls:

Initiative: (1d20+1)[13] - Borgrim was pretty much Crouching Tiger, coiled spring, tightly wound coil, pro-wrestler on the top rope, very much ready to go. Regardless, I leave it in Wog's capable hands to decide who acts first. But Borgrim would have gone into motion the moment something outside 'the plan' happened.
    Jump: (1d20+6)[21]
    Athletics: (1d20+6)[10] - this was to make sure to land on the tentacle creature if the jump failed, but I guess I don't.

Attack: (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[14]

I think all of those are +6. Maybe damage is ... no, with rage I'm pretty sure it's also +6. Regardless, modifiers can be changed, but the rolls stand.

Oh, and .. can I just voice my suggestion that César shugs his shoulders, and stabs the remaining assassin in the kidney - and that the assassin, believing himself among friends, collapses baffled, and '.. but why?!' be his last words.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-12-20 at 01:27 AM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

It occurs to me that Borgrim has frenzy now, and can take yet another attack. Mwahahahaha.

Attack: (1d20+6)[7] - oh ... well that's disappointing =(
    Damage: (2d6+6)[18]

Provided he gets into melee range at all, of course. Awaiting Wog's call on that bit =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-12-20 at 01:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, César would probably get advantage against the last assassin.

I'll try to post tonight or tomorrow morning. Rosa will come out of the alley and try to sneak-shoot the remaining assassin.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Wait!!!! Stop everything!

I have advantage on all attack rolls. Ha! Eat that, ya scurvy dog!

Re-roll failed attack: (1d20+6)[24] AHA! Mwahahaha!! Now Wog's going to call that Borgrim didn't make it into melee range, and it'll be all for naught. But, meh =)

Also re-roll the one that didn't fail, because it might crit! (1d20+6)[21]
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-12-20 at 07:49 AM.

19. - Top - End - #349

So for rolls:

Initiative: [roll0] - Borgrim was pretty much Crouching Tiger, coiled spring, tightly wound coil, pro-wrestler on the top rope, very much ready to go. Regardless, I leave it in Wog's capable hands to decide who acts first. But Borgrim would have gone into motion the moment something outside 'the plan' happened.
    Jump: [roll1]
    Athletics: [roll2] - this was to make sure to land on the tentacle creature if the jump failed, but I guess I don't.

Attack: [roll3]
    Damage: [roll4]

I think all of those are +6. Maybe damage is ... no, with rage I'm pretty sure it's also +6. Regardless, modifiers can be changed, but the rolls stand.
    The base distance one can jump with a running start is their strength score (so for Borgrim, 18) in feet. The distance across the street at roof level is barely more than that, so any successful Athletics check is more about how Borgrim lands. Suffice to say, he easily makes to the other side.

Now, I need to take some of the wind out of your sails . Borgrim does not have his greatsword with him; its in the process of getting silvered. However, your first damage roll of an 8+6 is possible with the bronze axe you have, so I'll just use that.

It occurs to me that Borgrim has frenzy now, and can take yet another attack. Mwahahahaha.

Attack: [roll0] - oh ... well that's disappointing =(
    Damage: [roll1]

Provided he gets into melee range at all, of course. Awaiting Wog's call on that bit =)
    Reminder that Frenzy modifies Rage, so one must Rage to Frenzy. (Borgrim is free to do so, of course.)

Wait!!!! Stop everything!

I have advantage on all attack rolls. Ha! Eat that, ya scurvy dog!

Re-roll failed attack: [roll0] AHA! Mwahahaha!! Now Wog's going to call that Borgrim didn't make it into melee range, and it'll be all for naught. But, meh =)

Also re-roll the one that didn't fail, because it might crit! [roll1]
    I'll need you to re-roll the damage for your second attack, at 1d8 + 6 (for the bronze axe). Also, Reckless Attack (that which grants advantage) generally needs to be declared before you roll, when you are about to make your first attack. I'll give it to you this time .
    Show

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

What? Why? Advantage is Advantage, it has nothing to do with whether the first attack hits or not.

Anyways: I activate Rage not for the pitiful bonus to damage, but for Reckless Swings.

Frenzy is slightly trickier, because there's an actual cost. But I will pay the cost gladly to bring down the werecrow. I wouldn't have frenzied against Gloy, though, unless she'd proven a much more fearsome foe.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Oh ... the damage roll =D

Damage: (1d8+6)[10]

Also, Borgrim needs to pick up a spare greatsword.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-12-20 at 10:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352

What? Why? Advantage is Advantage, it has nothing to do with whether the first attack hits or not.

Anyways: I activate Rage not for the pitiful bonus to damage, but for Reckless Swings.

Frenzy is slightly trickier, because there's an actual cost. But I will pay the cost gladly to bring down the werecrow. I wouldn't have frenzied against Gloy, though, unless she'd proven a much more fearsome foe.
    It doesn't matter whether it hits or not, but Reckless Attack is declared when you make your first attack on your turn (and lasts for all of your attacks on your turn). Also, you don't need to Rage to activate Reckless Attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook, pg. 48, 'Reckless Attack'
    Starting at 2nd level, you can throw aside all concern for defence to attack with fierce desperation. When you make your first attack on your turn, you can decide to attack recklessly. Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.
    Bolded emphasis mine. Apologies if I wasn't clear.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353

Oh, and .. can I just voice my suggestion that César shugs his shoulders, and stabs the remaining assassin in the kidney - and that the assassin, believing himself among friends, collapses baffled, and '.. but why?!' be his last words.
    A fine suggestion! And while it might not be supported by the combat rules, I'd definitely give César a good chance at it. The assassin has no reason to believe that César is anything other than an ally, and a dagger in the kidney should be pretty debilitating.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Cèsar is not the greatest damage dealer at this moment, but he did pick up Agonizing Blast, and if the moment is ripe for some literal backstabbing ...

init - (1d20+3)[23]

The Raven should follow the maid from above.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-12-20 at 01:21 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    It doesn't matter whether it hits or not, but Reckless Attack is declared when you make your first attack on your turn (and lasts for all of your attacks on your turn). Also, you don't need to Rage to activate Reckless Attack.

Bolded emphasis mine. Apologies if I wasn't clear.
    No no - I know. But .. I'm a barbarian! Worrying about damage is a concern for lesser people. I did not know I could attack recklessly without rage, though. I shall never not attack recklessly*. Instead, I shall rely on killing them faster than they are killing me.

Different topic: Can Borgrim just kick the rock off the roof? Does he have a good enough idea where it is?

* Not actually 'never' - it seems woefully unwise, even for a barbarian, to use Reckless Swings when outnumbered. Though, on the other hand, don't they get advantage anyways then?! Eh, new rules. Maybe I should buy the books, rather than try to play from the SRD alone =)

26. - Top - End - #356

Different topic: Can Borgrim just kick the rock off the roof? Does he have a good enough idea where it is?
    Ah, my aim was to describe the material components of the spell (fur and a coal lump/black rock) and how the werecrow threw them toward the target of the spell, not that the rock itself was the target of the spell. But I see that I wasn't clear about that. The werecrow cast the spell targeting a point on the roof, near Borgrim's feet. In either case, the rock is quite small and Brogrim would have a very difficult time kicking it off without being able to see it, I think.

Oh, and to add, Borgrim would have heard the werecrow land on the adjacent roof to the north. Forgot to mention that in the IC thread.

* Not actually 'never' - it seems woefully unwise, even for a barbarian, to use Reckless Swings when outnumbered. Though, on the other hand, don't they get advantage anyways then?! Eh, new rules. Maybe I should buy the books, rather than try to play from the SRD alone =)
    That's actually one of the arguments for not using advantage for flanking, if one decides to use them in the first place.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Posted my IC post in the wrong thread -_-°
    I'll leave the rolls here and move the IC stuff in the right thread...

Initiative - (1d20+8)[17]
    Attack - (1d20+6)[7], Damage - (1d6+4)[7] (Extra attack - (1d20+6)[7], Critical damage - (1d6)[2].)
    Sneak attack - (1d6)[3]
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-12-21 at 04:25 AM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

So, who is running and where are they? I understand it's Maid > Rosa > César > Werecrow, with both Cesar and Rosa more or less disguised as assassins. Then in the vicinity of the house we have one shadow creature and the doorman. Borgrim is on the roof of the house.
    Is that correct?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

What a pile of incredibly sh*tty rolls. Minimum damage twice, three out of four attack rolls below 10, almost missed the Athletics check too. Clearly, stealing from the gods isn't without cost.

Reroll Athletics (for no reason other than because I can): (1d20+6)[20]

30. - Top - End - #360

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    So, who is running and where are they? I understand it's Maid > Rosa > César > Werecrow, with both Cesar and Rosa more or less disguised as assassins. Then in the vicinity of the house we have one shadow creature and the doorman. Borgrim is on the roof of the house.
    Is that correct?
    Yes. The yellow-doored house is on the west side of Winding Street. The maid ran north up Winding Street away from the house. Rosa and César are close behind. In front of the house in the street are the shadow-blob-creature and the doorman. The werecrow is up on the roofs, running north, parallel to Winding Street.
    Show