Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

BEYOND THE CITY OF THIEVES

Spoiler: Blurb
    Show

Terror stalks the night as Zanbar Bone and his bloodthirsty Moon Dogs hold the prosperous town of Silverton to ransom. You are an adventurer, a sword (or wand, or big stick, or lute!) for hire, and the merchants of Silverton turn to you in their hour of need.

Your task takes you to the dark, twisting streets of Port Blacksand in search of vital information without which the ultimate defeat is impossible. Thieves, vagabonds and creatures of the night lie in wait to trap the unwary traveller and often your only choice is to kill or be killed! Then beyond the port lies the most fearsome adventure of them all - the tower stronghold of the Prince of Night himself, Zanbar Bone!

Spoiler: Setting
    Show

Spoiler: Calendar
    Show

• Freeze - 31 days
    • Dark - 28 days
    • Unlocking - 31 days
    • Sowing - 30 days
    • Winds - 31 days
    • Warming - 30 days
    • Fire - 31 days
    • Watching - 31 days
    • Reaping - 30 days
    • Hiding - 31 days
    • Close - 30 days
    • Locking - 28 days
    • New Year - 3 days

Port Blacksand:
    Port Blacksand sits at the point where the Catfish River flows West into the Glimmering Sea. It is built upon the remains of an ancient city, resettled by pirates and brigand-lords some three hundred years ago. Surrounding it are gentle, prosperous plains and mixed woodland.
    Spoiler: DISTRICTS
    Show

North of the Catfish River
    • Execution Hill (NE). This district is named after the bleak windswept square at the top of Gallows Hill. On the south side of the hill the buildings are tightly packed together and roads turn into step flights of steps.
    • Harbour District (NW). This is the oldest district in Port Blacksand with winding, narrow streets and ancient, weather-beaten houses. The narrowness of the streets and overhanging nature of the upper stories of buildings make the streets dark even in the day. Lobster Wharf and Harbour Street are the main thoroughfares.
    • Garden District (N). This district is named after the public gardens which dominate this area of the city. It is a wealthy district with many private houses, some of which are the offices of professional people, including court officials, musicians and artists.

South of the Catfish River
    • Fish Market District (W). In this district the smell of raw fish permeates the air, worsened in foggy weather. The buildings near the wharf are warehouses with many exotic goods stockpiled in them.
    • Merchant District (SE). This is the heart of Port Blacksand's business district. It runs between the southern side of Market Square and the city walls. Here, you can buy anything. Approaching the palace, the small gloomy shops are replaced by large houses in which dwell the city's richest and most devious merchants.
    • The Noose (S). This is the most notorious district in the city named after its most notorious street. It is most famous as the home of many gangs and criminal organizations. An atmosphere of crime and decay pervades the area. The area has many beggars. The Noose is also the site of the Market Square and during the day this is bustling with traders and customers.
    • Temple District (SW). Here are many of Port Blacksand's temples situated on or near the Street of Temples, a wide, pleasant street. Most of the city's armourers and weapon makers are to be found in this same district, found in the block of buildings formed by the Street of Knives, Cutlass Alley and Dagger Lane. The rest of the area is made up of twisting back streets and alleys.
    • Lady Salancia’s Palace (E). The high minarets of the palace dominate the city skyline, and can be seen many miles inland.

Spoiler: People and Churches
    Show

People:
    • Lady Salancia - Reclusive ruler of Blacksand and head of House Salancia. De facto head of the local Church of At’ar.
    • Lord Roderick of House Rogoan - Very successful, now retired, sea captain of dubious repute.
    • Lady Daria of House Valentis - The young head of the most successful merchant family in Blacksand.
    • Lord Marak of House Greysteel - Commander of the City Watch, and head of the oldest noble house in Blacksand.

Temples/Churches:
    • At’ar, The Yellow Goddess (Sun and Shadows, LN) - the ‘official’ deity of Blacksand.
    • Waukeen, Goddess of Trade (Knowledge, Trickery, N)
    • Umberlee/Talos: Pair of Sea and Storms (Tempest, CE)

Silverton:
    Situated some 70 miles SW of Port Blacksand, the prosperous town sits at the crossroads of the major trade routes in the region. It produces high quality pottery and stonework, and is surrounded by rich farmland.
    Spoiler: People and Churches
    Show

People:
    • Owen Carralif - Mayor of Silverton (Mirelle, daughter)
    • Ambrus Redbeard, preeminent Dwarven Stonemason
    • Angelica Ruthgar, preeminent Potter
    • Gale Proudfeet, preeminent Halfling Tanner

Church of Chauntea, goddess of agriculture (Life, NG)

Spoiler: Port Blacksand Street Map
    Show

Updated Version

Welcome to the OOC thread for City of Thieves and beyond!

The IC THREAD IS HERE.

System: Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition
    Player Count: Looks like 3 to me!
    Style of Play: Swords and Sorcery flavoured urban crawl, transitioning into sandbox. Roughly equal parts hack/exploration/roleplay.
    Allowed Content:
    • All published, official content.
    • Unearthed Arcana on a case-by-case basis, and nothing that has since been released officially.
    • All races from the PHB and Volo's Guide to Monsters, excluding: Variant Human, Bugbear, Kobold, Orc, Yuan-Ti. Anything else just run by me first.

Character Creation:

• Backstory: Enough to get a feel for your character. It doesn't have to be long at all. Please feel free to add your own world details if the fancy strikes you, and I'll do my best to incorporate them.
    • Experience: 2nd level.
    • Wealth: Starting Equipment from Class and Background, plus an additional 150 gp.
    • Ability Scores: 4d6b3, re-rolling 7s or less. If the total combined ability modifiers of the set equal 2 or less, then re-roll the entire set.
    • Back-up Ability Array: 17, 15, 14, 13, 13, 11. For use by all.
    • Hitpoints/Health: Max first level. Rolled after that. Re-roll 1s.
    • Alignment: Any, as long as you can get along with the party.

Other Notes:

Identifying Creatures
    Spoiler
    Show

I've placed all the creature types under one of the four Intelligence (knowledge) skills, like this:

Arcana - constructs, dragons, abberations, elementals

History - humanoids, giants, monstrosities

Nature - beasts, fey, plants, oozes

Religion - fiends, undead, celestials

There's plenty of overlap, though. Think of it as a general rule of thumb. Fey probably fall under Arcana as well Nature, so you'd benefit from either bonus. Similar with elementals and oozes. And a specific dragon might fall under History as well as Arcana. In general I'll just ask (or you can roll pre-emptively) for a non-specific Intelligence check and then I'll add whichever bonus fits behind the screen, so as not to give anything away.

Humans
    Spoiler
    Show

This replaces the default Human from the PHB.
    Ability Score Increase. One ability score of your choice increases by 2, and two other abilities scores of your choice increase by 1.
    Size. Your size is Medium.
    Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
    Determined. When you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can reroll the roll, but before any effects of the roll are applied. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
    Versatile. You gain proficiency in a skill of your choice.

Variant Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

• Gritty Realism Rest Variant (DMG, p.267): Short Rests take 8 hours (night's rest) and Long Rests take 24 hours (a full day spent relaxing). Also a Breather/Quick Lunch, lasting ~ 15 minutes, which can be used to spend Hit Dice to heal.
    • Slow Natural Healing (DMG, p.267): Don't automatically regain HP at the end of a Long Rest, but can still spend Hit Dice to recover HP. Along with the default of recovering spent Hit Dice, up to half of your maximum (min 1, round up) at the end of a Long Rest, PCs also recover 1 Hit Dice at the end of a Short Rest.
    • Action Options (DMG, p.271-272): Climb Onto A Bigger Creature, Disarm, Overrun, Shove Aside, Tumble.
    • Flanking: Flanking confers a +2 bonus to melee attack rolls.
    • Grappled Casters: In order to cast a 1st or higher level spell that requires Somatic components while grappled or restrained, one must succeed on a DC 8+spell level Dexterity saving throw. On a failure, the spell fails but the spell slot or equivalent resource is not consumed. (I'm not sure if this is worth keeping)
    • Two-Weapon Fighting: A weapon can be drawn in each hand as part of an attack or move (default is only one).
    • Conviction/Raising-the-stakes: Pending, I'll need to look at this a bit more

Spoiler: SPELLS
    Show

True Strike: The spell first negates any disadvantage before applying advantage to the attack roll.

Feat Progression and Feat Tweaks
    Spoiler
    Show

Progression
    • Gain ASIs as default from your class. These can also be spent on feats as usual.
    • On CHARACTER levels 2, 6, 10, etc., gain a bonus feat. Any feat from the PHB, or Racial Feat from Xanathar's Guide to Everything.
    • If a bonus feat gives a +1 to an ability, and all applicable abilities are already at 20, you can add +1 to any other ability of your choosing.

Feat Changes
    • Defensive Duellist (PHB, p. 165): The feat can be used with any non-heavy sword or dagger. (previously required a finesse weapon).
    • Dual Wielder (PHB, p. 165): Drawing two weapons moved to the default TWF rules. ADD: If you can make two attacks with the Extra Attack class feature, you can make a second off-hand attack when you attack with your bonus action. This second attack does NOT add your ability damage.
    • Great Weapon Master (PHB, p.167): Keep bonus action as is. Remove -5/+10, replace with: When wielding a heavy melee weapon, increase your critical threat range to 19-20.
    • Heavily Armored (PHB, p.167): You also gain proficiency with shields if you don't already have it.
    • Martial Adept (PHB, p.168): You gain two (rather than one) Superiority Dice.
    • Polearm Master (PHB, p.168) The spear counts as a pole arm. The bonus action attack can only be made when two-handing the pole arm, and it has a reach of 5ft.
    • Ritual Caster (PHB, p.169): Prerequisite: Intelligence or Wisdom OR Charisma of 13 or higher.
    • Sharpshooter (PHB, p.170): Replace all with: Double the short range of your ranged weapon. Your ranged weapon attacks treat 3/4 cover as 1/2 cover, and ignore 1/2 cover. Increase the damage die of your ranged weapon attacks by one step: d4 -> d6 -> d8-> d10 -> d12.
    • Spell Sniper (PHB, p.170): Your ranged spell attacks treat 3/4 cover as 1/2 cover, and ignore 1/2 cover. Otherwise unchanged.
    • War Caster (PHB, p.170): As well as advantage on Concentration saving throws, you also have advantage on Dexterity saving throws made to cast spells with somatic components while Grappled or Restrained.

There are some weapon-specific feats from an Unearthed Arcana HERE that I am considering. As well, some feats for skills HERE.

Player Character Race/Class BackG. Feature Init. Notes
    Kaptin Keen Borgrim Wyldstrike Half-Orc Barbarian Black-Market Breeder +2
    iTookUrNick Benedict/Cesar Human Sor/Lock False Identity +3
    WalkingTheShade The Bloody Rose Tiefling Rogue/Wiz Heart of Darkness +9

If there is anything at all that is unclear, please let me know. Also if I've forgotten anything, or haven't addressed something that was brought up, let me know too!
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-17 at 09:20 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

Consumable Notes Held
    Scroll of Comprehend Languages (2) from Nicodemus' house Rosa
    Scroll of locate object (3) Rosa and Faust
    Potion of Alter Self from Nicodemus' house Rosa?
    Potion of Dragon's Breath from Nicodemus' house Rosa?
    Assorted Alchemical Reagents Quicksilver, lapis, cinnabar, mandrake, milk of poppy, adder's tongue Borgrim

Magic Items Notes Held
    Phosphorous Axe magic, 1d8. 1/day absorb acid Borgrim
    Moon-Sight Mirror Reveals true form of shapeshifters/ pierces illusions Rosa
    Black Onyx Amulet Spell Focus, attempt to cast cantrip you don't know Benedict
    Ivory Die Can control the number rolled ???

Spoiler: NPCs
    Show

NPC Notes Post
    Mirelle Carralif Daughter of Owen, the Mayor of Silverton #1
    Vedran Redbeard Son of Ambrus, Silverton's chief stonemason #1
    Ogden (Borgrim) Horse Trader, based near Silverton #1
    Owen Carralif Mayor of Silverton #1
    Ambrus Redbeard Silverton's chief stonemason, councilman #1
    Angelica Ruthgar Potter, Silverton councilwoman #1
    Gale Proudfeet Tanner, Silverton councilwoman #1
    Mr. Congent Innkeeper at the Old Toad Inn, Silverton #11
    Gillian Silverton guardswoman, witness to attack #15
    Caspar Hastings Bandit and would-be mugger, Singing Avenue. Deceased #43
    Corporal Rendal and Hurt Man-orc and half-ogre, city watch, #2 Garden Street #70
    Nicodemus Renowned wizard and old grump. Shack under the Singing Bridge #104
    Esme Rognar Mixed human and hobgoblin proprietor of The Mermaid, Weaver Street #137
    Niamh Rognar Daughter of Esme and server at The Mermaid, Weaver Street #141
    Moll, Stind, and Yorick Sparrow players at The Mermaid, Weaver Street #145
    Jherak Semi-retired Red Tiger Enforcer, The Mermaid, Weaver Street #145
    Rupert Glintstone Friendly, intoxicated halfling silversmith, The Mermaid, Weaver Street #145
    Sergeant DeAnna Longtooth (Faust) Level-headed orcish watchwoman. The Hog and Frog Inn, Singing Avenue #160
    Yuro Furtha Priest of At'ar, Temple of At'ar, Temple Street #172
    Roderick Novice of At'ar and helpful lad. Temple of At'ar, Temple Street #181
    Petra Novice of At'ar and witness to 'ritual'. Temple of At'ar, Temple Street #186
    Marigold Proprietor of Marigold's Emporium, selling flowers, jewelry, and oddities #239
    Hansel Tully Proprietor of The Spotted Dog, retired sea captain #239
    Georgie Tully's Half-Troll bouncer. Well-read and well-mannered #239
    Corwin Young boy rescued by Rosa and taken in by Tully #244
    Enfys Rat/Goblin/Thing, sewer guide in the employ of the Sea Hags #281
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2020-03-29 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Added consumables table.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Since we seem to be starting level 2 - it get's my vote, and already has Nick's - how do we roll HP? Is it just always max, or rerolls low rolls, or ..?!

For now, I'll assume normal rolls, meaning: (1d12+3)[12] for 2nd level for Borgrim.

Oh, also ... what feats do barbarians pick? I know everyone is all wet for great weapon master, but I'm not so convinced - it's all nice how advantage neutralises the -5 to hit, but everyone else also has advantage, so if more than one enemy is engaged, it's actually a big, whopping disadvantage. Of course Wog changed it, too, making it ... more palatable.

Oh, and further: I object to orks using foul dwarven script. What the hell is that all about. Us orks would never stoop so low. Orks don't need no stinkin' script - if'n us wants a message to last ... we shout it louder. GRAAHH!

Seriously though, I think Borgrim's tribe has a system of simple runic symbols that cannot really be considered a written language, but more a system of warnings and other information to be carved or written in coal or chalk on cave walls. Good for writing stuff like 'loot this way', 'beware the elves' or 'gas in this tunnel - no fire!' ... but piss poor for writing poetry and love letters.

Oh, oh ... Borgrim, finalised (I think).
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-05-05 at 02:29 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Borgrim looks like Gromul's long lost half-brother or maybe second cousin :D
    The moor outside Silverbrook might well be contiguous to Silverton on its opposite side?

I give you all the Bloody Rose.

I had a lot of inspiration for the backstory. I left a few things very generic (NPC names, church denomination, gangs, etc.) so the GM can fill the blanks to integrate my fluff as he likes.

As for crunch, I don't have more time today,

For memory:
    Harrowing Event - (1d10)[1] "A monster that slaughtered dozens of innocent people spared your life, and you don't know why." (Well, OK, I ignored that whole innocent thing.)
    Personality trait - (1d8)[1] "I don't run from evil. Evil runs from me."
    Ideal - (1d6)[4] "I have a dark calling that puts me above the law. (Chaotic)"
    Bond - (1d6)[5] "There's evil in me, I can feel it. It must never be set free."
    Flaw - (1d6)[6] "I talk to spirits that no one else can see."

Spoiler: The Bloody Rose
    Show
    Rosa has had more than a few names. To her father, she was My Sweet Little Flower. The tiefling girl was born to an ordinary family in an ordinary small town on the outskirts of Port Blacksand. Her father was a decent ironsmith and her mother a hatmaker. Her parents named her Rose of Dawn, which most town people pronounced as Rosadon. She was a frail child and more than winter went past she caught ugly fevers. More than once, her mother thought she'd loose her little girl. Yet, Rosa would invariably come through.

Rosadon was shy and withdrawn. She easily got afraid of other children's play: She thrived alone, in games happening in her own solitary world of imagination. Her parents took notice of her fancies. Rosadon seemed to have many friends in her own strange world. Her parents didn't think much of it. It was just child play and would pass with time. To the other children, Rosadon was strange and scary. They'd mock her or stay away, but that situation fit Rosadon just fine.

On Rosadon's thirteen winter, it was her father's turn to catch a dire fever. After helping her mother with her work, Rosadon would go to church every evening, despite cold and snow, and light a candle for her father's recovery.

All in all, it became a very dark winter. The town's priest took an unusual notice of young Rosadon. At first, he led her in her prayers. Then, he listened to her sadness. Last, the priest tried to cajole Rosadon into adulterous acts. Rosadon, not entirely naive, but shy and, anyway, entirely uninterested in such pursuits, stopped going to church. Her father didn't recover from the fever.

That's when Rosadon remembers feeling them for the first time, those small bumps on her forehead. Like many other young women, Rosadon took heavy precautions regarding her appearance. She hid those bumps under hats made her mother's workshop. She remembers her father's burial. Even though an overcast winter day, the sun would dazzle her. Instead of an eulogy, the priest accused Rosadon of being possessed and of having caused her father's demise. In front of their assembled friends and relatives, the priest decreed Rosadon was due for exorcism that same evening, in church. Rosadon's mother became palid. As much as Rosadon feared being left alone with the priest, her mother insisted that she go. She insisted that Rosa didn't know everything. It was for the best, her mother told her.

Rosadon relented. On her way to church, she remembers fear gripping her stomach and barely heard voices, from the shadows, urging her on. Of what happened in church, Rosadon remembers nothing. She remembers being back on her house's doorstep, covered in blood. She remembers her mother's shock. She remembers her mother gathering all they could carry. And then, they left town, in the dead of night.

Her mother's brother was a carpenter in Port Blacksand. They didn't tell him the truth of what happened. Even now, Rosadon doesn't know what the truth of all that is. Her uncle lodged them for a time.

At last, her mother told Rosadon her secret. On a cold autumn night, not long after her wedding, as her husband was away from town, an unholy presence entered the house. Rosadon's mother doesn't know what happened: she was transfixed by fear, as if under a dreadful spell. The interloping creature took what it came for. When it was over, Rosadon's mother immediately knew she would be with child. Of course, she thought of ending her pregnancy but fear of the creature returning and shame of the episode becoming known stopped her. Rosadon's true sire was not her father, but something entirely more pernicious. The small horns growing on her daugther's forehead, and her changing eyes, were the last proof her mother needed.

Rosadon didn't want to believe that tale. She ran from home. In the filthy streets of Blacksand, anything could have happened to her. Yet, her eyes now adjusted to darkness. Like a cat, she'd find somewhere to hide and sleep during the day. At night, she'd prowl, hunting and stealing to sustain herself. Time flew like that for over a few years. Eventually, Rosadon attracted wrong company. She let herself be tamed again. In the company of outcasts, her horns, her feline eyes and her dishevelled appearance didn't mark her as a monster. They knew her as Rosa, but more often then not, they'd call her Black Cat or simply Cat. She would come to the taverns, drink with them and dance to their songs. They thaught her to be a thief and to handle a knife. They knew Black Cat was strange. From time to time, she'd mumble to herself, not just swearing or grumbling, but having unusual conversations. Some said she was unlucky. More often than not, it seemed those who worked with her ended up dangling from the gallows or with a blade between the ribs. Once again, Cat was with the living, yet alone.

Cat, now a woman, started thinking about all that happened to her: Those petty gang-leaders, the pawnbrokers, the pimps and the madams, but also those useless watchmen and their sergeants, all of them, they were like her old town's priest. Other people were afraid of them, so they'd use that fear to take whatever they wanted. The voices whispered to Cat: She was not the Evil one, all those bullies were.

So Black Cat started prowling again. She'd lurk in the shadows, waiting for her quarry to be wandering drunk or home alone and asleep. She'd stab first, then slit throats. Corrupt guards, rapists, extortionists... she got a few of them. Until she became too proud of her work and thus careless.

That last gang she went after was much better organized than those petty hoodlums she had before. They saw her coming, wounded her, repelled her. They had a mage with them. With spells, they tracked her. They cornered her. They were too many for her to fight. They did not brag. They weren't amateurs. Her end would be swift and painless.

From the shadows, the monster came. Rosa remembers screams of terror, theirs and her own. When the screaming subsided and she opened her eyes, mangled, bloody bodies was all the monster left behind. Rosa was strangely untouched. The voices came again. They urged Rosa to take the dead mage's grimoire. Dark arts had the best of her? So Rosa should learn and make that power her own.

Since that time, Rosa has another name. In Blacksand, she's known as the Bloody Rose. She's known as the ruthless vengeance of the downtrodden, that strikes from the dark. Nobody but her knows what really happened to that gang. For now at least, everybody seems too afraid to mess with her. Rosa knows her undeserved reputation won't last or protect her forever, but she's going to leverage it as much as she can.

Since that time, also, the voices have stayed with her.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #5

Oh, what, a backstory now? Oh, look at me, I have a backstory!

Well I'll have you know Borgrim has a backstory too!

Borgrim was born into slavery in an orc tribe - but ran off, and eventually became a humble farmhand at a human ranch.

The farmer was a true frontiersman, and busily broke new land on the very outskirts of civilization. He also happily sent those with the least chance to say no to the thankless task of taming wild land and making it fertile. And so, one day when Borgrim was shifting rocks to make way for the plough, everything changed.

This new patch of land happened to also be part of the hunting ground of a great beast. It swooped down out of the sky, and quickly tore the farmer limb from limb - driving the farmhands before it, fighting desperately, until they sought refuge in a cave.

Here, Borgrim found what was to be his true destiny. At the back of the cave lay a dead adventurer, his bones entwined with those of the giant scorpion he had killed - before succumbing to it's poison.

Picking up the dead man's sword, Borgrim returned to the front of the cave. He tore off his torn farmers clothing, squared his shoulders and straightened his back. Locked his gaze with the huge beast. He remembered his heritage - remembered in particular the fearless rage of the orcs. With a resounding yell, he charged the beast, giant sword swinging.

Borgrim was a farmer no more.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    The RNG gave me that backstory. That's what I like about those 5e random backgrounds: you can make a few rolls, and then you only have to fill in the blanks to come up with something that sounds smart.

In my fanon, Borgrim is sooooo Gromul's long lost half-brother. Nobody can convince me otherwise.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    In my fanon, Borgrim is sooooo Gromul's long lost half-brother. Nobody can convince me otherwise.
    Oh - he is. Gromul's father, Malgore, took many human slaves, one of whom was Borgrim's mother, Anna. Female slaves don't survive long in an orc camp, so poor Borgrim grew up motherless, and ... while he did have a father, he never knew who. He was just one unwanted halfbreed child among many.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh - he is. Gromul's father, Malgore, took many human slaves, one of whom was Borgrim's mother, Anna. Female slaves don't survive long in an orc camp, so poor Borgrim grew up motherless, and ... while he did have a father, he never knew who. He was just one unwanted halfbreed child among many.
    HAHA! I knew it!

Oh, and I forgot to answer those:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    A few things:
    • Do you want to start at 1st or 2nd level?
    • Do you want to roll for HP or take the average?
    • Since I've given a bonus feat progression, do you still want the option to spend your regular ASI's on feats too? Or is that too much?
    • Finally, I was thinking of letting Rogues sneak attack with longswords, and with all light melee weapons (club, handaxe, sickle).
    • Starting level: I'm fine with anything.
    • HP: I prefer rolling after first level.
    • ASI for feats: More flexibility is better, so I'm for keeping the possibility to switch out ASI for a feat.
    • Longsword sneak attack: Well, it seems I'm the one concerned by this. Thing is, rogues are not proficient with longswords anyway, right? And I don't intend to dip fighter anytime soon, so I don't think it'll come up for my character any time soon anyways.

If there is anything at all that is unclear, please let me know. Also if I've forgotten anything, or haven't addressed something that was brought up, let me know too!
    Nope, everything is fine. I'm just waiting for confirmation regarding our starting level to finish my crunch.

EDIT: Wait! No! Everything is not fine. In case we start at level 2, can I switch out the rogue's shortbow/shortsword option for a hand crossbow?
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-05-05 at 09:33 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Since we seem to be starting level 2 - it get's my vote, and already has Nick's - how do we roll HP? Is it just always max, or rerolls low rolls, or ..?!

For now, I'll assume normal rolls, meaning: [roll0] for 2nd level for Borgrim.
    So it looks like 2 votes for level 2. It also looks like everyone is fine with rolling HP after 1st level, so well go with that. Re-roll 1s.

Oh, also ... what feats do barbarians pick? I know everyone is all wet for great weapon master, but I'm not so convinced - it's all nice how advantage neutralises the -5 to hit, but everyone else also has advantage, so if more than one enemy is engaged, it's actually a big, whopping disadvantage. Of course Wog changed it, too, making it ... more palatable.

Oh, and further: I object to orks using foul dwarven script. What the hell is that all about. Us orks would never stoop so low. Orks don't need no stinkin' script - if'n us wants a message to last ... we shout it louder. GRAAHH!

Seriously though, I think Borgrim's tribe has a system of simple runic symbols that cannot really be considered a written language, but more a system of warnings and other information to be carved or written in coal or chalk on cave walls. Good for writing stuff like 'loot this way', 'beware the elves' or 'gas in this tunnel - no fire!' ... but piss poor for writing poetry and love letters.

Oh, oh ... Borgrim, finalised (I think).
    This is all great! Just a note, I've tweaked the Keen effect from Great Weapon Master to apply only to Heavy weapons, but I'm assuming that doesn't really change anything for you.

I give you all the Bloody Rose.

I had a lot of inspiration for the backstory. I left a few things very generic (NPC names, church denomination, gangs, etc.) so the GM can fill the blanks to integrate my fluff as he likes.
    I've only taken a quick look at the backstory so far, but it looks great to me!

Well I'll have you know Borgrim has a backstory too!
    A quick look through this and I'm sold

• Starting level: I'm fine with anything.
    • HP: I prefer rolling after first level.
    • ASI for feats: More flexibility is better, so I'm for keeping the possibility to switch out ASI for a feat.
    • Longsword sneak attack: Well, it seems I'm the one concerned by this. Thing is, rogues are not proficient with longswords anyway, right? And I don't intend to dip fighter anytime soon, so I don't think it'll come up for my character any time soon anyways.
    Rogues do get longsword proficiency, I assume mainly for legacy reasons. It would mainly be useful for a Strength-based rogue, however, so it may not matter much.

EDIT: Wait! No! Everything is not fine. In case we start at level 2, can I switch out the rogue's shortbow/shortsword option for a hand crossbow?
    Yes, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ITookUrNick
    If I go Wild, I want to go WILD. I want things to happen as often as possible. No half measures. Let the magic flow!
    Incidentally, if you've seen the table and found it too predictable and lacking variety, there are several fan/made tables that include up to 10k random effects.

At the same time, I think I'll try to mitigate the madness (on me at least). I'm strongly considering Lucky + Human for the rerolls.

I would also suggest starting at 2nd level. It's especially useful for those who plan to multi class as their character concept.
    I am fully onboard for all of this! Lucky + Human seems like a potent combination. I haven't looked through the default tables much at all; I'll probably look up some more up just for the sake of variety when I get the chance.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to mention: per the PHB, p.126, "Customizing A Background", you can mix and match background benefits however you like to fit your character. Just make sure you have two (2) skill proficiencies, two (2) tool or language proficiencies (in any combination), and a Feature. If you can't find a Feature that fits what you want for your character, let me know and we'll work something out.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-05 at 10:06 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I see everyone is quickly getting ready to start, while I am still ironing out a few kinks.
    I decided upon my character: he is going to be a Human Sorcerer/Warlock (Pact of the Tome) multi class. He'll obviously be charismatic and all.

When I set out to create this character, I was thinking of a support position. I thought that perhaps a Divine Soul could be of use, since it has access to all Cleric spells including Bless, Sanctuary, etc. Coupled with a Raven Queen Warlock, that comes with a raven that can use the help action to give the advantage on attack rolls to another player, and the Inspiring Leader feat, he would certainly be of help. Add twin spell and he would be able to buff the others simultaneously. He would have to be a serious sort of person too, to be so preoccupied with helping others, not to mention that the Raven Queen does not sound like fun and giggles.

However, I am somewhat attracted by Wild Magic, and I find that attraction both odd and interesting, since I am usually very averse to roll-based mechanics. And I suppose Wild Magic can also be used supportively, both by getting advantage on specific skills (usually out of combat) and later on by using Bend Luck as needed. To continue on the Luck and Chance thematic, I would add Hexblade for its curse (bad luck) and Lucky for good luck. Finally, I would have him play a role that requires a fair amount of skill and luck both; i took some inspiration from the count of Monte Cristo and had him out for revenge.

In the end, I am leaning towards the second take. here's what I did so far. However, i could also be talked into going back towards the first design.

Spoiler: HPs
    Show
    HP - (1d8)[8]
    HPifTHEfirstISaONE - (1d8)[7]
    HPifTHEsecondISalsoAone - (1d8)[8]
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    Ok, I see everyone is quickly getting ready to start, while I am still ironing out a few kinks.
    Don't feel like you need to rush to finish a char! I still won't be ready to start for a little while yet.

In the end, I am leaning towards the second take. here's what I did so far. However, i could also be talked into going back towards the first design.
    I'm perfectly happy with either of the ideas you've presented. I'd strongly encourage you to play what you want to play . If at some point in the future you change your mind, we can work something out.

A few relevant points on Sorcerers/Warlocks, in case you haven't seen the most recent Errata for the PHB (it's mostly clarification):
    • Flexible Casting: "Any spell slot you create with this feature vanishes when you finish a long rest."
    • Wild Magic Surge: Can only activate once per turn. "If that effect {wild magic surge} is a spell, it is too wild to be affected by your Metamagic, and if it normally requires concentration, it doesn’t require concentration in this case; the spell lasts for its full duration.”
    • Pact of the Tome: The 3 bonus Cantrips don't all have to come from the same class.
    • Book of Ancient Secrets (Warlock invocation): The spells don't have to come from the same class.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

So ... we're going to be a barbarian, a rogue and a foul sorcerer? Well, that's not so bad, I guess. Obviously, Borgrim's expextations of what foul sorcery can do at low levels do not even remotely match reality, but it's obvious to him that if you sell your soul willingly, at the very least you'd demand great power in return.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't feel like you need to rush to finish a char! I still won't be ready to start for a little while yet.

I'm perfectly happy with either of the ideas you've presented. I'd strongly encourage you to play what you want to play . If at some point in the future you change your mind, we can work something out.
    Good to know. And thanks for the kind reply.

However, what I wanted to say is that I like both concepts, though one wrote itself more easily. The reason I was asking you and the other players is because in my mind the starting characters are to a story what ingredients are to a recipe: they form the basis of the end result, though what you do with them is certainly important.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but we do have some serious murderhobo potential. Do we want to temper it with a selfless, if somewhat severe, character who will try and certainly fail to curtail the two other characters' worst impulses, possibly growing cynical in the process? Possibly an older man of distinction in the city watch, who has seen budget cuts reduce the resources at his disposal until he literally cannot afford to choose which vagrants he has to work with, but tries anyway?

Or do we want to double down on the chaos with a man who lies so much that has become borderline schizophrenic, is not in full control of his destructive power and is on a murder mission to purge what he sees as corrupted members of the society as a result of losing everything he holds dear?

Both positions have merit, for me at least, so I was trying to gauge what the others thought.

A few relevant points on Sorcerers/Warlocks, in case you haven't seen the most recent Errata for the PHB (it's mostly clarification):
    • Flexible Casting: "Any spell slot you create with this feature vanishes when you finish a long rest."
    • Wild Magic Surge: Can only activate once per turn. "If that effect {wild magic surge} is a spell, it is too wild to be affected by your Metamagic, and if it normally requires concentration, it doesn’t require concentration in this case; the spell lasts for its full duration.”
    • Pact of the Tome: The 3 bonus Cantrips don't all have to come from the same class.
    • Book of Ancient Secrets (Warlock invocation): The spells don't have to come from the same class.
    Everything seems fine or better on the list.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #14

I never play murder-hobo's. I can't. I've tried, but my basic human nature will not be denied: I will always help and never harm the innocent.

It's even worse in computer games, particularly those specifically lending themselves to our baser instincts - like Fallout 1&2, and Tyranny. I cannot force myself to play anything but the good guy.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

However, what I wanted to say is that I like both concepts, though one wrote itself more easily. The reason I was asking you and the other players is because in my mind the starting characters are to a story what ingredients are to a recipe: they form the basis of the end result, though what you do with them is certainly important.
    Agreed! I'm open to any remarks concerning my own character.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but we do have some serious murderhobo potential.
    Is there a low level PC party that doesn't... ? I think the Bond part of the 5e background is meant to mitigate that.

In the case of my character, I see her as vicious towards anything she sees as Evil (and not just as bad behavior, Evil with a capital E) and protective of everyone else. Granted, her definition of Evil, wait no, she's got no clear definition of Evil.

Do we want to temper it with a selfless, if somewhat severe, character who will try and certainly fail to curtail the two other characters' worst impulses, possibly growing cynical in the process? Possibly an older man of distinction in the city watch, who has seen budget cuts reduce the resources at his disposal until he literally cannot afford to choose which vagrants he has to work with, but tries anyway?
    That would complete the party with a straight man. Borgrim and Rose will have a fight to the death to decide on the remaining spots.

Or do we want to double down on the chaos with a man who lies so much that has become borderline schizophrenic, is not in full control of his destructive power and is on a murder mission to purge what he sees as corrupted members of the society as a result of losing everything he holds dear?
    That's somewhat similar to my own character's gist. The Bloody Rose is basically magic crazy batman for now.

Both positions have merit, for me at least, so I was trying to gauge what the others thought.
    Both possibilities will tug the party in a different direction. The first possibility may well balance out the party, but the inter-party arguments may get repetitive. The second possibility will give the party more synergy towards individual goals, which may be good a thing. It'll also probably push the story towards all-out gang war, Boyz N the Hood style, which may or may not be a good thing, depending what the GM is aiming for.

I never play murder-hobo's. I can't. I've tried, but my basic human nature will not be denied: I will always help and never harm the innocent.
    And it also takes a lot of trust with every other player and GM to be able to play a coherent Evil character. All Evil games can be fun too, as long as everyone is clear they tend to get closer to a Diplomacy board-game.

It's even worse in computer games, particularly those specifically lending themselves to our baser instincts - like Fallout 1&2, and Tyranny. I cannot force myself to play anything but the good guy.
    Aaaaah, Fallout 2. I have this fond memory of using the Explosives and Pick-pocket skills in tandem to loot merchants:
    1. Explosives: Set the trigger on the explosive to 5 minutes,
    2. Pick-pocket: Plant your bunch of dynamite+timer in the merchant's pants,
    3. Walk outside the shop,
    4. Take a few minutes rest,
    5. ...
    6. Profit.

Level 2 HP - (1d6+2)[3]
    Oh, and it seems my background gives me only a language proficiency, but it also gives me one of those: Trinket - (1d100)[100]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I need to reroll those HP: Reroll HP 1 - (1d6+2)[8], Reroll HP 2 - (1d6+2)[4]. I can't believe this luck. It's making me nervous.

My trinket is: "A vial of perfume, the scent of which only certain creatures can detect." I'll suppose Rose can smell it, because of her Tiefling blood, but doesn't realize that other people can't. Unless someone has a better idea?

EDIT:

My character's crunch is done.

How do you adjudicate reloading of a hand crossbow? Do you need to have the other hand free? Or can you reload it while holding a dagger? A shortsword? Reloading rules are a bit sparse in 5e. The only thing it says is that you can't shoot a reload weapon more than once in the same round? By RAW, it seems possible to reload while holding something in the other hand, but I may be confused here...
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-05-06 at 04:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Unless someone has a better idea?
    Well, it could be something specific - like a scent only detectable by dogs, or wyverns. Something that could one day come in handy as a distraction, or bait, or something.

What are these 'backgrounds' I hear tell of? Can I have one too, and will it give me substantial advantages I will otherwise lack?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it could be something specific - like a scent only detectable by dogs, or wyverns. Something that could one day come in handy as a distraction, or bait, or something.

What are these 'backgrounds' I hear tell of? Can I have one too, and will it give me substantial advantages I will otherwise lack?
    Yes, you need one! It gives some bonuses too. Try this or search for 5e backgrounds.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, well, my idea was to subtly nudge the GM towards a scent detectable only by fiends. Ahem.

Yes, you need one! It gives some bonuses too. Try this or search for 5e backgrounds.
    Hoping I won't appear pedantic, I like the interface of the following site better. I believe it to be easier to search and navigate

EDIT: Oh, and Nick? We should coordinate on cantrip/spell selections. No need for both characters to have the same selection. I intend to concentrate on utilities and stealth/mobility buffs, with some control options (as opposed to combat buffs or blasts).
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-05-06 at 07:57 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

I should get a background that offers stealth, right? Since .. armor is for weaker men, I don't need to worry about negative modifiers. Only my crappy dex =)

Backstory, addendum: Did temp work as a bandit, stealing horses and hiding out:
    - If people don't secure their ****, they mustn't want it very much. Effetively, if it isn't nailed down and guarded by an angry rhino, it basically belongs to me.
    - Loyalty (no, that in itself doesn't make me lawful dammit).
    - Once you've ridden with me and fought by my side, I'll be there for you odds be damned.
    - I talk to animals - they understand me, and if you doubt that, well then obviously they're smarter than you are.

Gains Stealth and Animal Handling.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-05-06 at 08:48 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Good to know. And thanks for the kind reply.
    *SNIP*

I think I'll let you guys decide this. I don't want to push you toward one thing or another. For my part, as long as you don't immediately murder and rob everyone you meet, I'll be able to work with an unscrupulous party .

It'll also probably push the story towards all-out gang war, Boyz N the Hood style, which may or may not be a good thing, depending what the GM is aiming for.
    I'd certainly be fine with this. At the moment, I'm not aiming for anything specific outside of the starting scenario and the general setting it provides; obviously stuff might come up depending on how it plays out. Also, the campaign needn't stay in Port Blacksand (just to be clear).

Well, I need to reroll those HP: [roll0], [roll1]. I can't believe this luck. It's making me nervous.
    I guess that's my cue to start laughing maniacally .

My character's crunch is done.

How do you adjudicate reloading of a hand crossbow? Do you need to have the other hand free? Or can you reload it while holding a dagger? A shortsword? Reloading rules are a bit sparse in 5e. The only thing it says is that you can't shoot a reload weapon more than once in the same round? By RAW, it seems possible to reload while holding something in the other hand, but I may be confused here...
    I'll use the default TWF rules for hand crossbows, and allow you to reload with a light weapon in your other hand (which could be another hand crossbow, if you so desired.) So that means that you could have the crossbow as either your main-hand or off-hand weapon, and (without the Two Weapon Fighting Style) you would only add your ability modifier to the damage of your main hand. The Crossbow Expert Feat would allow you to make a bonus action attack with the same hand crossbow used for your main attack, and add your ability modifier to the damage for both. I hope that's clear.

Yeah, well, my idea was to subtly nudge the GM towards a scent detectable only by fiends. Ahem.
    Consider myself nudged .

I should get a background that offers stealth, right? Since .. armor is for weaker men, I don't need to worry about negative modifiers. Only my crappy dex =)

Backstory, addendum: Did temp work as a bandit, stealing horses and hiding out:
    - If people don't secure their ****, they mustn't want it very much. Effetively, if it isn't nailed down and guarded by an angry rhino, it basically belongs to me.
    - Loyalty (no, that in itself doesn't make me lawful dammit).
    - Once you've ridden with me and fought by my side, I'll be there for you odds be damned.
    - I talk to animals - they understand me, and if you doubt that, well then obviously they're smarter than you are.

Gains Stealth and Animal Handling.
    Remember that you also get a Feature from your background. If you don't want to use the Bandit one, then you can choose one from any other background.

On another note, I've been thinking a little about wider setting concerns. I don't want to fiddle too much with the default DnD assumptions, but I was considering making most of the pantheon much more localized (cities having their own gods/patron saints, that sort of thing), and adding a number of others. Of course, you'd be able to find all sorts of different worshipers in the larger cities (Port Blacksand in particular), due to the prevalence of trade and travel.

In terms of geography, setting Port Blacksand on a shared sea with many other city states and kingdoms seems like a good idea to me. It allows for the coastal areas to be relatively 'civilized', and more inland areas being wilder and unknown. I've been doing some reading on the Bronze Age and the Late Bronze Age Collapse (in the East Mediterranean, Asia Minor, North Africa) in particular. I like the idea of including rumours/news of a few distant cities having been razed in recent years as a sort of background flavour. If you've got any thoughts I'd be happy to hear them.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-06 at 10:33 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Remember that you also get a Feature from your background. If you don't want to use the Bandit one, then you can choose one from any other background.

On another note, I've been thinking a little about wider setting concerns. I don't want to fiddle too much with the default DnD assumptions, but I was considering making most of the pantheon much more localized (cities having their own gods/patron saints, that sort of thing), and adding a number of others. Of course, you'd be able to find all sorts of different worshipers in the larger cities (Port Blacksand in particular), due to the prevalence of trade and travel.

In terms of geography, setting Port Blacksand on a shared sea with many other city states and kingdoms seems like a good idea to me. It allows for the coastal areas to be relatively 'civilized', and more inland areas being wilder and unknown. I've been doing some reading on the Bronze Age and the Late Bronze Age Collapse (in the East Mediterranean, Asia Minor, North Africa) in particular. I like the idea of including rumours/news of a few distant cities having been razed in recent years as a sort of background flavour. If you've got any thoughts I'd be happy to hear them.
    A stolen-horse trader seems like just the thing a half-orc barbarian hero of dubious virtue should know - that's perfect. We can sell all the horses we take from our dead enemies.

Borgrim will venerate a bewildering number of essentially nameless orcish deities/legends/ancestors/random folk who made a name for themselves. Remember, the greatest of gods may be the most powerful - but a tiny kinda-sorta deity such as 'Uhlgrum, that guy in that legend who killed that dragon or wyvern or whatever - or was is Grumuhl .. him, anyways' get's nowhere near the same number of prayers, so there's a greater chance he hears you. Whether he can help is another matter.

The Late Bronze Age Collapse is way cool: So, some group or groups of people went all around the mediterannean and killed everyone, and we basically have no idea who - it's wonderfully vague and you can do almost exactly what you want with it. Personally, I'm gunning for the Atlanteans - after their island sank, they went on a revenge-roundtrip before resigning themselves to the void.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

EDIT: Oh, and Nick? We should coordinate on cantrip/spell selections. No need for both characters to have the same selection. I intend to concentrate on utilities and stealth/mobility buffs, with some control options (as opposed to combat buffs or blasts).
    Well, I have a ton of cantrips (and I will have even more if I continue down the path I chose) but precious few actual spells. I will need them to be useful on a variety of situation, and possibly rely on hitting things with a beat stick or with Eldritch Blast. In fact, at times I might decide to try my luck with a wild magic explosion.

What path were you thinking of taking with the wizard side of things?

Also, after your comments I decided to incorporate the straight man into my background. Except that he is only half of it: I'll have a persona making trouble in the underworld and another investigating it. Talk about juggling plates.

As for the Mediterranean Collapse thing, I was unaware of it. How is that possible?
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-06 at 12:31 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

24. - Top - End - #24

I'll just be ... over here - not casting any spells .....

*grumble foul sorcerers grumble grumble*

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

But you'll be the tip of the spear! We'll cast spells on you!

Also, spell slots recharge weekly. I don't foresee much spellcasting.

Edit: this late bronze age collapse shares a lot of similarities to today's situation. quite foreboding.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-06 at 02:49 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

26. - Top - End - #26

Edit: this late bronze age collapse shares a lot of similarities to today's situation. quite foreboding.
    Well - honestly, I doubt we'll see another round of mysterious raiders destroying civilizations around the mediterannean ... but if we do, it's a lot more foreboding to you than to the rest of us

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick
    As for the Mediterranean Collapse thing, I was unaware of it. How is that possible?
    Here's the link to the Wikipedia article, if you've not seen it.

Also, spell slots recharge weekly. I don't foresee much spellcasting.
    Just to clarify, I won't be limiting Long Rests to once a week. They'll still take 24 hours, though. Which will probably work out to ~two a week, I would guess.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-06 at 03:19 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Just to clarify, I won't be limiting Long Rests to once a week. They'll still take 24 hours, though. Which will probably work out to ~two a week, I would guess.
    Ha! My primary power (that of swinging a great big sword) recharges every round :p

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'll let you guys decide this. I don't want to push you toward one thing or another. For my part, as long as you don't immediately murder and rob everyone you meet, I'll be able to work with an unscrupulous party .

I'd certainly be fine with this. At the moment, I'm not aiming for anything specific outside of the starting scenario and the general setting it provides; obviously stuff might come up depending on how it plays out. Also, the campaign needn't stay in Port Blacksand (just to be clear).
    Noted.

I'll use the default TWF rules for hand crossbows, and allow you to reload with a light weapon in your other hand (which could be another hand crossbow, if you so desired.) So that means that you could have the crossbow as either your main-hand or off-hand weapon, and (without the Two Weapon Fighting Style) you would only add your ability modifier to the damage of your main hand. The Crossbow Expert Feat would allow you to make a bonus action attack with the same hand crossbow used for your main attack, and add your ability modifier to the damage for both. I hope that's clear.
    Understood.

By the way, here are the feats I'm thinking of, in no specific order: Mage slayer, crossbow expert, skulker, sniper, mobility.

Consider myself nudged .
    Haha... ha... wait, why am I nervously laughing?

All of that seems great! Now I'm thinking of stealing this for a game...

Well, I have a ton of cantrips (and I will have even more if I continue down the path I chose) but precious few actual spells. I will need them to be useful on a variety of situation, and possibly rely on hitting things with a beat stick or with Eldritch Blast. In fact, at times I might decide to try my luck with a wild magic explosion.

What path were you thinking of taking with the wizard side of things?
    Utility, control and stealth. I'll also pick up spells that can be cast as rituals, as they're going to be even more useful given the rest limitations.

I picked up Message, True Strike and Minor Illusion as wizard cantrips. Tieflings also get Thaumaturgy as a racial power.
    Level 1 spells:
    Utility: Identify, Detect magic, Find familiar
    Control: Grease
    Control/Stealth: Sleep
    And also, Tasha's hideous laughter because I just love the story behind that spell.

I don't know what wizard specialization I'll pick.

Let's note that Arcane Recovery let's a Wizard recover one slot after a short rest. Knowing that I only have 2 level one slots anyways...

By the way, is it OK if I start game with a familiar already summoned? (Thanks to the Find familiar spell?)

Also, after your comments I decided to incorporate the straight man into my background. Except that he is only half of it: I'll have a persona making trouble in the underworld and another investigating it. Talk about juggling plates.
    Glad to be of use. So we're both Batman, right? Except you're the Lawful Batman and I'm the Chaotic Batman?
    Spoiler: Batman
    Show

What is it Borgrim? Timmy fell down a well?

Yes, superstitious barbarian, we'll put a spell on you!
    Spoiler: Spell on you!
    Show

Well - honestly, I doubt we'll see another round of mysterious raiders destroying civilizations around the mediterannean ... but if we do, it's a lot more foreboding to you than to the rest of us
    Or maybe at long last, after the nuclear war/climate change/sea rise civilization collapse, the Danes will reclaim their ancestral heritage, raze their forests, build longships and start again raiding from North sea to Mediterranean.

Ha! My primary power (that of swinging a great big sword) recharges every round :p
    The legendary half-orc libido... wait wait wait, are we talking about the same thing?

30. - Top - End - #30

Or maybe at long last, after the nuclear war/climate change/sea rise civilization collapse, the Danes will reclaim their ancestral heritage, raze their forests, build longships and start again raiding from North sea to Mediterranean.
    I believe people tend to misunderstand about the danes.

Early danes became the saxons, then later danes became the normans, then saxons and normans duked it out. Normans retreated to France, then went back to Britain - then went to North America. It's true that danish kings do not rule the world. But danes do - France, Great Brittain, the US. Oh, and Scandinavia. It gets rather confusing who the 'original' people of the british isles are supposed to be, if not danes. The picts? At any rate, they're long gone. We're all that's left.

At least, that's how I view history =)

The legendary half-orc libido... wait wait wait, are we talking about the same thing?
    ... yes!