Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default [OOC] [Risus] -ish: Tales of the Old Continent

OOC thread for Tales of the Old Continent.
    Current Players:

Character Concept Player
    Aleksander Bryza A lost young man Kaworu
    Dr. Cassidy Kieran O'Kane A Fox-Mulder-y folklorist in his late 30s werehounding
    Francesca Carina Bardi A mix between Lara Croft and Indiana Jones. Darkstorm

Use this thread for any questions. Dice rolls will be in the IC, in spoiler tag.
    please, make sure that your first post here is your character sheet, including your choice of color and font for the posting.
    Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight EVERYTHING with fire!
    Jaya Ballard - Task Mage ™

2. - Top - End - #2

BlackDragon

Default Re: [OOC] [Risus] -ish: Tales of the Old Continent

Francesca Carina Bardi

Concept: A mix between Lara Croft and Indiana Jones.

Clichés:
    Tomb Raider 4: "In my time as a PHD student I've done my share of Tomb Raiding. From Gize and Machu Pichu to the secret undergrounds beneath the Partenon. Ancient puzzles, High jumps, Edge grasping, Artifact searching, life threatning slides? I did it all. And then I went for breakfast, because it was still early in the morning!"
    History professor 3: "A library bookworm since I can read. Myths and mythology are the bread and butter of my teen years, besides the focus of my Phd. I also teach at the University, and have read (and made some comments and corrections) to half the books in there."
    Italian Blood 2: "You know how the we are. We just need a bottle of wine and a smile to make friends with anyone."
    Connections 1: "You need a flight? I know a guy that owns me a favor that knows a girl that has a brother that can help ou with that. For sure. Don't worry, leave it to me."

Spoiler: Personality and appearance
    Show

Personality: Fun with a twisted humor, she is easily angered when put in doubt. Something she attibutes to her Italian Blood, but that has made her look bad in several ocasions, especially in the scientific community. Her students love her, and she is known to go on wild ramblings about the truth behind the stories.

Appearance: Brown auburn hair, green eyes and athletic body, she usually dresses casualy. But she also has those dresses and stilletos to make you drool!

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show

Born in Florence, in the midst of a middle class family, Francesca always thought she was in part descendant of the great painter Donatello (Donato Bardi).
    From an early age she engaged in reading her two favorite subjects: history and Myths and the real stories behind them. As a child she used to imagine what real things made the stories of mythology. That focus grew and matured with time.
    As she reached university she took several courses in history and learned that there wasn't an answer, Time destroys and smudges everything.
    Everything we think we know isnt't real.
    She had some heated discussion with some of her professors... And somehow overcame that to be accepted as a Phd Grantee. She travelled the world and found hidden artifacts, monuments and rooms. Now, with 29, she is stuck in classes, teaching.
    She Is looked upon as "stranger", "crazy" and "wild" theories girl.

Francesca will speak in Emerald Green
    Last edited by Darkstorm; 2020-03-19 at 04:49 AM.
    Creativity is my weapon of choice!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Dr. Cassidy Kieran O'Kane

Concept: A Fox-Mulder-y folklorist in his late 30s, who has had odd encounters with potential mythological beasts that lead him to be an amateur cryptid enthusiast and conspiracy theorist.

Clichés:
    Conspiracy Theorist Folklorist with a PhD (4): Cassidy has a professorship at an Irish university, and teaches courses on Irish and European folklore. He secured tenure in the 90s with a series of groundbreaking translations and interpretations of newly-discovered Irish folkloric tales, nothing like any that had been seen before. He knows people in academic circles, and has academic resources - even if some more 'legitimate' folks might dismiss him.
    Irish Smooth-talking Polyglot (3): Cassidy's native language growing up was Irish. Nowadays, his research necessitates familiarity with language. He also speaks Gaelic, English, Italian, Russian, and rusty-but-passable French.
    Amateur Cryptid-Spotter and Fae-Watcher (2): Since childhood and numerous encounter with the odd, Cassidy has had an enthusiasm for fairy and folktales. He frequently browses forums for cryptid-spotting in Ireland and Europe at large, and he has a whole library in his apartment of related books. He's a little prone to paranoia, though, and making connections where there might not really be any.
    Former Petty-Criminal Lowlife (1): During undergraduate and graduate school, Cassidy could barely afford a studio apartment; he ended up living in a slum just outside Dublin while working through his degrees. His job as a TA left him with enough to cover rent but precious little for anything else, and after too many cold winter months with no heating and weeks on end with nothing in the fridge, he ended up turning to petty crime - mostly shoplifting and selling pawn shops hot merchandise. While he hasn't done it since he got a comfortable professorship a few years ago, he could probably slum it if needed, and pick up the sneaking-about and such again - with a little practice.
    Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Cassidy was born in central Dublin to a working-class family. As a young teen, he had an encounter he's convinced is a result of running into fae. While visiting his grandparents, who lived a short distance from an alleged fae hotspot, he decided to venture into the woods, and there he found a mysterious man with deer antlers, who introduced himself as Tarandus. He talked to the deer-antler-man, who had a strange and alluring voice and appearance, for what felt like hours - but was, in reality, probably just a few minutes.
    However, when the man asked him his name, Cassidy suddenly remembered his grandparents' warnings about fae; primarily, never tell them your name. He fled, and suddenly found himself waking up in the grass to the face of his grandmother leaning over him, asking if he was alright. Since then, he's had encounters with the strange fairly frequently, which led him to going into folklore and acquiring a PhD in the subject.
    Recently, he's leaned more and more into the 'strange' aspects; leading to him not getting many papers published and subtle hints from the chair of the Folklore Department to find new material. He traveled to Italy on the recommendation of a colleague who'd just attended an anthropology conference there, looking for new topics of research - and perhaps new folktales to discover.

Spoiler: Personality & Appearance
    Show
    Personality-wise, Cassidy likes to curate a somewhat reserved and 'professor-ly' attitude. However, he's easily excitable; if you get him talking about his research, folktales, fae encounters, or anything of the sort, he'll light up and star talking a mile a minute. He's got a fairly thick Irish accent. Sometimes jokes or sarcasm can go over his head. Appearance-wise, he's roughly 5'7 and skinny. He has thick, curly black hair that he keeps to about an inch or two in length, and tends to wear dark or neutral clothes. He usually wears a pair of earrings with small Brigid's crosses on them, believing them to be good luck, along with other (generally vintage) jewelry.

Cassidy will take teal for speaking.
    Currently playing:
    Kvasir Veles in The King's Bastard Princesses
    Kafziel Ciarán in Riding the Chimera
    Cassidy Kieran O'Kane in Tales of the Old Continent

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aleksander Bryza

Chosen color: Blue

Concept: A lost young man.

Cliches:

• Scientific wannabe (1) – Aleksander always wanted to be a scientist. Sadly, he never studies his beloved biology, trying to make himself glad with a Matura diploma, Wikipedia and those few scientific journals that are open-access.
    • Writer (2) – Alex writes quite good, but is not sure if he could see his own writing in print. It’s more of a hobby than anything else, and to be honest he writes just because he likes that, not for some financial gain.
    • Language talented (1) – Mr. Bryza speaks only his native Polish and English, but recently started to learn basics of Spanish. He would like to speak every major European language at some point, but wanna take it step by step at his own pace.
    • IT guy (1) – Aleksander had finished a basic IT course at center of adult education, but is not too good with computers. More of an encyclopedia of facts than skillful worker, to be sure.
    • Practicing occultist (3) – he knows his Tarot, numerology and astrology just fine and even has a nice wand with a crystal at the top. Just a spiritual person with an unorthodox religion, one might say.
    • Cooking adept (2) – because why eat poorly when you can cook yourself a nice meal?

BACKSTORY

Spoiler
    Show
    Aleksander had always a dream – to become a scientist. When mental illness stuck him at age of barely 20, it all fell apart. 6 years later he is still uneducated and unemployed, but at least he has social security money, so in fact he does not have to work – even if that would be therapeutic. Aside from his mental illness, he has self-esteem issues, enforced by various medical documents stating him “unable to any kind of work” and “of poor prognosis”.
    Still, he dreams. Of being a biologist one day. Of writing career. Of tasting and preparing all the tasty dishes the world has to offer. Even of programming his very own computer game and speaking more languages than there are fingers of his hands.
    Just dreams, but they help him going. Doesn’t matter if they will never become fulfilled. He desperately needs something to distract him from his grim existence.

EDIT: as to a reason to be in Northern Italy in winter, hm... maybe he went there with his family for Christmas? Like, vacation in winter? ;-)
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2020-03-19 at 11:38 AM.
    LGBTitP, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter
    My long singature

5. - Top - End - #5

RedSorcererGirl

@Kaworu: yes, let's say that "tourism" is good enough for a reason.

So, here is the IC thread.

Post at your own pace. Everything on Play-by-Post is a bit sandbox-y, by definition. So feel free to interact as you please.
    Make sure that you understand those modifications on the system that I wrote (I'll copy-paste them here, anyway). You can ask anything anytime.
    Have fun

Spoiler: Special Rules for dice resolution
    Show

See, I am looking for some dice mechanic that fits the "play by post" mode. I need something that
    * Minimizes the number of dice "exchanges" (I roll, then you roll, then I roll again, then I can resolve the action).
    * Gives the player, with a single roll, some insight on how the action is going to resolve, and even some ideas, or hooks for interpretation and cinematic description.
    That's why I'd like to use the following system:

- You take all the rules from Risus, cliches and all the rest, but for dice resolution, you do the following instead:
    - You roll all the dice as for your cliches
    - You compare your dice with those of the opponent, using the "Risiko" system
    (Your best die against her best die, your second-best against her second-best, and so on).
    - Every time you win a die, it is a success for you, every time your opponent does, it is a success for her. Ties are ignored (normally). For every success scored, you "damage" the opponent's dice pool, reducing it for the following rolls of the contest, and vice versa.
    - The contest continues, reroll after reroll, until someone disengages (if applicable), or a dice pool is reduced to zero. When this happens, the guy without dice left is the loser. the winner decides the destiny of the loser.

- The successes are considered ONLY on the dice that are actually compared. If my opponent rolls five dice and scores 2, 3, 2, 1, 4, and I roll one die and score 5, it is still a single success for me and zero for my opponent.
    - Whoever scores a higher total, REGARDLESS of the successes, gets to choose how the action continues. (e.g. if there is a fight, and one of the fighters wants to disengage, scoring a higher total is his occasion to do so). In case of a tie, PG wins and decides.
    - A player can choose to roll a lower amount of dice as his cliches would allow. It could for example mean that he or she wants to fight defensively, or prolong a fight untill some reinforcements arrive. Rolling less dice means that you have less possibility to score high and damage the other, but also your dice pool will be damaged more slowly, because you only loose dice if you roll them.

Spoiler: Damage after the contest, and collateral effects
    Show

Depending on the type of contest, you may cause and collect "damage" that stays even after the contest. That damage stays in form of a negative dice "cliche", until healed. For example, you may win a sword-fight, but some or all of the dice pool "damage" that you have sustained will stay as "wounded(-X)" cliche that will apply to subsequent fights. You tried and seduce a very attractive NPC, and failed, but your friend succeeded: you may have a "battered morale(-1)" cliche for a day or so.
    You will know at the beginning of each fight what negative cliche you risk, if any, and which rules will apply.
    You may also gain, according to the situation, collateral buffs or debuffs, in the form of temporary cliches. If it is appropriate to the character, you may for example gain the enraged(+X) cliche for a duration of the fight, that is substituted by the Exhausted(-X) cliche at the end. In other words, the Storyteller should be able to assign temporary cliches according to the situation.

Spoiler: Other temporary cliches
    Show

Other than buffs or debuffs, you can have temporary cliches if you have a specific object, or a weapon. Or if you are in a specific condition or position in the space. Some of your existing cliches may or may not be applicable according to the same conditions above.

Spoiler: No-contest actions.
    Show

Not everything requires a contest roll, in which two or more parties fight against each other. If you need to lift something heavy or pick a lock, it makes no sense to match opposite rolls. You will simply roll your cliches against a fixed array (like, [3, 3, 3], or [4, 2, 1]). Obviously, the bigger the array, the more difficult or long the task, and the more "skill" a character will need to solve, and to control the outcome. Tweaking every number in the array will model how the difficulty of a task raises or decreases with time and attempts. A very long, complex, but not so difficult task (solving a big sudoku) may have an array like this [2,2,1,1,1,1]. A difficult but not "complex" task, to which you can control the outcome even if you fail (lifting a super heavy stone), will most likely be like this: [6]

Practical example: "you need to deactivate the alarm, by short circuiting two parts of the circuit at the same time. If you do, then you can carefully cut the power cable, turing it off completely". This translates in: [4, 4 ,1 ] = 9 or alarm rings. It means that you need to beat 4 4 and 1 in your roll, and if your total does not beat or equal 9, the alarm activates.
    Let's assume you score [6, 2, 2, 1] = 11. You failed the test, but still you have scored a higher total. So YOU get to chose how the contest goes on, and the alarm does not ring. You can at this point abandon the task, or continue. If you continue, you will roll 3 dice (you lost one, because the "enemy" 4 beat your 2) against one die (because your 6 beat a 4, and your 2 beat a 1). The new array to roll against will be [4] = 4 or alarm rings. The array contains only a 4 because you already wiped away the other 4 and the 1 that were initially there.

Spoiler: Advantage-disadvantage
    Show

You may roll a dice at advantage or disadvantage. Advantage simply means that every tie in dice matching counts as a success for you. Disadvantage means that it counts as a success for your opponent. When rolling without advantage or disadvantage, ties are discarded. Storyteller decides if some roll is at advantage, disadvantage or normal

Spoiler: Collaboration
    Show

You add up the dice pools of all collaborating parties. Simple as that. The group rolls together, but the dice pool damage is assigned to the single members of the groups. In other words, numbers dictate everything. The best roll of the "enemies" is matched against the best of the group, the second-best against the second-best, and so on. Someone may decide to step in and "protect" someone else, taking the damage on him/herself. In that case, the dice of the protector or the protecting group are resolved first. Whatever dice are left, they are resolved next, as normal, and matched to the rest of the group. The "protect" action must be stated BEFORE the rolls.

Spoiler: Cinematic
    Show

You are not forced to use this, obviously. You may however take inspiration on your roll and your opponent's one (successes, failures and their order) to build up a cinematic scene, if you want to. For example: You are in a hand to hand fight with the big bodyguard with the scar on his cheek. You roll [6, 2, 1, 2, 6] = 17 , he rolls [4, 4, 3, 2, 2, 1 ] = 16.

So you can go like:
    your 6 beats his 4: "The big bodyguard grabs you by the lapel but doesn't expect you to be a competent dirty-fighter. Without a thought you extend your arm, stick your fingers into his throat. He flinches away ..."

your 6 beats his 4: "... as soon as the distance is right, you hit his leg with a snappy, painful front kick. He falls on his knee with a grunt."

His 3 beats your 2: "The bodyguard is however no fool himself, and does the only sensible thing. Instead of trying to stand up, he simply charges forward, in a sudden clothesline. You are caught unprepared, slammed on the wall and oofing, as the huge mass of the man presses on your stomach."

His 2 ties with your 2: "His head is low after the charge, and you try to surround his neck with your arm and apply a guillotine choke. He forces himself out of it before you finalize..."

His 2 beats your 1: "...still keeping a hold on your right arm, he swings a hook with his left, that hits you somewhere in the head and makes you stagger. If you hadn't jammed his leg, that would have ended it... "

His last 1 has no match and goes wasted.

You scored a higher total (17 instead of 16), you choose to disengage: "With a scream, the man swings another wild right hook. You still have the lucidity to duck under it. You push his body sideways, bringing his weight on the jammed leg. His loss of balance gives you just a small way out. You can now create distance and run away, without looking back, silently praying that he cannot reach you."

Again, not mandatory to do any of this. You can build your own cinematic if and how you want. The dice sequence is just a tool that you can use or not.

Last edited by Chas Kramer; 2020-03-20 at 03:22 AM.
    Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight EVERYTHING with fire!

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Well guys I think we're going to get destroyed this time. The chariot rolls are very good with a lot of 6s.

Do you want to gang up or will we do it individually?
    If individually Francesca will tackle the biggest threat - the four dice guy.
    I see former criminal taking place here making Cassidy roll 2dice and maybe the cook mastering (handling oranges(?)) For 3 dice or, if not, 1 dice.

If we gang up we'll probably lose but we'll have 10 (or 8) rolls also as the attackers. If we go individually we'll probably have a worst time as Cassidy and Aleksander Will lose.

Either way is ok for me, but probably collectively will bring better results (if I understood the rules). @Chas please comment on this.

I'll post something and make her rolls.
    Last edited by Darkstorm; 2020-03-22 at 06:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

RedSorcererGirl

applying the cooking master cliche here seems a bit of a stretch to me, but I will not formally object here. Go ahead.
    Metagaming wise, it is just mainly to have you gain confidence with the system.

Normally speaking, you should know from the beginning if enemies gang up, and decide before the rolls if you gang up... but in this case I left you freedom to decide how to do after you see the rolls. I see now that this caused more confusion...

Now, to the question:
    - If you Gang Up, you could choose to do it against a SPECIFIC thrower, thus merging your dice rolls against him. If you do so, and don't have any dice left to spend against the others, you'll count as defeated against them
    - If you gang up against the group, they'll merge their dice rolls as well. So it's group vs group.

Honestly, however, the worst that can happen in this case is that you get hit by oranges. So I wouldn't worry so much, here.

8. - Top - End - #8

Hm, we are rolling in IC only, right? Because it is kind of hard to describe what my character is doing if I have no dice roll... xD Oh well, will think of something ;-)
    My long singature

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Untrained always gets one die!! So you can roll 1d.

Thanks for the feedback Chas. understood perfectly. Good for next time!

10. - Top - End - #10

Ueah, I know I can roll 1d, just wonder in which topic... xD
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2020-03-22 at 11:05 AM.
    My long singature

11. - Top - End - #11

RedSorcererGirl

You can roll in a spoiler tab, in the IC thread. I think it is less chaotic.
    And yes, you can roll 1 die always, for even if cliches don't apply. Then you add cliche dice to it. I am not sure if this is like the original Risus works, but I like the idea

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Okay, I didn't see this until after I'd made my post in IC - I didn't get notified, for some reason? - so I goofed up the rolls. I accidentally rolled 3d6 at first (thought it was one roll for each person we're up against), sorry about that - I'm dyscalculic and can sometimes have trouble with numbers in new systems. I think I've got it better now - I went ahead and read back over the rules. I'll roll a 2d6 here so I don't clutter up the IC thread.
    (2d6)[6][1](7)
    Currently playing:
    Kvasir Veles in The King's Bastard Princesses
    Kafziel Ciarán in Riding the Chimera
    Cassidy Kieran O'Kane in Tales of the Old Continent

13. - Top - End - #13

RedSorcererGirl

My apologies for the delay. I wasn't feeling well this week. Passing from bed to sofa. Narration resumes

14. - Top - End - #14

Hm, I am not sure if I understand the new mechanics xD Please, forgive me, but...

I believe we have scored two "wons" and the rest are "loses", right? I mean, just looking at these numbers it seems that way. And now we roll those 2 not-lost dices, so... which characters take the loses? xD I mean, it should be substracted from the dices of participants, but do we - as players - decide who takes this damage? You as GM? We decide by some random dice rolling?

Just realized now I am not aware of that :)

EDIT: Also, are we finishing the orange-fight or talking to Capitano right now? xD I'm lost, sorry xD
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2020-03-27 at 12:37 PM.
    My long singature

15. - Top - End - #15

RedSorcererGirl

No problem, storyteller to the rescue.

In this case you fought as a group, collectively. It means that you rolled as a single person. Until the group's dice pool is depleted, the group can still fight. Each member's dice pool is damaged independently however. You still are comparing the highest enemy die with the highest group die (whoever is the owner of it), second best versus second best, and so on.
    When in a group, even if a SINGLE dice pool is depleted, the player does not count as defeated, and the enemy does not decide his destiny.

I now realize there is a potential ambiguity, in case for example the enemy rolled a six, and two players in a group both rolled a five...who is the chosen one to take the damage? I need to correct this. Sorry, this system is experimental for me...sorry to cause confusion.
    Let's suspend the group fight thing and dice pool merging until I come up with something smart.

You said you scored two wins and he other are losses ?. I counted one tie, and the rest losses....mmmmh, I'll check the numbers again.

Story is about to proceed, Capitano will come to talk to you...I just gave time for everbody to roleplay, if they wanted

16. - Top - End - #16

You as in plural form :P Gimme a sec, I will look at the numbers again...

So, the charioteers group collectively rolls:
    [5][6][3][6][6][4][1][6][4][6]

You, guys collectively rolled
    [2][5][5][3][5][4][6][1]
    I allowed myself to bold and color our successes, the rest is either loses or ties.

Of course I could be wrong, there is a lot of numbers and I am lost when I look at them... xD

EDIT: Hi people!

Sorry for the late reply, I was thinking about the mechanics and finally decided to skip all mechanical parts from my post.

Again, sorry for holding you back.
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2020-03-29 at 12:22 PM.
    My long singature

17. - Top - End - #17

RedSorcererGirl

This one is just for clarification, cause I am afraid I didn't write it in a very clear manner:

The lady is also gone. She has warned Sandro (Capitano) just before leaving, some moments after the guy bailed out.
    Currently, in the cafeteria is just you, the three loud men, two waiters and at least two people in the kitchen/lab.

You can question people around, or discuss internally. Story will evolve soon.

18. - Top - End - #18

I think neither we nor our characters know what to do now xD It's a very peculiar situation :-P But I presume things will get more interesting from now on? ;-) Curious as how the situation will develop :-)
    My long singature