Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    By the way, here are the feats I'm thinking of, in no specific order: Mage slayer, crossbow expert, skulker, sniper, mobility.
    That all sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade
    All of that seems great! Now I'm thinking of stealing this for a game...
    There's a lot of good stuff in the Bronze Age in general to use as inspiration. I think the fact that our knowledge of it's history is so incomplete that it adds a certain element of mystery to it.

I picked up Message, True Strike and Minor Illusion as wizard cantrips. Tieflings also get Thaumaturgy as a racial power.
    Level 1 spells:
    Utility: Identify, Detect magic, Find familiar
    Control: Grease
    Control/Stealth: Sleep
    And also, Tasha's hideous laughter because I just love the story behind that spell.

I don't know what wizard specialization I'll pick.

Let's note that Arcane Recovery let's a Wizard recover one slot after a short rest. Knowing that I only have 2 level one slots anyways...

By the way, is it OK if I start game with a familiar already summoned? (Thanks to the Find familiar spell?)
    Yes, you can certainly start with your familiar.

On True Strike: I'd like to make a change to it to make it's niche a little more pronounced, since I think it's got pretty high opportunity costs (I'll add this under the Variant Rules in the OP):

True Strike
    Divination cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 30 feet
    Components: S
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round
    You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the target’s defenses. On your next turn, you cannot suffer disadvantage on your first attack roll against the target, and also gain advantage on that same roll, provided that this spell hasn’t ended.

This lets it counteract particularly adverse circumstances. The default True Strike's action economy just isn't worth it most of the time, and it overlaps with Find Familiar somewhat by having your familiar use the Help Action in combat. Those are my thoughts on it anyway.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-05-07 at 11:46 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Utility, control and stealth. I'll also pick up spells that can be cast as rituals, as they're going to be even more useful given the rest limitations.

I picked up Message, True Strike and Minor Illusion as wizard cantrips. Tieflings also get Thaumaturgy as a racial power.
    Level 1 spells:
    Utility: Identify, Detect magic, Find familiar
    Control: Grease
    Control/Stealth: Sleep
    And also, Tasha's hideous laughter because I just love the story behind that spell.

I don't know what wizard specialization I'll pick.
    Ok, you took Sleep too. I guess I'll take things like Burning Hands and Fog Cloud for the moment.

If you haven't looked at it yet, consider the Theurge Arcane Tradition to pick some cleric spells, or the Divination one to pick up portents.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-07 at 03:03 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    There's a lot of good stuff in the Bronze Age in general to use as inspiration. I think the fact that our knowledge of it's history is so incomplete that it adds a certain element of mystery to it.
    Periods of crisis are really good inspiration for RPG settings. Who needs adventurers when everything is fine?

For that last game I tried and failed to run, my main inspiration was the 7th century and the strong decline of both the Persian and Eastern Roman empires. Both empires had badly bled each other's military, orphaning city states in the region between them, city states of whom none had their own army (since the empires had military monopoly until then). Travel became dangerous, trade collapsed and suddenly, for a lot of people, the world became a more dangerous and much smaller place.

(Eventually, Arab tribes, many of whom had worked as mercenaries for empires in the period before, managed to leverage the military weakness to seize the whole region and even the remnants of one of the empires.)

Yes, you can certainly start with your familiar.
    Yay! Now, I'm hesitating between a cat or a spider...

This lets it counteract particularly adverse circumstances. The default True Strike's action economy just isn't worth it most of the time, and it overlaps with Find Familiar somewhat by having your familiar use the Help Action in combat. Those are my thoughts on it anyway.
    Yeah, well, otherwise it might be too strong for a cantrip. The use of True strike that I see is mostly before combat, when waiting in ambush or going for an assassination. The fact that it only has a somatic component helps a lot with that kind of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    Ok, you took Sleep too. I guess I'll take things like Burning Hands and Fog Cloud for the moment.
    As much as two of us having Identification is mostly useless, two of us having Sleep can still help: It doubles the number of people we can put to sleep, and also helps if some targets pass their save on the first casting. However, if I understand well, you are starved for spells known, so picking another control spell may be a better idea.

If you haven't looked at it yet, consider the Theurge Arcane Tradition to pick some cleric spells, or the Divination one to pick up portents.
    Theurge's flavor is not what I'm aiming for with this character. Moreover, my character is slot-starved, so I'd prefer to go with a tradition that gives me some kind of extra power, not extra spells to cast.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

4. - Top - End - #34

Periods of crisis are really good inspiration for RPG settings. Who needs adventurers when everything is fine?

For that last game I tried and failed to run, my main inspiration was the 7th century and the strong decline of both the Persian and Eastern Roman empires. Both empires had badly bled each other's military, orphaning city states in the region between them, city states of whom none had their own army (since the empires had military monopoly until then). Travel became dangerous, trade collapsed and suddenly, for a lot of people, the world became a more dangerous and much smaller place.
    That's another great inspiration for sure. It makes for a great points-of-light setting.

Theurge's flavor is not what I'm aiming for with this character. Moreover, my character is slot-starved, so I'd prefer to go with a tradition that gives me some kind of extra power, not extra spells to cast.
    I was about to veto Theurge anyway, I think . I don't think giving the Wizard full access to the Cleric spell list straight-up is particularly balanced, but maybe I'm biased. I'll lift the Elf-only restriction on Bladesinger if that interests you at all. Of course, you still have a level to decide .

On another note, I'm going to try to finalize a few more setting details and add them to the OP tomorrow. Just some very brief points, and a little more general info on Port Blacksand and Silverton. I don't want to shovel stuff at you before you even start playing, and anything important should come up while we play.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I was about to veto Theurge anyway, I think . I don't think giving the Wizard full access to the Cleric spell list straight-up is particularly balanced, but maybe I'm biased. I'll lift the Elf-only restriction on Bladesinger if that interests you at all. Of course, you still have a level to decide .
    It would just be the ones from one domain, I think, at first at least. But if thetas not where you see your character going, then its a moot point anyway.
    On another note, I'm going to try to finalize a few more setting details and add them to the OP tomorrow. Just some very brief points, and a little more general info on Port Blacksand and Silverton. I don't want to shovel stuff at you before you even start playing, and anything important should come up while we play.
    Nice. I've done my homework too. After going back and forth on a few things, I think I finalised the details of my character.
    I can confirm his double identity as a watchman and criminal, using whatever identity works best to root out the corruption in the city and finding the culprits of his family downfall.
    Mechanically, I confirmed the Wild Magic archetype on the sorcerer side (we'll see how that goes). On the Warlock side, I chose the Raven Queen (or its equivalent) as Patron: he is a watchman after all, and I guess the RQ herself might have interest enough in what is going on in the city to bless an envoy to be her eyes. As for spells, I confirmed Hex, Shield, Sleep and Sanctuary, making it a mostly nonlethal lineup I guess.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-08 at 12:09 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #36

It would just be the ones from one domain, I think, at first at least. But if thetas not where you see your character going, then its a moot point anyway.
    Ah, I may have misread it.

Nice. I've done my homework too. After going back and forth on a few things, I think I finalised the details of my character.
    I can confirm his double identity as a watchman and criminal, using whatever identity works best to root out the corruption in the city and finding the culprits of his family downfall.
    Mechanically, I confirmed the Wild Magic archetype on the sorcerer side (we'll see how that goes). On the Warlock side, I chose the Raven Queen (or its equivalent) as Patron: he is a watchman after all, and I guess the RQ herself might have interest enough in what is going on in the city to bless an envoy to be her eyes. As for spells, I confirmed Hex, Shield, Sleep and Sanctuary, making it a mostly nonlethal lineup I guess.
    That all looks great to me! The Raven Queen is in the setting, I'm just not sure exactly what form she will take yet. Or rather, I'm not sure what I'll do with the Shadwofell.

I didn't get to it yet, but I should have some feedback on backstories tomorrow. Don't worry, I like them all! I'd just like to nail down a few details.

Here is the info on Port Blacksand and Silverton I'm adding to the OP:
    Spoiler: Setting
    Show

Port Blacksand:
    Port Blacksand sits at the point where the Catfish River flows West into the Glimmering Sea. It is built upon the remains of an ancient city, resettled by pirates and brigand-lords some three hundred years ago. Surrounding it are gentle, prosperous plains and mixed woodland.
    Spoiler: DISTRICTS
    Show

North of the Catfish River
    • Execution Hill (NE). This district is named after the bleak windswept square at the top of Gallows Hill. On the south side of the hill the buildings are tightly packed together and roads turn into step flights of steps.
    • Harbour District (NW). This is the oldest district in Port Blacksand with winding, narrow streets and ancient, weather-beaten houses. The narrowness of the streets and overhanging nature of the upper stories of buildings make the streets dark even in the day. Lobster Wharf and Harbour Street are the main thoroughfares.
    • Garden District (N). This district is named after the public gardens which dominate this area of the city. It is a wealthy district with many private houses, some of which are the offices of professional people, including court officials, musicians and artists.

South of the Catfish River
    • Fish Market District (W). In this district the smell of raw fish permeates the air, worsened in foggy weather. The buildings near the wharf are warehouses with many exotic goods stockpiled in them.
    • Merchant District (SE). This is the heart of Port Blacksand's business district. It runs between the southern side of Market Square and the city walls. Here, you can buy anything. Approaching the palace, the small gloomy shops are replaced by large houses in which dwell the city's richest and most devious merchants.
    • The Noose (S). This is the most notorious district in the city named after its most notorious street. It is most famous as the home of many gangs and criminal organizations. An atmosphere of crime and decay pervades the area. The area has many beggars. The Noose is also the site of the Market Square and during the day this is bustling with traders and customers.
    • Temple District (SW). Here are many of Port Blacksand's temples situated on or near the Street of Temples, a wide, pleasant street. Most of the city's armourers and weapon makers are to be found in this same district, found in the block of buildings formed by the Street of Knives, Cutlass Alley and Dagger Lane. The rest of the area is made up of twisting back streets and alleys.
    • Lady Salancia’s Palace (E). The high minarets of the palace dominate the city skyline, and can be seen many miles inland.

Spoiler: People and Churches
    Show

People:
    • Lady Salancia - Reclusive ruler of Blacksand and head of House Salancia. De facto head of the local Church of At’ar.
    • Lord Roderick of House Rogoan - Very successful, now retired sea captain of dubious repute.
    • Lady Daria of House Valentis - The young head of the most successful merchant family in Blacksand.
    • Lord Marak of House Greysteel - Commander of the City Watch, and head of the oldest noble house in Blacksand.

Temples/Churches:
    • At’ar, The Yellow Goddess (Sun and Shadows, LN) - the ‘official’ deity of Blacksand.
    • Waukeen, Goddess of Trade (Knowledge, Trickery, N)
    • Umberlee/Talos: Pair of Sea and Storms (Tempest, CE)

Silverton:
    Situated some 70 miles SW of Port Blacksand, the prosperous town sits at the crossroads of the major trade routes in the region. It produces high quality pottery and stonework, and is surrounded by rich farmland.
    Spoiler: People and Churches
    Show

People:
    • Owen Carralif - Mayor of Silverton (Mirelle, daughter)
    • Ambrus Redbeard, preeminent Dwarven Stonemason
    • Angelica Ruthgar, preeminent Potter
    • Gale Proudfeet, preeminent Halfling Tanner

Church of Chauntea, goddess of agriculture (Life, NG)
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-05-08 at 10:33 PM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37

Here are a few notes on backstories. All the specifics are just suggestions that you are free to use or dismiss as you like. If you'd like to add specifics that I haven't commented on, please go for it (but don't feel you need to). I've got a lot of room to work around anything you come up with.

Spoiler: Borgrim Wildstrike
    Show

Weapons/attacks you have listed should all be +6 to hit and +4 damage.

Borgrim was born to the far to the south of Silverton, on the far side of the Redspine Mountains (which mark the border between the human-dominated lands around the Glimmering Sea, and the Orc-lands to the south). He ran off, becoming a farmhand on a ranch, in the foothills of the northern side of the Redspine Mts.
    The Great Beast - some sort of wyvern, perhaps, or leave it unknown?

Contacts: Ogden, horse trader just outside of Port Blacksand. A portly, ingratiating fellow of advancing middle age with a fondness for strong wine and embroidered cloaks. He has an ear to the ground for various low-level shady goings-on in Blacksand.
    Is Ogden from around Silverton or around Port Blacksand?

Spoiler: Benedict/Cesar
    Show

Friends, etc.:
    • Sergeant DeAnna Longtooth (Cesar) of the Night Watch, an uncharacteristically even-tempered and level-headed Half-Orc. One of the few non-corrupt watch officers.
    • Private Wallace (Cesar), a naive young watchman, in Sergeant Longtooth’s squad.
      The Guild of Free Traders (Benedict), a semi-anonymous group of traders and craftspeople looking to reform Blacksand.

Antagonists:
    • Lord Marak Greysteel (Benedict), Commander of the City Watch, traditionalist and anti-reformer.
    • Various Nobles (Cesar), as yet unknown, responsible for the destruction of Cesar’s family.

Is Cesar’s stolen family home in Port Blacksand, or one of the many small keeps in the surrounding countryside?
    Is Cesar part of the Day Watch or the Night Watch?

Spoiler: The Bloody Rose
    Show

Wizards can prepare their level + Int worth of spells, giving you 4 prepared at level 1. Shortsword should be 1d6. Tieflings also know Infernal.

Born in Riverton, situated on the Catfish River, a few miles east of Port Blackwater?
    The church was likely one of Amaunator, a companion Sun deity to At’ar, but one more focused on purging Evil. Perhaps that was some of why the priest became focused on Rosadon when she began to show her fiendish heritage (more likely that was just his excuse).

Friends/Enemies:
    • Mother, has a small hat shop on Weaver St.
    • Uncle, a carpenter on Harbour St.
    • The Knives (mostly deceased), professionals who were more than a match for Cat. Cat procured her grimoire from a dead mage amount their number.
    • The Red Tigers. An association of enforcers and hired muscle that Cat has run into from time to time.

EDIT: I should be able to get the IC thread up and running sometime this weekend.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-05-09 at 10:56 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I did a little map of the city, following your description. I hope that's close enough to what you had in mind. If not, I can make adjustments.
    Spoiler: City Map
    Show
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-09 at 03:47 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Borgrim Wildstrike
    Show

Weapons/attacks you have listed should all be +6 to hit and +4 damage.

Borgrim was born to the far to the south of Silverton, on the far side of the Redspine Mountains (which mark the border between the human-dominated lands around the Glimmering Sea, and the Orc-lands to the south). He ran off, becoming a farmhand on a ranch, in the foothills of the northern side of the Redspine Mts.
    The Great Beast - some sort of wyvern, perhaps, or leave it unknown?

Contacts: Ogden, horse trader just outside of Port Blacksand. A portly, ingratiating fellow of advancing middle age with a fondness for strong wine and embroidered cloaks. He has an ear to the ground for various low-level shady goings-on in Blacksand.
    Is Ogden from around Silverton or around Port Blacksand?

Spoiler: Borgrim
    Show

Oh - ok =)

Borgrim has no idea what the beast was. Not seen one before or since, and when he's bragged about the deed, no one has spoken with any confidence as to what it might have been. Big, ugly mofo at any rate.

Ogden does his business around Silverton - propably on accord of the fuzz being just slightly cleverer in Blacksand. Also, the bribes are more expensive.

10. - Top - End - #40

I did a little map of the city, following your description. I hope that's close enough to what you had in mind. If not, I can make adjustments.
    Here is the map I was going to use for my own reference. I was debating posting it. It's less detailed and more open than the actual city would be, but it has the major streets labeled which is nice. Your's is actually pretty similar, especially considering you made it off of the very vague description I gave. I quite like yours; it gives a better sense of how dense the city is. If you want to make a more detailed version of it, be my guest (I've just renamed the palace).
    Spoiler: Port Blacksand
    Show

Link HERE.

Perhaps I should just post it to the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Spoiler: Borgrim
    Show

Oh - ok =)

Borgrim has no idea what the beast was. Not seen one before or since, and when he's bragged about the deed, no one has spoken with any confidence as to what it might have been. Big, ugly mofo at any rate.

Ogden does his business around Silverton - propably on accord of the fuzz being just slightly cleverer in Blacksand. Also, the bribes are more expensive.
    Alright, perfect. I will add that to my notes.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-05-09 at 07:24 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, nice. I will update my version a little at a time to bring it mostly in line with the original. Filling in names, put in some extra decor, that kind of things.

As for the backstory:
    Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    I feel that Cesar should rightly be a night watchman, but then it overlaps with any covert action Ben might have planned. It also prevents him from getting to the 'crime scene' the morning after. On the other hand, beings night watchman might be a great excuse for being up and about at night.
    After some thought, I think night watchman makes more sense.

Regarding his home, I would think the family definitely had an estate where it's holdings were and where they lived most of the time. However, I also like the idea of a physical reminder within the city walls. Perhaps a nice Villa for when they visited/had business to discuss?

Also, just to be clear: both identities are forged. He symbolically burned his belongings and papers when he embarked on his new quest. If pressed, I would say Ben is the truer of the two identities.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-10 at 08:04 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #42

Oh, nice. I will update my version a little at a time to bring it mostly in line with the original. Filling in names, put in some extra decor, that kind of things.

As for the backstory:
    Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    I feel that Cesar should rightly be a night watchman, but then it overlaps with any covert action Ben might have planned. It also prevents him from getting to the 'crime scene' the morning after. On the other hand, beings night watchman might be a great excuse for being up and about at night.
    After some thought, I think night watchman makes more sense.
    I would think there would be at least some overlap between the day/night watch, which would give a little bit of flexibility. Night's watch it is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding his home, I would think the family definitely had an estate where it's holdings were and where they lived most of the time. However, I also like the idea of a physical reminder within the city walls. Perhaps a nice Villa for when they visited/had business to discuss?
    This sounds great. A reserved, tasteful property in the Garden District would fit, I think.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, just to be clear: both identities are forged. He symbolically burned his belongings and papers when he embarked on his new quest. If pressed, I would say Ben is the truer of the two identities.
    Gotcha. Noted.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Here are a few notes on backstories. All the specifics are just suggestions that you are free to use or dismiss as you like. If you'd like to add specifics that I haven't commented on, please go for it (but don't feel you need to). I've got a lot of room to work around anything you come up with.
    Yes! That's the kind of input I was hoping for! It even beats my expectations.

Regarding those background inputs, I'm fine with everything. That clergy looks like a very appropriate enemy to have, thematically, for Rosa. I don't know if you did that on purpose, but it goes wonderfully well with my description of the sun dazzling her :)

Riverton seems like the nice kind of very boring place I wanted Rosa to be from. Since it's on the river, her mother probably stole a small boat or raft to make her escape: explains how they could get to Blacksand without being intercepted by an angry pitchfork wielding mob.

Whether the priest's reason to summon Rosa was infatuation, lechery or a genuine attempt at exorcism (or some degree of each), Rosa doesn't really know. Unless that priest comes back from the dead, this will remain unknown even to me.

How well does Rosa know the Red Tigers? And what has been their relation? Enemies? Allies? Competitors? A mixture of those, depending on past circumstances?

Also, it was somewhat implicit in my background, but I believe Rosa managed to decipher a spell-book and self-teach herself into wizardry thanks to her fiendish heritage.

I'll edit my background piece to include your input, whenever I find time. I also still have to come up with names for Rosa's family members.

Wizards can prepare their level + Int worth of spells, giving you 4 prepared at level 1.
    Ah yes! I didn't realize that. All in all, compared with 3.X, even while that concentration limitation makes wizards loose in raw power, that piece of rule makes them far more versatile. In the end, I think giving up raw power for versatility always makes for a better gaming experience.

Shortsword should be 1d6.
    It seems d20srd's 5e ressources contain many mistakes. I should have realized that was a mistake too, since shortswords have always been 1d6.

5etools.com seems a lot more accurate.

Tieflings also know Infernal.
    Missed that!

Spoiler: City Map
    Show
    What software did you use to produce this? I want it too! Gimme gimme gimme

Here is the map I was going to use for my own reference. I was debating posting it. It's less detailed and more open than the actual city would be, but it has the major streets labeled which is nice. Your's is actually pretty similar, especially considering you made it off of the very vague description I gave. I quite like yours; it gives a better sense of how dense the city is. If you want to make a more detailed version of it, be my guest (I've just renamed the palace).
    Spoiler: Port Blacksand
    Show

Link HERE.

Perhaps I should just post it to the OP?
    Yup, a map is definitely what should be included in the OP.

I'm ambivalent regarding maps in RPG and fiction in general. They mess up with my sense of space. It's hard to picture a city as mysterious and crowded when you can count streets and blocks from a bird's eye view. Yet, on the other hand, they do give a sense of space: what neighbourhood is next to what street, etc. which will probably come handy for that ineluctable moment we will be running for our lives and looking for a place to hide.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-05-10 at 11:02 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

14. - Top - End - #44

Regarding those background inputs, I'm fine with everything. That clergy looks like a very appropriate enemy to have, thematically, for Rosa. I don't know if you did that on purpose, but it goes wonderfully well with my description of the sun dazzling her :)

Riverton seems like the nice kind of very boring place I wanted Rosa to be from. Since it's on the river, her mother probably stole a small boat or raft to make her escape: explains how they could get to Blacksand without being intercepted by an angry pitchfork wielding mob.
    I wasn't thinking of the dazzling moment when I decided on Riverton's church. Quite a nice coincidence, though! I think there's some rivalry between the followers of Amaunator and At'ar, with At'ar having a less harsh view of Good and Evil (light creates shadow). Which might explain a little why Rosa has stayed in Port Blacksand.
    And fleeing downriver in a boat in the middle of the night is perfect.

Whether the priest's reason to summon Rosa was infatuation, lechery or a genuine attempt at exorcism (or some degree of each), Rosa doesn't really know. Unless that priest comes back from the dead, this will remain unknown even to me.
    Gotcha.

How well does Rosa know the Red Tigers? And what has been their relation? Enemies? Allies? Competitors? A mixture of those, depending on past circumstances?
    I was thinking not direct enemies, but that some of Rosa's targets have had bodyguards or the like that were Red Tigers, which brought them into conflict. The Red Tigers have a strict honour code; outside of their assignments they wouldn't go after Rosa, and wouldn't hold a grudge unless she went after them personally. They might even extend a certain professional courtesy and respect if they met in a tavern.

Also, it was somewhat implicit in my background, but I believe Rosa managed to decipher a spell-book and self-teach herself into wizardry thanks to her fiendish heritage.
    I hadn't really thought of it in terms of her heritage, but now that you mention it that makes a lot of sense.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes! I didn't realize that. All in all, compared with 3.X, even while that concentration limitation makes wizards loose in raw power, that piece of rule makes them far more versatile. In the end, I think giving up raw power for versatility always makes for a better gaming experience.
    I haven't played casters much in 3.X, but that was the general impression I had of the differences.

5etools.com seems a lot more accurate.
    Very handy too!

Yup, a map is definitely what should be included in the OP.

I'm ambivalent regarding maps in RPG and fiction in general. They mess up with my sense of space. It's hard to picture a city as mysterious and crowded when you can count streets and blocks from a bird's eye view. Yet, on the other hand, they do give a sense of space: what neighbourhood is next to what street, etc. which will probably come handy for that ineluctable moment we will be running for our lives and looking for a place to hide.
    This was more or less why I was hesitating to post it, but I'll pop it in the OP. The Port Blacksand I envision is much more dense with narrower streets.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

But that's not really true, is it? Because wizards can cast cantrips all day long, and cantrips are nothing to sneeze at. Sure, real spells are stronger, but wizards never run out of spells and have to resort to staff combat - which I find is nice.

16. - Top - End - #46

I should have asked this sooner: Do you want to role-play your meeting in Silverton, or would you rather start upon returning to Port Blacksand (having been enlisted by the merchants of Silverton)?

Also, if you'd like to choose character speech colours, feel free.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Teal! The color of the morally flexible. Also .... sure? Yea. I want to meet the others in Silverton. Foul sorcerers that they are :p

Spoiler: Sorcery!
    Show

Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-05-12 at 12:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

I should have asked this sooner: Do you want to role-play your meeting in Silverton, or would you rather start upon returning to Port Blacksand (having been enlisted by the merchants of Silverton)?

Also, if you'd like to choose character speech colours, feel free.
    It's always somewhat strange to start RPing a new character who's supposed to already know the rest of the party, but you don't already know those other characters, whereas your PC is supposed to know them...

I guess we could fast-forward the introduction but then I'd prefer to discuss a bit (just a bit really) with the other players how their characters act in general to know how mine would react to them.

I'm picking saddle brown as a color.

19. - Top - End - #49

Also .... sure? Yea. I want to meet the others in Silverton. Foul sorcerers that they are :p
    It's always somewhat strange to start RPing a new character who's supposed to already know the rest of the party, but you don't already know those other characters, whereas your PC is supposed to know them...

I guess we could fast-forward the introduction but then I'd prefer to discuss a bit (just a bit really) with the other players how their characters act in general to know how mine would react to them.
    I was thinking of the following events leading up to the adventure, and we could jump in wherever: Silverton sends a messenger to Port Blacksand asking Lady Salancia for aid. The lady refuses, so the messenger enlists the help of Rosa and Benedict/Cesar. The messenger takes them to Silverton to be briefed by the mayor and the merchants, where they also meet Borgrim. Then the three adventurers head to Port Blacksand.

We can jump in wherever you like. The tavern (I know, I know) where the three of you meet Silverton's leaders and first meet each other seems the most convenient spot. If you've got other reasons why you may be in Silverton, by conincedence, then that would work to.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-05-12 at 02:45 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

I'm betting there are inns. Borgrim will be where there are inns. There's every chance he'll be drunk and disorderly, surrounded by women of doubtful repute, bragging about past deeds or in the midst of new ones.

Whether the inns are in Silverton or Blacksand is largely secondary.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-05-12 at 02:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Rosa would take the opportunity as an excuse to get away from Blacksand and lay low for at least a short time.

She would also be curious about what kind of help Silverton is looking for.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

If I may, I will keep my black from the other thread.

As for my character, either identity could have been contacted for work, but probably Ben is the one with the most leeway in what kind of jobs he can take. I guess he's be also looking for information about the merchants in Port Blacksand.

Oh, and the greatest part of the map I made was done with this. Though I like to rearrange the pieces in another program if I have something specific in mind.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

23. - Top - End - #53

Alright folks, the IC thread is up!

I took a few small liberties in the intro which I hope are ok.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Just thought I'd note a few things that Walking mentioned in the IC thread.

Then, there's her skin. It's chocolate brown, which might not be unseen in these parts, but may well be unusual.
    Humans in the coastal cities on the Glimmering Sea come in all shapes and sizes and appearances; Port Blacksand is no different. It's very much a mélange of different peoples and cultures. Darker skin tones are less common in and around Silverton, but they are not completely out of place.

Yet, what's not only unusual but not often seen is her face: two small horns on her forehead push back loose black hair. Her face would suit a mundane farm-girl, if it weren't for two cat-like eyes.
    Horns and cat's eyes, on the other hand, are definitely very unusual. Even among those of Orc-ish or Ogre-ish heritage such features would be very odd.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I wanted to add .... I would have described Borgrim's appearance, but I think you guys already sort of have an idea. Big, bulging with muscle, long black hair, dressed in literally nothing but a loincloth, and with a sword so large it looks like a joke. He has very little else, and what he has he carries in a no-nonsense sack.

He relies on his wit, and his sword, to solve all challenges he encounters in life. And ... let's be frank, his wit is so-so at best =)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Humans in the coastal cities on the Glimmering Sea come in all shapes and sizes and appearances; Port Blacksand is no different. It's very much a mélange of different peoples and cultures. Darker skin tones are less common in and around Silverton, but they are not completely out of place.
    That's more or less what I imagined.

Horns and cat's eyes, on the other hand, are definitely very unusual. Even among those of Orc-ish or Ogre-ish heritage such features would be very odd.
    Hence the cowl to hide them. Note that they're still small horns. Cute small horns :D

Oh, I wanted to add .... I would have described Borgrim's appearance, but I think you guys already sort of have an idea. Big, bulging with muscle, long black hair, dressed in literally nothing but a loincloth, and with a sword so large it looks like a joke. He has very little else, and what he has he carries in a no-nonsense sack.

He relies on his wit, and his sword, to solve all challenges he encounters in life. And ... let's be frank, his wit is so-so at best =)
    Now that you mention it, without that description, I imagined Borgrim scalp to be bald, or at least close shaven.

Also, now Borgrim thinks Rosa is crazy, and actually most rightly so. Rosa still reserves her evaluation of the "local hero of sorts". At the moment, I'd think she's 50/50 on 'country bumpkin whose likely to behead himself with his sword' vs 'crazy murderous redneck'... Let's see how this evolves :)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Also, now Borgrim thinks Rosa is crazy, and actually most rightly so. Rosa still reserves her evaluation of the "local hero of sorts". At the moment, I'd think she's 50/50 on 'country bumpkin whose likely to behead himself with his sword' vs 'crazy murderous redneck'... Let's see how this evolves :)
    Oh, Borgrim's expectation of the sanity of foul sorcerers is flat-out screaming insanity. Rosa is a step up from his preconception.

Oh, and the horns? It's propably good not to go full Hellboy there =D

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

GM?

How much time of daylight is left once the deal is closed?

I want Rosa make a quick tour of town, looking for clues that may have been overlooked, or anything else suspicious linked to those attacks. Rosa has a high score in Investigation, so even though she doesn't think there's much chance of anything interesting to find, she'd still want to have a look around town. She's also going to look for someone who can describe the dogs. She'll also ask Borgrim about them, but does any one really think he did take notes regarding those dogs?

I ask about daylight because Rosa won't investigate if she believes she's going to be watched, as the mayor suggests they will be after nightfall.

I'll post IC as soon as I consult your answer.

Oh, and the horns? It's propably good not to go full Hellboy there =D
    I believe I remember the character design, even though I have neither read the comics nor seen the movie. Doesn't that Hellboy fellow sport sown-off thorns?

29. - Top - End - #59

I'd say the sun is just now sinking below the horizon. So not complete dark yet, but the light is fading fast, and the moon has not yet risen.

EDIT: There would be enough time to take a quick look one of the attack locations before nightfall proper, or find one of the town guards for a first-hand account.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-05-15 at 01:31 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

I believe I remember the character design, even though I have neither read the comics nor seen the movie. Doesn't that Hellboy fellow sport sown-off thorns?
    Hellboy is destined to be the Lord of the Apocalypse, and in his full splendor - his horns aren't saved off.

Spoiler: Hellboy ascendant
    Show