Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

What do we intend to do, once we find her? Attack without warning? =)

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    What do we intend to do, once we find her? Attack without warning? =)
    That would probably be the best plan the three of us can successfully execute, if any.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    What if she is successful in her business?
    I was thinking of having her declare that she's sorry, but she's already got a date for tonight and he's on his way. And if they insist, have Borgrim come and explain to them how gentlemen do and do not treat a lady.

If guards come to annoy her to get her business somewhere else (or ask for a bribe), I was thinking our dearest Baron could convince them otherwise.

I pity prospective customers :D
    What are you trying to insinuate!

I would say we can use the crystal ball first. Anything else remaining on our shopping list?
    I had entirely forgotten about that thing. Yeah, let's get it back to Nicodemus and see what that gives us.

That would probably be the best plan the three of us can successfully execute, if any.
    I actually have a stronger theorem on this: Any plan the three of us will try to execute, given enough time, will necessarily devolve into "attack them without warning".

More seriously, we don't know who the Night Hag is alligned with. We know the cultists were trying to either locate, communicate with or, maybe even, control her. She's somehow linked to them, maybe without a choice in the matter. We don't know if the cultists are linked to Zanbar Bone in anyway.

Managing to talk to the Night Hag (before "attacking them without warning", which we've actually managed until know) could help us with a better understanding of whatever is going on.

Hitherto my push for a stake-out of the Hag's lair: We'd be able to see who's coming and going. We might notice if there's cultist activity there.

Somewhat convoluted but funny idea number #678: Have our dearest Baron de la Suerte knock at the Hag's door on the fallacious excuse there's been a burglary/murder/arson/petnapping last night two blocks away and if it's possible to come in and ask servants if they've seen or heard anything...
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok. Our devious plan is so devious because we do not know what we are going to do either. That way no one can outmaneuver us but ourselves.

Now, I agree we can talk, if given the right circumstances. I am especially not against idea #678.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #305

Borgrim is fine with talking to people. However, recent experience points towards conversations with people of the haggy persuasion being .. tricky. We have a 100% failure rate in terms of avoiding devolution into bloodshed.

Hag-ish? It just sounds like a scottish delicacy, doesn't it? And that's not the intention.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Players: Where too afterwards?

I believe we should go scout the Night Hag's place.

What kind of neighbourhood is that?

If Rosa were to dress up as a *ahem* "lady waiting for her date on a street corner", with some disguising of her more recognizable features, she could use her magical mirror to "check her makeup" every time someone passes by in order to recognize the Hag.
    Winding Street is mostly a well-to-do area; not quite as high class as Garden Street, but definitely 'nice'. Posing as a "lady of the night" (I think that is what was implied, yes?) might draw some unwanted attention from the watch, but no one would accost a courtesan or lady out for a leisurely stroll, as long as they looked the part.

What if she is successful in her business? I pity prospective customers :D

I would say we can use the crystal ball first. Anything else remaining on our shopping list?
    The only thing left is a black pearl. The silvered weapons you've ordered won't be ready until at least later the next day (It being afternoon IC at this point). Furtha probably won't have much info for you until the next day or two as well, same with César's watch friend, DeAnna Longtooth.

It sounds like the plan is to pop off back to Nicodemus with the crystal ball. I'll have a post up in a little bit.

In the mean time, you all reach LEVEL THREE!. For any of you choosing a subclass (Borgrim if he continues in Barbarian, Rosa if she takes a second level of Wizard), let me know if there's nothing that seems to fit, and we can work something out.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-11-25 at 01:51 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Horray, level 3. We're unstoppable* now!

Uhm, I do not remember what I had originally thought the plan would be with this character. I do not usually multi-class. I suppose it makes sense to go Warlock. Spell: Invocations: Agonising blast and... ???

As for "The Plan", I think we should get the pearl and swing by Nicodemus, then lounge or do other stuff while people work for us.

*for a very specific definition of unstoppable. Conditions apply.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-11-26 at 12:48 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Winding Street is mostly a well-to-do area; not quite as high class as Garden Street, but definitely 'nice'. Posing as a "lady of the night" (I think that is what was implied, yes?) might draw some unwanted attention from the watch, but no one would accost a courtesan or lady out for a leisurely stroll, as long as they looked the part.
    The idea of posing as a "lady of the night" would be that, in some neighborhoods at least, Rosa staying stationary in the street and brandishing a mirror from time to time wouldn't seem too out of place. Yet, in a nice neighborhood, I understand it wouldn't work as well.

We may be better off with the "send in the guardsman for random questions" plan. In such a neighborhood, refusal to cooperate with law & order would look suspect.

Last possibility is that there's an inn or tavern or any shop where it's possible to linger with a good window view on the street.

The only thing left is a black pearl. The silvered weapons you've ordered won't be ready until at least later the next day (It being afternoon IC at this point). Furtha probably won't have much info for you until the next day or two as well, same with César's watch friend, DeAnna Longtooth.
    I'm also OK to jump forward, with Borgrim going on his date with Furtha, Rosa staking out the Hag's home from a safe distance, and El Baron doing whatever it is barons do.

This is more or less compatible with "lounging out" thing Nick is proposing, right? Except only the nobility gets to do the lounging : D

It sounds like the plan is to pop off back to Nicodemus with the crystal ball. I'll have a post up in a little bit.
    I'm good with that.

In the mean time, you all reach LEVEL THREE!. For any of you choosing a subclass (Borgrim if he continues in Barbarian, Rosa if she takes a second level of Wizard), let me know if there's nothing that seems to fit, and we can work something out.
    I'll go Rogue 2, for Cunning Action. Later, I'll probably keep alternating Wizard and Rogue. I see Rose more as a thief dabbling in magic than a mage with roguish skills. Even more so if our dearest Baron keeps our magical bases covered.

I may well go Arcane Trickster later for more slot yummy tastiness, but I haven't given much thought to a Wizard subclass.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

9. - Top - End - #309

.. with Borgrim going on his date with Furtha ..
    Precisely. Nothing could possibly go wrong with that =D

Also, I have no idea what to do with Borgrims levels. I guess - he'll just go barbarian all the way?! Is there anything that obviously synergizes with barbarian?

Hmm, these paths are a little ........ wonky. So the basic one - Berserker - makes it kinda irrelevant that you can Frenzy more than once in a day, because doing so is tactical suicide. Then you have a bunch of others that are mostly garbage (not for the numbers, just because they're ill conceived), and then you have Zealot, which is kinda cool. Only, Zealot isn't as cool as having an extra attack every round (Berserker), but then we're back to Frenzy being tactical suicide.

Dammit. I read up on it, and now I'm none the wiser. Bah!
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-11-26 at 05:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

*cough* *cough* Wild Soul *cough*

Is it strong? Well, maybe, maybe not. Is it fun? Oh yes. Is it ironic for Borgrim? Yeaaaaaah!

But, I also like Zealot, too. Keep in mind that a Zealot's Divine Fury hurts your buddies too. (Whereas a Storm Herald's Storm of Fury has twice the range and hits only enemies. I guess Nature is more forgiving than Gods.)

One level of Fighter gives the ability to make people hurt for sure when attacking with a two handed weapon (or any of the other combat styles) and some free healing, once per day. Two levels of fighter gives the ability to get one free extra attack per day. Three levels, with Champion subclass gives you crits on 19 and 20. That last bit is interesting when used in conjunction with Reckless Attack: 19% chance of critical per attack.

11. - Top - End - #311

Horray, level 3. We're unstoppable* now!

Uhm, I do not remember what I had originally thought the plan would be with this character. I do not usually multi-class. I suppose it makes sense to go Warlock. Spell: Invocations: Agonising blast and... ???
    *for a very specific definition of unstoppable. Conditions apply.
    Taking Warlock to 2 or 3 and then sorcerer after that is probably pretty solid (for the invocations at 2, and then Pact Boon at 3). For invocations other than Agonising Blast, you could double-down on Eldritch Blast and take one of the ones that add range, push, or slow to it. Otherwise the invocations that grant castings of 1st level spells at will can be useful (Dispel magic, silent image, false life, disguise self). If you decide you want to change one you've chosen, I'll let you swap them out on level up.

The idea of posing as a "lady of the night" would be that, in some neighborhoods at least, Rosa staying stationary in the street and brandishing a mirror from time to time wouldn't seem too out of place. Yet, in a nice neighborhood, I understand it wouldn't work as well.

We may be better off with the "send in the guardsman for random questions" plan. In such a neighborhood, refusal to cooperate with law & order would look suspect.

Last possibility is that there's an inn or tavern or any shop where it's possible to linger with a good window view on the street.
    There is the Silver Coin tavern, and the Sun and Seven Stars Inn on Winding Street which might allow you to loiter and keep an eye on the hag house, and there are several shops on the street as well. Winding Street marks the deciding line of sorts between the well-to-do area of the Garden District and the rougher Execution Hill District, which is why a 'lady of the night' may draw a little more attention from the Watch.

Precisely. Nothing could possibly go wrong with that =D

Also, I have no idea what to do with Borgrims levels. I guess - he'll just go barbarian all the way?! Is there anything that obviously synergizes with barbarian?

Hmm, these paths are a little ........ wonky. So the basic one - Berserker - makes it kinda irrelevant that you can Frenzy more than once in a day, because doing so is tactical suicide. Then you have a bunch of others that are mostly garbage (not for the numbers, just because they're ill conceived), and then you have Zealot, which is kinda cool. Only, Zealot isn't as cool as having an extra attack every round (Berserker), but then we're back to Frenzy being tactical suicide.

Dammit. I read up on it, and now I'm none the wiser. Bah!
    If you're interested in Berserker, I'd like to offer some changes to the subclass which might make it a little more palatable to you:
    • [1] When you use your bonus action to activate rage, you can also make an attack with your melee weapon. (This is for regular rage as well as when/if you frenzy). You still get the bonus action attack on subsequent rounds as normal.
    • [2, a] Either reducing a level of exhaustion after a short rest, OR
    • [2, b] Instead of using the exhaustion mechanic, when you choose to Frenzy, you enter a battle trance that requires you to maintain concentration (like on a spell). If you lose concentration, your Frenzy ends, but you'll still be raging regularly.

For levels, taking Barbarian to 5 for Extra Attack is probably good if you wanna stick with Barb, and then taking levels 6 or 7 while you're at it. After that multiclassing into fighter, or rogue, or ranger (if you're interested in a spell-less variant I can whip something up) can all work well. Monk can work, and Druid can also work pretty well from my understanding, since you can rage and wild shape at the same time. Also, are any of the barbarian subclasses interesting to you but you don't like the mechanics? I can look into tweaking stuff for the other ones as well.

I'll have an IC post up tomorrow.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-11-29 at 10:54 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't remember: Do we roll for HP? Or do we take max?

13. - Top - End - #313

So .... it's obviously going to be Berserker. Because all my doubts and misgivings aside - it's just so Borgrim. On the Fatigue thing, here's my own take: Rage and/or Frenzy overrides Fatigue.

Because otherwise it's just so gods damned stupid. By the third level of Fatigue, it actually negates it's own advantages.

Either that, or Frenzy is just 'once a day'. That's frankly totally acceptable, gaining a full extra attack each round is wildly OP.

Thus, problem solved either way, we can move along peacably, like civilized men. Or, in the case of Borgrim, finely honed un-civilized men. I'll update my sheet. And pick max HP until proof of the opposite is presented.

Actually, since Borgrim has 27 HP, we have not previously taken max. Thus, HP: (1d12+3)[9]

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright then: HP - (1d8+2)[10]

EDIT: And I keep rolling max HP... I never was so lucky with attribute and HP rolls.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-11-30 at 06:56 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315

Can't remember: Do we roll for HP? Or do we take max?
    Roll for HP, re-roll 1s. Nice rolling !

So .... it's obviously going to be Berserker. Because all my doubts and misgivings aside - it's just so Borgrim. On the Fatigue thing, here's my own take: Rage and/or Frenzy overrides Fatigue.

Because otherwise it's just so gods damned stupid. By the third level of Fatigue, it actually negates it's own advantages.

Either that, or Frenzy is just 'once a day'. That's frankly totally acceptable, gaining a full extra attack each round is wildly OP.

Thus, problem solved either way, we can move along peacably, like civilized men. Or, in the case of Borgrim, finely honed un-civilized men. I'll update my sheet. And pick max HP until proof of the opposite is presented.

Actually, since Borgrim has 27 HP, we have not previously taken max. Thus, HP: [roll0]
    Rage/Frenzy temporarily overcoming exhaustion/fatigue works fine for me. I think it works pretty well as a simple tweak to the class.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry all, busy time. Will post shortly though.
    HP - (1d8)[3], HPbackup - (1d8)[8].
    Taking Agonizing Blast and Mask of many faces. Spell: Armor of Agathys. Changing Blade ward cantrip for friends.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't have time to post IC at the moment. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that before this weekend.

At least, I picked Stealth and Perception as expertise domains.
    Cha (Stealth) - (1d20+6)[10]
    Perception - (1d20+5)[15]

Of course, I forgot the cat. It may try to Sneak towards whatever is hiding on that roof. Rosa won't control it for that (she ain't into micro-management).

At the very least, Mao will try to get a whiff of that creature's smell.

Cat Stealth - (1d20)[1] + ?
    Cat Perception - (1d20)[17] + ?
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-12-05 at 10:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318

Of course, I forgot the cat. It may try to Sneak towards whatever is hiding on that roof. Rosa won't control it for that (she ain't into micro-management).

At the very least, Mao will try to get a whiff of that creature's smell.

[roll2] + ?
    [roll3] + ?
    Mao has a +4 to stealth and +3 to perception (and advantage on perception checks dealing with scent, I'll roll for him here, though a twenty is already quite good.)

[roll0] EDIT: I forgot preview messes up rolls, again.

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick
    So, I need a refresher on who's who: Lady Daria Valentis, Marak Greysteel, Lady Salancia (ruler), Captain Hopper. I'll hit the first OOC post to begin with. Let us know if there's more to be known.
    Daria Valentis is the head of the most successful merchant house in Port Blacksand (one of the four major houses). She's young and interested (publicly) in reforming a few things relating to trade and the watch, in opposition to Lady Salancia and Marak Greysteel.

Marak Greysteel is the commander the city watch, and the head of the oldest noble house in Blacksand. He's a traditionalist, and fully supports Lady Salancia. He is opposed by supporters of Valentis and Rogoan (the fourth and final house).

Captain Hopper is DeAnna Longtooth's boss, more or less, and one of the captains of the Night Watch. He's firmly loyal to Marak Greysteel.

Basically you have a Reform side (House Valentis and Rogoan) and a Traditionalist side (House Greysteel and Salancia).

If there's anything more specific you'd like to know, just ask.

EDIT: I'll have an IC post up in a little while.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-12-06 at 11:14 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319

The cat comes down from the roof, and rubs herself agaisnt César's leg, before running towards the rough, stopping in the middle of the street, turning to look back at César, then continuing fast on his way.

"Maybe that cat's got the right idea, should prob'bly respectfully get on my way off your street too."

{OOC}Trying to signal César without giving too much of a hint to those guards.
    I'll get César to make a Wisdom (Insight) check with advantage against a DC of 8, to interpret Mao's signal.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-12-07 at 03:31 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Wis - (1d20+1)[8], Wis - (1d20+1)[20]

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

César speaks cat!

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

César speaks cat!
    I am just as amazed as you are.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

23. - Top - End - #323

Not for nothing is Borgrim known across the lands of men and beyond as the Grim Leaper! The buildings stand close in this area of town - at least some of them do - but it wouldn't do to get too close to the prey, so Borgrim will proceed to the rooftops himself, but picking one within leaping distance of the house with the yellow door.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Athletics: [roll0]
    Stealth: [roll1]

Whoops. Dammit, where did all my good rolls go? I haven't rolled over 10 since ... two little boys was #1. (yay - christmas reference)
    Climbing up between any of the buildings on this street is not hard due to it being like a chimney, providing amble holds and brace points. If Borgrim wants to continue after this minor setback he can, albeit slowly. I was intending to use the athletics check more as a measure of climb speed and noisiness.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-12-10 at 11:39 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324

Climbing up between any of the buildings on this street is not hard due to it being like a chimney, providing amble holds and brace points. If Borgrim wants to continue after this minor setback he can, albeit slowly. I was intending to use the athletics check more as a measure of climb speed and noisiness.
    Ok .. shall I revise my post to reflect that?

25. - Top - End - #325

Ok .. shall I revise my post to reflect that?
    If you'd like to you can. I can work with it either way. I was about to post but lost it, so I won't have a post up until later today.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326

If you'd like to you can. I can work with it either way. I was about to post but lost it, so I won't have a post up until later today.
    Don't lose posts! It means we have to wait for updates =(

I'll edit.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

So, how's the ambient sound situation?

Would it seems reasonable to Rosa that she can whisper to César without attracting the killer's attention? Here's a roll, if needed to adjudicate this: Wis - (1d20+1)[21] (add 4 if it's Perception)

28. - Top - End - #328

Only just now does it occur to me that having lower jaw tusks or fangs make any sort of civilized drinking an exercise in futility, which works as an entirely logical, legit reason why the monstrous humanoid races quaff any and all alcoholic beverages.

*Gulp-gulp-gulp!* *hic!* Schorry .. it's either drink it or spill it. Regretfully. It'sch a handicap *hic*

29. - Top - End - #329

So, how's the ambient sound situation?

Would it seems reasonable to Rosa that she can whisper to César without attracting the killer's attention? Here's a roll, if needed to adjudicate this: [roll0] (add 4 if it's Perception)
    There's a decent breeze coming from the west, off the sea, and enough general city noise (various cats and dogs and drunks and other night folk going about their unscrupulous business) so that Rosa would be able to whisper very quietly and not be heard by the cloaked figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen
    Only just now does it occur to me that having lower jaw tusks or fangs make any sort of civilized drinking an exercise in futility, which works as an entirely logical, legit reason why the monstrous humanoid races quaff any and all alcoholic beverages.

*Gulp-gulp-gulp!* *hic!* Schorry .. it's either drink it or spill it. Regretfully. It'sch a handicap *hic*
    Ha!
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Five-Oh, I'll post IC soonish...