Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

Borgrim is of a mind to just follow the werecrow. But three stories is maybe pushing it, slightly, even for Borgrim. For one thing, you fall prone when suffering fall damage, which isn't much use in a pursuit. So it needs to be one of two: Either he needs to land on the werecrow, doing even more damage to it, and hopefully knocking it prone too - or he needs to find a way down, jumping from balcony to balcony or some such nonsense. Or grabbing a clothes line and riding that to the ground.

Is any such thing possible? You're welcome to make any rolls needed to resolve this.

Did you ask for a Wisdom check? Borgrims strongest suit, and anyone who says different can get a pummeling: (1d20)[6]

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Borgrim is of a mind to just follow the werecrow. But three stories is maybe pushing it, slightly, even for Borgrim. For one thing, you fall prone when suffering fall damage, which isn't much use in a pursuit. So it needs to be one of two: Either he needs to land on the werecrow, doing even more damage to it, and hopefully knocking it prone too - or he needs to find a way down, jumping from balcony to balcony or some such nonsense. Or grabbing a clothes line and riding that to the ground.

Is any such thing possible? You're welcome to make any rolls needed to resolve this.

Did you ask for a Wisdom check? Borgrims strongest suit, and anyone who says different can get a pummeling: [roll0]
    I think it was a perception check.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #363

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    I think it was a perception check.
    Yea .. sadly, Perception = Wisdom.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

Did you ask for a Wisdom check? Borgrims strongest suit, and anyone who says different can get a pummeling: [roll0]
    Yea .. sadly, Perception = Wisdom.
    Ya, the way 5th edition calls for checks, its almost always in the form of Ability (Proficiency) check, i.e. Wisdom (Perception), or Strength (Athletics).

There would be enough for Borgrim to slow his fall to avoid taking damage (a gable at the second story to land on, then grabbing a clothing line or similar for the rest of the drop). HOWEVER, Borgrim's Wis (Perception) check wasn't enough to spot the werecrow, so he doesn't know where in the alleyway it's gone. So I don't know whether he'd want to make the jump down without knowing where his target is. I'll leave that up to you.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-12-24 at 11:07 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, I will now admit that Sleepy the Doorman has already become my latest favorite NPC ever.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

6. - Top - End - #366

Sorry about the delay, folks. I'll have a post up tomorrow morning.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #367

Post up tomorrow, and I'll be back to regular posting.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Good news!

I hope you all had happy holidays and ate your bellyfill of whatever it is you people eat on holidays : D
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

9. - Top - End - #369

Oh .. christmas foods: Flæskesteg med sprød svær and risengrød med hvidtøl and stuff. Translated, that's a pork roast with crisp .. skin, I suppose, and a danish rice pudding which we drink with a special, dark, sweet ale. And we sprinkle it with cinnamon-sugar and a daub of butter. The pudding, that is. Not the beer.

Because baby Jesus loves pork.

Oh, and that ale, which is so dark it might as well be black? We call that white beer. Because we can, and you can't stop us.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll admit I had more than my fill of tortellini, risotto and lasagne, emptied prosecco bottles like there was no tomorrow, and always made room for some pandoro covered with the mascarpone sauce (the one used in tiramisù).

It's good to be home for the holidays.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #371

Gah, I don't think I'll be able to get a post up tonight. Sorry again for the delay folks
    Show

12. - Top - End - #372

Really? One turn? So .. basically, if you ever fight a barbarian, you wait for him to rage, full move away from him, and if he full moves to follow ...... you win. He now has disadvantage on everything.

That's dumb.

Since time out of memory, it's been my vocal opinion that the people who get paid to write rulebooks are quite literally terrible at their jobs. This is something that should have occurred to them, or something that should have come up in playtesting .. it's not something that should have made it into the rules. I'm all for trade-offs, but this is dumb.

I'm not asking for a house rule, mind - I'm just complaining.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Should have thought of that before deciding to play a big dumb barbarian :P

I guess Borgrim has poor constitution and asthma or something?

So, two questions:

One, now that she's seen it in action, does the Werecrow's shadow melding power look like a spell? Or more like some other sort of ability? Did Rosa notice him chant or use somatic components to blink away? Arcana - (1d20+5)[21]

I'm asking because if it's a spell, he might have exhausted that. If not, it seems senseless to chase a teleporter. (We could still try to track him by smell.)

Two, had the Werecrow left any belonging behind him? A piece of cloak caught on a nail, whatever? (I'm aware he left at least some spell component, but Rosa didn't witness it.)
    Perception - (1d20+5)[13]

I'm asking because a leftover belonging may give us a chance to scry him later.

14. - Top - End - #374

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post

Blame is on me, for not reading the rules beforehand, and just assuming everything would be like in 3.5. This isn't even my first 5e campaign, so it's not like I didn't have advance warning.

But yea - I guess it's the 'or something'. Maybe it's blood sugar: Barbarians get so worked up, they deplete their blood sugar in moments, and become very very tired, really quickly =)

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

We're back!

As for keeping rage on, could you... say... attack a square with your fists? Like a boxer keeping limber during training?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #376

Really? One turn? So .. basically, if you ever fight a barbarian, you wait for him to rage, full move away from him, and if he full moves to follow ...... you win. He now has disadvantage on everything.

That's dumb.

Since time out of memory, it's been my vocal opinion that the people who get paid to write rulebooks are quite literally terrible at their jobs. This is something that should have occurred to them, or something that should have come up in playtesting .. it's not something that should have made it into the rules. I'm all for trade-offs, but this is dumb.

I'm not asking for a house rule, mind - I'm just complaining.
    Well I actually miss-spoke in the IC thread. Barbarians lose rage if they don't attack OR TAKE Damage. So if Borgrim wants to maintain Rage, he can use his bonus action to Frenzy attack himself (since he wouldn't have used his bonus action for movement). Assuming Borgrim punches himself, he'd take 7 (1+4+2), reduced to 3 damage. Nothing in the rules states that the damage can't be self inflicted. EDIT: If you want to edit your IC post taking this new information into account, please feel free to do so!

As for house rules, you may not be asking for it, but I'm going to give them anyway . I've been doing some thinking about Rage in general, and since we're using Longer Rests variant rules, there are two I'd like to implement (I'll add them, as well as the Frenzy changes to the first post in this thread):

1. Rage doesn't require any action to activate. This is just a general one that I think should have been the base rule all along. It doesn't raise the barbarian ceiling that much, and allows them a few more options on the turn they activate rage.

2. Since we're using the Gritty Realism rest rules, and Barbarians are very dependant on rage to be effective, I'd like to suggest that Barbarians double the amount of rages they get per long rest, but the duration of the rages is halved. So the total number of rounds/long rest spent raging is the same, but it should be less restrictive. And you'd still be able to use a second rage to extend a 5-round rage to a full minute if you wished.

So, two questions:

One, now that she's seen it in action, does the Werecrow's shadow melding power look like a spell? Or more like some other sort of ability? Did Rosa notice him chant or use somatic components to blink away? [roll0]

I'm asking because if it's a spell, he might have exhausted that. If not, it seems senseless to chase a teleporter. (We could still try to track him by smell.)

Two, had the Werecrow left any belonging behind him? A piece of cloak caught on a nail, whatever? (I'm aware he left at least some spell component, but Rosa didn't witness it.)
    [roll1]

I'm asking because a leftover belonging may give us a chance to scry him later.
    The shadow-teleport is a supernatural/magical ability rather than a spell. Rosa sees no sign of any vocal/material/somatic components, or anything else spell-like about it (apart from its effect, I guess). It appears to Rosa to be limited to teleporting between areas of shadow, though she could only guess at its maximum range.

Glancing down, Rosa catches sight of two damaged crow feathers at the spot where the were-crow teleported from.

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick
    As for keeping rage on, could you... say... attack a square with your fists? Like a boxer keeping limber during training?
    Unfortunately Rage specifies that the attack must be made against a "Hostile Creature" so that wouldn't work. Hitting yourself, as I mentioned above, however, should work.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2020-01-13 at 01:59 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Well I actually miss-spoke in the IC thread. Barbarians lose rage if they don't attack OR TAKE Damage. So if Borgrim wants to maintain Rage, he can use his bonus action to Frenzy attack himself (since he wouldn't have used his bonus action for movement).
    Alright! It all makes sense now. So that's what Kylo Ren was doing punching himself in his blaster wound in Episode VII...

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    1. Rage doesn't require any action to activate. This is just a general one that I think should have been the base rule all along. It doesn't raise the barbarian ceiling that much, and allows them a few more options on the turn they activate rage.

2. Since we're using the Gritty Realism rest rules, and Barbarians are very dependant on rage to be effective, I'd like to suggest that Barbarians double the amount of rages they get per long rest, but the duration of the rages is halved. So the total number of rounds/long rest spent raging is the same, but it should be less restrictive. And you'd still be able to use a second rage to extend a 5-round rage to a full minute if you wished.
    Perfectly viable, thanks. And no, Borgrim's actions are fine. I like him showing a bit of weakness, it makes him very slightly less 2-dimensional.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

If César figures that the chase is over, either by Raven-sight or by Message, he will send his drone raven to guide the others to his position.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there anything holding us up? Rosa's and Borgrim's theatrics shouldn't prevent us from moving forward.

I'm fine with fast-forwarding to the next scene, if the GM wants so.

21. - Top - End - #381

Is there anything holding us up? Rosa's and Borgrim's theatrics shouldn't prevent us from moving forward.

I'm fine with fast-forwarding to the next scene, if the GM wants so.
    No, It's just me I'm afraid. I'll have a post up in the morning. I've had a rough patch the last few weeks that's now clearing up.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

OMFG THIS FORUM IS BAAAACK

WHERE ARE YOU GUYS? I MISSED YOU!

EDIT: Stupid forum doesn't want to let me post in all caps to convey enthusiasm and over excitement!
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2020-02-23 at 03:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #383

Ha ha , I'm back. Nice to see you back as well, Shade.

It might be a day or two before I get a post up in the IC and get things moving again.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #384

So everyone is still around? Excellent. Let's goo! =)

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

I am here as well. As you might now know, I tired and failed to get everyone's contact info before the shutdown.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2020-02-24 at 05:21 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

26. - Top - End - #386

I am here as well. As you might now know, I tired and failed to get everyone's contact info before the shutdown.
    A+ for effort. Somewhat less for execution =)

27. - Top - End - #387

Sorry for the delay, folks. I'll have a post up later tomorrow.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

My bad with the persuasion.

Due to the hiatus, I do not remember how my rerolls are at the moment. Anyone remembers?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

29. - Top - End - #389

My bad with the persuasion.

Due to the hiatus, I do not remember how my rerolls are at the moment. Anyone remembers?
    I'm afraid I haven't been keeping track of your luck re-rolls/Human re-rolls. However, if César just wants to help Rosa with her Persuasion check, then he doesn't actually need to make a roll. In 5e the 'Help' Action doesn't require a roll at all. And in this case, César's argument is plenty enough to give Rosa Advantage.

I'll have an IC post up shortly.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

So, correct me if I'm wrong. Nick is in Italy. His job is in the health sector. He may well be overworked for the near future.

Smelly Cheese Land is also going under, either tonight or tomorrow. US doesn't look far behind. I don't get much news about Daneland, but I guess it's not much better either.