Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

I have all the time in the world. Denmark shut down entirely (well, almost) last friday, and now I'm just doddering about at home, doing f*ck-all.

For the record, I will say that I personally consider this to be overdoing it. It's just ... the flu (and yes, I know it's a new strain, and there's no vaccine and no immunity or anything - still just a flu).

But I can post near-constantly, if thus called.

Edit: Oh - I also realise it's looking fairly crazy in Italy. Not being dismissive of the particular seriousness of the situation there. I just feel that the reaction here is poorly chosen.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2020-03-16 at 01:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Figures:

In France, the 1918 flu killed 240.000 people, over 39 million inhabitants.

Regular flu kills +- 10.000 each year.

Today, the government is basing its policy on projections of 300.000 to 500.000 over 67 million inhabitants.

It is a respiratory disease. You basically choke to death. The problem is that there are around 10.000 hospital "beds" equipped with necessary breathing apparatus. Projections says that at peak epidemic time, their could be 100.000 people in need of respiratory assistance. A lot of people may die not because of the inherent property of the disease, but because of a relative lack of infrastructure to help them.

As much as I'm critical of the French government's policy, trying to slow down the spread of the epidemic (since it's far too late to avoid it now) may help lessen the stress on health structures.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi, just letting you know that I am not currently overworked but I might just be in the near future. Where I am is not as bad as other parts of Italy, and social distancing might be having an effect.

Regarding "being just like the flu", that's what I was saying as well when the virus was confined to Asia but now that I have had the chance to really look into it I must say I was wrong. The response of nations worldwide is more than justified, and possibly a little late in some cases. Time will tell. England will be our control group in this case, as their government seems ok with having people die (as admitted by the prime minister).
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #394

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Figures:

In France, the 1918 flu killed 240.000 people, over 39 million inhabitants.

Regular flu kills +- 10.000 each year.

Today, the government is basing its policy on projections of 300.000 to 500.000 over 67 million inhabitants.

It is a respiratory disease. You basically choke to death. The problem is that there are around 10.000 hospital "beds" equipped with necessary breathing apparatus. Projections says that at peak epidemic time, their could be 100.000 people in need of respiratory assistance. A lot of people may die not because of the inherent property of the disease, but because of a relative lack of infrastructure to help them.

As much as I'm critical of the French government's policy, trying to slow down the spread of the epidemic (since it's far too late to avoid it now) may help lessen the stress on health structures.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    Hi, just letting you know that I am not currently overworked but I might just be in the near future. Where I am is not as bad as other parts of Italy, and social distancing might be having an effect.

Regarding "being just like the flu", that's what I was saying as well when the virus was confined to Asia but now that I have had the chance to really look into it I must say I was wrong. The response of nations worldwide is more than justified, and possibly a little late in some cases. Time will tell. England will be our control group in this case, as their government seems ok with having people die (as admitted by the prime minister).
    I know all the figures, and as much of the science as may reasonably be expected of a layman who works in employment and studied philosophy.

Here's by baseline: We have a definite, worst-case scenario, which has played out and finished. Diamond Princess had 4800 people on board - easily enough for statistic relevance. There were some 700 infected, and 7 dead.

It's not ... as bad ... as it seems. At least not under those circumstances. I am unsure whether there are real, reliable numbers from Italy. It looks rather bad, but if it is, there's a reason. A sane, reasonable one - not 'the disease that didn't really do a lot on Diamond Princess is now suddenly a monster killer like the 1918 flu.'

That's where my reasoning comes from. All provided I have accurate info - from the press.

So sure ... something seems to be playing out differently in Italy. I want to know why. Confining entire nations to their homes is an over-reaction. I think.

I should point out that no one should ever take their medical advice from anyone who isn't a doctor - especially not some layman who works in employment and studied philosophy.

But I'm still intelligent enough to form my own opinions, and question what I'm fed by authorities. Also, on a side note, not a conspiracy buff =)

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Respiratory viruses can be very contagious. Passengers on the ship were probably in some form of lockdown to limit the spread. Also, they were probably healthy on average.

Italy has 3.2 hospital beds /1000 inhabitants. Compare to 8/1000 in Germany or 13/1000 of Japan. ITU beds are 12.5/100.000. compare that the USA (an astounding 34.7/100,000) Or Germany (29.2/100,000).
    Most patients are mild, but each patient tends to infect 2-3 people at a time in the wild before symptoms start. The acute cases are few, but these people suffocate and die if they cannot get treatment adequate for their severity.
    Therefore, at least here, we need to slow things down considerably if we don't want people to die more than necessary.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #396

Respiratory viruses can be very contagious. Passengers on the ship were probably in some form of lockdown to limit the spread. Also, they were probably healthy on average.

Italy has 3.2 hospital beds /1000 inhabitants. Compare to 8/1000 in Germany or 13/1000 of Japan. ITU beds are 12.5/100.000. compare that the USA (an astounding 34.7/100,000) Or Germany (29.2/100,000).
    Most patients are mild, but each patient tends to infect 2-3 people at a time in the wild before symptoms start. The acute cases are few, but these people suffocate and die if they cannot get treatment adequate for their severity.
    Therefore, at least here, we need to slow things down considerably if we don't want people to die more than necessary.
    They were eventually put in lockdown, yes. But that doesn't alter the facts that until lockdown, it was the worst possible case - shared facilities for all meals, aircon, crowds, the works.

Medical capacity is clearly a factor. I've been thinking that the Italian high percentage of elderly, combined with a tendency towards extended families, possibly combined with a lower overall capacity (beds, as you say) may be enough, combined, to create the challenges we see now. But that's pure guesswork, I have no data to base that on.

I do however guarantee that there aren't 3.2 beds / 1000 passengers on a cruise ship, nor are there any ITU's at all. Well. Propably =D

Isn't the abbreviation ICU's, tho? Intensive Care Units?
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2020-03-17 at 09:26 AM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    They were eventually put in lockdown, yes. But that doesn't alter the facts that until lockdown, it was the worst possible case - shared facilities for all meals, aircon, crowds, the works.

Medical capacity is clearly a factor. I've been thinking that the Italian high percentage of elderly, combined with a tendency towards extended families, possibly combined with a lower overall capacity (beds, as you say) may be enough, combined, to create the challenges we see now. But that's pure guesswork, I have no data to base that on.

I do however guarantee that there aren't 3.2 beds / 1000 passengers on a cruise ship, nor are there any ITU's at all. Well. Propably =D

Isn't the abbreviation ICU's, tho? Intensive Care Units?
    Hi, yes I meant ICU. My default language is not English so my cellphone sometimes correct stuff it shouldn't.

I agree that something does not compute. Today's Italian bulletin states we have about 30,000 confirmed cases, with about half of them requiring hospital beds or more, and 3000 deaths.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #398

Hi, yes I meant ICU. My default language is not English so my cellphone sometimes correct stuff it shouldn't.

I agree that something does not compute. Today's Italian bulletin states we have about 30,000 confirmed cases, with about half of them requiring hospital beds or more, and 3000 deaths.
    Autocorrect frankly is one of the worst things ever - I admit I love it like 90% of the time, but the rest? It drives me right up the f*cking walls! =D

I read today that upwards of 50% of affected show no signs of infection at all. That's been my suspicion all along: Healthy carriers. Now there's a trick.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry folks, I've been dragging my feet. I'll have a post up in the IC shortly.

Things here in middle of Canada aren't too bad yet, though the US/Canada border has been closed today to non-essential travel, and all gatherings/restaurants etc. are closed/cancelled in my city. Only a handful of confirmed cases so far, but that's sure to rise. I haven't really been affect much so far, though I have a few friends in health care who are currently in self-isolation, having just got back from an (in retrospect) ill-timed trip last week.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

I read today that upwards of 50% of affected show no signs of infection at all. That's been my suspicion all along: Healthy carriers. Now there's a trick.
    That's actually a very tricky one, and no one knows. Estimations are too far apart to be much usefull.

Outside of that cruise boat, it's hard to tell: On one side, asymptomatic people don't get tested and, on the other side, once the disease is well spread enough, there's not enough tests for everyone to make certain, even for sick people. Somebody from my partner's family has been pretty sick for the last week and a half, and they've concluded he's got it based on symptoms only. Whether he's been counted in the official stats is unsure. Seeing his age, it could have been a bad case of the flu. (He's recovering, now, don't worry.)

Most estimations agree that because of lack of testing, the official published numbers of both infected (whether symptomatic or not) and sick people are both under the reality. By how far is what creates most discussions between experts.

Back to the boat 4800 traveller, 7 dead. That's certain. At least 700 show symptoms during the quarantine. How many where infected? Very probably more than 700. Was it 4700? Or 2000? Or 750? That changes actually pretty much about how to handle the disease. Let me remind you that the virus is new, and there's credible doubt about the accuracy of the early tests.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2020-03-19 at 10:46 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

11. - Top - End - #401

That's actually a very tricky one, and no one knows. Estimations are too far apart to be much usefull.

Outside of that cruise boat, it's hard to tell: On one side, asymptomatic people don't get tested and, on the other side, once the disease is well spread enough, there's not enough tests for everyone to make certain, even for sick people. Somebody from my partner's family has been pretty sick for the last week and a half, and they've concluded he's got it based on symptoms only. Whether he's been counted in the official stats is unsure. Seeing his age, it could have been a bad case of the flu. (He's recovering, now, don't worry.)

Most estimations agree that because of lack of testing, the official published numbers of both infected (whether symptomatic or not) and sick people are both under the reality. By how far is what creates most discussions between experts.

Back to the boat 4800 traveller, 7 dead. That's certain. At least 700 show symptoms during the quarantine. How many where infected? Very probably more than 700. Was it 4700? Or 2000? Or 750? That changes actually pretty much about how to handle the disease. Let me remind you that the virus is new, and there's credible doubt about the accuracy of the early tests.
    If only they'd grabbed the chance to make proper statistics, right? I'd say - almost for sure - that most if not all were exposed to the virus. I'd have tested all of them, and I have to assume .. they were? But they were on the boat so long, quite a few must have recovered by the time the authorities got around to do proper work.

I dunno. It's interesting.

My real fear isn't the virus, tho - it's the precedent. Now, next time there's an outbreak, this will be the norm. We've struck a mighty blow for more panic, less information, more exaggerated headlines. I'm honestly sad.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

If only they'd grabbed the chance to make proper statistics, right? I'd say - almost for sure - that most if not all were exposed to the virus. I'd have tested all of them, and I have to assume .. they were? But they were on the boat so long, quite a few must have recovered by the time the authorities got around to do proper work.

I dunno. It's interesting.

My real fear isn't the virus, tho - it's the precedent. Now, next time there's an outbreak, this will be the norm. We've struck a mighty blow for more panic, less information, more exaggerated headlines. I'm honestly sad.
    As mentioned, early tests might have been unreliable, and even now nasal swabs are not a gold standard by any means.

However, South Corea is doing a lot of tests right now, so even considering the shortcomings they might come up with a better number than we have.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #403

Got bogged down with stuff this weekend. I'll have a post up tomorrow morning.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Can Rosa reroll for noticing those runes know that César has mentionned them aloud? Here's a Perception roll Wis - (1d20+5)[13] (and Extra - (1d20+5)[23]).

This is for RP purposes, it doesn't change much.

15. - Top - End - #405

Can Rosa reroll for noticing those runes know that César has mentionned them aloud? Here's a Perception roll [roll0] (and [roll1]).

This is for RP purposes, it doesn't change much.
    Ya, that makes sense to me. She'd know what to look for once César mentions it.

Also, do we want to skip back to Nicodemus'? Assuming that's where everyone would like to spend what's left of the night.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Also, do we want to skip back to Nicodemus'? Assuming that's where everyone would like to spend what's left of the night.
    Agreed. With a stop at Hugo's on the way, but I guess we can skip that narratively, unless Borgrim wants to flirt with the mighty doorman in PJs : D

17. - Top - End - #407

Agreed. With a stop at Hugo's on the way, but I guess we can skip that narratively, unless Borgrim wants to flirt with the mighty doorman in PJs : D
    I used to work as a removal guy once. It was a long time ago. But I learned important lessons - surprising ones, in part. For one thing, your average removal guy is (unsurprisingly) rather huge, tattooed, somewhat lacking in formal education and social graces, drinks on the job even though it will get him fired, and goes to understandably great lenghts to keep this fact a secret.

Also, there's one rule: You take no more than two steps without your hands full.

Also, and this is true word for word: They told me 'you're not a real man until you've tried both genders and a negro' (their words, not mine - I merely relate the facts as they played out).

What surprises me is that, frankly, I expected the type of guy to be rather homophobic, but not so. My prejudice put to shame =)

How does this relate to Borgrim? Not at all, except he likely considers himself a 'real man', and would thus have to give serious thought to the challenge of Hugo the doorman.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

Good for me too.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #409

I leave it up to Wog to decide how much to make of Borgrims day off - how soon the others manage to find and stop him, how much (or how little) trouble he makes for himself and everyone, and in what order. I provide only the following rolls in case they are needed:

Stealth: (1d20+4)[20]
    Intimidation: (1d20+1)[20] - or, you know, potentially +4, if one were to base it on strength
    Handle animal: (1d20+2)[3] - because I feel the borrowing of a random horse may well happen, for any number of reasons
    Athletics: (1d20+6)[14]

Attack (unarmed, he's not likely to try and kill anyone): (1d20+6)[7]

He will - hopefully - at some point have to try to charm Naihm. So, well, can I get advantage on that?

Charisma: (1d20+1)[16] .... or .... (1d20+1)[11]

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

He will - hopefully - at some point have to try to charm Naihm. So, well, can I get advantage on that?
    I hypocritically second this demand for advantage by putting forward a sexist stereotype saying that jewels are a lady's best friend. A best friend should most certainly give advantage.

(Not that that first roll isn't better than the second anyways.)

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Double post:

Mao tries to track Borgrim by smell. The cat's got +3 Perception and advantage on smell based rolls, right? Perception - (1d20+3)[9], Advantage - (1d20+3)[19].

Here's for Rosa: Perception - (1d20+5)[13].

Rosa won't ask passer-bys and give them Borgrim's description, even if that would be the most sensible course of action, because she's a sociopatich *ahem* "witch".

But César could very reasonnably ask hard-working, proud and honest citizens to help the watch track down a person of interest? He's got good Charisma, and guard attire might give Advantage? What is sure is that Rosa ain't gonna stoop so low as to aid a guard interrogating people : ) I guess Benésar's raven can help us from up high, too...

Familiar team-up for the win!

22. - Top - End - #412

a sexist stereotype saying that jewels are a lady's best friend
    If it is true - is it really a prejudice?

Regardless - sexist or not - Borgrim has the best intentions, limited scope, and only does what he thinks is best.

Familiar team-up for the win!
    Objection! It's a cat, and a bird. Their cooperation should be obviously contradictory =)

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

What does Rosa know about the ethereal and entities therein? Arcana - (1d20+5)[22]

24. - Top - End - #414

Let me know if/what I need to roll. I would go as Cesar to the city officials and as Ben to the merchants. @GM: What was that Black-Onyx Amulet I have on my sheet, I wonder?
    The amulet is a magic item that can be used by a Warlock as a spell focus. In César's case, he could use it for both his Warlock spells and his Sorcerer spells. It can also be used to try to cast a cantrip you don't know from the Warlock list, provided one first succeeds on a DC 10 Intelligence (Arcana) check. If you fail the check, so does the spell, and whether you succeed or fail, you can't use that property again until the next day.

What does Rosa know about the ethereal and entities therein? [roll0]
    Rosa knows that the Ethereal plane resides parallel to the Material plane, and is the home of spirits and other incorporeal creatures. Creatures from the Material can sometimes travel through the Ethereal, bypassing otherwise solid objects, either by means of specific gates (fairy rings, intersections of ley lines, obelisks, etc.) or by powerful magics, usually with strict limitations. While on the Ethereal plane one can perceive the Material (though not as clearly), but creatures on the Material cannot typically perceive those on the Ethereal, except by means of magic or supernatural senses. Typically those on the Ethereal have no ability to affect those on the Material, though again, certain powerful magics and beings might have a limited ability to interact.

Specifically, Rosa's most likely determined that the Nighthag can perceive into the Ethereal, and likely has some artifact or talisman that would allow her to travel through it in some fashion. Rosa also suspects that Zanbar Bone's travel through the Ethereal is governed by the Moon. Without moonlight, he most likely can't pass between the planes.

Was there anything more specific that you wanted to ask about?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

Was there anything more specific that you wanted to ask about?
    Yes: How to find, trap, hinder or hurt something on the ethereal.

I guess we can ask Furtha for the find part, maybe even for the trap part.

Maybe our best way to finish Zanbar Bones is to attract his spirit (not unlike Furtha did), manage to keep Bones in place and try to destroy him. With the spirit hurt, destroyed or disabled, then we may try to go his hideout and dispose of his worldly remains, just to make certain.

As César said: best way to find somebody is have them come to you!

26. - Top - End - #416

There's another thing, Borgrim would like to 'research': The adventuring group Nicodemus was once a part of. Members, composition, known quests completed, history, rumors, all of it.

There has to be a bard somewhere. Bards can be had for money.

27. - Top - End - #417

Yes: How to find, trap, hinder or hurt something on the ethereal.

I guess we can ask Furtha for the find part, maybe even for the trap part.

Maybe our best way to finish Zanbar Bones is to attract his spirit (not unlike Furtha did), manage to keep Bones in place and try to destroy him. With the spirit hurt, destroyed or disabled, then we may try to go his hideout and dispose of his worldly remains, just to make certain.

As César said: best way to find somebody is have them come to you!
    There's another thing, Borgrim would like to 'research': The adventuring group Nicodemus was once a part of. Members, composition, known quests completed, history, rumors, all of it.

There has to be a bard somewhere. Bards can be had for money.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrKnick
    Let me know if/what I need to roll. I would go as Cesar to the city officials and as Ben to the merchants.
    So I'll assume the three of you spend the morning tracking down leads/researching info etc. I'll need a few more checks from you:
    • Rosa: An Intelligence (Investigation) check to go with her arcana check, to look through Nicodemus' notes/track down a book or two from a local library
    • Borgrim: A Strength (Intimidation) check and a Constitution check to find a bard in some seedy tavern with something on Nicodemus' adventuring days
    • César/Ben: An Intelligence (Investigation) check and a Charisma (Persuasion) check to get info from the city organizers and merchants.

Then if you want you can meet up and check in on Furtha's progress.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2020-04-08 at 11:15 AM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #418

So I'll assume the three of you spend the morning tracking down leads/researching info etc. I'll need a few more checks from you:
    Borgrim: A Strength (Intimidation) check and a Constitution check to find a bard in some seedy tavern with something on Nicodemus' adventuring days
    Checks:

Intimidation: (1d20+6)[24]
    Constitution: (1d20+3)[15]

However, keep in mind that Borgrim is more than willing to let his purse do the talking, rather than his biceps and steely gaze.

Not that that's to say he's unwilling to use biceps, gaze and the threat of unpleasantness, violence and possibly death, if generous bribes fail to produce results. Of course.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's the requested roll: Investigation - (1d20+5)[22]

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

INVESTIGATION - (1d20+1)[14], PERSUASION - (1d20+6)[25]
    We should meet at the priest's place.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika