Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

... I should'a used Rage before all that jumping and stuff. Turns out I have advantage on strength based checks and saves. Also resistance to most physical damage. And with Reckless Attacks I have advantage on attacks too.

Note to self: Rage on Initiative.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    ... I should'a used Rage before all that jumping and stuff. Turns out I have advantage on strength based checks and saves. Also resistance to most physical damage. And with Reckless Attacks I have advantage on attacks too.

Note to self: Rage on Initiative.
    It's good we get some practice early onthen.

Plan: the Raven will fly in through the other window and position himself behind the second east archer, providing and receiving a flanking bonus (hopefully) and using the help action to give Borgrim advantage on his attack (in the future, when he rages, I might provide the bonus to someone else who need it, like myself). Ben will step laterally into the street and shoot, preferring wounded targets, and then step back behind cover.

Edit: rolls in the Rolling thread. Very nice.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-19 at 02:55 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    Edit: rolls in the Rolling thread. Very nice.
    The luck! You're siphoning all of it! Give it back your horder!
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    The luck! You're siphoning all of it! Give it back your horder!
    It is because I took the lucky feat, you see.

Question: do you ever roll more than 2 dices if you have "more advantage"?
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-19 at 08:57 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #95

I .. think not. Advantage and disadvantage cancel each other out. So having more than one source of advantage is good, in case someone comes along to try and cancel it.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not from multiple sources of advantage. RAW with the Lucky Feat gets a bit weirder. If you use it when you already have advantage you'd be able to choose from 3 dice. The way it's worded that would ALSO work when you have disadvantage, but I'd prefer Lucky to instead reduce the disadvantage to a single die first, and then add the extra die (so you'd have the equivalent of advantage if you used Lucky while you had disadvantage).

I think I forgot to mention, but if you have multiple sources of advantage, I'll give a +1 (stacking) bonus for every source beyond the first. So you at least get a little benefit from multiple advantages (i.e. two sources of advantage would give you advantage, and a +1 to the rolls).
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll think Rosa is next. If you wants the Raven to help, just say so. The Barbarian is already raging, there's little point in keeping it there, and you might need it for sneak attack (?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Not from multiple sources of advantage. RAW with the Lucky Feat gets a bit weirder. If you use it when you already have advantage you'd be able to choose from 3 dice. The way it's worded that would ALSO work when you have disadvantage, but I'd prefer Lucky to instead reduce the disadvantage to a single die first, and then add the extra die (so you'd have the equivalent of advantage if you used Lucky while you had disadvantage).

I think I forgot to mention, but if you have multiple sources of advantage, I'll give a +1 (stacking) bonus for every source beyond the first. So you at least get a little benefit from multiple advantages (i.e. two sources of advantage would give you advantage, and a +1 to the rolls).
    Ok. Makes sense. I understand the difference.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-19 at 12:36 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll think Rosa is next. If you wants the Raven to help, just say so. The Barbarian is already raging, there's little point in keeping it there, and you might need it for sneak attack (?).
    Nah, don't worry about me. And anyway, that lone guy doing 2 damages is not going to be much of a threat.

In other news, I realize Rosa can't climb for the life of her, which is contrary to the characterization I had in mind. GM, can I still switch her proficiency in Religion with Athletics?
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

9. - Top - End - #99

Nah, don't worry about me. And anyway, that lone guy doing 2 damages is not going to be much of a threat.

In other news, I realize Rosa can't climb for the life of her, which is contrary to the characterization I had in mind. GM, can I still switch her proficiency in Religion with Athletics?
    Yes, by all means do so.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100

Um ... is that the combat done? Because there's .. a bit more to do here.

11. - Top - End - #101

Um ... is that the combat done? Because there's .. a bit more to do here.
    I'll just wait for WalkingTheShade to have a chance to post, since Rosa act's before everyone else. But yes, Borgrim's attack and Benedicts will be enough to end the combat.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll just wait for WalkingTheShade to have a chance to post, since Rosa act's before everyone else. But yes, Borgrim's attack and Benedicts will be enough to end the combat.
    That's nice. However, I'm going to described actions as if Grim and Ben managed to act before Rosa, i.e. as if Rosa hesitated and delayed her action.

13. - Top - End - #103

That's nice. However, I'm going to described actions as if Grim and Ben managed to act before Rosa, i.e. as if Rosa hesitated and delayed her action.
    And I just need for Ben and Rosa to come find Grim being Grim.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

And I just need for Ben and Rosa to come find Grim being Grim.
    Somehow, I think Rosa is going to stay downstairs and more-or-less consciously ignoring whatever grim business is going on upstairs. By the way, now it's the Grim Slayer, not just Grim.

Does Rosa figure out what spell Benedict has been slinging? Arcana - (1d20+5)[24]

15. - Top - End - #105

Somehow, I think Rosa is going to stay downstairs and more-or-less consciously ignoring whatever grim business is going on upstairs.
    Bah .. but, if you have the patience for it, Grim will eventually emerge of his own accord.

16. - Top - End - #106

Ok, I'll have an IC post up shortly.

Somehow, I think Rosa is going to stay downstairs and more-or-less consciously ignoring whatever grim business is going on upstairs. By the way, now it's the Grim Slayer, not just Grim.

Does Rosa figure out what spell Benedict has been slinging? [roll0]
    If Rosa want's to use her reaction on the last round to identify the spell, she can. I'll assume she did since she didn't have anything else to spend it on. Your roll is well above the DC needed.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

If you care to look, you find 4 gold pieces between the archers, as well as a pouch full of tobacco, a full quiver of arrows, and two serviceable short bows. The inside of the houses are poorly furnished with old, mildewy sofas and battered dressers.
    Rosa, for on;e won't dirty her gloved hands patting down such filthy amateurs or, well, spread out pieces of said amateurs, only to gather pocket change. Benedict and Borgrim are free to share it how they want.

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade
    Once inside, I don't know if it's the cat's Perception's mod or Rosa's that should be rolled? Perception - (1d20)[4], with +5 for Rosa. The cat tries to go around the place. He'll try to remember any scent left on the broken windows.
    I'd like a second perception check for Mao, as he has advantage on checks concerning scents. I'm not sure about RAW, but I assume you would use the abilities and modifiers of the familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick
    I'm not sure if it is intentional or not, but the class description does not mention the whole being blinded and all that. I attributed that to a superior class feature, since I could also get a regular familiar. Let me know if that's not the case.

Also, 'turning' into C้sar to go and chat up the guards. Let me know what rolls do you need.
    I'm assuming it's intentional, though it's Unearthed Arcana material so it may be an oversight. We'll assume it's better than a regular familiar for the time being.

Turning into C้sar shouldn't require any rolls, just a few minutes of preparation in a place out of the rain. You'll be able to in the alley running behind Nicodemus' house.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like a second perception check for Mao, as he has advantage on checks concerning scents. I'm not sure about RAW, but I assume you would use the abilities and modifiers of the familiar.
    Be my guest: Perception - (1d20)[6] Wow... Still better than that first roll, but... I hope it doesn't result in one deep fried cat. If it only results in the cat not finding an obvious alternate route inside, Rosa will check the alleys around the house, just in case.

Turning into C้sar shouldn't require any rolls, just a few minutes of preparation in a place out of the rain. You'll be able to in the alley running behind Nicodemus' house.
    Yeah, well, unless Benedict doesn't want us to know he's Superman Clark Kent *ahem* C้sar, I guess we'll be hanging out in the same alley while Rosa guides the cat though recon?

(Doesn't Benedict need a phone-booth to do that? What's the medieval fantasy stand-in for a phone-booth?)
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-05-22 at 09:23 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Be my guest: [roll0] Wow... Still better than that first roll, but... I hope it doesn't result in one deep fried cat. If it only results in the cat not finding an obvious alternate route inside, Rosa will check the alleys around the house, just in case.

Yeah, well, unless Benedict doesn't want us to know he's Superman Clark Kent *ahem* C้sar, I guess we'll be hanging out in the same alley while Rosa guides the cat though recon?
    I'd say he'd like to edge his bets for the time being. It's not that he doesn't trust you. He just think you are not as skilful as he his at keeping his secret. He's going to all this effort to help you, you see.

Doesn't Benedict need a phone-booth to do that? What's the medieval fantasy stand-in for a phone-booth?)
    It's obviously a public urinal.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-22 at 09:40 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Rosa silently gives a handful of coppers to the beggar. "Drink one to my health, brother."

She passes the beggar, then stops in her tracks. "Say, brother, ever heard of one Zanbar Bone through the grapevine? What's the word on that fellow?" Silver shines in her hand.
    Well, asking random beggars in the street might not be the way to go to dig intel about the BBEG, but I was wondering if there were rumors about him in town. (Rumors about the BBEG, not the beggar, duh.)

It's my fault for making overlong posts with many actions described in them. I guess that beggar had nothing worthwhile to give us, right?

22. - Top - End - #112

Well, asking random beggars in the street might not be the way to go to dig intel about the BBEG, but I was wondering if there were rumors about him in town. (Rumors about the BBEG, not the beggar, duh.)

It's my fault for making overlong posts with many actions described in them. I guess that beggar had nothing worthwhile to give us, right?
    Ah, oops, I knew I'd forgotten something. The beggar doesn't know anything about Zanbar Bone. When asked, he replies,

"That be Mr. and Mrs. Boney down on Catfish Road? Nice family that, always generous with a loaf or a bit of fish, or a coin when they can spare it. Don't know no Zanbar, though."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

So, mmm... Does Borgrim want to help shuffle papers around?

And, huh, no "taking 10" equivalent in 5e, right?

24. - Top - End - #114

Borgrim considers paper - writing, to be specific - to be borderline sorcery =)

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Borgrim considers paper - writing, to be specific - to be borderline sorcery =)
    Have a look here. Of that story, page 4 in particular is the most relevant.

26. - Top - End - #116

Have a look here. Of that story, page 4 in particular is the most relevant.
    Yes yes ... Kronar is my hero =)

27. - Top - End - #117

And, huh, no "taking 10" equivalent in 5e, right?
    Not until Rogue level 11 and Reliable Talent, I'm afraid.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, and I also wanted to roll Arcana, in case there's something less mundane to figure out from those papers, Arcana - (1d20+5)[11].

EDIT: Also, confusion:
    - There's a mundane journal, with an entry finishing by him giving up on people pestering him all day long.
    - There's an illegible worn-out grimoire.

These are two different books.

The grimoire contains "Silver'; 'Hair of ---', 'Pearls (black)', 'Lotus'." and these are code words for Singing Bridge, is that it?

The phrase: "Using the cipher in conjunction with the last journal entry reveals: 'Singing Bridge'" is the one that confuses me.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-05-23 at 10:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Hopefully I can clear some things up. These are all separate objects:
    • There is a journal, completely ordinary.
    • There is an old grimoire, which is not so much illegible as it is obtuse and incomprehensible (at least at your current level of magical knowledge. Further study may allow you to find out more.) I.E., at the moment, you'll be able to work out one or two 1st-level spells with a little bit of time. You may be able to work out higher level stuff at higher level.
    • There is a fancy, decorated moon/star-chart, which has the 'Silver' etc. notes scrawled in the corner. Your Arcana check is enough to let you know that they refer to ingredients for a ritual of some sort.
    • There is a cipher key on a small bit of paper, which decodes the last journal message, revealing: 'Singing Bridge'. This was found together with a ruby. The ruby (per your Arcana check) is magical.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-23 at 02:44 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess during the 10 minutes necessary to ritual cast, Benedict would catch up. I'm going to wait for Nick before posting more.