Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

Oh ... and on Rosa's question about healing spells and cleric alignment - well, anyone can cast anything, but good clerics can spontaneous cast healing spells, while evil clerics can spontaneous cast harmful spells. Of course, Borgrim isn't a cleric and doesn't know that, precisely, so essentially he's just confused about 'stuff he heard'.

It's still potentially useful, though. In a highly Borgrim kinda way =D

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Oh - I forgot.

Deception: [roll0]

Or Intimidate - if the whole wounded hand and dripping blood routine is unsettling to the acolyte. If so, then it's +3.

Hahah ... who needs actual profiency, when you have blood on the floor =D
    Ah, I'd taken the liberty of rolling advantage on Rosa's behalf below, before checking this thread. Either way, you've succeeded. I should have a post up later tonight before I hit the hay.

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Paraphrased: Rosa 16 vs acolyte 14= success.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-09-12 at 05:57 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

3. - Top - End - #213

Let it be known: I am not leaving this town without those rubies. Naihm will have her earrings, or it will be the end of Borgrim =)

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

What would be the difficulty to overhear Borgrim's whispers? Perception - (1d0+5)[6]

It's unimportant, it's just that if Rosa hears, she'd get a good setup for a later joke : D

EDIT: Sadly, she probably doesn't. Which means Borgrim might be free to finally empty the temple of its riches, and you all miss a stupid joke.

Spoiler: The joke
    Show
    In the parallel universe where Rosa heard Borgrim's whispers, she waited to be out of the priest's office and told him: "Well, I understand that your current rate of success with women leads to great frustration, but you could choose a better place than a church for some alone time."
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-09-19 at 05:01 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #215

You did make it exceedingly hard for yourself to succeed. I'm taking it all as a Freudian slip - deep down, you want Borgrim to do this. Why else would you roll a 1d0. How you manage to get a 6 on a roll of 1d0+5 is another matter entirely.

Anyways, in that other world, Borgrim would look at Rosa with puzzlement, pause for a long time, and finally ask: ... how so?

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

You did make it exceedingly hard for yourself to succeed. I'm taking it all as a Freudian slip - deep down, you want Borgrim to do this. Why else would you roll a 1d0. How you manage to get a 6 on a roll of 1d0+5 is another matter entirely.
    Yes, let's accuse Freud instead of my inability to type.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Yes, let's accuse Freud instead of my inability to type.
    He get's accused of most everything else - so why not? =)

8. - Top - End - #218

Also, I contacted 2 new players, one of which has a character ready - I'm looking for some excuse to have him leap out of the woodwork at you all =D

9. - Top - End - #219

What would be the difficulty to overhear Borgrim's whispers? [roll0]

It's unimportant, it's just that if Rosa hears, she'd get a good setup for a later joke : D

EDIT: Sadly, she probably doesn't. Which means Borgrim might be free to finally empty the temple of its riches, and you all miss a stupid joke.

Spoiler: The joke
    Show
    In the parallel universe where Rosa heard Borgrim's whispers, she waited to be out of the priest's office and told him: "Well, I understand that your current rate of success with women leads to great frustration, but you could choose a better place than a church for some alone time."
    I would have ruled that you didn't need to bother with a check, I think. It's a small, quiet room, and Rosa was standing right next to Borgrim. It would have been hard not to overhear at least some of what Borgrim said.

Also, I contacted 2 new players, one of which has a character ready - I'm looking for some excuse to have him leap out of the woodwork at you all =D
    Players for this game? Or for The Threshold? If it's this game, then please by all means invite them to post here. Then I can see about working them into the story.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-09-19 at 11:53 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220

Players for this game? Or for The Threshold? If it's this game, then please by all means invite them to post here. Then I can see about working them into the story.
    What?! No - for my goblins campaign. Gah! Wrong OOC. I suck =D

11. - Top - End - #221

What?! No - for my goblins campaign. Gah! Wrong OOC. I suck =D
    No worries! I sorta thought it had to be something like that .

By the by, if the three of you know where you'd like to head next (or if you need a bit of guidance) let me know.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's discuss options OOC:

My best guess right now is to go back to Nicodemus to ask him if he can come up with anything given the hair used by the cultists. EDIT: With a bit of luck, the owner of the hair is one of the cultists allies or their next target. Getting to that owner might help us find them.

Actually, I only see this option for now. Any other ideas?

We could also drop by the silversmith on our way, ask for a quote on silver weaponry.
    (On the way, I'd like to stop at that inn where I told that street kid from that ambush to come find Rosa, see if he's there.)

Alternatively, we could have Furtha botch another ritual, summon Zanbar Bone and show Borgrim's moon to Bone, see if he can ride on its light... ... ... sorry.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-09-19 at 02:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223

There's also two of the three ingredients for the compound to use against Zanbar Bone: Black pearls, and lotus flowers. (the third is some type of hair, which Nicodemus is in the process of determining). Quoted here:
    Nicodemus looks where Rosa indicates. He snatches up the chart to study it closely and exclaims: "Ah! perfect, black pearl, lotus flowers, and hair of... uh, um," the old wizards flips the chart over, scanning it rapidly. "Hmm. I'm sure I can figure that out... might take a day or two, though."

Also, I've made a list of NPCs (ones you know the names of, anyway) and added it to the second post of this OOC thread. It's honestly more for my convenience than anything else, but feel free to use it as a reference. I'll get a list of magic items up at some point as well.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-09-19 at 11:00 PM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224

So .. go the the general store, pick up black pearl and lotus flower - then return to Nick?

15. - Top - End - #225

I took the liberty to roll a few checks to try to locate black pearls and lotus flowers in Port Blacksand:
    Intelligence checks to determine where to find lotus flowers in Port Blacksand.

Benedict/Cιsar [roll0]
    Rosa [roll1]
    Borgrim [roll2] (begin unfamiliar with Port Blacksand)
    With this, the two likeliest spots that the three of you can think of are Pipa's Flowers on Clock Street (near where you first entered the city) and one of the public gardens in the Garden District. Pearls, and sometimes black pearls, are often sold by vendors along Lobster Wharf, on the north side of the river.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226

Borgrim doesn't do his own thinking - that would just be stupid. He finds someone clever looking, and shakes them until they tell him what the smart thing to do would be.

17. - Top - End - #227

I'm afraid I won't get a post up tonight; I'll have one up tomorrow morning.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228

Apologies, I'll have a post up tomorrow.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Apologies, I'll have a post up tomorrow.
    No worries. All the players were a bit slower on this last round of posts.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Just in case Nicodemus may be in some sort of trance or whatever else that's like sleep but with magic in it: Arcana - (1d20+5)[18].

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Bit busy at this moment, will post longer both OOC and IC tomorrow.
    I think we need to summarize all the dangling threads again before going on.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

I am very busy as well and I think it shows. For that, I apologise.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-10-02 at 04:25 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

23. - Top - End - #233

I have plenty of time - so for all our bashing needs, and any problems that can be solved by the application of physical force, or even those situations that require jumping, climbing or intimidating random passers by ... all those we have covered. Stealing valuables that aren't nailed down. That one too.

24. - Top - End - #234

To summarize things a few things:

Stuff directly involved with Zanbar Bone:
    • Ingredients for compound to keep Zanbar Bone dead for good (Lotus, Hag's hair, black pearl)
    • Silver arrow/bolt/tipped stake, etc. (to deal the death blow) and silvered weapons to overcome resistance

Other stuff, which may or may not be related to Zanbar Bone:
    • Furtha the Priest, was providing unknown buyers with bound spirits for an unknown use; interrupted by Bone. Has a date set up with Borgrim to 'acquire' a pair of rubies from the Temple of At'ar.
    • Crow cult, conducted a ritual to contact/located/something a Night Hag. Also rummaged around in Nicodemus' old house.
    • Night Hag, possibly in the city, motives unknown.
    • Sea Hags, local to Port Blacksand sewers, mentioned by Nicodemus to potentially have knowledge of the Night Hag.
    • Sergeant DeAnna Longtooth, Cιsar's contact, is looking into watch reports of the 'monstrous crow-beast' attacking gang members at night. Might be connected to the crow cultists.
    • There's a festival on the spring equinox in three days' time, also celebrating At'ar, Goddess of Sun and Shadow.

I was double checking a bit of the IC thread and noticed a few consumable magic items that may have been forgotten about. I'll try to get a table up in the second post of this thread tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh, and no worries on folk being busy .
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-10-03 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Forgot about Sergeant DeAnna, oops.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235

I'm busy with my IRL campaign, along with a few other things, so I won't have a post until Sunday evening (hopefully).
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236

[*]Crow cult, conducted a ritual to contact/located/something a Night Hag. Also rummaged around in Nicodemus' old house.
    They were trying to ward the temple against her. As of right now, that's my new, utter conviction.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm busy with my IRL campaign, along with a few other things, so I won't have a post until Sunday evening (hopefully).
    Left me time to post :D

They were trying to ward the temple against her. As of right now, that's my new, utter conviction.
    Yeah, or they were warding her against the temple. Or sending a love letter to her? Or maybe images of funny cute cat paintings?

28. - Top - End - #238

Yeah, or they were warding her against the temple. Or sending a love letter to her? Or maybe images of funny cute cat paintings?
    Nopes. Definitely warding the temple against her. She's the main villain, she's going to do something terrible at the festival, and it'll happen in the church.

They might not be 'good guys' - cause that's us - but they likely are her enemies in some way.

(these theories of mine are almost always wrong, btw)

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

wink Re: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

And ir turns out Zanbar Bone is not Evil, just misunderstood.

In the end, he'll marry Furtha and they'll go on adopting lots of Blacksand orphans.

30. - Top - End - #240

I should have a post up tomorrow. I've been under the weather the last couple of days, but I'm on the mend now.
    Show