New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Shower thought: Being a Lich must feel like playing a videogame

The resurrective immortality of a lich is basically respawning like in Dark Souls

Liches have been playing the game so long (i.e. lived) that the masses of people (NPCs) all seem like nothing more than empty shells repeating the same lines of dialogue over and over with the same problems, demanding the same fetch quests, and useful for the lich as nothing more than a means to an end. The only time they take real interest is when they see other players (i.e. the PCs).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Shower thought: Being a Lich must feel like playing a videogame

Quote Originally Posted by supergoji18 View Post
    The resurrective immortality of a lich is basically respawning like in Dark Souls

Liches have been playing the game so long (i.e. lived) that the masses of people (NPCs) all seem like nothing more than empty shells repeating the same lines of dialogue over and over with the same problems, demanding the same fetch quests, and useful for the lich as nothing more than a means to an end. The only time they take real interest is when they see other players (i.e. the PCs).
    That's an interesting video game idea.

You can respawn as many times as you want. But your character is literally erased if he loses his Phylactery

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't think it is quite the same, they still take setbacks permanently instead of retrying the same events. I rather like the idea of Lich's basically being PCs, maybe even becoming meta-aware over time.

Deaddeadpool would be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I don't think it is quite the same, they still take setbacks permanently instead of retrying the same events. I rather like the idea of Lich's basically being PCs, maybe even becoming meta-aware over time.

Deaddeadpool would be cool.
    Undeadpool sounds better.
    Homebrew Stuff:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by supergoji18 View Post
    Liches have been playing the game so long (i.e. lived) that the masses of people (NPCs) all seem like nothing more than empty shells repeating the same lines of dialogue over and over with the same problems, demanding the same fetch quests, and useful for the lich as nothing more than a means to an end.
    Liches saw other people that way when they were still alive too. You've got to be an evil sociopath to become a lich in the first place.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nice guy =/= Good
    Jerk =/= Evil

I made a vampire template for 3.5e. PEACH?

7. - Top - End - #7

What do you think I've been training for my entire life? Chasing ghosts, slamming 'shrooms, outrunning Clarence "Razor" Callahan, and studying the gospel according to mega-lich Sid Meier - does this sound like fun to you? This is all in preparation for my ascent to digital godhood! Bow before my eternal might!

*ahem* k, maybe a little fun...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

The game Undertale kind of approaches this point, though it's more of a deconstruction of video game tropes as opposed to fantasy ones. Still an interesting source for villain motivation, if that's the kind of tone you want to go for.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scripten View Post
    The game Undertale kind of approaches this point, though it's more of a deconstruction of video game tropes as opposed to fantasy ones. Still an interesting source for villain motivation, if that's the kind of tone you want to go for.
    Spoiler: Undertale spoilers, seriously play the game first!
    Show
    Seeing Flowey as a kind of "flower lich" makes perfect sense to me, even if you removed the constant fourth wall breaks.

Most liches are still well within their diabolical plans and have not grown weary by being stopped by adventurers and heroes so often. It would be pretty new to encounter a lich that does just enact an evil plan so someone acknowledges their existence, so that someone stops them, entertains them.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    Liches saw other people that way when they were still alive too. You've got to be an evil sociopath to become a lich in the first place.
    Hey!

I resemble that remark!

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    That's an interesting video game idea.

You can respawn as many times as you want. But your character is literally erased if he loses his Phylactery

Planescape: Torment...?

Sure, there was no phylactery, but the number of places in the game where you could actually die were both extremely limited and actually required some effort.

(That one trap room that had no exit and if you went into, you basically had to reload an earlier save notwithstanding.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

liches still lose all their equipment after destruction, and they have to recover it from scratch. if lichdom is like a videogame, it's one of those long term browser games where rebuilding after a major defeat still takes lot of time and effort and it's likely you'll never get as high ranked as you would have otherwise.

And, as others pointed out, "other people are merely means to an end" doesn't necessarily link to videogames. Many evil people think so in real life, and many good people will try to make videogame npcs happy.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Not to mention that being a Lich means losing most of your senses. You've got sight and hearing, but taste, touch, and smell are all gone because you're undead. There's no more appeal in the physical world; your only joy comes from seeing the results of your actions.

Just like when you're playing a video game.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Not to mention that being a Lich means losing most of your senses. You've got sight and hearing, but taste, touch, and smell are all gone because you're undead. There's no more appeal in the physical world; your only joy comes from seeing the results of your actions.

Just like when you're playing a video game.
    REALLY depends on what type of Lich.

Spirit-Bound Liches, for example, can do everything a living being can do (especially eat chocolate) - typically BETTER1 - except excrete and procreate. (If you were some sort of strange Lich that DIDN'T want to be a skeleton, you could probably even recreationally procreate if you wanted, you pervert.)

1But as the power comes from you essentially haunting (like haunted house) your own corpse, there are always some individual perculiarities. I never had much of a sense of smell in life, so I don't have one in death. I also can't whistle, despite the sound now being essentially being created magically and there is theorhetically no mechanic reason why I shouldn't be able to produce those sounds; but I couldn't so my subconscious informs me I still can't.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-05-07 at 07:00 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

The Overlord anime explores the idea, but from a slightly different perspective - we rarely notice how much of a sociopath our usual game character can be. By making the protagonist a lich, naturally devoid of most human emotion, it shows what happens when one starts treating living humans as he would NPCs.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

So basically like TFS Frieza then?
    (I'd post a link to a clip, but I apparently can't do that yet since this is a new account.)