New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Empire!6: Strange Guests in Ragna's Hall

By some miracle, the Fffolkkk delegation makes their way intact across the hostile terrain between themselves and Thunderport, the home of the Thunderpeople whom the TruthSeers had advised them of.

Thunderport is a cursed and eerie place. Old crumbling monuments to the lost time before the Red Sky intermix with new monuments composed of the huge and hideous bones of greater blightspawn. These monuments loom in the shadows of unwholesome swirling mists. The faint sound of drums in the distance is nearly constant.

The native Thunderpeople themselves are easily mistaken for blightspawn at even a middle distance, due to their skulking movements, and grizzly costumes ornamented with trophies taken from evil things.

The great halls in which the Thunderpeople dwell are hidden beneath the surface. They are not wholly dissimilar from the Fffolkkk's own generationally carved caves, but lacking in the depth or splendor.

Over a 'feast' primarily composed of a mealworm and mushroom gruel, served with bitter rootwine, the Highchief of this cursed land at last present himself to the delegation. He is a large lean human with an unsettling gaze, and a right hand that appears to have been mutated by a terrible injury.

"Welcome strangers. I am Ragna" he says, "You may count on the safety of my hospitality. What news do you bring?"
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2020-09-24 at 09:59 AM.
    ...with a vengeance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Empire!6: Strange Guests in Ragna's Hall

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHat View Post
    BOver a 'feast' primarily composed of a mealworm and mushroom gruel, served with bitter rootwine, the Highchief of this cursed land at last present himself to the delegation. He is a large lean human with an unsettling gaze, and a right hand that appears to have been mutated by a terrible injury.

"Welcome strangers. I am Ragna" he says, "You may count on the safety of my hospitality. What news do you bring?"
    Ishshshu took a moment to take in this... human. Yes, that is what this particular band of Shaylles were called. Somewhat shorter and much leaner than Ishhhshu, he struggled for a moment to memorize the details of the man. When the Fffolkkk delegation first met with the Thunderpeople, their armor and unique trinkets made them easy to distinguish one from another. It was quite the shock when their guides removed their armor for the night's rest. Still, it was comforting to know that much of their appearance was unique. The trophies they wore distinguished them in a manner similar to the fffolkkk's shell pattern.

"Our thanks, Ragna, leader of the Thunderpeople. I am the Wayfinder for Truth, Ishshshu." He pronounced it with three distinct hissing 'sh' sounds. "My people, the fffolkkk, have thought the Swift Channel impassable. Trapped between the Swift Channel and the impassable Halls of Dawn, we have found ourselves alone for all of living memory. Now, the Truthseers have come to us, telling us of the wider world. My leader has sent this small delegation to seek out the folk that fill the world."

With a flippered hand, he indicated the 5 other turtle-people with him. Four of them were had towering, knobby, shells and flat, clawed feet and hands. Their skin and shells were mottled in various shades of brown and gray. The remaining turtle-folk looked more like Ishshshu. The shell was leaner and streamlined, almost shield like. The two of them were more blue and green than brown and gray. Their limbs were leaner, and ended in webbed hands. They wore webbed belts and harnesses with many pockets and pouches, and wide-brimmed staw hats. Covering the belts, harnesses, and hatband were numerous carved soapstones.

"Part of our delegation stopped with the people directly across the Swift Channel. But I desired to press on and meet the Thunderfolk." He paused for a moment, and considered his words. "For the stories of your people facing Blightspawn with great prowess was much gossiped upon."

3. - Top - End - #3

Shebitku The Horsemen rode down the Naehrian coast to the land of the thunder people. Unlike the journey to the lands of the Ashir, Shebitku marveled at the twisted forests, ancient trees, and brisk shrubland of the coast. Once he arrived at the uncivilized lands of the thunder people, the Ashir riders closed in on the elf, packed abnormally tightly out of a sense of trepidation. News of the Jewel's demise made many of the riders assigned to Shebitku paranoid.

Once they reached the caves of the thunder people Shebitku was repulsed by the squalor these people saw fit to call a home. Only slightly more repulsive was the mealworm mix the high chief offered.

"The North has not yet the ravages of the blightspawn, though the loose tribes are being absorbed by petty elf and orc monarchs."
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Lt-Murgen View Post
    "Part of our delegation stopped with the people directly across the Swift Channel. But I desired to press on and meet the Thunderfolk." He paused for a moment, and considered his words. "For the stories of your people facing Blightspawn with great prowess was much gossiped upon."
    Ragna smiled bleakly, "Diplomatically said, Great Wayfinder. Let us speak frankly. I must warn you now that the lands beyond here are rife with conflict. Our nearest neighbors have dreams of dominion over all within their reach, and war brews between many tribes, each of whom claim to speak for the will of the sun.

For our part, we only seek to be known as Worthy. We hunger only to slay blgihtspawn, but to do this, we will need more territory from which to draft mighty hunters. So long as you do not oppose the territory claims we shall make in the coming seasons, you may yet count us as friends.

I would exchange hostages with you, Wayfinder for Truth, Ishshshu. If you bring one who you would mourn to live here among us, so we might destroy their body and torture their spirit if you betray us, I shall send you my own daughter, so you may do the same. In this way we may be friends, and have a voice in each other's courts through those hostages. This is the way of our people, told to us by our Shamans to be natural law.

If you will be our friends under these terms, we shall send you, along with our hostage, many gifts. We shall teach you how to draw the sound of your words upon clay tablets. Indeed, we shall teach you how to fashion many fine things from clay, such as bowls and vases. Should you offer more loyalty still, and agree to marshal under our Many Tribes banner, we shall even give you the secret of our war-drums, and other arts of war as we procure them.

What say you to that, Wayfinder for Truth, Ishshshu?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    Once they reached the caves of the thunder people Shebitku was repulsed by the squalor these people saw fit to call a home. Only slightly more repulsive was the mealworm mix the high chief offered.

"The North has not yet the ravages of the blightspawn, though the loose tribes are being absorbed by petty elf and orc monarchs."
    "You have traveled far, and I regret that I have little to reward you for such a mighty journey but spoils to return with. We shall provide your party with a bounty of treasure, such that your kinsmen in the North may know the worthiness of you souls, and have no fear you shall add to the legions of the hungry dead.

But what matters have you come to discuss? Do you wish us to come and hunt on behalf these loose tribes? Perhaps they ought consolidate under a might banner such as our own?"
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2020-09-27 at 08:57 PM.
    ...with a vengeance!

5. - Top - End - #5

Chimera

What say you to that, Wayfinder for Truth, Ishshshu?"
    There was a pause for a time. Ishshshu considered the words, and the limited meaning he understood behind them. Eventually, he spoke again.
    “Your people seek to be known as worthy. You value that most highly. The fffolkkk seek to be known as trusted. We value that most highly. To break our word is to deny our very selves.” He seemed pleased he made that connection, bobbing his head slightly. “Those who break their word are cast out in our lands- no food, no shelter, no life-giving water is given to them. It is not so different than your ways. If an exchange of folk is required to build trust, it is agreed to.”

“But the fffolkkk do not have the same concept of family as the Thunderfolk. We value the ones we gift ourselves to, the ones whose Marks we carry in return.” He indicated the numerous small cameos affixed to his hat, harness, and belt. “Thressss is young, but she carries the Marks of 5 of the 6 Wayfinders, and of our leader. She is the organizer and trainer of our Maze-runners, and a skilled hunter. Her loss would strike a great many fffolkkk. She will make worthy proof of the fffolkkk trustworthiness.”

He looked about the table at his companions. They nodded in agreement. “Your daughter will be welcome in our lands. She will carry my Mark as a sign of my trust. And we will gift her unique Mark of her own, so her truth and trust can be carried by the fffolkkk.”

“We would offer our skills as builders, should you need them. And we thank you for your gifts of sound drawings and bowl making. Your people shall be welcome travelers through our land, and ours through yours. This, in truth, we also seek. For the exchange of goods is how the fffolkkk survive. We seek to bring our fair trading ways to all folk, everywhere.”

Again he paused for a moment, looking at his companions. They seemed to rumble and murmur at the lower ranges of Ragna’s hearing. “Your concept of ownership and control is difficult for us. But we do not seek control over others. So we shall honor your claims to lands to the evening side of the Swift Channel. The lands between the Gates of Dawn and the Swift Channel we wish to explore for ourselves.” He watched for the Chief's reaction to that.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Lt-Murgen View Post
    He watched for the Chief's reaction to that.
    Ragna's smile turned to something more sincere, his posture a little more relaxed.

"I would not deny you your own hunting grounds Wayfinder. This is all pleasing to me. So be it, our grounds shall be open to each other's people hence forth.

In times of strife, you may trust we shall move to shoulder half your burdens, as I trust you may someday move to shoulder our own. You shall be well provisioned for your journey home, and my finest guards shall shelter you through the lands between us, some of which are as we speak are being contested by spear and blood."
    ...with a vengeance!

7. - Top - End - #7

Chimera

In times of strife, you may trust we shall move to shoulder half your burdens, as I trust you may someday move to shoulder our own. You shall be well provisioned for your journey home, and my finest guards shall shelter you through the lands between us, some of which are as we speak are being contested by spear and blood."
    "Perhaps, one day, we shall add our hammers and spears to your armor and shields. But I cannot speak honestly or fairly on that. The Fffolkkk have a Wayfnder of Incivility within the Draw who must decide such matters. I will introduce your... daughter... to the Wayfinder." He paused for a bit. "though surely she is too young for such discussions yet."

Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    e Shebitku was repulsed by the squalor these people saw fit to call a home. Only slightly more repulsive was the mealworm mix the high chief offered.

"You have traveled far, and I regret that I have little to reward you for such a mighty journey but spoils to return with. We shall provide your party with a bounty of treasure, such that your kinsmen in the North may know the worthiness of you souls, and have no fear you shall add to the legions of the hungry dead.

But what matters have you come to discuss? Do you wish us to come and hunt on behalf these loose tribes? Perhaps they ought consolidate under a might banner such as our own?"
    Ishshshu watched these new Shaylles arrive and speak with the Chief. They were different than the other ones, sort of. Maybe a bit taller, and thinner, maybe? He suspected they, too, wore some kind of external shell... armor.. he corrected himself mentally. But they lacked the distinguishing patterns the blightspawn trophies gave to the Thunderfolk. "How in the wide skies do they tell each other apart?" He quietly grumbled to his fellow fffolkkk in their low, bass rumbling, native tongue.
    Last edited by Lt-Murgen; 2020-09-30 at 09:24 AM.