New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Summer Camp at Goldenrod

As the web hits, Tru wobbles a bit, but stays on his feet. It looks like his slacking off earlier has paid off, giving him just enough to keep going, if only for just one more round. The shock from the attack seems to have frozen him in place, but still within range for launching an attack.

Ok Tru, this is it. Let's give this last strike everything we have left!

Constance orders the battered Slakoth to fire one more barrage of stones at his foe. Using her training from her time at school, Constance does everything in her power to make sure the attack strikes true.

Spoiler
    Show

Joltik is Tagged
    Constance issues Focused Orders +1 Hit, +2 Skills
    Tru is Truant. Tru loses his shift action and gains a tick of HP
    Constance spends 2 Momentum to gain an 11 on her next D20
    Tru has 1 momentum proving +1 Attack, +1 Evasion vs the Joltik
    Tru uses Rock Tomb {11(D20 substitution)+ 2(Focused Training) +2(Focused Orders) +1(Remaining Momentum) -5(Terrain)} [11] vs AC3+Evasion
    Damage: (2d6+28)[39]
    Tru gains 1 Momentum
    Tru gains 1 Momentum at end of round.
    Tru has 3 momentum proving +2 Attack, +2 Evasion vs the Joltik

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Tru's attack indeed strikes the Joltik through the thick grass and it's the final straw. After the attack it lays where is stood, crushed under the weight of the stones. Justin recalls him quickly before the judge can otherwise render a decision. He winces as he does so and you can see him talking quietly to his pokeball. Shortly after, Constance is declared the winner and will advance to the next battle to be held tomorrow.

By now, the evening is coming on quickly as the sun sets over National Park. The park entrance lies to the west where the sun begins to sink behind the woods. Counselors begin rounding up their campers to help clean up the mess from the day's events.

"Leave the park cleaner than when you found it!" Mia tells campers as they pass her by.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Constance quickly returns Tru to his Pokeball, knowing that he would need so immediate care. He may have been the victor but he took a beating in getting there.

You did great buddy, but you need rest now. Tonight you will get some extra treats for all of your hard work. And tomorrow you get to show everyone how special you are.

She makes her way over to Justin, concern on her face after the last hit on the Joltik.
    That was an incredible match. I thought I was done for early but Tru managed to hang in there. How is your Joltik, is he alright?

---

Looking at the sun, Constance realizes it is quite late and that her battle must have been one of the last. She scans the crowd to see if she can find her cabinmates and see how their matches went.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

Ajax waves to Constance from her side of the audience fence, where she was taking pictures of the grassy hiding spots and giving Margaret a deadpan blow-by-blow of the match.

"Mine was the same way, using cover and waiting for an opening," Ajax says when the group meets up. "Went a lot faster though."

As the conversation continues, Ajax moves on to picking up the litter along the campground's paths. She darts around with the trash bags while Anorith stabs discarded papers with his claws.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Margret shook the boy's hand. We'll have to have a rematch soon then, she said.

----

Congratulations! she said, her trash bag half full of chip bags. Why did people not take care of their own mess? Tru is really making it work, isn't he? Bors lasted all of three seconds, but I don't think that was really his fault. Nothing I'm not used to though. Honestly I was surprised I made it through the first battle.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2020-01-15 at 05:49 PM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the wonderful avatar.

Aatos My medieval pokemon setting.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

Johto: Guardians of Legends as Julius Varro

World at War (PTA) as Francis May

GM of Exploring Aatos a Medieval PTA game.

6. - Top - End - #306

RedKnightGirl

Justin replies to Constance by shrugging, "He's hurt, but that's what happens. Nothing he won't recover from after a trip to the Pokemon Center. Speaking of, what as Bruce talking to you all about? I heard something about a really sick pokemon and not wanting to spread something? There's not a Pokerus going around is there?"

He continues to hang around your group as you clean, "Hey I'm going to try and see a sunset tonight, if any of you wanna come. They say you can see the Olivine lighthouse from the right vantage points. Sometime after dinner I guess. And the Pokemon Center. I'm pretty sure it's allowed, anyways. Just, ya know, only if you want to."

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm in," says Ajax. She ties off a garbage bag while Iggy flaps open the next one from the roll that the counselors gave her.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

I would enjoy that. I can bring along some drinks as well. I've been meaning to whip up a smoothie for a while now.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Constance was a bit wary to give all of the details on their encounter, not the least because she didn't know them. She did not want to start a full on panic.
    We saw some Drifloon trying to carry off a baby Skiddo. We managed to save it but it was still very sick. We brought it back to camp so it could be looked after. Bruce and the others seem to have it well in hand now so hopefully there is nothing to worry about.

-------
    Later, during the cleanup on the way back to the cabins.

Yeah watching the sunset could be nice. A simple way to end a long stressful day of battling.

10. - Top - End - #310

RedKnightGirl

Justin's eyes light up as Margaret mentions making smoothies. "Oh wow, can you really? That would be amazing! I'll see you in a little bit!" He runs off back towards the camp once more, meeting up with the rest of the Ledian group. The crowd campers eventually lead you all the same direction. Meal time at the mess hall is flush with excitement from the day's battles, but by now most of the trainers have been eliminated leaving only four trainers left. The battles are scheduled for late in the afternoon, after whatever else is planned for the day.

After dinner, you are able to pick up your pokemon once more from the Pokemon Center, healed up and ready to go, if a bit fatigued from the battles today. The sun casts orange rays through the trees around your cabin as you await the coming nightfall. It's already shaping up to be a tranquil evening. When the time comes, there is a knock on the door to your cabin and Justin eagerly waits on the other side. "Hi all! You all ready to go?"

Spoiler
    Show
    You can end the day whenever you wish at this point! If you're ready I can wrap up with a sunset scene or ya'll can go along with it for a bit. I'll award XP to everyone, win or lose at that time as well.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

Making smoothies was a bit of a mess, but Margret managed it ok. She was trying to wean herself off of relying on Gawain for every household task, so she did it 'au natural' as they said in Kalos. So there were maybe a few specks of berry juice that she's missed while cleaning, but nothing horrible she was sure, at least that's what she told herself.

She popped the sealed thermoses down and settled into a blanket, pulling it up around her neck. So Justin, what's your story? Amateur stargazer seeking training to adventure in the wilderness where light pollution isn't as high, or am I just reading into this little outing too much?. She smirked. Or at least, tried to smirk. She wasn't sure what a smirk was supposed to be like, Gawain was too low to always capture facial expressions accurately. But she'd like to think that she was smirking.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Ajax takes a thermos as soon as Margaret sets it down, pours some strawberry slush into the cap, and takes a seat on the blanket. Iggy leans in to look at the smoothie, but turns away with a, 'pluh,' sound.

"Too sweet?" Ajax drains the cap in one go and sloshes it around in her mouth before swallowing. "Your loss."

Ajax stares up at the stars while everyone gets settled in, at which point she gets out her camera again and gets a picture of the whole group.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-02-24 at 04:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Constance happily takes a smoothie, and thanks Margret for making them. Today had been a hard day. Tru had been put to the test, but due to lack of training came a hair away from losing. Constance needed to make herself better, so that her partners would not be put at risk from her inexperience.

Pushing her perceived failings aside, Constance kept an eye out for their owl friend as they watched the sky. Her mind began to wander to the secrets of the camp, and how much the councilors were actually going to tell them.
    Taking a note from Ajax, Constance absently poured some out for Tru. He had earned that and much much more today.

As the sun began to go down, Constance studied the skies once more. Maybe there will be a shooting star to wish on? Living in the city I never had a good look up at the stars like this. And I think with the way this camp is going, we could all use some luck

Spoiler
    Show

General Perception roll since it has been a few hours since something completely weird has happened to the campers (4d6)[15]
    Joking perception roll for a shooting start, because why not. (4d6)[10]

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

What are they like? Margret said, The stars? Gawain can see the moon, but stars are a bit beyond him.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

"Wishes?" Ajax looks up at the stars at Constance's suggestion. "You'd make a lot of 'em during a meteor shower..."

Even while she was thinking of Margaret's situation earlier, it hadn't occurred to her that she would never have seen the stars. It kind of crosses the line between just different and actually really sad.

"The stars are, uh... little white specks... they kind of twinkle incandescently, and cast an aura around them like the sun does, which makes sense since they're basically the same thing..."

Wow, she really isn't good at this. Come on, Ajax, you've spent your whole life going outside looking at stars. Is that really the best you can come up with?

"...okay, imagine the world is surrounded with walls and a ceiling with the sky and the horizon drawn on. During the day, those walls are lit up by the sun, and you can't see anything beyond them. But even when the sun is gone, there is still a universe of daylight outside of those walls, and you can see a glimpse of it through little pinholes in the structure. That's what the stars are like."

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

I used to hate being blind, Margret said. She wasn't sure why. Not only was a it a total 180 from the previous conversation, but she usually avoided talking about it unless she was feeling particularly sarcastic.

Like, I used to really hate it. But then I realized that without being blind I'd never have known what it was like to feel wind in my wings or feel fire blasting out from your mouth. . She pulled Gawain closer to her, and the pup sat his chin on her stomach as she scratched his hind legs.

I know that I'm not as good at battling as the two of you are. And truth be told, I'm pretty sure that I'm only here because it looked good in the papers. My record is ... horrible. I almost failed out of our local trainer school because I kept forfeiting matches. I was so scared of Gawain getting hurt that I didn't let him enjoy the battle. But I'm hoping that this camp will help me stop holding back, because he deserves better.

So if there is a shooting star, let me know. Because I know what my wish will be.

She wiped a tear from her eyes. Just one. It wouldn't do to get too emotional after all. Gawain blew a little jet of fire past her face and she shoved him away laughing. It was a moment she'd never have imagined, but she felt safe with these girls. Safer than she'd felt in a long time, no matter how much her parents made sure her life was free from danger.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Constance listens as Margret lets all her emotions out. It is all she can do to keep hers in - Margret isn't the only one who feels like they do not belong here. Constance has no idea where her invitation came from. Did her mother make a deal for it in order to get rid of Constance so she would stop embarrassing the family? Was it meant for someone else who missed out because she was here?

In the end, Constance realized it didn't matter. Constance moved gently to wipe away a tear on Margret's face.

I don't think battling skill is why we are here. There were far more accomplished battlers back home. Heck even looking at the tournament there is an obvious skill gap between the Joeys and the Henrys. I think we are here for something else, something more.
    I am not sure exactly why I got an invitation either. I didn't ask for one and I am sure there was no one out there frantically searching for me, desperate to have Constance at their camp. In the end, I am not sure it even matters what the Camp's plans are or why any of us got to come. I think it is more important what we do with our time here. I think you are far too hard on yourself, and I bet Gawain agrees. You can be more in sync with your partners than I could ever dream of being, and while in the past it seemed like a liability, with time I bet you will find it to be your biggest strength.

Realizing that the overall tone had gotten fairly serious and that they still had company from outside the cabin, Constance let out a forced laugh.

Besides, if you are such a bad trainer who only got in on a special exemption, what does that say about the opponent you beat? Maybe if we have arts and crafts we can whip up some "I lost to the Scyther Girls and all I got was this lousy shirt" shirts!

18. - Top - End - #318

RedKnightGirl

The spot you find turns out to be absolutely perfect, almost like it was made for the purpose of viewing. Making your way through trees in the oncoming chill of night, you find a break in the treeline that reveals a flat, red rock that overlooks the distant Olivine City and the surrounding countryside. Somewhere beyond the watery horizon lie the Whirl Islands, and the setting sun creates an orange reflection of itself on the ocean. More forests stretch out below you before turning into grassy plains. As the light begins to fade, a bright light from the pokemon powdered lighthouse flares to life.

Justin happily takes a sip from his smoothie as he replies to Margaret. "You're not too far off really. You don't get to be in the woods much in Saffron. This place though? It's just the best. It's like I can see the places I can travel to as a trainer, you know? The whole world opens up to you." He listens to Margaret's confessions in silence, a stark contrast to his usual excitable self.

"I still don't really know how they picked us all out, and if it's because they felt sorry for you or that it would look good on the news, then the joke's on them! Don't worry, you'll be strutting out of here with a Plain Badge just like you should. I've done a lot of reading on the topic! It's not just about your record! Some of these strong trainers have had their lives handed to them and they don't have a clue about the fundamentals!" He stops to take a breath. "Sorry if I get a little carried away, there."

"Anyways, shooting stars. They aren't super rare, I find. You just got to be willing to look long enough, and be very alert. The moment comes and goes in a flash. Kinda poetic now that I think about it."

Spoiler
    Show
    I mentioned this on the Discord during the break, I did want to award your pokemon 30XP win or lose and you also get a trainer milestone (AKA a level)! The next day begins a new phase in the camp experience!

Spoiler: Constance
    Show
    After some looking around you do see the Hoothoot once more sitting in a tree behind you. It's not really trying to hide and it's watching you closely. It seems quite happy for some reason.
    Last edited by CateranEnforcer; 2020-02-24 at 09:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

Well thank you both, Margret said, closing her eyes for a second. She cut off her connection to Gawain for a second. There was peace in darkness sometimes, and she settled into a companionable silence, ready to let the conversation wind away from her.

She'd done enough sharing for one day.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Constance looked up at the stars, peering deep into the darkness and wondered what was in store for them next. Today had been a whirlwind of emotions and tomorrow would be much of the same. As difficult as today had been, Constance for once found herself eager for the trials of the next day. Win or lose, that would be it. There was no extra disappointment that would great a failure, and no brushing off the thrill of an unlikely victory.

Once everyone is ready, Constance makes her way back to the cabin, ready for rest after the long day.

21. - Top - End - #321

RedKnightGirl

The night rolls in properly and Justin is the last one to turn away from the view. His vigilance is rewarded as he calls out "Shooting star! There it is!" For a brief three or four seconds there is a faint light in the sky. Over it's short lifespan its grows from a just visible spec to the brightest star in the sky and it fades away once more into the sky. "Well, you can't top that as a good time to head back. That was awesome!"

---

You awaken the next day to the sound of a bugle playing in the distance once more. The sun has barely begun to peek over the horizon and the tiredness of the night before calls you back to bed. The sharp notes remind you however that today begins a new set of lessons. As you come to, you notice:

Spoiler: Constance
    Show
    There is an open pokeball sitting on the floor next to you bed. A quick check reveals that it is the ball belonging to Hitchcock. The window is open next to your bed.

Spoiler: Margaret
    Show
    Gawain is missing! Your faithful companion must have wandered away sometime in the night. That's not like him is it?

Spoiler: Ajax
    Show
    A pokeball is missing! The one that contained the strange pokemon! It's not were you left it, but your room looks undisturbed except for a slightly ajar door.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Ajax takes her shower before bed drops down from her top bunk with the sunrise. "Up and at 'em, Iggy," she says, prodding the jigglypuff with her foot. "Trainin' the whole team together this morning."

Toward that end, she pulls all of the balls she has accrued from her pouch, at which point our inciting predicament becomes apparent.

"Wait. Where is..."

She checks the floor around and under the bunk bed. Her fingers rapidly tap her thigh unconsciously. "...did I hide it and forget...?" She quickly tries the drawer in the side table and under her and Iggy's pillows. No dice. It's at this point she notices the door.

"Oh no. No no nononono..."

She tries to get a hold of herself. The ball itself is missing, so the mystery goo hasn't broken out, necessarily. But then, who or what might have taken it? How would they have known to single it out?

Still in the loose shorts and camp-branded t-shirt she slept in, Ajax rushes out the door to investigate and finds her cabinmates having their own obviously-related problems. She searches the perimeter of the cabin for tracks or other clues.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-03-04 at 03:58 AM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Margret breathed in for a long few seconds, attempting to shove down the uneasiness that was rising inside of her. She sat up and fumbled around. Where had she put Bors' pokeball? She'd thought it was right near her bed, but had she left it in the living area? She began to realize that, since arriving here away from the rigid structure of her home, she'd begun to get lax in her routines. Gawain wasn't a replacement for her eyes and where on earth was she.

She stood and started walking towards what she though was the door but fire sprouted up her toe as she ran into something and ended up on the floor. Was it a chair? No, more likely her roommate's nightstand. She reached to her face and, thankfully she wasn't bleeding.

Trembling, Margret stood, shuffling her way forwards, arms held in front of her to make sure she didn't run into anything and feet moving no more than an inch at the time and muking hell that toe hurt and was that the door? No it was just a slat in the bunk bed.

Finally she found the wall and followed it to the door to the living area. It was a new room, and one she'd spent a lot less time in. She was pretty sure she'd left Bors' ball in her bag which was probably next to the shoe rack. She couldn't even remember where that would be how could she be so CARELESS usually she would have memorized the layout by now.

Taking another breath, she finally decided to speak up, hoping someone was close enough to hear her. Hey, anyone awake?, She asked softly. I could use some help. Could someone release Bors? He's in my bag and shouldn't scream. Bors is pretty mellow for a Whismur.. A part of her hoped nobody would respond. This wasn't comfortable at all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the bad grammar here, but I wanted to simulate a sense of panic.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2020-03-04 at 09:02 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Ajax immediately reacts to the sound of banging around, expecting virus-related shenanigans.

"Margaret! You okay?"

She doesn't hesitate. After some quick back-and-forth figuring out where she keeps Bors' ball, Ajax releases the backup shoutbunny and quickly moves on.

"We have a problem. The ball's gone. The bad one."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-03-06 at 03:15 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Constance is awoken from the noises in the cabin. The events of the previous day had drained her mentally and physically and she had been dead to the world. Rubbing her eyes, Constance tries to get her bearings and assess the situation.
    Scanning the room for any clues as to what may have happened, Constance tries to calm herself and think. This was all too much of a coincidence.

After getting the details from Margret and Ajax, Constance mentions that Hitchcock is missing as well.

That is some weird, weird stuff. Marget, are you ok? I know how close you are to Gawain. I imagine he is ok; whoever did this was not looking to hurt us, or we wouldn't be here.

Constance sighs as she thinks over what they know, absently scratching Tru's ears.

The night after we let the adults know what we found, all of it goes missing? Suspicious as hell. Although I don't think we told them about Hitchcock, I intentionally held that back. Ajax, is your camera still here? You had snapped some photos of the strange stuff, right? And I wonder why Gawain is missing too? That seems odd, unless he saw something he wasn't supposed to.
    Maybe the councilors are in on it, maybe not. But something is going on and we are short on answers, and people we can trust.

I am going to do a quick look around outside, see if there are any signs about exactly what went down here.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception inside (4d6)[15]
    Perception Outside(4d6)[15]
    Constance is particularly interested in seeing if her Owl friend was around. It he wasn't in on it, then Constance owed it to him to let the wild pokemon know about Hitchcock's disappearance.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

As soon as Bors was released, Margret immediately channeled him and breathed a sigh of relief when the room came into grayscale blurry focus. Whismur didn't have great eyes, but it was better than nothing.

I'm ... well I'm hoping Gawain just wandered off. But if someone took him, then I don't even know what I'll do.. Using Bor's sight, Margret went to her bag and pulled out her Lilpup whistle. While it was silent to the human ear, most canine pokemon could hear it, as could Bors.

If he hears this, then he knows he needs to come, so here's to hoping.. Margret stepped out and blew the whistle in three short bursts.

And are we sure its the counselors? We've definitely made some enemies of some of the other campers. Could the rich jerk be behind all this?

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to adhoc the whistle doesn't work (even if its just gawain is distracted) but I felt like she would have something like this

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327

RedKnightGirl

Constance finds not much has been disturbed but she does notice a few things. The front door and Margaret's door have the scratch marks from a small pokemon. Possibly Gawain or something similarly sized. Additionally, the inside of Hitchcock's pokeball is blackened with electrical burns.

Outside, black feathers are easy to pick out from the forest floor. Mixed with them is the occasional brown, puffy one.

After a moment of listening, Margaret hears an excited yelp in the distance. A minute or so later and Gawain comes running full speed out of the forest, clearly shaken but in good spirits and health. The Growlithe greets Margaret vigorously as if in apology for leaving.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

"Didn't take the camera, got it right here," says Ajax as she watches Gawain suspiciously. "More worried that it's Hitchcock. Don't know everything that gooey parasite pokémon is capable of. Skiddo didn't show any signs of infection at first..."

...wait, did it? Ajax takes a quick picture of Gawain and makes a mental note to check her camera later and see if she can spot any tells. No time for that right now, though.

"Anyway, black feathers. Let's go."

Spoiler
    Show
    Need me to roll survival to track the Murkrow?

(4d6)[15]
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-03-09 at 10:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Looking at the scorch marks on the inside of Hitchcock's ball, Constance nods that it was more likely an inside job than the councillors.

I've never heard of anything like this, it is like the ball burst from the inside. Our owl friend was around last night, and I bet those brown feathers are theirs. We should keep an eye out for them as well, they may need our help.

Constance puts the ball away, unsure if it will work to return Hitchcock when the time comes.
    Constance's survival skills were not that great, but at least she could keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

Should we let Mia know, or just head out? We can ping her with our Pokegear if we want to.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception (4d6)[13]

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Hi boy, Margret whispered as the Growlithe licked her face. It's ok, will you take me to where you just were?. She immediately linked to him, and the now familiar sense of smell made the world clear again.

We shouldn't let Mia know. Not if the administration is part of this. In this regard, it seems like we're better off alone, right?. While her words were confident, her voice was clearly unsure.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show