New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Correcting rules or consistent wrongness

So I assume we've all had situations where a ruling was made on the fly to keep the game moving forwards rather than looking up the exact by-the-book method for resolving a situation.
    My question is about those times a ruling has been made, then kept as a persistent go to method for several sessions to the point of people being fairly used to that being the way to run things.
    If that has been the case, but you uncover the RAW way of handling said situation; what would you opinion be on either correcting course, or maintaining the same bearing on the matter?

My personal situation has been to do with line of sight and moving through occupied spaces. For the last several games, it hasn't mattered if a creature in an intercepting space is an ally or enemy, they are treated as obstructions to movement and line of sight equally.

Choke points and hallway combat will change pretty drastically if I change now, and I'm not sure if it will be for better or worse.
    Last edited by Zhorn; 2019-05-06 at 11:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Correcting rules or consistent wrongness

I am always open to changing the rules, either to conform to RAW or to discard RAW, going forward.

Never, ever retcon. Things that already happened, already happened, according to the rules at the time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

I never consider the RAW as anything but a guideline. If the rules work and/or do what I want them to do, or I just don't have a better solution, then that's fine. But anything that doesn't work as I want it to is subject to change. The danger is when something occurs only once in a blue moon - then I will forget my house rule before it rear's it's ugly head next.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

"RAW" usually includes "Rule Zero" which allows GMs to add, change and drop rules at will. Normally, as soon as I get my hands on a game system, I start changing it to my liking - because most rpgs allow it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

It is a GM's job to arbitrate rules and make on-the-spot rulings if a rule either doesn't exists for a situation or is not found in reasonable time. Consistency exists within a play session only - it's fine to amend rules and rulings between sessions as long as you make this clear to the players.

However, the above does not consider utility of the rule or ruling - that is case dependent. Even a spontaneous ruling might just be better than RAW equivalent. This is subject to testing and not much can be said of it in the abstract.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

On the other hand, I would see no problem with you saying, "Hey guys, this thing that we do this way, turns out we should do it that way according to the rules, so from now on we'll do it that way," if that's what you want.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

When weighing "better or worse ruling" I consider if it makes the session more fun for everyone. Funner = better.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    On the other hand, I would see no problem with you saying, "Hey guys, this thing that we do this way, turns out we should do it that way according to the rules, so from now on we'll do it that way," if that's what you want.
    I do this, and I also do "well, turns out the rules say we should have been doing it this way, but we've been consistently playing this other way, so we're gonna keep doing it the way we have been."

(E.g. Flanking (if a foe is flanked, he's flanked for everyone, not just the two making him flanked) or, just this week, staggered being modified to "if you take an action that's moving more than half speed, you take 1 damage (since we were previouslu unaware you could move at half-speed and NOT take damage...))

Whichever seems like is the most appropriate ruling for a specific instance.

(Mind you, this is cming from someone who plays a 3.5/PF hybrid with enough tweaks and changes it's basically an edition in and of itself...)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-05-07 at 09:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I really couldn't care whether the rule is "correct". What I'm interested in is whether it is "better". In this situation I'd have two rules in front of me, so it's entirely a matter of assessment for which one I think is a stronger rule for the game I'm running.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmmm… I care about "consistency". Of course, since characters only pop into existence as adults from our PoV, not theirs, my characters, at least, have a history (a "backstory") that follows RAW. If your world deviates from that, or, worse, is subject to change, there should be a definable event (like The Time of Troubles) that causes these rules changes. Anything less than that, and we'll need to retcon the whole campaign, and my character's backstory, to match these rules.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Hmmm… I care about "consistency". Of course, since characters only pop into existence as adults from our PoV, not theirs, my characters, at least, have a history (a "backstory") that follows RAW. If your world deviates from that, or, worse, is subject to change, there should be a definable event (like The Time of Troubles) that causes these rules changes. Anything less than that, and we'll need to retcon the whole campaign, and my character's backstory, to match these rules.
    So, if your DM reads AoOs wrong and thinks it's like 5E, so only when you leave their entire threatened space, not just any threatened square... How many backstories would you have to rewrite?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I really couldn't care whether the rule is "correct". What I'm interested in is whether it is "better". In this situation I'd have two rules in front of me, so it's entirely a matter of assessment for which one I think is a stronger rule for the game I'm running.
    Very much this.

I dislike D&D's Vancian magic system so I used a more forgiving system for years. I change initiative, movement rates, anything that will make the game better for the group.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    So, if your DM reads AoOs wrong and thinks it's like 5E, so only when you leave their entire threatened space, not just any threatened square... How many backstories would you have to rewrite?
    All of them (that involve that GM's world). Yet another reason my characters are "not from around here", so that such inconstant physics can be explained.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    All of them (that involve that GM's world). Yet another reason my characters are "not from around here", so that such inconstant physics can be explained.
    Can I have an example of a backstory and what would need to be changed with the incredibly minor change to AoO rules?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Personally, I prefer whichever allows me and my fellow players to have the most fun. As long as it doesn't derail the story to the point where Old Man Henderson sheds a tear, it's probably fine to do whichever is more entertaining for everyone.