A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
Results 631 to 642 of 642
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    All? No, not all - look, here's more!

    And you know, graahh.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    Still Rage, Reckless Attacks, Frenzy.

    Attack: (1d20+6)[20] or (1d20+6)[15]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[16] plus bless (?!) (1d4)[4]

    Frenzy: (1d20+6)[15] or (1d20+6)[11]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[11] plus bless (?!) (1d4)[3]

    Who knows, crit confirm: (1d20+6)[24]

  2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Cèsar is not one to gloat or banter in the middle of a fight. He lets out a blast of energy, trying to weaken the skeleton or at least weaken its defences. “We thank thee for your guidance, my Queen.” he whispers as his raven tries to block the line of sight of their enemy. Still, it pays to be vigilant: he expects reinforcements to come soon.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bless is , unfortunately, only for attack rolls and savind throws, not damage rolls.
    Raven: help - (1d20+4)[5], +2 extra if getting a flanking bonus.
    Ben: hit - (1d20+6)[9] + Bless - (1d4)[4], hitExtra - (1d20+6)[12] + Bless - (1d4)[1] if applicable, ForceDMG - (1d10+4)[7] with Eldritch Blast
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  3. - Top - End - #633
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Woggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Cèsar's lance of eldritch energy careens wide, failing to hit either Bone or one of his illusory doubles, impacting the temple wall just underneath the statue of At'ar {miss, misses mirror image}. Cèsar's familiar flutters past Bone, but isn't distracting enough to break the sorcerous skeleton's guard.

    Borgrim's first cleave swipes cleanly through one of Bone's doubles, dispelling it immediately, provoking a cackle from Bone. His remaining two illusory doubles cavort and clatter about the marble floor {hit, targets/hits double}. Taking advantage of the momentary opening, Borgrim's second swing aims true, cutting and crunching into Bone's thigh. Hastings blazes with fire, the flames licking and charring Bone's leg. Bone raises a finger and glowers. Infernal speech castigates Borgrim inside his head {hit: 9 slash, 2 fire! Bone: Hellish Rebuke}.

    Zanbar Bone then pulls a tooth from his always grinning mouth and tosses it behind Borgrim. Upon landing it sprouts up into a fully formed, man-sized skeleton with a deformed forearm that sprouts a long, shiv like protrusion {Legendary action}.

    Rosa steps out from her attempted hiding spot behind one of the wide column bases, takes a moment to aim, and lets loose another silvered quarrel. Her second shot flies true, like the first, and thunks into Zanbar Bone's chest. He hisses in pain and anger, clearly looking worse for the wear {hit: 12 pierce}. Rosa steps back into shadow, waiting for another favourable moment to strike.

    Zanbar Bone, clearly suffering under the onslaught, gathers his himself up and sweeps back his cloak. He Raises both his arms forward and a booming voice thunders through the trio's heads: "FLEE!" A single word, but infused with sorcerous power.

    In the centre of the hall, the shifting sands rising from the tossed pouch begin to coalesce. Soon the shape of a humanoid, wrapped head to foot in decaying bandages, takes form. It groans in a mix of pain and satisfaction, gazing about the hall through bandage covered face. The smell of death wafts out from it.

    Spoiler: OOC, Rolls, End of Round 2
    Show

    LINK to dice rolling thread.

    Initiative, Mummy - (1d20-1)[0] Will take its first turn in Round 3.
    Initiative, Skeleton Minion - (1d20+2)[17] Will take its first turn in Round 3.

    Initiative for Round 3: Cèsar 21, Borgrim 20, Rosa 18, Bone + skeleton 17, Mummy 0.

    Zanbar Bone has two of his doubles from Mirror Image left, and looks very hurt.

    Borgrim needs to make a DC 13 Dexterity Saving Throw (with Bless) against Hellish Rebuke Fire - (2d10)[10]. Save for half.

    Borgrim, Cèsar, and Rosa each need to make a DC 13 Wisdom Saving Throw (with Bless) against Command (Flee). A failure means that they spend their next turn (Round 3) moving as far as they can away from Bone (i.e. move and Dash action).

    EDIT: Oh, and Cèsar's Raven doesn't need to make a roll in order to use the Help Action, it just needs to be within 5 feet of the target.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2020-08-06 at 11:17 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Cèsar spasms with terror for an interminable moment as every part of his body gets ready to flee the undead monstrosities coming for him. Yet, a whisper seemingly from beyond the grave tells him to hold fast and, surprising even himself, he does.

    Still shaking off the unpleasant experience, he looks around and assesses the situation. He can do little for bone and the other skeleton, but they had a plan for the mummy and he puts it into action.

    “You!” he yells “Return to your just imprisonment!” He presents the urn he already had in hand, speaks the words, and prays for success.

    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Wis saving throw in the ooc thread.
    If the mummy gets in the urn right away, that’s all. Otherwise, Cesar casts Sanctuary on himself. wildMagic - (1d20)[13] if needed.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  5. - Top - End - #635
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Frothing at the mouth, bloodshot eyes, veins standing out all over his body, Borgrim feels the pull of Zanbar Bones magic, but isn't overcome. Instead, he continues his relentless onslaught, greatsword crashing again and again into the brittle bone of the undead mage.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Still Rage, Reckless Attacks, Frenzy.

    Attack: (1d20+6)[16] or (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[13]

    Bonus action, Frenzy attack: (1d20+6)[10] or (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[10]

    Potential crit confirm: Wait ... he's undead. Can undead be critted in 5e? Oh well, regardless: (1d20+6)[12]

  6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    With her back to a column, Rosa doesn't even notice the last command issued by Bone.

    Taking a peek, she discovers a newly appeared skeleton with a nasty looking arm. "Behind you, Grim!" she yells in distress, before adding "چربی" as she throws a piece of dried lard towards the skeleton.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting grease under the shiv-leton.

    Skele-shiv maybe? Or Shiveton?
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  7. - Top - End - #637
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Woggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Benedict ignores Bone's command and instead speaks the words and activates the funerary urn. It thrums with power in his hands, and he can feel it tugging in the direction of the mummified apparition. A moment later the mummified figure is yanked nearly off balance as if by an invisible hand, and a scattering of sand is drawn toward the urn. The creature appears to resist the call of its prison for now {Cha save: succeeds}.

    Borgrim, in rage unending, sees through Bone's illusions with blood-clouded eyes. Hastings once again strikes true, this time crushing and burning into Zanbar Bone's torso. Bone's mouth opens wide in a silent grimace and his skeletal frame clatters down to the floor, followed by his two illusory duplicates which remain active for the moment {Hastings, 11+2 fire dam}.

    Rosa conjures up a patch of slick grease on the temple floor, catching both the freshly conjured skeletal warrior and the sand-mummy figure. They both lose their footing on the unexpected surface and land prone on the marble floor. Rosa then ducks behind another pillar before either can get a bead on her.

    Zanbar Bone's body remains where it lies. His skeleton minion picks itself up carefully from the greased floor and takes a cautious step toward Borgrim. It moves deceptively, striking a glancing blow against the blood-clouded barbarian {hit, 3 piercing dam}.

    The mummy slowly rises to its feet. Its attention is focused solely on the its former prison. Its takes a single hesitant step toward Benedict and then flashes a dreadful glare at him, its eye-cavities pulsing with malevolence. It is, however, unable to clear the patch of grease and loses its footing once more.

    Spoiler: OOC, End of Round 3
    Show

    Very sorry about the gap in posting.

    LINK1 to dice rolls, and LINK2 to more rolls.

    Initiative for Round 4: Cèsar 21, Borgrim 20, Rosa 18, Skeleton 17, Mummy 0

    I'll let Borgrim choose to either use his bonus attack during round 3 against Bone's body or his skeleton minion. I'll edit this post accordingly. The damage Borgrim took is reduced by Rage, so only a single point of damage.

    The mummy made its first save vs. the urn, though that will be an ongoing effect.

    Benedict needs to make a Wisdom saving throw vs. the Mummy's Dreadful Glare (DC 12), or become frightened until the end of the mummy's next turn. If he fails by 5 or more, he is also paralyzed for the same duration.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2020-08-23 at 09:41 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  8. - Top - End - #638
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    A momentary look of puzzlement touches Borgrim's face - looking supremely out of place amidst the murderous rage. But in truth, Borgrim is not one to doubt his own might, and so he decides that sure ... that was the end of Zanbar Bone.

    Know that it was I, Borgrim Wyldstrike, and Rosa and César, who consigned you to final death, eternal damnation, and the pyres of history, Zanbar Bone, he cries out in victory (!!) before leaping on to the mummy.

    GRAAAHHH!!!

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Still all the good stuff - Rage, Reckless Attack, Frenzy.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[11] or (1d20+6)[13]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[15]

    Frenzy:
    Attack: (1d20+6)[16] or (1d20+6)[8]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[12]

    If at all feasible:
    Jump: (1d20+6)[7] or (1d20+6)[12]

    Can Borgrim stand at the edge of the Grease - or must he roll a save? If so: Dex save: (1d20+2)[5]

  9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa bends out from behind cover and shoots the skeleton. "Less talking, more bone-smashing, Grim!"

    Silent again, she relocates behind another column.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    • Attack - (1d20+6)[14]+Bless - (1d4)[3]
    • Advantage - (1d20+6)[9]
    • Damage - (1d6+4)[5]
    • Sneak attack - (1d6)[1]
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  10. - Top - End - #640
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    I believe I'm already smashing bone to the best of my ability, Rosa - but talking doesn't detract from it.

    Spoiler: Cause ...
    Show

    It's a free action :p

  11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Cèsar looks at the mummy and freezes. This was a mistake, he cannot help bu think over and over.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I think that's it.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  12. - Top - End - #642
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Woggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Benedict stands frozen in place, eyes wide in fear and unable to command his body to do anything at all.

    Borgrim obliterates the recently conjured skeleton, violently scattering its bones across the marble floor of the temple {Hastings, 13+2 dam}. He leaps over the edge of the grease patch to engage the sand and bandage encased desiccated form of the mummy. Swinging Hastings around in another shinning arc, Borgrim cuts into the undead monster {Hastings, 10/2=5 slashing +2*2=4 fire dam}. Flames race from the great sword up and across the mummy's side, igniting some of the loose bandaging. The creature emits a keening cry, somewhere between a human scream and the howl of a sandstorm.

    Rosa dips out from behind a column and lines up a well-placed shot, sinking a quarrel into the mummy left shoulder {Hit, 6/2=3 piercing}. She ducks back out of sight before the mummy can focus on her location.

    In retaliation, the mummy awkwardly lifts itself up out of the grease patch, finally stepping clear of the hazard. It lunges at Borgrim with surprising speed. Its clawed fist grasps onto the barbarian's arm and holds on with a steely grip {Hit, 8/2=4 bludgeoning, +4 necrotic dam}. It focuses its gaze at Borgrim, attempting to fear him through his rage.

    Turning back toward Benedict, the mummy attempts to break through the protective ward, but to no avail. In frustration it lashes at Borgrim with several animated, whip-like bandages {Crit! 11/2=5 bludgeoning dam}.

    Finally, Benedict is able to shake the fear from his limbs. The urn pulses, causing the mummy to moan out again as sand and pieces of ancient fabric are dragged into the receptacle, tearing away the whip-like bandages {10 force damage}.

    Spoiler: OOC, End of Round 4
    Show

    Mummy Con save vs. being lit on fire:
    ConS - (1d20+2)[3] vs. DC 13

    Initiative for Round 5: César 21, Borgrim 20, Rosa 18, Mummy 0.

    Link to the ROLLS.

    Benedict/César is no longer frightened/paralyzed.

    Borgrim is currently Grappled by the mummy, and also Restrained while he is grappled like this (Escape DC 13).
    Borgrim also needs to make a Wisdom Saving throw against the mummy's Dreadful Glare (DC 11 vs. frightened until the end of the mummy's next turn, if he fails by 5 or more, he is also paralyzed.)

    The mummy is currently on fire, and will take 1d4 fire damage at the start of its next turn (and subsequent turns, assuming its not put out).
    Last edited by Woggle; 2020-12-10 at 01:16 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •