Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "So, anything useful?".
    "Good morning, whoever you are on this day," answers Rosa. "So yes, the chain is surprisingly devoid of any curse and should perform as stated. The horse figurine... mmm..." Rosa pauses and scratches her neck. "Well, I'd heard of such ivory figurines being enchanted to transform into what they represent to aid their bearer. Yet this one is an interesting take on the concept. The color seems to indicate an intent to mock or subvert its expected use: It morphs into a fiend that may or may not be helpful to the figurine's bearer, a being autonomous from said bearer's will. Under proper circumstances... Yet a malediction hovers above it. I don't know if its content is only the summoned being's facetiousness, or if something more sinister is afoot. The box itself, when locked, is warded with a storm spell. I guess we could re-purpose it as a booby-trap? The rest is junk."

"Uhm, I wonder how long that is going to take. Well, at least we have what we really need now."
    Rosa shrugs. Before lighting her pipe.

"Wait, did you send the big guy out alone?
    As the pipe haze dissipates, Rosa hears the end of the question. "I sent him to gather the silver weapons, he was getting on my nerves. It's a simple task, what could go wrong?"

As she's finishing her sentence, Rosa's frown deepens. Before César can answer, her eyes widen and she exclaims: "By the Infinite Depths of the Abyss, we have to catch up with him before... before... before he does whatever it is he keeps doing!" She's already wrapped in her cloak and going for the tent's exit.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

"Curious." says César, caressing his hairless chin. "This... figurine: can it be... repaired somehow? Or can the creature that is inside it be bargained with? If neither one nor the other, it can still be useful as a distraction, I guess."

"Oh, and I'll keep whatever you don't want, including the box. Waste not, want not. Right?"

As Rosa realises her mistake, César sigs, already feeling tired despite having been awake for just 5 minutes. "Let's go fetch him back, before anything bad happens. Fortunately, he doesn't blend in easily."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #483
    Bugbear in the Playground

Borgrim makes his way up to the Singing Bridge above, his spirits high in the bright light of early morning. He strides north across the bridge heading to the silversmith's shop on Candle street. Beginning to get a firm feeling for the rhythm of city life, Borgrim does an admirable job blending into the morning crowds. He passes folk bustling with preparations for the festival two days hence, nabbing a large apple from a young vendor on the way.

Rupert Glinstone greets Borgrim as the young man strides into 17 Candle Street with a broad smile: "Ah, young master Borgrim, correct? Your sword and earrings are ready! You wouldn't happen to be picking up the items for your friend, would you? The dagger and bolts she asked for are ready as well. I'll just get the receipt written up..."

The halfling silversmith hands over the goods and a small piece of parchment. He smiles again. "Thank you very much for your business! And the earrings turned out quite well, if I do say so myself, ha! Good day!"

Borgrim shoulders Hastings and holds the earrings up in the morning light. Two exquisitely cut teardrops of deep red suspended from understated silver fittings catch the sun and almost glow with warmth. Pocketing the earrings with care, Borgrim sets off back toward Singing Bridge. On the way there, however, something at the back of the half-orcs brain sets off warning signals. He glances to his left and spots a mixed group of humans and hobgoblins loitering on the street corner. A narrowing of the eyes reveals their true intentions: a half-hidden cudgel under a cloak hem, the glint of brass on a clenched fist. Borgrim knows danger when he sees it, and ducks behind a slow moving cart laden with bolts of coloured fabric. Weighing the opportunity for a fight with wooing Niamh, Borgrim changes his course to head toward The Mermaid to deliver the earrings and avoid the miscreants.

A surreptitious glance over his shoulder reveals to Borgrim that he's not been followed. With a spring in his step he pushes open the door to The Mermaid. His eyes adjust quickly to the dimmer light of the bar. The place is mostly empty, with only a few patrons eating breakfast or having a morning tea. Esme, the proprietor, raises an eyebrow at the half-orc as she walks behind the bar from a backroom. Niamh enters a few moments later, yawning as she walks down the flight of stairs from the second floor. She doesn't notice Borgrim right away. When she does, her eyes widen for an instant and she quickly pats down a few creases in her dress and hurriedly tucks her hair behind an ear. Composing herself, she greets Borgrim with a bright smile. She shoots a questioning glance toward Esme, who just sighs and shrugs. Niamh offers Borgrim his choice of drink, and joins him at a small table.

Over the course of chit-chat filled with little glances and giggles, which goes (surprisingly, or unsurprisingly?) quite well, Niamh suggests getting together two days from now during the Festival of Sowing. After a little more small talk, she apologizes and gets up to start her work. Esme puts her hands on her hips and 'hrumphs!', but a second later Borgrim catches a sly smile tugging at the barkeep's mouth.

Meanwhile, Rosa and César set off in a bit of a panic, imagining all the possible awful outcomes of a lone Borgrim tramping through the city. On the bridge above Mao sniffs about and catches Borgrim's trail. The cat sets off with Rosa and César in tow, but is unconcerned with speed, preferring instead to amble along at a leisurely pace, tail held high.

Upon reaching the intersection between Garden Street, Candle Street, and Harbour Street, Mao stops to do a little grooming and then sniffs at the air once more. While Rosa's familiar seeks out Borgrim's trail, Rosa and César spy a suspicious group of four humans and hobgoblins heading west along Harbour Street, in the direction of The Mermaid. Rosa and César share a knowing glance, and keep pace well behind the potential vagabonds as they approach the entrance to the tavern.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I forgot to mention that everyone benefits from a Long Rest.

To clarify, the figurine of the Nightmare is 'cursed' in that the beast will not follow commands. I should have used different wording to avoid the confusion.

I wasn't sure if Borgrim wanted to offer Niamh the earrings now or later, so I'll leave that up to him. I'll add a reaction if you decide that he did give them.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2020-04-03 at 10:58 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

"Damn," Rosa whispers to César, "they must have spotted the oaf at the silversmith, and rightly think he's loaded with jewelry."

"I can try to put some fear in them, I don't believe we have time to waste on them. What do you think? You stay back, I go explain things to them, and if they don't understand you pretend to be coming with a bunch of watchmen in tow? Would that work? Let's wait to be near the Mermaid, so Borbor can hopefully back us up if things go South?"

A fiendish grin splits Rosa's face. "Gimme back that trapped box, just got an idea of how to put it into practical use..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I got the figurine's thing. I was just adding some RP flavouring.

So the smith was a halfling? I had a distinct recollection of him being a gnome. Probably cause from behind the counter one can't tell the hairy feet...
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #485
    Firbolg in the Playground

Borgrim noticed the bad guys, weighed his options, and decided it would be slightly tricky to beat them all up unarmed - and too much trouble to kill them all. So he ducked out, worked his way around, and went on his merry way, forgetting all about them in the blink of an eye.

They wouldn't have been looking for him, specifically, anyways. Right? Pfft - don't be paranoid.

Arriving at the Mermaid, he has a wonderful time with Naimh. He's even surprised when she invites him out, before he has a chance to give her the earrings.

There is something disarming and endearing about a giant green warrior, who strides unafraid into combat, to become bashful and almost lose his nerve when talking to a girl. He almost doesn't get his courage up, before walking out the door.

Naimh, I ... he stutters, see, you ...

You are a creature of surpassing beauty, Naimh. I want to give you something - I'd be really pleased if you like this, because .. well, you know .. I had it made specially for you.
    He fumbles out the little pouch with the earrings, I had to make ... quite an effort to find just the stones to complement your skin and eyes. These are blessed by the gods, Naimh. I'd be maybe a little careful about wearing them around anyone I don't know and trust.

And um .... maybe not wear them to church at all, if you go?

And he smiles his big, dumb, hopeful smile - like a goon.