Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 361 to 390 of 475
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Ah - a voice of reason.

    Lady Gloy, my patience is sorely frayed. Twice now I've not killed you, although I remain tempted. Twice, you hear? Once on general principles, for going out of your way to be rude to my friend - and once for even comtemplating for a moment that it's right for one person to own another.

    So that's twice I've spared your life, and you owe me. Now, you releasing Enfys I'll count as one count paid. That still leaves another, so I can change my mind at any time.

    Now, you're a spiteful, hateful old creature. So you'll get it into your mind that you want revenge. And I can relate - you're no more crazy with us than we are with you. But I'm counting on your intelligence and survival instinct, old crone. There's barely a scratch on the three of us, and you're at deaths door.

    There will be no mercy next time, Gloy. I've kept you alive because I respect your knowledge. We need you.

    But press me even once more, and here's what I'll do: I'll cut you down like a dog, sever your head and plant my axe in it for a handle. And I'll carry your handy head to your sister, and use it as an argument to convince her to tell me what she knows. I can be persuasive like that, you see.

    Do .. not .. cross me, Gloy.


    Borgrim seethes as he says this. This is, indeed, not a threat. It is prophecy. It is the future, known today. A statement of established fact. There are no more rolls of the dice for Gloy. Only compliance, or death.

    But then he smiles - his big, bright smile, from ear to ear. All friendly. And kneels, to gently touch her cheek.

    Trust me Gloy, you'd much rather be my friend. My enemies don't live long, but I'm genuinely generous to those who help me. Go, heal. Enjoy your domain down here. And with any luck, Enfys will still help you out - but you'll have to pay her fair wages for her effort. Or, you know ..

    He let's that last hang, and walks off without a care in the world.

    Spoiler: Oh, and OOC
    Show

    No Intimidate check. She can believe it or not. It is written, and it shall be - whether she believes it or not. This, essentially, is taking 20 as far as Borgrim is concerned.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-11-19 at 12:20 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Well said, Bogrim." comments Ben. There is nothing more to be added, really.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  3. - Top - End - #363
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    As he walks off, Borgrim suddenly stops, turns, looks very pensive for a moment, then asks - slowly:

    Say .. Lady Gloy. Where did you find Enfys?

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Sorry, it didn't even occur to me previously. But it's almost certain that Gloy stole baby Enfys, and knows where her people dwell.

  4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The weight of Borgrim's words wash over Gloy's battered body. She remains kneeling in supplication for the entirety of the speech. When Borgrim turns away, Gloy shakes her clasped hands together and nods vigorously.

    "Thank you, master Borgrim! Wise and strong you are! Little Enfys is free to do as she pleases, and we will reward her most handsomely if she wishes to aid us once more. And we will bear no grudge, no, no! Not over a misunderstanding, no no! A grave misunderstanding, but only a misunderstanding! I shall let dear sister know not to interfere with your travel through the sewers if you seek to return, and if you seek a trade once more, in the distant future, we shall endeavour to behave more magnanimously, you can be certain!"

    Seeing the trio begin their motions to leave, Gloy slowly and painfully picks herself up with the help of her knotted cane and hobbles toward the entrance of her, now somewhat smoky, lair. "Now I must rest. I shan't forget the mercy you have shown, oh no!"

    Enfys exits the lair a few moments latter, tucking a small satchel underneath her cloak. As she passes opposite Gloy, she removes a round object from a thong about her neck and holds it in her hand, thoughtful for a second. Then she nodes her head once, firmly, and tosses the amulet into the sewer channel. Gloy catches sight of the throw and her eyes grow wide. The hag lets out a wail and splashes into the sewer water, grasping at the discarded amulet.

    Enfys straightens and says "You'll have to find another bearer. I'll keep ta me-self from now on." She turns and continues along the walkway toward the trio. Gloy looks after, her expression unreadable. She opens her mouth as if to speak, but closes it quickly and casts a sycophantic smile at Rosa and Benedict. She then turns and replies to Borgrim's query:

    "Why, near one of the entrances to this very sewer, many seasons ago. Just a wee whelp, tossed away in an alley. But we saw she had worth, we did!" Gloy struggles up out of the sewer channel and shuffles into her lair.

    Enfys rejoins the trio. "Shall I show ye out? Nearest ladder ain't far from here; Cotton Street I think it's called."

    Enfys sets off, and after ten or so minutes of winding sewer passages the three arrive at a ladder leading up to Cotton Street above.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    As well as levelling up, everyone also gets Inspiration. As well as being used to gain one-time Advantage on a roll, this also be used to cause an enemy to have disadvantage (e.g. on their attack roll, or on a saving throw), turn a hit into a crit, get an extra reaction, or to create an opportunity for your char that bends the rules a little either to avoid some ill-effect or do something cool or gaining some sort of special insight on a problem.

    Assuming Nicodemus is the destination, I'll handle his scrying in my next post, and you can assume you'll have some time to open the lock box, go over the items you've found and do your levelling up then. I'll list the magic items here:

    • Phosphor Bronze Axe: handaxe, but 1d8 damage. Once per day (requires attunement), as a reaction when you take Acid damage, you have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. The first time you hit with the axe afterwards, you deal an extra 1d8 Acid damage. The axe is also impervious to corrosion and weapon-destroying effects.
    • Moon-Sight Mirror:Looking at creatures in the mirror reveals their true form (i.e. if shapeshifted or polymorphed). The mirror also allows the looker to see through illusory images (i.e. those created by Minor Illusion, Silent Image, or Major Image). Does NOT interact with mental affecting illusion spells (i.e. Phantasmal Force, Phantasmal Killer).

    In the jewelry-/lock-box:
    • Black-Onyx Amulet (requires attunement by Warlock): While wearing this amulet, you gain the following benefits: You can use it as a spell casting focus (both warlock and sorcerer spells for Benedict). You can try to cast a cantrip that you don’t know. The cantrip must be on the warlock spell list, and you must make a DC 10 Intelligence (Arcana) check. If the check succeeds, you cast the spell. If the check fails, so does the spell, and the action used to cast the spell is wasted. In either case, you can’t use this property again until you finish a long rest.
    • Ivory Die (requires attunement): This d6 is carved from ivory, and whenever you roll it, you can control which number it rolls.
    • Moonstone Ring (non-magical): This fairly simple ring of silver and moonstone has a small trigger which reveals a tiny blade, suitable for the application of poison.
    • 125 gp worth of mundane jewelry and coin.


    Borgrim also received a stingling mandible/pincer, and I believe Benedict took one of the stingling venom sacs.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa stays away from most of the drama, busy cleaning up her trail of dropped assorted weapons. She checks her gear twice, then nods to herself with satisfaction. Yet, she notices Enfys throwing something into the water, followed by Gloy's plunge. She gives Gloy yet another baleful glare, but no more words.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Enfys rejoins the trio. "Shall I show ye out? Nearest ladder ain't far from here; Cotton Street I think it's called."
    "Cotton's as good as any... Hopefully, the guard won't mind too much our, for once literally, sh!tty appearance. The sooner I'm out of here, the better I'll feel."



    Once they're out of earshot from Gloy, Rosa turns to Enfys. "So, she was spying on you with that trinket?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Let's go to Nicodemus with our magic 8 ball crystal ball of scrying. Hopefully it's not cursed and won't turn him blind. Or impotent. Or both.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Once they're out of earshot from Gloy, Rosa turns to Enfys. "So, she was spying on you with that trinket?"
    Enfys tilts her head and raises her hands in a shrugging motion. "Not s'much to spy on me, but so I can show the ladies things that I see, when I'm wanderin' about. Some sort o' magic eye. Don't know magic, though, only potions and re-age-ents, that sort o' stuff."

    When they reach the Cotton Street ladder, Enfys tips her hat to the trio. "Good luck above. If ya need to signal me, just leave something behind here." Enfys pulls on a particular loose stone in the wall, showing a small nook, then replaces it. "I'll wait around dawn and dusk. Don't worry, is'no bother fer me. Well, got's some thinkin' to do now. Farewell." Enfys nods, snuffs her lamp, and pads back down the sewer passage.



    It being not too far out of the way, The trio walk along Cotton Street toward Lobster Wharf, hoping to finally secure a black pearl or two. They walk into the Sun as it works its way toward the horizon, west over the Glimmering Sea. The smell of fish and the cry of gulls and street vendors hawking goods intermingle along Lobster Wharf. After several minutes of attempting to find anyone who might know where black pearls might be bought, the trio address an authoritative looking human woman in the process of yelling orders at a few dock hands as they unload goods from a small freighter. When asked, she shakes her head in reply, telling that there haven't been any black pearls for some time, but that the Emerald Cutter, due in any day, will likely have some. All she can offer is to check back tomorrow or in a day or two.

    A little disappointed, Borgrim, Benedict and Rosa head back up Harbour Street toward the Singing Bridge, and Nicodemus. A stiff breeze from off the sea sets the bridge totems whistling eerily as they cross, but the fresh sea air is otherwise pleasant. After a rap on the door, Nicodemus waves the trio inside. He sniffs a little, wrinkling his long nose at the smell of a trek through the sewers.

    "Well, how did the three adventurers manage, then? Though perhaps it would be best if you bathed before we got into too much detail..." Nicodemus takes the crystal ball as the three fill him in on their outing to the sea hags. He refrains from making too many judgemental comments, only adding, when they're finished: "I suppose I expected a slightly more diplomatic approach, but, well, I'm sure the hags would have found some way to hold a grudge anyway. Now, to important matters! Baths!" Nicodemus claps his hands loudly, and three narrow, brass-handled doors appear in the far wall of the shack. "You'll find everything you need through the thresholds to get yourselves cleaned up. Just place any articles of clothing you'd like tidied up in the wicker baskets, and they'll be fresh by the time you're done. I'll put the kettle on, and then being my preparations for the scrying."

    The bathing rooms are small, but the water is hot and clean and there are a number of oils and fragrances to add to it, to the bather's choice. After a suitably long soak, Borgrim, Benedict and Rosa are greeted by tea as well as three plates of spiced lamb with almonds, potatoes, turnips, and carrots. Nicodemus is settled in the middle of small chalk circle, chanting under his breath, with the crystal ball place on a silk pillow before him. Midway through the meal, Nicodemus shouts out, "Aha! Now I see her, clever thing. Yes, I think I recognize the place... On Winding Street, near the north end. A bright yellow, round door. Though it looks as though Gloy was a little out of date: It's not unoccupied. Looks as though... yes, our night hag is masquerading as a housemaid, it seems. Well, isn't that interesting. Dark haired, appears to look twenty or so, bright green eyes. A plain brown dress with a yellow and red shawl, and a red ribbon tying the hair back."

    Nicodemus squints his eyes, as if trying to look into the sun, and the lets out a sigh. "Ah, that's the magic spent. I'm spent too, I must say. I suppose I really am getting old." The old wizard settles back into the chair, and begins to fill his pipe. "That should get you started, eh. Again, be cautious around this one. It's bound to be trickier than the two sea hags in the sewers."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Now, If Borgrim and Benedict wanted to check in on Furtha and DeAnna Longtooth, respectively, Rosa could begin staking out the night hag residence. Then Borgrim and Benedict could meet up with Rosa after and hour or so, just after sunset.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Enfys tilts her head and raises her hands in a shrugging motion. "Not s'much to spy on me, but so I can show the ladies things that I see, when I'm wanderin' about. Some sort o' magic eye. Don't know magic, though, only potions and re-age-ents, that sort o' stuff."

    When they reach the Cotton Street ladder, Enfys tips her hat to the trio. "Good luck above. If ya need to signal me, just leave something behind here." Enfys pulls on a particular loose stone in the wall, showing a small nook, then replaces it. "I'll wait around dawn and dusk. Don't worry, is'no bother fer me. Well, got's some thinkin' to do now. Farewell." Enfys nods, snuffs her lamp, and pads back down the sewer passage.
    "Farewell, Enfys..." Rosa's voice trails off. As Enfys turns away, Rosa takes a step and raises her hand, thinking for a short moment to stop the ratling in her tracks. But Rosa stops her motion halfway. She then turns away up silently, biting her lower lip.



    Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    "Well, how did the three adventurers manage, then? Though perhaps it would be best if you bathed before we got into too much detail..." Nicodemus takes the crystal ball as the three fill him in on their outing to the sea hags. He refrains from making too many judgemental comments, only adding, when they're finished: "I suppose I expected a slightly more diplomatic approach, but, well, I'm sure the hags would have found some way to hold a grudge anyway. Now, to important matters! Baths!"
    For a short instant, Rosa looks deeply stricken and shameful, but the mention of baths erases every other concern, even those usually born of modesty. She removes her clothes, taking good care of emptying her pockets and dumps the smelly rags into the wicker baskets. Then, she immediately dashes into a bathroom.

    The bathing rooms are small, but the water is hot and clean and there are a number of oils and fragrances to add to it, to the bather's choice. After a suitably long soak, Borgrim, Benedict and Rosa are greeted by tea as well as three plates of spiced lamb with almonds, potatoes, turnips, and carrots. Nicodemus is settled in the middle of small chalk circle, chanting under his breath, with the crystal ball place on a silk pillow before him.
    As Nicodemus undergoes his ritual, Rosa spares no time to even taste the food. Instead, she finishes picking the jewellery box. With a satisfied smile and a wink to Borgrim, she then takes her own piece of chalk, and gathers their newfound gear. She draws her own, far less complex ritual circle, humming under her breath. While Rosa is concentrating, Mao the cat crawls inside the tent, steals the largest piece of her mistress' spiced lamb and nonchalantly strolls back out of the tent.

    Nicodemus squints his eyes, as if trying to look into the sun, and the lets out a sigh. "Ah, that's the magic spent. I'm spent too, I must say. I suppose I really am getting old." The old wizard settles back into the chair, and begins to fill his pipe. "That should get you started, eh. Again, be cautious around this one. It's bound to be trickier than the two sea hags in the sewers."
    "It was my fault... what happened in the sewer. I'll try... No, I'll be smarter this time." She turns to Faust and Borgrim. "It's a promise, I owe it to you two."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ritual casting Identify on all our new gear. Rosa wants to show off her mad skillz in front of Nicodemus.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  8. - Top - End - #368
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    What? Why? I thought things went splendidly with the hag. She is a horrible creature, she got what was coming, we freed Enfys, we got the information we need. I can barely imagine a more total victory. And anyways, there's no way she'll listen to lessons well learned - so we've done our civic duty, and offered her mercy and redemption, and when she stabs us in the back, she'll feel the full weight of justice as her actions reap their just rewards.

    Turning to Nicodemus, he makes a mildly apologetic gesture:

    I really need to be getting to church. It's a .. midnight ceremony. That whole light and shadow thing, you know? But I'll meet up with everyone back at the inn.

  9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Ben watches the exchange between the ratling and the rest of the group with detached interest, weighting if the small creature was worth the friction with the hags. Overall, ha calls it balanced. Despite his talks of social justice, he is not really one to look out for the little man.

    Back at Nicodemus' abode, he is happy to indulge in what is offered. It is quite apparent that he is partial to creature comforts. He takes the opportunity for a long soaking, thought he eskews any strong scenting.

    When he is finished, Cèsar returns to the main room, adjusting his official uniform. He listens attentively at the description that he is provided with, all the while enjoying his meal.

    "I think we should avoid contacting this creature before having collected enough information to be in a controlled position once we do. To that regard, I think I should try and see if my friend and colleague has found something to report."

    To Rosa: "It's ok. You are entitled to make your own decisions, like everyone else, so long as they are deliberate rather than impulsive. Sometimes you just don't have the time to discuss things beforehand." He tries to be supportive, but there's an edge to the speech that seems to be mean: '...and please try not to get us all killed. Or me, in particular.'
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-12-03 at 11:07 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  10. - Top - End - #370
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    As they are preparing each their own venture, Borgrim regales his comrades with the manifold blessings of the waterproof loincloth:

    You needn't clean this - frankly, you can't - you just let it dry, brush if off, and seal it with fresh grease. And you can make your own real easy, so no need to get swindled out of a small fortune in copper by a tailor. Really, everyone should wear loincloths. I can make you some if you like.

  11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Cèsar listen to Borgrim's argument with apparent interest. "I can see the advantages." he assures the barbarian "And if we are ever to operate on tribal land, I will be sure to try it out at least once. For the time being, however, I will stick to my uniform."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  12. - Top - End - #372
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    After a slow bowl of tobacco, Nicodemus begins to drift off into post-supper slumber as Borgrim, Rosa and César discuss their plans. The trio heads out one by one with the aim of reconvening on Winding Street, near the Silver Coin. César heads south along Singing Avenue to the Hog and Frog to meet with DeAnna Longtooth. Borgrim travels with, heading past to the Temple of At'ar. He loiters a while at the intersection of Temple and Knives, a little bored perhaps, but apart from spying the jewelry street-hawker (who spots Borgrim and gives the imposing half-orc a wide berth) the wait for midnight is uneventful. A little after the other two leave, Rosa sets out for the Winding Street to scope out the yellow-doored residence of the night hag. She passes the Sun and Seven Stars, busy with patrons enjoying an evening meal, on the way to the north end of the street. When she nears the overhang of the Silver Coin, Rosa spies the yellow-doored residence a little further down and across the street. She mingles with the tavern patrons enjoying the night air, many smoking tobacco or punkweed.



    At the Hog and Frog

    César steps into the familiar foyer to find Sergeant Longtooth sipping coffee and wolfing down a baked fish pie, in preparation for her night watch. She swallows down a large mouthful of food as she waves César over. She dabs a napkin across her mouth and takes a quick gulp of coffee.

    "Well, I managed to pry a little information out of Captain Hopper. First, all of the attacks have coincided with movement of some illicit magical goods across the city. Not gold or other valuable goods, or a grudge against one of the gangs, like I'd suspected, but specifically some sort of gem. I don't know what the monster might want with the stuff, but that's why it's attacking. And it seems that the reason the watch doesn't know more, is because part of the watch is actively ignoring it. Turns out young Lady Daria, of the merchant house, Valentis, is pulling strings, and butting heads with the watch members who are still loyal to old Marak Greysteel. Don't know why, I'm afraid. But it leaves the unaligned watch, like you and me, out of the loop. I think that's why Captain Hopper was as helpful as he was, being a Greysteel Loyalist. His hands are probably tied, so he's hoping for us to do something about it, because At'ar knows that Marak Greysteel only moves for Lady Salancia herself. And when was the last time anyone saw anything other than her carriage? "

    DeAnna takes a sip of coffee and then continues: "Second, the captain gave me the name of a firsthand witness to the monster: a 'No-Neck' Bronston. Unfortunately, he's a member of the Hanged, a gang that works out of The Noose, so it might be tricky reaching him. That's all I've got. I don't think I can get anything more out of the captain without bringing too much attention, but I'll keep my ears open and my nose to the ground. Stay watchful, and good luck."



    At the Temple of At'ar

    Borgrim waits for the city bells to ring out midnight, and then shortly after raps sharply at the specified alley entrance to the temple. He hears a bar and bolt being slid back, and a moment latter the visage of Furtha the priest appears, illuminated by a shrouded oil lamp. Furthat peers into the darkness of the alley. Recognizing Borgrim, he gestures the barbarian inside, holding a finger to his lips to signal quiet. The priest leads Borgrim to the inner courtyard, its fruit trees now suffused with starlight. Furthar glances about furtively, then hurries quickly and quietly to the temple hall. Inside, he gestures toward the statue with ruby eyes, and whispers:

    "Make it quick and quiet. I've not learned much about the 'cult' yet, but it still might be useful. The nearest reference I've found is to an old, old cult, likely originating near the city of Kallamehr (a great trading city, far across the Glimmering Sea to the north west). From a ducal report, some two and-a-half centuries old, I found reference to a 'Cult of the Carrion Crow' -- it's a rough translation -- that was very secretive, worshipping either a minor crow deity or possibly a powerful demon. There were rumours that they performed ritual cannibalism of their members (after natural death), and they claimed that their deity consumed other gods or demons in order to absorb their essence and power. It's possible the cult members practiced something similar on a smaller scale, but I've not found anything conclusive. I will, of course, keep researching, and send word if I find anything else. For now, take the rubies before we're found out. Goodnight."

    Furtha leads Borgrim back to the alley entrance, where he is ushered out. Furtha extinguishes his lamp and secures the door behind him.



    On Winding Street, Outside the Silver Coin

    Rosa settles into an alcove just outside the Silver Coin which gives her a good view of the front of the yellow-doored residence. She makes occasional chatter with the patrons to keep suspicions at bay. An hour or so after sunset, she catches sight of a young woman closely resembling the description Nicodemus gave of the Night Hag's human form, but Rosa is not close enough to verify with the mirror without blowing her cover. The young woman heads further north down Winding Street with a large basket, and then returns some ten or so minutes later, rapping at the yellow door and entering. In the dim light Rosa makes out what appears to be a human-looking manservant answering the door. Toward midnight, some of the patron's give Rosa the odd glance from time to time, but none are interested in anything more than looks.

    Around midnight, Rosa could swear she makes out a crouched form move very slowly across the roof of one of the houses neighbouring the yellow-door's, but the starlight isn't quite enough to be sure. Just to be safe, she keeps an eye on the patch of roof with her peripheral vision. A half-hour after midnight and the shape hasn't shifted. A few minutes later, she spies Borgrim and Benedict making their way up Winding Street toward the Silver Coin. At that moment, however, three patrons come crashing out of the tavern and begin tussling violently close by her. She looks north along Winding Street, and spies a watch patrol moving towards the altercation. A whistle pierces the night air and the watch pull truncheons and rush forward, calling out: "Night's watch! Allllright! Break it'up!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I'll need a Charisma (Stealth) check from Rosa, to see how she's managed so far, and whether the watch take any notice of her. Also a perception check for the rooftop figure, though at disadvantage owing to the darkness (further than her darkvsion).

    Borgrim and Benedict are about 100 feet from the scuffle when they hear the watchman whistle, and can see the fight without having to make any check.

    If Rosa wanted, she would have had an hour or so at Nicodemus' where she could have copied a single spell from Nicodemus' Grimoire to her own (at half-cost, due to the prodigious amount of notes and instructions in the grimoire). Choose one from this list (let me know if you don't have access to Xanathar's Guide to Everything):
    • Catapult (Xanathar's)
    • Earth Tremor (Xanathar's, bump damage to 2d6)
    • Feather Fall
    • Alarm
    • Cause Fear (Xanathar's)
    • Master's Touch (bonus action, gain proficiency with weapon or shield you touch for 10 minutes, concentration. Increase to 1 hour for 2nd level spell slot, and 8 hours for third.)


    If their is anything unclear in Furtha's or DeAnna's info, please let me know.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  13. - Top - End - #373
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    For Borgrim, pretty much any clothing is a disguise. He purchases a cheap woolen cloak on his way to the church, drapes it over his shoulders and pulls the hood up. No one will recognize me now, he figures with a small grin, as he waits for Furtha.

    When ushered into the church, he walks quietly towards the statue. He kneels down in front of it, like any old worshipper, listening and watching to see if anyone is around, and aware. When he's confident there's no one to see or try to stop him, he says a quick prayer of his own - to Al'ar, or the tribal deities that watch over large warriors, or the shadowy ur-deities that skulk in the night and have a soft place where their hearts should have been for charming rogues - whoever might be listening, Borgrim isn't picky .. and then he confidently steps up, drags out his oversized dagger, and pries out the rubies.

    Sorry old mate - frankly I need these more than you do he whispers - and then he turns and walks out the nearest exit like nothing untoward was going on.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Stealth: (1d20+4)[9]
    Perception: (1d20)[9] - Borgrim has always found paying attention to be distracting, which is reflected in his skill modifier.
    Ugh! Those rolls. Really, I need my dice roller reset and recalibrated. Jeez. Anyways, if someone sees, then .. they see. Borgrims actions remain, unless someone attacks him =)

    He will discard the cloak - if at all possible tossing it to a random street person.


    Borgrims natural reaction to a scuffle is .. disinterest. Sort it out - good on ya, he figures, walking past. Unless someone actively targets him, he'll shrug his shoulders and go looking for a large mug of ale.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-12-05 at 01:56 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa backs away from the tussling idiots as fast she can, wary not to spill her ale. Noticing the guards approaching, she stops in her tracks and gives them a wide berth.

    Yet, for a short instant, all this appears somewhat suspicious. She puts her back to the wall, opposite side of the street from the Silver Coin and readies herself to throw the contents of her mug into the eyes of anyone, guard, tavern brawler or roof-dwelling monster, approaching her menacingly.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    At the Hog and Frog

    César listens to Longtooth's recount with keen interest "Gods, it's always politics in this town!" he grumbles at a certain point, but lets the Sergeant continue.

    His mind starts working when DeAnna mentions the trafficking: "Movement of illicit magical goods... And I assume house Valentis doesn't want the whole thing investigated by us because it's their stuff that is being moved. They would prefer to solve things in-house, without anyone else getting involved. Uhmm... some sort of gem, you say? I wonder if some bauble is worth all this trouble..." Now, if one were to contact hose Valentis and offer help and discretion... it would be tricky, to be sure.

    He perks up even more when the witness is mentioned: "'No-Neck' Bronston of the Hanged. Charming name, to be sure. Uhm, he might have very valuable information indeed. Not easy to get hold of, I agree. But I might have a group of people in mind that could reach him. Expendables, as far as the Watch is concerned..." he says the last part in a descending tone of voice, almost lost in thought.

    César thanks the sergeant for what she was able to give him. "I'll take it from here, no need to get into trouble on my behalf". He flicks a coin to the innkeeper: "A round of me, it's the least I can do, but for when the shift ends. It would not do to muddle the senses of this city's finest".


    On Winding Street, Outside the Silver Coin
    Arriving at the scene, César would rather leave the three to their own tussle. However, spying the arrival of the patrol, he decides to step in and get involved. "Order! Order on the streets. Knock it off, you three." he says, knocking his baton on a nearby wooden post to get their attention. he also signals Borgrim to stand around, in case there's more trouble than he can handle.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So, I need a refresher on who's who: Lady Daria Valentis, Marak Greysteel, Lady Salancia (ruler), Captain Hopper. I'll hit the first OOC post to begin with. Let us know if there's more to be known.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-12-06 at 09:30 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  16. - Top - End - #376
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim doesn't even raise an eyebrow over a bunch of guys having a bit of a fight - but he does follow his comrades where they choose to go. So while he makes a face - sheesh, really?! - he turns back and joins César. He slings his sword from it's over-the-shoulder perch - doesn't unsheathe it - and just stands there, a .. very physical backup.

  17. - Top - End - #377
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Sorry old mate - frankly I need these more than you do he whispers - and then he turns and walks out the nearest exit like nothing untoward was going on.
    Despite a few fumbles and loud grunts, Borgrim manages to not attract any attention in the temple hall. Furtha does an admirable job of distracting the sole other worshipper by leaning heavily on the 'warm, friendly priest schtick'. Rubies secure, Borgrim makes a hasty exit and passes off his cloak to a nearby beggar, who offers a grumbly "Hur, thanks!".



    As Rosa keeps a half-eye trained on the potential shadowed shape on the roof, Mao nonchalantly strolls over to the side of the street below the overhang. He makes little effort to be stealthy, as who (or what) would suspect an ordinary cat? He sniffs at the air in between bathing himself {Perception: Success}. When Rosa takes a moment to sense through her familiar, she catches a whiff of the same smell as in the temple, now much stronger: were-crow, unmistakably.



    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Yet, for a short instant, all this appears somewhat suspicious. She puts her back to the wall, opposite side of the street from the Silver Coin and readies herself to throw the contents of her mug into the eyes of anyone, guard, tavern brawler or roof-dwelling monster, approaching her menacingly.
    One of the watchman, a burly human man, makes a motion as if to attempt to shove Rosa out of the way, but halts himself when he sees her stance. Instead, he raises his truncheon and points toward her with the sneer of a practiced sadist. "Oy! You watch yerself, bint!" He then turns his attention to the his half-hob companion and the brawlers. The two of them set upon the drunks with vigorous blows of their billy-clubs, and shouts of "Think ye can cause trouble on our street, eh? Well show ye!"

    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    Arriving at the scene, César would rather leave the three to their own tussle. However, spying the arrival of the patrol, he decides to step in and get involved. "Order! Order on the streets. Knock it off, you three." he says, knocking his baton on a nearby wooden post to get their attention. he also signals Borgrim to stand around, in case there's more trouble than he can handle.
    The two watchmen look up from their 'fun' when César calls out in authoritative voice. Seeing a ranking officer, they stop their beating, looking rather disappointed at being interrupted. The burly, sneering human speaks up to the three drunks. "Alright, you lot, get outa our sight, stay of the street fer the rest of the night. Let that be a lessin' to ya, eh! Git!" The watchman dusts off his hands, and gives César a quick salut, glancing toward Borgrim out of the corner of his eye. He nudges his half-hob companion in the ribs, and they mimic the salut. One of the drunks whines, "Oy, me nose is broke!" The half-hob watchman hisses, "Shut-it! Bugger off!"

    "Evenin', officer. Just tiddyin' up a few drunks, is all. What brings you out to our street, If I might ask?" The watchmen looks curiously at César, with the occasional peek at Borgrim. "Big lad. He a friend of yours? Course that's no business of mine, is it."

    As this goes on, Rosa hears a very faint scrabbling from the rough a house over, and looks up just in time to see a person-sized shadow -- wait, two shadows -- shift over the peak of the rough to the far side, out of sight (moving closer to the yellow-doored house).
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    It's all Rosa can do not to spit in the face of the truncheon waving 4sshole, but seeing the fake lieutenant is not far, she's satisfied with a baleful look. "Ain't done nothin', just enjoying my drink, sir," she adds, inflecting as much scorn as she can into that last word.

    She concentrates for a short instant, giving instructions to Mao.

    The cat comes down from the roof, and rubs herself agaisnt César's leg, before running towards the rough, stopping in the middle of the street, turning to look back at César, then continuing fast on his way.

    "Maybe that cat's got the right idea, should prob'bly respectfully get on my way off your street too."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Trying to signal César without giving too much of a hint to those guards.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-12-07 at 03:22 PM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    It takes a fraction of a second for César to realise the kind of watchmen he is dealing with. Not one to stir up trouble for nothing, he mentally switches gears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    "Oy, me nose is broke!"
    "And whose fault is it, uh? You should have sought of that before getting into a fight. Now, didn't you hear? Bugger off". he says to one of the drunk, unkindly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    "Evenin', officer. Just tiddyin' up a few drunks, is all. What brings you out to our street, If I might ask?" The watchmen looks curiously at César, with the occasional peek at Borgrim. "Big lad. He a friend of yours? Course that's no business of mine, is it."
    "Good work, keep it up. Always vigilant, that's our motto. Or some such. I am, of course on important business. It's need to know, I'm afraid". He turns towards Borgrim for a moment. "Him? Oh, yes, we are acquainted. He's by no mean an employee of mine, we are just travelling together. He helps me sometimes dealing with dead weights. If you know what I mean." he frame the last part as an inside joke, smiling a wicked smile.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    As this goes on, Rosa hears a very faint scrabbling from the rough a house over, and looks up just in time to see a person-sized shadow -- wait, two shadows -- shift over the peak of the rough to the far side, out of sight (moving closer to the yellow-doored house).
    "Well, lads, it was nice speaking with you. Keep up the good work." With that, he dismisses them and is on his way.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-12-09 at 05:31 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  20. - Top - End - #380
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "Good work, keep it up. Always vigilant, that's our motto. Or some such. I am, of course on important business. It's need to know, I'm afraid". He turns towards Borgrim for a moment. "Him? Oh, yes, we are acquainted. He's by no mean an employee of mine, we are just travelling together. He helps me sometimes dealing with dead weights. If you know what I mean." he frame the last part as an inside joke, smiling a wicked smile.


    "Well, lads, it was nice speaking with you. Keep up the good work." With that, he dismisses them and is on his way.
    The corporal squints at Cesar, and shares a quick sidelong look with his colleague. "Right, right. Well, we'll leave ye to it, then. Good watch." He gives a nod and a lazy salut. The two watchmen then turn their attention back to the brawlers.

    "Alright you lot, we'll be back around in a half-hour, if'n we see any of you, then you'll get the stick, and maybe a night in the box, eh? Right."

    The half-hob gives Borgrim a small nod, then the two watchmen saunter off down Winding Street, heading south, whistling and twirling their batons. The three drunks wander off, groaning occasionally from bruised ribs and bloodied noses.

    From above and to the north, Rosa hears two soft thumps, one after the other, as something lands on the roof of the yellow-door house. The near dark, and the low viewing angle from the ground prevents her from making out any detail, despite her infernally infused eyes.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    From the sound it's safe to assume the shadowed forms have crossed the small gap onto the yellow-door house. There's no sign of any activity from the house itself. Forgot to mention, the yellow-door house and the adjacent homes are all three stories high, with only a ~ two or three foot gap in between at roof height.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    As soon as the night watch is out of earshot, Rosa closes in with César and Borgrim.
    "No time: hag is home. Werecrow on the roof, two killers down in the streets. All converging on the hag. The cultists were watching their mark and now they're taking their shot."

    Rosa smiles: "I'll jump the assassins, should draw the werecrow's attention. Get ready to back me up!" Her grin widens into a wild slash across her face.

    Without waiting for answer, Rosa hustles towards where the shapes from the rough disappeared, crossbow and sword hidden under her cloak.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Counter ambush time?

    For now, trying to catch up with the humanoids, and watch what their doing. Not engaging if they're not. I remind the GM that Rosa cannot be surprised.
    Stealth - (1d20+8)[9], Perception - (1d20+5)[10],
    Initiative - (1d20+9)[16] because we all know this is going to come up pretty soon.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  22. - Top - End - #382
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    You assume they're here for her? I'd much more readily jump to the conclusion they work for her. I think we should hold back, until we know for sure.

  23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Already a few steps away, Rosa turns back and frowns at Borgrim. "Maybe. Probably not. Let's check."

    Further down the street, Mao climbs a gutter up to a roof next to the yellow door house's.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Even if Borgrim is right, it doesn't change Rosa's actions: get near and watch what those guys are doing.

    Anyways, now that we know my rolls, backing up would be cheating, wouldn't it?

    We know it's the cultists because the werecrow is with them. If they were working for her, why would they need a ritual to contact her? Why not just walk up to her door? If they were working for her, why sit on her house, and then spring into action once she's back AND the guards have walked past? They could have just walked in at any time if they weren't here to attack.

    Now, we could just sit back and watch how it happens, but who wants that? It's our chance at destroying opposition at a time they're not expecting us. Worse case, we try to grab a cultist and take him home for a private chat.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  24. - Top - End - #384
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Not for nothing is Borgrim known across the lands of men and beyond as the Grim Leaper! The buildings stand close in this area of town - at least some of them do - but it wouldn't do to get too close to the prey, so Borgrim will proceed to the rooftops himself, but picking one within leaping distance of the house with the yellow door.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Athletics: (1d20+6)[7]
    Stealth: (1d20+4)[10]

    Whoops. Dammit, where did all my good rolls go? I haven't rolled over 10 since ... two little boys was #1. (yay - christmas reference)


    Borgrim does his usual thing, trying basically to run straight up the wall, using sheer strength and a solid measure of overconfidence to boost himself 2-3 meters into the air in the blink of an eye. However, the wall is slippery, the grip he was aiming for insecure, and he misjudged the hight a bit too - all combining to an impressive jump, and an even more embarassing crash back to the ground.

    He recovers quickly, looking to all the world as if he's just some drunken fool stumbling about in the dark.

    .. bloody bother and bedevilment, theeshe pavemensh ain't fit fer .. pigs to wallow on, mush less a .. genshleman to take an evening schtroll ..
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-12-10 at 02:10 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wow, some bad stealth rolls here. Here's mine: stealth - (1d20+5)[22]
    Some awareness: perception - (1d20+7)[10]
    And finally initiative, if needed. init - (1d20+3)[9]

    César watches his companions bumble around as they prepare to ... counter-strike?
    "I wish I could match your subtlety, but I left my trombone at home today." he chides them, following them forward just one step behind. His raven leaves his shoulder to better scout ahead.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-12-10 at 12:06 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  26. - Top - End - #386
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    .. schubtlety my butt-lty .. if'n I'd been schlightly less drunk, I'd have given youse an ashwhoopin you'd not schoon forget!

  27. - Top - End - #387
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    After a brief and quiet conference, Rosa moves up the west side of the street toward the gap where she last saw the 'shadowy assassins'. César melds into the shadows and follows a few paces behind Rosa, after sending his raven upward to scout. When Rosa nears to within 60 feet of the gap, she stops dead as she spots a cloaked figure lean out of a shadow ahead. The figure is pressed against the southeast corner of the yellow-doored house, its attention focused on the aformentioned yellow door, its back currently toward Rosa and César. There is no sign of its companion.

    Rosa catches her foot on a bit of detritus in the gutter, and she freezes. The cloaked figure begins to turn in her direction, but at the very same moment Borgrim clatters to the ground across the street, having just failed at his overambitious attempt to run up a wall. The figure appears to tense for a moment, then turns back to the yellow door after it is convinced that Borgrim is simply a (relatively) harmless drunk, stumbling about. Borgrim moves further down the gap between the buildings, continuing his pantomime until he is out of sight of the cloaked figure, and begins a second, less ambitious climb attempt.

    Up above, Mao quickly and nimbly reaches the roof of the house directly adjacent the yellow-doored house, to the south. The unremarkable cat scans the roof to the north. Crouching in shadow beside a small attic window, Mao spies the shape of the 'werecrow'. The werecrow is also covered in a dark cloak, obscuring its features. As César's raven rises above the roof line, the werecrow glances in its direction, then turns back toward the window.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Rosa is ~60 feet south of the gap between the yellow-doored house and the house south of it. César is ~10 feet behind her.

    A cloaked figure stands partially in shadow where the gap meets the street, leaning around the corner to watch the yellow door.

    Mao is above on the roof of the house just south of the yellow-doored house. Mao the cat can see the werecrow near the attic window of the yellow-doored house to the north.

    Borgim is in between two houses on the east side of the street, more or less across from the yellow-doored house. The distance across the street at roof level is ~20 feet, a jump that Borgrim can make as long as he has a running start.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-12-10 at 08:03 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa, with her back against a wall, slithers a few steps back towards César.

    "What do you think? We wait for things to get confused, and we snatch that idiot in front of us for a private chat? Or do we go the whole way and help the hag? That Werecrow is on the roof, I don't think we can take it head on."

    Rosa looks towards the rooftops, and frowns. She closes her eyes for an instant, taking a deep breath.

    On the roof, Mao moves to stand in Borgrim's way, then sits in front of the half-orc.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Actually, I'm not going to explicit what Mao is doing. Either the player figures it out or not : P
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  29. - Top - End - #389
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim absent-mindedly pets the cat, while readying his huge sword. He stays low and out of sight, to avoid detection by any of the various parties - were-crow, potential assassins, the hag.

  30. - Top - End - #390
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The cloaked figure watching the door shifts its weight slightly. It moves its right arm beneath its cloak, as if resting a hand on the hilt of an unseen weapon.

    On the roof of the yellow-doored house, the 'werecrow' extends a hand and traces a finger around the edge of the small attic window. It then places a hand in the centre of the window pane, and waits. It tilts its shrouded head toward a dog barking in a nearby ally, then returns its attention to the window.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-12-12 at 10:25 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •