Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 391 to 420 of 452
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    César thinks back to what his friend DeAnna told him. "The idea of snatching the fool speaks to me, but I'd rather help the hag if possible: I really want to know what her plan is. Actually I'd rather snatch both intruders and come back another day, but it seems it's not in the cards." He pauses. "If we can take down the first one quietly enough, I believe I could impersonate him well enough inside the house to see what the other guy is up to before acting. What do you think?"
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-12-12 at 01:54 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa gives a single nod for all answer. As fast as that, she turns away from César.

    She slithers along the wall, shooting, reloading and shooting again, trying to close in time to catch her mark before he noisily falls to the ground.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Does Benésar have a way to deal damage silently?

    I'm operating under the assumption that I get a surprise round, and giving contingencies in case the enemy wins Init in round 1. I rolled a 16 Init in a previous post. I can reroll if needed.

    Surprise round:
    Shoot crossbow while closing 30ft, then bonus action to hide with Cunning action.
    Attack - (1d20+6)[7], Damage - (1d6+4)[9] (Extra attack - (1d20+6)[24], Critical damage - (1d6)[3].)
    Sneak attack - (1d6)[6]
    Hide - (1d20+8)[9]

    First round:
    If enemy wins Init and closes in: Disengage with Cunning action, then shoot, then move again, trying to attract him away from his buddies.

    If enemy loses Init, same drill has previous round, closing into hand to hand distance: if enemy is down, use bonus action to hide again.
    Attack - (1d20+6)[23], Damage - (1d6+4)[5] (Extra attack - (1d20+6)[8], Critical damage - (1d6)[3].)
    Sneak attack - (1d6)[1]
    Hide - (1d20+8)[20]
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The first of Rosa's quarrels impacts the cloaked figure squarely in the back. The figure stumbles against the corner of the house {15 piercing}. It turns and attempts to bring a small concealed crossbow to bear from underneath its cloak, but Rosa's second bolt thumps into its chest {Initiative: won, killing blow}. The figure drops the crossbow and slumps backwards against the wall. Life fades. Rosa manages to slow the figures decent to the ground, muffling any potential noise. This close, she notices that the figure appears to be human, but with uncharacteristic very grey skin.

    A moment or two later the 'werecrow' up on the roof seems to sense something amiss, and sweeps its gaze about the rooftops.

    Rosa looks down the ~2 foot gap between the yellow-doored house and its neighbour in time to see a cloaked figure at the far end begin to turn toward her.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Round 1, Rosa had surprise, and so hit the cloaked figure on the ground. Round 2, she had won initiative (rolls here), and so got her second shot off before the figure.

    I'll need a Dexterity (Stealth) check from Borgrim and Rosa, both succeeding on an 8 or above (the 'werecrow' and the third figure both rolled low ).

    I'll leave it up to iTookUrNick to decide what César did while Rosa attacked. If you wanted to have him move up behind Rosa, but stay hidden, for instance, that would work fine. But it can be anything that you think would fit.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  4. - Top - End - #394
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim scratches the cat under it's chin, causing a happy little purr - while watching events play out across the street. Keeping his head down and sticking to the shadows, he none the less get's ready to jump.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Stealth: (1d20+4)[14]

  5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa hooks her crossbow to her belt as she lunges forward to grab her enemy's weapon before it can clatter on the floor.

    With her shoulder behind his back and her sword arm around his waist, she tries to prop him standing in place, hoping a casual onlooker won't see a difference.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Successful Stealth roll in OoC thread.

    I can't believe this is working...
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    César is taken completely by surprise by this turn of events. "When I said... i meant, dunno, some sleeping powder, or a blow to the head." he whispers quietly to Rosa. "Well, no matter. Get him out of sight." he adds, seeing what Rosa is trying to do. "And bring back his stuff, if you can".

    He studies the man intensely before he is taken away, then copies his features on himself and positioning himself in its place.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cesar stands where the grey man was. After Rose and the body are out of sight, he casts Disguise self on himself. He keeps watch, ready for a signal of sort.
    If given time and opportunity, he will augment the disguise with real clothing and weapons from the grey guy.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-12-13 at 12:46 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  7. - Top - End - #397
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The 'werecrow' doesn't appear to notice either Borgrim or Mao. The two remain crouched and concealed by shadow on the roof across the street. The 'werecrow' turns its attention back to the small attic window, and then begins to creep across the roof, very slowly making its way toward the north-east edge.

    Down below, Rosa props up the grey-skinned human in a convincing enough fashion. The cloaked figure down the gap glances toward the human manikin, and then turns away and steps back around the far corner of the house, out of sight. César's raven watches as the figure turns the corner, but then wheels about to continue its circling. Rosa quickly pulls the unconscious human away from the gap, back toward César. César sets about casting his spell, muttering a few words and tracing symbols in the air. When he finishes, he's disguised himself in a serviceable likeness of the victim. Rosa hands him the fellow's cloak and crossbow, and César takes up the grey-skinned humans previous position.

    Glancing down at his feet, César notices a small curl of copper wire on the ground, presumably dropped by the grey human when he was attacked. A second later César hears a voice whisper into his ear, speaking in a stilted Elvish dialect:

    Spoiler: Elvish, César
    Show

    "Fellow corvex, any sign of our quarry? Patera Corax senses her moving inside. Please report.


    The whisper ends as if waiting, expectantly.

    South down Winding Street, several more loud, inebriated patrons spill forth from the Silver Coin. They prop themselves up together and sing enthusiastically out of key: "Did ya heaaaaar, what happened... ta Jen-ny Drooooee?..." As they sing, they stumble their way north, heading along the street in the direction of Rosa and César.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-12-14 at 12:49 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  8. - Top - End - #398
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Boredom is slowly but steadily wearing Borgrim down. He remains in cover and out of sight, but his mind starts to wonder. Since he's heard the song before, he mutters along with the next line: She was out, one evening, down by the keye .. Meanwhile, he's looking at where to jump from, and where to land. It would be embarrasing to not make the jump and fall.

  9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa turns still as she hears chants. Then she figures they're getting closer. "Sh!t," mutters Rosa under her breath. She looks around, trying to figure out somewhere she can both drag her hemorrhaging mark and hide from attention.

    She looks to César in despair. "There's nowhere to drag him with so many people around."

    Again she turns her head this way and that, more in a state of agitation than anything else. Should have thought this out before running in like a headless chicken, whispers the Master, And you wanted him dead! Blood spilling out and attracting more blood! Now you need to kill more of them! chants, with glee, the Slayer inside Rosa's head.

    Her jaw clenches and her face contracts. "You go forward and yell if you need help. I'll figure something out."

    She lets the man down where she stands, yanks her bolts out. With her dagger, she tears pieces of the man's garb to make bandages. She then starts trying to compress the guy's wounds.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    See both my OOC posts. I rolled a 6 on perception... Whatever, I guess Rosa feels culprit now that César called her out on her murder. She's going to try to bring the guy back, even if means getting caught red-handed.

    Going further down the alley would seem the right idea. If the revelers are far enough, maybe another alley (not any of those right next to the yellow-doored house) or the rough seem like good choices. It's also a question of how much time Rosa has, how heavy that bleeding guy is, how dark it is, etc. EDIT: I wanted to roll perception here but I failed...

    I'd rather not stay right next to the yellow-doored house with a dying guy, but I'd prefer that to be seen by anyone.


    Also, I want to take this occasion to thank whoever it was who coded that spell-checker into my web browser. Correctly spelling hemorrhaging is far beyond my skills.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-12-14 at 04:35 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    César concentrates on the copper wire:
    Spoiler: Elvish
    Show
    "No sign of our quarry from here. But a group of drunks is headed towards my position. I need to relocate." He manages to make the tone slightly expectant, in case he is supposed to take orders or coordinate more tightly, but any response will do.

    He glances at Rosa, now frantically bandaging the guy. "That's good enough: we still have live targets. We have to move. Just dump him somewhere out of the way and follow."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Things are happening now! let me know if I need to roll. Or roll directly, you know I don't mind.
    Note that good enough is a measure of effort in this case, not results.
    Also, we need to get hold of those wires.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-12-14 at 11:49 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa nods to César. "That piece of copper is a focus for a Message spell. You need to whisper for it to be effective."

    She props the bleeder in a sitting posture, using some alley garbage to keep him hidden.

    She prepares to follow César from a short distance, keeping to the darkest shadows, sword and crossbow in hand, hidden under her cloak.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Rosa knows that spell, and I already regret not targeting Borgrim earlier. Seems logical she would figure it out right away.

    Keeping 15 to 20ft back from César, taking good care of staying hidden, Stealth - (1d20+8)[14].
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Cèsar repeats the message in a whisper, then proceeds cautiously.
    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Is getting inside an option?
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-12-14 at 07:06 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa blinks a couple time. Your pedantic lecture about the most trivial of cantrips could be returned to its author, whispers the Master, with much scorn, take a cue from those far better organized miscreants.

    Rosa grits her teeth. She fishes inside her pockets for a bent and verdigris-gnawed piece of copper wire. She waves it around and points her finger in the general direction she figures Borgrim and the cat are crouching. She whispers: "Rosa here, can you hear? Took one out, the Baron is impersonating him, trying to follow them inside the house. Reply in low whispers."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Message works differently than in 3.X. I realize now I didn't need to cast it before hand as in previous editions. The spell is sttill somewhat ambiguous, but it seems to me that you can actually cast it without line of sight to the target, and the spell will try to reach them, going as far as 120ft, working its way around obstacles.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  14. - Top - End - #404
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Gah! Foul sorcery! Begone, evil demon .. or, wait, is that you, Rosa? Hi! This is still foul sorcery, though. You know, it really seems these guys are trying to attack the hag, which .. seems to indicate that there's some sort of evil vs evil confrontation going on here. That's assuming the crow cult are evil, are we sure they're evil? Where is a paladin when you need him, right? Or her.

    Say, do you want me to leap over there and cleave that werecrow in twain like a log for the fireplace? I could do that in a moment, hang on ...


    Borgrim, starved for entertainment, begins plotting his leap. If he can time it just right, the jump isn't that hard, and he may even be able to land silently, and surprise the werecrow ....

  15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Even in whispers, Rosa's annoyance is clear. "Listen, don't rush in, I repeat, do. Not. Rush. In. You'll trigger a fight and we won't be able to learn why exactly they've come here."
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  16. - Top - End - #406
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Oh, come on - you know how it is, right? The villains always have something on them that reveals them .. I dunno, a tattoo, or written orders, or a sack of foreign coin, a holy symbol of some absurd cult. Never fails.

    Are you sure we can't just .. you know, have it out and be done with it?

  17. - Top - End - #407
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Another stilted whisper speaks into Cesar's ear:
    Spoiler: Elvish
    Show
    Understood. Patera Corax has sensed her wards; they prepare to flush her out. Keep watch on the front threshold if possible.


    The drunks continue on their way past the yellow-doored house, paying absolutely no mind to the gap between buildings -- deep in shadow -- where Rosa and Cesar are concealed. "Oh, she slipped on a- a- a- barnacle, and tumbled he-aaad over heaaaaalss..."

    As they pass, Borgrim can see the 'werecrow' on the roof move to perch on the very edge of the north-east corner. It sits like a vulture, leaning over to watch the street and gap below. It appears to glance at the drunks as they pass, but is clearly not interested in them. It begins to perform elaborate movements with its arms, and then appears as though it is holding something in place. It's whole body is tense as it keeps watch on the street below.

    In the gap between houses, Cesar looks up and down looking for any accesses into the yellow-doored house. There are no windows or doors in the gap wall, but he recalls two shuttered windows on the ground floor, street side (as well as the eponymous yellow door). As well, there were less secure windows on the second and third floors of the street front. Presumably, there was a back entrance, likely watched by the second assassin, and possibly windows at the back as well. The unconscious assassin groans slightly but does not stir.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    Cèsar repeats the message in a whisper, then proceeds cautiously.

    Is getting inside an option?
    As mentioned above, there aren't any access points (except on the roof-top, through the attic window) on the side walls of the house. The ground floor windows facing the street were heavily shuttered, and it's safe to assume that the yellow door itself is latched, at the very least. The second and third floor windows were not shuttered. It's also safe to assume there's a back entrance to the house (near where the second assassin disappeared around the corner).

    Whether Cesar decides to return to the front of the house (Winding Street side) or make his way along the gap to the back of the house and the alley there, I'd like a Wisdom (Perception) check from him.

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Message works differently than in 3.X. I realize now I didn't need to cast it before hand as in previous editions. The spell is sttill somewhat ambiguous, but it seems to me that you can actually cast it without line of sight to the target, and the spell will try to reach them, going as far as 120ft, working its way around obstacles.
    That agrees with my reading of the spell as well. Seems like as long as the spell is used outside, it should be able to make it's way around most obstacles. It's really only restrictive when using it inside and trying to message through walls.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-12-16 at 12:12 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  18. - Top - End - #408
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim's brow wrinkles - I wonder how long foul sorcery remains in effect?! Really, I should just turn the thing into a giant roast chicken. Mmm-mm, roast chicken. Would eating it be cannibalism? Is there such a thing as were-cannibals? Oh, but maybe it turns back to human when it dies. Meh, disappointing.

    Rosa, you still there? I think the werecrow is also a foul sorceror. I think it just cast a spell. Holding something in place? Maybe it's summoned a daemon to keep the front door closed, in case the hag tries to flee that way? Hey, once we're done here, can we go find some food? I find myself really in the mood for chicken.

  19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Mao's ears perk up when Borgrim mentions food. The cat starts rubbing itself against the half-orc, emitting a soft purr.

    To Rosa it seems that when things come to Borgrim, it is sometimes better to ignore him. From the corner of her eye, Rosa notices a reddish glint from near her sword-guard. And only now do you remember this, chides the Master.

    Rosa gives a dry sigh as she puts the copper wire back into a pocket. She prolongs her spell, using Nicodemus' ruby as a focus.

    "Yeah, chicken for you, I'm more in a fish mood really. I know a place," she answers casually.

    She catches up with César and lightly touches his arm to get his attention. "Werecrow on roof casting some spell to hold something in place. Do you want me to take that second guy out while the crow is busy?"
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    César thinks for a moment, then nods affirmatively. "I'll handle communications with the crow. You stay vigilant."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  21. - Top - End - #411
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The singers continue on their way northward, oblivious to the rest of the night around them. César pads back to the front corner of the yellow-doored house and leans out, looking up and down the street. He catches sight of another cloaked figure, this one positioned north of the yellow-doored house {Perception: success}. It stands partially in a doorway on the west side of the street. As César leans out, the figure looks in his direction and signals to him, pointing toward the yellow door. The cloaked figure nods its head at César and brings forth a small crossbow from beneath its cloak.

    Above, César's raven spots a second cloaked figure (possibly the 2nd assassin) positioned at the back of the house, at the north-west corner. It wheels through the twilight sky.

    Looking toward the roof of the yellow-doored house, Borgrim, Mao, and the raven watch as the 'werecrow' releases the tension from its body. Two shadowy blobs coalesce out of the night. The dog-sized forms appear on either side of the small attic window, which now has begun to give off a faint glow. The light increases for a few moments, until it suddenly stops and the round window pane falls outward onto the roof. The pane of glass skitters down the sloped roof and over the edge, plummeting into the gap between the houses. The glass shatters on the ground ten feet to Rosa's left with a crashing tinkle. The unconscious assassin remains unconscious.

    On the roof, the first of the two vague shadow-shapes moves over the attic window ledge and into the house. It's only half-way in, however, when it begins to jolt and judder. Sparks leap off of it and wisps of smoke rise from its body. Borgrim and Mao can hear a faint crackling and popping like festival sparklers. Then the shuddering of the creature stops. It collapses and falls into the house, motionless. The second shadow-form proceeds to step over its twin and moves into the house without any incident, out of sight of Borgrim, Mao, and César's raven.

    From within the house, César can hear the faint sounds of thumping footsteps.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I'm assuming Rosa and César are checking in with their familiars periodically, so we can assume that they've seen what is described above. Let me know if there's anything more that you would like clarified or described.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-12-16 at 11:02 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Borgrim," whispers Rosa, "I'm going after another one of these idiots. Be ready to move in if you value your roasted chicken. They serve it with a great wine sauce at this place near the Market. If my guy gives the alert, try to jump the one on the roof."

    Rosa watches the Baron takes a peek behind the house's corner and quietly signals her. She nods, then slowly creeps to the other end of the alley, loaded crossbow in one hand and sword in the other, readying herself to turn the corner and go after the assassin watching the back door.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm supposing César signals that third guy he just spotted before Rosa moves in.

    Same drill as last time, except this time Rosa tries to close in to knock out the enemy.

    Surprise round:
    Shoot crossbow while closing 30ft, then bonus action to hide with Cunning action.
    Attack - (1d20+6)[25], Damage - (1d6+4)[5] (Extra attack - (1d20+6)[19], Critical damage - (1d6)[6].)
    Sneak attack - (1d6)[6]
    Hide - (1d20+8)[27]

    First round:
    Initiative - (1d20+8)[26]
    If enemy wins Init and closes in: Try to knock him out with sword.
    If enemy loses Init, close into hand to hand distance and try to knock enemy out.
    Attack - (1d20+6)[17], Damage - (1d4+4)[7] (Extra attack - (1d20+6)[19], Critical damage - (1d4)[1].)
    Sneak attack - (1d6)[5]

    If enemy is down, use bonus action to hide again.
    If enemy stays up, Disengage with Cunning action and try to move behind cover.
    Hide - (1d20+8)[27]
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  23. - Top - End - #413
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa rounds the corner to the back of the yellow-doored house, crossbow levelled. She spots the 2nd cloaked assassin half-shrouded in shadow, preoccupied with watching the back door. Rosa aims, loosing a quarrel which embeds itself into the assassin's side {Hit: 11 Piercing}. As soon as the projectile leaves her crossbow, Rosa dives to the side, sliding behind the trunk of a shadowed elm. The assassin staggers and brings forth a small crossbow of its own, but fails to spy Rosa through the dark and shadows. Waiting for the right moment, Rosa springs from cover, batting aside the assassin's crossbow as it attempts to defend itself. In the same movement, she delivers a swift and decisive blow with the hilt of her sword to the assassin's jaw {Hit: Knockout}. The cloaked human collapses into a heap in the alley.

    Successful (as far as she can tell), Rosa slinks back into the shadows. She positions herself in the alley behind the yellow-doored house, twenty or so feet north of the back door.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    As she knocks the second assassin out, the Slayer whimpers in her head: Why no blood! Not fair!

    Rosa puts her back against the wall and freezes, pushing the voice away, forcing awareness from all her senses.

    Once satisfied there's no immediate threat, she concentrates on Mao's vision. Then, she waves her hand again and points her finger towards Borgrim's roof. "Put that second guy to bed. There's a third one left on the other side of the house. I'll check on the Baron, see what he thinks."

    Once Borgrim has answered, she casts again, pointing towards César's corner. "Is the third guy still in place? Do I take him out? Then we could try to see if their leader is open to parlay."

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Not concentrating on anything specific, trying to stay aware of surroundings.
    Perception - (1d20+5)[10]
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Cèsar hears Rosa's message. He takes a moment to reply to her "I do not think I can do it by myself without making a scene. If you think you can manage it, go for it. It would be ideal."
    Then he signals the other guy to move towards the yellow door. As they approach, he gestures towards the other guy and the door, then points two fingers at his own eyes and around. It should be clear enough.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  26. - Top - End - #416
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    So, is it go time? It's go time! Right?

    ...

    Hello, Rosa? Are you still there?


    Skin crawling with impatience, Borgrim peeks over the rim of the roof, at the werecrow. It's go time. She said so, right? Right. I think that's what she meant.

    Holding his sword just above the crossguard, he gets ready to jump.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-12-19 at 07:36 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    To Borgrim: "What! No! Well... I don't know! Ask the Baron! Do you want chicken or not? I'm doing my part do yours!"
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  28. - Top - End - #418
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    But isn't my part to jump off tall things and impale enemies on sharp steel? Borgrim wonders. Out loud, he replies: But how can I ask César? Do you want me to shout?

  29. - Top - End - #419
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa moves a little way down the gap between the yellow-doored house and the house to the north. She sees the third assassin move past the mouth of the gap, but does not have time to take a shot. The third assassin nods in reply to César's gestures. They move into position in front of the yellow door, crossbow at the ready. Lifting up their left hand to face the door, the assassin opens its mouth to speak, but before it can do so a thumping of footsteps can be heard from within the house, moving nearer the front.

    The steps grow louder, accompanied by a muffled scream, and then a second-story slams open. A young woman, which Rosa identifies as the maid she spotted earlier while keeping watch on the house, leaps from the window into the street below. She lands with little grace, but keeps her feet under her, and a moment later sets off at a sprint, northward along Winding Street. The assassin steps quickly away from the yellow door, whirling about and shooting at the maid's back. The small quarrel finds its mark, whizzing to strike the fleeing maid in the left shoulder blade. The maid lets out a small grunt of pain but doesn't break her stride.

    A few moments later the shadow-blob creature emerges from the opened second-story window, following in the maids footsteps. It is considerably larger now, standing four or so feet tall. Its shape remains indistinct apart from five shifting pseudopod-like legs. The shadow creature lands heavily as it drops from the window, its body deforming in a disturbing fashion. It gathers itself together and sets off after the maid. It gets barely a few steps, however, when the yellow door bursts open. The doorman, dressed only in a nightgown and matching cap, strides out into the street with a long, brightly polished sword in one hand and a hastily lit lamp in the other.

    "GUARDS! WATCHMEN! To me! Murder! Murder! Foul creatures are afoot, good people! Have at you, demon!"

    The doorman doesn't take any notice of César. Focused on the shadow-blob, he steps with purpose toward the creature, sword held high. The creature seems to hesitate. As the doorman approaches, it shrinks away from the bright light of the lamp.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I'll roll Initiative for the werecrow here, and if Borgrim wants to act before it does, please make an Initiative check to see who goes first. Then I'll retcon the were crow's actions if need be.

    WCInitiative - (1d20+3)[22]

    If you think that Borgrim was literally about to jump, then I'll consider him making the jump before the werecrow regardless of initiative.

    If either Rosa or César want to take combat actions, roll initiative. Both will have a chance to act before the assassin on the ground acts again.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-12-20 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Moved werecrow action to after Borgrim's, in subsequent post.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  30. - Top - End - #420
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim leaps from his hiding spot like a proverbial bat out of hell. He thunders across the roof, massive thighs propelling him in a giant leap straight across the street. His warcry is considerably less wordy than the doorman's, but for all that, carries a weight of decibels that shakes the windows two blocks over.

    RRAAAHHH!!! he growls, landing on the opposite roof, and rushes at the werecrow, giant sword in hand, having every intention to carve it neatly into ribbons and wear them for garters. Not that Borgrim wears garters - or any other sort of underwear - or really any type of real clothing. But still.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •