Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 421 to 450 of 493
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim lands solidly on the roof of the yellow-doored house. He carries his momentum and turns like a great cat toward the where the werecrow is perched. The werecrow, whose pointed beak is just visible beneath the cowl of its cloak, only has time to turn to face the roaring barbarian before Borgrim is upon it. He cuts mightily at the crow-man with his bronze axe, the blade catching the starlight and seeming, for an instant, to glow like gold. The first strike slices into the werecrow's shoulder {Hit: 14 Dam}. The second narrowly misses decapitating the crow-man outright, but it ducks beneath the arcing axe just in time {Hit: 10 Dam}.

    The werecrow responds by pulling a bit of fur and a smooth, black rock, and throwing them at Borgrim's feet.

    "Niwl tywyll!"

    Borgrim's vision goes completely dark as inky blackness spreads outward from where the rock impacts at his feet. Not even a single point of light reaches his eyes. He blinks, once, twice, but all that surrounds him is the deep black of utter darkness. He hears the shift of a footstep on shingle and swings toward it wildly, but makes no contact with his axe.

    Up above, César's raven watches as an inky patch of pure dark, 30 feet across, envelopes Borgrim and the werecrow. A few moments later the werecrow emerges, leaping northward to the neighbouring roof, and then setting off at a brisk pace to follow the fleeing maid.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Initiative so far: Werecrow 22, Borgrim 13.

    Borgrim is enveloped be magical darkness which over-rides his darkvision, so he is effectively blinded and wouldn't know the extent of the darkness. He'd have a decent idea of how far the edges of the roof are. I ruled that being blind, and the werecrow not making much noise, Borgrim wouldn't be able to make an effective Attack of Opportunity, even at disadvantage.

    Mao would see something similar to César's raven, but Rosa would need to take an action to see through her familiar's eyes.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-12-21 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Description of darkness: spreads, is not instant.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Sh!t," exclaims Rosa. Yes yes yes! exclaims the Slayer.

    She runs through the alley, exiting into the street. She is confused by the scene and hesitates. Which one of the four creatures should she shoot: Which one of the cloaked guys is César? Who's that guy with the sword wearing pajamas? What's the nature of the shadow creature? "What the fůck."

    Rosa just shoots the shadow creature then runs up the street after the maid.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Run out of the alley, shoot, Cunning action to Dash faster and ever faster after the maid. Tell me whether and when Rosa manages to catch up.

    Rolls are here.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    César decides the time of caution dissimulation is probably past. As the other assassin has his back to him, he lets loose a beam of eldritch energy, aiming in between the shoulder blades, and starts to run in the direction of the maid.

    Spoiler: AttackRoutine
    Show
    Ben: hit - (1d20+6)[21], hitExtra - (1d20+6)[26] if advantage, ForceDMG - (1d10+4)[9] with Eldritch Blast, range 180ft

    If the assassin is down, great. If not, César will shoot again. His initiative is fairly high. In the meantime, he moves.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  4. - Top - End - #424
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa's shot flies well wide of the mark and skitters across the cobbles on the other side of the street {Miss}. Dashing north along Winding Street, she nearly catches up with the fleeing maid.

    César's eldritch blast catches the third assassin completely unawares. The magic strikes heavily into his back with Fwoosh! The assassin gasps out "Urk!" and topples forward onto the cobbles {Critical!: 14 Force}. César runs after the maid, ten or so feet behind Rosa.

    The doorman calls out as they pass: "Knaves! Stand, and give yourselves up to the watch! Face justice, miscreants!"

    He dares not follow, however, preoccupied as he is with the shadow-creature. He hacks at it with his sword, cutting at it with practised composure. He manages to get a solid cut at the creature. The blob, for its part, shies away from the light but still attempts a few half-hearted swipes at the doorman, one of which manages to sneak past the doorman's parry. The pseudopod necrotizes the skin where it makes contact, and the doorman gives a sharp cry of pain and recoils.

    The three drunks look back toward the shouting doorman, and blink it bleary eyed surprise at the shadow-creature. The first shakes his head and addresses his friends: "Ah, we've 'ad too much ta drink, we 'ave! Heh heh! Best be off home, lads!" They turn away and stumble on, paying no mind to the maid, Rosa, or César.

    Far to the south on Winding Street, the distant sound of a watch whistle can be heard.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    César's Crit Roll

    Round 1 Finished.

    Round 2 Initiative: César, 23. Rosa, 17. Borgrim, 13. Werecrow, 12. Maid, 11. Doorman/Blob, 8.

    Rosa will be able to catch up to the maid this coming round (round 2). She's about ten feet behind at the start of the round.

    Also, in case it comes up, the gap between the yellow-doored house's roof and the roof to the north is only about 5 feet. Borgim would be able to make the jump (even in complete darkness) without a check, but he'd need to make a DC 10 Strength (Athletics) check in order to land on his feet.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-12-21 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Shifted Werecrow's Initiative to better represent when it acted in round 1
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  5. - Top - End - #425
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    A bit of darkness is nothing to Borgrim - or at least, so he tells himself. His instincts will guide him. He visualises the roof around him, seeing every chimney pipe, every lose tile, every slippery patch. Then, without delay, he pounds after the werecrow. When he reaches the edge of the roof, he leaps elegantly across, and once he's out of the spells effect, he redoubles his speed to catch the 'were.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Athletics: (1d20+4)[8] - eh, it's only +4 actually +6. I stand corrected, now that MW works again.

    The creature should be in range, right? It cast a spell, so it only has normal movement. Thus:
    Attack: (1d20+6)[8] or (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[7]

    Bonus action to attack again:
    Attack: (1d20+6)[22] or (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[7]

    I believe for once I'm not forgetting anything important. If the athletics roll fails, I'll .. I dunno, toss myself off a bridge. Edit: A small one. I don't suppose there's a +2 situational modifier for speed? Or unusual confidence? Quality footwear? I have advantage on Strength checks. Athletics is a strength check. Also, I do have +6, so I make the roll regardless. Apparently, I cannot read my goddamn character sheet. Ok, all good then. I'll still reroll in the OOC - because I can :p
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-12-21 at 02:10 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Even while moving in pursuit, César slows down to whisper the fleeing maid a Message. "So that you know, we took out the Werecrow's allies and disguised ourselves. The big guy on the roofs is with us, too. We want information, not bloodshed. If you manage to run in a quiet place, we might work something out."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa overtakes the maid and stops for a heartbeat, turning back and raising her crossbow. "We're here to help!"

    She shoots her weapon towards the stalker on the roof. "Here's the enemy!"

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Show don't tell. Our words might sound empty, but our acts speak.

    Rosa will try to follow the maids lead, in a way to stay between here and the Werecrow. Dash as bonus action.

    Attack - (1d20+6)[7], Damage - (1d6+4)[6] (Extra - (1d20+6)[26], Critical damage - (1d6)[2].)

  8. - Top - End - #428
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The maid barely slows her stride. César's and Rosa's words cause her to hesitate momentarily, but then she shakes her head in a wild no {Persuasion: failure}.

    "You're just trying to trick -*huff*- me! I don't believe you! That one doesn't look any different to me!" She shouts, pointing at César. She redoubles her running, and continues north along Winding Street, glancing back at Rosa every few strides.

    "Leave m'alone!"

    Up above on the roof, the werecrow spins and brings forth a curved knife in an attempted block. Borgrim powers through the defence, however, slicing into the man-crow's arm {Hit: 7 slashing}. It cries out, almost birdlike, in pain. It then ducks as it catches sight of Rosa aiming her crossbow. The duck proves unnecessary as Rosa's bolt flies very wide of its target, bouncing off of the roof tile several feet away {Miss}.

    The werecrow looks between César, Rosa, and the maid down on the street, and Borgrim, standing ferociously atop the roof. It disengages from Borgrim, wary of his bloodied axe, and then skips off the western edge of the roof into the alley below. Borgrim hears a rustle of feathers as the werecrow descends, and then a soft tick tack as it makes contact with the cobbled alley.

    Back down the street, the doorman continues to press the attack against the shadow creature, unfazed by the blob's necrotic touch. He lands another strike against it while dancing outside of its reach.

    "Is that all you can muster, foul creature of the night? Taste steel, and perish! Watch! To me!"

    Further down the street to the south, the sounds of the watchmen grow louder as they approach.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    César's Charisma (Persuasion) check is HERE. Sorry about the bad roll.

    César and Rosa are of course able to continue to try and convince the fleeing maid of their sincerity.

    Borgrim will need to roll a Wisdom (Perception) check if he wishes to look over the edge of the roof into the alley to see where the werecrow may have gone.

    ROUND 3 Initiative: César, 23. Rosa, 17. Borgrim, 13. Werecrow, 12. Maid, 11. Doorman/Blob, 8
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-12-23 at 10:32 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Go help Borgrim with the were crow, we should make sure he doesn't get away or he's going to be trouble." César says to Rosa "I'll handle this one."

    He dismisses his disguise and speaks to the fleeing maid with firm conviction: "I do not know if this is any better, but I will tell you one time and one time only now. In the name of the Law and all that is Just in this city" witch admittedly isn't much, he thinks "I order your to stop where you and make yourself available for questioning or be labelled a fugitive and be treated as such. Do not test my patience any further, creature."

    Spoiler: roll
    Show
    persuasion - (1d20+6)[21], persuasionExtra - (1d20+6)[9] using the tides of chaos or the human power if not used today (I think I used them yesterday, but I am not sure).
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-12-24 at 02:08 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa frowns at César. It seems she's going to refuse him: "You're not..." Yet her voice trails off as she looks towards the coming guardsmen, then takes a second look towards the rooftops. "Sh!t, I guess you're right. Watch that squad: Bullies, more than certainly crooked, I don't like them."

    With that, she runs towards the nearest alleyway, finds cover, and tries to borrow Mao's senses.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Still acting in rounds? Move behind cover, Cunning action to Stealth, standard action to use familiar's senses.
    Rosa Stealth - (1d20+8)[26] + advantage for darkness? Extra - (1d20+8)[24]
    Mao Perception - (1d20+3)[9] + advantage for scent? Extra - (1d20+3)[17]

    The goal is for Mao to either visually find the target. Failing that, the cat will try to catch the werecrow's scent.

    If all goes well, on her next action, Rosa will message Borgrim with either the location of their target or to follow the cat.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  11. - Top - End - #431
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    At César's words the maid slides to a stop on the cobblestones and spins with a glare in her eye {Persuasion: Success}.

    "Creature? Creature!? Who are you to call me creature? The nerve! I've been shot--" she pulls the small quarrel from her shoulder, and throws it angrily to the ground, "--and you have the gall to call me creature? Why, I've ne'er been so insulted in my life! But why should I expect anything else from those that call themselves the watch in this sorry excuse for a city."

    The maid casts a furtive glance up and down the street. Seeing no sign of any other threats, she un-bristles slightly. She looks César up and down, and seems to consider him fully for the first time. She catches her breath and continues.

    "Alright, watchman, if you keep those other louts away--" she indicates the distant, approaching watch "-- I'll consider your questions. Don't know what a house maid can help you with anyhow."

    The maid places her hands on her hips and taps her foot impatiently.



    Meanwhile, Rosa peels off to the left to the west side of Winding street and ducks into a gap between two houses (Borgrim being situated on the house to the south). She moves a short way toward the back alley, then focuses on sensing through her familiar. Up above, Mao, who had followed behind Borgrim a short way, looks over the edge of the roof into the back alley below. Thirty feet to the south of Borgrim, Mao spots the werecrow hiding in a shadowed alcove at the back of a building.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I'll keep to rounds for Rosa and Borgrim as long as they are actively pursuing the werecrow.

    So Mao sees the werecrow thirty feet along the alley from where Borgrim would be if he were to jump straight down from the roof.

    Rosa is halfway along the gap between the street and the alleyway. The point where the gap opens up to the alleyway is north of where the werecrow is hidden. More or less like this:

    Code:
    |  |#####|     |
    |    R
    |  |#####|     |
    |  |#####|  c m|
    |  |B####|     |
    |  |#####|     |
    |  |#####|     |
    |  |#####|     |
    |  |M####|     |
    |  |#####|     |
    |w |#####|     |
    |  |#####|     |
    R=Rosa, B=Borgrim, c=César, m=Maid, M=Mao, w=werecrow. |=wall, #=roof
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-12-24 at 03:35 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa comes back to herself. The ruby on her sword glitters as she points a finger towards the roof nearby, but hesitates to complete the spell. She lowers her finger towards the alcove. She whispers once again: "Giving you a chance to talk this out. We're after information. Don't care that much about people in that house."

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Sorry. I planned to reveal his position to Borgrim, but now that we have him pinned, we can try to leverage that for answers.

    Cast Message on the Werecrow, then move to the alley corner and use Cunning action to hide there, ready to lean and shoot from behind the corner.
    Stealth - (1d20+8)[18]
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "As maids go, you seem to be on the resilient side..." comments César, but leaves it at that.
    "As for those... louts, as you call them, they really are a nuisance to deal with. Arrogant idiots, the whole lot. I can pull rank over them, but I'd find it less bothersome to simply avoid them. It should not be too hard, but if they do approach us let me do most of the talking. Do not run under any circumstance"
    He makes a gesture with his arm, pointing to a side alley that would let them return to the maid's house via a roundabout route. "Shall we?" He keeps the maid in in sights at all times.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  14. - Top - End - #434
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim doesn't miss a beat. As the werecrow disappears from view, he pounds right after - and it isn't until he's actually going over the edge of the roof, that he plots his way down. Deep in his soul, he never doubted there'd be some way for him to keep up. As he clears the edge, he sees a balcony, and leaps for that. While in the air, he spots a line of washing that he can reach from the balcony, which in turn will let him swing down onto a wagon, from which he can jump to the street.

    What he doesn't see is the werecrow. But he isn't worried. Determination is more important than knowledge, and he is nothing if not determined.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    (1d2)[2] 1=south - 2=north

    That's right, right? There's only one right, and one wrong way to go?


    Barely even skipping off the roof of the wagon, he drops to the street, rolls, and runs north with a blood curdling warcry .....!
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-12-27 at 03:46 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa's head drops and she gives a silent sigh as Borgrim runs past her, and with him her leverage. Yet, she doesn't try to stop him yet, warry of revealing her position.

    Instead she adds in a whisper: "Your squad can't help you, they've been handled."

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    The werecrow might well believe himself surrounded. He should realize his squad is gone. Borgrim running away from him may well be construed as a show of good faith. Or he may think we're lucky amateurs running around like headless chicken unable to fly from the seat of their pants, which is closer to reality.

    Well, I guess it's time for a persuasion roll: Charisma - (1d20+2)[6].
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  16. - Top - End - #436
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim rushes north down the alley away (unbeknownst to him) from the hiding werecrow. Rosa sends out a magical message toward the werecrow's crouching spot, but her only reply is silence {Charisma, failure}.

    Above, Mao and the Raven watch as the werecrow melds and dissipates into shadow. César's raven, wheeling above, tries to spy out the werecrow's new position, but to no avail {Perception: failure}

    The maid looks askance at César, then glances south along Winding Street toward the approaching watchmen. Coming to some sort of discussion, she sighs, shrugs, and steps into the alley at César's behest. "Well, what did you have to ask? Are you sure there aren't any more of those vagabonds about?

    In front of the yellow-doored house, the doorman presses the attack. After a wild cut which misses its mark, the shadow-blob begins to lose cohesion and spreads out onto the cobbles, where it soon becomes no more than an oily slick.

    "Ha! Scurry back to the Nether, devil! You're no match for true steel, eh?" The doorman prods at the dwindling pool with the tip of his sword. Satisfied, he turns to take a quick glance at the fallen assassin. "Poor fellow, this ones dead." He looks up to address the approaching watch.

    "Good folk of the watch, have you spied any other cutthroats about? One lies dead here, but I don't know where the ones who slew him got off to. Keep vigilant!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    The werecrow blinks from its current position, and César's raven didn't manage to spot its new hiding spot (assuming it's still nearby). Rosa will have to use her action to look through Mao if she wants to know whether her familiar can see the werecrow.

    The watchmen are now nearly at the front of the yellow-doored house.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-12-29 at 03:01 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  17. - Top - End - #437
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Doubt tries to worm and wiggle it's way into Borgrim's mind - but doubt is for weaklings, fishmongers and stablehands. Yes, the werecrow went the other way, but that doesn't mean it escaped. Not yet.

    Letting out another bellowing warcry, he charges on down the street and out of sight. Then, he makes his way back onto the rooftops. He will try and find a decent vantage point, from where he can see a good part of the surrounding area. Then, he will try to spot the werecrow again - and follow it, stealthily.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Ah well - this will call for a lot of rolls. Thankfully, Borgrim still has Rage up, so he has advantage on Strength based checks. Sadly, spotting the werecrow will require a Wisdom based roll, which .. is Borgrims strongest suit, luckily.

    Athletics, to climb a nice, tall building: (1d20+6)[22] or (1d20+6)[26]
    Perception, to spot the crow: (1d20)[1] - can I take 20 on this (I know I can't) ..... oh. Everything else worked out nicely tho =D
    Stealth, to follow the crow undetected: (1d20+4)[21]

    Since more rolls might be required to follow the crow any substantial way:
    Athletics: (1d20+6)[14] - and Rage doesn't last forever
    Athletics: (1d20+6)[15]

    Stealth: (1d20+4)[23]
    Stealth: (1d20+4)[21]

    Provided all of this works - or is even possible, there's no guarantee the crow returns to the rooftops - then Borgrim will follow it to it's lair. Well, hopefully =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-12-29 at 03:52 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    No answer is forthcoming and Borgrim seems already too far. Rosa takes control over Mao's senses and instructs him.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rogue/Wizard duel. The Werecrow is now officially Rosa's very own nemesis and shadow counterpart: He probably prefers dogs to cat. Evil, evil, Werecrow.

    Action: Roll perception for the cat.
    Perception - (1d20+3)[5], Extra - (1d20+3)[15]

    If the cat spots the Werecrow:
    Run towards the enemy (move + bonus dash), engaging him in melee, while yelling to call Borgrim.

    If the cat fails:
    The cat starts going from roof to roof, trying to catch the Werecrow's smell again. (Remember that the cat can communicate telepathically with Rosa as long as it is within 100ft of her. The cat might not be able to pinpoint a precise position, but it should be able to communicate whether it has found the guy and general directions to him, right?)
    Rosa moves towards the last known position of the Werecrow, then tries to figure out a good hiding spot that is within line of sight of that hideout. This is based on the reasonable assumption that the Werecrow moved out using an effect that requires line of sight.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Sure? No. Not in a world where invisibility is a thing and shadow creatures appear out of thin air. But other than that, the coast is clear."

    He takes a moment to make sure of his claim, looking around, before continuing. "I have a few questions, mostly regarding illegal shipments that were ... disrupted, somehow... And about you, your motives and goals... but are you sure you want to do this here and now, in a dark alleyway in the middle of the night?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    César directs his raven not to stray too far, providing him with a pair of eyes in the sky to spot approaching dangers. ideally, he would circle above and keep a look on winding street and the situation near the house.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  20. - Top - End - #440
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim leaps up and grasps a downspout, heaving himself up with brute force. He braces himself against the adjacent building and in only a moment makes his way to the the roof of the second story. From his fresh vantage above the western side of the back alley, he peers southward, scanning for a sign of the were-crow.

    Rosa snaps back to her own vision, having seen the were-crow's hiding spot through her familiar's eyes {Mao Perception: success}. She dashes south down the alley, closing in on her mark. The were-crow only notices Rosa's approach when the woman is already upon the were-crow. In a moment of apparent panic the were-crow attempts to duck away from her blade. Once outside of her reach, the were-crow once more melds into the shadows, reappearing thirty feet further south down the alley. Rosa hollers over her shoulder to alert Borgrim. The were-crow moves from its new patch of shadow, slipping around the corner of a house, to the west.

    Back between the buildings to the north, the maid eyes César as the raven wheels about overhead. She puts a hand puts a hand on her hip and peers about as she replies: "Yes, invisibility, but otherwise you're certain? Good. I don't know what you mean about any shipments, though, nor my motives. What do the motives of a house maid matter? And anyway, isn't that none of your business?" The maid furrows her brow and squints at César.

    She continues: "Well, I can't, or rather, won't, go back to the home now, not with the chance of them assassins about. But I've a private workshop a street over where I do some darning and sewing and whatnot, where we might be safer. What about your companion, the odd looking woman who was running along with you? Should we wait for her?"

    The clear voice of the doorman can still be heard from in front of the yellow-doored house, now addressing the watch who have finally arrived. The watch reply in muffled, indistinct words which can't be made out at this distance.

    "Ah! You've arrived! There are more knaves about, I'm sure! I saw two barreling after the poor maidservant, north along the street! Best keep an eye out for any more!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I had already rolled Mao's (successful) perception check before hand, so I'll just say he succeeds in spotting the were-crow. Borgrim makes up to the roof of the west side of the alley, two stories up. That takes most if not all of his movement, though, so he's at least 60 feet north from Rosa's current position in the alley. His rage will also end, since he was not attacked, nor did he make an attack this turn.

    Rosa can make an opportunity attack against the were-crow before it moves out of her reach, and then it shadowsteps further south down the alley.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  21. - Top - End - #441
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim feels the ember of his Rage slip away, his fearsome temper settling once more like a rock at the bottom of a lake. Sure, he still angers easily, but for right now, he's lost his edge. What's more, he's now on a second story rooftop, more than a little exhausted, and still with lots of running and jumping to do.

    Hearing Rosa call out, he sets off at his best pace, wheezing like an ancient geezer leaning on his walking stick.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Fatigue level 1, disadvantage on all ability checks.

    Borgrim runs towards Rosa. Should opportunity present itself, he will reactivate rage. But otherwise, well, any Jump, Climb, Perception, Stealth or similar test is with disadvantage.

  22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Darning and sewing. Is it what is called nowadays?" asks César, dismissively. "Anyway, we are better off anywhere that isoff the streets, and if your place is nearby I say let's go for it. My companions will rejoin us without fail once they are though with their own tasks.

    As for my motives, why would you find it strange for a member of the city guard to ask you a few questions, after what just happened? I would say you are now a person of interest for an ongoing investigation. An investigation into a mysterious cabal of assassins. Or whatever. Of course I need to take a statement from you."
    He waves away with his hand, as if the thought of anything being different would be ridiculous in itself.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa's sword bites at nothing but air and shadows as the fiend slips away. She notices an exhausted Borgrim barely keeping it together. More grim breather than reaper, quips the Joker. Rosa swears under her breath. She raises her voice: "Let him go Grim Slayer, won't catch him..." she kicks dirt in frustration and, despite the darkness, she notices something caught floating in the air. "... tonight," she adds for her own benefit, grabbing the floating feathers and securing them inside a cloak pocket.

    The ruby on her sword glints as she moves towards the main street, keeping to the shadows, pointing her finger towards the César's last known position. She whispers: "Hey, Your Highness, still around? Can you hear me? Bad news is the @sshole can slip through shadows thus he's not worth running after. Good news is he forgot something we can use to track him with that crystal ball. What's your situation?"
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2020-01-13 at 02:27 PM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  24. - Top - End - #444
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim - all 230 pounds of trimmed, battle-hardened physique - sags slowly to his knees. He raises one hand weakly in a grasping motion, as if reaching for something long lost .. youth, love ... his breath.

    I can ... still catch him ... he gasps feebly, let me just ... just rest ... for a little bit.

    He keels over with excruciating slowness, like a proud fortress finally crumbling under the relentless assault of rampaging orks - slowly, slowly onto his left side.

    ... good night, mother.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2020-01-13 at 04:21 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    From the corner of her eye, Rosa sees Borgrim stumble and fall.

    Not waiting for César's answer, she runs towards the half-orc.

    "Gods Borgrim! Are you wounded? What's up with you? Did he curse you? " She kneels next to Borgrim, searching his body for blood or a wound. " No no no, you can't die here! "

    Finally, she slaps him, once " wake up!" And then slaps him again, with the back of her hand, to be sure.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  26. - Top - End - #446
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa's slap catches Borgrim across the face, just as he let's out a rumbling snore. He startles awake: Gah! Is it morning? Looks about, and slowly get's to his feet. Tired, but entirely unhurt.

  27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    A red flustered blush rises to Rosa's cheeks. "You were... you were what? I thought you were dead you idiot!"

    The blush on her face turns to one of anger. "Now get off your ass before I start kicking you in the ribs."

    She turns away from Borgrim, face still red, grumbling to herself about the time and place for a nap.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  28. - Top - End - #448
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim stifles a momentuous yawn, stretches mightily, and replies: Yes ma'am .. not to worry though, if I was meant to die from a bit of common stabbery, I'd have died long ago.

  29. - Top - End - #449
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The maid looks askance at Cesar, then shrugs.

    "Alright, if'n your sure. I won't pry. We'll head a little further up the alley first to avoid the other watchmen, then it's just a little way to the east across Winding Street, on Sleepers Lane."

    The maid shoots another glance about for any sign of more ne'er-do-wells, then leads Cesar north up the back alley a short ways. She then loops back toward Winding Street. After a quick peek to make sure no watchmen are about, she crosses the street and enters a small lane running east-west. Numerous very small shops and house fronts line the lane, crowding in on each other with not a bit of space in between. A short way down the slightly curved lane, the maid stops before a door painted with a needle and spool of thread. She fishes about in a pocket, eventually producing a simple iron key. With a heavy turn in the lock, the door creaks open. The maid bustles inside. She lights a small oil lamp and sets it on a work table. The light is dim, but enough to cast away most of the shadows in the cramped work-room. The maid gestures to a plain wooden chair and pushes aside a large pine spinning wheel, then opens a small door to a closet storeroom. She traces a finger along a few shelves until she finds what she's looking for, letting out an "Aha!". She turns around with a stout, long-necked bottle and places it beside Cesar. She then moves across the workroom and opens a small cabinet, revealing an assortment of glass-ware. She returns to Cesar with three small glasses and pours into each a generous amount of amber colored liquid.

    "Brandy, not bad stuff, considering my wages. I know I need a little to take the edge off tonight!"

    The maid doesn't wait for Cesar and takes a large swig of the spirit.




    With the werecrow seeming to have eluded Rosa's and Borgrim's pursuit, Rosa gives up on the chase and helps Borgrim to his feet. Borgirm, now feeling drained from his last rage, is in no condition to continue a foot chase in any case. As the two are glancing about for any sign of Cesar, the sometime-watchman's raven alights nearby and gives the two a tilted look and a soft croak. The raven croaks a second time and then takes off. Rosa and Borgrim take the hint and set off following their companion's bird. Mao slips down from the roof and rejoins Rosa, padding along at her side. A moment of thought is given to the two uncounscious assassins, but with the watch now audibly milling about where they were hidden, it's probably too risky to move them now.

    After a few minutes of following the raven, Rosa and Borgrim arrive in front of a small workshop door in Sleeping Lane, east from Winding Street. On the door is a painted needle and spool of thread, and through the lone shuttered window, the tiniest glint of light escapes. The raven hops up onto the sill and taps lightly at the shutter. The door opens a crack, and the fleeing maid peeks out. She recognizes Rosa, then hesitates when she spots Borgrim. She hisses back over her shoulder: "I thought you only had the one friend, you never mentioned a second! Well, in for a penny..."

    The maid opens the door and waves the two inside the cramped workshop. She rumages about and offers a stool to Rosa, and a cleared work table against a wall to Borgim. "Sorry, don't have much need for more than two chairs while I'm working. I'll grab a another glass, though." The maid pours out another generous glassful of amber brandy for Borgrim, to whom she hands it. "Looks like you could use a good drink too, eh?"

    Once everyone is situated as comfortably as possible, the maid addresses the three: "Now you're all here, what exactly did you want to ask me about? I know the gentleman here (she indicates Cesar) is a member of the watch, but forgive me for saying so, neither of you two look like watch to me. What's this all about?" The maid looks to each in turn, a furrow in her brow.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2020-01-22 at 12:42 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  30. - Top - End - #450
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    I'm a, um, fresh recruit .. just signed up, the um, lieutenant .. sargeant .. officer here was taking me to the precinct house to issue my uniform and regulation length truncheon, when ruffians attacked us, much to their regret. Thank you for the liquor, ma'am, but I shouldn't .. I'm on duty. Borgrim the Watchman glances sideways at his recruitment officer, clearly uncertain what to do, but unwilling to mess up on his first day on the job!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •