New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

"A single person with two different personalities? Preposterous." says Cèsar, apparently serious. "This is something that I could expect in a work of fiction, not in real life. Still, nothing is out of the question. Perhaps it is, indeed, as you say, and it costs us very little to be cautious."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

Rosa smirks at César. "Two persons, one body, preposterous, you don't say..." She rolls her eyes.

She turns to Borgrim: "Listen, Nicodemus has done nothing but help us. We went looking for him, not him for us. So really, I don't think it's all a big conspiracy or something. However, I'm fine with keeping details from him, only if to avoid burdening a tired old man."

Rosa scratches her head. "I must say I agree with our dear Baron. We may be better off trying to snatch that mage and have a one on one chat with him. Even if the cult feels threatened after last night, his ability to run through shadows should make him confident enough to venture out, since he doesn't know we can counter it."

"The cat knows the crow mage's smell. We can watch that tower and..." Rosa goes on, discussing the basics of a plan.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2020-05-07 at 01:14 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

3. - Top - End - #513
    Bugbear in the Playground

After some discussion of plans and logistics, Borgrim, Rosa, and César set off toward Dagger Lane and the old rookery tower. On the way they grab a bite to eat while passing through Market Square, squeezing past the hustle and bustle as they go.

Mid afternoon finds the trio on Dagger Lane, south of Knife Street. Looking westward a block or so, they spy the weathered top-half of what must be the rookery, very obviously abandoned and in a state of disrepair. Shingles and patches of roof are missing from the slanted awnings, and the tiered balconies which encircle the tower look uneven and precarious. Moving down the alley toward the tower as near as they dare reveals an old courtyard. The courtyard is perhaps 100 feet across with rookery tower roughly in its centre. All about the sides are rough and rundown houses with irregular roofs, several likely abandoned just like the tower.

Squeezing down the narrow alley, the only folk the trio see is an older human man, motley beard down to his belt, sitting on a stoop and watching as folk pass by on Dagger Lane. He stares obviously at the three as they pass. He clears his throat, shaking his head.

"Ahh... yer not wantin' te head that way, nah sirs! The tower's haunted fer many years now, and recently folk've said they heard funny things comin' from within. Best steer clear. But, ahh... if yer not inclined to heed ma warnin' tisn't no skin off ma nose, no sirs!" The old man taps his nose vigorously to emphasize his point. Then he shrugs and returns to watching the street and absentmindedly whittling at a small bit of wood. A few moments later and the man slowly gets to his feet and dusts himself off. "Well, gonna be a bit'o'rain soon, so's I'll bid you g'day." The old man turns and opens a narrow door in the alley way, waving as he withdraws indoors. He closes the door firmly behind him, and you hear several bolts being latched.

The roofs of the houses surrounding the rookery tower are steep and uneven, providing plenty of hiding spots from which to spy upon the tower from good cover. The only clear alleyway leaving the courtyard is the one the trio entered on, which runs north-east toward Dagger Lane. Rosa, César, and Borgim take up relatively comfortable, concealed positions on the rooftops nearby, while Cat and Raven are sent to the far side of the tower (more or less the south side) to keep watch. Unfortunately for the two familiars, there aren't any good perches that are also hidden, so they are fairly obvious to any who might be looking. On the plus side, however, ravens and cats are not at all out of place in the city, so their presence shouldn't attract any real attention.

As the afternoon drags on a cloud bank rolls in and soon a light rain falls. Nothing stirs within the tower. The tower is octagonal with a narrow, decrepit balcony marking each level above ground (each level being ~ 15 or 20 twenty feet above the last), narrowing slightly toward the top. From their vantage point on the roof, it is clear that the ground floor of the tower is boarded up. As well, the second floor balcony, perhaps 20 feet above ground, also has its widows and balcony doors closed and boarded. The sealing of the ground and second floor doesn't appear to be recent. Knowing that for sure, however, would require much closer examination.

As the three wait the rain eventually stops just before sunset. Rosa, Borgrim, and César tense a little as the Sun fades and drops below the horizon. An hour or so after sunset, they spy the first signs of movement from the tower. A single cloaked form peeks out onto the fourth balcony. It appears to take note of Cat and Raven, staring in their direction for many moments. It ducks back inside. A few minutes later it reappears and begins to clamber down a rope ladder of some sort, sticking to the south side of the tower. Shortly after it reaches the ground, two more cloaked figures appear, this time staying out of line of sight of the two familiars (but in view, apparently unknowingly, of Rosa, Borgrim, and César). The first cultist heads south toward a narrow gap in the courtyard. The second duo moves toward the alley connected to Dagger Lane, walking more or less below where the trio is laying in wait. They are clearly similar to the several cloaked cultists that Rosa and César knocked-out/slew the night before. They continue on their way toward Dagger Lane and are soon out of sight.

Several minutes pass with no other activity. Finally, as the sky begins to clear and stars become visible, another form stirs at the top of the tower. In shadow, the form spreads a cloak-like shape which begins to resemble two large wings. It appears to scan the roofline for a moment or two, and then pushes itself off of the tower and glides through the night air toward where Rosa, Borgrim, and César are hidden, apparently oblivious.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Could I get stealth checks for Rosa and César, please?
    And Initiative Rolls for everyone, as they will be relevant soon.
    You can also describe what you desire your actions to be. The stealth checks will determine how close the werecrow gets before it notices you, so you might be able to get surprise on it. I'd roughly place the three of you within about twenty feet from the next nearest (so not much more than ~ forty feet between the two furthest). But feel free to describe how you think you would have place yourselves.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Nicodemus has turned senile: He can't scry into an old dank and empty tower and so fancies it choke-full of ghosts and monsters? teases the Joker to Rosa's ear. Waiting in that courtyard goes against her preferences: Too much open space. Yet, it seemed the best spot to wait them out.

She fidgets in between bouts of mental control of Mao, who seems less agreeable than usual. Or maybe it's her who can't be satisfied with her familiar's endeavor?

Finally, dusk comes and that abandonned tower shows signs of life. Rosa hesitates to have Mao follow one of the three cultists. Her hesitation lasts too long, as the werecrow appears on the roof, presenting a more interesting target.

"What the..." Rosa's whisper trails off, as she watches, from Mao's perspective, the werecrow flying right towards them. She comes back to her senses and flattens herself against a half-crumbled arcade column. No need communicating, the others must have noticed their prey. She twists the silver thread into loops, ready to throw.

Show
    So, first of all: Stealth - (1d20+8)[16]. I hereby present a motion for advantage, on the basis we had time enough to chose the best hiding spots around that courtyard, Advantage - (1d20+8)[27].

I'm fine with the 20 to 40ft between each PC thing.

Initiative - (1d20+9)[23]

If the werecrow comes close enough, Rosa will throw the chain on him. Is Rosa proficient in silver chain throwing? Chain attack - (1d20+4)[22], +2 again if proficiency.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2020-05-12 at 12:50 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Cèsar knows that a stakeout is all about the wait. Therefore, he makes sure to have with him a hot beverage and a bite to munch on. Heeding the old man’s unspoken advice, he choses a secluded spot under the edge of a roof; he leans back on the wall and sends his familiar out.

Studying the tower from two vantage points, he is unsure whether they would be able to tale it by force. They would be hard pressed to get there quietly, and it would be much more difficult with the opposite side defending their position.

As the cultists leave alone or in small groups, Cèsar starts getting ready. They are looking for the head of the organization: he makes a silent prayer for him to be alone when he leaves, otherwise everything is going to be more difficult.

“If we get him alone, wait for my signal before throwing that chain.” he whispers to Rosa. As he does, he spies the leader on the roof, then he sees him getting towards them. “Here he comes!” he says to his companions, still whispering somewhat. At the same time, his crow feels dread and anticipation via the empathetic connection and scrambles to get behind the crow leader towards the trio.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Stealth - (1d20+5)[11], StealthAdv - (1d20+5)[15] . Please note that if we do not have advantage already, I will use the Tides of Chaos to get it.
    Initiative - (1d20+5)[18]
    If we can get close enough, Cèsar will cast Hex on the target, cursing his dex (disadvantage on all rolls).
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2020-05-12 at 05:06 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #516
    Banned

The Grim Leaper leaps again.

Borgrim knows little of fighting flying opponents. Clearly, flying is cowardly and unmanly - but it's nothing he can't handle. He judges the distance, waiting his moment, then runs, and leaps with a roar to shake the very foundations of the old rookery.

Show

So Borgrim's old stealth check still applies - but everyone gets to reroll? Borgrim sad =(

Regardless:
    Activate Reckless Attack = Advantage on attack rolls.
    Activate Rage = Advantage on Str checks.
    Athletics (Barbaric Leap): (1d20+6)[10] or (1d20+6)[26]
    Attack: (1d20+6)[12] or (1d20+6)[16]

I suppose this is a .. grapple? Regardless, Borgrim believe he's entitled to pummel the werecrow into submission with his bare hands. So:

Attack: (1d20+6)[7] or (1d20+6)[23]
    Damage: Negligible.

Frankly I don't know how grapple works, or if it exists in 5e. You tell me =)

7. - Top - End - #517

The trio tenses as the werecrow glides nearly silently through the air towards their rooftop hiding spots. About forty feet away the creature seems to catch sight of Borgrim's hulking shape and it veers steeply to the left, inadvertently toward where Rosa lies in wait {Stealth: Borgrim spotted, C and R hidden.}

Rosa waits for just the right moment. As César prepares his hex magic, Rosa launches the silver chain upwards{Hit}. Before the werecrow can react it is entangled by the snaking chains. Its wings are entwined and it tumbles out of the air to the rooftop twenty feet below {1 damage}. It struggles in vain against the magical bindings {Teleport attempt: Failure}, and then a second later Borgrim's rushing body slams into the creature, flattening it against the roof. Borgrim feeds a few quick jabs into the werecrow's stomach for good measure {Grapple: Success}, generating a grunt of pain.

Panting and hissing through a clenched beak, the werecrow twists its head to eye its captors with a hateful look, waiting for their next move.

Spoiler: OOC, Round 1
    Show

Werecrow rolls: HERE.

Initiative: Rosa 23, César 18, Werecrow 9, Borgrim 7.

Werecrow spotted Borgrim, but was surprised by Rosa and César. Attempted to escape using its reaction once its turn was done, but to no effect. It is now Restrained by the Chains of Binding, Grappled by Borgrim (Grappling is an Athletics check opposed by the targets Athletics or Acrobatics), and Hexed (Dexterity Checks) by César.

Rosa and César are ~fifteen or twenty feet from the werecrow and Borgrim.

EDIT: I forgot to roll the Werecrow's Acrobatics check with disadvantage (imposed by Hex), but it didn't matter anyway.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2020-05-12 at 12:46 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

“Hold right there, pal” shouts Cèsar, his arm stretched threateningly in front of him and ready to blast. He stops for a moment, confused, then shrugs, continuing to yell: “No loud noises, no sudden moves. We are going to have a nice chat, but if you cooperate you might walk away with just a bruised ego. It's your choice: you seem smart, I’m sure you will play nice. Who knows, we might find out we are on the same team after all, or at least unlikely allies.”

Show
    Code:
    Wild magic #61: "For the next minute, you must shout when you speak."
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2020-05-13 at 09:24 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

Rosa comes out of the shadows, and puts a hand on César's shoulder: "Alright alright, I think he got it. SSssshhh, no need to keep yelling! Gonna wake the whole neighborhood up."

Her head tilts as she tries to catch the werecrow's eyes. "So, I already tried an overture, last time, but you were so uncouth, leaving me hanging like that. That's definitely not a way to treat a lady." Rosa shakes her head. "Most definitely not the right way. See, my comrades are much annoyed by your unchivalrous behavior."

"So, in turn, please excuse our lack of manners, but your attention seems otherwise hard to get."

Show
    Helping out César's diplomatic attempts, for advantage, if needed.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Banned

Borgrim - slowly learning that he get's in trouble with Rosa every time he uses his words - settles for growling menacingly at the werecrow.

Show

Intimidate: (1d20+6)[11] ... if I have any Rage left, I might even have advantage on that. Or am I pushing it now? =)

11. - Top - End - #521

The werecrow glares balefully at César and Rosa with a beady eye. It winces as César shouts, thought that may be more from the fist that Borgrim plants in the creatures kidney. It replies with a scoffing "Craw!" and a hissing of breath from its beak. It does, however, also cease its struggling and resign itself to being restrained {Diplo/Intimidation: Success}.

"Praw! Chsss! Malar consume you both!" The werecrow hisses between body shots, in heavily accented Common. Its eyes shift back and forth between Rosa and César as it continues. "Praw! One, the Fiend-blood flows through, and the other, stinkssss of dark-fey magics!" The werecrow stretches awkwardly to turn its head to look Borgrim in the eye. "These you count as friends, Man-Orc? Chsss! You disgrace your line with this un-nature!"

The werecrow settles back, seemingly content with saying its piece. It eyes Rosa and César. "My ears are captive. What would you say? ... and why have you thwarted our just hunt?"

Show

I'll say Borgrim can maintain rage for its duration as long as he keeps up his grapple. Maybe throwing in a little jab for good measure here and there =)
    Show

12. - Top - End - #522
    Banned

Borgrim - entirely baffled by being singled out as the nice guy in the group - seizes pummeling the were-creature, and stutters:

They .. but .. what?! He finally rallies, yes, they are my friends, and despite their sorcerous natures, they are both fine people.

He pauses .....

Explain this 'just hunt', please. You attacked a respected priest and an innocent seamstress. How is that 'just'?

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Rosa nods approvingly as Borgim asks his questions.

14. - Top - End - #524

The werecrow's eye's narrow as the creature scowls.

"Praw! Sssseamstress? The Hag y Nos steals the souls of those it corrupts with it's night-thoughts, Chsss! A crime against the natural; awful fiend-touched fairy! What right does it have to take the souls, and what dread does it carrie out upon them? Praw!" The werecrow shakes it's head vigorously in disgust. It then continues:

"And the priest, hmm? Hmm... Ah, yes, that one... " The werecrow hesitates. Its eyes widen in realization. "Yes! That one, sly devil, that one traffics in stolen souls and spirits. It too upsets the natural order; perverts spirit power and sells it for coin, praw! If that one is respected, then those that respect are fools, chsss! We shall track them both down and cleanse away their evil!"

The werecrow pauses a moment to crane its neck about to look at each of its captors in turn.

"Praw! Even though two of you are tainted, still you sink even lower than your natures. Why do you consort with this priest and 'seamstress'? Do you, too, desire to wrench the beating heart of Life from Nature's bosom?"
    Last edited by Woggle; 2020-05-16 at 05:25 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #525
    Banned

You are well informed - that is good. Yes, the priest is corrupt, and the seamstress is a night hag. Know that we in no way condone their actions, but they have proven useful to us in a greater struggle.

I have a far more important question for you: What happened at the mages house? You were there, we know. Why?

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

Rosa frowns at the werecrow. "Y'know, I'm not far from feeling offended by your uncalled remarks regarding my supposed 'nature'. First of all, you know nothing of me. Second, an elf turning into crow calling me tainted that hunts souls, really? That a joke?"

Show
    Also, what does Rosa know about Malar? I'm well acquainted with that one in the context of Faërun, but it might be a different sort of beast, here: [roll=Intelligence]1d20+[/roll].

17. - Top - End - #527

The werecrow stares at Borgrim beadily with its right eye. It holds out for several moments, then relents.

"I was not at the old sorcerer's house, no, twas one of my corvexes. The sorcerer had many magic ingredients, some which were of value to us. So a corvex was sent to fetch some of them. But there were marauders there, vagabonds, interested only in pillaging. They gave battle and the corvex was forced to flee, though not before they had valiantly gathered some of what we needed."

The beady stare shifts toward Rosa.

"Praw! No jest. The transformation is an acceptance of our natural, animalistic nature. Useless to deny it, though many try. Hunting souls, that is our duty; those who despoil the natural must be cleansed and consumed. And it is the truth of things: your blood-ness is tainted by Fiend-ness. Naught you can change... but still you are tainted."

The werecrow's birdlike face shifts slightly into some grotesque version of... sympathy? The feathered brow above the werecrow's beady eyes softens just a little, and some of its feathers flatten. The attempt at emoting comes off as awkward and blundering.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #528
    Banned

Borgrim takes a step back.

... I don't know about you guys, addressed at Rosa and César, but I think our goals align. I think we should have an open chat about the goings on, our goals and so on.

Then he turns back to the were crow:

Your duty, eh? Duty to what? Are you some sort of ... soul custodians? He smiles brightly, exceedingly pleased with his own cleverness.

Oh, and .. I'm Borgrim, by the way. What are you called?

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

“Dark Fey? What do you mean?” asks Cèsar, surprised.
    “No matter. Before this goes any further, we need to know what you have planned for the festival the day after tomorrow. Then we can talk for real.”
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2020-05-20 at 01:02 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

Rosa looks at César, surprised by the Baron's question. "Why? Do you plan on asking him out?" she asks, playfully. The Joker whispers into her ear and Rosa can't stop herself repeating aloud: "Thought you preferred them less feathered and more weathered."

Addressing Borgrim again, she adds: "Psychopomp, I believe that's the right word for the concept you're intending to use."
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2020-05-19 at 03:55 AM.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Banned

Psycho-what-now?! No, I mean like a .. caretaker. Really, Rosa, only someone truly disturbed would think you'd need to be psycho to care for someone's eternal soul on it's journey towards the afterlife.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

Rosa sighs with weariness, giving up arms before entering an uphill battle. "Guess you're right."

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Really, Rosa? I could have expected this kind of joke from the big guy, not from you.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

24. - Top - End - #534

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Your duty, eh? Duty to what? Are you some sort of ... soul custodians? He smiles brightly, exceedingly pleased with his own cleverness.

Oh, and .. I'm Borgrim, by the way. What are you called?
    "Borgrim. We have no use for names while on the hunt. My title is Patera Corax in the common tongue; I lead this hunting band." The werecrow bobs its head slightly in acknowledgement. "Custodians is not what we would call it. We reclaim souls from those that are not native to this plane, whether they come by choice -- fiends, fey, other abberations -- or are trapped here by sorceries, like those that the priest provides. They are consumed. Some of the power we take to continue our task, the rest returns to its natural plane, cleansed."

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    “Dark Fey? What do you mean?” asks Cèsar, surprised.
    “No matter. Before this goes any further, we need to know what you have planned for the festival tomorrow. Then we can talk for real.”
    The werecrow twists its neck about to eye César.

"The Dark Lady, who dwells beyond the Feywild in a realm of shadow and death. Is that not who you serve? Her aura lies thick upon you."

The werecrow shifts its gaze between Borgrim, César, and Rosa before settling back on César.

"The day of the Equinox, yes? We shall do the as we have done these past few months, since arriving in this place: we hunt. Our quarry is the Hag y Nos... though you have brought the priest to our attention. The soul trade had gone to ground, so we had focused on other prey. Now we may need to reconsider. But the festival itself is no concern of ours."

Show

Just to clarify, the festival is not tomorrow, but the day after (... I'm pretty sure. I'll double check)
    Show

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

"The Dark Lady of shadow and death? Sounds ominous." says Cèsr, trying and failing to get it out as a joke. "I'll look into it"

He returns to the task at hand. "You know, despite our differences, we really have a lit in common, you and us. We both wanted to stop the soul trade, though we have only been made aware of it recently. We have no love for the priest, though we wanted to make use of him before disposing of him. And we went to the Hag because we mostly needed information about you guys, though she didn't look like a bad person... creature... whatever."

He lets the were crow digest this, then continues: "If you are so keen in destroying soul traders, abominations and generally nasty beings, you should be aware that a powerful necromancer has announced his intention to strike this city, most likely on the night of the equinox. We should coordinate a defence strategy rather than fighting each other, don't you think?" He says the last sentence as to imply it would be both irresponsible and stupid to disagree.
    Show
    My bad, I thought that with the night passing, we were down to one day only. I retconned my mistake.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2020-05-20 at 02:14 AM. Reason: OOC

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

26. - Top - End - #536
    Banned

A look of mild puzzlement passes Borgrim's features.

Consumed, you say? Like, literally? Are you some brand of werecrow-soulvampire?

Uh, tell me something else. There were 'marauders' at the wizards house. How do you know that's what they were, and what happened to them?

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

Rosa's eyes narrow as she watches the Baron responding to her own unspoken question about this Dark Lady.

And then, for once, it's Rosa's turn to be surprised at the Baron's apparent earnestness.

Lackeys of the Primal God of the Hunt have no regards for civilized settlements and their inhabitants. Their agreement to any move against Bone will be based only on the expectation of whatever notion they have of a good hunt. Their goal will only be to consume the undead soul. The product of such consumption may well be an entity less malicious, but far more brutal than the necromancer, whispers the Master into Rosa's ear.

Yet, Rosa says nothing. It's too late now, better wait and see how things turn out.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2020-05-20 at 02:45 AM.

28. - Top - End - #538

The werecrow follows César's words carefully. Had the creature prominent ears, they surely would have perked up at the mention of a necromancer. As it is, a feathered eyebrow raise demonstrates intent interest from the trio's captive.

"I admit, even those of wary eye and cautious heart can be duped by a Hag's ploy. It does appear we have some goals aligned, praw! And hunting a foe as you describe would be a most worthy endeavour. But if we were to hunt it, then we must insist upon performing our ritual of consumption, should we succeed. This may not be to your liking. As well, you are responsible for the death of two of my corvex initiates upon our first meeting, praw! How shall I trust you?"

While awaiting an answer, the werecrow twists back toward Borgim.

"Some parts of the creatures are... consumed, yes. The ritual is specific, and if not followed, the soul will not be released, and we cannot draw some small part of its power for advancement. But we are not vampyr, CHsss!" The werecrow mimics the sound of spitting, vigorously, in apparent disgust. "They are cursed, and must draw the life-force of their victims in order to sustain their cursed un-life, praw! We do not hunt to feed ourselves, no! We eat, like you, to sustain our mortal bodies."

The werecrow's feathers unruffled somewhat. More calmly, it continues.

"I know they are marauders, because they were... marauding, praw! Thugs looking to see what they could to steal. They managed to catch a corvex initiate somewhat, ahh... unawares." Despite the incongruity of form, the werecrow looks positively sheepish at this admission. "When they confronted the initiate, they had already pilfered valuables. There were three of them at least, so they attacked, forcing the initiate to flee. We were preoccupied with other matters, but we did track them to the south side of the river. The place the city-folk call 'The Noose'."

Show

Assuming you want to convince the werecrow to join up for the festival, I'll ask for a Charisma (Persuasion) check each from César and Borgrim. I'll treat it like a group check, so only one of you needs a success. DC 12.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #539
    Banned

By that same logic, you too are marauders - just less succesful ones. Or would you dispute that?

What were you after at the mages house?

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

Rosa can't stop herself from putting her face in an open palm. "Really? We're discussing ethics with a soul-eating cultist now?"

"As for your corvices, well, I'm the one responsible, for both the decision and the deed. I tried not to hurt them too bad. I'd have prodigated first aid weren't it for the need to pursue the hag. I guess every hunt has its risks, else it's not a hunt? I'm not going to say I'm sorry about them but I take full responsibility." Rosa pauses, to let those words sink in.

"In the end it's all a misunderstanding: We came to the wizard's place because we know he has history with that necromancer. Seeing how you raided that house, we believed you may be working for the necromancer. We figured out your next prey would be the hag. If you remember well, after disabling your associates, I tried to open discussions with you. Failing that, leaving your associates to their fate to catch up with the hag was the sole option."

Rosa rolls her shoulders to relax them some, making her articulations crack. "We know where you stand. I won't say I'm much enthused by your dietary habits, but strong enemies incite unusual alliances, and your ritual may well be what's needed to end that necromancer for good. My associates and I need to discuss the possibility and terms of such an alliance in private. Whatever comes out of it, as long as you leave regular folk out of whatever you're doing and attack only monsters and thugs, rest assured you're not my enemy."

Rosa kneels next to the werecrow and removes the silver chain binding him. "In the meantime, telling us where to find those marauders may help us with," Rosa hesitates, "... our own hunt. If they indeed lead us to the necromancer and your help is necessary, something will come out of it for you as well."

"I've no issue with whatever happens with the hag, but we still need the priest." Rosa hesitates again, looking at each of her companions in turn. "Is all that right with you, guys?"

Show
    Rosa is not proposing an alliance right now. She's earnest about everything she just said. I believe it's in the werecrow's interest for us to go after the "marauders", for now, and see what happens.