New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Can a Wildshaped Druid,communicate with animals that it is shifted into?

So i can't find a real answer to this. My gut leans towards no, but I can see how it is a yes. Either way can't find an official answer on, if my druid that Wild shapes into a wolf communicate with wolves.

To be clear, I'm not talking about communicating like speech. But does the druid understand and share the normal level of understanding about the animal's body language and the likes?

Sub note, Using the Speak with Animal spell, are you locked out from speaking with Animals or is the communicate more magical so you can still make use of it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Can a Wildshaped Druid,communicate with animals that it is shifted into?

Wildshaping does not grant a Druid and more of a sense of communication, body language, pheromones, or anything else than they had when in caster form. A Druid would likely understand what it means when a wolf has it hackles up, but wouldn't know what pheromone they can smell actually means. Wildshape doesn't grant you a new language in anyway (and in this case I consider growls, body language, and scents combined to be the language "wolf").

On the other hand, I would allow you to speak with and understand animals when you are under the effect of Speak with Animals. It's magic, it can overcome a lot of things. Plus it's ten minutes and needs to be cast before you wildshape. This is a DM call though.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Can a Wildshaped Druid,communicate with animals that it is shifted into?

Forest Gnome Druids do :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I would allow communication on a very basic level, nothing complicated. "Danger, close, that way", "Friend", "Hunt", etc.

I think Speak with Animals allows for much more complicated communication that would not be available animal to animal.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, the question really can be answered thusly : do you gain basic knowledge of your wild shape when you turn , or don’t you. If you could shape into a dragon (I know you can’t ) could you breathe fire at someone? Can you fly when you are a bird even though you’ve never flown before in your life, nor had any knowledge of it before?

If the answer to those questions is ‘yes’ then it’s disingenuous to assume you can’t communicate as a pack animal with members of your pack, yet can do something as complicated as flying. Only basic ‘normal’ communication mind you, such as concern/danger, back off, basic attraction, that sort of thing.

On the other hand, if a given animal is solitary in nature and doesn’t really communicate with others of its kind as part of its basic makeup, I’d rule no.

But as far as hard rules? Like many things in dnd5e, there is no raw, and only very basic rai, ask your DM and have them make a thoughtful ruling, taking into consideration things like the above, and whether polymorph will be the same or not, etc.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by SVamp View Post
    snip
    i agree with SVamp's interpretation.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Just, please don't. Insisting on that technicality improves nothing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Wildshaping does not grant a Druid and more of a sense of communication, body language, pheromones, or anything else than they had when in caster form. A Druid would likely understand what it means when a wolf has it hackles up, but wouldn't know what pheromone they can smell actually means. Wildshape doesn't grant you a new language in anyway (and in this case I consider growls, body language, and scents combined to be the language "wolf").
    I think it would be cool if they got wolf insticts. Like a tiny voice in the back of their mind telling them what the wolf they are borrowing the body of would do. Part of a side effect of their conscious sliding into the wolf body's brain.
    Animorphs does a great job of showing this effect when the characters first turn into a new shape they must get used to the instincts of the creature. The cat is cool and confident and smug. Hard to motivate or get it to do what you want.
    The wolf wants to run around and play.
    The mouse is paralyzed with fear and wants to run to safety or not move to avoid detection.
    Once they get used to it they can control it well.

By raw there's not really an answer. In which case ask your dm. I go with what the player thinks will be most fun.
    Maybe it's a trade-off they get the helpful and unhelpful qualities. Sure you can read wolf pheramones, but trying to force your rat form to go towards danger to spy takes a wisdom save or animal handling check or something.

Very homebrew. But flavorful. There's potential there.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Ultimately, it's up to the DM. But for my two cents, it's magic, so why not?

Mechanically it's not going to give the player much of an advantage. It's not mind control, so no instant ally. And the druid has to burn a wild shape to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxWolFrostFire View Post
    Sub note, Using the Speak with Animal spell, are you locked out from speaking with Animals or is the communicate more magical so you can still make use of it?
    I don't see why you would be locked out of using Speaking with Animals (as long as you cast it beforehand). Still magic. Still should work just fine.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

No because it's literally the Shepard Druid's 2nd lvl ability Speech of the Wood.

"beasts can understand your speech, and you gain the ability to decipher their noises and motions."

You only get to understand beasts and converse with them at will if you become a Shepard Druid.

I mean I feel like every druid subclass should get Speech of the Wood as default, but as it stands if your any Druid subclass but Shepard and you let your character communicate with animals freely just because you turned into a similar animal then your stepping on that subclass's benefits.
    Last edited by elyktsorb; 2019-09-26 at 07:12 AM.