New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Path of the Past [IC]

In a country, fractured into more nations than one can count, an unusual event has begun.
    Giant magical constructs have raised from the sea, the ground, and even fallen from the sky, marching on everything in sight.
    Five kingdoms have fallen, numerous villages razed to the ground, and many have died.
    Now the Village of Brynheim has spied one marching upon it, and the Chief has put out a call for adventurers to try and stop it. This is the story of one such group who has accepted the challenge.

After the five of you have arrived to take the job, you are ushered in to speak with the Chief all at once. "I thank you for accepting my summons. I'm sure you may have heard, one of the massive beasts that have been rampaging seems to have set a course toward our village. With the nearest villages already eradicated, and everything we've done so far not even slowing it down, I have resorted to calling for aid. One of our scouts has discovered that the creature appears to have a means to enter the inside. He even claims that there are humanoid creatures that occasionally step out for fresh air. It is my belief that there may be a way to stop it from the inside, but I don't have the manpower to send. That is where you come in. My scout can lead you to the closest spot possible, and the local mage has donated a device that can help you get on the creature. I would like you to infiltrate it, try and stop it from the inside, or else force it to go a different direction. If you can succeed, I can offer you the sum of 4000 gold pieces for your services. Will you accept my request." The chief, dressed moderately, stands up as he requests your help, bowing his head to signify his need.

Spoiler
    Show
    Go ahead and introduce your characters and add any questions they may have.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Path of the Past [IC]

The well-dressed dandy in the room, easily recognizable in the village of Brynheim as Lord Aric of Halvon (the name of his manse and supporting plantation on the outskirts of town; supposedly the name of his foreign home of orgin as well), stands and raises his glass. "For those that have not met me yet, my name is Lord Aric. I believe it is a function of noblesse oblige to look after the little people..." (and yes, there is veiled condescension here, less a function of arrogance so much as ignorance) "...to make sure that life can continue such that all may live well. For those of you who have less to lose, therefore, in not being nobility, I salute your courage, duty, vigilance, and honor. Here, here!"

He takes a generous sip of his spirits, and possibly was generous well before the meeting began, and sits down but bolts back up onto his feet before his buttocks fully hit the cushion. "Oh, and I just want to clarify with our chief ..... that is 4000 gold .... apiece, correct?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The chief shakes his head grimly. "Unfortunately no, that much was the amount in full, as it is all I could pull together to fund this quest."

4. - Top - End - #4

QUINN

The oldest man in the room, the 50-year-old transplant that came up with Lord Aric of Halvon shakes his head. "Man, I'm getting too old for this s**t."

He stands up, using his walking cane to help him (interestingly, about his person he has a collection of short walking canes hanging from leather thongs). "I don't know that I can speak for the two natives of your village, chief," here he acknowledges Dorit War-Bear and Angis, "but they seem well outfitted as well. Unfortunately, what you speak of doesn't care about the pay abilities of those coming for it, and it sounds like It is coming this way. So, let's talk about another currency, one which doesn't have a price tag intrinsically, but it is oftimes much more valuable in the long run .... favors."

He looks at the fellows that have assembled here with him, and sees that they are silently in agreement/ expectation/ incitement at this concept before continuing. "A payment of 400 gp to share among the survivors ... assuming, of course, we live. But if we live .... each of us can call in a favor. A favor that is in keeping with their own desires, ambitions, and the understanding of what has been sacrificed, endured .... and in the case of Brynheim .... saved.

"Is that acceptable, Chief?"

Spoiler
    Show
    There is no doubt, in general and during this meeting, that Quinn has "observed" the Chief. I would like to use Diplomacy, but Take 10. This means an automatic result of 29, and then add Inspiration on top of that for 1 IP and a result of (1d6)[2]
    EDIT: Actual result is 31.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-05-19 at 03:45 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Chief laughs a little. "Oh of course. As long as it is in my power and won't be horribly detrimental to my people, I will be glad to grant each of you a favor." He seems happy to agree to this term, as though he had expected to owe favors from the outset.

6. - Top - End - #6

DORIT WAR-BEAR

As Quinn nods to this, Dorit speaks up. "We won't have anything to spend or call in unless we know what we're up against. So, chief .... what are we up against?"

The extremely muscular ... even, dare I say, "robust" northwoman ... fidgets in her chair, wanting more to finally prove herself against a worthy opponent. "How reliable is this scout of yours? and who is the local mage in question?"
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"The scout is one of my best. He hasn't failed me yet, although usually he doesn't have to deal with threats like this. As for the mage, you know him as Rodney. His specialty is making one time use magic items, and he runs a small shop in town. It would be nice to get more for you, but unfortunately I cannot demand he do so."

Spoiler: Dorit and Angis
    Show
    You do know of Rodney. He is an older mage. He has never been too powerful, and he makes small consumable magic items (based off Spheres crafting) that fill a large variety of simple functions. He tends to be grumpy when money isn't involved, and so is often avoided unless he is directly needed.

8. - Top - End - #8

"Well, at least it isn't Eugene," Dorit adds.

"Girl, don't even get me started on that pervert," adds the newest resident of Brynheim, a shifty archaeologist of far-southern complexion (dark skin) who is nervously petting her tolerant cat.

LYRIE AKENJA

"Right??"
    says Dorit. "That sonuvabitch thought that by using his presty-whatsit spell to clean my armor that I 'owed him'. It's only because of my armor that I didn't catch up with the s**t-weasel."

"Ha!" Lyrie laughs. "He tried that with me the first night I got to town. All road-worn and grimy walkin' into the tavern. I used shatter on the two glasses he held - magic he can't even begin to use - and he ran right outta the pub."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Mayor laughs after hearing this exchange. "Eugene left town earlier this week. Claims that he is more important than us. I'm hoping he doesn't return. We can use that run-down shack of his better than he ever did."

10. - Top - End - #10

ANGIS

The tallest person in the room (well, an inch taller than Dorit) was also the one with the lowest-sitting profile and garnered the least attention, which is as much by design as anything. His tall frame is stretched over an extremely lean frame. With light red hair, hazel eyes without pupils, a light tan, and long, slender ears, the elf reclining with his feet propped up listens intently, but appears half-interested, even distracted. His mithral chain is well-hidden under his dark clothing, and his weapons are appropriately exotic for an elf, until one notices that they tend to follow an eastern human design.

When the chief mentions Eugene has left town, however, Angis slowly sits up. He doesn't care about Eugene's mating habits. But he does care when someone that welched on a bet from a drinking game fails to pay up. "Damn. That's ten gold I am not going to see again. Okay, I'm in."

Aric looks to the chief. "Well, Chief. It seems we are in accord."
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Chief walks across from his seat to Aric, and offers him a small disc. "When you get close enough, you can invoke this magic by snapping it in half. All members of your party must be in contact, and the destination is set. The spell will fizzle if you aren't close enough. I hope to see you alive and well soon. You'll find Henson waiting outside. He's under orders to lead you as close as needed for the spell to work to get you on."

12. - Top - End - #12

The six (five + familiar) thanks the chief and head outside to meet Henson.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Henson leads the party to the cart and starts it off on the way out of town. The five of you take your time talking and planning while traveling, After several hours, as the day starts to approach dusk, Henson calls for you to look outside, showing you the the creature as you approach. To call it massive would be an understatement, for you're sure you've never seen anything quite this size. The thing seems to be taller than many mountains, walking on more than 16 legs, and made of what appears to be steel. For all of its size, it moves slowly, moving only one leg at a time, and every step makes a resounding shake in the earth beneath you. After a short while longer, the cart stops and Henson yells in to you. "This is as far as I'll take you. Get on that hill and you should be able to use the spell."

Once the party has exited the cart, Henson immediately turns and leads it away, clearly not willing to stay very close to this thing. The group of you make your way to the hill he mentioned and as a group, invoke the spell, finding yourselves suddenly on top of the monstrosity. After a bit of searching, you find a trap door leading down inside the creature, and prepare to enter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, you know what you need to give me, but I'll still state it.

Marching order, any pre-buffs or such, and SOP for the party. It is obviously assumed that you spent that time planning as you traveled.

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler: Marching Order
    Show
    MARCHING ORDERS
    10’+ Marching Order
    Quinn + Dorit
    Aric + Lyrie (w/ Skivver)
    Angis

5’ Marching Order
    Dorit
    Quinn (changes out w/ Dorit to check the door, then returns)
    Lyrie
    (5’ gap)
    Aric
    Angis

Spoiler: SOP
    Show
    Okay, first and foremost, beyond all things, for it is so easy to forget ...... Quinn has trap spotter @ +24. In addition, he can take 10 on Perception, so that is a passive, trap-spotting perception result of 34. (Disabling the traps is another matter.)

Standard upon coming to a portal (trap-spotting passive), is that if there is a trap, he attends to that first.
    * Disable Device +19, and he can take 10 for a passive DD result of 29.
    >>> If two people can reach the trap mechanism, he will have Angis help him. Angis auto-aids, so that is an adjusted result of 31.
    Only after that does he try to listen for what is on the other side (T10 result of 34 vs. ambushes. He then reports what he hears/ senses.

A determination is made at that point by all participants ... based on what is reported and current remaining resources (and what seems to be the "theme of the day" as far as dangers ... as far as what buffs to make.

Folks fall back into formation, and Dorit opens the door .... shield readied but other hand for the door.

For stealth missions, Skivver is usually sent ahead by Lyrie.

Spoiler: SOP for Personal Abilities
    Show
    Aric of Halvon: As you can see from the sheet, he currently has 2 E invested into darkvision (for a range of 100' darkvision). His other melds have no E in them, and therefore cannot be seen by the party (or enemies).

• He has his bow out and knocked.

Angis: Bow in hand, with a durable arrow nocked.

• He waits until just before combat is imminent, at which point he casts shield other on Quinn (who lowers his SR for the spell) from his kusarigama Dancing Wasp. Once that is active, it lasts for 5 hours.
    • In darkened environs, he only has low-light vision to aid him.

Dorit War-Bear: Since she is the primary door-checker, her longsword is normally sheathed as she walks around with Inge Daygrabber readied as both shield and first-strike weapon.

• Note that her 20’ speed pretty much sets the speed for the party.
    • Also, in dark areas she has no exceptional vision and needs light.

Lyrie Akenja: If combat is imminent, Lyrie will cast mage armor. It has a duration of 5 hours.

• If combat is likely, but not necessarily imminent, she will manifest detect hostile intent (3 PP) and that lasts 50 minutes.
    • She posses an ioun torch that provides light in a 20’ radius. This is the group’s “torch.”

Quinn: Upon encountering a new party/ force, he will use his SLA detect evil. Though it is an at will SLA (and he therefore doesn’t show as casting), he isn’t a paladin, so he requires the full three rounds (usually in attempted parley) to pinpoint sources of evil.

• Quinn has crafter’s fortune active on him. Every five days he prepares that extract, and it has a duration of 5 days.

Spoiler: Currently Active Buffs & the like
    Show
    Aric: Melds darkvision (as above), as well as his other melds.
    Angis: Shield other on Quinn.
    Lyrie: Mage armor and detect hostile intent. Ioun torch providing light for group.
    Quinn: Crafter's Fortune (4 days remaining).
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-06-07 at 10:39 AM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The group of you slide into the trapdoor and move into formation, walking carefully and sure footed down the corridor. The walls appear to be made of some kind of metal, although no kind that any of you have ever seen before. Approximately 50 feet down the path, you discover the first trap, one so obvious and clear that a child would see it, and quickly disable the tripwire without setting it off. Another 20 feet further, there is a door to the parties right, which is determined to have no traps upon it. Once certain it is safe, and listened in, it is determined that the room is likely empty and carefully you open the door and start in. The room appears to be a sleeping quarters, containing beds for approximately 20 medium sized creatures. Little exists in the way of ornamentation, but the room is empty otherwise.

Continue on or something else?

16. - Top - End - #16

Do a search of the room. We need to get a sense of who these people are, and perhaps some sense of motivation/ origin.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A thorough search of the room does not find any useful items. The beds are cold and obviously haven't been used in several hours.

18. - Top - End - #18

Continue onwards ...
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Having completed your search of the room, you head back into the hallway and start back down in the direction you were going. After a short while, you come across a junction. The path splits to either side, and you can hear what sounds like movement down the left path.

Which direction?

20. - Top - End - #20

The idea of stealth in this place is ludicrous for this party (especially with Dorit), so the party continues towards the sound of movement. We need to get a sense of what we may be up against, so avoiding conflict only puts us further into a flytrap.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Moving down the corridor to the noise, you hear the movement coming your direction. As you approach the end of the corridor before it turns to the right, a group of Humans and a Halfling turn the corner, in a formation with two humans in front, side by side, while the other two step out about 5 foot behind the first two. A quick glance tells you that the first two are wearing heavy armor carrying longswords and shields. the halfling is unarmored, and apparently unarmed, and the last human is lightly armored but apparently unarmed. As they see you the first one lets out a shout of surprise.

Aric is up first. Dorit and Quinn, at the front, are currently 45 feet away from the front two of the enemy party,

22. - Top - End - #22

Aric moves forward 30', hands outstretched (but not up, which would make it harder for others to target him). He calls out, "Welcome, gentlemen. I've been expecting you. Calm yourselves. We've had a problem with security of late. I am Lord Cloutier, and I have been sent to conduct a loyalty questionnaire for all personnel. Please follow me back to the bunkroom, and I and my associates will be asking some basic questions."
    Spoiler: Bluff
    Show
    First, if nothing else, just trying to buy time and get a read on the folks. Specific details beyond what has been said, general feeling from them, and yeah .... if good enough ... trying to fast talk them.

Perception (1d20+14)[29]
    Sense Motive (1d20+7)[12]

Bluff (1d20+12)[27]
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

One of the first men, in the lead, seems ready to draw his weapon, but hesitates. "I ain't heard of no Lord on this thing. Da boss says to kill anyone I dun know. He seems to be ready to draw his blade, but is nonetheless hesitating.

Initiative-wise, Dorit is up next.

24. - Top - End - #24

Dorit looks at the man with a stern look. "I'd shut your mouth and listen, if I were you."
    Spoiler: Dorit
    Show
    Intimidate (1d20+8)[20] to get him to slow his roll.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The man stops where he is, his sword hand relaxing as he listens. "Talk den."

Angis is up next, but anyone in the party can talk if need be.

26. - Top - End - #26

Angis is thankful that the fop was able to help him get a few seconds to assess the situation. He clears his throat, and Aric acknowledges him, not understanding what is about to happen.

Angis simply takes out his bow and shoots whatever member of the other group seems to still be flat-footed and not behind cover (the halfling is preferred if he fits the bill).
    Spoiler
    Show
    MA: Either simply take out bow, or move and take out bow, but make sure he is within 40' of his target.
    SA: Shoot a durable arrow (1d20+12)[25], damage (1d8+3)[4] + sneak attack (if applicable) (3d6)[11].
    * If sneak attack scored, he has Bleeding Attack, so target suffers 2 bleed/ round until healed (DC 15 or any magical healing).
    * He has the Deadly Range ninja trick, so ranged sneak attack is 40'.
    * If he shoots when w/in 30', he gets +1 to hit/ damage (Point Blank Shot).
    * He has Precise Shot, though nobody is in melee right now, so that doesn't really apply.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Angis moves out to the front of the formation, drawing his bow and firing a quick shot into the other groups midst, scoring a clean and clearly painful shot for 15 damage on the halfling in the backline.

The man in the back, next to the halfling, suddenly draws the image of an arrow in the air, and a spectral arrow forms and launches towards Angis. His aim seems to be very poor though, as the shot , while obviously aimed for you, manages to lodge itself in a ceiling tile. The man curses and moves out in front of the halfling, hoping to block further shots towards him.

The halfling, clearly hurting, backs around the corner, pulling what appears to be a small harp from his back as he moves. Once he's out of sight, you hear the sound of beautiful music echoing down the hall, and the others seem to be more responsible with the sound.

Spoiler: Someone
    Show
    You can recognize that the Halfling is a Bard playing Inspire Courage

Lyrie is up. She is currently 50 ft away from the pair in the lead. 55 away from the Soulbolt, and the corner the bard retreated around is 65 feet away.

28. - Top - End - #28

Lyrie moves forward, keeping Skivver falling from out of her pouch, drawing her wand of magic missiles as she goes. She gets within range of the spell she wants to use, and targets one of the heavily-armored thugs, hoping he'll be weakened enough to have a problem moving in such a big can.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    MA: Move 20' forward and draw wand.
    SA: Cast ray of enfeeblement at either of the two full-plated guys (1d20+10)[19], includes PBS bonus.
    * Damage = 1d6+1 STR, with additional +1 for PBS, with additional +2 for Sniper Style (mantra) = (1d6+4)[7]
    * Hope, he is relatively immobilized in his heavy armor.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lyrie's Ray lands a clean hit upon one of the men in front, and he is clearly now struggling to move.

The other heavily armored man lunges into a charge at Lyrie, having recognized her actions as magic, and brings his sword down hard on her. Unfortunately, possibly due to his apparent rage, he instead manages to bounce his blade off the wall and recoil momentarily.

Quinn is up next.

30. - Top - End - #30

Asanasath has not been with Quinn very long, and certainly not in a major fight, so he lacks some of Quinn's discretion. The investigator holds out his hand and simply thinks, and a wall of spinning blades forms behind the man that advanced on Lyrie.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

SA: Cast blade barrier. The idea is to isolate one of them on "our" side while keeping all of our friendlies on our side as well.
    * Blade barrier will last for 6 min., does (6d6)[20] force damage (Ref DC 23 halves) to those who cross, and acts as cover on any attacks made through it (including friendlies.

NOTE: I know that this is not the tactically best decision (nor the best time to "throw away" this ability), but makes sense at this time with Q&A getting to know each other.
    Show