New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1025262728293031323334353637383940414243444560 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1828
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q492: DMG says a creature that is subject to nonlethal damage is "beset by frostbite or hypothermia" (and treats them as fatigue). Frostburn contradicts this as it treats both conditions as seperate, but the wording doesn't say "or" it says under each condition that a character that takes nonlethal damge from cold or exposure is beset by that condition (but as says "as it says in the DMG..."). Is the assumption then that a creature should be subject to both or one or the other? (50/50 maybe, but it never makes a suggestion.) It's highly unclear.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-04-01 at 04:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q493
    About contingency spell: can I have as a contingent spell a cleric spell if he casts the spell when I cast contingency? The contingency spell says that they have to be cast at the same time, not that "you have to cast them at the same time"

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q.494 Can you initiate a maneuver while you are raging?

Q495can you iron heart surge away your rage?

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mrark View Post
    Q493
    About contingency spell: can I have as a contingent spell a cleric spell if he casts the spell when I cast contingency? The contingency spell says that they have to be cast at the same time, not that "you have to cast them at the same time"
    A 493
    Sorry, but the spell description is clearer than you think.

"You can place another spell upon your person"

In a spell description, "you" always designate the caster of the spell. So, the only one that can place the companion spell is the caster, and only on his person. He cannot cast contingency on another, and cannot receive the spell from another.

On the other hand, it can be a clerical spell if the character is capable of casting both them and contingency (a mystic theurge, for example), since the description doesn't limit it to arcane spells.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Q496 What happens if you try to polymorph/wildshape/etc into a Large or greater form when a creature occupies a space your new form would enter?

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q497: when you use a magic bow with magic arrows, do the enhancement boosts stack? I've always considered it so and never questioned it, but I just realize they are both enhancement - although one is from the weapon and one is from the arrow

Q498: when using a contingency, can you use someone else to cast the companion spell? I've always assumed that you have to cast the companion spell, but I was pointed out that nobody in the spell description is that said. it only says that they are cast at the same time.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A497 3.0: Yes, they stack. 3.5: No, they don't.

A498: You have to cast the contingent spell.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You can place another spell...
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2020-04-06 at 11:12 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    Q497: when you use a magic bow with magic arrows, do the enhancement boosts stack? I've always considered it so and never questioned it, but I just realize they are both enhancement - although one is from the weapon and one is from the arrow
    They do not stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The enhancement bonus from a ranged weapon does not stack with the enhancement bonus from ammunition. Only the higher of the two enhancement bonuses applies.
    Q498: when using a contingency, can you use someone else to cast the companion spell? I've always assumed that you have to cast the companion spell, but I was pointed out that nobody in the spell description is that said. it only says that they are cast at the same time.
    You have to cast it yourself. (This is not the case for Craft Contingent Spell, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Q.494 Can you initiate a maneuver while you are raging?
    Sure, unless it requires an incompatible skill (looking at you, Diamond Mind).

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Q495can you iron heart surge away your rage?
    Sure.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A497 3.0: Yes, they stack. 3.5: No, they don't.
    Historical correction, in 3.0, masterwork enhancement bonuses could stack, but not magical enhancement bonuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.0 SRD
    Masterwork ranged weapon bonuses to attack and masterwork ammunition (arrows, crossbow bolts, and sling bullets) attack bonuses stack with each other (but not with enhancement bonuses).
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2020-04-06 at 11:18 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q499
    Question about shapechange: if I were to cast it to turn myself in a Pit Fiend, would my equipment still stay on me, adapting to my new form? Or not? or just a part of it? If so, what items would I keep? and are the bonus from "shapechanged items" lost or do they still count?

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 500 (Woot!)

Does Piece Magical Concealment overcome the Miss chance caused by an Eversmoking Bottle?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q499
    Question about shapechange: if I were to cast it to turn myself in a Pit Fiend, would my equipment still stay on me, adapting to my new form? Or not? or just a part of it? If so, what items would I keep? and are the bonus from "shapechanged items" lost or do they still count?
    A499 Yes, since the pit fiend can be reasonably considered as having a humanoid-like form. This article (which belongs to the "rules of the game" series, i.e. quite more reliable than the FAQ) provides more information:

For purposes of most polymorph effects, one can divide creatures into types that have basically humanoid shapes and those that do not, as follows:

Humanoid Shapes Nonhumanoid Shapes
    Fey Aberration
    Giant Animal
    Humanoid Dragon
    Monstrous Humanoid Elemental
    Outsider* Ooze
    Vermin
    *Most, but not all outsiders have humanoid shapes.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q501
    For all the spells who state "one every x levels": where do I start the counting?
    Let's say, I am a level 4 wizard casting mirror image: the spell states "When mirror image is cast, 1d4 images plus one image per three caster levels (maximum eight images total) are created."
    So at 4th level, do I get 1d4+2 mirror images or 1d4+1?

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

A 501 While some spells specify otherwise, you usually start counting at level one. So something that happens at every three levels would happen at levels three, six, nine, etc.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    A 501 While some spells specify otherwise, you usually start counting at level one. So something that happens at every three levels would happen at levels three, six, nine, etc.
    If you start at level one, shouldn't it be 1-4-7-10 etc..?

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

If you start at level one, shouldn't it be 1-4-7-10 etc..?
    "+1 per three caster levels" is one at level 3, two at level six, three at level nine, et cetera.

If it's something that you'd be able to cast at a lower level, they usually have a minimum of +1.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ettin in the Playground

Q502: Is [Earth] an energy descriptor? I know it's a spell descriptor. I know it might not be a type of energy damage. But is it an energy descriptor?

Asking to know if an [earth] spell, like hail of stone, would be a valid target for a metamagic that requires an energy descriptor, like elemental admixture.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    Q502: Is [Earth] an energy descriptor? I know it's a spell descriptor. I know it might not be a type of energy damage. But is it an energy descriptor?

Asking to know if an [earth] spell, like hail of stone, would be a valid target for a metamagic that requires an energy descriptor, like elemental admixture.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Q 500 (Woot!)

Does Piece Magical Concealment overcome the Miss chance caused by an Eversmoking Bottle?
    No.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q503

Maybe a stupid question, but...

Are the Githyanki detailed in Manual of the Planes a distinct race from the psionic Githyanki in XPH? Is one an update of the other? If they are distinct races, are the MoTP version playable, with an LA listed?

19. - Top - End - #1039

A503: The "FREE D&D® V.3.5 ACCESSORY UPDATE" for Manual of the Planes makes no special mention of githyanki; the Monster Manual is the primary source for githyanki in a regular campaign (being the 3.5 printing of the race), while the Expanded Psionics Handbook asserts itself as the source for githyanki in a psionic campaign instead. Whether your setting uses the Manual of the Planes githyanki as well is your call, but there is no LA to give.
    Last edited by Powerdork; 2020-04-09 at 01:02 AM.
    The future is bright.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Quote Originally Posted by Metool View Post
    A503: The "FREE D&D® V.3.5 ACCESSORY UPDATE" for Manual of the Planes makes no special mention of githyanki; the Monster Manual is the primary source for githyanki in a regular campaign (being the 3.5 printing of the race), while the Expanded Psionics Handbook asserts itself as the source for githyanki in a psionic campaign instead. Whether your setting uses the Manual of the Planes githyanki as well is your call, but there is no LA to give.
    I completely forgot Githyanki appear in the MM, d'oh!

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q504

Is there a limit to the number of Relics a character can be attuned too? Relics from Complete Divine.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q505: when you use wish to get an inherent bonus to a physical stat, and then you polimorph, replacing your physical stats with that of the new form, do you keep the bonus on the new form, or not?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

23. - Top - End - #1043

Q505: when you use wish to get an inherent bonus to a physical stat, and then you polimorph, replacing your physical stats with that of the new form, do you keep the bonus on the new form, or not?
    A 505
    An inherent bonus is still a bonus, so it is added to the new physical stat.

Note that this is also true on the other side for ability damage or drain.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Afghanistan View Post
    Q504

Is there a limit to the number of Relics a character can be attuned too? Relics from Complete Divine.
    In theory, no. In practice, two, since you must be devoted to a single deity to activate the relic powers of their relics, and no deity has more than two relics. However, you could still use relics from other deities without activating their relic powers, assuming you are the correct alignment (or can fake the correct alignment with a Use Magic Device check).

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

Q506 Is there a way to make non-core spells permanent? In particular, I'm trying to find a way to make dark way permanent rather than 1/round per level.

Q507 Is there a way to make antimagic field centered on an object or a point in space, rather than on the caster?

26. - Top - End - #1046

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Q506 Is there a way to make non-core spells permanent? In particular, I'm trying to find a way to make dark way permanent rather than 1/round per level.
    A506: Barring more sure-fire answers, the permanency spell description states that you can't know what your DM thinks of letting you use permanency unless you attempt the research, so it's worth attempting.
    The DM may allow other selected spells to be made permanent. Researching this possible application of a spell costs as much time and money as independently researching the selected spell (see the Dungeon Master’s Guide for details). If the DM has already determined that the application is not possible, the research automatically fails. Note that you never learn what is possible except by the success or failure of your research.
    Q507 Is there a way to make antimagic field centered on an object or a point in space, rather than on the caster?
    A greater glyph of warding spell glyph lets a sorcerer, wizard, or caster with the magic or protection domains center an antimagic field on an "intruder".
    On the Material Plane, the anchor plane power (Faiths of Eberron p. 152) creates a manifest zone with one planar trait from a plane you choose; if you're not in Eberron, then ask your DM about emulating the limited magic of the Outlands, or find a plane in the cosmology you're using that has a suitable limited magic trait.
    Last edited by Powerdork; 2020-04-13 at 11:42 AM.
    The future is bright.

27. - Top - End - #1047

A 506 addition

Beyond the permanency spell, there are also the basic rules for creating magic items, which include the possibility of having a spell effect be continuous for the wearer. This is the most expensive option, and with a spell that has a duration in rounds said cost is further multiplied by 4, but that should work.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A 505
    An inherent bonus is still a bonus, so it is added to the new physical stat.

Note that this is also true on the other side for ability damage or drain.
    Q505b: how about age modifiers? do they work the same way?
    because i checked in the srd, and nowhere are they referred to as "modifiers", or bonus/penalty. from what I understand, aging causes an actual change to your stats, so it won't get ported when polymorphed. but I'm asking to be sure
    Last edited by King of Nowhere; 2020-04-14 at 02:16 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 508: Is the Charnel Touch ability always on, like some other supernatural abilities? I.E. is the ability claiming that negative energy always runs through a dread necromancer's body concentrating on their hands? Or is that first statement merely fluff and the actual ability is the second line. I.E. the ability is a standard action to activate touch attack? If it is a standard action, why the disclaimer that you can do it only once per round. Barring obscure ways to get more than one standard action a round, that contingency seems quite redundant and unnecessary.

Q 509 Then there is a lich. The MM I would have us believe that the lich has a natural ability, natural weapon, touch attack that deals negative energy. Also this touch attack's negative energy can be re-allocated to any other natural weapon such that you could combine it with a bite attack. But it too can only use it's touch attack once per round. Does this mean a lich without weapons doesn't threaten squares if he has used his touch attack that round? If a lich has not used his touch attack this round and he makes an AoO with his touch attack, does the paralyzing touch rider go off as well or is this rider a standard action to activate ability?
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

30. - Top - End - #1050

Q505b: how about age modifiers? do they work the same way?
    because i checked in the srd, and nowhere are they referred to as "modifiers", or bonus/penalty. from what I understand, aging causes an actual change to your stats, so it won't get ported when polymorphed. but I'm asking to be sure
    That's indeed trickier. One can argue that, when polymorphed, you turn into an "average" member of the species, average meaning adult but not older, so age modifiers would no longer apply. But I'm not entirely sure about that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature