New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Question. A Fangshield Barbarian, Druid or Ranger has to be a nonhumanoid creature. Does a Monstrous Humanoid count as a nonhumanoid creature (I don't believe it does but I'd like confirmation)?

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

A 201
    Monstrous humanoids are not humanoid type, so very likely. Rarely humanoid means "shaped like a human" so you might run into issue if your DM interpets it that way.

A 200
    Damage reduction applies to the final number. EX: you rolled 12 damage on a spear charge. DR 5/- reduced that to 7. You rolled 12 on a spirited lance charge, it is doubled to 24 and then reduced to 19. Note that as the damage dealer you are permitted you change the order to (12-5)x2 instead of (12x2)-5 if you should want to do markedly less damage.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2019-09-03 at 10:07 AM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

Q202

What races and templates exist that grant extra functional arms? I am aware of insectile, but the wording makes them sound vestigial. I am also aware of thri kreen, but the racial hd are a bit off putting.Finally, I am aware of Obah Blessed, but the current game disallows Dragon and Dungeon magazines. Spells and spell like won`t due, as anti magic zones are plentiful.

Are their any other options? The lower the hd/la, the better.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2019-09-03 at 01:34 PM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 199
    How exactly does the Death Rock work, with regard to spells known?
    A 199
    It says you gain the spellcasting ability of a sorcerer with a level equal to your own, but only know necromancy spells. Spellcasting ability includes both spells known and spells per day. It seems to me that you would learn new spells as you level up in the same way that a sorcerer does, but may only choose from necromancy spells when you do so.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Q202

What races and templates exist that grant extra functional arms? I am aware of insectile, but the wording makes them sound vestigial. I am also aware of thri kreen, but the racial hd are a bit off putting.Finally, I am aware of Obah Blessed, but the current game disallows Dragon and Dungeon magazines. Spells and spell like won`t due, as anti magic zones are plentiful.

Are their any other options? The lower the hd/la, the better.
    The arms of an insectile creature are fully functional. Some additional options you missed include diopsid for +1 LA (DC), sahuagin for +3 LA and 2 RHD (MM), and aberrant limbs for +2 LA (DMG2).

6. - Top - End - #396
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

A202 addition

there is also the non-psionic thri-kreen, it still has the 2 RHD, but only has a LA of +1, that is from shining south, pg 74

you can do any number of anthropomorphic creatures from savage species also

and while neither a race or template, you can take shape soulmeld for girallon arms, but you can't wield weapons with that although you can use them for nat attacks or to grapple
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 203

Is there a rules citation anywhere that it's only PCs who get max HP at 1st level?

Does this apply to NPCs with levels in a PC class?

Monsters with PC class levels?

Characters/creatures with NPC class (Adept, Expert etc.) class levels?

8. - Top - End - #398
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q204 - Would a samurai of any sort who has a bastard sword and is proficient be able to use that proficiency as the basis for the Exotic Weapon Master prestige class? (It seems like it should be a yes but it's such a weird weapon, can be used two-handed without the proficiency as if it was a martial weapon, so I wanted to make sure it met the criteria).

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

A205

Yes. EWM requires the feat EWP (x). CW Samurai gets EWP as a bonus feat.

If the class simply listed the weapon in their proficiencies without saying they get the feat for it, that technically wouldn't qualify since the only exemption listed is racial.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

10. - Top - End - #400
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Q206

So the PrC Frost Mage has the feature "Gain Knowledge"

Gain Knowledge (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, the frost mage gains knowledge of the spell conjure ice beast I, if he does not already have it. Former wizards get to add this spell to their spellbooks for free, and former sorcerers and bards get to add this spell to their spells known, even if this takes them over their normal limit. For each two levels gained in the prestige class, he gains knowledge of the next higher level in the conjure ice beast spell progression (conjure ice beast II at 5th level, conjure ice beast III at 7th level, and conjure ice beast IV at 9th level). At 7th level, in addition to gaining conjure ice beast III, the frost mage gains animate snow as a spell known. At 9th level, in addition to gaining conjure ice beast IV, the frost mage gains frostfell as a spell known.

This class feature does not change the level of the spell. A frost mage still must have a spell slot of the appropriate level to prepare or cast a spell acquired through the gain knowledge ability.

Conjure Ice Beast 1-4 and Animate Snow do not appear on the Sorcerer spell list, as such I assume it's safe to say that a Sorcerer taking levels in Frost Mage would, for example, learn Animate Snow as a 6th level arcane spell.

However, the spell Frostfell is both an 8th level Druid spell and a 9th level Sorcerer spell. Would a Sorcerer taking levels of Frost Mage learn it as an 8th or 9th level spell?

tldr:

If a prestige class would allow a spontaneous caster to learn a spell that appears on the spell lists for multiple classes (Frostfell), are you forced to learn it at the level that it uses on the spell list of the class whose spells known/spells per day are being advanced by the prestige class, or can you choose to learn it at the level a different class would?
    Last edited by lucmarin; 2019-09-05 at 12:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Q 203

Is there a rules citation anywhere that it's only PCs who get max HP at 1st level?

Does this apply to NPCs with levels in a PC class?

Monsters with PC class levels?

Characters/creatures with NPC class (Adept, Expert etc.) class levels?
    A203

Page 110 of the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide says:

Elite characters (whether they are PCs or not) have above average ability scores and automatically get maximum hit points from their first Hit Die. Average characters, on the other hand, have average abilities (rolled on 3d6) and don't get maximum hit points from their first Hit Die. The monsters described in the Monster Manual are average characters rather than elite ones (though elite monsters also exist).
    I'm not aware of any passages contradicting this, so I think the answer to your original question is no, and I assume that this would apply to any of the examples you have, so long as they're elite.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q207
    Is there RAW for alchemical items and special materials to NOT be counted as magic items?

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Q 208

Do PC races that have RHD have to start play with a level in a class? For example, would a Lizardfolk (2RHD, +1 LA) be able to join an ECL 3 group (where the non-LA PCs will have 3 class levels) with only it's RHD, or must it start with it's 2 RHD and a class level, for an ECL of 4?

14. - Top - End - #404

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q207
    Is there RAW for alchemical items and special materials to NOT be counted as magic items?
    A 207
    Magic items are cited as having a number of prerequisites to craft, including a minimum caster level to cast, an item crafting feat, an XP cost to craft, and usually require one or more spells except in the case of generic things like adding a plain old enhancement bonus to an item. The only exception is artifacts which can not be crafted normally. Magic items also invariably emit a magic aura, and generally require some knowledge of the item in order to activate and use them.
    None of these rules or qualities apply to alchemical items or special materials and therefore they are not magic items, and are not magical in nature unless specifically mentioned to be so in their description.
    Notably, holy water and the everburning torch are specifically called out as not being craftable with craft (alchemy).
    Everburning torch is created with a permanent spell effect so, while not a "magic item" per se, this specific item does happen to be magical in nature and could be dispelled or suppressed as such.
    Holy water is the result of an instantaneous spell effect and is magical in nature. It may have a residual magic aura from the spell that created it, but whether a dispel or antimagic field would affect it is debatable.

15. - Top - End - #405

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    Holy water is the result of an instantaneous spell effect and is magical in nature. It may have a residual magic aura from the spell that created it, but whether a dispel or antimagic field would affect it is debatable.
    A 207 addition
    I asked the question about holy water recently. The answer leaned strongly toward "no".
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #406
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

A208

Q 208

Do PC races that have RHD have to start play with a level in a class? For example, would a Lizardfolk (2RHD, +1 LA) be able to join an ECL 3 group (where the non-LA PCs will have 3 class levels) with only it's RHD, or must it start with it's 2 RHD and a class level, for an ECL of 4?
    From d20srd Monsters As Races section

Level Adjustment and Effective Character Level
    To determine the effective character level (ECL) of a monster character, add its level adjustment to its racial Hit Dice and character class levels.

Use ECL instead of character level to determine how many experience points a monster character needs to reach its next level. Also use ECL to determine starting wealth for a monster character.

Monster characters treat skills mentioned in their monster entry as class skills.

If a monster has 1 Hit Die or less, or if it is a template creature, it must start the game with one or more class levels, like a regular character. If a monster has 2 or more Hit Dice, it can start with no class levels (though it can gain them later).

Even if the creature is of a kind that normally advances by Hit Dice rather than class levels a PC can gain class levels rather than Hit Dice.
    So a Lizardfolk PC could join an ECL 3 group with only its RHD. While a character with 1 or less RHD would have to replace its RHD with a class level.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 209

How does the morphing weapon enhancment interact with special materials such as adamantine?

The example in the description does indicate a composite bow from a longsword. What if said longsword was adamantine? Does this bypass the rule that the bow can't be made of metal or you get a default wooden composite bow instead?

Q 209b

Do you choose the max str bonus/min str score for the morphing composite bow or is it calculated by the base weapon's price?

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

A 209 and 209 b

I am not sure where you get this, but projectile weapons cannot have the morphing property:
    Quote Originally Posted by MIC p. 39
    Property: Melee or thrown weapon
    [...]
    You can reshape a morphing weapon into any other melee or thrown weapon of the same size and type (light, one-handed, or two-handed). For instance, a morphing greatsword could become a spear, greataxe, or dire flail.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2019-09-07 at 04:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 209 and 209 b

I am not sure where you get this, but projectile weapons cannot have the morphing property:
    " For instance, a morphing longsword could become a battleaxe or a composite longbow."

https://www.realmshelps.net/magic/weapon/Morphing

Listed source is Underdark. 3.0 material but i thought it wasn't updated.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2019-09-07 at 08:02 AM.

Generalist Sorcerer

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 210

Can factotum's opportunistic piety fuel divine feats?
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

Q 211

The Jambiya is a martial weapon (RoF p.156); it's stats appear to be similar to a kukri, with lower base damage. It has an asterisk which denotes "See the description of this weapon for special rules".

However, the description has no special rules (i.e. not denoted as being able to use for trip attempts, bonus to disarm etc.):

Jambiya: This hooked dagger, common among the Cali****es and Zakharans, leaves long, thin wounds in its target.
    ...I can't find any errata or updates for RoF. Was the jambiya ever given additional properties anywhere else?

22. - Top - End - #412
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

A210

I don't think so, Complete Divine specifies that using a divine feat costs 'a minimum of one turn or rebuke attempt from your remaining attempts per day'. Opportunistic piety can turn undead, but it can also be used to heal injuries or harm undead, so remaining uses of the ability would not count as 'turn attempts'.

A211

This is probably a reach on my part, but the text specifies that the weapon is a dagger, and you get a +2 bonus on sleight of hand checks to conceal a dagger. That might be what they were clarifying.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Q212:

Battlemagic perception allows you to counterspell as a free action. How is that possible? Do you ready a free action on your turn? Can you even ready an action that is not a standard action?

Generalist Sorcerer

24. - Top - End - #414
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

A212

Readying is always a standard action, however you can ready a standard action, move action, or free action.

Regarding Battlemagic Perception, I think the wording of the spell is fairly confusing. However, as I understand it BMP allows you to sense a spell being cast, roll a spellcraft check, and counterspell as a free action without having to first take a ready action.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q213:

I thought this was a specific rule but cannot find it. Where does it say in the DMG that magic items can only cost < 200,000 gp before going epic?

Q214:

Is it specified anywhere in the DMG what the limit is on bonuses to skills/stats/saves from magic items (specifically before epic if possible)?

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q215:

I have a feeling this may have been asked before:

Regarding Overchannel (psionic feat from Expanded Psionics Handbook), where it says "At 8th level,
    ..." and "At 15th level, ..." does the level refer to your class level, manifester level, or character level?

I'm inclined to believe it's Character level and my DM is willing to go by that interpretation, but knowing that psionics can be considerably more powerful than spellcasting I want to be sure.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 215

It's a feat, so the default is for it to refer to character level.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by reddir View Post
    Q213:

I thought this was a specific rule but cannot find it. Where does it say in the DMG that magic items can only cost < 200,000 gp before going epic?

Q214:

Is it specified anywhere in the DMG what the limit is on bonuses to skills/stats/saves from magic items (specifically before epic if possible)?
    A213/214:

The relevant rules are in the Epic Level Handbook rather than the DMG. Start on page 123.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 216

Polymorph Any Object is based on Polymorph, Polymorph is based on Alter Self, and Alter Self doesn't change amount of hit points:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses all remain the same.
    Question: what's will happen with hp number, if target creature was PAOed into something with more HD than it's original hp?
    I mean - every HD, by definition, gives at least 1 hp, right?
    (With exception of certain traits and flaws.)

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 217

What is the maximum value for magic items, if you play without the Epic Level Handbook?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2019-09-11 at 12:23 PM.