Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Quote Originally Posted by Ruethgar View Post
    Q334

There was an ability somewhere for a caster to split higher level spells into lower level ones. I think it was mutually exclusive with Versetile Spellcaster without shenanigans, but my google foo fails me. Anyone recall what it was?
    A334 uncanny forethought from exemplars of evil or maybe it was elder evils, I forget, both the evils books use "e" alliteration.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    A334 uncanny forethought from exemplars of evil or maybe it was elder evils, I forget, both the evils books use "e" alliteration.
    Re: A334 While interesting, that was not what I was looking for. There was an option that allowed you to split spells similar to Versetile Spellcaster in reverse, almost certainly a prepared or wizard only option.

Edit: Finally found it. Arcane Manipulation: Lost Empires of Faerun p6.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2019-11-10 at 02:33 PM.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 335
    Here's a little trick I've thought of using with an Ultimate Magus, just checking if it's entirely RAW-compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Mage
    Expanded Spell Knowledge (Ex): At 2nd level, you can select one 0th- or 1st-level arcane spell from your spellbook and add it to the list of arcane spells known for a spontaneous casting class, even if you can't yet spontaneously cast spells of that level. (In this case, you would know the spell but wouldn't be able to cast it until you had spell slots of the appropriate level.)

You can add another spell from your spellbook to your list of spells known every two levels thereafter. At 4th level, this can be a 0th-, 1st-, or 2nd-level spell. At 6th level, this can be any spell of 3rd level or lower. At 8th level, this spell can be of 4th level or lower, and at 10th level it can be of 5th level or lower.
    With this feature, an Ultimate Magus can "know" a spell of higher level than he can cast on the spontaneous casting class side. If you combine this with the Versatile Spellcaster feat, can the Ultimate Magus then cast said spell by spending two spells of one level lower (probably the highest spell level the character can cast normally), as long as he has a sufficient caster level (which Arcane Spell Power, another Ultimate Magus feature, certainly provides)?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2019-11-11 at 05:47 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

4. - Top - End - #694
    Troll in the Playground

A 335

Yes, that should work. It's similar to the Versatile Spellcaster / Heighten Spell trick, which is a classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 336

A. Could a Sorcerer 4/Favored Soul 4 with Versatile Spellcaster use two of his first-level Sorcerer spell slots to cast one of his second-level Favored Soul spells known, or vice-versa?

B. Could he use one first-level slot from each class to cast his second-level spells?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 336: Yes

Looking at the wording of the feat, it simply trades spontaneous spell slots for a higher-level spell, no restriction on the casting class is given.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Q 336

A. Could a Sorcerer 4/Favored Soul 4 with Versatile Spellcaster use two of his first-level Sorcerer spell slots to cast one of his second-level Favored Soul spells known, or vice-versa?

B. Could he use one first-level slot from each class to cast his second-level spells?
    No. You cannot use spell slots from one class to spontaneously cast spells from another class.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Q 337

Is there a RAW hard cap on animal intelligence? Relatedly, does changing type from animal disqualify an animal from being an animal companion?
    If no to both above, does that mean you can buff your animal companion to d10 HD and full BAB by casting Foxís Cunning on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

9. - Top - End - #699

BarbarianGuy

Q338:

Is there anything preventing a monster with both the Awesome Blow feat (MM1) and the Knockback feat (Races of Stone) from using both of these feats on the same attack? Thus, a struck target would have to make a Reflex save AND an opposed Bull Rush check?

If the target fails both checks, are the distances added together to determine how far the target is pushed backward? (Minimum 15 feet if they stack, but potentially higher if he fails the Bull Rush resist check hard.)

Spoiler: Feat descriptions
    Show
    Awesome Blow [General, Fighter]
    Prerequisites: Str 25, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, size Large or larger.
    Benefit: As a standard action, the creature may choose to subtract 4 from its melee attack roll and deliver an awesome blow. If the creature hits a corporeal opponent smaller than itself with an awesome blow, its opponent must succeed on a Reflex save (DC = damage dealt) or be knocked flying 10 feet in a direction of the attacking creatureís choice and fall prone. The attacking creature can only push the opponent in a straight line, and the opponent canít move closer to the attacking creature than the square it started in. If an obstacle prevents the completion of the opponentís move, the opponent and the obstacle each take 1d6 points of damage, and the opponent stops in the space adjacent to the obstacle.

Knockback [General]
    Prerequisite: Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, size Large or larger (goliaths qualify ... powerful build ...)
    Benefit: If you score a hit while you are using the Power Attack feat, you can make a free bull rush attempt against the foe you hit, applying the number by which you reduced your attack roll as a bonus on the opposed Strength check (as well as on the damage you deal). If you hit with a two-handed weapon, you can apply double that number on the opposed Strength check. Unlike standard bull rush attempts, knockback attempts don't provoke attacks of opportunity, and you don't move with the enemy you knock backward. ...

10. - Top - End - #700

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    Q338:

Is there anything preventing a monster with both the Awesome Blow feat (MM1) and the Knockback feat (Races of Stone) from using both of these feats on the same attack? Thus, a struck target would have to make a Reflex save AND an opposed Bull Rush check?

If the target fails both checks, are the distances added together to determine how far the target is pushed backward? (Minimum 15 feet if they stack, but potentially higher if he fails the Bull Rush resist check hard.)
    [/SPOILER]
    A 338
    There is no way the distances could stack. Similar attacks never have stacking effects unless those are explicitly stated in their descriptions.

It's an "either one of the two" work case. I guess you can make an attack trying to trigger both feats (which is a bad idea, because the maluses to hit do stack, reducing the chances of hitting in the first place) but then it's either the effects of the Awesome Blow that are applied, or the Knockback, but not both (if the enemy is blown away, it's no longer here to be bull-rushed).

It's entirely up to the DM to determine which one is applied first; I would rule the Awesome Blow, since it's more powerful (it does damage and make the target prone). If the saving throw is succeeded, then the Knockback is resolved next. It the saving throw is missed, the Knockback is ignored as no longer relevant.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q339

How does Epic Pricing work? Do you still *combine* the special abilities and enhancement bonus 'sides', or are they done seperately if one side is non-epic. For example, a +5 Vorpal Weapon (+10 total but neither side is epic) is 200,000. If I wanted to make that a +6 Vorpal Weapon would that become 2,240,000 (an Epic +11 Weapon) or would you calculate 720,000 for the epic +6 and 50,000 for the non epic +5 worth of special abilities?

12. - Top - End - #702
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

A339

I'm afraid it's the more expensive 2.24Mgp option. There is no price difference between a +11 weapon, a +6 Vorpal weapon, or a +5 Vorpal Flaming weapon.

13. - Top - End - #703

Q 340

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Each +1 of enhancement bonus adds 2 to the hardness of armor, a weapon, or a shield and +10 to the itemís hit points.
    Question: Since these bonuses are linked to the enhancement bonus of the item, do they go away in an anti-magic shield?

Corollary: If so, what happens if a magic weapon that had been damaged, but is still holding up thanks to the above bonuses to hit points, is brought into an anti-magic shield? Does it break on the spot?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2019-11-13 at 08:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 340

Question: Since these bonuses are linked to the enhancement bonus of the item, do they go away in an anti-magic shield?

Corollary: If so, what happens if a magic weapon that had been damaged, but is still holding up thanks to the above bonuses to hit points, is brought into an anti-magic shield? Does it break on the spot?
    Here's the relevant rule:
    Magic items with continuous effects do not function in the area of an antimagic effect, but their effects are not canceled (so the contents of a bag of holding are unavailable, but neither spill out nor disappear forever).
    Furthermore, while a magic sword does not function magically within the area, it is still a sword (and a masterwork sword at that).
    So it becomes a masterwork item, losing the bonuses; however, the effects aren't reversed, so it shouldn't "retroactively" break.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 341

Question came up at our table last night, and the DM made a call I don't agree with, but here goes.

Situation: enemy Assassin moves and casts Obscuring Mist. The party Druid had Call Lightning up, and on her turn lobbed a bolt into the last square that we saw the Assassin in. Assuming he hasn't moved, the bolt hits him automatically, and he makes a reflex save as normal?

The DM ruled a 50% "miss chance", because a.) the Druid no longer had line of sight to the square, and b.) he felt that Call Lightning is a "targeted spell", not an area effect spell (bolding mine - this is what the DM cited):

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may call down a 5-foot-wide, 30-foot-long, vertical bolt of lightning that deals 3d6 points of electricity damage. The bolt of lightning flashes down in a vertical stroke at whatever target point you choose within the spellís range (measured from your position at the time). Any creature in the target square or in the path of the bolt is affected.
    FWIW, I disagree with both of these points.

Am I right or wrong? And can I have some citations please.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 341

Question came up at our table last night, and the DM made a call I don't agree with, but here goes.

Situation: enemy Assassin moves and casts Obscuring Mist. The party Druid had Call Lightning up, and on her turn lobbed a bolt into the last square that we saw the Assassin in. Assuming he hasn't moved, the bolt hits him automatically, and he makes a reflex save as normal?

The DM ruled a 50% "miss chance", because a.) the Druid no longer had line of sight to the square, and b.) he felt that Call Lightning is a "targeted spell", not an area effect spell (bolding mine - this is what the DM cited):

Miss chances only apply to attack rolls, not area effects. There is no reading of the text that would result in a 50% miss chance in this scenario (unless you forgot to mention that the assassin is incorporeal). However, that said, if call lightning is indeed a targeted spell as your DM saysówhich, seeing as it specifically uses the word "target," is an entirely reasonable readingóthen it's actually even worse than that, because without line of sight (or physical contact), you can't use it at all. Relevant citation:
    Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself. You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target.
    You could also argue that this is strictly referring to the spell's "Target" line, and it doesn't apply to call lightning. Either reading is consistent with the text.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 341 cont.

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may call down a 5-foot-wide, 30-foot-long, vertical bolt of lightning that deals 3d6 points of electricity damage. The bolt of lightning flashes down in a vertical stroke at whatever target point you choose within the spellís range (measured from your position at the time). Any creature in the target square or in the path of the bolt is affected.

Building on Troacctid's excellent post...
    In your rules citation you didn't quite get the bolded part right, but the spell is confusingly worded (or at least not following the standards).
    The caster has to target a specific point or square and then generates the AoE down to that point or square.

Now as Troacctic said, if this is a targetted spell then you need to be able to see the target point for the spell to hit it, but at the same time, surely it is reasonable for the caster to aim the spell at the point they can no longer see - consider fireball?
    You point your finger and determine the range (distance and height) at which the fireball is to burst.
    Fireball clearly allows the spell to be sent to points that the caster cannot see (and may not exist if aimed into an illusion), it contains rules for what happens if the spell cannot reach the desired point.

Personally I think the DM's call a good one - there's no physical obstruction, but the caster is targetting the spell based on memory, but RAW Troacctid's quote says this use should not have been allowed.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Barbarian in the Playground

A 341 contention

Quote Originally Posted by Aiming a Spell
    The next entry in a spell description defines the spellís target (or targets), its effect, or its area, as appropriate.
    Since call lightning lacks a target entry, I think the only strict RAW answer is that it isn't a targeted spell.

Another reason that calling the spell's "target point" the equivalent of a target is a stretch is that a point in space isn't really a "creature or object", which we're told a target must be.

The more appropriate rules to use here are for line of effect, which is "not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight".
    The Age of Warriors (revived 2019) - Huge fanmade TOB sequel. Content needs PEACH and input.

19. - Top - End - #709

Q 342

Do the temporary hp a vampire lord gains from draining a creature stack with multiple applications?

I always assumed temp hp just flat never stacked unless it says otherwise in an ability, but I have a player who thinks differently, and I notice the SRD page on temporary hitpoints actually does not specify either way, while a lot of spells explicitly say they do not stack.

The vampire/vampire lord negative levels on slam abilitity, however, does not say anything about stacking or not stacking. My player is reasonable and we can just make a ruling and go on playing, but I would quite like to know what the RAW is on this.
    Throw the dice high.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessGnome View Post
    Q 342

Do the temporary hp a vampire lord gains from draining a creature stack with multiple applications?

I always assumed temp hp just flat never stacked unless it says otherwise in an ability, but I have a player who thinks differently, and I notice the SRD page on temporary hitpoints actually does not specify either way, while a lot of spells explicitly say they do not stack.

The vampire/vampire lord negative levels on slam abilitity, however, does not say anything about stacking or not stacking. My player is reasonable and we can just make a ruling and go on playing, but I would quite like to know what the RAW is on this.
    Generally, temp HP from different sources will stack; temp HP from the same source will not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules Compendium, page 72
    Temporary hit points gained from multiple applications of the same effect donít stack. Instead, the highest number of temporary hit points gained from that effect apply.

If temporary hit points are gained from multiple, different sources that stack, keep track of those sources and when they were gained separately. Any damage taken is first subtracted from the oldest effect that granted temporary hit points. When those are gone, subtract damage from the next oldest effect, and so on.

21. - Top - End - #711

Goblin

Q 343 A guy in my group just asked this, and I don't know the answer. The spell black sand from Sandstorm has this text:
    Creatures can make Reflex saves to avoid being caught in the area upon which the spell is first cast.
    Presumably, this means a creature making a successful save gets to move out of the area as part of the save. What are the rules for that kind of movement? Is there a defined limit for how far they can be moved? Does the movement provoke AoOs? Does it count for activating Skirmish? Or, do they not actually get any movement, and it's just saying you can't leave the area if you don't make the save?
    Blue Jay's Homebrew:
    Prestige Classes for Monsters
    Templates for Monster Characters

Work Related to Inevitability's Reassigned LAs:
    Savage Progressions using Reassigned LAs: MM (complete), MM3 (in progress)

22. - Top - End - #712

Q 344

If you have a slam attack whose damage scales by size, does Powerful Build increase your slam damage?
    The Age of Warriors (revived 2019) - Huge fanmade TOB sequel. Content needs PEACH and input.

23. - Top - End - #713

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Q 344

If you have a slam attack whose damage scales by size, does Powerful Build increase your slam damage?
    A 344
    Powerful Build usually states a specific size that you may count as for effects. If this size is larger than your current size and you are granted a natural attack which has damage that scales with size, then you may count as the listed size or your normal size for determining the damage you deal with this natural attack. Whichever is most beneficial to you.

If you are a creature with a pre-existing natural attack and powerful build then it is assumed that the natural attack has already been scaled appropriately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

24. - Top - End - #714

BarbarianGuy

Q 308

Intelligent items with Ego can gain a measure of control over characters using them, as detailed in the Items Against Characters section. As far as I can see, this ability is not specifically tagged as enchantment, or even mind-affecting.

a.) Can a character use Mind Blank to block this effect from a magic item?
    b.) Would a protection From Evil stop the item exerting control?
    c.) Can an item use this ability on a mindless creature, or creatures otherwise listed as being immune to mind-affecting effects such as Constructs, Plants or Undead?
    A 308 [Note, this answer contains spoilers for a published Eberron module.] Intelligent item ego is not enchantment or mind-affecting. As such, it can affect Constructs, Plants, and Undead.

Spoiler: Example published module that uses this as a main point of the module.
    Show
    The 3.5 module Whispers of the Vampire's Blade even uses this as its plot-driving premise, though the PC's (and the NPC's hiring them) are unaware of it at the start. The BBEG of the module is a spy who was turned into a Vampire, and ordered by his new Vampire Master to go steal a sword. The sword was intelligent, took control of the vampire villain the party is sent to chase after, and forced him to use his vampiric abilities to take it back home, to the country that forged it.

A 344 Contention: Powerful Build spells out specifically what it affects. Natural weapon damage is not one of those things. I.E. - It has zero affect on how much damage you deal with an unarmed strike or other natural weapon.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 345 If you cast a Transdimensional [Shadow] spell with your hand in a Shadow Cache, do you gain the extra reality from casting in the Plane of Shadow?

26. - Top - End - #716

BarbarianGuy

Q 346

This question is sort of a hybrid D&D and Pathfinder question, as I'm running the original Curse of the Crimson Throne AP in D&D 3.5.

The Red Mantis Assassin's Prayer Attack (Pathfinder #9, p. 70) class ability is a Supernatural Ability. Supernatural Abilities do not require concentration*. But the Prayer Attack ability is worded thusly:

Prayer Attack (Su): At 2nd level, a Red Mantis assassin gains this deadly attack. The mantis must be within 30 feet of her victim and must be visible to her victim. While wielding a sawtooth sabre, the assassin can begin weaving her weapon in a hypnotic pattern, fascinating her victim. Her victim can resist fascination by making a Will save against DC 10 + the Red Mantis assassinís class level + the Red Mantis assassinís Charisma modifier. By concentrating, the Red Mantis assassin can maintain this fascination, and after 3 rounds of fascination, she may make a coup de grace attack against her fascinated target...
    ... The victim can escape fascination before this coup de grace attack if the Red Mantis assassin ceases to concentrate on maintaining the effect. ...
    Can the Prayer Attack ability be interrupted by dealing damage to the Red Mantis Assassin, or otherwise doing something to force a Concentration check (much as if he were casting a spell with a long casting time)? Or is this merely meaning the RMA needs to spend his standard action each round maintaining the effect, and he cannot be forced to make a Concentration check which might disrupt his Prayer Attack?

* "supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity and never require Concentration checks."

Q 347 A If a different PC than the target of the RMA's Prayer Attack approaches the RMA during that three-round fascination period (during which the RMA is weaving his sabre), and does something which provokes an AoO, is there anything preventing the RMA from taking that AoO, and still maintaining the "concentration" on his Prayer Attack?

Q 347 B Related to the above question. Suppose a Green Hag Druid is casting a Summon Nature's Ally spell, and during the round she is casting, a foe walks right past her, provoking an AoO for movement. Can the spellcasting Druid take the AoO against the provoking foe without messing up her spell? Is the answer different if the Green Hag Druid has a shield equipped, and her only threatening weapon is the claw on the hand that is performing the somatic components of SNA?

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Q 348

One of the effects from a Rod of Wonder is to reduce (linking Reduce Person) the userís height to 1/12. How does this relate to size category changes?
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2019-11-19 at 11:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q349 does an artificers craft reserve grant craft points when they gain a non artificer level?

"Reserve: An artificer receives a pool of points he can spend instead of experience points when crafting a magic item. Each time the artificer gains a new level, he receives a new craft reserve; leftover points from the previous level do not carry over. If the points are not spent, they are lost. An artificer can also use his craft reserve to supplement the XP cost of the item he is making."

It doesn't specify artificer level, so do you get a new craft reserve of your last craft reserve amount if you pick up a non artificer level?

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Q 348

One of the effects from a Rod of Wonder is to reduce (linking Reduce Person) the userís height to 1/12. How does this relate to size category changes?
    A 348

I can't cite this as RAW, but for my own table I would calculate the new size category, and extrapolate ability mods etc. based on Reduce person (+2 Dex and -2 Str, min 1, per size category reduction) since the effect seems to be based on Reduce Person.

For instance, a 6-foot tall (Medium) human becomes 6-inches tall: as per the Creature Sizes table (DMG p.29) that would put him as Fine - a reduction of 4 categories. I would imposed +8 Dex, and -8 Str (minimum 1), along with the usual size modifiers to hit and AC.

Again, I don't claim this as RAW, merely my interpretation.

Just as an aside, I once made a thread about this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...3-5-6-inch-Man

30. - Top - End - #720

Q 350

About the smoky confinement spell from Complete Mage:

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Mage

Transmutation
    Level: Sorcerer 6, Wizard 6,
    Components: V, S, AF,
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature touched
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

At your touch, your foe dissipates into a thick smoke, which flows smoothly into the receptacle you have prepared.
    You transform the subject into smoke or gas, which is then stored inside the focus.
    The subject remains trapped within the focus, unaware and ageless.
    If the focus is ever broken or opened, the victim resumes his normal form in the same space as the focus.
    Focus: A tiny receptacle, such as a bottle or vase, of crystal or a similar material worth at least 100 gp.
    The receptacle must be able to be sealed.
    Please note the spell's duration is "instantaneous", so it cannot be dispelled.

A) What happesn if a vial containing a creature thanks to smoky confinement is brought into an antimagic area?

B) What happens if said vial is opened or broken inside an antimagic area?

C) That might not be doable depending on the answers to the above, but if a vial containing a dangerous creature is stoppered while inside the antimagic field of a wizard, slipped into his possessions (by a rogue using sleight of hand, for example), what happens when the antimagic field spell expires?
    Spoiler
    Show