New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 722232425262728293031323334353637383940414257 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Q 445
    Was the summon nature's ally list ever expanded like summon monster was and, if so, is there a list with the names of the monsters?
    A445: Yes, in several books. A complete list can be found in the Druid Handbook here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...Druid-Handbook

2. - Top - End - #932
    Troll in the Playground

Q 446

Is there an audio equivalent to True Seeing?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 447:

Does Identify reveal the contents of Secret Page, or just the fact that Secret Page has been used?

4. - Top - End - #934
    Troll in the Playground

A 447

Identify only functions when cast on magic items. An item with a spell cast on it is not a magic item.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Q 446

Is there an audio equivalent to True Seeing?
    A 446

No, I've looked before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    typo report : panel 5, "pleather" I presume the p shouldn't be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You live an aesthetically blessed life.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 448

Epic feat - Spell Stowaway

If i pick time stop with my caster, and an enemy within 300 feet and line of effect casts it, what happens?

1- he and I act according to initiative inside his time stop and can affect eachother

2- he gets a time stop where i am frozen and then i get a separate time stop where he is frozen. Can’t affect eachother.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 449

A human warrior is CR ½. Werewolf template is CR +2. However, werewolf warrior is CR 3. How come ½+2=3? How does that work? Can you show me a simple mathematical formula that results in a human warrior werewolf being CR3?

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

A 449 (partial)

Stat blocks are notoriously unreliable and fraught with errors.

Once you get to CR 1 or higher, there are no partial CRs. I would assume the person making the stats block has rounded the CR 2.5 up to 3.

I'm not sure if there is a general rule about rounding for CRs?

9. - Top - End - #939
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 443
    Can you make a trip attack on an opponent you are currently grappling with?
    A 443
    Attack an Opponent is an action you can perform while grappling, and nothing says you cannot use this attack to perform special actions performed 'As a melee attack', such as disarm or trip. Note the -4 penalty to attacks, and all the restrictions for attacking in a grapple and the special attack you perform must be met.

Q 444
    Is a grapple check an ability check? It is modified by Strength, but is otherwise not called a Strength check (instead, the SRD calls it similar to an attack roll), so do modifiers to ability checks/Strength checks (as opposed to modifiers to Strength itself) affect a grapple check?
    A 444
    Sadly, no. A Grapple check is modified by your strength, but it is no more a strength check than any other attack roll.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nezkrul View Post
    Q 448

Epic feat - Spell Stowaway

If i pick time stop with my caster, and an enemy within 300 feet and line of effect casts it, what happens?

1- he and I act according to initiative inside his time stop and can affect eachother

2- he gets a time stop where i am frozen and then i get a separate time stop where he is frozen. Can’t affect eachother.
    Time stop normally targets only the caster. Spell Stowaway expands it to also target you. Therefore, you both act during the same 1d4+1 rounds (in your initiative orders as appropriate). Depending on how your DM interprets "other creatures," you may or may not be able to interact with one another; YMMV.

You should see this same interaction when the spell is shared with a familiar or animal companion, by the way.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 450

A spell such as glyph of warding, when used to store another spell, specifies "If the spell has a target, it targets the intruder."

Does that apply to spells with a range of "Touch"? Is the spell stored considered to automatically make its touch attack on the intruder?

Q 451

The poison spell has an unusual saving throw mechanic; instead of the usual DC of 10+spell level+bonus in the spellcasting ability, the fortitude save against the poison is 10+½ caster level+Wisdom modifier.

A:
    If the spell is cast by another class than the usual (Druid or Cleric), for exemple an Archivist, does the modifier stay wisdom, or does it switch to the main spellcasting ability (probably Intelligence).

B:
    Does a feat like Spell Focus still gives its bonus to this special DC?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-02-29 at 05:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #942
    Halfling in the Playground

A 450

There is no mention of spells stored in a glyph being able to attack (with an attack roll) the intruder, touch or ranged, so those kinds of spells cant be stored. Instead, use the blast glyph.

A 451 Poison can’t be stored in a glyph of warding for two reasons - it requires an attack roll (and is therefore an aimed spell not a target spell), and it is a 4th-level spell, GoW can only store 3rd-level and lower spells.

As to the save DC questions, RAW is wisdom mod is the factor used, regardless of who casts it; and spell focus (necromancy) will increase the DC by 1 as normal.

13. - Top - End - #943

Goblin

Q 450

A spell such as glyph of warding, when used to store another spell, specifies "If the spell has a target, it targets the intruder."

Does that apply to spells with a range of "Touch"? Is the spell stored considered to automatically make its touch attack on the intruder?
    A 450 (Second Opinion)

The text pretty clearly says "any harmful 3rd-level spell you know"; if there were any other restrictions, those should have been specifically called out at that point in the text. But, they weren't.

I think the writers may have assumed that some common sense would apply with regard to which spells can operate with which kind of trigger conditions, and I'd probably rule it as such personally. But, since it's not actually written that way, I think the most RAW-consistent way to interpret it is to say that an area-triggered spell glyph can make a touch attack against any target within its warded area. And I imagine that it would just use whatever the caster's attack modifiers were at the time of casting.

14. - Top - End - #944

Quote Originally Posted by Nezkrul View Post
    A 451 Poison can’t be stored in a glyph of warding for two reasons - it requires an attack roll (and is therefore an aimed spell not a target spell), and it is a 4th-level spell, GoW can only store 3rd-level and lower spells.

As to the save DC questions, RAW is wisdom mod is the factor used, regardless of who casts it; and spell focus (necromancy) will increase the DC by 1 as normal.
    I'd like to point out that my second question never directly implied storing a poison spell in a glyph of warding, and was entirely about the saving throw, so that part of the response is irrelevant.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-03-01 at 03:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 452

The Axebeak is detailed in A&EG p.83: was there any other later (3.5) re-printings, or is that the latest 3E version of the creature?

16. - Top - End - #946

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 452

The Axebeak is detailed in A&EG p.83: was there any other later (3.5) re-printings, or is that the latest 3E version of the creature?
    A 452

I'm pretty sure that's the only first-party printing.

-----

Q 453

From Dragon #311, the variant clerics article includes the Evangelist variant. In the table, it says you get Additional Domains every 5th level, but there's no text write-up for the "Additional Domain" feature. The text is also pretty unclear about which domains he is allowed to select. I assume that his domain choice is still limited by his deity. But, what happens if he already has all the domains his deity offers when he gains another "Additional Domain"? Does he just not get another domain, or is he somehow free to choose any domain he wants?

17. - Top - End - #947
    Troll in the Playground

A 453 Unclear. While almost certainly you get more of your deity's domains, should your god run out of domains you need to talk to your DM. It is possible in base cleric for your god to have insufficient domains (Lastai) and the game is equally silent what to do then. From experience I recommend discussing with your DM an extended domain list or being a cleric of a cause as they get to choose their domains.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2020-03-02 at 12:17 AM.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q454: Kung Fu Genius (Dragon #319) lets a monk use Int modifier instead of Wis modifier for "all monk abilities that normally rely on Wisdom"... Does that include things such as Stunning Fist, which is an option for a bonus feat for monks? Or does it only affect abilities directly given by monk levels, such as the AC boost? The only similar feat I can find is Carmendine Monk (Champions of Valor) which lets a monk use Int instead of Wis for AC bonus and save DC for stunning fist and quivering palm...
    Last edited by OrbanSirgen; 2020-03-02 at 12:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Troll in the Playground

A 454 When the feat was written Stunning Attack (the monk special ability that was the precursor to the feat Stunning Fist) was a wis-based monk special ability, so RAI yes Kung-Fu Genius should convert it. As for the strict raw it is less clear: the special ability is called "Bonus Feat" but that bonus feat grants a Wis-based ability, so I would argue it should, but I can see room for disagreement.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    A 453 Unclear. While almost certainly you get more of your deity's domains, should your god run out of domains you need to talk to your DM. It is possible in base cleric for your god to have insufficient domains (Lastai) and the game is equally silent what to do then. From experience I recommend discussing with your DM an extended domain list or being a cleric of a cause as they get to choose their domains.
    Additionally, the incarnum domain can be taken by any cleric, as can planar domains, so that's an extra three right there, which should almost always be enough to do the trick.

21. - Top - End - #951

Q 455
    Quick query regarding Simulacrum:
    The spells states that it creates a duplicate of a creature but with "one-half of the real creature’s levels or Hit Dice (and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD)."
    Regarding the underlined portion, how does that apply to true dragons who gain their abilities entirely from advanced hit dice?
    Specifically, if I create a Simulacrum of an Ancient Bronze Dragon which normally has 33 Hit Dice, this would get halved to 16. Do I still have a copy of an Ancient Bronze or does it somehow become a Juvenile instead, along with all the statistics a bronze dragon that age would normally have? 16 Hit Dice, 8d6 breath weapon, no Frightful Presence, no spell resistance, 3rd-level spellcaster, and so on?
    Resident Mad Scientist...

"It's so cool!"

Spoiler: Contests
    Show
    VC I: Lord Commander Conrad Vayne, 1st place
    VC II: Lorna, the Mother's Wrath, 5th place
    VC XV: Tosk, Kursak the Marauder, Vierna Zalyl; 1st place, 6th/7th place
    Kitchen Crashers Protocol for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    But that's one of the things about interpreting RAW—when you pick a reading that goes against RAI, it often has a ripple effect that results in dysfunctions in other places.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 456

Are there stats for mercury/quicksilver or some analagous fantasy liquid metal?

I'm asking this in both the 3.5 and PF Q&A because we play "3.PF"

Q 457

Which creatures have a soul?

AFAIK, incorporeal undead basically are souls, and corporeal intelligent undead also have souls made out of negative energy. Is this correct or is this head cannon?

I don't think constructs have souls. What about vermin. Do they have souls?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2020-03-03 at 11:38 AM.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Troll in the Playground

A 458
    Everything that can be raised by various spells such as Raise Dead et al. has a soul. Elementals and Outsiders have souls that do not exist independent of their bodies, but they do have souls. Contructs and do not have souls, except *possibly* warforged and any construct affected by the soulfused construct template. Undead are weird, as some have souls associated with them, some are the trapped souls of the dead, and some are just automata. You need to look at individual undead descriptions for more details.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2020-03-03 at 12:00 PM.

24. - Top - End - #954

Q 458

Is there any way to have weapon properties of a wielded weapon such as flaming or ghost touch or anything else be applied to a druid while he is shapeshifted as per variant detailed in pages 39-40 of the PHBII

25. - Top - End - #955
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    Q 458

Is there any way to have weapon properties of a wielded weapon such as flaming or ghost touch or anything else be applied to a druid while he is shapeshifted as per variant detailed in pages 39-40 of the PHBII
    A 458 partial
    This is NOT exactly what you've asked, but COULD potentially solve your problem: the necklace of natural weapons (Savage species) may "enchant" your natural attacks as if they were manufactured.
    Last edited by Kaleph; 2020-03-03 at 12:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 459

I recall a type of armor detailed in an official book, which was basically armor put together by giants from bits-and-pieces of different medium armor. Does anyone know what I'm thinking of?

27. - Top - End - #957
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

A459: Giant Patchwork Armor from one of the Eberron books
    EDIT: Secrets of Xen'drik
    Last edited by OrbanSirgen; 2020-03-03 at 06:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Quote Originally Posted by OrbanSirgen View Post
    A459: Giant Patchwork Armor from one of the Eberron books
    That's it! Secrets of Xen'Drik p.136. Thank you very much.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q460

Been staring at roll20 macros all day and got myself tied in knots. If you have a >= +6 BAB, can you use a full, iterative attack with a ranged weapon (assuming you can reload it as a free)?

Q461

The manyshot attacks are as a standard action. Can you full attack, and as part of that, perform your Manyshot, then complete your remaining iteratives (e.g. Attack 1 = Manyshot with 4 arrows, each at -8, then Attack 2 at -5, attack 3 at -10 and attack 4 at -15)? I think not, but I thought I would check.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Albions_Angel View Post
    Q460

Been staring at roll20 macros all day and got myself tied in knots. If you have a >= +6 BAB, can you use a full, iterative attack with a ranged weapon (assuming you can reload it as a free)?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Albions_Angel View Post
    Q461

The manyshot attacks are as a standard action. Can you full attack, and as part of that, perform your Manyshot, then complete your remaining iteratives (e.g. Attack 1 = Manyshot with 4 arrows, each at -8, then Attack 2 at -5, attack 3 at -10 and attack 4 at -15)? I think not, but I thought I would check.
    No.