New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1828
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 510

The spell kelpstrand allows multiple attacks (and multiple improved-grab-like grapple attempts) against several opponents in close range.
    Apparently, I can only target one opponent with one strand of kelp once.

Nevertheless a sentence at the end of the spell's description mentions that it's also possible to target a single enemy multiple times, forcing him to multiple grapple checks. Is it possible with a single casting of kelpstrand, or do I need to cast the spell, say, twice, in order to hit a single target with two strands?
    Last edited by Kaleph; 2020-04-17 at 11:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 510 You need multiple castings.

The "Targets" entry for the spell is quite clear that it affects one or more tagerts once each on each casting. The third paragraph merely clarifies what happens if a creature gets grappled by multiple castings.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q511: is there any source that can make an item more dispel-resistant? as in, resistant to attempts to suppress it with dispel magic. Something like "attempts to dispel this item suffer a -5 penalty"
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

4. - Top - End - #1054

Q512

can minor creation create a bag of flasks filled with water? so instead of creating 1 flask of water per casting of minor creation, can i create as many flasks of water within the volume limit of the spell?

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q513

If you grapple or pin a flying creature, can the creature no longer remain aloft and begin falling?

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Afghanistan View Post
    Q513

If you grapple or pin a flying creature, can the creature no longer remain aloft and begin falling?
    A513

That depends on the size of the flying creature.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    A513

That depends on the size of the flying creature.
    Care to elaborate? Lets presume a flying creature of every size category is being grappled by a creature of a similar size category (if that matters) at the same time. What creatures would be pinned and which ones wouldn't?

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Care to elaborate? Lets presume a flying creature of every size category is being grappled by a creature of a similar size category (if that matters) at the same time. What creatures would be pinned and which ones wouldn't?
    It depends on both the grappler and the creature. Let say if the creature is a half-fiend human wizard and the grappler is a regular human monk. The monk managed to grappled the half-fiend human wizard and the half-fiend fell to the ground. Now let just say if this was a Great Wyrm Red Dragon and the human monk managed to grappled the dragon, then the dragon wouldn't fell the ground. Do you understand it now?

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

It depends on both the grappler and the creature. Let say if the creature is a half-fiend human wizard and the grappler is a regular human monk. The monk managed to grappled the half-fiend human wizard and the half-fiend fell to the ground. Now let just say if this was a Great Wyrm Red Dragon and the human monk managed to grappled the dragon, then the dragon wouldn't fell the ground. Do you understand it now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Page 156, Player's Handbook
    [...]If you lose, you fail to start the grapple. You automatically lose an attempt to hold if the target is two or more size categories larger than you are.
    Simply put, the Dragon wouldn't be grappled because it is more than 2 size categories larger than the Human Monk. This outcome is shared not just with the Great Wyrm (Colossal), but with every other type of Red Dragon above the age of Mature Adult (Huge). However, a Spellcaster casting Evard's Black Tentacles, would be capable of Grappling, and not just pinning, every Red Dragon below Wyrm (Gargantuan).

All of that aside, lets presume that the spellcaster has successfully done the above to a creature, it is now pinned and flying, what happens to the flying creature? Does it fall, or does it maintain flight?
    Last edited by Afghanistan; 2020-04-20 at 07:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Simply put, the Dragon wouldn't be grappled because it is more than 2 size categories larger than the Human Monk. This outcome is shared not just with the Great Wyrm (Colossal), but with every other type of Red Dragon above the age of Mature Adult (Huge). However, a Spellcaster casting Evard's Black Tentacles, would be capable of Grappling, and not just pinning, every Red Dragon below Wyrm (Gargantuan).

All of that aside, lets presume that the spellcaster has successfully done the above to a creature, it is now pinned and flying, what happens to the flying creature? Does it fall, or does it maintain flight?
    I'm guessing the creature will fall.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm guessing the creature will fall.
    Do you have a source for this? I've consulted the rules compendium, the PhB, the SRD, and I cannot find an answer.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Do you have a source for this? I've consulted the rules compendium, the PhB, the SRD, and I cannot find an answer.
    Well I don't think there no answer for that. Maybe tg DM can rule that.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 513 Unfortunately it depends on the mode of flight. A creature that requires wings to fly cannot fly when pinned, but for grappled creatures it is more complex:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    No Movement: You can’t move normally while grappling. You may, however, make an opposed grapple check (see below) to move while grappling.
    Move: You can move half your speed (bringing all others engaged in the grapple with you) by winning an opposed grapple check. This requires a standard action, and you must beat all the other individual check results to move the grapple.

Note: You get a +4 bonus on your grapple check to move a pinned opponent, but only if no one else is involved in the grapple.
    So, creatures that have a maneuverability low enough to have to move each round they won't immediately fall until they fail to move far enough, but if they fail to meet their requirements for flight they will fall.

So basically it comes down to DM's call about what is providing the flight. If the DM thinks it is an innate ability to remain aloft (e.g. a beholder or a gem dragon) then there's a good argument that the grapplers remain stationary in mid air, but also check the carrying capacity of the flyer - if it cannot lift the others in the grapple, then they all fall.

Pinned is the same, but with the guarantee that the flying creature cannot attempt to move with whatever effect that implies.

Futher complications: if the flight is a purely mental action, then what? The closest parallel in the rules is casting a spell / using a SLA while grappled = concentration check DC 25 + spell level (no somatic components, only material componenets already in hand).
    References to "purely mental actions" probably mainly date back to earlier editions, but they do apply to paralyzed creatures (which can still take them) so should they apply to pinned creatures? RAW the answer is "no, or not without a concentration check"...

In general it's an ill-defined mess, but those are the rules that I am aware of that apply.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A 513 Unfortunately it depends on the mode of flight. A creature that requires wings to fly cannot fly when pinned, but for grappled creatures it is more complex:

So, creatures that have a maneuverability low enough to have to move each round they won't immediately fall until they fail to move far enough, but if they fail to meet their requirements for flight they will fall.

So basically it comes down to DM's call about what is providing the flight. If the DM thinks it is an innate ability to remain aloft (e.g. a beholder or a gem dragon) then there's a good argument that the grapplers remain stationary in mid air, but also check the carrying capacity of the flyer - if it cannot lift the others in the grapple, then they all fall.

Pinned is the same, but with the guarantee that the flying creature cannot attempt to move with whatever effect that implies.

Futher complications: if the flight is a purely mental action, then what? The closest parallel in the rules is casting a spell / using a SLA while grappled = concentration check DC 25 + spell level (no somatic components, only material componenets already in hand).
    References to "purely mental actions" probably mainly date back to earlier editions, but they do apply to paralyzed creatures (which can still take them) so should they apply to pinned creatures? RAW the answer is "no, or not without a concentration check"...

In general it's an ill-defined mess, but those are the rules that I am aware of that apply.
    Okay, so it depends on the mode of flight (natural flight vs magical.) Alright, this makes sense. Thank you.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 514 Is the request attitude of hypnotism set to when the request is made, or is it dynamic? For example: Indifferent person is hypnotized. Request level Helpful. They then realize they were mentally manipulated and become Unfriendly. Is the request attitude still set as Helpful or down to Friendly?
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2020-04-23 at 03:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 515
    About "Polymorph any object" spell: the table for the duration states that you have a +2 if you are the same size the new form is. If a caster was to cast "enlarge person" to make someone be the same size as the new creature, will it get the +2 on the duration table?
    More: the spell states the caster gains the new form intelligence. Are bonuses provided by levels ( the +1 every 4 levels) and bonuses coming from "Wish" spells or tomes considered part of my form (and so lost with the new form) or I keep them after gaining the new form?
    Last edited by Mrark; 2020-04-24 at 02:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 516

Save an alignment shift, is there anything that can be done to allow a good cleric (of a neutral deity) to spontaneously cast Inflict spells and/or cast spells with the [Evil] descriptor?

I have considered Spontaneous Domain Casting ACF from PHB2 + Destruction Domain, but it doesn't really fit the bill in this case.

Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q517
    Does "Polymorph any object" have a hit dice limit for the new form?

19. - Top - End - #1069

Quote Originally Posted by Mrark View Post
    Q517
    Does "Polymorph any object" have a hit dice limit for the new form?
    Yes.
    1. The spell says it's like polymorph except noted here. And doesn't note a hd limit so the limit from polymorph applies.
    2. Considering how even shapechange has a hd limit, there's no chance WotC didn't release PaO without a hd cap.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q518
    If a character wields a composite longbow that they do not meet the STR prerequisite for, how much damage is added to their shots? Say, a 12 STR archer wielding a +4 Composite longbow. The fighter would take a -2 to attacks using the bow, but would he deal +4 damage on each shot or +0? (Presuming no other factors increasing bow damage are in play).

Q519
    May not be a RAW question*, but the SRD says
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Longbow
    A longbow is too unwieldy to use while you are mounted.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Composite Longbow
    You can use a composite longbow while mounted.
    Is this a typo, or is the mounted usage of a longbow restriction lifted once it becomes composite?

*The RAW here is quite clear, but I want to be sure I'm reading it the right way.
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2020-04-25 at 03:03 PM.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Q519
    May not be a RAW question*, but the SRD says

Is this a typo, or is the mounted usage of a longbow restriction lifted once it becomes composite?

*The RAW here is quite clear, but I want to be sure I'm reading it the right way.
    A519

The original 3.0e rule was that you had to be Medium size or larger to use a composite longbow while mounted (longbows were considered Large-size weapons). Oriental Adventures has a little footnote (Table 5-6, p. 70) that explains why a composite longbow can be shot while mounted (the grip is lowered, so you don't need as much clearance below).

I think it's safe to conclude that this wasn't a typo, but is both RAW and RAI.

-----

((I do not know the answer to your first question, so I didn't try to address it at all.))
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2020-04-25 at 04:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1072

Q520

if you channel a spell or ability while shapechanged, and the shapechange runs out midcasting, is the spell or ability lost and fails?

shapechange into a monster, activate monster su ability that takes 1 hour to channel, shapechange runs out, is the su ability fail or can i keep channeling it as my regular form.
    shapechange into a monster, cast a spell with 24 hour casting time, shapechange runs out, is the spell lost or can i keep channeling it as my regular form?

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ogre in the Playground

A518

A composite longbow lets you apply a bonus to damage rolls equal to your strength modifier or the bow's rating, whichever is less. A character with 12 STR wielding a composite longbow (+4) would deal +1 damage with his shots.

24. - Top - End - #1074

Q521

if i use metamorphosis to transform into a phasm, and then metamorphic transfer to use his alternate form ability to transform into something else, and my metamorphosis duration runs out, do i revert back to my original form, or do the spell stacking rules let me stay in my alternate form indefinitely?

25. - Top - End - #1075

Devil

Q 522

It's fluff RAW, not a crunch RAW question, but I don't think it's worthy of a separate thread.
    I remember reading that hybrids between races which do not have half-x template for them are possible but usually so close to one of the parent's races as to be considered the same race with regard to the rules (e.g. dwarf-gnome would use either dwarf or gnome racial traits, depending). Is it in 3e or have I misremembered some other RPG?

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q523
    For the purposes of the invisibility spell, if I cast a spell that continues for a while (let's use Symbol of Death) does my invisibility end when it is triggered? (assuming, of course, I am still using invisibility when it gets triggered)

Part B
    Does the answer change if using the Wall of Light spell (SPC pg 234) and someone walks through 2 minutes after I cast it?

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

smile Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q524
    About "Polymorph any object" spell:
    PART A

the table for the duration states that you have a +2 if you are the same size the new form is. If a caster was to cast "enlarge person" to make someone be the same size as the new creature, will it get the +2 on the duration table?

PART B

The spell states the caster gains the new form intelligence. Are bonuses provided by levels ( the +1 every 4 levels) and bonuses coming from "Wish" spells or tomes considered part of my form (and so lost with the new form) or I keep them after gaining the new form?

PART C
    The table states that if the new creature is of the Same kingdom (animal, vegetable, mineral), you get a +5 bonus for the purpose of determining the duration time. My question is: are those 3 the only kingdoms? Do an angel, a devil, a magic creature belong to the animal kingdom, or are they something different?

Thanks for you time

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mrark View Post
    Q524
    About "Polymorph any object" spell:
    PART A

the table for the duration states that you have a +2 if you are the same size the new form is. If a caster was to cast "enlarge person" to make someone be the same size as the new creature, will it get the +2 on the duration table?

PART B

The spell states the caster gains the new form intelligence. Are bonuses provided by levels ( the +1 every 4 levels) and bonuses coming from "Wish" spells or tomes considered part of my form (and so lost with the new form) or I keep them after gaining the new form?

PART C
    The table states that if the new creature is of the Same kingdom (animal, vegetable, mineral), you get a +5 bonus for the purpose of determining the duration time. My question is: are those 3 the only kingdoms? Do an angel, a devil, a magic creature belong to the animal kingdom, or are they something different?

Thanks for you time
    You already asked that as Q 518.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

29. - Top - End - #1079

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiVeil View Post
    Q523
    For the purposes of the invisibility spell, if I cast a spell that continues for a while (let's use Symbol of Death) does my invisibility end when it is triggered? (assuming, of course, I am still using invisibility when it gets triggered)

Part B
    Does the answer change if using the Wall of Light spell (SPC pg 234) and someone walks through 2 minutes after I cast it?
    The invisibility spell description on page 245 of the Player's Handbook notes that "Causing harm indirectly is not an attack. Thus, an invisible being can open doors, talk, eat, climb stairs, summon monsters and have them attack, cut the ropes holding a rope bridge while enemies are on the bridge, remotely trigger traps, open a portcullis to release attack dogs, and so forth."

Any "Effect" or "Area" spell that doesn't directly target an enemy or include them in its area as you cast it should be fine; once it exists in the world, it's everyone's decision on how to interact with it, not just yours. (This is a terrible philosophical approach but it's how the game works.)
    Last edited by Powerdork; 2020-04-26 at 03:43 PM.
    The future is bright.

30. - Top - End - #1080

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q525

Dispel Psionics (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/p...elPsionics.htm).
    Your dispel check is 1d20 + your manifester level, maximum +10.
    Augment says "the bonus on your dispel check increases by 2".

As written, it seems to me that you get 1d20+20 at manifester level 10, by expending 10 pp (5 + 5 augments), with the augment bonus not being tied to your manifester level.
    To be on par with (Greater) Dispel Magic, Augment should read "the maximum bonus on your dispel check increases by 2, up to your manifester level".

Which is the correct ruling? Is d20srd version updated or does an errata exist?