New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

A50: 60 + 10d6*0.5 fire + 10d6 other energy
    The logic on empower and maximize not interacting but both applying to the base spell is applied to admixture as well.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Re-posts(s) for a new page:

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 028

If I am a 9th level Monk with the Invisible Fist ACF, are the "cooldown" times of invisibility and blink tracked separately?
    Q 038

Can a Tibbit in cat form verbally communicate with a Catfolk using the Feline language?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q51
    Can Wish create dirt or water or vegetation of some large volume bases on property values of land?

Am imagining it being used in the vacume of space of a largely empty outer plane.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 52

Is there a rule for what happens to CR when you give a monster WBL as a PC or NPC? (and if so, what is it)
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

A 50 Contention

The Empower/Maximize interaction is a specific part of the Maximize Spell feat (oddly enough, it's not also part of Empower). Energy Admixture specifically states that it adds extra dice of damage where appropriate, which would be a variable numeric effect. It would be 60+10d6*0.5 each of fire and the other energy type (rolled separately).

If there's more disagreement, OgresAreCute may want to make a separate thread for this.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

6. - Top - End - #96

Q53
    Can a magic item have both a spell and a psionic power in it? Say an at will use item of Ego Whip and Fireball?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

A 53 Yes.
    ten characters
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q54: are there ways to destroy a wall of force in antimagic field without collapsing the antimagic field in the first place?
    I'm thinking of a setup with a powerful creature trapped in a forcecage with a character emanating an antimagic field standing outside protecting the cage (the cage is the version with holes, so it won't block line of effect), and was wondering if it was possible to free the creature other than having to kill the caster first
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 51

Does holy water work inside an Anti-Magic Field?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #100

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 51

Does holy water work inside an Anti-Magic Field?
    A 51

Yes.

Here are some reasons why.

Holy water appears on Table 3-8: Mundane Items on page 56 of the DM's Guide. In the same rulebook, holy water is not listed as a magic item.

Holy water can be created by the Bless Water spell, which has an instantaneous duration.

The description of the Antimagic Field spell has this to say.

The effects of instantaneous conjurations, such as create water, are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result.

I believe this rule also applies to instantaneous transmutations, such as the Bless Water spell.

The description of the Antimagic Field spell also states:

Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this.

Even if you assume that there must be something magical about holy water, this magic may well be deific magic that is unaffected by the Antimagic Field spell. (There is also no indication in any rulebook that holy water bears any detectable magic aura, so that even if holy water theoretically contains ongoing magic of some kind, it can only be supernatural magic.) Another spell that mortals may cast but that may also "open the door" to deific magic is the Hallow spell, whose duration is instantaneous but whose effect, a holy site that lasts for a whole year, is not.

I believe these assumptions also apply to unholy water.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2019-06-14 at 11:14 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Q 55

Shrink item can explicitly work on a burning fire and its fuel, turning them into a “clothlike” item. Is it correct to say that because nothing in the spell says otherwise, the fire is still burning, implying both that it is still hot and that the fuel is still being consumed? If not, why not?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Q 55

Shrink item can explicitly work on a burning fire and its fuel, turning them into a “clothlike” item. Is it correct to say that because nothing in the spell says otherwise, the fire is still burning, implying both that it is still hot and that the fuel is still being consumed? If not, why not?
    A55: yes, the implication is that the fire is still burning, and the object is still hot and still being consumed. It is not, however, explicitly mentioned if also the heat produced in the fire is reduced as appropriate to its new size or not.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    A55: yes, the implication is that the fire is still burning, and the object is still hot and still being consumed. It is not, however, explicitly mentioned if also the heat produced in the fire is reduced as appropriate to its new size or not.
    So would a shrink Item-ed mug of water spill? A shrink Item-ed chain still clink and rattle?

Q56
    A shrink Item-ed corpse be animated by animate dead or resurrected in its shrunken form?
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2019-06-16 at 02:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104

Q57

I'm reading MotP page 204-205 going over the Mirror Plane material and I thought I remembered reading that mirror duplicates shattered into disintegrating shards of glass when slain but I am not finding that anywhere...
    Did I make it up? Did I read it somewhere else?

Can we make mirror duplicates of undead, that are now outsiders, then raise their corpses as the SAME undead?
    edit: nope mirror duplicates dont leave corpses.

Q58
    Planar Shepard and mirror plane where does the duplicate appear when the barbarian moves up to swing?

(The above assumes that unupdated 3.0 material gets ported to 3.5)
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2019-06-17 at 12:22 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

A56 Yes and yes. The creature would remain small until the duration of the initial shrink item wore off.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    So would a shrink Item-ed mug of water spill? A shrink Item-ed chain still clink and rattle?
    yes and yes. However, there is no specification if a big chain that got shrunk will clink and rattle as much as a big chain, or if it will clink and rattle as much as a small chain. there is some argument that it would still clink as the big chain because shrink does not give bonus to move silently; then again, size does not give a bonus to move silently, so by RAW an ant walking should be as noisy as a human. I would not apply strict RAW to that.

As for the mug of water, the water spilled would remain shrunk until the duration expires, then revert to normal size. There is the chance that the mug is now so small that no water is spilled because of surface tension, if you like to use some science. but that's out of RAW.
    But this is going offtopic. This thread is for RAW questions, only for discussing exact interpretation of the rules. the implications of physical principles where the rules do not specify anything are not to be discussed here.

Anyway, shrink item only shrinks items. It does not put them in any sort of stasis, as your questions would imply.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 059

Can a creature with the Augmented Critical (say, a Greenspawn Razorfiend) ability further increase the threat range of it's natural weapon with the Improved Critical feat, or do they not stack?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

A 59 No. Improved critical is inclusive with its language, so no effect will work.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Q 060
    Can polymorph any object be chained to gain a permanent transformation that would be impossible in one step? For example, turning a horse into a similar-size but more intelligent mammal (same kingdom, class and size), then turning that creature into a wyvern(same kingdom, intelligence and size) and then turning the wyvern into a true dragon (same kingdom, class and size)?
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A060: Probably Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    Can polymorph any object be chained to gain a permanent transformation that would be impossible in one step? For example, turning a horse into a similar-size but more intelligent mammal (same kingdom, class and size), then turning that creature into a wyvern(same kingdom, intelligence and size) and then turning the wyvern into a true dragon (same kingdom, class and size)?
    This is actually the basis of quite a few "High Op" suggestions seen on this board, (though they usally skip the chain and use one temporary Polymorph to get near to the desired form then a permanent one to go to it - something that riases the question fo "what happens when the temporary spell runs out?")

Doing it with a chain means all the spells are permanent, so it should work, but they will be subject to dispelling.

The more I look at this, the more I am convinced that the answer is "yes" (subjetc to dispel/disjoin) but be aware that DMs may disagree about what objects/creatures are in the same "kingdom" etc. - the spell's use of real-world taxonomy doesn't fit with the rest of D&D at all.

EDIT: Some DMs may rule that Polymorph Any Object checks the target's actual form not its current one - it's not how I would read the rules (unless they were being abused) but I don't think the rules contradict it either.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2019-06-19 at 06:39 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111

BardGuy

Q 060
    A 60

Ask your dungeon master.

There is an answer given in the D&D v. 3.5 Frequently Asked Questions (31st of July 2007) that indicates that yes, you CAN "chain" multiple castings of the Polymorph Any Object spell in the way that you describe. The answer appears on page 87.

A spell only checks to see if you are a legal target when it is cast. If you become an illegal target later (such as via the polymorph spell), the spell remains in effect.
    However, the answers given in the FAQs are generally considered not to have the full authority of the RAW. Moreover, some of the criteria that determine the duration of the Polymorph Any Object spell (above all the "Same class" criterion and the "Related" criterion) are subject to the dungeon master's judgement. So my advice is: Ask your dungeon master.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Q 060
    A60 Unequivocally yes. In your example, the simplest way of doing so with the fewest steps is pao the horse into a true dragon, then pao that true dragon into a true dragon, which would make it permanent.

Iron Chef Medals!

23. - Top - End - #113

BarbarianGuy

Repost to new page:
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    Q 45:

When an afflicted lycanthrope is forced to make an involuntary change (due to the moon, or damaged down to 75% health), is it always to animal form, not hybrid form?

Is the answer different for a Good PC who doesn't want to change (wants to avoid alignment change, etc), and possibly different for one that has embraced his affliction (CE Werewolf might be able to become a hybrid instead via a Control Shape check?)
    Q61:

In a situation where a bad guy is hiding very well in a home, that the PC's can't see him (has high Hide ranks, is hidden in an alcove), but they know that something is there because the paladin cast Detect Evil, and can thus note the aura, but none of the PC's want to clear the edge of the alcove to get a clear line of sight on the hidden creature, how is initiative and flat-footedness resolved if the hidden bad guy initiates combat by throwing a knife at one of the party members, but then proceeds to roll last in initiative?

Is the bad guy flat-footed for nearly all of the first round (until his turn, last in the round), even though he was the first to initiate combat? Is his attack technically the only action in the Surprise round? Or is there no Surprise round because "everyone was aware" that something was there (even though for most of the party it was only because the paladin told them there was an aura he could see through a wall)?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

A61 If the party knew the enemy was somewhere in the house, they are aware of him, qed no surprise round. If they roll init and he comes last, he cannot throw the knife until the end of the round, and remains flat footed while the party takes actions, sets up a perimeter, burns his house down, and has the others ready actions to attack him when he flees.

You only get a surprise round when you're aware of the enemy and they're not aware of you. That's not the case here.

Iron Chef Medals!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A61 correction

Just having a detect evil spell give a positive result isn't enough to be aware of an enemy. Aura strength alone won't tell you if you're detecting an evil creature (or what kind of creature) or a spell or a magic item.

Being on guard doesn't give you any special advantage on initiative or for avoiding surprise. In fact, PCs generally find themselves in dangerous environments and are frequently on guard for things jumping out at them. This does not circumvent the rules for initiative.

The answer is that the hiding enemy DOES get a surprise round if he attacks before he is spotted. The entire party of PCs is caught by surprise, even the Paladin. The attacker is not flat-footed in the first round of combat even if his initiative result is poor because he's already acted once.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2019-06-19 at 10:17 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    A61 correction

Just having a detect evil spell give a positive result isn't enough to be aware of an enemy. Aura strength alone won't tell you if you're detecting an evil creature (or what kind of creature) or a spell or a magic item.

Being on guard doesn't give you any special advantage on initiative or for avoiding surprise. In fact, PCs generally find themselves in dangerous environments and are frequently on guard for things jumping out at them. This does not circumvent the rules for initiative.

The answer is that the hiding enemy DOES get a surprise round if he attacks before he is spotted. The entire party of PCs is caught by surprise, even the Paladin. The attacker is not flat-footed in the first round of combat even if his initiative result is poor because he's already acted once.
    I had understood the party was following him then he ducked into the house, so they know he's there. If that's not the case, then yes, your analysis is correct.

Iron Chef Medals!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q62 Improved Familiar — can you choose an elemental as your familiar even if you don't have a corresponding subtype yourself? For example, could a human wizard choose a small water elemental as their improved familiar?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2019-06-19 at 10:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 62

Yes, with DM's permission.

Both of the lists (Improved Familiar by Alignment and Improved Familiar by Master's Type/Subtype) are noted as being possible examples of the types of creatures and ways of assigning them. Elementals would be suitable familiars for a Neutral-aligned spellcaster.

If you want a completely RAW way of doing it, you can instead take the Planar Familiar feat (Planar Handbook p.41), which requires 5 ranks in Knowledge (the planes) but is otherwise the same as Improved Familiar, except that the familiar isn't allowed to use the master's skill ranks.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2019-06-20 at 08:36 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

29. - Top - End - #119

Q63a
    If one creates a Simulacrum of a Dvati does it generate one body or two?

Q63b
    As above but for Mirror Duplicates created by the Plane of Mirrors as detailed in the Manual of the Planes?

Q63c
    If one uses Gate to call a Dvati do both bodies come through or just one?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

A63a,b,c A dvati is one person who has 2 bodies. Each of these creates another dvati, which is to say 2 bodies.
    Last edited by Venger; 2019-06-20 at 04:03 PM.

Iron Chef Medals!