New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 61 FirstFirst ... 15303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1828
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 570

Is there a feat or a feat chain to grant a climb speed to a member of an arbitrary race? If yes, what is it?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

A 570

Cliffwalk (ECS): Gives a climb speed to a Shifter while they are shifting (so not an arbitrary race).
    Climb like an Ape (CAd): expend Wild Shape uses to get a temporary climb speed.

...that's the closest I can find.

See below.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Q 570

Is there a feat or a feat chain to grant a climb speed to a member of an arbitrary race? If yes, what is it?
    Shape Soulmeld (Phase Cloak) is pretty close for a single feat. For multiple feats, Martial Study (any Shadow Hand) + Martial Stance (dance of the spider) gives a climb speed of 20 feet.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2020-05-31 at 05:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 571

a.) Question about the Spear Spikard/War Spikard (Magic of Eberron): say I have a War Spikard made of Cold Iron, and the crossbow bolt loaded in it is Alchemical Silver. If I hit an enemy, does the the hit could as cold iron, silver, or both for overcoming DR?

b.)What if the base weapon is Holy, and the ammo has the Outsider bane quality: do both effects apply if I hit an eligible target?

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 571

a.) Question about the Spear Spikard/War Spikard (Magic of Eberron): say I have a War Spikard made of Cold Iron, and the crossbow bolt loaded in it is Alchemical Silver. If I hit an enemy, does the the hit could as cold iron, silver, or both for overcoming DR?

b.)What if the base weapon is Holy, and the ammo has the Outsider bane quality: do both effects apply if I hit an eligible target?
    A 571a

A ranged weapon such as a crossbow does not transmit it's material properties to its ammunition, regardless of whether or not it's built into another weapon. These weapons would strike as cold iron in melee, but as whatever bolt is loaded into them when firing a bolt. Generally speaking, there's no way (because there's no need) to be of more than one material at a time.

A 571b

Yes, magical weapon abilities of both a projectile weapon and its magical ammunition combine when being fired. That's why a +3 arrow fired from a +1 flaming bow will strike its target as a +3 flaming arrow. The enhancement bonuses themselves do not stack, but any other special abilities will do so if possible.

In this specific case, the bolt would have both the Holy and Bane (Outsiders) abilities.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 572

Can you put on multiple anklets of translocation and benefit from the others when one runs out, to save you the action of putting a new one on?

[I don't expect so but where's the rules text governing this?]
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Q 572

Can you put on multiple anklets of translocation and benefit from the others when one runs out, to save you the action of putting a new one on?

[I don't expect so but where's the rules text governing this?]
    No, if you have multiple magic items in the same slot, only the first one functions. What you want to do is wear them all at once and then doff them as they're used up, automatically turning on the next one in line.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    No, if you have multiple magic items in the same slot, only the first one functions. What you want to do is wear them all at once and then doff them as they're used up, automatically turning on the next one in line.
    Would this fall under the Manipulate Item action or is there a different rule that describes it better?
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    What if the base weapon is Holy, and the ammo has the Outsider bane quality?
    N.B. if you're not houseruling it, the list of designated foes in the bane weapon special ability includes 8 different types of outsider (one for each alignment component, then one for each element). I suspect a holy bane weapon has evil outsiders as a designated foe.
    The future is bright.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Powerdork View Post
    N.B. if you're not houseruling it, the list of designated foes in the bane weapon special ability includes 8 different types of outsider (one for each alignment component, then one for each element). I suspect a holy bane weapon has evil outsiders as a designated foe.
    While a logical thing to do, there is also no rule mandating this. (No, nothing you said implied there was; I just wanted to make sure it was clear.)
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Powerdork View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    While a logical thing to do, there is also no rule mandating this. (No, nothing you said implied there was; I just wanted to make sure it was clear.)
    Understood: Outsider Bane was just shorthand for the point i was trying to make.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Would this fall under the Manipulate Item action or is there a different rule that describes it better?
    A 572 Additional

Yes, that is the relevant rule. As you can see, removing one item is a move action, and equipping another item would be another move action, so if you can cut out the second step, you save an action.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Q 573

The desiccator from Libris Mortis has an inescapable craving. Here's the quote:

"Inescapable Craving: A desiccator has an inescapable craving for water, which it absorbs by using its fatiguing touch ability."

Does this mean its fatiguing touch the only way to satisfy its craving? Or can it just drink/absorb water from a waterskin or something?

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q574:

My druid is wearing Wild Armour. When in Wild Shape:

a) Can he also benefit from a monk's belt?
    b) Will adding the 'Ghost Touch'/'Ghost Ward' property to the armour do anything?

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJohn View Post
    Q574:

My druid is wearing Wild Armour. When in Wild Shape:

a) Can he also benefit from a monk's belt?
    b) Will adding the 'Ghost Touch'/'Ghost Ward' property to the armour do anything?
    a) Wild armor functions in wild shape, but this does not extend to other items you are wearing.
    b) Not while in wild shape. Only the armor bonus is retained (unless otherwise stated).

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ogre in the Playground

Q575

Question regarding Screen spell: A caster casts Screen and dictates that she cannot be observed within the area. Someone enters the area and gets attacked by the caster. If the attacked person fails his Will save to disbelieve the glamer, does that mean that the caster can continue attacking the person without being observed by the attacked person in any way?

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 575

They won't be able to see the caster until they pass the saving throw, but at the very least they should get a new save each time they're attacked.

Possibly with some kind of circumstance bonus since being stabbed is a lot stronger of a stimulus than stubbing your toe on an invisible box or something (DM's prerogative).
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q574 Clarification

Assuming my druid is wearing Wild armour, and a Monk's Belt with a Wilding Clasp.

When in Wild Shape, do I get the benefits of the Monk's Belt, or does my armour interfere?

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJohn View Post
    Q574 Clarification

Assuming my druid is wearing Wild armour, and a Monk's Belt with a Wilding Clasp.

When in Wild Shape, do I get the benefits of the Monk's Belt, or does my armour interfere?
    A 547: No, your amor interferes.

A monk's belt states that it functions as the monk class' AC bonus ability.
    The Monk AC Bonus ability states "When unarmored and unencumbered".

Now, there is a good argument with other armor that when it is melded into your form and non-functional you are not armored so a monk's belt will work (I agree with this argument, but there is room for dispute here).

Wild armor states:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The wearer of a suit of armor or a shield with this ability preserves his armor bonus (and any enhancement bonus) while in a wild shape. Armor and shields with this ability usually appear to be made covered in leaf patterns. While the wearer is in a wild shape, the armor cannot be seen.
    Now, your DM may disagree, but I believe the last sentence make is clear that the wearer is still armored when wildshaped using wild armor.
    If the armor was still treated as "melded and nonfunctional except for the armor bonus" then there would be no question about visibility.
    And as the character is still armored, a monk's belt will not function.

There is definitely room for dispute here (it is ambiguous), so the DM's call is final, but I beleive that the position I have stated is the less controversial interpretation of the rules.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 576

Does a familiar act on its own initiative count, or its master's?

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 577

Dragon #359, Craft (body modifications):
    Armor: Much less common is the permanent application of armor, in which the crafter magically burns and warps flesh to adhere to small steel plates. A character wishing to gird himself in this manner gains an armor bonus up to +8, at a cost of 300 gp and 5 pounds of encumbrance per point of armor bonus. Armor combat mod has a maximum Dex bonus of 9 minus the armor bonus, an armor check penalty equal to the armor bonus (masterwork armor reduces this penalty by 1 as normal), and an arcane spell failure chance of 5% per point of armor bonus. Up to a +3 armor bonus counts as light armor and allows normal speed, an armor bonus of +4 to +6 counts as medium armor, and an armor bonus of +7 or +8 counts as heavy armor.

This armor can be spiked, constructed from special materials, and made magical, all for the normal costs of such treatments. Removing an armor combat mod deals 1d6 points of damage per level or HD of the character and renders the plates useless. Characters choosing this modification may not wear any other armor, although they may still use shields.

Attaching light armor requires a DC 20 Craft (body modifications) or Heal check. Medium armor has a DC of 25, while heavy armor's DC is 30.
    Please, tell me (with quotes, as usual):
    1. Adding more AC (magic, special material, template, etc) wouldn't simultaneously increase ACP, decrease maximal Dex bonus, and increase ASF by 5% per AC point
    2. Adding more AC above +3 wouldn't suddenly require Armor Proficiency (Medium), and above +6 - Armor Proficiency (Heavy)

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Troll in the Playground

Q 578

Factotum class ability Opportunistic Piety allows healing an ally or harming an undead but I don't seem to see a range anywhere. Can the Factotum just deliver the healing/damage to anyone he has LoE or LoS to? Is there a general rule about saves vs this damage for undead, or do they just eat it no questions asked?
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Troll in the Playground

Q 579
    If I go into Warrior Skald with one level of bard, which bardic musics will I have?

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Druid w/ Vow of Poverty Question

This may seem like a dumb question. But a Druid couldn’t use a plain wooden shield with the Vow of poverty right? Or would that be a simple common item for a person of the wild?

25. - Top - End - #1195

Goblin

Default Re: Druid w/ Vow of Poverty Question

Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    Q 578

Factotum class ability Opportunistic Piety allows healing an ally or harming an undead but I don't seem to see a range anywhere. Can the Factotum just deliver the healing/damage to anyone he has LoE or LoS to? Is there a general rule about saves vs this damage for undead, or do they just eat it no questions asked?
    A 578

That's... a poorly written rule. On first looking at it, my instinct was to assume that they intended it to work by touch, but nothing of the sort is stated there. You just have to see what your DM thinks about it, at the same time that you ask him/her about whether or not you can spend multiple inspiration points on Cunning Strike to get multiple d6's of Sneak Attack.

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Q 579
    If I go into Warrior Skald with one level of bard, which bardic musics will I have?
    A 579

Well, you already have countersong, fascinate and inspire courage from your bard level. The rest you get as soon as you have enough ranks in a Perform skill to use them. For example, if you have 6 ranks in a Perform skill, you get inspire competence. You do not have to have 3 levels of bard, because only the skill-rank requirement still applies.

Quote Originally Posted by Damaskinous View Post
    Q 580

This may seem like a dumb question. But a Druid couldn’t use a plain wooden shield with the Vow of poverty right? Or would that be a simple common item for a person of the wild?
    A 580

Please remember to number your questions.

The text of VoP is formatted as an absolute ban on material possessions, with a few specific exceptions enumerated: a simple weapon, simple clothes, 1 days' worth of food, and a spell component pouch. No exception is given for shields, so the answer is "no": you cannot have a shield.

However, check with your DM to be sure, because there are a couple inconsistencies between the feat text and the "Voluntary Poverty" section earlier in the book.

-----

Does anyone have thoughts on the question I asked earlier about Undead hunger? This one:

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Q 573

The desiccator from Libris Mortis has an inescapable craving. Here's the quote:

"Inescapable Craving: A desiccator has an inescapable craving for water, which it absorbs by using its fatiguing touch ability."

Does this mean its fatiguing touch the only way to satisfy its craving? Or can it just drink/absorb water from a waterskin or something?
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2020-06-14 at 06:03 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Troll in the Playground

Q581 Does the Druid class feature Nature Sense (+2 to knowledge (nature) and survival checks) stack with the feat Skill Focus (+3 to any one skill, can be taken multiple times but applies to a different skill each time) taken for either or both of these skills?
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Q581 Does the Druid class feature Nature Sense (+2 to knowledge (nature) and survival checks) stack with the feat Skill Focus (+3 to any one skill, can be taken multiple times but applies to a different skill each time) taken for either or both of these skills?
    A581 Yes, untyped bonuses stack with each other unless indicated otherwise.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks! T581
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

29. - Top - End - #1199

Planetar

Q582:
    I want to use NPC casters that employ the cooperative spell feat.
    For it to work, do all casters have to use the same metamagic? Or is it possible that the lead caster uses an cooperative extended spell (for example, spirit worm), and has 5 younglings that only cast that spell as cooperative spell?

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Titan in the Playground

A582 Casters do not require additional metamagic feats to contribute to a cooperative spell.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition