New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8334849505152535455565758596061 LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 1828
  1. - Top - End - #1711
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    Q 807

Do the Sudden metamagic feats in Complete Arcane require increased casting time for spontaneous casters?

For context, the MH printing has this note:

but I don't see any equivalent text in CA!
    In the absence of any text contradicting Miniatures Handbook, the original rule stands.

2. - Top - End - #1712
    Titan in the Playground

A 805 (addition) Take supernatural transformation. It will turn your sla into a supernatural ability.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #1713

q 808

if a +caster level effect lasts 1minute, but a spell casting time is 12 hours, do you get the +caster level? its on at the start of casting but off at the end of casting.

q 809
    can you activate immediate actions in the middle of casting as long as said immediate action is not a spell? like abrupt jaunt or discharging a spell that requires an immediate action to discharge.
    Last edited by newguydude1; 2020-10-17 at 07:02 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1714
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q810: if you roll a diplomacy check and get less than a 1, can you try again, hoping to get less than a 1 the second time so that the enemy will take risks to harm you?

5. - Top - End - #1715
    Titan in the Playground

A 808 No.
    A 809 Kind of. If you were to do this, the immediate action would "interrupt" whatever you were doing and would be considered to have come first, so you adjudicate your immediate, then finish whatever you were doing, as long as you weren't flat-footed.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

6. - Top - End - #1716
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by newguydude1 View Post
    q 809
    can you activate immediate actions in the middle of casting as long as said immediate action is not a spell? like abrupt jaunt or discharging a spell that requires an immediate action to discharge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 809 Kind of. If you were to do this, the immediate action would "interrupt" whatever you were doing and would be considered to have come first, so you adjudicate your immediate, then finish whatever you were doing, as long as you weren't flat-footed.
    I'll add a caveat: spell-like abilities are treated as spells for most purposes. It's likely that using one would break your concentration just as if you had cast a spell (even if it's an immediate action, like abrupt jaunt). Ask your DM.

7. - Top - End - #1717

A 808 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    I'll add a caveat: spell-like abilities are treated as spells for most purposes. It's likely that using one would break your concentration just as if you had cast a spell (even if it's an immediate action, like abrupt jaunt). Ask your DM.
    so the rule im worried about is this
    Quote Originally Posted by spell descriptions
    A spell that takes 1 minute to cast comes into effect just before your turn 1 minute later (and for each of those 10 rounds, you are casting a spell as a full-round action, just as noted above for 1-round casting times). These actions must be consecutive and uninterrupted, or the spell automatically fails.
    so you guys are saying if i use abrupt jaunt in the middle of casting a 1 hour spell, the spell doesnt fail and i get to keep casting it? so i can cast adept spirit, cast for 59minutes, and then use an immediate action to activate adept spirit (gives +1 caster level) and finish the spell?

8. - Top - End - #1718
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q811

Arcane Hierophant has this class ability:

Companion Familiar: Upon becoming an arcane hierophant, you must dismiss your familiar, if you have one (You do not risk losing XP for doing so.) You may retain any one animal companion you already possess... In addition, your animal companion (if any) gains many of the abilities that a familiar would normally possess. You add your arcane hierophant class level to your arcane spellcasting class level, and determine the Intelligence bonus and special abilities of your animal companion accordingly (see the sidebar Familiars, page 53 of the Player's Handbook).
    I wanted to verify my interpretation here. The ability does not say you add your AH levels to any other levels in classes that grant a familiar, or something similar; it says you add your AH levels to your arcane caster class level and determine familiar abilities accordingly. To my reading, that suggests that a non-familiar-granting arcane caster would stack. For example, a Beguiler 4 / AH 1 would gain the level 5 familiar benefits, such as Speak With Master. Is that an accurate interpretation?
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-10-18 at 12:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

9. - Top - End - #1719
    Titan in the Playground

A 811 Yes, that is correct.

Iron Chef Medals!

10. - Top - End - #1720
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 812
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full.
    Emphasis mine. Is that something specific to Monks, or specific to the Improved Unarmed Strike feat. Can a non-monk character that has the IUS feat attack with both hands full?
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

11. - Top - End - #1721
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Q 812
    Emphasis mine. Is that something specific to Monks, or specific to the Improved Unarmed Strike feat. Can a non-monk character that has the IUS feat attack with both hands full?
    A812
    That's not specific to either. Using any part of the body is a part of the Unarmed Strike description. The Monk's description just re-states you can use any body part, because it's a crucial part of their combat style.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike, Unarmed - PHB p.121
    A Medium character deals 1d3 points of nonlethal damage with an unarmed strike, which may be a punch, kick, head butt, or other type of attack. A Small character deals 1d2 points of nonlethal damage. A monk or any character with the Improved Unarmed Strike feat can deal lethal or nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes, at her option.
    Last edited by Kayblis; 2020-10-19 at 10:41 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1722
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q813

Dragon Steed (Draconomicon) reads:

Benefit: You gain the service of a dragonnel as a steed. It serves loyally as long as you treat it fairly, much like a cohort.
    Special: If you have a special mount (such as from the paladin class feature), this dragonnel replaces your special mount.
    On page 139, it only seems to discuss advancing the dragon mount by paladin level.

Table 3-15: Dragon Special Mount Availability
    Paladin Level Dragon (Maximum Rider Size)
    9th Dragonnel (M)
    11th Spiked felldrake (M)
    12th Gold, wyrmling (S)
    13th Bronze, very young (S)
    14th Silver, very young (S)
    16th Gold, very young (M)
    18th Bronze, young
    19th Silver, young
    20th Gold, young
    Later (on p. 140), however, it also has a table regarding Special Dragon Mount Abilities.

Most prestige classes and feats that I've found that affect mount progression seem to be predicated on increasing your effective paladin level for determing the abilities of your paladin mount. Holy Mount and Knight of the Blue Moon explicitly stack that way, for example.

Holy Mount: ...When determining the abilities of your paladin special mount, you can combine the levels of your paladin class with those of your other divine spellcasting classes. For example, a 5th-level paladin/3rd-level cleric with this feat grants his paladin special mount abilities as an 8th-level paladin.
    Knight of the Blue Moon: ... At 1st level, you can call a special mount. This ability is identical to the paladin ability of the same name, except the mount will always match your alignment. Levels of paladin and Knight of the Blue Moon stack for purposes of determining the special mount's abilities. In addition, if you do not have a familiar, levels of sorcerer or wizard also stack for purposes of determining the special mount's abilities.
    I wanted to confirm: does the type of dragon summoned seem to fall under "abilities," and so increase via these prestige classes that stack with paladin for that purpose, or does the type of dragon summoned seem to be governed entirely by your levels in the PhB Paladin class?

edited for better, clearer phrasing

Edit: Q814

The feat Dragon Steed's benefit line seems to imply that the dragon steed remains with you indefinitely. However, if it replaces your special mount, does that mean that it inherits the special mount's time limit on use (i.e. 2 hours/paladin level)?

Q815

Are there any rules governing what happens if the Dragon Steed ages up another category, either naturally or magically (such as via a Bestow Curse or something similar)? Dragons as Familiars on page 141 include a line that dragons that become very young or older become ineligible to continue to serve as a familiar, but there is no such language that I can find in the passage on Dragons as Special Mounts.
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-10-19 at 08:43 PM.
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

13. - Top - End - #1723
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 816

Do rage variants such as whirling frenzy or berserker strength count as "rage" or "rage or frenzy ability" when it comes to feat/prc requirements? If so, would they interact normally with its benefits?

14. - Top - End - #1724
    Titan in the Playground

A 816 No. ten characters

Iron Chef Medals!

15. - Top - End - #1725
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 817

If you have the Skill Focus (diplomacy) feat, and take a level of Marshal, you can select a different bonus feat instead of the normally granted Skill Focus (diplomacy).

Using the retraining rules from PHB2, can you swap out Skill Focus (diplomacy) for something else, but still retain the bonus feat you got from Marshal 1?

16. - Top - End - #1726
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 818

The spell wings of cover states it provides protection from attacks. It also states that it provides full cover and blocks line of effect. Can wings of cover be used to block a spell that allows a saving throw but not an attack roll, like hold person for example, or does it only protect against spells that require attack rolls to be made?

17. - Top - End - #1727
    Titan in the Playground

A 818 It confers total cover, so anything that requires loe, such as hold person, does not work.

Iron Chef Medals!

18. - Top - End - #1728
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 817

If you have the Skill Focus (diplomacy) feat, and take a level of Marshal, you can select a different bonus feat instead of the normally granted Skill Focus (diplomacy).

Using the retraining rules from PHB2, can you swap out Skill Focus (diplomacy) for something else, but still retain the bonus feat you got from Marshal 1?
    A 817
    Theoretically, yes. You can also do the same kind of things with the various feats granted by Bloodlines.

Some DMs might find it a bit sketchy, though.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-10-22 at 11:48 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #1729

Q 819

If a character has both the death throes (Planar Handbook) and infallible servant (Exemplars of Evil) spells cast on him, which one will activate when he is killed?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #1730

Q 820

Two questions about the Mage of the Arcane Order prestige class (Complete Arcane):

A: If a Mage of the Arcane Order calls a spell from the Spellspool, can she adds a metamagic feat to the newly prepared spell (assuming the available spell slot is of high level enough for the modified spell level)?

B: If a Wu Jen (who can fit the requirements) becomes a Mage of the Arcane Order, can he call (and cast) spells from the Spellpool that are not in the Wu Jen's spell list?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-10-23 at 05:09 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #1731
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 819

If a character has both the death throes (Planar Handbook) and infallible servant (Exemplars of Evil) spells cast on him, which one will activate when he is killed?
    A 819

They activate in the order They have been cast. In this instance, casting Death Throes first then Infallible Servant is the best solution (since your body would explode and then the pieces would liquefy, possibly expanding infallible Servant AoE, but this is not RAW, just a Dm decision)

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 820

Two questions about the Mage of the Arcane Order prestige class (Complete Arcane):

A: If a Mage of the Arcane Order calls a spell from the Spellspool, can she adds a metamagic feat to the newly prepared spell (assuming the available spell slot is of high level enough for the modified spell level)?

B: If a Wu Jen (who can fit the requirements) becomes a Mage of the Arcane Order, can he call (and cast) spells from the Spellpool that are not in the Wu Jen's spell list?
    A 820 - A

There is no indication of neither yes or no. Discuss it with your DM, but as a DM i would rule that you cannot. You bring out a spell of a certain level in a slot of that level.

A 820 - B

As answer A, depends on how the DM interprets the Spellpool. If the Spellpool is like a box containing spells like candies, and you can pick up one to "eat"(use), yes you can, as Wizards can then memorize spells that only Wu Jen can cast. But this means also that there is a chance that you are not able to find a certain spell you are looking for in the pool.
    My interpretation is that the Spellpool is a well of magical energy, that you shape in the form of the wanted spell when you recall the energy. This limits the spells you can form to those of your base spellcasting class.
    The second is the most likely interpretation, so i would say NO to your question
    Last edited by Zerryzerry; 2020-10-23 at 08:31 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1732
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Q813

Dragon Steed (Draconomicon) reads:

On page 139, it only seems to discuss advancing the dragon mount by paladin level.

Later (on p. 140), however, it also has a table regarding Special Dragon Mount Abilities.

Most prestige classes and feats that I've found that affect mount progression seem to be predicated on increasing your effective paladin level for determing the abilities of your paladin mount. Holy Mount and Knight of the Blue Moon explicitly stack that way, for example.

I wanted to confirm: does the type of dragon summoned seem to fall under "abilities," and so increase via these prestige classes that stack with paladin for that purpose, or does the type of dragon summoned seem to be governed entirely by your levels in the PhB Paladin class?

edited for better, clearer phrasing

Edit: Q814

The feat Dragon Steed's benefit line seems to imply that the dragon steed remains with you indefinitely. However, if it replaces your special mount, does that mean that it inherits the special mount's time limit on use (i.e. 2 hours/paladin level)?

Q815

Are there any rules governing what happens if the Dragon Steed ages up another category, either naturally or magically (such as via a Bestow Curse or something similar)? Dragons as Familiars on page 141 include a line that dragons that become very young or older become ineligible to continue to serve as a familiar, but there is no such language that I can find in the passage on Dragons as Special Mounts.
    A813

It means that unless you have Paladin levels, the mount does not get additional benefits from you advancing in level.
    It can be ruled that gains benefits from the levels of any Paladin ACF, at least from the ones that have the Special Mount ability

A814

Yes, takes on all the bonuses and maluses of a special mount

A815

None that I have heard of.

23. - Top - End - #1733
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q821

The Mask of the Tiger (MIC) reads:

A "mask of the tiger" provides you with the benefit of the Track feat (or, if you already have that feat, a +5 competence bonus on Survival checks). In addition, you gain low-light vision
    If a PrC required the "Feat: Track" as a prerequisite, would possession of the mask satisfy it?
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-10-24 at 11:50 PM.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

24. - Top - End - #1734
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A821 You would need to use the mmask to gain low-light vision, but you do not need the feat track.

Either of the full stop and the closing parenthesis between the effect if you already have track and the gaining of low light vision are sufficient to divorce this from that clause, so the low-light vision is "in addition" to the gaining of the track feat (or the bonus if you already have it).

Note: simple possession of the mask is not sufficent, it must be active in the correct magic item slot.

Edit: Apologies to Doctor Despair - I missed the fundamental part of the actual question - Venger is correct, it does meet the requirement for a prestige class while worn.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2020-10-25 at 04:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1735
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A821 You would need to use the mmask to gain low-light vision, but you do not need the feat track.

Either of the full stop and the closing parenthesis between the effect if you already have track and the gaining of low light vision are sufficient to divorce this from that clause, so the low-light vision is "in addition" to the gaining of the track feat (or the bonus if you already have it).

Note: simple possession of the mask is not sufficent, it must be active in the correct magic item slot.
    W.R.T. A821

Yes, I agree that gaining the benefits of the track feat or bonus is independent of gaining low-light vision. However, does gaining the benefits of the track feat satisfy the prerequisites for a prestige class that requires "Feat: Track"?
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-10-25 at 09:40 AM.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

26. - Top - End - #1736
    Titan in the Playground

A 821 clarification Yes, it does.

Iron Chef Medals!

27. - Top - End - #1737
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q822

I've seen the following rules text referenced for Incorporeal creatures, but I can't seem to find a source. Does anyone know what book, if any, this rule comes from?

Incorporeal creatures hiding inside solid objects get a +2 circumstance bonus on Listen checks, because solid objects carry sound well. Pinpointing an opponent from inside a solid object uses the same rules as pinpointing invisible opponents (see Invisibility).
    Q833

Can an Incorporeal creature stick its head out from inside of an object, trading its total cover out for regular cover in exchange for making a spot check?

An Incorporeal creature has cover (instead of total cover) when attacking from inside of an object. An attack can include unarmed strikes, such as a headbutt. I'm not sure if that translates to just sticking your head out though.

Likewise, when not in combat, I'm not sure if the rules for Local Movement would let an Incorporeal creature lean just its head into another square to maintain cover.

RAI, I think, suggests this should be a simple matter to resolve, but I was hoping for a second RAW opinion
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

28. - Top - End - #1738
    Titan in the Playground

A 822 It's in the rules compendium p65 under "environment"

A 823 No. A (say medium) creature can only be in one square at a time. You're either in the wall or out of the wall; you cannot be in both at once.

Iron Chef Medals!

29. - Top - End - #1739
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q824

After looking at the following rules on taking 10, I was wondering if someone could clarify: is there any reason a hidden character would be precluded from taking 10 on a listen check, providing they are not in combat or threatened?

Spoiler: Taking 10
    Show

When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, calculate your result as if you had rolled a 10. For many routine tasks, taking 10 makes them automatically successful. Distractions or threats (such as combat) make it impossible for a character to take 10. In most cases, taking 10 is purely a safety measure —you know (or expect) that an average roll will succeed but fear that a poor roll might fail, so you elect to settle for the average roll (a 10). Taking 10 is especially useful in situations where a particularly high roll wouldn’t help
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

30. - Top - End - #1740
    Titan in the Playground

A 823 No. A (say medium) creature can only be in one square at a time. You're either in the wall or out of the wall; you cannot be in both at once.
    Adding to this: it would be possible out of combat, since only combat movement is locked to a grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Q824

After looking at the following rules on taking 10, I was wondering if someone could clarify: is there any reason a hidden character would be precluded from taking 10 on a listen check, providing they are not in combat or threatened?

Spoiler: Taking 10
    Show

When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, calculate your result as if you had rolled a 10. For many routine tasks, taking 10 makes them automatically successful. Distractions or threats (such as combat) make it impossible for a character to take 10. In most cases, taking 10 is purely a safety measure —you know (or expect) that an average roll will succeed but fear that a poor roll might fail, so you elect to settle for the average roll (a 10). Taking 10 is especially useful in situations where a particularly high roll wouldn’t help
    The DM has discretion to decide whether taking 10 is appropriate in a situation, but other than that, there's nothing that would prohibit doing this, no. Note that it may not be your decision if the Listen check is rolled secretly.