New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 093

Which creature of the Dragon type has the most HD and/or largest size at CR18 or less? I'm looking at Desert Landwyrm (32HD/gargantuan), but there may be other options.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

A93

Without Half-Dragon shenanigans, a Wyrm Ethereal Dragon is the highest I can find, at 34. Quick Edit: Wyrm Steel Dragon gets the same 34 earlier at CR16.

With Half-Dragon shenanigans via Savage Species rituals, an Incarnate Construct Flesh Colossus changed to Half-Dragon via rituals.
    Last edited by MisterKaws; 2019-07-06 at 08:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 094

When a character cast a spell or start an effect with a duration in rounds, each new round of it begins at the start of the caster's turn. If it has an effect every round (like damage or saving throw), this is similarly resolved at the start of the initiator's turn.

What if said caster later move in the initiative order, probably with the delay action or a readied action? Is the effect he initiated earlier still counted at the start of his turns, or does it keep instead the original initiative count?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

A94 It moves to your new initiative count.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Q 095

Would having the Mineral Warrior template applied to a familiar affect it's ability to serve as a familiar?

Q 095b

If it's all kosher, how do you calculate it's Int? Is the -2 Int deducted from the Int that the familiar gains listed on the table?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

A95

I believe you meant Q95 and Q95b there.

There's no RAW-legal way to get templated familiars asides from those few weird classes like Alienist and co. Nonetheless, there's none for Mineral Warrior.

If you did get it, though, I believe the Familiar Int would supersede it, as long as you got a familiar that already was a mineral warrior.
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    A95

I believe you meant Q95 and Q95b there.

There's no RAW-legal way to get templated familiars asides from those few weird classes like Alienist and co. Nonetheless, there's none for Mineral Warrior.

If you did get it, though, I believe the Familiar Int would supersede it, as long as you got a familiar that already was a mineral warrior.
    Thanks, updated OP.

Sorry, may be unclear in my original question, but I meant applying the template to an existing familiar.

There is a mechanical method to add the template to an existing familiar (Mineralize Warrior spell): the crux of my question is - would the creature then become ineligible to continue to serve as a familiar? I don't think there is any text that specifically states this to be the case?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Thanks, updated OP.

Sorry, may be unclear in my original question, but I meant applying the template to an existing familiar.

There is a mechanical method to add the template to an existing familiar (Mineralize Warrior spell): the crux of my question is - would the creature then become ineligible to continue to serve as a familiar? I don't think there is any text that specifically states this to be the case?
    Hmm... I was unaware of this specific spell. Good to know.

If it applies after you got your familiar, I believe it would drop down the Intelligence score. This is somewhat ambiguous territory, not really supported by RAW. You should open another threat for that.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

A95 No. (we'll assume you pao your familiar into a humanoid first or something then dismiss the effect. I know of no legal way to begin play with a humanoid familiar)

A95b you always apply modifiers in the way most beneficial to the pc, so that means apply the penalty first, losing some since the minimum will prevent you from hitting 0, and then adding the value from the table.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A95 No. (we'll assume you pao your familiar into a humanoid first or something then dismiss the effect. I know of no legal way to begin play with a humanoid familiar)
    Interesting: I didn't realize the spell was for humanoid targets only.

Oddly, the template itself says it's an acquired template that can any corporeal creature that is not a construct, undead, or an elemental; so there must be other methods to apply it other than the spell. The sample Mineral Warrior in the book is an Outsider, for instance.

11. - Top - End - #191

ElfRangerGuy

Q96: What's the maximum caster level for creating magic items?
    (I remember seeing a rule somewhere that you can't create an item with a caster level more than twice the minimum, but I can't find it in the SRD.)

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 96

There is no maximum caster level for creating magic items.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

A96

As an addendum, here's a quote from the ELH:

Quote Originally Posted by ELH p124
    If your item gives a bonus beyond the limit allowed in the DUNGEON MASTER’s Guide, multiply the portion of the market price derived from that characteristic by 10. Some epic characteristics, such as caster level, don’t trigger this multiplier.
    This means that items above CL 21 are also priced normally, and not as Epic(unless they have an Epic bonus, of course).

14. - Top - End - #194

ElfRangerGuy

A96
    Addendum 2:
    There is a limit in at least 1 case:
    Dorjes(Psionic wands)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Dorjes are normally created at the minimum manifester level required to manifest the power, and powers that can be augmented are not augmented when stored in a dorje. A dorje’s wielder cannot augment the power contained within the dorje. However, dorjes can be created at a higher manifester level than required to manifest the power. In this case, the dorje that holds an augmentable power is augmented, to the limit of the manifester level and the power’s augmentation maximums, if any. The manifester level of a dorje cannot be more than five higher than the minimum manifester level to use the power it contains.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Q97

Fiery Discorporation
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/po...orporation.htm

Does it matter if after one day the nearest open flame is one kilometer away?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Q98

Empathic Transfer, Hostile
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/po...ferHostile.htm

"If you spend 6 additional power points, this power affects all creatures in a 20-foot-radius spread centered on you."
    If you have three opponent around and they all fail their saves, does that mean that you transfer 50 hp worth of damage on each, thus healing 150 hit points (assuming that you have lost that much)?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q99. Can you mortalbane (bovd) your paladins mount spell like ability from paladin level 5 to have it do more damage?

18. - Top - End - #198

Lizardfolk

Q100
    Would someone Polymorphed into a being with Vow of Poverty gain the benefits?
    Last edited by PraxisVetli; 2019-07-11 at 01:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

A97 No

A98 Yes

A99 No. Mortalbane only applies to damaging slas. Your horse (or whatever) is the result of your summoning ability, not the ability itself, like how it couldn't apply to a summon monster sla. The sla doesn't deal damage.

A100 Polymorph does not grant feats.
    Last edited by Venger; 2019-07-11 at 02:05 PM.

Iron Chef Medals!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Q101

Fuse Flesh
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fuseFlesh.htm
    If the victim fails the first saving throw, is it helpless and open to coup de grace for the duration of the spell unless it can move without its limbs, such as via ogre mage's flight ability?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

A101

Although not mentioned explicitly, the description for Fuse Flesh basically matches the description for the Paralyzed condition. Paralyzed creatures are helpless, so it stands to reason that creatures who fail the Fuse Flesh save are also helpless. This is, however, RAI, and not RAW, and the errata for the EPH did not change Fuse Flesh at all.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 102

Is Lumi crusader's CR calculated wrong in Monster Manual III on page 99? My calculations say that the CR should be 9.

I don't understand the CR in this case. I don't understand where CR8 comes from.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    Q 102

Is Lumi crusader's CR calculated wrong in Monster Manual III on page 99? My calculations say that the CR should be 9.

I don't understand the CR in this case. I don't understand where CR8 comes from.
    A 102 CR isn't really a calulation. Yes there are rules for how to calculate a CR when adding class levels to a Monster Manual entry, but the actual entries themselves are definitely an art not a science (and a lot of people reagrd a lot of them as wrong).

So, yes, if you take the base (2) and add 6 (cleric levels) and 1 (half the fighter levels as non-associated) you get 9, but you could say the fighter levels are the main class and the cleric are non-associated (2 + 3 + 2 = 7). I think most likely is they have decided that the lumi hit dice count as non-associated with that many class levels added in. Either way, technically the "8" is not a calcuated value, it is a starting point for adding more class levels.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 103

In dragon magazine or WOTC material. Was there a feat that allowed a githzerai or githyanki to manifest ( say inertial armor from Zerai ) at their full dice, instead of just half?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q104
    What's a craftable Construct that advances by class levels?

Q105
    Can a magic resetting trap affect itself with Foresight.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2019-07-13 at 03:05 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q104
    What's a craftable Construct that advances by class levels?
    Warforged, for a certain definition of craftable.

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q105
    Can a magic resetting trap affect itself with Foresight.
    No, foresight doesn't target objects.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Q 106

So as not to necro a thread, posting this here:

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    I remember seeing a spell that summoned a gelatinous cube, and another that summoned a plant critter that used the ghoul stats, but was aplant instead pf undead. Dont remember the books though. It may have been a faerun book.
    The former spells is Engulfing Terror; does anyone know which spell the second item might refer to?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 106

So as not to necro a thread, posting this here:

The former spells is Engulfing Terror; does anyone know which spell the second item might refer to?
    A question slightly outside the thread's normal fare merits an answer slightly outside the thread's normal fare:

The only data exhaustive googling of various combinations of the words "plant, ghoul, spell, summon, etc." yielded no useful information aside from one other post, also by Vizzerdrix, alluding to the same spell:

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Create Crawling claw, Create Darkenbeast, minor servitor, one that summons a gelatinous cube, and another that summons a plant/ghoul thing. The last two I dont recall the names off the top of my head. I never see them used, but I feel like they have great potential.
    Unfortunately no one identified the latter spell in that thread either. His listing it alongside those spells implies its inclusion in monsters of faerun. I checked my copy, and it's not there. One of my searches suggested it was in power of faerun. I checked my copy. There is exactly one (epic) spell in it and aside from one or two presno other rules information at all. What a worthless book. Also has no plant or ghoul related material.

I searched summoning, calling, and creation spells, and spells with the word "plant" or "ghoul" in them. Nothing.

At this point, I'll resort to my go-to and feel fairly confident Vizzerdrix is thinking from something from dragon magazine. Perhaps the issue featuring thrall of zuggtmoy? It had a lot of plant and undead stuff in it, perhaps it featured a spell to summon ghouls that are plants. EDIT: it's not in dragon 337 either, but might be in some other issue.

EDIT:A106 it was sticks and stones. shining south p 49.
    Last edited by Venger; 2019-07-14 at 03:37 AM.

Iron Chef Medals!

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A question slightly outside the thread's normal fare merits an answer slightly outside the thread's normal fare:

The only data exhaustive googling of various combinations of the words "plant, ghoul, spell, summon, etc." yielded no useful information aside from one other post, also by Vizzerdrix, alluding to the same spell:

Unfortunately no one identified the latter spell in that thread either. His listing it alongside those spells implies its inclusion in monsters of faerun. I checked my copy, and it's not there. One of my searches suggested it was in power of faerun. I checked my copy. There is exactly one (epic) spell in it and aside from one or two presno other rules information at all. What a worthless book. Also has no plant or ghoul related material.

I searched summoning, calling, and creation spells, and spells with the word "plant" or "ghoul" in them. Nothing.

At this point, I'll resort to my go-to and feel fairly confident Vizzerdrix is thinking from something from dragon magazine. Perhaps the issue featuring thrall of zuggtmoy? It had a lot of plant and undead stuff in it, perhaps it featured a spell to summon ghouls that are plants. EDIT: it's not in dragon 337 either, but might be in some other issue.

A106
    I have indeed tracked the spell down. Sticks and Stones from Shining South. Page 49. Wiz/sorc lv3 spell. It is a necromancy spell, so most likely no of use to you in regards to the original topic.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2019-07-14 at 04:05 AM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Thank you both for your efforts.