New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Potential ethereal jaunt combo - legal help needed

Totally inspired by Falontani's "Silver Sniper" build, I had an idea for a combo that involves the sha'ir, planar bubble, ethereal jaunt and knight of the raven - the scope is, to hide in the ethereal plane and cast maximized and empowered offensive spell onto the material plane with impunity. I developed it very fast, so I could have missed something.

So, let's assume we have persist spell, turn undead through knight of the raven and race: illumian.
    We take some level in the shadowcraft mage (illusionists cabal entry), so that we can exploit earth spell/silent image. We also have a level in dweomerkeeper or whatever, and we can spontaneously cast silent image as much as we want.

We also buy a collar of umbral metamorphosis that, as far as I can understand, lets us count as native creatures of the plane of shadows.

We persist ethereal jaunt and planar bubble (touch spells are kosher according to WotC's customer support). Now we are on the ethereal plane, while we leave our raven in the material plane, where it follows the rest of the party. So we do.
    With planar bubble, all spells with the shadow descriptor are maximized, including our shadow evocations/conjurations (that we cast spontaneously through "Shadow illusion"; this trick I've found in the shadowcraft mage handbook).

We can cast all our spells having our raven as point of origin; this means that we can kill everyone without being seen or even without being physically there. The combo seems decent, and becomes even more powerful if you share planar bubble with your fire gen familiar (native of the elemental plane of fire), you bring it with you on the ethereal plane (through a familiar pocket, if needed), and by overlapping the two planar bubbles you get all your fire spells empowered as well. This last aspect is a bit controversial, as I'm not sure how two overlapping planes would work.

Thoughts? Does it work? Was it already pointed out in previous discussions?

Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by Kaleph; 2019-07-12 at 10:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Potential ethereal jaunt combo - legal help needed

Can the Channel Spell's "line of sight" cross planes? Honest question, I'm not sure if this has come up before. I think the default is that abilities can't cross planes unless they specifically say they can, so you wouldn't be able to channel into your familiar even if you could see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Potential ethereal jaunt combo - legal help needed

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Can the Channel Spell's "line of sight" cross planes? Honest question, I'm not sure if this has come up before. I think the default is that abilities can't cross planes unless they specifically say they can, so you wouldn't be able to channel into your familiar even if you could see them.
    Good question.
    I'm not sure, it only says that it requires line of sight., so I've ASSUMED it can. No mentioning od planescrossing...

EDIT: line of sight is defined in the PHB, page 310. RAW it seems that the trick works, but only if the caster is on the ethereal place (as it physically occupies the same space as the material plane). RAI, if I were the DM...well, yours would be a reasonable enough argumentation to block this combo without explicitly relying on houseruling or banhammer.
    Last edited by Kaleph; 2019-05-20 at 02:40 PM.