New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Heat Metal to work iron without a forge?

To answer a question, no, quenching is the rapid cooling of metal to cold heat, when the spell ends, the metal returns to the tempature it was before the spell. That would most likely be room temp. This means that the metal would be normalised, loose all temper, and be considered "soft" steel. This wouldn't apply to mild steel, as it cannot be tempered.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    Well, Find traps doesn't find traps so I guess it makes sense that Heat Metal doesn't heat metal.
    I would say Heat Metal does heat metal, but it does so in a specific magical, miraculous way that by default doesn't map to states and processes of thermodynamics or materials physics that can be extrapolated and exploited.

It should be fairly simple to house rule Find Traps to its 2E incarnation, which seems to have been the last time the spell found traps for you. Not sure why the 5E version looks like it does, maybe they went overboard with niche protection in this one instance.
    Ur-member and coffee caterer of the fan club.

I wish people would stop using phrases such as "in my humble opinion", "just my two cents", and "we're out of coffee".

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for they are out drinking coffee and, like, whatever.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, why not.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

If this theoretical magical blacksmith was able to get themselves some sorcerer levels they could use the Extend Spell Metamagic to extend the duration of one spell as long as needed to do whatever work they need done.

5. - Top - End - #35

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Derpldorf View Post
    If this theoretical magical blacksmith was able to get themselves some sorcerer levels they could use the Extend Spell Metamagic to extend the duration of one spell as long as needed to do whatever work they need done.
    Presuming the secondary effects of metal actually heating to the point of being able to warp from hammer blows actually occurs. But as any sane DM knows by now, granting players the ability to hypothesize or extrapolate secondary effects from a spell is the road to ruin. They do precisely what they mean to and nothing more. No, Cone of Cold will not freeze the lake solid. Once you let them go that far, they will bring down all of physics and chemistry unto your head in an effort to gain more from spells than what is reasonable for the effect level. Players have theorized ways to produce an infinite supply of diamonds using highly pressurized coal machines and Pun Pun only existed as the result of a liberal reading of the rules.

Say No to Spell Abuse. Have them research a similar spell if they want a different effect.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyutaru View Post
    Presuming the secondary effects of metal actually heating to the point of being able to warp from hammer blows actually occurs. But as any sane DM knows by now, granting players the ability to hypothesize or extrapolate secondary effects from a spell is the road to ruin. They do precisely what they mean to and nothing more. No, Cone of Cold will not freeze the lake solid. Once you let them go that far, they will bring down all of physics and chemistry unto your head in an effort to gain more from spells than what is reasonable for the effect level. Players have theorized ways to produce an infinite supply of diamonds using highly pressurized coal machines and Pun Pun only existed as the result of a liberal reading of the rules.

Say No to Spell Abuse. Have them research a similar spell if they want a different effect.
    Bender: Wait, I know. I make use of my rod of fireball!
    Cubert: *Scoffs* Everyone knows red dragons are immune to fireballs as well as all other forms of incendiary attack.
    Bender: Yes, but I aim not at the dragon but at the river itself to create a shroud of steam through which we can escape!
    ALL: Whoa

I do not agree with your statement. Every table is different, and I consider myself a sane DM.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2019-05-26 at 11:52 PM.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Another idea. How about an anvil that is enchanted with heat metal to keep the metal laid on it at a workable temperature? Perhaps with a command word to turn it on and off. Could be the best item ever for a travelling smith.
    Maybe not a traveling smith in my case, but I'm stealing this for the Artificer/Magic Item Crafter in my setting. Not just for convenience on his part, but as a subtle show of skill.
    "Yeah, I made a forge that keeps the metal I work with at a workable heat so I don't need to sit around twiddling my thumbs while it heats back up."
    Just to flex on the 'normal' smiths.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

A magic forge wouldn't have to be enchanted with Heat Metal, though.

It'd be more useful to have an enchantment that let you control the heat of the metal from cold to white hot (or even melting temperature).

Magic items don't need to replicate spells, and in many case are more useful that way.