Results 1 to 2 of 2
- Join Date
- Jul 2013
Oath of Unyielding - A Paladin subclass based on M:tG's Ajani Goldmane (PEACH)
As I'm reading the War of the Spark novel based on block of the same name, the Infinity-Wars-esque story cap in the Magic: the Gathering universe, I'm restarting my series of subclasses based on Planeswalkers.
Oath of the Unyielding
Level Spells 3rd Shield of Faith, Cure Wounds 5th Magic Weapon, Lesser Restoration 9th Beacon of Hope, Spirit Guardians 13th Guardian of Nature, Conjure Woodland Beings 17th Far Step, Reincarnate
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options:
- Leadership - As an action, You can utter a special command or warning to up to 3 creatures other than yourself within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw. This effect does not stack with the Bless spell, and ends after 1 minute, or if you are Incapacitated.
- Inspiring Call - As a bonus action, you can bolster injured creatures with your Channel Divinity. Each creature of your choice that can hear you within 30 feet of you regains hit points equal to your paladin level plus your charisma modifier (minimum 1), provided that the creature can see or hear you.
Starting at 7th level, your spells can make . If you cast a spell with a spell slot of 1st level or higher, an allied creature of your choice within 10 ft can use their reaction immediately after the spell to make one weapon attack against a creature of your choice that you can see.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.
At 15th level, whenever you attack, your body radiates healing energy. Whenever you use your divine smite feature, You and friendly creatures in your Solidarity aura gain hit points equal to half the radiant damage dealt.
In addition, when you are reduced to 0 hit points and are not killed outright, you can choose to drop to 1 hit point instead. Once you use this ability, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.
At 20th level, as an action, you can emanate an aura of protection and safety for 1 minute:
- Your regeneration mantra feature increases to 10 hit points
- You can use the Help action as a bonus action on allies up to 30 feet away, provided they can see or hear you. Allies aided in this way have their AC increased by 2 for 1 round
- As a reaction, you can reroll an Intelligence, a Wisdom, or a Charisma saving throw saving throw that you or an ally fails. You can use this feature three times during the duration.
- Ajani is probably the hardest character to interpret into a single class as he has such a long arc over the various stories in the last 12 years.
- I probably need to do a second pass on the oath spell list
- The Leadership Channel divinity is based on the Leadership ability of certain NPCs (such as the Knight), and is effectively a no-concentration Bless (with a note you can't double-bless a target). Thus, he could theoretically bless twice as many targets, but also made me okay with including so many concentration spells in the oath spell list.
- The Solidarity of Heroes feature is based on the Order cleric's ability to turn healing words (and other spells) into ally attacks
- Regeneration Mantra was based on a line in the story where he's knocked unconscious during a fight, but his magic continues to heal him as he lays on the floor. (This was originally the 6th level ability and less powerful
- Valiant Protector gives the ranged help action which also increases AC of targets briefly, and the final ability is modeled after a Fighter's Indomitable feature.
Let me know what you think!
Spoiler: Other M:tG Inspired Homebrew
- Willforger - a Fighter Subclass based on Angrath
- Bloodlord Patron - Vampiric Warlock Subclass Based on Sorin Markov
- School of Galvimancy - Wizard subclass based on Ral Zarek
- The Ghost Slayer, a rogue subclass based on Kaya
- Oath of the Hieromancer, a paladin subclass based on Gideon Jura
- Circle of Awakening a druid subclass based on Nissa Revane,
- The Soulless, a warlock patron based on Liliana Vess.
- The College of Mentalism- Telepathic/Illusion-based Bard Subclass based on Jace Beleren
- M:tG Keywords ideas for Ravnica encounter & monster creation
- Mutagenic Sorcerer, a support-based subclass based on the Simic Guild of MTG's Ravnica
- Join Date
- Jul 2013
Re: Oath of Unyielding - A Paladin subclass based on M:tG's Ajani Goldmane (PEACH)
Finally did some playtesting and the Regeneration aura was absurdly broken at level 6.
I shuffled things around, and now creates an interesting set of choices:
- the aura allows reaction-attacks when you cast spells
- the regeneration happens when you use your divine smite