New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

Eh, I don't know if I'm ready for a D&D Tim Burton movie. But a Guillermo Del Toro Planescape flick would be interesting.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kyutaru View Post
    Disney presents Icewind Dale! Now with memorable songs like "All We Wanna Do is Eat Your Brains" and a cast of colorful soul-stealing undead horrors sure to give your kids nightmares.

Directed by Tim Burton
    Worth it if it means we're in the timeline where Disney licensed a Jonathan Coulton song.

3. - Top - End - #363

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Eh, I don't know if I'm ready for a D&D Tim Burton movie. But a Guillermo Del Toro Planescape flick would be interesting.
    Him or Taika Waititi

DnD is best when it has an acceptable mix of taking itself seriously and accepting degrees of goofiness.

Edit: also the guys who did Lego Movie. They really managed to capture the essence of playing the game while making a good story out of playing the game.
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2019-06-14 at 06:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    ...They became minor cult movies with some of the best comicbook villain portrayals in cinema, great soundtracks and an overall interesting take on a franchise associated with pure camp in the mainstream until the movie franchise was given to completely different directors?
    You and I remember Budapest very differently... I suppose we shall have to agree to very strongly disagree on that topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

5. - Top - End - #365
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, I'm with Winthur. Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns were the two best Batman movies so far, and I have no anticipation of them being unseated for that title anytime soon.

Batman Forever was as awful as it was in part because it was allegedly in the same continuity as those two and flushed everything good they had built up down the toilet.

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Yeah, I'm with Winthur. Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns were the two best Batman movies so far, and I have no anticipation of them being unseated for that title anytime soon.
    A lot of people would claim Dark Knight beat them.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Him or Taika Waititi

DnD is best when it has an acceptable mix of taking itself seriously and accepting degrees of goofiness.

Edit: also the guys who did Lego Movie. They really managed to capture the essence of playing the game while making a good story out of playing the game.
    I could also live with Stephen Sommers.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    You and I remember Budapest very differently...
    I have no idea what Budapest means in this context, so I'm going to take this leisurely opportunity to promote this old video of mine where I break the laws of physics in a video game level that happens to take place in Budapest. It seems about as a propos as anything else. For additional context, none of what I had said about the Burton Batmans isn't true, as the movies did meet critical acclaim, they did supercede the wacky Batman TV show in the minds of the non-comicbook reading public, Danny Elfman did win a Grammy for the soundtrack, and Burton had little to do with Forever and "...and Robin".

Also, my mom loves the first movie and Jack's Joker. On top of that, prominent critic and culture aficionado, Jason Gastrow, put that particular Joker on his prestigious list of Top 10 Jokers as number #2. Perhaps you're the odd one out in light of this overpowering evidence.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2019-06-14 at 08:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

9. - Top - End - #369

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I could also live with Stephen Sommers.
    Now that I think about it, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (Lego Movie guys) would be best to take up a dnd movie.

Dungeons and Dragon movies have always been subpar because they end up being somewhat generic fantasy adventure.

A good D&D movie would do well by somehow leaning on the 4th wall. Akin to Order of the Sticks or even Gamers 2.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

For any D&D movie / TV project, I'd nominate John Rogers because he's not only a fairly accomplished TV showrunner (Leverage and The Librarians are fun), but he also wrote Fell's Five, which is one of the funniest, bantsiest adaptations of D&D into any medium.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Colossus in the Playground

A lot of people would claim Dark Knight beat them.
    Let them come here and say it, then.

And I'll reply, "You're wrong."

12. - Top - End - #372

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Let them come here and say it, then.

And I'll reply, "You're wrong."
    Dark Knight was better than both of these films.

Probably had less influence on the cultural moment, but just a better overall plot, action and acting.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dark Knight was better than both of these films.

Probably had less influence on the cultural moment, but just a better overall plot, action and acting.
    I'm going to side with Kish on that matter. The only thing the Dark Knight has on those two movies was the Joker. He alone made that movie amazing.

14. - Top - End - #374

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    I'm going to side with Kish on that matter. The only thing the Dark Knight has on those two movies was the Joker. He alone made that movie amazing.
    He just didn't rub my rhubarb, I suppose.

The Mod Wonder: And "Which movie Batman is the best Batman" is a bit off topic... and currently ignores Adam West, so is invalid, anyway.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

He just didn't rub my rhubarb, I suppose.
    With my masterful ability to bridge topics, I take this equally masterful image and ask you:

Do you assume the game has romances? If so, do you think it's more the Dragon Age/ ME sexual type or a more involved BG 2 involved style?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    With my masterful ability to bridge topics, I take this equally masterful image and ask you:

Do you assume the game has romances? If so, do you think it's more the Dragon Age/ ME sexual type or a more involved BG 2 involved style?
    Romances are a staple of the genre nowadays, so I'd assume they'll be included. I see the Dragon Age and Mass Effect romances as an evolution of those in Baldur's Gate 2, so I don't really understand the question.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

17. - Top - End - #377

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post

They do tend to be a staple of the genre these days... I think Fallout 3 is the last game I can think of that didn't have them, assuming they were heavy into role-playing.
    The Cranky Gamer

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

They do tend to be a staple of the genre these days... I think Fallout 3 is the last game I can think of that didn't have them, assuming they were heavy into role-playing.
    New Vegas didn't really have romantic relationships either, although at least each companion had their own side-quest and could develop non-romantic friendly relationships with all of them.

The latest Pathfinder game which is set in 3.P (if the name didn't give it away) and thus D&D related, didn't have any actual romance either, although again you could develop your strictly platonic relationships with your various support cast.

Considering the asexual nature of Illithid reproduction, and that they're going to be a substantial part of the plot if the teaser is any indication, I don't really see much in the way of romance going on. But I would expect a great deal of team-building and platonic camaraderie. Which, yanno, would be nice to have a dude and a chick having a platonic but deep friendship in a game where either they weren't compatible due to gender preference from either party or weren't so focused on the violence that it effectively WAS a (very twisted) romantic, just not erotic, relationship.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

The latest Pathfinder game which is set in 3.P (if the name didn't give it away) and thus D&D related, didn't have any actual romance either, although again you could develop your strictly platonic relationships with your various support cast.
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker absolutely has romances, including NPCs who pursue you instead of the other way around as is usual.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker absolutely has romances, including NPCs who pursue you instead of the other way around as is usual.
    I stand corrected, then.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    I have no idea what Budapest means in this context...
    It's a reference to Avengers. The context is, Black Widow and Hawkeye are fighting for their lives against an alien invasion, and BW says "Just like Budapest all over again!" in which Hawkeye responds, "You and I remember Budapest very differently."

Anyway, is anyone else tempted to replay the old BG games? I have to admit I am, despite the fact I don't really have time right now.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    It's a reference to Avengers. The context is, Black Widow and Hawkeye are fighting for their lives against an alien invasion, and BW says "Just like Budapest all over again!" in which Hawkeye responds, "You and I remember Budapest very differently."
    Ah, that makes sense. To paraphrase Cap, I did not understand that reference.
    Anyway, is anyone else tempted to replay the old BG games? I have to admit I am, despite the fact I don't really have time right now.
    Considering the longevity through mods - all the time. Now moreso, although the content of my posts on the subject betrays an addiction.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

I have many fond memories of Baldur's Gate, but I prefer to let them stay memories now. My tolerance for AD&D 2E and any modifications thereof has dropped sharply over the years. I'll just wait for BG3 to come out and see what it's like.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-06-14 at 05:57 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Ooh, possibly interesting... Not having played it yet (I'm so damn patient, I waited until PoE2 5.0 was out (and I kickstarted that game) and I'm still not through that yet, so I've not started PF:K yet.

Kind of disappointed with PoE 2 in that respect, since it was little more than "do Xoti's quest (which is REALLy eays to do early), sex happens, never brought up again except shutting down Maia1 and Tekehu." Unless it gets brought up later in the endgame or something. I only care about the romances as an aspect of character interaction (the idea being that it SHOULD instigate more interaction with said character, though sadly, this isn't often the case), so it abruptly stopping like the banging was the reward irritates me.

For all the flack ME 1 through 3 gets for the way it handles it, I was satisfied with the way it panned out with Liara (and the desperation-fling with Garrus in 2 when Liara distanced herself before the suicide mission, which Garrus was a total bro about in 32). But of course, you kind of need the same set of characters following on through three games to get that.

Dang it, Mark Hall, I was just gonna bring up Return of the Caped Crusaders and Batman Vrs Two-Face!

1Apparently on both me and Xoti - if I'd have known that, I might have left 'em alone just out of the sheer novelty of watching two companions have a romance.

2Garrus gets the prize of "best companion in any RPG."
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-06-14 at 06:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Ooh, possibly interesting... Not having played it yet (I'm so damn patient, I waited until PoE2 5.0 was out (and I kickstarted that game) and I'm still not through that yet, so I've not started PF:K yet.

Kind of disappointed with PoE 2 in that respect, since it was little more than "do Xoti's quest (which is REALLy eays to do early), sex happens, never brought up again except shutting down Maia1 and Tekehu." Unless it gets brought up later in the endgame or something. I only care about the romances as an aspect of character interaction (the idea being that it SHOULD instigate more interaction with said character, though sadly, this isn't often the case), so it abruptly stopping like the banging was the reward irritates me.

For all the flack ME 1 through 3 gets for the way it handles it, I was satisfied with the way it panned out with Liara (and the desperation-fling with Garrus in 2 when Liara distanced herself before the suicide mission, which Garrus was a total bro about in 32). But of course, you kind of need the same set of characters following on through three games to get that.

Dang it, Mark Hall, I was just gonna bring up Return of the Caped Crusaders and Batman Vrs Two-Face!

1Apparently on both me and Xoti - if I'd have known that, I might have left 'em alone just out of the sheer novelty of watching two companions have a romance.

Xoti can try for a romance with Eder too, but its a little bit difficult because Eder is uncomfortable with romance period, and thus is prone to accidentally offend Xoti.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #386

I've been toying with it. But I don't know if I'm able to play anything but a Bard, and I've already beaten it as a bard.
    The Cranky Gamer

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Tempted to ... replay? Who ever stopped?

*he says as he glances at his iPad which has the enhanced editions and his PC, too*

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

A rebel illithid companion could make a lot of sense if its an alhoon.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

29. - Top - End - #389
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Considering the asexual nature of Illithid reproduction, and that they're going to be a substantial part of the plot if the teaser is any indication, I don't really see much in the way of romance going on. But I would expect a great deal of team-building and platonic camaraderie. Which, yanno, would be nice to have a dude and a chick having a platonic but deep friendship in a game where either they weren't compatible due to gender preference from either party or weren't so focused on the violence that it effectively WAS a (very twisted) romantic, just not erotic, relationship.
    They’re almost certainly going to be the villains though, so the illithid approach to reproduction has little bearing on what the PC and their companions get up to. Though I agree that deep platonic relationships would be a nice development.

What I really want from any relationship features in an rpg is the ability to develop deep relationships with each companion. Some will be romantic, some will be platonic, but all should be equally fleshed out, and I’d much prefer there to not be a default conflict of ‘choose between them’, unless a need for an exclusive relationship is inherent to the companion or chosen by the player.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Oh come on, how come anyone can surpass the one and only Anomen?