Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142
Results 1,231 to 1,247 of 1247
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    thanks to youtube delivering a George Carlin video on ‚soft language‘ just two days ago I know what ‚bathroom tissue‘ really is...
    I googled to make sure I understood correctly. Is that a thing? Are we back to not calling it toilet paper?
    Last edited by Iruka; 2020-01-28 at 04:09 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~

Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Bubbles has not yet succumbed to the Bostonian accent. While the rest of the cast are grunting, mumbling, banging rocks together and proverbially dragging their knuckles through the dictionary like savages, she alone knows an adjective other than 'wicked'. Please do not mock her, she has precious little time left.

The dialogue in which I am in two minds, however, is between Claire and Faye. On the one hand, look at Claire's growth - she used to be afraid to tell anyone that she was trans in case they reacted in shock or disgust and it was big event for her to tell Marten. Now it's just casual conversation, and that's awesome.

On the other hand... Man, that was clunky. It reads less like a real conversation, and more like Jeph had suddenly realised that he had never established it between Claire and Faye so he just kind of threw it in there. Making transgenderism open, accepted and unremarkable is great, but at least give it a little more gravitas than a poop/butts joke?
    You don't know what it was like.
    You weren't there.
    You never fought in the Console Wars.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ettin in the Playground

Wonder if Jeph knows that trans women often have period symptoms. As a few of my friends have described it, they get everything but the bleeding.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

4. - Top - End - #1234

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    I googled to make sure I understood correctly. Is that a thing? Are we back to not calling it toilet paper?
    have you read yesterday’s comic?
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

5. - Top - End - #1235

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    have you read yesterday’s comic?
    Yes, that is why I am asking.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~

Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground

If you can't see any threads outside your subscriptions that have updates, that's because the forum doesn't display threads for you that haven't gotten activity in...however long you set it for. The forum default is something like 50 days, or so, but you can set it anywhere from "1 day" to "forever". I have it set to "forever" cuz I like trawling through the archives several hundred pages back to find stuff I replied to way back when.

At least temporarily, I'd probably recommend to most people that they go into their settings and change that paticular setting to something a bit higher than the forum default. Path is "Settings-->General Settings-->Default Thread Age Cut Off".
    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Pixie in the Playground

The comic has been remarkably without any controversy in the past weeks; nobody whined about anything.

EVEN WHEN RENE WAS THERE

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    The comic has been remarkably without any controversy in the past weeks; nobody whined about anything.

EVEN WHEN RENE WAS THERE
    Oh there was an attempt to bash Renee on another forum I frequent, but logic prevailed by the next post.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

9. - Top - End - #1239

RogueGuy

I still don't quite understand how it's logical to empathize with someone who admits to stealing from her parents for cig money.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    I still don't quite understand how it's logical to empathize with someone who admits to stealing from her parents for cig money.
    So you were an utter saint as a child/teen who never did anything wrong? Or are you confusing empathy with approval? The point was fairly clear, she was sharing behavior she had done as a teen that wasnt exactly good, to show that he wasnt anything unusual for having events in his past he wasnt proud of as everyone does messed up stuff, and that it doesnt make you a jerk now automatically.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not a fan of Renee, but the only thing she's done in the forum down-time that even remotely ruffled my feathers was bringing up that she has a crush on Elliot. But that's part of an ongoing thing with them, and honestly it's one of the subtler anvils in the strip so definitely don't wanna discourage that.
    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So you were an utter saint as a child/teen who never did anything wrong?
    Yes, this. Super "Wait, what?" moment there. When someone starts with "I still don't quite understand how it's logical to empathize with someone who" I expect rape or murder to follow, not "stole from parents to buy clove cigarettes, as a teenager."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

13. - Top - End - #1243

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So you were an utter saint as a child/teen who never did anything wrong? Or are you confusing empathy with approval? The point was fairly clear, she was sharing behavior she had done as a teen that wasnt exactly good, to show that he wasnt anything unusual for having events in his past he wasnt proud of as everyone does messed up stuff, and that it doesnt make you a jerk now automatically.
    Of course I wasn't a perfect kid growing up, don't muddle the conversation here. I find it difficult to compare Elliot's apparent "misdeeds" to Renee's thievery. Also, the concept of "Even if you were a jerk in the past doesn't make you one in the present" is certainly undercut by the history of Renee... being exactly that over the course of the comic.

14. - Top - End - #1244

[...] , the concept of "Even if you were a jerk in the past doesn't make you one in the present" is certainly undercut by the history of Renee... being exactly that over the course of the comic.
    her words are „bad person“, which is a bit different.
    also: wishful thinking and self awareness don’t mix well.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Of course I wasn't a perfect kid growing up, don't muddle the conversation here. I find it difficult to compare Elliot's apparent "misdeeds" to Renee's thievery. Also, the concept of "Even if you were a jerk in the past doesn't make you one in the present" is certainly undercut by the history of Renee... being exactly that over the course of the comic.
    In fact you can argue that being a bully is in the long run much worse than stealing some money from your mother in the long run. Since it can severely impact someone's self esteem for years to come.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Colossus in the Playground

Okay, at this point, I think what's going on is that you hate Renee enough that any evidence against her might as well be evidence of rape or murder. Which doesn't really make the letter of what you said any less horrific, but it does at least make it less likely that you actually apply those Javertesque standards.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

17. - Top - End - #1247

RogueGuy

How did we come up with the comparison that "thievery" = "RAPE AND/OR MURDER" in my mind in the first place? I was looking for an actual answer instead of a strawman argument that put words into my mouth. I'm willing to concede that my original rhetorical question was poorly worded, but did it really warrant the followup statements calling my character into question?

Cmon, guys/girls. Aren't we supposed to be better than this?
    Last edited by Yana; Today at 09:21 PM.