New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Faye, that appears to be a foot. Learn some organization skills.
    Also, don't just throw feet around, youre going to trip on it, and you've already met your limit for hospital visits this decade.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Gotta say i'm disappointed Jeph. This was the perfect opportunity to show a box with "Butts" on it, and it containing just that. And you blew it.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ah, here it is. The "response to people bringing up problematic implications" page. I was waiting for this one. It's like clockwork.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2019-07-25 at 11:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

Were you expecting the first thing after Hanners came back and said she was doing better, to be her social circle to immediately question whether she''s actually doing better? I know when I haven't seen someone in a while, my first instinct is to be happy at seeing them again, not to question the basis for them returning.

This feels less like a response to criticism to me, and more like the natural progression of things. It's even coming from the mouth of the other character we know has struggled with a mind not always under their control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

5. - Top - End - #515
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Agreed. If this is some sort of author-response to criticism, he's presented it at a logical time and in a sensible way that it doesn't feel jarring the way some other Very Special Comics have.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

As I've said before, I'm a fellow OCD sufferer and I don't find this particularly problematic.

I can't say there's a consensus here, but a few people who are also neurodivergent and have anxiety issues in this thread have said that we don't find this depiction problematic and think it's actually reasonably realistic and pretty good.

I'd rather see a character with OCD make progress over time than them stay crippled by it.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ettin in the Playground

And Also theres the part where the "problematic implications" were really just exaggerations of what was actually happening. Like. Just the thought of seeing "character with anxieties has learned a coping mechanism by effectuvely putting herself through a fascimilie of a form of therapy that is actually used" and equating it to "charaacter with anxiety is cured of their anxiety" would be laughable if it didn't show how little people actually understand about mental disorders.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-07-26 at 03:20 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Ah, here it is. The "response to people bringing up problematic implications" page. I was waiting for this one. It's like clockwork.
    In the same way that a good lecturer will know how many points they can make before circling back to address the thoughts people will have been wondering about regarding point #1, yes it was predictable. Pretty well timed, too.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2019-07-26 at 08:45 AM.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

I find Jeph's handling of "ISSUES" often ham-handed and full of metro-trendy "holier than thou" preaching... but today's page doesn't feel at all unnatural beyond the sit-com joke setup itself.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-07-26 at 09:54 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I find Jeph's handling of "ISSUES" often ham-handed and full of metro-trendy "holier than thou" preaching... but today's page doesn't feel at all unnatural beyond the sit-com joke setup itself.
    This is very similar to what I was starting to think about today's strip. Hanners spending time to specifically spend confronting her anxieties and finding new, healthier ways to cope with them in order to lead a more rounded life, without the instant miracle cure of eradicating them entirely, is entirely plausible.

With the benefit of hindsight, her wackier behaviours - essentially a gallery of her self-harming for "humourous" effect - were the strips that we should have been referring to as exploitative. Realistic, in some peoples' cases perhaps, but in general exaggerations, and applying that to mental illness for a joke should be far more problematic than Hanners spending time getting her life together with the support of her friends.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-07-26 at 10:11 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    This is very similar to what I was starting to think about today's strip. Hanners spending time to specifically spend confronting her anxieties and finding new, healthier ways to cope with them in order to lead a more rounded life, without the instant miracle cure of eradicating them entirely, is entirely plausible.

With the benefit of hindsight, her wackier behaviours - essentially a gallery of her self-harming for "humourous" effect - were the strips that we should have been referring to as exploitative. Realistic, in some peoples' cases perhaps, but in general exaggerations, and applying that to mental illness for a joke should be far more problematic than Hanners spending time getting her life together with the support of her friends.
    I think there are times when Jeph's not trying to tell a joke, but because it comes between two jokes, there's a bit of whiplash.

And there are other times when Jeph is trying to do self-effacing humor through his characters, but from this side of the screen it just comes across as being mean to his own characters.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Colossus in the Playground

Remember the comic where she was cleaning the ceiling by using suction cups to cling to the top? I think that was around the time when she was at her most frazzled/deranged and her ocd/anxiety was being treated as an easy excuse for punchlines.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #523

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Remember the comic where she was cleaning the ceiling by using suction cups to cling to the top? I think that was around the time when she was at her most frazzled/deranged and her ocd/anxiety was being treated as an easy excuse for punchlines.
    Remember that time the entire comic was 4 panels of Hannelore brushing her teeth over and over until her mouth was full of blood? And then resignedly reaching for the dental floss, implying that she was going to continue hurting herself and was fully aware of the futility of her actions?

At least I... think... that was a punchline?

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

Remember that time the entire comic was 4 panels of Hannelore brushing her teeth over and over until her mouth was full of blood? And then resignedly reaching for the dental floss, implying that she was going to continue hurting herself and was fully aware of the futility of her actions?

At least I... think... that was a punchline?
    I may have blanked that out... do you recall about when that was ?

15. - Top - End - #525

Griffon

I tell a small, unintentional lie - it was 8 panels.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

I tell a small, unintentional lie - it was 8 panels.
    I don't think that was being played for comedy... Now, the ice cubes on the next page, those were meant to be funny.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2019-07-26 at 05:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

17. - Top - End - #527

I got more of a feeling of tenderness from that page, because it was showing a weakness in everyday life that was representative of something larger in Hannelore.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    I don't think that was being played for comedy... Now, the ice cubes on the next page, those were meant to be funny.
    Yeah, I don't see any punchline or ha-ha in the brushing teeth strip... seems more poignant that poking fun.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a lot of Hannerlore humour in the earlier strips, but I'd never found them particularly exploitative. A lot of it was "oh ****, that's exactly how it is, this is funny, this guy gets it!". The strip about the rapping penis telling her to kill her friends, for example... that's obviously exaggerated but it's one of the few times I've seen someone actually look at the intrusive thoughts that come as a result of OCD without boiling it down to "lel he washes his hands a lot!"
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

I, too, am not going to tell you how to run your business, Faye. I'll just tell you how anyone with the sense God gave gravel would run your business, and that is by NOT CONSOLIDATING BALL BEARINGS TO SAVE SPACE.

That is all.

21. - Top - End - #531

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    I, too, am not going to tell you how to run your business, Faye. I'll just tell you how anyone with the sense God gave gravel would run your business, and that is by NOT CONSOLIDATING BALL BEARINGS TO SAVE SPACE.

That is all.
    I think she did it on purpose to give something to do to Hanners

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

That is all.
    Over the years, I think, we've seen Faye demonstrate that her amount of "sense" is quite variable, and does not always exceed that of gravel.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Barbarian in the Playground

Huh, artshift again? Or is it just my eyes?
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

A music joke in Questionable Contnent? How unnatural!

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Am I just unusually drunk tonight, or is the art tonigh particularly angular and unsettling?

26. - Top - End - #536

Griffon

I think that the colour looks a little bit washed out - Claire and Hannelore are definitely a shade or two paler than they were last week.

As for angular.... I can see that. It's subtle, but especially around Marten's jaw, he's gone from squared off to actually square with pointed corners, more like Dale.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

On Pateron, Jeph mentioned that he is experimenting with the art style again.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

28. - Top - End - #538
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

That is all.
    Like you've never had an idea that made total sense inside your head, only for the glaring flaws to blossom forth after 5 seconds of exposure to the outside world. That panel might be the first time she ever said it out loud. Interesting fact, saying things you are thinking forces your brain to re-evaluate them as it treats the sound from your voice as new info and processes it like anything else it hears, that's why "It made sense in my head" is such a common occurrence.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

29. - Top - End - #539

Griffon

To be fair, there is context that we're not being told in the comic.

Let's say you buy 2,000 BB's of one size, 2,000 of another, and 2,000 of a third and store them in the same bucket. If you only use 5 BB's a week, it's going to be 15 years before it makes even the slightest bit of difference to you, compared to the shelf space which you might be using hourly?

I mean, I wouldn't do that. I'd just put up another shelf, because I'm not a maniac. But there are people who think this way; they walk around among us, free and at liberty to do these things unimpeded.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Let's say you buy 2,000 BB's of one size, 2,000 of another, and 2,000 of a third and store them in the same bucket. If you only use 5 BB's a week, it's going to be 15 years before it makes even the slightest bit of difference to you, compared to the shelf space which you might be using hourly?
    It's going to waste time on every job that use one because you know have 2/3 chance of not getting the size you want at random and have to sort them by hand every time you pick one. And then there's inventory.
    Plus considering the way ball bearings are stored (form-fitting like a liquid), it doesn't take more shelf space if you use the right shape of containers.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.