New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

I know people are looking for Watsonian explanation, and throwing a Doylist one in is kinda pointless, but I'm just going to point out that Faye being 'Sitcom stupid/foolish'). By that I mean that the actual ramifications or consequences of her actions aren't as important as how hilarious they are. Think of all the times that Coach/Woody from Cheers or Joey/Phoebe from Friends did something dumb and it was hilarious, and then you thought about it for a second and realized, 'no, wait, someone who would make that mistake would have ended up in jail or the morgue years ago,' or, 'how did they get that there without someone already having pointed out to them the insanity of it on the way?' or the like. Faye is being telegraphed as somewhat shortsighted, not thinking things through, and definitely the lesser competence member of the shop, but she's not supposed to be either 1) full on moronic, or 2) full on childlike. So I just chalk this one up to 'it's not quite as stupid in a sitcom, where it is resolved in an off-camera resolution and only existed to further the discussion of Hanner's OCD.'

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    It's going to waste time on every job that use one because you know have 2/3 chance of not getting the size you want at random and have to sort them by hand every time you pick one. And then there's inventory.
    Plus considering the way ball bearings are stored (form-fitting like a liquid), it doesn't take more shelf space if you use the right shape of containers.
    True, but IRL I have a coffee can of mismatched screws on my workbench specifically because it has not been worthwhile for me to get and organize the right amount of right-shaped containers, and the time lost on my rather infrequent screw searches* has been insufficient motivation to change things.
    *there's a bad joke waiting to happen.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2019-07-30 at 07:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

It's going to waste time on every job that use one because you know have 2/3 chance of not getting the size you want at random and have to sort them by hand every time you pick one. And then there's inventory.
    Plus considering the way ball bearings are stored (form-fitting like a liquid), it doesn't take more shelf space if you use the right shape of containers.
    Please don't be mistaken into thinking that I was being serious. That whole paragraph that you quoted was just the facetious setup to the last sentence, wherein I refer to people who think that way - ie, I'm referring to Faye - as maniacs.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-07-30 at 07:12 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #543
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, if there is a significant difference in ball bearing sizes it wont exactly be hard to grab the one you actually need. As a random figure 1/4, 1/2, 1" bearings all tossed together, you arent going to be wasting much time trying to tell them apart now are you? They will be visually very different from each other on a casual glance. Now if we are talking tiny fractions of an inch in differences, where its not visibly clear whats what, then yeah, having them together is a bad idea. Or if there are a LOT of different sizes, like 5+ ones it would also be confusing.
    Last edited by Traab; 2019-07-30 at 08:29 AM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, he's definitely playing with the art style again.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I mean, if there is a significant difference in ball bearing sizes it wont exactly be hard to grab the one you actually need.
    Looking at the jar, the size difference looks like it might be on the fraction of the mm scale...
    GNU Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

One method to sort small spherical objects -- you create a series of trays with holes big enough to let one size through, but not the next size up. Biggest holes tray at the top, in order from there down, tray with no holes at the bottom. Keep pouring them through and shaking, pull out the objects that stop falling through as sorted by the tray where they stopped.

As for the new art, Marten looks about 12 in the bottom panel today.

I miss the art from around the time Hanners first appeared.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

7. - Top - End - #547

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    Looking at the jar, the size difference looks like it might be on the fraction of the mm scale...
    Maybe Bubbles was trying to gaslight her, and all the balls are the same size.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #548

I don't get today's comic. Who is Cosmo?

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I don't get today's comic. Who is Cosmo?
    Pointy-dog.

10. - Top - End - #550

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Pointy-dog.
    Sleeping dogs

Right. Thanks a lot. Got it.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Don't feel bad, I have no idea why Marten was wearing a shirt with the name "Carly Ray something" on it.

Indie singer or band?
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-07-31 at 09:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

Carly Rae Jepsen sang "Call me Maybe." Was a bit of a hit a few years back. Occasionally still used as a meme today.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-07-31 at 09:39 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

13. - Top - End - #553

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Carly Rae Jepsen sang "Call me Maybe." Was a bit of a hit a few years back. Occasionally still used as a meme today.
    The word meme implies people repeat it.

I cast doubt on that assertion.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    The word meme implies people repeat it.

I cast doubt on that assertion.
    Well what I mean is that the song itself has gone the way of "Never Gonna Give You Up" and "Africa" in that even though (or maybe because) it absolutely slaps, it tends to be referenced for the sake of referencing it. As in, the reference is something of a joke.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Do not dis Toto.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ettin in the Playground

Pointy-dog.
    I still don't quite get it. What's the connection between dogs and medical waste?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ettin in the Playground

Do not dis Toto.
    I'm not. I'm just pointing out that the song is in this weird limbo of being enjoyed ironically at some times and unironically at others

18. - Top - End - #558
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    I still don't quite get it. What's the connection between dogs and medical waste?
    There's no immediate connection. She just picked the most odious, useless and dangerous thing she could think of off-hand to compare her father to.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    I'm not. I'm just pointing out that the song is in this weird limbo of being enjoyed ironically at some times and unironically at others
    Some of us old(er) fogies might be confused by your use of "slaps" to describe the songs. Evidently that means they are good.
    Last edited by geoduck; 2019-08-01 at 12:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    The idiom is "let sleeping dogs lie". She likes Cosmo, so doesn't want to compare her father to a dog.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    There's no immediate connection. She just picked the most odious, useless and dangerous thing she could think of off-hand to compare her father to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    The idiom is "let sleeping dogs lie". She likes Cosmo, so doesn't want to compare her father to a dog.
    I see. I guess that makes sense. I'm not sure whether that was meant to be funny, but I fail to see it as such.

Though perhaps that says more about my sense of humor than about Jeph's ability to tell a joke.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

21. - Top - End - #561

Griffon

In your defence, it's not much of a joke if it takes an entire panel AND the subtitle to explain the punchline and someone still doesn't get it.

So long as you understand that Claire doesn't like her father, that's really all you need to take away from today's comic...

...which inevitably means he's coincidentally due to appear in a comic at some point in the near future, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-08-01 at 02:41 AM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    In your defence, it's not much of a joke if it takes an entire panel AND the subtitle to explain the punchline and someone still doesn't get it.

So long as you understand that Claire doesn't like her father, that's really all you need to take away from today's comic...

...which inevitably means he's coincidentally due to appear in a comic at some point in the near future, I'm sure.
    I say he's waiting inside the apartment

23. - Top - End - #563

Griffon

Randy Milholland (Something*Positive) made that same joke. One of his characters was discussing his negligent father:

Character: "...So no, I can't say that I miss him."
    *Knock at the door*
    Character: "In fact, I'm glad he's gone and that I'll never have to see him again."
    *Opens the door*
    "Hi, son! It's me, your Dad! How about a hug?"

I only bring it up because Randy and Jeph are good friends, and they've shared similar plot lines like that in the past.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think if he made his eyes a little less circular and stopped drawing chins that you could split a log with, i'd be happy with this current style he has going. Its a little closer to some of his older stuff. Momo, of course, can stay Anime.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #565

Wow. The comic must be awesome if nobody is whining about it!! 😁

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

This almost feels like he had this planned in some way since the weird girl first appeared.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

For those of you wondering : yes, moose are large ungulates.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2019-08-07 at 01:36 AM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

For those of you wondering : yes, moose are large ungulates.
    Isn't that a reindeer?

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I clearly remember QC naming the moose specie at some point, but I might confuse it with some other incident.
    But in any case, reindeer also are large ungulates.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Pixie in the Playground

I clearly remember QC naming the moose specie at some point, but I might confuse it with some other incident.
    But in any case, reindeer also are large ungulates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Isn't that a reindeer? https://hu.flatfy.com/
    I always thought it to be a reindeer too but might be wrong. Not much difference though :)
    Last edited by kovacsszandra; 2019-08-17 at 05:02 PM.