New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

It definitely looks like a reindeer. First, it's small, second, the horns.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #572

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

It was a reindeer the first time we met it, as Fairy Girl was dressed like a Christmas Fairy and it was snowing out. His name is Jangles the Reindeer.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #573
    Colossus in the Playground

Poor winslow, I hope this isnt the start of some sort of drama for him. He seems to be having a struggle to deal with everything he went through with hannelore. I wonder if this will bring up something like, "You were so busy trying to put yourself into all those situations you didnt even see how much I HATED being there myself!" So now winslow is the one with a complex.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

I just now noticed that the reindeer/moose/moodeer is standing on a pair of hoverboards.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    I just now noticed that the reindeer/moose/moodeer is standing on a pair of hoverboards.
    Yeah, he and the Fairy have been practicing.

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3887

Also, silly Winslow. There will always be strange people. And sometimes ungulates. Look; there's a whole herd of giraffes off-panel to your left.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Isn't that a reindeer?
    The american name for reindeer is caribou. Mind you, the american name for elk is moose, and the american name for red deer is elk or wapiti.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    The american name for reindeer is caribou. Mind you, the american name for elk is moose, and the american name for red deer is elk or wapiti.
    Caribou, moose, and wapiti all originate as derivatives of indigenous North American languages.

The wapiti / North American elk is only superficially similar to the red dear of Eurasia.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-08-07 at 09:56 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looked it up real quick, because that didn't sound right. According to wikipedia, at least, British English uses the same word for two different creatures.

They are visually distinct:
    Spoiler: Elk(Cervus canadensis)
    Show

Spoiler: Moose(Alces alces)
    Show

Also, reindeer/caribou and red deer just cuz I wanna post more ungulate pictures:

Spoiler: Reindeer/Caribou(Rangifer tarandus)
    Show

Spoiler: Red Deer(Cervus elaphus)
    Show
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-08-07 at 10:22 AM.

Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Looked it up real quick, because that didn't sound right. According to wikipedia, at least, British English uses the same word for two different creatures.

They are visually distinct:
    Spoiler: Elk(Cervus canadensis)
    Show

Spoiler: Moose(Alces alces)
    Show

Also, reindeer/caribou and red deer just cuz I wanna post more ungulate pictures:

Spoiler: Reindeer/Caribou(Rangifer tarandus)
    Show

Spoiler: Red Deer(Cervus elaphus)
    Show
    Also, Moose are flipping gigantic. The size alone is a big clue that they're different things.

Spoiler: Size Comparison Chart
    Show

Spoiler: Bonus running gif
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

They're large ungulates. All of them. Winslow is screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Spoiler: Bonus running gif
    Show
    ...I'm going to call that a snowshark. You can't stop me.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

11. - Top - End - #581

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post

Implying that we'd try to stop you.

Snowshark is great

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post

That's fair. I am more scared of moose than of Grizzly Bears. The bears are way more reasonable creatures.

13. - Top - End - #583

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    That's fair. I am more scared of moose than of Grizzly Bears. The bears are way more reasonable creatures.
    Yup. If you spook a bear, it'll probably run away unless you're between it and its cub. If you spook a moose, their reaction is to charge.

Fortunately, a moose's charge is more of a scare tactic. If you run, they usually won't chase you far.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

Yup. If you spook a bear, it'll probably run away unless you're between it and its cub. If you spook a moose, their reaction is to charge.

Fortunately, a moose's charge is more of a scare tactic. If you run, they usually won't chase you far.
    In the video this gif comes from, you can see this is what the moose is doing. It's slow until it gets close to the hiking group with the camera, charges to go all "RAWR I'M A MOOSE STAY AWAY" and slows down again after it's past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

15. - Top - End - #585
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Elephants have a similar behavior, IIRC. I wonder if it's something inherent to the 'extremely large herbivore' behavioral pattern.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    In the video this gif comes from, you can see this is what the moose is doing. It's slow until it gets close to the hiking group with the camera, charges to go all "RAWR I'M A MOOSE STAY AWAY" and slows down again after it's past.
    I don't believe you. That snowshark is circling it's prey. We just don't have the full footage because of the inevitable and deadly attack that followed.

Just like in today's comic.
    *Jaws theme intensifies*
    -reindeer lick-
    Utterly terrifying.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2019-08-07 at 12:31 PM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Elephants have a similar behavior, IIRC. I wonder if it's something inherent to the 'extremely large herbivore' behavioral pattern.
    Probably. Large animals, as a rule, don't like to full out run if they can help it, because physics says that running is bad for everybody involved. Theyre only going to do it in circumstances where theyre in control, because otherwise gravity and newton's laws will be ganging up on them to try and mess up their entire week. An elephant that trips and lands on its face, for example, suddenly has most of the weight of an elephant pressing on its face. So a large running animal is basically shouting "raa, im big and squish things, you better watch out."
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose

The moose (North America) or elk (Eurasia), Alces alces,
    Britain is of Eurasia.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

19. - Top - End - #589

I am aware. I was just pointing out that your term can lead to confusion, because when an American says 'elk' they mean Cervus canadensis, while a British person saying elk could be referring to either Cervus canadensis or Alces alces, which is an important distinction that needs to be made for this particular conversation.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm assuming it was the reindeer who actually explained to Faye and Bubbles what had happened.

(I know we've seen the Fairy speak in actual non-song-note sentences before, but that was back when she didn't have the reindeer along to interpret.)

21. - Top - End - #591

The only person she's ever spoken normally to is Emily, presumably because the comic follows Conservation of Weirdness (in any one strip, the weirdest character causes other characters present to act more normally).

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

True. For that matter, in every panel where the Fairy used actual words, she and Emily were alone on panel. I wonder if Emily was the only one who heard intelligible speech, while just off-panel, Claire was hearing "🎵 la li lu le lo 🎶"...

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Semi-related to the whole large ungulates discussion: Elk stew is freaking DELICIOUS. Got a chance to try some on vacation in Canada, and I highly recommend it. If you're in Cajun country, deer sausage jambalaya is the way to go.

No idea how reindeer tastes, but I assume it's similar?

*This post brought to you by the "Rodin has not had lunch yet" department*

24. - Top - End - #594

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Semi-related to the whole large ungulates discussion: Elk stew is freaking DELICIOUS. Got a chance to try some on vacation in Canada, and I highly recommend it. If you're in Cajun country, deer sausage jambalaya is the way to go.

No idea how reindeer tastes, but I assume it's similar?

*This post brought to you by the "Rodin has not had lunch yet" department*
    What do you mean, an African or a European elk?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    What do you mean, an African or a European elk?
    It wasn't carrying any coconuts but it didn't like the color blue either, so I assume it was native Canadian.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Colossus in the Playground

I love venison, deer is just so freaking delicious and different from standard meat. I havent had the chance to try the really big game stuff yet, though bear is nice. I do love ho wa single elk could provide enough meat to keep like 3 households happy for a year. My step dad shot a wild boar and ended up giving away a decent amount because there was no way he and his wife could eat it all.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The only person she's ever spoken normally to is Emily, presumably because the comic follows Conservation of Weirdness (in any one strip, the weirdest character causes other characters present to act more normally).
    You are saying that Emily is more weird than (wannabe?) fairy with an elk/raindeer.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

...I cannot figure whether I agree or disagree with you, if that is the case.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

28. - Top - End - #598

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    You are saying that Emily is more weird than (wannabe?) fairy with an elk/raindeer.

Exactly. Emily is the ur-weird.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post

Look at it this way. If you were to tell me that the reason Northampton is the weirdest town ever is because the Hoverboard Fairy lives there, or Hanners, or Corpse Witch, or Spookybot or Melon or Steve, I'd say you were confusing symptoms with causes. If you were to say it's because Raven lives there, I'd consider the idea. Maybe she hails from a normal universe, but created a weird fractured parallel, with Northampton as its epicenter?

If you were to tell me it's because Emily lives there, I'd understand. Her code overwrote reality, or summoned an Eldritch horror that broke everyone's minds, or they're all living in a simulation she wrote. Whatever the hell happened, Emily is my number one suspect. Bring her offerings of green peppers and margaritas, and pray to whatever gods may be that her code never segfaults.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Barbarian in the Playground

If that's just used for making coffee, and is used with at least mild regularity, it's safe. Boiling water and coffee stains aren't really the best medium for bacterial growth.

On the other hand, if they somehow are doing something with it that are promoting bacterial growth, then leaving it unwashed is likely a massive health code violation that should see the entirely shop closed and Dora fined into bankruptcy.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.