New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Couldn't you have done it in a better way?
    This is May we're talking about. You know the answer to that question

Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Couldn't you have done it in a better way?
    Yes in the "possibility" sense, but no in the "capability" sense.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Wait a minute...
    That teen as vertical pupils ! It's a snake person ! Illuminati confirmed !
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Wait a minute...
    That teen as vertical pupils ! It's a snake person ! Illuminati confirmed !
    Nah, it's just all the chemicals in the vape.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Yes in the "possibility" sense, but no in the "capability" sense.
    She is evolving. Because she feels guilty.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

joining a charity organisation for the sole purpose of spending time with a love interest of yours is a recipe for disaster,
    Oh, like in that Phineas & Ferb episode "Spa Day", in which Candace tries to do construction work to impress Jeremy, and even pretends to enjoy it and forces her friend Stacey to join? You're right, it's a pretty bad idea.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

So branch out, Sam. Draw snakes on the robots too. And then draw skulls on the drawings of snakes. Your clients will look awesome, and it's free resume padding.

8. - Top - End - #638

AssassinGuy

Snakes on a Robot

sounds like the title of a really bad movie.
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2019-08-26 at 12:22 AM.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    Snakes on a Robot

sounds like the title of a really bad movie.
    To you and me, yeah. But Sam would watch it five times.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Re #4076, May will be so angry if Union Robotics can give Sam a summer internship job.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Re #4076, May will be so angry if Union Robotics can give Sam a summer internship job.
    I wasn't aware that May was any good drawing skulls on robots.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah yeah, new employee hazing... :D

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

That's a terrible idea. They just gave Sam a strong incentive to just throw in the trash whatever she finds laying around, including important stuff.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

That's a terrible idea. They just gave Sam a strong incentive to just throw in the trash whatever she finds laying around, including important stuff.
    Pranking people with no regard for long term consequences is very in character for Faye. Seems to be rubbing on Bubbles too.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Ah yeah, new employee hazing... :D
    Sam wanted to play with a bandsaw and a pillar drill, but cannot recognise something as innocuous as a bent piece of metal with some holes in it.

This isn't hazing as such; it's just some good, old-fashioned sarcasm.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

16. - Top - End - #646
    Colossus in the Playground

I get the feeling this isnt going to end well. Like, Sam is going to get really upset and its probably going to be the first real conflict for her and faye. Mainly because faye and bubbles wont know when to stop messing with the little kid who doesnt have the emotional maturity of an adult to handle this sort of thing
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #647

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hackman View Post
    Pranking people with no regard for long term consequences is very in character for Faye. Seems to be rubbing on Bubbles too.
    yeah, totally in-character and absolutely unfunny.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

18. - Top - End - #648
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    yeah, totally in-character and absolutely unfunny.
    The initial joke was funny, keeping it going pushes it past funny and into bullying. Had I been faye or bubbles I would have had her sweep a bit to understand that yeah, some of her job is going to be boring, then probably started teaching her something minor but useful. Let her work her way up to the power tools as she shows control and also shows willingness to do the not fun stuff as well.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The initial joke was funny, keeping it going pushes it past funny and into bullying. Had I been faye or bubbles I would have had her sweep a bit to understand that yeah, some of her job is going to be boring, then probably started teaching her something minor but useful. Let her work her way up to the power tools as she shows control and also shows willingness to do the not fun stuff as well.
    How long, exactly, do you think it takes to sweep a room? That's like an hour's work, maybe two if she gets distracted a lot.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #650
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Yeah, I think people in this thread have a tendency to read too deeply into single pages. Natural tendency when it's all we have to look at for a day, I spose.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So there's an invisible Emu out there that injured an AI's body enough that she can't walk anymore, and their first thought is "Yes lets send the kid out there"?

Ok, I guess to be fair, the Emu might have been captured already and that's when the Doc AI got injured...

22. - Top - End - #652
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Pfff, its not like the fact that a shelf may be weakened or unbalanced would be important anyway. A robot repair shop is not going to be storing anything heavy, dangerous or delicate on shelves after all.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

I get that it seems like you people are here because you hate the comic - and god knows i've had my disagreements with it - but when you look at that comic and go...

"Pranks aren't funny!"
    "Sam's going to be messed up for life by this bullying!"
    "Stupid child doesn't know a shelf bracket when she sees one"
    "What if that shelf was really important, eh?"

...it makes you seem absolutely insane. Are you like this with all comedy? "He is under the impression they were on a break, and she isn't! It's absolutely disgraceful they can't work out their differences like adults." "He says Bazinga when he pranks someone - but that was a very poor prank!" "To get to the other side? What an ill-defined motivation for this chicken!"

24. - Top - End - #654

"He says Bazinga when he pranks someone - but that was a very poor prank!"
    That series humor does tend to be very weak, yes.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    "He says Bazinga when he pranks someone - but that was a very poor prank!"
    That series humor does tend to be very weak, yes.
    Absolutely, no disagreements there, but the joke of "bazinga" is not that sheldon's joke was funny, it's that whatever sheldon did was deliberately obviously not funny, and the writer's joke that we are meant to laugh at is that he finds it funny. You can like stuff or not, but to go "I don't get it. why does he say bazinga. he barely pranked her at all. is he a fool?" is to misunderstand how jokes work?

26. - Top - End - #656

Honestly I only read yesterdays page today and expected something different from the comments too. It sounded like they made her uncomfortable about having to ask or something instead of doing a short fake reaction that isn't likely to upset her.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2019-08-30 at 06:25 AM.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    "What if that shelf was really important, eh?"
    I am an actual Patreon, unlike the majority of fans I actually pay for these comics. And I enjoy them. Mocking a dangerous and outdated workplace practice is part of my enjoyment. Fae and Bubbles are not doing a good job of creating a positive environment for someone who is, essentially, their employee, relying on friendship to cover the gap. Is that a mistake? Yes. Is it in character? For Fae, yes, not so sure about Bubbles as it is part of the military's ethos too after all. Does it harken back to when Fae last mixed business and friendship and got drunk at work? Yes. Could this be going somewhere to help her reflect on her past? Yes. Or it could be just a joke.

I do agree with your general sentiment however. This thread does occasionally remind me of peak Hatedom Domic Deegan threads.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ettin in the Playground

If you think this is bad, come back the next time a character uses the dreaded "p" word.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    ...it makes you seem absolutely insane. Are you like this with all comedy?
    Threads based on analyzing a given thing (particularly a thing which is usually 4-8 panels of content per day) tend to devolve into over-analysis. However, you are very much right, this thread has a significant tendency towards 'never good enough'-ism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Honestly I only read yesterdays page today and expected something different from the comments too. It sounded like they made her uncomfortable about having to ask or something instead of doing a short fake reaction that isn't likely to upset her.
    Yeah, strip #4079 isn't exactly the funniest thing ever, but it is at worst just a filler strip.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    If you think this is bad, come back the next time a character uses the dreaded "p" word.
    Oh, I'm sure this thread has lots of opinions on postdocs (or Jeph having the audacity to make postdoc jokes).

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    So there's an invisible Emu out there that injured an AI's body enough that she can't walk anymore, and their first thought is "Yes lets send the kid out there"?

Ok, I guess to be fair, the Emu might have been captured already and that's when the Doc AI got injured...
    The emu was found already, we saw that several days ago. (And "it got away again" is speculation, if that's where someone is going to go.)

And Fae doesn't know about the emu anyway, I don't think she's going to get "invisible emu wandering around" from a muttered "stupid emu" by the AI.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.