New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    I'm still of the mind that "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" was meant to be a parody. If only because Sir Mix-A-Lot would likely remain coiled at the sight of any of the girls in the music video.
    It is very hard to believe that it is meant seriously. Doesn't help that he reminds me of some comedian.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

2. - Top - End - #782
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Toby keith is the go to guy for good country parody. Trailerhood, red solo cup, dude has that style of song down pretty solid. I bet he could do a good job with the premise.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    I have a feeling that Jeff dislikes the genre of Country as a whole to be honest.

That said, "Did my wife left me or is she wearing realtree" sounds like it could be legitimately good and funny for a self-aware but affectionate parody of the genre. Even could be Jack Black for country if he had any passion for it... :P
    My favorite example of a parody Country song title comes from Who's Line Is It Anyway, when they were asked to come up with "Country Songs You'll Never Hear".

Greg Proops came up with "Ohhhhhhh, my wife stayed true and I'm Sooooooberrrr....."

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

Half of all country song lyrics I hear on the radio amount to:

"My baby done left me up in Tennessee
    Now I'm here in Texas as drunk as I can be.
    My dog done died my truck broke down my boss says I'm a bum.
    Etc"
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-09-26 at 09:23 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post

Etc"
    The other half are about how great their new girlfriend is

Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Etc"
    Well, with the advent of self-driving cars, I'm sure soon enough there will be songs about how 'my tuck done left me up in Tennessee.'
    *pretty sure I heard that one on this site, but I don't know who to credit.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Toby keith is the go to guy for good country parody. Trailerhood, red solo cup, dude has that style of song down pretty solid. I bet he could do a good job with the premise.
    I thought that Toby Keith was a genuine country & western singer, it's just that he's so deep into "the life" that to the rest of us it looks exaggerated and cartoony. Hard to tell the difference, I guess

Definitely something I could see Rodney Carrington doing, though. He's already got a seasonal album called "Camouflage and Christmas Lights", which is exactly what it sounds like...

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck
    *pretty sure I heard that one on this site, but I don't know who to credit.
    Wasn't that Sven already? I'm sure I remember him describing a song about breaking up with his truck.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

8. - Top - End - #788
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If anyone is a country parody singer, I think Brad Paisley might qualify - as highlighted below the comic. He writes perfectly country-styled songs, but his lyrical material is about guys whose wives leave them because they go fishing too much, and overweight nerds who live in their parents' basement and chat with girls on Myspace. He's got plenty of 'serious' material too, admittedly.

On the other hand, the only country song I've ever heard that matches the stereotype 'lost my dog, lost my truck, lost my wife' is by Toby Keith. So it's hard to tell.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-09-26 at 11:07 AM.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

The Austin Lounge Lizards will always do my favorite country-music parodies. "Old Blevins", "Stupid Texas Song", and maybe my Favorite, "The Dogs, They Really Miss You".

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

"Jolene" is pretty country right?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ettin in the Playground

Etc"
    I'll be honest, most of my interaction with country music happens in retail stores, and that specific sub-genre tends to be about Driving, 'Murica, cute girls who are easily impressed, and Ray-Ban sunglasses.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be honest, most of my interaction with country music happens in retail stores, and that specific sub-genre tends to be about Driving, 'Murica, cute girls who are easily impressed, and Ray-Ban sunglasses.
    That's the other half. ;-)
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Dolly Parton is 100% country.

14. - Top - End - #794

If you listened to Carrie Underwood, you'd think all country songs were about angry women getting revenge on their abusive/cheating/scumbag boyfriends/husbands.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Cherlene (Cheryl) from Archer cracks me up.

https://youtu.be/SBObHdXtwiU

(Slightly risque album art.)

16. - Top - End - #796

Also jesus. Sometimes he takes the wheel. And Wraith, Toby is very much so legit country, its just he is so famous and rich off of his music he can toss out songs like red solo cup for fun and still be on the record charts. You can tell he is just enjoying the heck out of life with stuff like that. And for whoever mentioned carrie underwood, i still say toby beat her to it with How Do You Like Me Now? Its an excellent song about how the other person screwed up that gets kinda dark when you stop to pay attention to the lyrics rather than just going "YEAH BABY! Thats what im talking about!" Carrie is guilty of about a dozen felonies by the end of her song, toby is celebrating a broken woman sobbing by herself at home while her kids listen in when she could have been with him instead.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    If you listened to Carrie Underwood, you'd think all country songs were about angry women getting revenge on their abusive/cheating/scumbag boyfriends/husbands.
    Had to go listen to that song once you reminded me of it, and I found this bit of gold in the Youtube comments.

Cop: dang what happened
    Dude: I don’t know
    Cop: well your seat says Carrie Underwood so I think we have a pretty clear suspect
    Last edited by Rodin; 2019-09-26 at 07:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #798

As far as problem goes, Sven's is not as bad as many people 's.

Still can suck for him, when you feel like a hack and everyone hates when you pour your heart into it.

Reminds me of Terry Nation who wanted DR Who to not be about silly space monsters. And then everyone fell in love with the Daleks.

19. - Top - End - #799

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Also jesus. Sometimes he takes the wheel. And Wraith, Toby is very much so legit country, its just he is so famous and rich off of his music he can toss out songs like red solo cup for fun and still be on the record charts. You can tell he is just enjoying the heck out of life with stuff like that. And for whoever mentioned carrie underwood, i still say toby beat her to it with How Do You Like Me Now? Its an excellent song about how the other person screwed up that gets kinda dark when you stop to pay attention to the lyrics rather than just going "YEAH BABY! Thats what im talking about!" Carrie is guilty of about a dozen felonies by the end of her song, toby is celebrating a broken woman sobbing by herself at home while her kids listen in when she could have been with him instead.
    I love that song - it's so clear the singer is an awful person who the woman made an excellent choice in ignoring, for all that her life is still miserable without him. That and 'As Good As I Once Was' are my two favorite songs by him, especially with the music videos helping drive the point home that Toby-The-Singer is not nearly as cool as he thinks he is. His legit-country stuff isn't nearly as much fun, the only one I can say I like is his duet work with Willy Nelson on 'Beer For My Horses'.

Gunpowder and Lead is another go-girl country song, so much I thought it was an Underwood work as well. Turns out it's Miranda Lambert instead.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-09-27 at 12:10 AM.

20. - Top - End - #800

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I love that song - it's so clear the singer is an awful person who the woman made an excellent choice in ignoring, for all that her life is still miserable without him. That and 'As Good As I Once Was' are my two favorite songs by him, especially with the music videos helping drive the point home that Toby-The-Singer is not nearly as cool as he thinks he is. His legit-country stuff isn't nearly as much fun, the only one I can say I like is his duet work with Willy Nelson on 'Beer For My Horses'.

Gunpowder and Lead is another go-girl country song, so much I thought it was an Underwood work as well. Turns out it's Miranda Lambert instead.
    Ill Never Smoke Weed With Willy Again is another good one, but its pretty much pure silliness sung to a heavy country twang. I dont even know if its his or if its just something he did a cover of with someone else.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Old Country. Maybe even Elder Country.

22. - Top - End - #802

Awwww

He's made for May

23. - Top - End - #803
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Ahhh, Sven's got the gifted kid problem: never had to work hard for anything early on, but still succeeded, so now he doesn't know how to deal with failure when it does rear its head. Makes sense with how he dealt (or rather, didn't deal) with Faye breaking up with him, too.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2019-09-30 at 01:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #804

Griffon

It could be a little bit of both. I seem to recall that a long time ago (pre-comic, even) Sven was dumped by a girl that he truly adored, which has put him off genuine relationships with women ever since. That's not necessarily "avoiding failure" in the way that Dora suggests.

Speaking of Dora, this is the closest emotionally that he's been to her for years, and yet immediately she's judging him with amateur psychology and listing all of his faults when all he wanted was a coffee. I couldn't blame the guy for finding that irritating.
    Bear in mind that "gifted kid problem" was Dora's perception of Sven when her neuroses was at its peak, before she was seeing a therapist and listing all the ways in which she felt inadequate around him. We haven't yet heard Sven's side of the story - it's entirely possible that he knows his own mind and is simply being honest.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

Etc"
    “I've ran out of toilet paper
    and my hamster died”

26. - Top - End - #806

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It could be a little bit of both. I seem to recall that a long time ago (pre-comic, even) Sven was dumped by a girl that he truly adored, which has put him off genuine relationships with women ever since. That's not necessarily "avoiding failure" in the way that Dora suggests.
    That sounds a lot like Rayne Summer's backstory from LICD.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

27. - Top - End - #807
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Man I'm trying real hard to like Sven, let's please not just have him have the Standard Douchenozzle Justification.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2019-09-30 at 07:21 AM.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

"Every time I've let myself be vulnerable, it's come back to bite me in the ***" is not gifted kid problem.

29. - Top - End - #809

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    It is entirely possible that I am confusing the two; I started reading both comics around the same time, though I don't think I have read LICD this decade, mostly because...

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin
    Man I'm trying real hard to like Sven, let's please not just have him have the Standard Douchenozzle Justification.
    ...I agree with this. If QC can have one other character who doesn't have a Dark And Traumatic Back Story (Marten seems okay), I hope it's Sven.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ogre in the Playground

Marten's backstory of "my dad is gay and my mum is a dominatrix" isn't dark, it's just... quirky.

If I recall correctly, Dora's backstory is also pretty normal - no sob stories there.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me