New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Marten's backstory of "my dad is gay and my mum is a dominatrix" isn't dark, it's just... quirky.

If I recall correctly, Dora's backstory is also pretty normal - no sob stories there.
    It depends on what you take for origin story. Marten's also is "I was in love with this girl and I came here to be with her and then she got off the radar and sms-dumped me", and Dora's "She always was with alpha-goths who treated her badly and never had a good relationship before Marten".
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #812

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Marten's backstory of "my dad is gay and my mum is a dominatrix" isn't dark, it's just... quirky..
    That's what I meant by "Marten seems okay". His parents are divorced, but it's probably the most amicable and genteel divorce in the history of fiction so he's probably got the most well-adjusted childhood of everyone in the cast.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Who are we counting as cast? Because going through them in my head, I come up with most of them being pretty normal.

Pintsize
    Steve
    Cossette
    Momo
    Marigold
    Angus
    Clinton
    Renee
    Eliot
    Jim (arguably - he's divorced, but it doesn't appear to affect his current happiness)
    Penelope
    Wil
    Tai

And that's without going back and counting characters who have long since left the comic like Ellen.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    ...I agree with this. If QC can have one other character who doesn't have a Dark And Traumatic Back Story (Marten seems okay), I hope it's Sven.
    It's not about him not having a dark backstory, it's that the whole "oh he used to be nice but he Cared Too Much and a Womand Did Him Wrong so he turned into a jerkwad (nonetheless still gets all the sex forever, of course)" is extremely tired.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ettin in the Playground

For the record, "showing emotional vulnerability" is not the same thing as "being nice."

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

6. - Top - End - #816

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    For the record, "showing emotional vulnerability" is not the same thing as "being nice."
    Sven's greatest failure as an individual has always been his extreme self-centreness. But I don't think he has been actively malevolent.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Sven's greatest failure as an individual has always been his extreme self-centreness. But I don't think he has been actively malevolent.
    "Not being actively malevolent" is also not the same thing as "being nice."

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Let the record show that "being nice" is not the same as either "showing emotional vulnerability," nor "not being actively malevolent."

Serious question, other than Drascin using the term 'nice' in his mock-quote ('oh he used to be nice but...'), what is so important around 'nice?'

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ettin in the Playground

A lot, actually. There are groups of guys who go "I'm a 'nice' guy and thus deserve affection/attention/sex from girls, and girls who don't pay attention to me are mean bitches."

But theres also that thing in literature where the girl falls for a "bad boy" and goes "I can change him" and it turns out he had a heart of gold hidden behind that rough, borderline abusive facade he puts on because he'd been hurt that one time. He, of course, probably hurts her several times over the course of the story, but she doesn't become bitter and jaded about it and it just makes her want him more. And no, I'm not just talking about that one series named after times of day and lunar phenomena- a good chunk of young adult romances for girls follow that same formula, and then something something normalization of domestic abuse

10. - Top - End - #820

He..

Hmm...

He is self centered, but does not hesitate when he realize he can help.

Remember his Hannelore date?

11. - Top - End - #821

A lot, actually. There are groups of guys who go "I'm a 'nice' guy and thus deserve affection/attention/sex from girls, and girls who don't pay attention to me are mean bitches."

But theres also that thing in literature where the girl falls for a "bad boy" and goes "I can change him" and it turns out he had a heart of gold hidden behind that rough, borderline abusive facade he puts on because he'd been hurt that one time. He, of course, probably hurts her several times over the course of the story, but she doesn't become bitter and jaded about it and it just makes her want him more. And no, I'm not just talking about that one series named after times of day and lunar phenomena- a good chunk of young adult romances for girls follow that same formula, and then something something normalization of domestic abuse
    I wonder if that's the young adult romantic literature equivalent of superhuman feats by action heroes that supposedly have no superpowers. Bullets won't hinder G.I. Joe's resolve, nor will emotional abuse hinder her love. Instead of taking out the whole terrorist outpost alone, she can turn the desirable prick into a good guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Yes, those people exist, and are a really horrific phenomenon (and how 'nice' got an extra set of air quotes around it). I don't think Drascin was using that term in that fashion. Sven certainly hasn't characterized himself as being nice, nor does he seem to think he deserves affection. He's really more 'bad boy' (as you mention next) than '"nice" guy' (bad boys being the guys that 'nice' guys complain get the female attention that they deserve).

That's certainly more the risk with Sven. There's a risk, especially for the audience (who get to see him acting good or having inner turmoil) in assuming that 1) he does have a heart of gold, and 2) that that matters. From the perspective of any woman who gets involved with him, or in real life any female friend/relative/oneself (as appropriate) we know who might want to get involved with 'a Sven,' even having the heart of gold underneath doesn't really matter if it doesn't translate into being a good person/lover.

I know the 'jerk lover' literary trope goes back at least to Lord Byron, but I suppose it has existed a lot longer than that, even if not in quite the same pre-packaged form.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2019-10-01 at 09:55 AM.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

King Crimson gets a mention in today's comic.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    King Crimson gets a mention in today's comic.
    I had the best conversation about them about a year ago after I ran into this when mistyping 'prog rock' into google.

15. - Top - End - #825

Griffon

I mean, is it a pun if it's probably true? Emu eat plenty of plants, seeds and pods in the wild, so they'd probably be quite happy with peas in captivity, like geese and similar flat-beaked birds.

Yes I'm aware of the reference, but comedy has RULES dammit
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-10-03 at 04:12 AM.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm not even sure where the pun is supposed to be in there...

17. - Top - End - #827

Griffon

If you want to make a peace offering, use peas. Or, in other words, Give Peas a Chance.

The other characters are correct in refusing to pay her any attention.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-10-03 at 08:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone says they support whirled peas, but when push comes to shove...
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Why is Bubbles so adamant in clarifying what she would and would not be able to detect? Did someone previously impugn her detection skills?

20. - Top - End - #830
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Why is Bubbles so adamant in clarifying what she would and would not be able to detect? Did someone previously impugn her detection skills?
    Its because she wants to detect something. She flat out says as much.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    "An excuse to use an esoteric skillset of mine? Score!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Yes, I got the obvious stuff stated right in the comic I clearly had read, thank you. But why?

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    "An excuse to use an esoteric skillset of mine? Score!"
    Sure, if that's all it is, great. I just wanted to know if either 'fervently wants to use esoteric skillset' or 'fervently wants people to know she is capable of esoteric talent' were established personality traits we knew about Bubbles.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Yes, I got the obvious stuff stated right in the comic I clearly had read, thank you. But why?

Sure, if that's all it is, great. I just wanted to know if either 'fervently wants to use esoteric skillset' or 'fervently wants people to know she is capable of esoteric talent' were established personality traits we knew about Bubbles.
    Bubbles making (relatively) mundane use of her military skills and background, such as the flares, is something that she has done in the past, yes.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I read it less as "Bubbles wants to show off her esoteric skillset" than as "Bubbles finds it weird how civilians can go weeks without considering the need for a signal flare or an optically-camouflaged-emu detection protocol."

25. - Top - End - #835

Griffon

This is why I like May a lot more than Faye, as the comic's resident "grumpy bastard" character.

May talks tough, but when she gets caught out or 1-up'd she admits that she deserved it, which is a much funnier punchline than people having to tread softly around Faye, who historically just sulks and/or punches them.

Like today - Dale's timing was great, and May's defeated expression was just perfect.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-10-07 at 08:47 AM.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It really seems like this is going to be "May really gets a new body" arc. There's like 4 different options they pondered to make that happen.
    a) State pays because Roko's complaint is valid
    b) Spookybot's zero-interest loans for new bodies starts
    c) crowdfunding
    d) Ask Marigold's dad
    I might actually have forgotten one or two. Anyway, seems weird Jeph would dangle so many "this is how it could happen" in front of us and then yank them all away.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Colossus in the Playground

Im wondering if she will end up with an even more human body and how things will progress with sven.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I'm wondering whether when she gets a stronger body May is going to start beating people up.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I'm wondering whether when she gets a stronger body May is going to start beating people up.
    I don't think so. For mainly two reasons. First May doesn't seem to be the physical violent type. And Secondly, Jeph seems intent on using May as a representation to show how the system keeps ex-cons down, and a lot of their problems are actually caused by that. You can agree or disagree with the message here, and I'm certainly not getting into that, but it seems unlikely Jeph will sabotage that message by turning May into an even worse person after some of those obstacles are removed from her path.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    I don't think so. For mainly two reasons. First May doesn't seem to be the physical violent type. And Secondly, Jeph seems intent on using May as a representation to show how the system keeps ex-cons down, and a lot of their problems are actually caused by that. You can agree or disagree with the message here, and I'm certainly not getting into that, but it seems unlikely Jeph will sabotage that message by turning May into an even worse person after some of those obstacles are removed from her path.
    Besides, may is a jerk, not a bully.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."