New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

"Performs as expected."

Wat

Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    "Performs as expected."

Wat
    "Oh good, it explodes under the conditions we thought it would, rather than much earlier."
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Colossus in the Playground

"Performs as expected."

Wat
    Some people like a little extra UMPH in their recreational adult devices.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #1114

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    "Oh good, it explodes under the conditions we thought it would, rather than much earlier."
    I wanna know what's in that thing that could make them expect it to explode under any conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Some people like a little extra UMPH in their recreational adult devices.
    That's one hell of a fetish

Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Firbolg in the Playground

The aim is to verify the conditions in which the item is destroyed, as well as the manner in which it does destruct. Like, you want to avoid toxic fumes or high-velocity shrapnel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I wanna know what's in that thing that could make them expect it to explode under any conditions
    A battery.

7. - Top - End - #1117

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    A battery.
    What happen if you put a battery in microwave?

Actually, screw that. I wanna know what's theoretically the single worst thing to expose a battery to that's not visible to the human eye.

Chernobyl grade radiation?

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Actually, screw that. I wanna know what's theoretically the single worst thing to expose a battery to that's not visible to the human eye.

Why invisible to the human eye?

As to Chernobyl grade radiation (I'm assuming you mean the worst levels at the disaster site, like at the 'Elephant's Foot'), I know that level of radiation can play havoc on electronics, but I suspect that there are other reasons you wouldn't want that kind of radiation near something that goes right up to your privates.

9. - Top - End - #1119

WhiteWizardGirl

What happen if you put a battery in microwave?

Anti-hydrogen is technically transparent. Technically.

More realistically, they're probably doing a test with damaged batteries.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Maybe it's designed for robots, and the explosion isn't a bug but a feature.

11. - Top - End - #1121

Maybe they use it to channel eldritch energies and exploding is the intended safety valve in case of an overload. Or maybe it is secret agent equipment where everything is disguised as sex toy.

12. - Top - End - #1122

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Why invisible to the human eye?

As to Chernobyl grade radiation (I'm assuming you mean the worst levels at the disaster site, like at the 'Elephant's Foot'), I know that level of radiation can play havoc on electronics, but I suspect that there are other reasons you wouldn't want that kind of radiation near something that goes right up to your privates.
    Wondering if there's anything we can do to reliably make a battery explode

13. - Top - End - #1123

Griffon

Conventional batteries will smoulder and then burst if you heat them up too much. That's a perfectly plausible reason for Beepatrice to be satisfied with her test - the model she's testing has been reported to get hot when run too long, which causes the battery to breach. That her test model exploded, proves that the reports were right and now they can start fixing it.

More likely: Wacky QC logic that we don't really need to think about too much
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground

Bubbles... the internet lied to you.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Bubbles... the internet lied to you.
    No, I'm pretty sure the Internet was correct on this one; poses that are designed to accentuate curves are sort of what entire genres of art and dance are based around, with varying degrees of wholesomeness. That doesn't mean it'll always work with any given person though
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

16. - Top - End - #1126

Griffon

QC has explored this punchline before; when Angus and Marigold discussed one of her guildmates who was posting racy pictures of herself for attention, and Angus pointed out that they were using classic poses that hid her waistline and her tummy.

...Which Marigold immediately tried out for herself. So sexy poses definitely DO work, even if Faye hadn't just proved it.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure the Internet was correct on this one; poses that are designed to accentuate curves are sort of what entire genres of art and dance are based around, with varying degrees of wholesomeness. That doesn't mean it'll always work with any given person though
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    QC has explored this punchline before; when Angus and Marigold discussed one of her guildmates who was posting racy pictures of herself for attention, and Angus pointed out that they were using classic poses that hid her waistline and her tummy.

...Which Marigold immediately tried out for herself. So sexy poses definitely DO work, even if Faye hadn't just proved it.

To me, they range from blatant to silly. That is, they usually look like someone trying way too hard to look "sexy".
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-12-27 at 01:31 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    To me, they range from blatant to silly. That is, they usually look like someone trying way too hard to look "sexy".
    Sure, and since that's a broadly accurate description of Bubbles in this comic that'd be pretty hard to argue with

But perhaps that says more about your particular taste, than it does on the general concept of sexy poses on the internet?
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2019-12-27 at 02:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I'm still not clear on what the invisible part has to do with it. However heating, smashing, cutting, just about anything that would break a device is doubly dangerous with batteries. Here's a useful series on the subject.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Titan in the Playground

Batteries are devices that store a lot of energy in a small physical space.

Do you know what the name of a device that stores a lot of energy in a small physical space and then suddenly releases all of it? A bomb.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

21. - Top - End - #1131

Different batteries can explode in different ways. Car batteries (for internal combustion engines) can leak hydrogen, which will blow up if ignited; this almost never happens nowadays. Alkaline batteries contain liquids, so they could explode if exposed to extreme temperatures (it takes effort and a blowtorch). Lithium ion batteries can explode because of physical damage, overheating, or overcharging. Sometimes they were badly designed, and, while charging, the electrodes had so little room that they deformed and caused a short circuit by touching each other.

And a lithium ion battery can be made up of many different cells, so if your laptop battery starts popping and emitting smoke, it's probably just the first cell: it's time to leave your work station before the domino effect kicks in and the whole thing is engulfed by fire!

Also, once it catches fire, do not pour water on it! Just call or send an email to your local fire brigade. (A class D extinguisher might work, but I'm not taking any responsibility here. Also, it may depend on where it was manufactured.)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Also, once it catches fire, do not pour water on it! Just call or send an email to your local fire brigade. (A class D extinguisher might work, but I'm not taking any responsibility here. Also, it may depend on where it was manufactured.)
    Remember: If your laptop catches fire, just call 0118 999 881 999 119 725 3!

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Different batteries can explode in different ways. Car batteries (for internal combustion engines) can leak hydrogen, which will blow up if ignited; this almost never happens nowadays. Alkaline batteries contain liquids, so they could explode if exposed to extreme temperatures (it takes effort and a blowtorch). Lithium ion batteries can explode because of physical damage, overheating, or overcharging. Sometimes they were badly designed, and, while charging, the electrodes had so little room that they deformed and caused a short circuit by touching each other.

And a lithium ion battery can be made up of many different cells, so if your laptop battery starts popping and emitting smoke, it's probably just the first cell: it's time to leave your work station before the domino effect kicks in and the whole thing is engulfed by fire!

Back when I did computer repair, we had a laptop in the shop with "battery trouble", and the battery started to smoke in the middle of testing. Between me and the tech working on it, we got the battery out of the laptop and chucked out the back door into empty parking spaces before it burst into flames.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Dwarf in the Playground

...Foomp.

25. - Top - End - #1135

Griffon

They're silly, but I really like these strips wherein some AI characters get together and just... play. There's no rhyme or reason for what they're doing today, other than just being silly because it amuses them to do so, and it's very wholesome.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Barbarian in the Playground

So ... I'm sure it's a coincidence that the skeevy AI gov't guy reminds me of the evil mayor in Alice Grove.
    Last edited by Windscion; 2020-01-07 at 11:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh boy, that's going well... about as I expected.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Im sensing an incoming adversarial "bad cop" moment which will end up being significantly more successful than trying to play nice. This guy is clearly not interested in challenging the status quo on his own initiative.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #1139

AssassinGuy

„oh hey, I got this comfortably boring job, and then some AI makes things complicated by asking for something special.“
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

30. - Top - End - #1140

Griffon

I'm... kind of on this guy's side, to be honest.

What was Roko expecting to achieve? I think the honest answer would be that she was expecting to meet with some kind of Snidely Whiplash-like character who actively took joy in depriving AIs of a suitable body for petty reasons, and then browbeat them into being better people and bending over backwards to give Roko the victory that she wanted.

Turns out, that's not quite the case. This guy just implied that May volunteered to be embodied upon her release - wasn't she previously saying that it was enforced, as part of her parole? - and that she knew what she was getting into.

That's not a great answer I'll admit - "it's what she asked for, so it's not my problem" - but I'm guessing that it's going to be due to May's equivalent of claustrophobia and that she can't bare to be encased in a server any more and ANY body is better than that. In which case, the body-assignment office isn't responsible for May's underlying condition, and instead this would probably require a lawyer suing the state for damages because they inflicted unnecessary trauma on her during her incarceration.

...Or I may be completely wrong and tomorrow Roko browbeats the guy into dipping deeper into the budget just this once. I guess we'll find out then.