Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Here in New Jersey, we believe that Thomas Alva Edison invented the light bulb, while Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. I wouldn't be surprised if other places have other ideas, given the disputes I've seen about other inventions.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Nobody has much to say about the current comics/arc it seems...
    Other than it's taking too long, not really. The strongest things I can muster is that I don't care much for or against most of these people, and none of this is realistic. I actually am kinda liking the Clinton-Elliot shipping (both by the author and the characters). That though, is one of the unrealistic parts. I don't have time to go hunt for it, but the foot in the door Jeph left for Clinton-with-guys was something along the lines of him saying he was straight, 'but if I met the right guy who knows?' or something like that. That felt so stilted and artificial that I'll have a hard time treating the downstream consequences of it seriously.

Other than that, no not really. Renee's a jerk, Elliot is a big human golden retriever, Brun is a small human kitty cat, and the wacky robots are wacky. Pretty much the whole arc is just there.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I don't find this especially unrealistic, not compared to basically anything else in the comic anyway.

Like, the biggest thing is that it feels like it's been forever since we've had a plotline focused on any of the old Central Cast of Martin-Faye-Dora (Yeah, Martin and Faye are the true protagonists, but I feel that Dora has had enough focus to be included).
    Dora (and Hannalore) last appeared in 4195, 35 comics ago, but only for one panel.

4194 was a faye-and-Bubbles comic, but it was a check-in from the earlier "storyline" with faye and claire, 4186-4188.

Before then 4172-4185 was basically all Roko, with a mild Faye-and-Bubbles Cameo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I don't find this especially unrealistic, not compared to basically anything else in the comic anyway.

Like, the biggest thing is that it feels like it's been forever since we've had a plotline focused on any of the old Central Cast of Martin-Faye-Dora (Yeah, Martin and Faye are the true protagonists, but I feel that Dora has had enough focus to be included).
    Dora (and Hannalore) last appeared in 4195, 35 comics ago, but only for one panel.

4194 was a faye-and-Bubbles comic, but it was a check-in from the earlier "storyline" with faye and claire, 4186-4188.

Before then 4172-4185 was basically all Roko, with a mild Faye-and-Bubbles Cameo.
    This.

There's other characters I haven't cared about in the past. That morgue chick that Steve dated for a while comes to mind. The difference is that they would spend a few strips in the limelight, then the story would pivot to someone else. I found it in the archives, and the entire little mini arc was 819-828, and that arc was broken up by strips at the coffee shop. She shows up for 5 strips, then we get several strips of aftermath, then we move on. We don't return to that story line until 882, a.k.a 3 months of real-life time later. We get a break from the characters to let other stuff happen.

We're focused in on a group of characters who aren't even interesting enough to produce a love or hate reaction. Those characters are not doing anything interesting (drinking at the house and moving boxes), they aren't developing their relationships, and we aren't getting a cutaway to the characters we actually read the strip for.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ettin in the Playground

Jeph Jacques is 39 years old. He's older than me, and I graduated from High School at the turn of the last millennium, yet here we are still listening to him complain about how High School-ers treat each other badly.

It's like a small essay on "those dang millenials" by someone who barely missed being a Gen-Xer and kind of resents it. I'm not saying he's a bad guy or anything of the sort, but just maybe he should consider writing something that isn't about 20-something townies, lest he be mistaken for someone stuck in the past and who holds on to unreasonable grudges...
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Jeph Jacques is 39 years old. He's older than me, and I graduated from High School at the turn of the last millennium, yet here we are still listening to him complain about how High School-ers treat each other badly.

It's like a small essay on "those dang millenials" by someone who barely missed being a Gen-Xer and kind of resents it. I'm not saying he's a bad guy or anything of the sort, but just maybe he should consider writing something that isn't about 20-something townies, lest he be mistaken for someone stuck in the past and who holds on to unreasonable grudges...
    It's one thing I've liked about Something Positive. The characters have all aged over time. Not as much as the real world perhaps, but they're all at least in their mid 30s now and are dealing with having kids and taking care of elderly relatives. It provided a shift in the storytelling that is still grounded in "real-world" issues.

Jeph has chosen to shake things up by focusing on sentient AIs and robot rights - something that is far more interesting to him than it is to us.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It's one thing I've liked about Something Positive. The characters have all aged over time. Not as much as the real world perhaps, but they're all at least in their mid 30s now and are dealing with having kids and taking care of elderly relatives. It provided a shift in the storytelling that is still grounded in "real-world" issues.
    Randy's also not afraid to acknowledge when his characters -even the mains- are incidentally being awful people. Even in cases where he didn't intend them to be.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's one thing I've liked about Something PositiveJeph has chosen to shake things up by focusing on sentient AIs and robot rights - something that is far more interesting to him than it is to us.
    It isn't even that it couldn't be an interesting premise. But ther genre shift did it no favors, the slice of life that's still there tend to cause tinsel dissonance every so often, and honestly, even Adobe everything else, I don't think Jeph's skills are quite that good to really try to address real world issues of privilege and oppression through the metaphor of AI rights.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ettin in the Playground

Jeph has chosen to shake things up by focusing on sentient AIs and robot rights - something that is far more interesting to him than it is to us.
    I have to say, one of my disappointments with QC is how it has failed to address anything of consequence with the AI characters.

The Anthro-PCs were cool - cute little mascots for the comic who never the less got to observe what was going on around them and make observations based on their symbiotic relationships with humans and technology, with the pitfalls of either due to a misunderstood idiom or corrupted firmwear update.

Station was cool - I really liked the idea of a super-intelligent non-humanoid character who was actually just kind of pleasant, amiable and friendly, and whose crush on Hannelore wasn't a tired take on the old "What Is This Thing You Call Love?" trope.

But when the humanoid AI's became more common, AIs just... stopped being interesting. They're just ordinary people who happen to be weird colours and have specific dietary requirements - that's a very simple anti-racism interpretation which is to be applauded, but it doesn't make for a very interesting story if everyone is the same except for superficial cosmetics.
    Even the recent storyline about Roko's battle to get May a new chassis isn't really about AIs, it's a confused Aesop about how ex-cons are treated badly told by using technicolour protagonists where everyone agrees that the Bad Thing is Bad except for the strawman nominated to create some kind of obstacle.... And even the AI/DMV guy who shot Roko down wasn't wrong in what he was saying, he just wasn't as helpful as the Designated Protagonist wanted them to be.

I want to like the AI characters as they could be really interesting, but its a shame that they just get used as poorly explained stand-ins for oppressed minorities when there's no reason not to just go for the throat of the issue and portray an actual member of said minority.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought a bit about what would be different without AIs in the comic.

I think that Bubbles was the only "recent" case in which there was an added value to her being a robot. It made blackmailing much more efficient, because the problem wasn't just that she could lose her memories, but that something could overcome her from inside and make her chassis do something horrible.

Unfortunately, that same arc was imho horribly mismanaged (I never got Squidbot). But Corpse Witch was probably the best that came out of the presence of AIs, at least on a plot level. But Squidbot saw to severing that thread...

I also really liked May in Dale's glasses. Or when she showed up with the scary half-face. The problem is that QC is a visual medium, and yet chose the blandest appearances for AIs.

Otherwise, AIs allow Faye to work as a mechanic who also is an insensitive doctor. But here we hit the wall: there just isn't enough information on the economics of AIs to make much out of it, and everything is due to author fiat.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

I don't think you'd be mistaking him, every time he starts on politics he seems to be someone who carries unreasonable grudges. See, his past commentaries on police.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Colossus in the Playground

"Trivia is not a substitute for personality".

Does not compute. Please explain. Trivia facts are the basic unit of conversation,aren't they?
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Ettin in the Playground

They were quite in synch with the "am I autistic" commentary, too, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Dwarf in the Playground

Awwww that's too bad

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ogre in the Playground

... I don't think skunks are that aggressive, but I'm just being nitpicky about one of my knowledge niches I suppose.
    Let's Play Super Mario RPG
    Random Twitch Stream

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    ... I don't think skunks are that aggressive, but I'm just being nitpicky about one of my knowledge niches I suppose.
    Maybe he was accidentally really close to its litter

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe it has babies nearby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    What's the word for 'fear of being eaten by a mounted bear in half-plate' again? Because that's the one I have.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

It's clearly aggressive because that caps off the night on a comedic note. However, you're not wrong. I noticed earlier the tomato juice reference which is also counterfactual, but served the punchline perfectly fine.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Titan in the Playground

It also might be that he stumbled over it too close. Like, if a skunk sees you coming and you see it from a decent distance thats fine. But if you are in actual spray range, you are too close, especially if you were coming right for it before you spotted it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    It also might be that he stumbled over it too close. Like, if a skunk sees you coming and you see it from a decent distance thats fine. But if you are in actual spray range, you are too close, especially if you were coming right for it before you spotted it.
    Indeed. Skunks are not, as a rule, aggressive, but they don't exactly appreciate big dumb humans coming up to them and getting all over their personal space either. You get too close to a bush with a skunk hiding in it, they aint going to wait to see if youre hostile, theyre just going to tell you to get gone.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #1372

I thought the implication was that Elliot's ongoing "I am consistently seen as at least three grades more aggressive than I am actually being" thing works across interspecies barriers and just cost him dearly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

23. - Top - End - #1373

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    It's clearly aggressive because that caps off the night on a comedic note. However, you're not wrong. I noticed earlier the tomato juice reference which is also counterfactual, but served the punchline perfectly fine.
    As long as some people believe in it, and it's plausible that Renee is one of them, it doesn't truly matter whether it would work for the reference.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I thought the implication was that Elliot's ongoing "I am consistently seen as at least three grades more aggressive than I am actually being" thing works across interspecies barriers and just cost him dearly.
    That would make a lot of sense, actually

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As long as some people believe in it, and it's plausible that Renee is one of them, it doesn't truly matter whether it would work for the reference.
    For that matter, since she was joking, as long as people recognize the myth its fine.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Titan in the Playground

Ok so now we move on to the only other housing area in all of Mass where every other character lives. Im starting to buy into the annoyance factor here. Which is odd considering that at one point all the main characters basically lived together. Marten and dora were living together, faye was also there, hannerlore had her apartment in the building, etc etc etc. Somehow though this is bugging me.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Yes, I had thought of mentioning that, but was spacing on Renee's name at the time. My point was that some of these things are just set ups for punchlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Ok so now we move on to the only other housing area in all of Mass where every other character lives. Im starting to buy into the annoyance factor here. Which is odd considering that at one point all the main characters basically lived together. Marten and dora were living together, faye was also there, hannerlore had her apartment in the building, etc etc etc. Somehow though this is bugging me.
    I think it hits differently because all those characters living together was plot-emergent. Faye was a friend who moved in with friends. That was the plot. Hanners stalked her neighbors, and that's how we came to meet her. Them being neighbors was either the reason we know about these characters, or was a direct consequence of character plot. This, otoh, is just kind of making characters -- who have no direct connection, and in fact several degrees of separation (let's see, Yay intervened in Bubbles' troubles with Corpse Witch, to which Faye was party, Faye is friends with Marten, Marten started going to the bakery Elliot works at when he didn't want to go to CoD when he and Dora broke up. That's the shortest chain I can make) -- interact because it is convenient to the plot to use known characters.

It is kind of like a sitcom where the main character has a 'work circle' and a 'home circle' of people and there is some plot involving one of those two, but a fan favorite character from the other group shows up with some cockamamie explanation. I mean, sure, there aren't a lot of apartments in a small college town or somesuch, but we still can see the Doylist mechanics underlying it. It's not the greatest of sins by any means, but I would call it 'this is bugging me'-worthy.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yay has access to tremendous resources and advanced technology, is of ambiguous gender, and has multiple bodies
    Spoiler
    Show
    which sometimes do contradictory things
    . Are they really a robot network, or Aanander Mianaai, Lord of the Radch?
    Last edited by VoxRationis; 2020-04-03 at 02:46 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I feel like Jeph has never smelled proper direct skunk spray before. While I can say this is one experience he's not missing out on, I can also say that your reaction will not and will never be "let me calmly show somebody my cat and then go change my clothes." It will almost always be "oh my god, I stink so bad I want to burst into tears, please remove my ability to smell!"
    Citation: my dogs got skunked a couple years ago. Just the proxy was enough to nearly shut me down, I cant imagine having to live with it. This is one case where the cartoonish seeming overreaction is actually almost spot on.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I can't imagine the cat letting itself so easily be picked up by someone sprayed by a skunk.