Firbolg in the Playground

Default San Fransapporo: After Dark OOC

San Fransapporo: After Dark

The Team

IC Thread: Here
    Index: Here

Spoiler: When the Team Came Together
    Show
    When the Team first came together we defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?
    One of the Bard’s enforcers, a guy calling himself Iron Devil. He’s able to control magnetism and did some pretty crazy **** with it. He boasted about being able to whip up some sort of railgun. I’m not really sure what that is, or how it works, all I know is that I hadn’t been hurt (with the exception of Sunburst temporarily blinding me) since coming back here, yet that thing just clipped me and my shoulder is still sore.

Ronin tried explaining how that Railgun thing worked, something about alternating magnetic charges, but I still don't really get it. She also seemed to mark something down on a map.

Sunburst, The Nova - We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

"It was, uh, pretty messy. The fight broke out in the industrial park. Near an R&D lab, might've been a Wukong industries lab..? I think that, uh, that might be where Iron Devil got the parts for the rail gun. I swear, stuff was already getting destroyed before I stepped in. But when Groundzero was shot at? I had to try and stop the shots! Someone could've been killed! So, I made a barrier in front of us, try and screen us from the shots. Not had to block something that strong before, didn't absorb the impact. It, uh, it just fractured the shot. Didn't hit any of us, but the shrapnel devastated the buildings behind us. I tried firing back, but I was feeling pretty shaken. My beam wasn't focused enough, started some fires. I... Stuck to just trying to block him after that..."

The Lion, The Legacy - All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

"After the team and I finished 'having words' with this 'Iron Devil', who should seem to come in to clean up the aftermath and take credit from the young? The Guardians, to the surprise of few on my team other than myself. I didn't know until I asked Hikari about it, but apparently he's become some big shot over at the Authority. He either failed to recognize me, or pretended not to, because I was all-to-certain he would take the opportunity to flagellate us for his own validation. But there he stood, clapping for us with a force so strong it somehow passed us and put out fires in the distance -- the same ones Sunburst had set earlier in the fight."

"How... how in Duat did he manage to do that!?"

We impressed MASTER SUN, one of Lightbringer's top lieutenants in the Authority, an immortal being also known as Sun Wu, or Sun Tzu. He has no powers beyond being a sleepless, needless immortal with infinite time to prepare. He's been critical to Lightbringer's ability to not be assassinated by all five warlords for stepping out of line from the Guardian/Warlord pact.

Tsunami, The Protege - We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How'd we keep in contact?

For starters, I needed their help still, immediately after. Not that we had to stick together, but they’re good people, so they did. I was still recovering from my encounter with The Warrior before the bout with the Iron Devil began. I held it together through the fight though, mostly thanks to their presence. I know, I know, I probably shouldn’t have been there to begin with, but I was, and I’m glad. I guess it was sort of the kick in the a** that made me realize working as part of a group... actually be a good thing, and not just kicking around on my own all the time. It definitely felt nice not to be knocked flat again, at least.

Once all the dust was settled and all the talking was all done, I... needed someone to get me home. Not the proudest moment, but I was pretty d*mn tapped out, and hurting. I didn’t really know any of them well enough to ask specifically for a shoulder to lean on, so I offered for all of them to join me at the ‘shop’, to check out the base below, and hoped that it was a good enough excuse to keep them around. That way I wouldn’t be caught alone in a weak state by anyone on my way back, and if I really needed it... I could ask for that shoulder. I did need it. As it turned out, I wasn't the only one scuffed up. It was a good chance for us all to get patched up too, I had some first aid supplies at the base. But it also gave us a chance to discuss just amongst ourselves what had just happened, and for the most part, everyone seemed pretty pumped and proud of our joint effort. I don’t know if it was me, or Hikari, or who proposed it initially... but the idea of potentially forming an actual team, or at least trying it again, floated pretty naturally at some point.

At the base, it became quickly apparent that we had the potential set up for a lot of things that would help us function as a group. For obvious reasons, with the base hidden as it was we had a safe place to both gather and plan as heroes, and then to even deploy to a few places in the city via the teleportal. But even the store above had its uses. One of them pointed out that the shop being only a front could be used to our advantage. It meant that any one of the team could claim to work there, if they needed an excuse to be there in civvies without arousing suspicion, and no one was going to bust that myth. It’s also in a fairly safe area, not terribly conspicuous. And then, just being so near the River Market, well... it is just sort of a nice place to hangout and crash with good food.

It sounds simple enough an explanation, but everything did sort of just fall together that night. I ended up giving everyone a key to activate the portals that are placed throughout the city. They’re a magitech creation of the Smith to help me, well, now us out. The ‘keys’ look like they’re made out of sheets of crystal, a bit irregular and smaller than a credit card by half, with iridescent circuitry visible in certain lights. They allow a person to be recognized by the portals and trigger them to open when in proximity. enough to be easily fit into a piece of armour or otherwise, however everyone wants to disguise them.

Ronin created some kind of map app so that everyone can easily find the coordinates for the portals (until they’re committed to memory) so that we didn’t have to use any default map app, definitely more secure. It also lets us keep track of each other, in that it can track the location of the keys as well. That function can be turned on and off individually, for privacy, which I hope never bites us in the a**, but everyone is entitled to their lives.

Ronin, The Scion - Someone important learned about my lineage and condemned us all. Who? Why?

The media coverage following The Incident in the industrial park was surprisingly positive. Sure, there had been some collateral damage, and I know that I didn't come off looking the best, getting lost in the throes of railgun-engineering in mid fight; Iron Devil spotted me and seemed to take my defection rather personally, and I'd had to draw the Sword of Doom and defend myself from his assault – and they caught that on camera! But the overall response seemed to say that we had 'stepped in to prevent an imbalance in strength of arms from spilling out onto the street' (direct quote!) and we were, perhaps, an up and coming team to watch out for! How awesome was that?

And then the Guardians held a press conference.

The Carmine Crane had stepped to the mic.

"While we are not certain as to the identities or allegiances of every member of this group of young costumed vigilantes that were involve in the Iron Devil Incident, one thing is clear." A still of the Ronin armour, sword out, was put up on the corner of the screen. "This armoured figure, whomever he may be, fought in the style distinct to the Warlord and his family. Whatever the rest of these young folk think is going on, they are clearly being influenced by a planted member of the Warlords." The judgement in his voice fell like the crack of doom.

"We are not certain, as of yet, just what this display of destruction was supposed to accomplish, but rest assured we will find out. Until then, we urge citizens to keep this hidden allegiance in mind when encountering these young people, and we urge the rest of them to not be lead astray by serpent-tongued advice."

Well. Crap.

Hikari, the Persona - We discovered something that incriminated my Alias. What was it and how did I cover my tracks?

"Iron Devil hired me...Silk...to help him steal something from Wukong Industries. He needed somebody to help finesse him in to get at a vault or something so he could brute force it open. It's never good for the Warlords to get what they want, and Koto-sensei has given me standing instructions to hobble their operations as often as possible so long as it doesn't put my infiltration at risk. So I tipped off Moonshadow and Sunburst and told them to bring some friends so we could foil the robbery. Iron Devil wasn't expecting interference and hadn't paid extra for Silk to fight anybody, so I took off at the first opportunity so Hikari could join the fight and help take him down.

After we subdued Iron Devil, we found surveillance footage of him and Silk inside the building. Oops. How was I supposed to know that Wukong had a separate, redundant camera circuit?! I showed up as Hikari during the fight, so it'd be crazy for anybody to suspect that I'm Silk. But that Ronin tech makes me antsy so, just to cover my bases, I snuck back to the building later that night and erased the footage. And this time I made sure to disable all the cameras first. Good thing I made sure Ronin didn't save a copy."

We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?
    “So, Iron Devil, he was kinda… funky, and not in a good way. It was like he wasn’t really seeing us, thought he was fighting someone else. Like, at the end, Mosi’s jumped him and is doing the punchy thing, but he’s sorta snarling and he shouts something about ‘Goliath Gecko’? It was weird, anyway.

And so we knock him out, and then we’re all standing around. GZ’s trying not to bleed too conspicuously, and sis is like, this close from a panic attack, and then Hikari pipes up, like “hey these tats are weird”, but not quite like that, ‘cause she’s like, trying to be cool. But yeah, he had this weird set of tattoos going around his neck, like a collar. They were black, and they kinda moved when you stopped looking at them. We all look at them for a while, and we all agreed that there was something kinda familiar about them, but I couldn’t work out what it was.

It was Ronin who worked it out, of course. Who else? She pointed out that they looked a whole lot around like Impact’s tattoos, and yeah, that kinda jogged something in my memory. She’s this kinda obscure b-lister who was involved with those kids with the dragon and all that. I wouldn’t have remembered her, but she was speaking at the funeral for the one that died, or turned into an ice spirit, or something. I think everyone’s fuzzy on that one. It was televised, anyway, ‘cause she did save the city, and then Impact was the main event.

Anyway, they were. Impact’s do that whole creepy move when you’re not looking at them too. We still haven’t worked out the connection, but it seems kinda important. Ronin did some digging on what was up with Impact’s tats, came back with no dice, and uso, that’s saying something. So yeah, we’ve started to look into it, you might say.”

Spoiler: Basic Moves
    Show

Duel: When entering single combat, roll 2d6. Take +1 to the roll if you have no Conditions marked. If you have two or less conditions marked, take a -1, if you have three or more Conditions marked, take a -2. On a miss, you’re injured in the conflict and must flee the scene as if you had all Conditions marked. In addition take -1 forward against your foe. On a hit, your foe gives ground and you gain an opportunity and you may add a Team to the Pool. On a 10+ your foe has fallen and must yield.

All You’ve Got: When engaged in single combat, roll 2d6. Take +1 if you have three or more conditions marked, take +2 if you have all five conditions marked. If you have no conditions marked, take -1 to the roll. On a miss you unleash your powers in a disastrous way, a friend or unintended target takes the brunt of your assault. On a hit your powers flare past your control as you batter your foe, either deal significant damage to yourself or your surroundings. If you choose to deal damage to yourself, mark a Condition. On a 10+, your foe is defeated but you harm them beyond your intentions. Regardless of the outcome, add a Team to the Pool.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-07-03 at 07:47 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: San Fransapporo: After Dark

So! We've got everyone. Welcome welcome.

We need to

1. Answer Relationship Questions.

2. Answer Influence Questions.

3. I have my own questions. Please answer them with your Character Submission

How old are you?

Who is your family? What are they like? Do they know about your powers or about you being a hero?

What is your favorite place in the city? What do you do there?

What do you do when you're bored?

Who knows about your secret identity?

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?

What profession would you not like to do?

What is your favorite word?

What is your least favorite word?

If everyone could please also follow this format for their Character Submission?

Name:
    Playbook:
    Labels:
    Freak:
    Danger:
    Savior:
    Superior:
    Mundane:

Conditions:

Afraid:
    Angry:
    Guilty:
    Insecure:
    Hopeless:

Other Status:

I have Influence on:

They have Influence on me:

Potential:
    O O O O O
    Spoiler: Name, Playbook
    Show
    Your initial character, moves, etc etc

The Quote section should be your current labels, advances and potential and Conditions marked. The spoiler area should be all the moves you have, your base labels (or anything you've changed through advances) and things like that.

Once these are all done we can get to When the Team First Game together. The order will go, so we just have it on record

Ground Zero, The Bull - We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Sunburst, The Nova - We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

The Lion, The Legacy - All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Tsunami, The Protege - We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How'd we keep in contact?

Ronin, The Scion - Someone important learned about my lineage and condemned us all. Who? Why?

Hikari, The Persona - We discovered something that incriminated my Alias. What was it and how did I cover my tracks?

Moonshadow, The Beacon - We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-06-03 at 07:03 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Name: Kai "Ground Zero" Kinsey
    Playbook: The Bull
    Labels:
    Freak: +0
    Danger: +3
    Savior: -1
    Superior: +1
    Mundane:-1

Conditions:

Afraid:
    Angry:
    Guilty: X
    Insecure:
    Hopeless:

Other Status:

I have Influence on:
    The Lion
    Sunburst

Ronin, Sunburst and The Lion

Potential:
    X X X O O

Advancements:
    -Moment of Truth unlocked

Relationships
    Ronin is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past
    The Lion is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

When the Team first came together
    We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?
    One of the Bard’s enforcers, a guy calling himself Iron Devil. He’s able to control magnetism and did some pretty crazy **** with it. He boasted about being able to whip up some sort of railgun. I’m not really sure what that is, or how it works, all I know is that I hadn’t been hurt since coming back here, yet that thing just clipped me and my shoulder is still sore.

Spoiler: Ground Zero, The Bull
    Show
    Moves
    In a China Shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
    Physics? What physics: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.
    The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
    - What are they up to?
    - What or who do they most care about?
    - What allies do they have? Enemies?
    - Where and when can I find them?
    - How could I make them vulnerable to me?
    On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.

Moment of Truth
    This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Team moves
    When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.
    When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

The Bull's Heart
    You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.
    Love: Sunburst
    Rival: The Lion
    -Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Backstory
    Who changed you? The Sorcerer, one of the Five Warlords. I was just a fifteen-year-old that had just run away from another foster home and was looking to get my hands on some cash to help me get by. Looking back I really should have known the deal was too good to be true, but then again, no-one's ever accused me of making smart decisions. By the time I realised I was in over my head, it was way too late and I was getting thrown through a rift and into a whole other plane of existence.

How did you escape from them? So there was cable right? Anchored back in the normal world so that they could pull me back out once I'd spent some time inside looking around. So with that safety measure in place, what could have possibly gone wrong? Well for starters, everything in this plane seems to be almost constantly tearing itself apart and putting itself back together differently, and did the exact same to the cable almost as soon as I went in. Then the ground dropped out beneath me and I lost track of the gate. It was here, in this constantly shifting world, that I learnt to exert my will on my surroundings, making the terrain respond to my mental commands. Pretty sure I couldn't do that back on Earth. But after two years, I eventually got good enough at it to break out and find my way home. Now back, I seem to have retained the ability to manipulate my surroundings, only problem is that this plane is a lot less malleable, and doesn't tend to go back together as well as things do in the other plane.

Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now? Mr Gray. He says he use to be a superhero, but I'm not sure. Dude looks more like a maths teacher. That said, his powers as a psychic are legit. It's how he found me after the stress of inter-planar travel put me through the mother-of-all seizures and left me convulsing on the ground and choking on my own vomit. Now, after finding out that the Warlords erased all evidence I ever existed, he's helping me rebuild a life here. I owe him a lot, so I do my best to avoid causing him trouble whenever possible.

Why do you try to be a hero? I'm not gonna lie and pretend I have some noble intentions, or that I believe the whole "with great power comes great responsibility" thing. The truth is I have an axe to grind with the Sorcerer, and by extension the rest of the Warlords. And the way I see it, the best way to do that, is to side with the Guardians.

Why do you care about the team? I'd like to say that I stick with them because I'm not dumb enough to think that I could take on the Warlords alone, but honestly... honestly I ****ed up last time I was on Earth. I had it in my head that I didn't need anyone, and pushed a lot of people away. Nothing like spending two years as the only human in an entire plane, and then coming back to a world where no one remembers you, to make you realise human connection isn't such a bad thing. That said, all that I've gone through makes it more than a little difficult to relate to 'normal' people.

Spoiler: Additional Questions
    Show
    Additional Questions
    How old are you? I was 15 when I got thrown out of this plane of existence, it was hard to keep track of time in there, but when I escaped I found out that I missed my 16 and 17th birthdays.

Who is your family? What are they like? Do they know about your powers or about you being a hero? Actual blood relatives? Never really knew them, they died when I was young so I’ve been an orphan as long as I can remember. But Mr Gray is acting as my guardian at the moment, and he’s about old enough to be my grandfather. He’s also being homeschooling me as I missed two years of school and it’s hard to re-enrol when you don’t legally exist. But that's not all he's been teaching me. While his powers are completely different in scope to mine, they both are based around using our minds, so he's been giving me a few points in that. Plus a bit of old-school boxing, as it turns out the old man was apparently one hell of a fighter in his hayday.

What is your favorite place in the city? What do you do there? I used to like the small, dark spaces where I could be alone, but now that I’m back, I like being anywhere there’s a crowd, the more the better. Though on occasion I still feel the need to be alone, and when I do, I fly myself to the top of the Hakari Shrine and stare out at the city.

What do you do when you're bored? As I said, I like to wander among the crowds in the city. But if I don’t feel like walking, Mr Gray’s gotta pretty big collection of books, mostly classical stuff but I’ve found some to actually be pretty interesting.

Who knows about your secret identity? Mr Gray and the team obviously know who I am. I haven’t been wearing a mask, which is honestly something I should probably change sometime soon, but I tend to move fast when I’m out doing hero stuff. Even if someone did grab a photo of me and run facial recognition, nothing would come up. That’s probably the only upside to the Sorcerer getting rid of every trace of me.

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? It’s kinda just driven by me not wanting to be forgotten again, but I would like to be an actor. The dream would be starring in something really great so I become unforgettable, and not just because of my new powers.

What profession would you not like to do? Anything that would involve me spending a lot of time by myself. Been there, done that, thank you very much.

What is your favorite word? Woah! What sort of person has their life so in order that they even have a favourite word? I can’t even decide on a favourite movie.

What is your least favorite word? Forgettable. Yeah, I know, big surprise, but I’m serious. I’m not running and hiding from things like I used to. The last thing I want to do is relapse into someone who avoids other, leaves no impression and is well… forgettable.
    Last edited by Catastrophic_B; 2020-05-08 at 01:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Name: Hikari/Silk
    Playbook: The Persona
    Labels:
    Freak: +1
    Danger: +2
    Savior: +0
    Mundane: -1

Conditions:

Afraid:
    Angry:
    Guilty:
    Insecure:
    Hopeless:

Other Status:

I have Influence on: The Lion, Moonshadow, Ronin, Tsunami

They have Influence on me: Moonshadow, Ronin, Sunburst, Tsunami

Potential:
    O O O O O

Relationships:
    Lanuola and I have been friends since forever however I hurt them as my Alias. They can never learn the truth.
    Ronin factors into the goals and plans of my Alias, they just don’t know it yet.

When the team first came together
    We discovered something that incriminated my Alias. What was it and how did I cover my tracks?
    Spoiler: Hikari
    Show
    Hikari, the Persona
    Civilian Name: Hikari Watsuki

Look:
    • Ambiguous, Man, Shifting, Transgressing, Woman
    • Asian or South Asian, Black, Hispanic/Latino, Indigenous, Middle Eastern, White
    • Laughing eyes, Jaded eyes, Untrusting eyes, Hateful eyes
    • Casual clothing, Practical clothing, Simple clothing, Expensive clothing
    • Simple costumes, Casual costumes, Obscuring costumes, Vainglorious costumes

Labels:
    • Danger: +2
    • Freak: +1
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: -1

Identity:
    • Hero: Superior
    • Alias: Danger

Abilities:
    • Shared ability: Impossible Fighting Skills
    • Alias ability: Shadow Control
      In her Hero persona, Hikari fights as an honorable samurai wielding the two katana Chidori and Honoo and enhancing her senses and reflexes with her Void Mind technique. In her Alias persona, Silk is a crafty ninja who uses ambush tactics and tools and fights hand-to-hand, augmented by the mysterious Scarf of Shadows.

Darkness:
    • Mission: You have lost your friends and/or family to a grave injustice. You cannot rest until they are avenged.
    • Advantages:
      -You’ve had to rely on yourself for some time. You’ve learned how to take care of your injuries, even the serious ones.
      -You’ve accumulated a lot of money in the jobs you had to take to establish your Alias.
    • Disadvantages:
      -Defeating my Darkness may unleash a monster worse than what I fight.
      -I’ve made deals with those better left unmentioned, they will come calling eventually.

When you turn to the Darkness to overcome a challenge or make headway in your mission roll + Alias Label. On a miss, the Darkness is deeper than you could imagine and you must confront it. Regardless of the outcome, mark a Condition and take -1 forward. On a hit, you’ve achieved some minor victory, take +1 forward when overcoming an obstacle or foe you must defeat to see your mission through. On a 10+, the release is cathartic. Clear a condition or mark Potential. Take one hold as well. You may spend this as if you were using Team selfishly.

Advancement: GM Birthday 2019: Take a move from another playbook [Chose Captain from Protege], Advance 1: Take a move from another playbook (Chose Been reading the files from Protege]
    Moves:
    • [X] Devil or Angel on My Shoulder: When you provoke a teammate to violent action or drastic measures as your Hero Persona, roll with your Alias Label. When you discourage a teammate from going overboard or making an action they can’t take back as your Alias Persona, roll + your Hero Label.
    • [ ] Disguised as Another Dude: When someone Pierces your Mask while in your Alias Persona, roll + your Hero Label to strengthen your front. On a miss, the real you shines through. You must answer an additional question and they take Influence over you. On a hit, you’ve confounded them, you may lie or mislead them on one of their questions. On a 10+, mark potential or take +1 forward against them as well.
    • [ ] Those Who Fight Monsters: When you successfully engage a villainous threat as your Alias Pesona you may imperil nearby civilians to choose another option from Directly Engage, even on a miss.
      When facing a teammate you may expend a Team Selfishly to play at their weaknesses, use their powers against them or bait them to foolhardy action. They mark an additional Condition as you exchange blows.
    • [ ] Persona Non Grata: When you crash an event or party as your Alias, roll + your Alias's Label. On a miss, you've leapt before you looked and find yourself in seriously hot water. Mark a Condition and prepare to fight your way out. On a hit, you've caught someone by surprise. Gain an opportunity or make an opportunity for your allies and hold one. On a 10+, hold two. Spend one to one.
      - Distract or embarrass an opponent
      - Take something when no one's looking
      - Take +1 on Directly Engaging a Foe
      - Expose a Weakness or Flaw
    • [X]Save the Light: When you step in to intervene, help a civilian, or stop a threat roll + your Hero label. On a miss, you’re made to look the fool. Mark a Condition and give ground. On a hit, you’ve got someone’s attention. Use it as an opportunity or provoke them to action. On a 10+ your foe must respond in kind or flee.
    • [ ]Twilight Emissary: The line you walk is thin and while you are a Hero, you are touched by the darkness that runs beneath your community. When dealing with a Villain (your choice) as your Hero Persona reveal a connection to your Alias and roll + your Aliases label to make a demand. On a miss, they don’t believe you. Lower your Alias Label and raise another Label. On a hit, they will do as you ask but make a demand of you as well. On a 10+ they cave, they will do as you ask to the best of their ability. Clear a Condition or gain Potential.
    • [X]Captain: When you enter battle as a team, add an extra Team to the pool and carry +1 forward if you are the leader.
    • [X]Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.

Moment of Truth:
    The Darkness is an ever-hungry force you’ve circled around for a long time, but many misunderstand that it’s neither a force for good nor evil. The longer you’ve spent in the Darkness the clearer you have seen it for what it really is and it has afforded insights into the world others might miss. Answer a question that no one wants answered or silence opposition using your new knowledge. When all is said and done however, the question of which side of the line you straddle is closer to being answered. Expect those in the Light to turn their backs on you and for those who hide in the deeper Darkness to come calling.

Team Moves
    • When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how you really need moments like these to keep you grounded. Clear a Condition. If they offer to help you stay mellow, clear an additional Condition and they clear a Condition.
    • When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them what levels they’d stoop to to get what they want. If they open up, clear a Condition and exchange Influence. If they refuse to answer, lower your Hero Label by 1 and raise your Alias Label by 1 or vice versa. Add a Team to the Pool regardless of their answer.

When our team first came together...
    We discovered something that incriminated my Alias. What was it and how did the Team feel about it? How did I cover my tracks?
    Relationships:
    • Lanuola and I have been friends since forever however I hurt them as my Alias. They can never learn the truth.
    • Ronin factors into the goals and plans of my Alias, they just don’t know it yet.

Influence:
    If you exemplify your Hero Persona, give Influence to two teammates. If you exemplify your Alias Persona, give Influence to one.

Spoiler: Influence
    Show
    I have Influence Over: The Lion, Moonshadow, Ronin, Tsunami
    They have Influence Over Me: Moonshadow, Ronin, Sunburst, Tsunami
    They have Lost Influence over Me:
    • None

Show

What led you into the Darkness?
    When I was 12, my parents were killed in an attack by some no-name second-string villain. They weren't even targets, they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. "Collateral damage," the police report said. They were victims of the senseless violence that the Warlord system perpetuates.

Jin the Chickadee took me in after that, and for awhile, I had a family again. A petty, dysfunctional family, but it was better than nothing. A lot better. The Weather Report gave me purpose. Jin trained me, taught me to control my anger. To sharpen it and wield it like a katana.

I thought I could be like a daughter to him, but I was never more than a tool. And the moment I was no longer useful, he cast me aside, just like he did Chidori and Honoo. Starling always said he would, but I always thought it was just to get under my skin. I hate him for being right. And I hate myself for not seeing the truth in his words until it was too late.

It wasn't long after that that the Weather Report fell, collapsing under the weight of their own sins. From the inside, I hadn't been able to see what was clear as day once I was out. The whole city was infected, corrupted. The Guardians' own reckoning came swiftly after. Only the Warlords remained, somehow unscathed. The establishment of the city had allowed criminals to roam unmolested, complicit in the sanctioned crime. They failed San Fransapporo. They failed me. And they didn't even have the decency to take the Warlords with them on their way down. Left the mess for somebody else to clean up. Somebody like me.

I was lost for a time. Ronin. Just me, the swords, and the scarf. No master, no honor, no family. Koto-sensei found me then. She met me in my wandering, showed me a different path. We trained in secret, places of shadow. She helped me to unlock the powers of the scarf, and ronin became ninja. Like a blade reforged - new edge, same purpose.

The Warlords are seemingly impervious from the outside. They can only be brought down from within. It was the last lesson Jin the Chickadee passed down to his pupil Hikari. My goal could only be achieved by walking a new path. Into darkness, as smooth as silk.

Who, outside the team, works to pull you back into the Light?
    Dr. Heller is the counselor at the meta-human orphanage that I volunteer at. He’s been giving me free counseling sessions as a thank you for the work I’ve been doing. I wasn’t into the idea at first, but after I started training with Koto-sensei, I began to have trouble with my Void Mind meditation and it was difficult to focus in battle. I finally gave in, and the counseling turned out to be surprisingly helpful.

Now we have sessions every two weeks. He doesn’t know about Silk, but I can tell he suspects something. He does a lot of research in meta psychology, and his counseling focuses on conquering internalized trauma. The kids at the orphanage call it “inner darkness”. He says I have a lot of it. He doesn’t know that I need that darkness to finish what I started. But I still need the light, too. Our sessions help me keep balanced, and I’d probably be lost without him.

What kind of terrible consequences will there be if you're discovered to be the same person as your Alias?
    Mine is just one secret in a tangled web that no one, except maybe Koto-sensei, knows the true extent of. And just like a web, if my secret becomes untangled, the whole delicate weave might collapse. What happens then is anyone's guess, but I know one thing for certain. If I fail, if I once again prove to be useless, I will be discarded again like a broken knife. It would be the death of Silk. And probably the death of Hikari, too.

Why do you continue to be a Hero in the face of your Darkness?
    It wasn’t difficult to learn to be Silk. It was almost trivial to cast off empathy and compassion and kindness and become the kind of ruthless operative that could rise high amongst the Warlords. And that’s a terrifying thing.

In order to succeed, I have to resist that corruption. I need to see good in the world, I need to do good in the world. To remind myself that it’s worth fighting for. If I lose sight of Hikari, then my parents will have died for nothing. I can’t let that happen.

Why do you care about the team?
    We are in a new era. We are buffeted by turbulence and conflict. New battle lines are being drawn, and everybody wants to know whose side you're on. With Jin, I was supposed to be on the Weather Report's side. The Warlords think Silk is on their side. Koto-sensei commands Silk to her side.

But the team? They're on my side. My first family was killed. My second family threw me away. But with the team, maybe Hikari can find a third family. Time will tell if it can last, but damn if it's not good to have brothers in arms again.

Show

How old are you?
    I turned eighteen a few months ago.

Who is your family? What are they like? Do they know about your powers or about you being a hero?
    My parents were killed. I don't even know if I have other family. Maybe back in Japan? Even if I do, I guess they probably don't know. Though if they Googled me, it'd probably be pretty easy to figure out, I guess. I'm not exactly a secret.

The River Market Bathhouse! It's the best place for serious relaxation. They've got every kind of bath you could want! Steam room, sauna, Turkish bath, ice baths, giant bath tubs (the bath bombs are magical. Literally.). There's even a Japanese hot spring! The meditation waterfall was Master Jin's favorite. And the massage therapists on staff can handle pretty much anything. Ask for Wei Lin, sometimes they call her Icepick. Oh, and there's this great ice cream shop on the same block!

Boredom is a state of mind. The state that says "I don't have enough going on in my life." I've got Warlords to fight, I'm mastering calligraphy, I have meditation, training, more training, and I volunteer at an orphanage. I have plenty going on in my life.

I don't have a secret identity. I've been Jin's apprentice for years, and I never hid behind a mask. Everybody knows who I am and what I stand for, and that's the way it ought to be.

Oh. You mean that identity. I've been careful with that. Dr. Heller suspects something, but I think the only person who knows that I'm Silk is Koto-sensei. I can't let my team find out, especially not Cindy or Lanuola. And if the Warlords find out, then Silk has no purpose.

Mayor of San Fransapporo. First order of business would be to get rid of the Warlords. After that, we can start really cleaning up this town.

I guess if I had to pick something normal...I dunno? Maybe run an ice cream shop? Everybody likes ice cream. Vanilla is an underrated flavor, you know. People think it's plain, but it's not! Have you ever had sweet cream? That's the real plain flavor. Vanilla is nuanced and subtle. Chocolate gets a better reputation because cheap vanilla is terrible but cheap chocolate is still alright. But a good vanilla blows chocolate out of the water, hands down! Also, everybody raves about green tea ice cream, but red bean is just better. And don't even get me started on ice cream versus custard...

Insurance adjuster. Dad worked at Citinsure, and he worked late a lot. Most days he might show up for dinner and then disappear for the rest of the night. And after the Warlords, there are a few CEOs on my Defenestration List.

"Defenestration". Did we really need a word for that? Probably not. But I'm glad we do. Tat way I can call it my Defenestration List instead of a Hit List.

Do you even have to ask? "Warlord".
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2020-01-12 at 07:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Name: Maxwell (Max) Aman
    Playbook: Protégé
    Labels:
    Freak: 0
    Danger: -1
    Savior: +3
    Superior: +2

Conditions:

Afraid:
    Angry:
    Guilty: X
    Insecure:
    Hopeless:

Other Status:

I have Influence on:
    The Lion, Hikari, Ronin, Tumult

Hikari, Ronin, The Lion, Tumult, Sunburst

Potential:
    X X X O O

Spoiler: Tsunami, The Protégé
    Show
    Name: Maxwell (Max) Aman
    Alias: Tsunami
    Playbook: Protégé
    Ability: Impossible Fighting Skills. Despite his age and size, Tsunami commands impressive physical strength and endurance. Which he needs, for wielding the two handed kanabō mace used as his preferred weapon.

Shared Ability: Elemental Control (Tsunami: Water / The Smith: Lava )
    • Unlike what people might suspect from his name, Tsunami generally uses this ability to create and utilize steam to augment his armor, weapons, and movements. Whether it’s wrapping his mace in a wreath of scalding vapor, or adding extra pressure behind a blow, it finds a way to make the absolute bruiser a true terror of physical force.

Mentor’s Ability: Powerful Armor

Mentor: The Smith
    Mentor Embodies: Freak
    Mentor Denies: Mundane

Mentor’s Resources:
    • A hidden base, in the River District. Appearing as a storefront butting up against one of the canals, Max has the top floor as a personal living space. There is a basement level however that is outfitted for the team’s use, having a hidden entrance for security and privacy.
      Spoiler: Base idea
      Show
    • Teleportal: There are a few discreet teleportals set throughout the city, that exit into the base.
    • A weapon of last resort. (TBA)
    • Security systems to protect the base and teleportals. Improved blast doors on the base, with entrances to the base and teleportals monitored and guarded by cameras and shock pylons.
    • A super computer for Ronin and Chisei.
    • A fabricator. Essentially a beefed up 3D printer, for simple tools and items.
    • Drones. The team can call in for supply drops, facilitated by the fabricator if necessary and coordinated by Chisei and the super computer.

Labels

Freak: 0

Potential: X X X O O

Conditions

Afraid: (-2 to directly engage)
    Angry: (-2 to comfort or support or pierce the mask)
    Guilty: (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation)
    Insecure: (-2 to defend someone or reject what others say)
    Hopeless: (-2 to unleash your powers)

Appearance
    • ambiguous, man, shifting, transgressing, woman
    • Asian or South Asian, Black, Hispanic/Latino, Indigenous, Middle Eastern, White
    • athletic body, compact body, lean body, muscular body
    • school uniform, casual clothes, fashionable clothes, loose clothes
    • colorful costume, mentor’s garb, protective wear, simple costume

Spoiler: General Look
    Show

Spoiler: Costume
    Show

A bit of a mix, he has some Middle Eastern heritage though his exact background isn’t easily determinable at first glance. With tanned skin a warm tone, his facial features are still somewhat boyish; just barely a man. Dark hazel eyes hold a fiery determination but lack the wisdom of a more seasoned soldier, though his expression is often hardened with a grim stubbornness that does not quite fit his age.

Topping out at just barely 5'7" in height and on the lean side of muscled, Max might not appear particularly intimidating in stature alone. However, the young man moves with a firm presence, one that is uncompromising and undaunted. Dark auburn hair has streaks in a mixture of tones from black to bright red; with the sides of his head shaved, the rest of often pulled up into a topknot at the back, though often rogue strands fall free to frame his face.

While his typical civilian gear tends to consist of plain dark jeans, combat boots, and a dusty leather jacket, when out and about as Tsunami his gear tends to have a bit more flare, with a mixture of elements old and new. A modern Shoulder, arm, and leg armour are designed with samurai aesthetic in mind, though engineered to make use of his steam powers. A traditional hakama tucks into his shin guards, which end above a pair of thick soled boots. The signature piece of his costume is a blue Oni mask that covers the lower half of his face. Paired with the massive kanabō he wields, his appearance in costume is a touch more menacing than where his morals actually lie.

MOVES

Fireside Chat: When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.

Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.

Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.

Before We Get Started: When you take the time to closely observe your opposition before a battle, roll + Savior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1 and mark a condition. During battle, you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to name a character you observed and...:
    • ...redirect their attack to another character or nowhere—into a wall or the sky.
    • ...cross a distance between them and you.
    • ...disarm them.
    • ...ignore all harm to yourself from one of their attacks.
    • ...escape any bindings or restrictions they attempt to place on you.

Moment of Truth
    The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose…

Team Moves
    When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or effective team mate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential.
    If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

Relationships
    You and Hikari teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.
    Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on Ground Zero.

Influence
    Spoiler
    Show

I have Influence over
    The Lion
    Hikari
    Ronin
    Tumult

They have Influence over me
    Hikari
    Ronin
    The Lion
    Tumult
    Sunburst

They have lost Influence over me

Advancements
    • Took 4 more mentor resources. Security systems, a super computer, a fabricator, and drones.

Show
    I don’t know my real family, my blood family. I was put into the foster system as a baby. Real f***ing sad, I know. More like, cliché. So I guess it doesn’t really matter what they were like, whoever they were they didn’t want me. I don't have much information either, but I know I was turned over by blood, so it was a choice and not an accident. Somewhere out there is another ‘Aman’, probably an a**hole.

For whatever reason, the foster program had trouble placing me with a family. My earliest memories are in foster families, but I got cycled through a couple group homes as well. It never really stuck. The closest thing I have to family now is Baasan, The Smith. It’s a little weird, thinking of her like that sometimes, but it’s almost… a good feeling, I guess. I try not to get attached.

Anyway, my first foster families didn’t know about my powers, and neither did I really. I just thought I was strong. I sort of kept them hidden at first, when I realized. I’ve always had anger issues though… My last ‘family’, it kind of just came out. I punched a wall and… well, the hole it left, didn’t leave any questions to that end.

Thing is, I wasn’t living in San Fran at the time, I’d been born and raised in Halycon City, where not everyone just accepts that metas whole heartedly. It’s a mixed bag, especially, I imagine, when it’s not your kid, by blood. I took a chance though. Hunter Laine was my foster dad, and we’d been close enough that I thought maybe it would be okay. I’d even thought that he might consider adopting me himself, eventually. I thought he knew me well enough to trust me and my intentions. I never would have hurt him or anyone else, that didn’t deserve it.

He was patient while I had my meta ‘coming out’ conversation with him, but serious. It was bad timing I guess, he was about to leave on a business trip. He promised we’d figure it out when he returned in a few days. But he didn’t. And we didn’t. Instead, the next day the foster organization picked me up. Hunter couldn’t even tell me straight to my face. He just let someone else make the ‘problem’... go away. I never saw him again. I guess I wouldn’t want to.

Now the organization knew about my powers too, and were trying to figure out what to do with me. They talked about sending me somewhere more friendly to ‘weirds’. Transfering me to one of their affiliate programs in another city. I got ahold of Xiua though, and he helped drive me to San Fransapporo ourselves. I’ve never had anyone come looking for me, so I guess they didn’t much care about losing track of me either. ‘Lost in the system.’

I’ve been slowly making a name for myself now here in San Fran. I never really wanted the attention, but sometimes having a name can be useful, I guess. I’d been learning how to utilize my powers slowly but surely, and trying my hand at vigilantism. Mostly looking out for other kids, because it sucks not having someone you can trust to watch your back. Though ‘Tsunami’ is the alias I use, I’ve picked up on some kids calling me… uh, well… Oni-chan. Never heard that pun used before, but I’ll take it. Now that I have Baasan’s guidance, I hope to make a bigger difference as well, because the place sure could use some no-bulls**t heroes in my opinion.

Spoiler: Backstory Questions
    Show

How did you first meet your mentor?
    There was a Gala being thrown at the Monsoon, some time ago. All the big heroes and anyone who’s anyone shows up, sort of deal. I was skeptical about going, it’s not exactly my jam, but in the end I did attend. For the most part it just confirmed my feelings that even some of the big names everyone idolizes… are just as much of jerks as anyone else. There’s just as much corruption in organizations of heroes as there are any other. But that’s irrelevant to answer the question.

At some point, all hell broke loose. In the middle of that was where I met The Smith. I didn’t really put two together at the time, that this was THE Smith, capital T: The. The famed lavasmith. I just saw that she’d taken a pretty strong hit, and someone was about to try and kick her while she was reeling. At least, I thought she was reeling. Either way, there was no question to me what to do, I dove in between. I feel pretty stupid about it now, at least she certainly didn’t let me live it down afterwards, trying to ‘protect’ someone like her. I don’t remember much after I dove in front of her, turns out if someone is strong enough to make The Smith pause… they’re too strong for me to take on, just yet. I think she ended up carrying me out afterwards… sort of embarrassing.

When and why did you choose to train with them?
    I didn’t even really remember fully what happened in the aftermath of the Gala, but she invited me to meet with her afterwards, to thank me and chide me at the same time. When I realized exactly who she was, that she was the most famous smith ever… I mean, I wasn’t going to say no. I’m not crazy.
    I don’t generally get along with older heroes, but her I respect, greatly. I was a little unsure all the same, I don’t really like to put myself in a position where I can be let down, but... I’ve always been interested in forging and metalcrafting myself as well, so I may have been… unusually enthusiastic. But I guess she liked that too. I admit It was the first time in a long time I really felt excited about anything. I really was humbled by her offer to learn from her, and despite my usual reservations, I guess some part of me was even eager to accept.

Why did they agree to train you?
    She liked my ‘moxxy’ as she calls it, but decided I could benefit with a little more wisdom, wisdom she could provide. I think the fact that I had an interest in her and her craft helped too, because it meant she could teach me more than just the usual How Not To Die hero stuff.

Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?
    Xiua’Hi, one of my only real friends. He’s pretty solid, a bit volatile maybe sometimes, but who am I to talk. We butted heads a little at first, but he warmed up really fast. He’s also really good at video games... frustratingly good. Especially at shooters.
    He also... helped me out at a time where I really didn’t have anyone to turn to. I didn’t know him well enough to ask for the amount of help I needed, but he came through. I owe him a lot for that.

It helped having someone who has to deal with the same sort of s**t though; Xiua doesn’t have a ‘family’ so to speak either, not one he’s in touch with anyway, so I guess we get each other, a bit. He’s a meta too, and I know he’s getting training from someone but… honestly, I’m afraid to know who. I told Xiua all about my own delving into vigilante-hood, and eventually being taken on by The Smith. I’ve also learned that he might… be using his own powers for less than savory means. It’s a point of contention between us, that I intend to deal with at some point.

Because I care about people, even if I don’t always like them… don’t like people, that is. Not… the team. I know it’s been a bad habit of mine to try and solve everything on my own, but… like I said, I’m trying to change that. I want to help people. More hands… makes that easier to do. Means we can help more people. We’re all trying to make the world a little better. Whatever their reasons for wanting that, and even if we don’t always agree on everything, I appreciate them for trying.

Show

How old are you?
    I just turned 17.

I don’t know my blood family, and the last foster family I’d like to forget. (See: Backstory. Re: Hunter Laine.)
    I don’t really care what anyone else thinks about my powers or my being a hero. They can fight me if they have a problem with it, or get out of my way.

I guess it’d be pretty lame to say ‘my house’. It it’s the first time I’ve felt like I had a place that was really… mine. It took a while to accept that, too. I’d still say that technically it belongs to The Smith. But it is somewhere I can be alone, and safe.

I don’t particularly like crowds, but the River District has the best food I’ve ever encountered. It’s worth the slight claustrophobia to take a wander through there. It may sound simple but I guess my favourite spot would be sitting on the roof of my place with some fresh street food, just watching the sky and the river.

I train. Or I make something. I have a small workshop in my rooms. It’s nothing like The Smith’s forges, but I can still prototype ideas and keep my hands busy.

The Smith and the team, obviously. And Xiua’Hi. My… best friend. I’m not really close to anyone else, and I’m not a San Fran native. There wasn’t really anyone else to tell. Hopefully the fact that I’m not well known means it’s a secret easily enough kept.

Huh. It’s hard to imagine doing anything else. This was my choice, after all. I don’t know if being a ‘hero’ is a profession exactly, though. It’s just that I don’t know if I could ever keep my nose out of business that isn’t mine. If I see something wrong, I want to fix it, I want to help. I guess in another life, without these powers, I could have ended up as a fireman… or a cop.

I’d like to continue honing my skills as a smith though. Maybe someday that will be a ‘profession’ of mine.

Anything ‘customer service’. I’d never last. Let me do anything where I don’t have to deal with people and be forced to pretend to be nice regardless of their attitude. Some people need to hear ‘no’.

No. When I get to say it.

Inevitable.
    Last edited by The_Specialist; 2020-01-12 at 06:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Superhero Name: Sunburst
    Playbook: The Nova

Labels:
    Danger: +1
    Freak: +2
    Superior: +0
    Mundane: +0

Conditions:
    Afraid
    Angry
    Guilty
    Hopeless
    Insecure

Influence on:

Mosi

Hikari

Moonshadow

Tsunami

Influenced by (Locked Down):

Adults

Moonshadow

Ronin

Potential:
    ø ø o o o
    Spoiler: Lanuola, the Nova
    Show
    Superhero Name: Sunburst
    Playbook: The Nova

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

Labels:
    Danger: +1
    Freak: +2
    Superior: +0
    Mundane: +0

Conditions:
    Afraid
    Angry
    Guilty
    Hopeless
    Insecure

Influence on:

Mosi

Hikari

Moonshadow

Tsunami

Influenced by (Locked Down):

Moonshadow

Ronin

Adults

Potential:
    ø ø o o o

Advancements:

Take a move from another playbook - Wish I could be - When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll +Freak instead of +Mundane.

Christmas Bonus Move - Unstoppable - When you smash your way through scenery to get to or get away from something, roll +Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition, leave something behind, or take something with you. On a miss, you smash through, but leave devestation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM's choice.

Powers – Lanuola has control over the elemental force of light. She is capable of using her powers in a variety of ways, from destructive blasts of energy, to blinding flashes, to shimmering shields. Her own insecurities about both the nature and the safety of her abilities keep her from testing her limits, and has lead to a preference for more defensive expressions of her abilities.

Burn and Flares

Held Burn

Shielding

You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

Moat

Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

Reality Storm

You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

Snatch

Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.

Relationships

You hang out all the time with Moonshadow to blow off steam.

You once hurt Ground Zero when you lost control of your powers.

Spoiler: Backstory questions
    Show

"Uhh, sure... What do you want to know?"

When did you first use your powers?"

"I’m told I was pretty young. I don’t really remember when I started myself. It was, uh, it was pretty innocent to start with. I used to make lights so that I could play shadow puppets with Cindy… I’m told it freaked tama and tina out a bit. They didn’t expect to have a kid who was a meta, I guess. And, well, they kinda just got stronger from there. I couldn’t control the colour of the light, it’s always been just bright white, but I could do pretty much anything else with it. Accidentally burned through a lot of things because I’d focus it too much, sometimes I’d flare up when I was anxious. Crowds always got me nervous. Wasn’t too bad when I’d just glow a bit, but when I started to get blindingly bright? That wasn’t fun. Drew everyone’s attention, made it worse, got more people looking. Not a fun feedback loop. I can control it way better with tuafafine around, though. And she always wanted to make sure I was safe, too.

Who was the first person you hurt with your powers?

"… I… Couldn’t always have my family around me. Part of growing up is going to school. Unfortunately, part of school is bullying. I was fine for the first few years. I’d been looking forward to it, so I was relaxed through the first parts of school. It’s only when I hit my teens that my anxieties started kicking in with real force. Changing to a bigger school was worrying, suddenly there were a lot more people around, and I barely knew anyone. Cindy was there, and that helped a little, but she couldn’t come to class with me, and she had her own friends too. So I had to make my own way. I had a minor freak out in the corridors between classes one day, too many people around me, felt like people were staring at me. I started to glow, and that actually drew a lot of attention, that got me brighter and I ended up burning holes through some of my clothes. Somehow I made it to class, teachers had already been given a heads up with what was up with me, so I was quietly maneuvered to the back of the class room before anyone else could comment. Got myself more under control in class, still was glowing a bit, but not nearly as bad. Then the bell rang and it was time for lunch.

When I left the class room, I got stopped in the corridor. Tamara was stood outside, waiting for me. She started making fun of me, saying how I must be poor to have holes in my clothes, laughing about how I lit up ‘like a christmas tree’. Wasn’t very original, or clever, but it got me embarrassed. I started to glow again. She, uh, she must’ve thought that was a sign of weakness. Started really needling me, calling me ‘lightbulb’, ‘tinkerbell’, ‘freak’…

I could feel myself getting brighter and brighter as she kept going, could smell fabric burning. I tried asking her to stop, she ignored me. So I tried walking away, and she grabbed my arm. That… Was where things started going really wrong. I think she burned herself on me. Yelled out in pain, started drawing people from other classrooms out to see what was going on. She started cursing at me, other people started joining in, calling me a monster, a danger. I couldn’t handle it. Felt like my skin was on fire. Everything whited out around me, couldn’t see because it was all just too bright. Just heard panicked yells, Tamara screaming. Then I think I passed out.

I don’t think I was out very long. Came to lying on the floor. Tiles were scorched really badly under me, could smell smoke and burned meat. There was a cordon in the corridor. Bunch of people being given treatment for minor burns. Tamara was lying not far from me. Could tell it was her from her bag and clothes. She had firemen over her, giving first aid for third degree burns…

Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?

"I still can’t believe I wasn’t kicked out of school. I was suspended for a few months but, uh, but I was let back in provided I underwent mandatory counselling. Had to have a supervisor with me through the school day, too. She’s, uh, she’s called Dr. Fletcher. Specialises in child psychology and, uh, and how emotions impact meta-human ability expression. She’s really supportive. Taught me a lot of tricks to, uh, to fight back my anxieties when they flare up. Umm, and she’s on hand at school if things get really bad.

I asked her once if, uh, if she was scared I’d lose control next to her like I did with Tamara. She said it was, uh, it was a risk she was willing to take. Said I was really special to her. I… Think she meant that in a nice way. I don’t think I’m just a, uh, a case study for her.

Why do you continue to use your powers?

"It’s actually tuafafine that made me want to keep going. She’s trying to be a hero, even though she’s got no powers at all. And… And I want to help her reach her dream. I don’t know how much help I can be but, uh, but she’s always been so helpful for me, I want to return the favour. And I’m hoping that I can learn to do some good in the process. It’s, uh, it’s hard work learning to be careful with my powers, but I think it’ll be worth it.

"They’re not scared of me. At least, I don’t think they are. I feel like they’re the kind of people that I might be able to just kinda hang out with. And of course Cindy trusts them. Which just kinda proves they’re the right people to fight with.

Show
    "Uhh, sure, what else did you want to know?"

How old are you?

"I'm, uh, I'm fifteen. Sixteen in, uh, in March."

"I've got quite a big family. I live with, uh, with my tuafafine, tama, tina, tamamatua, and tinamatua. We live near my tama's tuagane, too. He's, uh, he's the one we all listen to. Or I guess at least, the one we're meant to listen to. And then there's all the rest of the aiga too. It's... A lot of people. Kinda overwhelming at times. Pretty much all of them know about my powers, too. Some of them are wary of me, some of the younger ones think it's cool. A few of them even try and get me to join the marines.

It's... Odd..? The way they see me being a hero, that is. I don't get as much flak as, uh, as Cindy does. Which is kinda unfair. She thinks it's because I don't know how to throw a punch. Which, to be honest, feels even weirder. You'd think they'd be happier if I did know how to fight.
    "

"I like relaxing in the park. It's usually kinda quiet, the people that are around keep to themselves. I can just lie down in the grass, or sit against a tree. Read some books. Even if I get embarrassed and start glowing, it's light enough in the day that people don't really notice. I see people doing yoga and Tai Chi from time to time too. I'm, uh, I'm trying to work up the courage to try and join in."

"I like to read. Mostly fiction, sometimes not. People watching can be fun, too. Just, y'know, find a bench and watch the world go by. It's kinda relaxing though, uh, though I have to make sure I do it from a distance. Feels a bit too much like stalking if I'm right on top of the people I'm watching."

"I don't know if it's, uh, if it's really a secret identity. My family all know. Cindy knows. The, uh, the team knows. I... Don't know if people at school know, but they probably do. It's, uh, it's not hard to join the dots to figure out that the hero running around with light powers is also the one with light powers and a hard time with control at school."

"It's... Kinda a weird answer, but I'd like to just work retail... I don't think I've got the, uh, the confidence for it right now. But, umm, it feels like it'd be a really grounded line of work. Just, uh, just nice and simple. Maybe I could end up with my own cafe or something, I think that'd be nice."

"A lot of my family want to, uh, to join the army. I'd hate that. A lot. I think most of them know that, too. Nobody's really trying to, uh, to push me into fighting. At least, not seriously. It's, uh, it's kind of a relief to be honest."

"Effervescent. It's cheesy to say, but I light up a bit when people call me that. It's never really used as, uh, as an insult."

"Lightbulb. Tinkerbell. F-freak. I-I, uh... Y-yeah..."
    Last edited by Comissar; 2020-05-30 at 10:53 AM.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Name: Cindy Auva'a
    Hero Name: Moonshadow
    Playbook: Beacon
    Labels:
    Freak: -1
    Danger: +0
    Savior: +2
    Mundane:+1

Conditions:
    Afraid:
    Angry: X
    Guilty:
    Insecure:
    Hopeless: X

Other Status:
    I have Influence on:
    Hikari
    Lanuola
    Mosi

Hikari
    Lanuola
    Mosi

Potential:
    X X X O O

Spoiler: Moonshadow, The Beacon
    Show

Identity
    Hero Name: Moonshadow
    Abilities: Camouflage and Stealth, Swords
    Spoiler: Power Description
    Show
    Cindy's attempts to keep up with her younger sister express themselves in a desire to excel where her sister does not, given the ridiculousness of direct competition. As a result, Cindy has intentionally cultivated the ability to slip into the shadows when it suits her, in a stark departure from her usual confident demeanour. The art of appearing aggressively bland and normal is a difficult one to master, but Cindy feels like she has captured the essence of it in time.

Of course, mere stealth makes for a coward, not a hero, and so Cindy has also set herself the task of outdoing her sister in the martial arts. This is not, perhaps, a very high bar to cross, but Cindy has now moved beyond merely exceeding her sister's non-existent skill to something approaching competence, if not mastery. The Nifo Oti that was a family heirloom, hanging from a wall in the village, is now used once again although it probably, she must also admit, does help to have ex-marines as grandparents.

Detailed Appearance
    Look: Woman, Smiling Face, Stylish Clothing, Iconic Costume
    Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    Cindy is tall, a little lean perhaps, but still larger than the average girl. Usually she wears her hair back in a braid, sometimes with the tips dyed pink or blue as it suits her, although the colours are carefully removed before she visits any of her many relatives. Out of costume she prefers to wear a t-shirt and a pair of slightly scruffy jeans, usually with a denim jacket slung over one shoulder.

In costume, Cindy prefers something a little more dramatic. A pair of military grey trousers is urbane enough, but above the waist Cindy prefers a corselet of overlapping plates, each decorated in a dark, almost black, brown and stark white patterns. Around her neck is hung a necklace of shark's teeth (which is, as she has discovered, a useful cover for concealing other things, like a set of lock-picks). The piece de resistance of this ensemble, however, is the long hooked club she carries in one hand.

The Nifo Oti is something a family heirloom, the weapon her distant ancestors carried to battle, or so her grandmother says. The three-foot long haft is decorated with geometric patterns, while the head is covered with swirling designs. A row of shark's teeth is embedded into one side of the club, while the other is blunt except for a vicious hook at the tip. The grandparents will claim that it whispers advice in the dead of night, but really, it is scary enough already…

Labels;
    Freak: -1
    Savior: +2
    Mundane: +2

Potential: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Conditions:
    Afraid: (-2 to directly engage)
    Angry: (-2 to comfort or support or pierce the mask)
    Guilty: (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation)
    Insecure: (-2 to defend someone or reject what others say)
    Hopeless: (-2 to unleash your powers)

Moment of Truth
    This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation...

Moves
    -Straight. Up. Creepin’.: When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask two. On a 7-9, ask one.
    - what’s my best way in/out?
    - what happened here recently?
    - what here is worth grabbing?
    - who or what here is not what they seem?
    - whose place is this?
    On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why this is a bad spot.
    - Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

Team Moves
    When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

Drives:
    - help a teammate when they most need you.
    - stop a fight with calm words.
    - get a new costume.
    - reject someone who tells you “you shouldn’t be here.”

Influence
    I have Influence over:
    Lanuola
    Mosi

They have influence over me:
    Hikari
    Lanuola
    Mosi

Relationships
    Mosi is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
    "Dude's chill. I respect that. Do I take 'every chance' to be around him? Meh, but he's cool. Honestly, both of us are busy enough that the chance of me and him having loads of time to hang, if he wanted to, is like zero. But, hey, if the one-in-a-million happens, I'd be down."

You’ve got to prove yourself to Lanuola before you feel like a real hero.
    "Oh, stop looking at me like that. Look, uso, I don't actually care that much what the rest of the world thinks. That's my sister's gig, not mine. But, saying all that, family matters. Always does, and my sis almost more than anyone. So, yeah, I've tried to be her hero for most of my life, and I do care if she thinks I've made it or not."

When the team first came together
    We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?
    “So, Iron Devil, he was kinda… funky, and not in a good way. It was like he wasn’t really seeing us, thought he was fighting someone else. Like, at the end, Mosi’s jumped him and is doing the punchy thing, but he’s sorta snarling and he shouts something about ‘Goliath Gecko’? It was weird, anyway.

And so we knock him out, and then we’re all standing around. GZ’s trying not to bleed too conspicuously, and sis is like, this close from a panic attack, and then Hikari pipes up, like “hey these tats are weird”, but not quite like that, ‘cause she’s like, trying to be cool. But yeah, he had this weird set of tattoos going around his neck, like a collar. They were black, and they kinda moved when you stopped looking at them. We all look at them for a while, and we all agreed that there was something kinda familiar about them, but I couldn’t work out what it was.

It was Ronin who worked it out, of course. Who else? She pointed out that they looked a whole lot around like Impact’s tattoos, and yeah, that kinda jogged something in my memory. She’s this kinda obscure b-lister who was involved with those kids with the dragon and all that. I wouldn’t have remembered her, but she was speaking at the funeral for the one that died, or turned into an ice spirit, or something. I think everyone’s fuzzy on that one. It was televised, anyway, ‘cause she did save the city, and then Impact was the main event.

Anyway, they were. Impact’s do that whole creepy move when you’re not looking at them too. We still haven’t worked out the connection, but it seems kinda important. Ronin did some digging on what was up with Impact’s tats, came back with no dice, and uso, that’s saying something. So yeah, we’ve started to look into it, you might say.”

Backstory
    How did you gain your skills?
    “So, it was, it was when I was, like about sixteen, and Lanuola, you know, my sister, was fourteen. She was always… different, but things started to get real bad, this would have been a couple of months before her, uh, accident, and I started hearing some bad things that people were saying. I tracked down the girl, she was called Tamara, I think, and told her to stop. I wasn’t going to hurt her, or anything, just report her, if it came too that. Mom would have killed me if I’d hit anyone, honest to god. But, anyway, she had a boyfriend, and she must have made it seem like I was a monster, or something. That would have been just after, I, you know, ‘transitioned’, and so it was easy, I guess.

Anyway, I ended up with a few bruises, and I when I dragged myself home with my tail between my legs, tinamatua was waiting in the living room, and she was like “are you going to let them do this to you?” and of course I said no. It started off as self-defence, just boxing, and then tamamatua got involved, and the Nifo Oti was his idea. I started getting good after a while, but only used it once, ‘cause after my sis set someone on fire, you don’t get trouble anymore. But I kept practicing, and then there was all, you know, this.”

When did you first put on your costume?
    “It was my idea, for sis. After the whole burning, which was horrible, but the girl was asking for it, they were trying to tell her that she was the problem, you know. It was all you gotta change, you gotta be this kind of person, when people try and hurt you you can’t hurt them back. And I’m not saying that self-control is a bad thing, but she was kinda shrinking into to herself, and that wasn’t a good thing. So I had this idea that she should join a team, to give her some things to burn.

And then, ‘cause she’s stupid sometimes, she wouldn’t ‘cause she thought they wouldn’t want her. So I made it my goal, and dragged her along. It’s not like she doesn’t want to, deep down, she just needs the push to keep moving. Tinamatua helped me make my costume, it’s as much her idea as mine. And then, when something came up, I had everything already, and sis wasn’t going to refuse that, so we went out to fight.”

Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?
    “My family is pretty good about, everything, but they’re also not. To be Fa’aSamoa means that there’s ways of doing things, of being, you know, trans, being a hero as well. Not my dad, but his older brother, he doesn’t approve of the way I am. To him, it’s an either/or thing, fa’afafine or a fighter, but not both. And that matters, ‘cause he’s the head of the aiga, and he used to be a hero once. I mean, most of the boys in our family have been through the army, but after he came back he was a vigilante for a bit, before he had kids. So he knows people, and that’s a problem.”

Why do you try to be a hero?
    “Its, like, not for me. I mean, I don’t mind, someone needs to keep sis from hiding under her bed. With her powers she should be better than me, though I’m trying to make it hard for her. Until she learns to get off her ass on her own, I’ll be there, pushing things along. Anyway, if I want to make the Green Berets, this is good practice.”

“Because they don’t treat sis like crap, it’s like, easy, right, but nobody actually does it. They seem like a good bunch, anyway. I mean, maybe not all of them, but enough. They’ll do, for now, until the Green Berets.”

Show
    How Old Are You?
    "I turn eighteen next February. Only a year and a bit of school left, fricking finally."

“The fam? There’s plenty of them, at least. Like, there’s Mum and Dad, Tinamatua and Tamamatua, two uncles and three aunties, another twelve cousins, and that’s before you include the rest back in Samoa. We’re a big family to Palagi, but pretty average for us.

With that many of us, you could say that there’s a bit of everything. Most of the boys have been through the military one way or another, and these days a lot of the girls are joining up too. A few of us went different ways, some been through the gangs, one of my uncle’s in prison for a mandatory minimum. ‘Bout three-quarts of us are here in San Fran, one or two further north, an auntie in New Zealand, and a few still working the tuna factory back in Samoa.

Do they know… Uso, you gotta be joking - of course they do. It was all Tinamatua’s idea, anyway. It’s not the Samoan way to go around keeping secrets from the aiga, anyway.”

My favourite place is always going to be the waterfront. There’s a set of little docks, they’re almost gone now, where the small fishing boats used to come in, and like a little bit of shingle next to it. Most of them been eaten up by the big boys, but once upon a time it used to be the busiest part of the waterfront, Tamamatua says. We moved to San Fran when I was eight, and I used to get real lonely for the ocean, so Mum, or sometimes a cousin, would take me down to sit on the pier while we waited for Dad to come off shift at the plant. ‘Parently they’re going to concrete it all over and turn it into a fancy parking lot for those big yachts soon, but I reckon it’s nicer now. Good place to just have a sit-down and chill, get away from sis if I need to, and sometimes, like, you’ve just gotta have some you time.”

“Who’s got time to be bored? Seriously, I’ve got too much on to get around to being bored. But, like, when, once a year, I’ve got the spare time to be doing nothing much, I like to just put my headphones in and jam. I used to dance the siva, but these days I'm more modern than that. Not that I'm good enough that I'd do either if I thought anyone was watching.”

“What secret identity? I’m Moonshadow, and I’m out and proud in every fricking sense of the word. If the bad guys try and hurt my parents, well then they’re idiots, considering how many of my family once were marines...”

“This ain’t a profession, this is afterschool club for the terminally unsociable, uso. Why do you think my sisters coming along? But, like, I’m going to join the military soon as I’ve finished school, obviously. Tamamatua thinks I’m good enough to make the officer track, and sure, that sounds good. If you made me choose another, then maybe I’d like to teach. I could be a real mean sports coach, I reckon. Could be a good time.”

“Dad still works at the big fish-processing plant down by the docks. He’s a floor-supervisor now, but even he comes home reeking of fish guts and sterilising fluid. Yeuch. Apparently you get used to it, and that’s just even worse, honestly. Not going to do that, even if he says he can get me a summer job anytime I want.”

“Like, do I have to have one? I’d say that there’s plenty I don’t mind, but I’m not sure I have one. Maybe tomorrow? It’s a good word, even if you’ve made me sound all lame and emotional now.”

“That’s an easier question! It’s two words, but ‘fia palagi’, no question. It means, roughly, too white. I summarise, but that’s close enough. There’s plenty of folks who think I’m doing being a fa’afafine wrong, or being that HRT is only for palagi, or that girls should be staying at home, or any of the many other things. Like, we’re a big family, and that means that everyone can find something to disagree with.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2019-07-19 at 03:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Name: Prince Mosi Pride-Imamu // Lion
    Playbook: Legacy
    Labels:
    Freak:1
    Savior: 2
    Superior: 0
    Mundane: 1

Conditions:

Afraid:
    Angry:
    Guilty:
    Insecure:
    Hopeless:

Other Status:

I have Influence on: Ground Zero, Ronin, Tsunami!

They have Influence on me: EVERYONE! I'm a part of this team, for better or worse, and I care what they think.

Potential:
    O O O O O
    Spoiler: LION, THE LEGACY
    Show

Code Name: Lion
    Secret Identity: Prince Mosi (Moz-eh) Pride-Imamu, The One Before Whom Evil Trembles
    Height: 6'4"
    Ethnicity: Black (African-Egyptian), Demi-God
    Look: Man, Sacred Dreads, Comfortable Clothing, Traditional Costume, Lion Insignia
    Powers: Animal Emulation (Mythic Might, Legendary Speed, God-Like Beauty).

Prince Mosi Pride-Imamu, The One-- (“Please, Sehk-met! Just Mosi is plenty.”) is a superhero, teenager and royal refugee living in San Fransapporo. He is a member of the royal family of the Imamu Pride, an African-Egyptian tribe exiled from their home nation of Imam who have taken refuge in San Fran and the greater Bay Area. Mosi, like the rest of his family, is also a member of the superhero "Lion" family, a legacy of heroes who trace back thousands of years. The child of former Guardians Black Lion and Black Lioness, the easygoing and conflict-averse Mosi was raised to be the first royal not to have to take on the role of the (Black) Lion. But fate has other plans.

So now Mosi is here, operating as the Lion in San Fransapporo, just like his Papi before him. He's got a crippled mother, a bratty sister, a refugee people and his legacy's greatest enemy -- his own bastard brother Bongani, now known as Brother Beast -- to watch out for. And put an end to a Millenias long recurrent cycle of fraternal and sororal bloodshed that has haunted our family since the dawn of Imam. And keep his team in check, together with their heads on straight. No pressure for the kid who was never supposed to have to do this in the first place.

Spoiler: Lore Stuff (Look, Powers, Legacy Info, Backstory Questions, Relationships)
    Show
    Spoiler: LOOK
    Show
    Spoiler: CIVVIES
    Show
    Spoiler: COSTUME
    Show
    Mosi has the typical physical bearing of an Imamu Pridesman -- tall, broad and swarthy with dark, oaky skin. Mosi shares his family’s divine heritage and the distinct physical marker that comes with it — soft, pale eyes that glow gold with cat-like slits when his powers go into overdrive. The Blessing of Sekhet. Typically he wears false glasses, partially to make his identity less obvious, but also because he grew accustomed to needing them before his powers came in. He keeps his dreads grown long per family rite and tied in a loose bun. Beneath his clothes, his body ripples with youthful vigor and the glow of a demi-god just come into his stride. Sometimes he is less than conscious of his own strength and size -- he's obvious not entirely used to either -- just two years ago he would have been unrecognizable as a scrawny, dorky teen.

Quick to laugh and give a smile to even his worst enemy, Mosi has always prided himself on seeing the best in others and trying to bring them up with him. The Lion is, in his heart, a gentle giant. He’d rather chill with buddies or curl up with a book on the couch than start trouble or fight unnecessarily — a quality that has always led to him being the peacemaker among his family. to sometimes compromise his ideals even when he shouldn't. it’s the same drive that leads him to believe he can solve every problem with words and good intentions… even when it’s too late for them.

When not in costume, Mosi wears trendy athleisure clothing, sewn by his sister. Rather than an homage to either of his parent’s full spandex, his costume is based on traditional Lion Warrior garb — upgraded with a compression tights, knee and elbow pads, retractable claws for scaling walls and a pop of bright orange over its original brown leather. He wields the Mane of the King, a magical helm that sprouts a mane of fur to protect the wearer’s neck and hide their dreads, providing the wearer some disguise.

Spoiler: POWERS
    Show
    The Lion has the general suite of powers from his family line — The Breath of Sekhmet, blessing of the Egyptian lion goddess of War, Protection and Healing. He refers to his powers in a technical sense as beast emulation magic — specifically the mythic might, legendary speed and god-like beauty of the proud and noble lion, king of the beasts, and -- when called upon -- even the strength of the Mistress of Slaughter herself. When particularly charged his attacks visually manifest themselves into claw-like materializations of energy appearing like burning sand, gold as his eyes, billowing as if in-wind around him. Mosi is "missing" two powers from his suite — divine armor and magic weaponry.

Ironically both are in his possession, but to him, each artifact is almost entirely mundane -- as he has yet to reach the point in his development where either recognizes him as their wielder. The Spear of the Lion is retractable, and nigh unbreakable but otherwise completely mundane spear to Mosi. As such he treats it as much a tool as a weapon. His helm, The Mane of the Hunter, provides decent protection and the -- purely aesthetic -- ability to produce a massive fur mane from its tiny leather frame -- giving Mosi his own magical boy transformation sequence, helping disguise his distinctive dreads and allowing him to keep the mask on his person easily. Each artifact possesses additional, incredible power that Mosi hasn't even begun to understand.

Spoiler: LEGACY ORIGIN
    Show
    Like all Imamu-Pride, Mosi is a descendant of the legendary First Pride; a supernaturally powerful tribe of warriors brought together by the union between Africa’s greatest warrior-king and the sorcerer-empress of Egypt. They bore three children together, two brothers and their younger sister, who was prophecized to one day become The first Lioness, also known as The Great Lioness, a powerful matriarch whose destiny was to build an empire that would stretch as far as the sun could set.

But she was cut down just before the peak of her power by the first Brother Beast, the eldest brother and the captain of her personal guard. He slew her in her sleep and fled the vengeance of the First Lion, who took up the mask and gathered every man, woman and child and christened them Lions before leading a crusade to hunt down Brother Beast and avenge the Great Lioness. They captured and banished the First Brother Beast to the Shadowlands, forcing him to walk forever trapped behind his remaining sibling, cast into darkness and unable to affect the real world as punishment for his sins. Just before meeting his fate, Brother Beast cursed the Royal family to forever bear “One son good, one son evil, and a daughter, destined to die more powerful than either." Mourning both his siblings, the Lion took on the name Black Lion -- and swore to rule just, to never take more than what he or his people needed.

Years and years past -- the cycle of blood continuing, over and over until the family seemingly died out. But their bloody legacy still played itself out in the footnotes and unseen sections of our world's history, until this cursed bloodline was brought to the forefront of San Fran's superhero society during the INFAMOUS CONFLICT between modern superhero Black Lion and his Brother Beast, over the murder of fellow superheroine Lioness. He was aided by an Imamu Warrior/Egyptian Ninja named Efe, who would go on to take the identity of Black Lioness in honor of her friends, before marrying Mios (Black Lion). Years later, the two bore two children, Mosi and then Asha -- and the new king and queen of Imam believed their battle had finally vanquished the curse, until Black Lion revealed his extramarital affair with another Guardian had produced a son out of wedlock -- Bongani Pride. Brought to live with the Imamu-Pride's at five, Bongani was treated with nothing but familial love by all except Efe, whose fears for the boy grew realized as he grew more ambitious -- first wanting to be Black Lion, and King, and then wanting more than either of those.

Each member of my legacy grows into the full same suite of powers by adulthood, and each emphasizes a different aspect of the suite above all others, mirroring their role in our family's recurrent cycle -- Brother Beast has Mythic Might, Lioness' has God-Like Beauty (to devastating Purple Man/Jean Grey-like levels eventually). The (Black) Lion is the bearer of Sekhmet's Divine Armor (Helm) and Magic Weaponry (Spear).

Spoiler: The Imamu Pride Terminology
    Show
    This section is just a small one to explain the various grammatical pronouns/terms associated with the African-Egyptian tribe known as the Imamu Pride -- notably they prefer not to call themselves a tribe, instead prefering "The Pride" as the pronoun for their people as a whole, "Pridesman/Prideswoman or simply Proud as an inclusive term" as the pronoun for individuals and Imamu as the adjective describing someone who is Proud. Their national languages are Afrikaans, English and Imamu-Sehk, the ancient language. The nation state that Black Lion helped establish in their ancestral home before most of the population took refuge in San Fran -- the same lost by Brother Beast -- was called Imam.

Spoiler: LEGACY MEMBERS
    Show
    My legacy is an important part of San Fransapporo.

• My mother, Black Lioness (Efe Pride-Imamu) is retired and quite judgemental. She was raised to be a traditional Pride Warrior, and sworn bodyguard to the most recent Lioness, Queen of Imam. became the Black Lioness to avenge her best friend, Black Lion’s sister, the original Lioness, who was killed by the original Brother Beast.

• My sister, Asha Pride-Imamu is the next possible member of our legacy. She is 12, and is just at the beginning of coming into her powers. She’s destined to become the next Lioness, stronger than either of her brothers.

• My sibling, Brother Beast (Formerly Bongani Pride) is the greatest opponent my legacy has ever faced... and is still at large.

Spoiler: BROTHER BEAST
    Show

• My dad, Black Lion (King Mios Pride-Imamu, formerly Mios Pride), is currently in a coma, braindead, but was once one of the Guardian’s most prominent members. I'd describe his backstory as Aquaman meets mystic Black Panther. In his youth, he was haughty and free-willed, having the best and worst qualities of both of his sons. His Brother Beast was as much a force of nature as a man, believing himself to be a reincarnation of the original Brother Beast, half trapped in the Shadowlands. Black Lion ended up tragically mercy-killing him to saved him from his diseased mind.

Spoiler: BACKSTORY
    Show
    • When did you officially become a part of your legacy?
    Spoiler: TL;DR Black Beast Betrayed the Pride-Imamu's, and it wasn't nice at all
    Show

Black Lion — who grew up in inner-city Detroit before learning of his roots as a Prince — defied tradition and raised his son with the finest education, showered Mosi with love, wanting a better childhood for him than what he got, or what tradition demanded, to his warrior wife’s chagrin. His older half-brother, Bongani, born scandalously in an affair between Black Lion and one of the other Guardians, took every opportunity to deny himself comfort and instead demanded tradition in order to hone himself into the perfect Black Lion.

Mosi was always content to let Bon be King, or the Black Lion, or whatever he wanted. He didn’t want to be a hero, just to show Bon that they didn’t need to be defined by some prophecy. Despite Mosi’s best efforts, Bohn’s resentment grew as the elders showered the weaker, kinder son with accolades — while ignoring the reject. After the boys’ younger sister began to manifest her own powers, Bon changed forever. He led an uprising with a segment of the Tribe’s “warriors” — angry young men displaced by conflict — and claimed his destiny as the Brother Beast when he crippled his adoptive mother, put his father in a coma and nearly killed Mosi in a coup to take over the tiny African country of Imam. Unable to withstand the pressure the militia and armies of neighboring countries, Brother Beast's army fell and he lost Imam to a neighboring country, despite his phenomenal power. He escaped and remains at large — hoping to rebuild his tribe of Lions somewhere else.
    Last year, after the Pride-Imamu’s escaped to America, left broken and licking their wounds after their battle with Brother Beast. Queen Efe, embittered by her loss, put Mosi through the ringer, training him for the better part of last year in everything she and Black Lion learned about being a warrior and being a superhero. But after that bitter, grueling year has been completed — she dubbed him a man, worthy of taking on the title of Lion and worthy to make a name himself, without her (non-familial) support, diverting her attentions to her job at the embassy, and keeping Asha's head from swelling to the size of the moon from the realization that she gets to go through puberty as an actual Princess.

•What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?

Getting together the UN treaty and the process of goodwill and diplomacy that allowed their people to retake their ancestral home of Imam and resulted in the establishing of Guardians international — the relief aid function of the Guardians, which has produced endless good will for the team and extended support to the world beyond just “punching the bad guys”.

•How does the public perceive your legacy?

The people of San Fran have positive to mixed feelings about the Lion Legacy. Black Lion and his wife, Black Lioness, did a lot of good for the people of San Fran. But Black Lion’s extramarital relationship and the destruction caused by the original Brother Beast (Black Lion’s brother) aren’t far from older people’s minds due to the aggressive tabloid coverage they received. Many of the young people of San Fran have been inviting and encouraging to the influx of Imamu Pride refugees, and Black Lion has seen something of a resurgence in popularity as a hero as news of his condition spreads and people memorialize him as a visionary superhero, ahead of his time in fighting injustices both social and super.

•How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?

Mosi was taught to be the Lion by his crippled mother as a matter of necessity, his father never wanted him to have to take up the spear, and he was happy not to either — but destiny and Brother Beast forced other plans. Determined to protect his sister, his family, his people and their new home from Brother Beast — like his father before him, Mosi has seen the devastation “legalized villainy” can wreak on low-income and minority communities. He and his mother has ambitions to eliminate the scourge from the city to help their people, and if turning the warlord's attention to The Lion prepares him to fight Brother Beast, she won't complain.

Most of the time he thinks about things like that. Plans, goals, fears, family. His Brother. But sometimes... sometimes when he wears the Helm, when he gets to just be The Lion. Pure, earnest, and able to help, well, everyone.

• Why do you care about the team?

TBD, but that's a lot of burden to shoulder for one person. Especially a once carefree kid who spent his whole childhood determined to prevent his family from falling apart. The team shares losses and victories, and they make him feel normal.

Spoiler: RELATIONSHIPS
    Show
    You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with Hikari/Silk. On a mission, Hikari and I were chasing some C-lister named Multi-Paul, when we had to split up -- for reasons you can imagine -- and I lost him after running into this ninja. She didn't tell me much other than her name -- Silk -- but, Sekhmet, it was like she turned my strength and speed against me. I couldn't hit her! I only saw the new cameras on the ground as I was flung from the second floor window. Ouch. And then she was gone. Who was she and why was she there? The worst thing is that Hikari had to take out Multi-Paul by herself. Not that it was a challenge for her. Just embarrassing for me.

You trust Tsunami and told them an important secret of your legacy. After a number of visits to the Surf Shop, and after carrying each other home wounded a number of times, I managed to find out from Tsunami -- Max, I mean -- that he's been in the city about as long as I have. He's so serious it makes me laugh -- but he's also honest and true. I trust the team... but he's the only one with whom I've shared my theory that Brother Beast is being influenced by the spirit of the original Brother Beast, rather than acting out of resentment or destiny.

Spoiler: Game Stuff (Moves, Extras, Moment of Truth, Advances Taken)
    Show

Spoiler: Playbook Moves
    Show
    Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.

Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
    -you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
    -you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
    -you keep your attacker’s attention
    On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Spoiler: Team Moves
    Show
    When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up and any other Label down.
    When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

Spoiler: Extra's
    Show
    LEGACY
    Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
    have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
    have you maintained the image of your legacy?
    have you made the other members of your legacy proud?

Spoiler: Moment of Truth
    Show
    This is the moment when you prove how much the mantle belongs to you. You seize control of all your powers, and you defeat even impossible odds to prove you are worthy of the name you carry. You accomplish feats even your predecessors couldn’t do. Of course, after you prove something like that, you can expect still more responsibilities to be placed on your shoulders...

Spoiler: Advancement Track
    Show
    TBD

Show

How old are you? "Seventeen and counting!"

Who is your family? What are they like? Do they know about your powers or about you being a hero? Actual blood relatives? “The Pride-Imamus? Well, we are a family. And we have our ups and downs, like most families. Technically we are the former royal family of Imam and — well, we’re also a family of superheros. I guess that is a lot for most people to take in. Don’t think either of those things is all we are though. We are family first. Unfortunately, we are also cursed to repeat an ages old cycle of fratricide -- you know, standard superhero family stuff. What?”
    Spoiler: Individual members
    Show

"Mami can bit a bit of a hard-ass... but I can't fault her that, after everything we've lost. Strongest woman I know, dozens of spinal surgeries and here she is, zipping around Imam's Embassy in the Bay, still trying to make sure every Proud taken refuge in the city gets enough. Which is an impossible task. I still think she blames herself for what happened -- I know she blames me, anyway." He looks down, then grins. "At least, I think that when she tells me to get out of the house and go on patrol!"

"My sis... hmm, she's smart, popular... and a complete gnat. I try to tell myself that I wasn't such an annoying twerp when I was fourteen, but I am quite positive it is an exercise in futility. She's got this creative spark in her though, everything she makes is just..." he makes an explosion sound with his mouth. Pulls at his jacket tenderly. "Incredible. She is really good. Sewed this for me. And my costume! I keep telling Asha she should forget the princess racket and go into business as a fashion designer... I like that she likes that. Cause, I worry about her, you know? My parents did not want this life forced upon me, and I cannot help but wish the same for her."

"Papi was the best of us when he was alive. He had his faults, everyone knew them -- and you know I mean everyone -- but he was a good soul. Kind. Loving. Always there. He treated the world, and everyone in Imam like they were his family, exactly the kind of King you'd want, if that's what you elected to have. Even Bongani-- Even when my Brother Beast pushed everybody else away, Papi was always there with his hand outstretched. And Bongani slapped it away. Now he's gone. I'm sorry, Papi... Would it be okay if we talked about something else?"

"Where do I start? [Sigh] I miss my brother. And I want to kill him. Not really. But it is hard not to write off Bongani after all he has done. Part of me wonders if there is even anything left to kill -- or if I lost my brother and my father that day. I begged him to let our family live, back then. Now... I am done begging. If I cannot speak reason into him as his equal, I will simply have to knock sense into his stubborn @$#."

What is your favorite place in the city? What do you do there? "Hahaha! I love it all! The whole city is so beautiful, and there's so much of it -- but if you twisted my arm behind my back I would say... The Rails. We don't have anything like them back home! Hovertech? Going over the ocean in a train? How do you all stop yourselves from pressing your nose up against the car's window in anticipation of what you will see next?"

What do you do when you're bored? "Hmmm... it basically boils down to if I am in the mood for other people. You know how it can be, people know you even if they don't and even the ones who do -- your family, your tribe, your friends -- it still somehow all has a weight to it, even when it is good and not bad. You catching my meaning? So I like to read -- all kinds of stuff. Just getting to bury myself in something unfamiliar. I also like to go out dancing; sneaking out of the house, getting to be with everyone and by yourself all at once. It is the ultimate, well... everything. Sorry..." He scratches his head and grins. "I can't quite put it into words. One of these days I'll get the team to come out with me -- they could use it!"

Who knows about your secret identity? “It's sort of an open secret more or less. Papi kinda screwed that one up when everyone found out about Bongani being born. It was a big scandal for the guardians. And when Papi, who was an American Superhero, remember, became king of a small nation in Africa...?" He pauses for effect. "You can imagine the UN had big feelings on the matter. And, it’s a little embarrassing, but most people here are familiar with the influx of my tribesman to the city after... — well, then this 'Lion' character shows up and people start putting two and two together… but I have yet to confirm nor deny anything. Except to my team. They know that their friend Mosi is the Lion. Even if they do not know what it means.”

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? “Don’t laugh, but I always thought it would nice to be a teacher of history; help others avoid repeating the mistakes of the past. it sad that Mami tells me that means I would make a good elder? [Sighs, mumbles in Imamu-Sekh] so embarrassing.”

What profession would you not like to do? "King of Imam. Moving along..."

What is your favorite word? "Ubuntu! It means, well, in Bantu -- it's basically the idea that we..." He reaches his big arms wide and brings them in to a hug, before swirling his fingers around as if stirring together the universe. "-- are all in this... together. All of us. Get it? Oh... In English? Hahaha, Sasquatch has a nice ring to it, does it not?" He thinks. "Wait, is that English?"

What is your least favorite word? "Responsibility!" He laughs, doesn't smile. Goes quiet. "Destiny. Screw that one."
    Last edited by Hans Free; 2019-08-23 at 04:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jak View Post
    Name: Tohya 'Ronin' Miho
    Playbook: Scion
    Labels:
    Freak: +0
    Danger: +0
    Mundane: -2

Conditions:

Afraid:
    Angry:
    Guilty:
    Insecure:
    Hopeless:
    Damaged: X

Other Status:

I have Influence on: Ground Zero, Hikari, Tsunami, Snow Fox, Sunburst

They have Influence on me: Hikari, Tsunami

Potential:
    X X O O O
    Spoiler: Ronin, The Scion
    Show

Hero Name: Ronin

Look
    • Ambiguous, Man, Shifting, Transgressing, Woman
    Asian or South Asian, Black, Hispanic/Latino, Indigenous, Middle Eastern, White
    • Stocky body, slender body, scrawny body, statuesque body, taut body
    • Hand-me-down clothing, expensive clothing, uniform clothing, rebellious clothing, casual clothing
    Bright costume, parent’s costume, understated costume, makeshift costume, no costume

Machine Control: The powerful AI 'Chisei' loaded into her armour can generally hack anything with a computer control chip in it -- which means most machines and electronics these days -- and make it dance to their tune.

Powerful Weapon or Gadget: The Ronin armour transforms from chair to suit and back again, allows her to walk and fight -- such as it is -- with enhanced strength and speed, flight, a short-range electrical stunner, a long-range kinetic lance, and a mono-edged katana that can cut through most materials. Kinetic shielding blunts most physical attacks, but has little effect against energy weapons and secondary thermal effects.

LABELS
    Danger -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3
    Freak -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3
    Savior -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3
    Superior -2 -1 0 +2 +2 +3
    Mundane -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3

Scion Moves

❑ I’ll show them:
    When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.

❑ Changed sides:
    When you mislead or trick an enemy by pretending to be on their side, roll + Danger. On a hit, they buy your charade for now. On a 7-9, choose 1. On a 10+, choose 2.
    • You avoid having to provide concrete evidence
    • You create an opportunity
    • You expose a weakness or flaw On a miss, someone else watching comes to the worst possible conclusion.

❑ They don’t deserve forgiveness:
    When you accuse an enemy of being irredeemable, you can mark two conditions to take Influence over you away from them. When you directly engage someone who has no Influence over you, you can always choose 1 additional option, even on a miss.

❑ Moldable:
    When you pierce the mask of someone whose respect you crave, you can always ask “How could I gain Influence over you?”, even on a miss. Take +1 ongoing to acting on the answer.

❑ All the best stuff:
    You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.

❑ White lies:
    When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they are your role model as a hero, roll + Savior instead of + Mundane. On any hit, if they open up to you, take Influence over them.

❑ Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.

❑ Damage: You get an additional condition called Damaged. While marked, take +1 to take a powerful blow. To clear the Damaged condition, you need time, external help, or special equipment or abilities.

Backstory
    • Who is your supervillain parent? My father? You probably don't know him; he goes by Bushido, and he's just a good little soldier. The real villain that has everyone quaking in fear, though, that's my sofu -- my grandfather -- The Warrior, founder and iron-fisted leader of The Five Warlords. Yeah. Try having that hanging over your head.

• Who told you about your parent’s true nature? Nobody had to tell me, unfortunately. I was little more than an experiment, a continued attempt to mitigate some of the more odious qualities of my grandfather's dark dynasty, but I had several strikes against me; firstly, I had the poor taste to be born a girl, rather than the boy they wanted; next, I was proven to be further defective by having little of the aptitude for martial skill that grandfather dearest so demands; and, lastly, I had a bad habit of asking questions rather than just exhibiting blind, senseless obedience. Like that's my fault; they quite specifically bred me in a way that produced these traits. So sad for them that the results weren't what they wanted.

I mean, their attempt made sense, in a way; it all centred around mom. She was a heroine, of course, who went by the unwieldy name of Fausta Felicitas, She was brilliant, a pacifist, and her powers centred around incredible luck. She never hurt anybody, but incredibly unlikely events just happened to occur to her benefit. Somebody eventually did enough meticulous planning that luck couldn't enter into it, and she was left nearly dead in a vegetative state.

I...still don't know for certain what happened, but she disappeared from her medical facility and hasn't been seen since. The only reason I know she's my mother is because they threw that at me in the course of explaining their 'disappointment in my potential'.

Whatever. I can do things they haven't even imagined.

• Why did you turn from your lineage to be a hero? It wasn't a difficult choice; when my loving grandfather decided to make one last attempt to 'make me a warrior', an attempt that nearly killed me and left me half dead and fully paralyzed from the waist down...well, let's just say that the bloom was well and truly off the rose. Considering I was all of twelve at the time, they'll have to forgive me for not feeling very philosophical about it. Not in the least because my actual father not only did absolutely nothing to prevent this, he turned his back on my along with the rest when I was proven especially 'unworthy' in their eyes. Fine; I would just have to show them that their way was the wrong way.

• Who, outside of the team, helps you on your chosen path? I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have without the support of my best -- maybe even only -- friend, Erika. She also goes by Kitsune, and is a teleporter, an empath, and unfairly gorgeous -- not necessarily in that order. She could feel the black emotions that I was subject to back then, and she stopped this scrawny teenager in a wheelchair to find out how she could help.

When I eventually told her about who my family was...well, that was definitely the biggest strain on our relationship like, ever. But she not only got over it, but she enthusiastically encourages me to show that not all of the seeds from that line has to grow twisted and bitter. I just hope she's right.

• Why do you care about the team? I'll be blunt; if I'm ever going to be seen as anything other than 'The Warrior's Granddaughter', I'm going to need the support of people who are unquestioningly heroes. Too many of the big names just see me as a rotten apple who can't have fallen far from the tree, wondering what deep game I'm playing. But the team? They're willing to approach things with an open mind, for the most part. We're building trust, and anyone who didn't grow up in my world has no idea how rare a thing that is.

Respect
    Write down the names of at least two other characters whose respect you need to earn in order to differentiate yourself from your parent. You may fill in new names whenever appropriate.

Your parent’s greatest enemy: Lightbringer, former director of the Guardians and current leader of the Authority, the photonic hero won't rest until she brings down The Five Warlords. If she believes I'm different, surely anyone can.
    Respect: ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ Advancement: ☐

Your parent’s greatest victim: _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Your personal idol: William Sidis, arguably the smartest man alive, a genius whose technological inventiveness outshines even mine, if I have to admit it. THE genius' genius. One of the head R&D people at Hexxan Industries, there aren't many products in their lineup that don't use at least one process that he developed. If he can see me as a peer, I'll know I've got more going for me than just a legacy of violence and darkness.

The city’s greatest leader: Alexandre Mars, Chairman and CEO of Hexxan Industries. An influential businessman and philanthropist, he uses his wealth, position, and influence to not only directly benefit the disadvantaged but also rides the line between condemning the Warlord system but not doing so to the extent that will call down retribution from them. He's actually out there making a difference, and people listen to him; I need him to see me as a sign of how the system can change.

The city’s greatest hero: Tsunami's mentor, the Smith. An acknowledged powerhouse, she's a fellow armour creator and user, and she is our team's benefactor. No doubt she has her misgivings about my teaming up with her protege, but I'm sure I can convince her I'm in this to help, not lead people astray!

The city’s biggest celebrity: _ _ _ _ _ _ _

When you seek out one of the characters named above, roll + Savior. On a hit, you find them where you expected to. On a 7-9, they’re juggling their own problems, and may not have time for you. On a miss, when you find them, the situation is dire; the GM will tell you how.

If you earn Influence over the characters listed above, instead you mark 1 Respect. If you lose Influence over the characters listed above, you lose 1 Respect. If you lose 1 Respect and you have none marked, you immediately mark a condition, GM’s choice.

The first time you reach 4 Respect on an individual, take an advancement.

Team Moves
    When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you have earned their respect. If you have, take Influence over them and mark potential. If you have not, give them Influence over you and mark potential. When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they would defend you against those who mistrust you. If they say yes, clear a condition and shift Savior up and any other Label down. If they say no, mark a condition and shift Danger up and any other Label down.

Relationships
    Moonshadow is the only one who understands what I’m going through; I told them which part of me I wished was more like my parent. There are times when I think having that totally ruthless edge is something I need more than empathy, or the ability to see multiple sides of a problem. It would sure be a hell of a lot simpler....

My grandparent once fought and thrashed Tsunami; I’ve got to find a way to make it up to them. Sure, he was new to the city, but nobody deserves what happened to him.

I have Influence on: Ground Zero, Hikari, Tsunami

They have Influence on me: The Lion, Hikari, Tsunami

Show
    How old are you?
    Seventeen. Have to say I feel older than that, though; I’ve been looking after myself for years now, and been emancipated and actively on my own for...wow, nearly two now.

Oh, my family. Make that ‘Family’ – supervillains or not, it’s organized crime on a grand scale. I’m pretty sure most of them don’t really know what I’m capable of, especially with Chesai on my side, but...since I kinda called them out at one point once I had the Ronin armour up and running, yeah, they know what I’m doing.

Hands down, my lab. It’s where I do my work, my inventing. I coded the seed that became Chesai in my room – he’s my oldest and best friend. I developed the initial kinetic sink that I later improved for my armour in a chop shop – sold that tech to Lockheed, and it’ll be showing up in commercial aircraft in a few years. The money from that sale funded my emancipation suit and then bought me the little house where I have my lab – and that lab is where I designed and constructed the Ronin armour. Chesai has been playing the stock market with the rest of my patent money, and I’ve been inventing. Everythng good in my life has come from my lab, in whatever form it’s had at the time.

...what? Oh – I’m kinda a genius. Not a Super Genius, but a genius nonetheless.

Did i forget to mention that? Sorry!

See above. A lot of the time I’m buried in my lab; but I can occasionally be lured out by pizza and one sci-fi marathon or another. I’m really not that interesting to hang out with, so I guess that it’s good that I’m comfortable being alone, or with Chesai for company.

My family pretty much knows across the board, which means most if not all of The Five Warlords organization knows. Oh, Erika, of course – Kitsune is a fairly minor player in the city, but she was my lifeline, and without question is my best meat friend. She encouraged me to become Ronin, because she knew that’s what I needed.

Empaths.

And, of course, The Team. Trying to keep that a secret from them is just asking for trouble; these things always come out at the worst possible moment and send everything cockeyed. Not happening – remember, genius!

I guess if I had to be said to have a profession it would be inventor, which is pretty badass. If I was picking a different one? Uhhh....

Teacher? It’s always fun watching the understanding dawn on someone’s face. Yeah, I could do that.

Tech support. If I can’t be there hands-on to fix it myself, no way in hell am I going to suffer through their bumbling attempts to understand what they need to do.

Impossible. My alternate definition; I get to be the first to do it!

Cripple. I don’t have to explain that one, do I?
    Last edited by Captain Jak; 2020-05-30 at 05:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

That's everyone. I'll do a round up on what still needs to be done with Relationships and Influence and edit it into this post and ping the discord when that's done.

The Lion requires both Relationship slots filled.
    Tsunami requires Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________. filled.

It looks like, for those of you giving out Influence (or has a choice to) still needs to be done.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-06-04 at 10:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

When the Team first came together we defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?
    One of the Bard’s enforcers, a guy calling himself Iron Devil. He’s able to control magnetism and did some pretty crazy **** with it. He boasted about being able to whip up some sort of railgun. I’m not really sure what that is, or how it works, all I know is that I hadn’t been hurt (with the exception of Sunburst temporarily blinding me) since coming back here, yet that thing just clipped me and my shoulder is still sore.

Ronin tried explaining how that Railgun thing worked, something about alternating magnetic charges, but I still don't really get it. She also seemed to mark something down on a map.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"It was, uh, pretty messy. The fight broke out in the industrial park. Near an R&D lab, might've been a Wukong industries lab..? I think that, uh, that might be where Iron Devil got the parts for the rail gun. I swear, stuff was already getting destroyed before I stepped in. But when Groundzero was shot at? I had to try and stop the shots! Someone could've been killed! So, I made a barrier in front of us, try and screen us from the shots. Not had to block something that strong before, didn't absorb the impact. It, uh, it just fractured the shot. Didn't hit any of us, but the shrapnel devastated the buildings behind us. I tried firing back, but I was feeling pretty shaken. My beam wasn't focused enough, started some fires. I... Stuck to just trying to block him after that..."
    Last edited by Comissar; 2019-06-05 at 03:39 AM.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

"Our hastily-formed team had just finished 'having words' with this 'Iron Devil' character when who should arrive to help in clean up the aftermath? The Guardians, my father's old team! Well not The Guardians. And more like Guardian. As in singular. It was Master Sun, one of my father's old rivals. According to Hikari, he's a top lieutenant in 'the Authority'. Sounds catchy. Like disease. Sorry, that was unbecoming."

"I know that our elders deserve respect, they've walked a path we have yet to, but... San Fran hardly seems the bastion of heroism I knew it to be in my father's tales. It was hard hearing the team tell me later what has become of the Guardians. What everyone justly thinks of them. Sun either failed to recognize me or pretended not to, because I was all-to-certain he would take the opportunity to chide us, the same way my father said he had every Lion met over the course of his fabled career, but there he stood -- clapping with a force so strong it somehow passed us and put out fires in the distance -- or at least that's how he made it look."

"In truth, the relief effort had already begun. I turned to the rest of the team to suggest we pitch in, only to see that half of them had paid Sun no mind and already started helping. Hahahaha! I knew I liked them!"

We impressed MASTER SUN, one of Lightbringer's top lieutenants in the Authority, an immortal being also known as Sun Wu, or Sun Tzu. He appears to be a handsome, middle-aged Asian man carved from some kind of smooth wood. Maybe a mahogany? He has no superpowers beyond being a sleepless, needless immortal with infinite time and patience to prepare. Sun has been critical to Lightbringer's operations -- and fending off the Warlords -- after the Authority stepped out from the pact.
    Last edited by Hans Free; 2019-06-07 at 11:17 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

For starters, I needed their help still, immediately after. Not that we had to stick together, but they’re good people, so they did. I was still recovering from my encounter with The Warrior before the bout with the Iron Devil began. I held it together through the fight though, mostly thanks to their presence. I know, I know, I probably shouldn’t have been there to begin with, but I was, and I’m glad. I guess it was sort of the kick in the a** that made me realize working as part of a group... actually be a good thing, and not just kicking around on my own all the time. It definitely felt nice not to be knocked flat again, at least.

Once all the dust was settled and all the talking was all done, I... needed someone to get me home. Not the proudest moment, but I was pretty d*mn tapped out, and hurting. I didn’t really know any of them well enough to ask specifically for a shoulder to lean on, so I offered for all of them to join me at the ‘shop’, to check out the base below, and hoped that it was a good enough excuse to keep them around. That way I wouldn’t be caught alone in a weak state by anyone on my way back, and if I really needed it... I could ask for that shoulder. I did need it. As it turned out, I wasn't the only one scuffed up. It was a good chance for us all to get patched up too, I had some first aid supplies at the base. But it also gave us a chance to discuss just amongst ourselves what had just happened, and for the most part, everyone seemed pretty pumped and proud of our joint effort. I don’t know if it was me, or Hikari, or who proposed it initially... but the idea of potentially forming an actual team, or at least trying it again, floated pretty naturally at some point.

At the base, it became quickly apparent that we had the potential set up for a lot of things that would help us function as a group. For obvious reasons, with the base hidden as it was we had a safe place to both gather and plan as heroes, and then to even deploy to a few places in the city via the teleportal. But even the store above had its uses. One of them pointed out that the shop being only a front could be used to our advantage. It meant that any one of the team could claim to work there, if they needed an excuse to be there in civvies without arousing suspicion, and no one was going to bust that myth. It’s also in a fairly safe area, not terribly conspicuous. And then, just being so near the River Market, well... it is just sort of a nice place to hangout and crash with good food.

It sounds simple enough an explanation, but everything did sort of just fall together that night. I ended up giving everyone a key to activate the portals that are placed throughout the city. They’re a magitech creation of the Smith to help me, well, now us out. The ‘keys’ look like they’re made out of sheets of crystal, a bit irregular and smaller than a credit card by half, with iridescent circuitry visible in certain lights. They allow a person to be recognized by the portals and trigger them to open when in proximity. enough to be easily fit into a piece of armour or otherwise, however everyone wants to disguise them.

Ronin created some kind of map app so that everyone can easily find the coordinates for the portals (until they’re committed to memory) so that we didn’t have to use any default map app, definitely more secure. It also lets us keep track of each other, in that it can track the location of the keys as well. That function can be turned on and off individually, for privacy, which I hope never bites us in the a**, but everyone is entitled to their lives.
    Last edited by The_Specialist; 2019-06-05 at 11:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The media coverage following The Incident in the industrial park was surprisingly positive. Sure, there had been some collateral damage, and I know that I didn't come off looking the best, getting lost in the throes of railgun-engineering in mid fight; Iron Devil spotted me and seemed to take my defection rather personally, and I'd had to draw the Sword of Doom and defend myself from his assault – and they caught that on camera! But the overall response seemed to say that we had 'stepped in to prevent an imbalance in strength of arms from spilling out onto the street' (direct quote!) and we were, perhaps, an up and coming team to watch out for! How awesome was that?

"While we are not certain as to the identities or allegiances of every member of this group of young costumed vigilantes that were involve in the Iron Devil Incident, one thing is clear." A still of the Ronin armour, sword out, was put up on the corner of the screen. "This armoured figure, whomever he may be, fought in the style distinct to the Warlord and his family. Whatever the rest of these young folk think is going on, they are clearly being influenced by a planted member of the Warlords." The judgement in his voice fell like the crack of doom.

"We are not certain, as of yet, just what this display of destruction was supposed to accomplish, but rest assured we will find out. Until then, we urge citizens to keep this hidden allegiance in mind when encountering these young people, and we urge the rest of them to not be lead astray by serpent-tongued advice."

Well. Crap.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Hikari, the Persona - We discovered something that incriminated my Alias. What was it and how did I cover my tracks?

"Iron Devil hired me...Silk...to help him steal something from Wukong Industries. He needed somebody to help finesse him in to get at a vault or something so he could brute force it open. It's never good for the Warlords to get what they want, and Koto-sensei has given me standing instructions to hobble their operations as often as possible so long as it doesn't put my infiltration at risk. So I tipped off Moonshadow and Sunburst and told them to bring some friends so we could foil the robbery. Iron Devil wasn't expecting interference and hadn't paid extra for Silk to fight anybody, so I took off at the first opportunity so Hikari could join the fight and help take him down.

After we subdued Iron Devil, we found surveillance footage of him and Silk inside the building. Oops. How was I supposed to know that Wukong had a separate, redundant camera circuit?! I showed up as Hikari during the fight, so it'd be crazy for anybody to suspect that I'm Silk. But that Ronin tech makes me antsy so, just to cover my bases, I snuck back to the building later that night and erased the footage. And this time I made sure to disable all the cameras first. Good thing I made sure Ronin didn't save a copy."
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2019-06-06 at 08:30 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Last edited by Mr. E; 2019-06-07 at 02:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

"After the team and I finished 'having words' with this 'Iron Devil', who should seem to come in to clean up the aftermath and take credit from the young? The Guardians, to the surprise of few on my team other than myself. I didn't know until I asked Hikari about it, but apparently he's become some big shot over at the Authority. He either failed to recognize me, or pretended not to, because I was all-to-certain he would take the opportunity to flagellate us for his own validation. But there he stood, clapping for us with a force so strong it somehow passed us and put out fires in the distance -- the same ones Sunburst had set earlier in the fight."

"How... how in Duat did he manage to do that!?"

We impressed MASTER SUN, one of Lightbringer's top lieutenants in the Authority, an immortal being also known as Sun Wu, or Sun Tzu. He has no powers beyond being a sleepless, needless immortal with infinite time to prepare. He's been critical to Lightbringer's ability to not be assassinated by all five warlords for stepping out of line from the Guardian/Warlord pact.

Well. Crap.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: San Fransapporo: After Dark OOC

Unleash: Machine Control to access CCTV and ATM camera feeds. Freak: [roll]2d6[/roll]
    Last edited by Captain Jak; 2019-06-07 at 11:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Attempt #2
    (2d6)[6]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rolling to Assess the Situation:

(2d6+2)[5]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

...LOL

...damn, boy be distracted!

But since he has Be Mindful of Your Surroundings I'm going to ask one question still:

What here can I use to: find out what they're searching for?

i.e. is there a pattern to their searching, etc.
    Last edited by The_Specialist; 2019-06-08 at 01:17 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Rolling to assess the situation.

(2d6+1)[11]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Rolling to Unleash: Machine Control (2d6)[11]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Rolling to directly engage the threat -- (2d6)[10].

26. - Top - End - #26

Hey Hans, good post over all and while I'm totally cool with everyone playing up Mooks and batting them around like they're nothing...because unless indicated they are...I'd rather you left the named NPCs to me to react and emote. Especially when it comes to their dialog.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-06-11 at 06:41 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Rolling to support Sunburst.

(2d6-1)[3]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rolling for Provoke to try and intimidate one of the goons...

(2d6+2)[8]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Rolling to Unleash Machine Control and transfer collated data summary to Hikari while avoiding a butt-whoopin'.

*sigh* Wrong board dice format syntax, and it won't let me fix it.
    Last edited by Captain Jak; 2019-06-13 at 10:16 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Unleash: (2d6)[5]