New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC handedness.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default PC handedness.

Something dawned on me the other day, I have never had a player in one of my games make a left handed PC. Occasionally you get an ambidextrous person, but other than that they are all right handed.

I assume that most people just default to their oown handedness, but why? Players dont default to their own height, weight, race, gender, or any other physical attribute, so why are people save averse to cross-handedness RP?

I personally pccasionally make left handed characters, but ten again I am a lefty irl so...
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: PC handedness.

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Something dawned on me the other day, I have never had a player in one of my games make a left handed PC. Occasionally you get an ambidextrous person, but other than that they are all right handed.

I assume that most people just default to their oown handedness, but why? Players dont default to their own height, weight, race, gender, or any other physical attribute, so why are people save averse to cross-handedness RP?

I personally pccasionally make left handed characters, but ten again I am a lefty irl so...
    Left Handedness is more rare than a height or hair color difference.

Additionally, it's something that only is known when it becomes relevant. How many of your co-workers are left handed? How many are brunettes? You'll likely only be able to answer the second question.

Lastly, when would it ever be relevant in the game? Maybe 50% of all characters are left handed...would you know? I certainly don't ask players what their characters' hair color is.

I think the real point is that right-handed people don't consider their handedness a part of their identity. As a result, they don't consider filling in that information when making up a new identity. Kinda like how you don't mark down your number of limbs. Sure, it could change from person to person, but do you consider it a part of your identity? You, being left handed, are different than the norm because of it, and so it probably makes up a part of your own identity.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-06-04 at 10:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Left Handedness is more rare than a height or hair color difference.

Additionally, it's something that only is known when it becomes relevant. How many of your co-workers are left handed? How many are brunettes? You'll likely only be able to answer the second question.

Lastly, when would it ever be relevant in the game? Maybe 50% of all characters are left handed...would you know? I certainly don't ask players what their characters' hair color is.

I think the real point is that right-handed people don't consider their handedness a part of their identity. As a result, they don't consider filling in that information when making up a new identity. Kinda like how you don't mark down your number of limbs. Sure, it could change from person to person, but do you consider it a part of your identity? You, being left handed, are different, and so it probably makes up a part of yours.
    In my experiance most character sheets have a slot for handedness.
    It comes up frequently in gritty hames with locational damage as well as some of the more tactical games that actually care which direction you are striking from.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Worth noting that being left handed is a significant advantage in melee combat, whether unarmed or armed.

Most right-handed people are used to fighting other right-handed people, whereas most left-handed people are used to fighting right-handed people.
    Last edited by Kiero; 2019-06-04 at 11:16 AM.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Most weapons and tools are achiral, but shields could very well be. In a system where you can easily lose a limb and it cannot be replaced with a functional alternative, having to learn to fight with your off hand could matter. Most systems do have a penalty for fighting with your off hand, but it is generally assumed you are using your dominate hand to wield a weapon unless dual wielding or something else.
    For ambidexterous characters, most systems have feats, traits, advancements, talents, what have you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiero View Post
    Worth noting that being left handed is a significant advantage in melee combat, whether unarmed or armed. Most right-handed people are used to fighting other right-handed people, whereas most left-handed people are used to fighting right-handed people.
    From years of fencing, this is incredibly true. The real fun comes when two lefties fight each other. Not a lot of systems with this mechanic though, which would only potentially matter when two humanoids are in melee combat.
    Last edited by Geddy2112; 2019-06-04 at 11:00 AM.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geddy2112 View Post
    Most weapons and tools are achiral, but shields could very well be. In a system where you can easily lose a limb and it cannot be replaced with a functional alternative, having to learn to fight with your off hand could matter. Most systems do have a penalty for fighting with your off hand, but it is generally assumed you are using your dominate hand to wield a weapon unless dual wielding or something else.
    For ambidexterous characters, most systems have feats, traits, advancements, talents, what have you.

From years of fencing, this is incredibly true. The real fun comes when two lefties fight each other. Not a lot of systems with this mechanic though, which would only potentially matter when two humanoids are in melee combat.
    I am not a gun enthusiast, but I've been to a firing range a few times. Speaking as a lefty, most modern handguns (that use a magazine or clip - I always forget the technical difference and which goes into a pistol) are chiral. Releasing the safety and fiddling with some of the reloading and slide releases is a lot more awkward until you realize you're supposed to be using your right thumb for it, not fumbling over the gun with your left hand to do it. ^^;

It also took me until well into my adult years to realize that the scissors with the large ovoid loop and the small thumb loop are designed to be comfortable for right-handed people. The direction the plastic guides is perfect if your right thumb is going through it. With the left thumb going through it, there is a hard and semi-sharp ridge at both the back and front end, making such scissors dig into your thumb uncomfortably (and, after a while, painfully). I honestly didn't even think about it other than grimacing at having to use such scissors for years.

Though the funniest thing about the world's right-handed bias that I've encountered is when my brother got me a Razor Naga mouse (it's a mouse with a keypad of buttons where your thumb is) designed for left-handed people. It has the buttons in the right places, and is shaped with the slope to accommodate a lefty rather than a righty. But I can tell it was designed by a righty who over-thought it: the default LMB and RMB are reversed on it. I had to go into my computer settings and switch them to reverse to get them back to normal functionality.

This is funny to me, because it's clear the thought process was, "okay, left-handed people do things backwards. Clearly, they'll need the right and left mouse buttons switched to more easily use their index fingers to left-click and their middle fingers to right-click." In practice, I have used normal mice that have no chirality to them for so long that I just use my middle finger for left button clicks, and my index for right button clicks. That it'd be reversed for righties never crossed my mind.

For the most part, it makes no difference in day-to-day life. But where it does, it's subtle and often catches me by surprise when I realize that what I have thought of as an inconvenience and odd design choice is actually quite sensible if you're right-handed.

Oh, also, apparently I eat "the European way" with my fork and knife: Because I'm left-handed, I keep my fork in my left hand and my knife in my right, and cut and eat without putting down my utensils. Apparently, the most common way for (right-handed) Americans to eat is to use the knife in the right hand, hold the food still with the fork in the left, then put down the knife and switch hands to use the right to eat with the fork. Europeans supposedly just do it the way I do, 85% of them just using their off-hand for the fork. (Me, I'm surprised righties don't just use the knife in the left hand and the fork in the right and not switch.)

That last bit is not well-researched on my part, but anecdotally has been backed up by my limited study after somebody told me about it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geddy2112 View Post
    The phenomenon is less pronounced, though still present in unarmed combat. I've had fun with it over the years, because though I'm right-handed, for the gross muscular co-ordination required in unarmed fighting, I'm functionally ambidextrous.

My right might be slightly stronger and better co-ordinated, but I'm perfectly comfortable switching stance to fight a lefty. That's thrown a few southpaws off when I choose to match them, rather than allowing them their usual advantage over confused righties.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I remember when I was a kid and I discovered that Link from the Legend of Zelda games was left-handed and I thought that was super cool. As a straight, white male, it's probably the only story I have of seeing a part of myself that isn't normally represented in popular media. Although I later realized that I was more ambidextrous than strictly left-handed.

I'm a little sad sometimes that D&D 3.5 pretty much removed handedness issues from the game, because it eliminates interesting "warrior who lost their primary hand" stories and also invalidates Princess Bride style "I'm not actually left-handed" ploys. I have to agree with not needing to waste a feat to be considered ambidextrous anymore, though.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2019-06-04 at 11:48 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There's an advantage to D&D 3.5 which did away with handedness - all characters can use either hand with equal flexibility.

Back about 30 years ago we usually rolled either 1d6 and 1d12 - if the smaller dice was the higher number the character was left handed, if the same then ambidextrous.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Hackmaster doesn't address benefits to lefties, but Ambidextrous characters have a 1 second initiative penalty (but don't suffer penalties for off-hand use).

Character Handedness
    Roll (d100) Handedness
    01-90 Right
    91-99 Left
    00 Ambidextrous

Character Handedness (Half-Orcs)
    Roll (d100) Handedness
    01-20 Right
    21-00 Left

Character Handedness (Elves & Half-Elves)
    Roll (d100) Handedness
    01-75 Right
    76-90 Left
    91-00 Ambidextrous
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Though the funniest thing about the world's right-handed bias that I've encountered is when my brother got me a Razor Naga mouse (it's a mouse with a keypad of buttons where your thumb is) designed for left-handed people. It has the buttons in the right places, and is shaped with the slope to accommodate a lefty rather than a righty. But I can tell it was designed by a righty who over-thought it: the default LMB and RMB are reversed on it. I had to go into my computer settings and switch them to reverse to get them back to normal functionality.

This is funny to me, because it's clear the thought process was, "okay, left-handed people do things backwards. Clearly, they'll need the right and left mouse buttons switched to more easily use their index fingers to left-click and their middle fingers to right-click." In practice, I have used normal mice that have no chirality to them for so long that I just use my middle finger for left button clicks, and my index for right button clicks. That it'd be reversed for righties never crossed my mind.
    Funny thing is, I'm right handed, I can use a mouse left-handed... but I need to reverse the buttons because for me it IS mapped to "index finger" and "middle finger"... if I use the "righty" mouse setup with my left hand, I have to slow down and think about which button I'm pushing each time.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I am not a gun enthusiast, but I've been to a firing range a few times. Speaking as a lefty, most modern handguns (that use a magazine or clip - I always forget the technical difference and which goes into a pistol) are chiral.
    A detachable magazine is a box with a spring in it. It usually goes into the bottom of the weapon, loading the rounds into the chamber, and you replace it when it's empty.

A clip is just one solid piece of springy metal. It usually goes into the top of the weapon, loading rounds into the weapon's integral magazine before being removed.

In practice, most people use the terms interchangeably unless politics are involved.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Funny thing is, I'm right handed, I can use a mouse left-handed... but I need to reverse the buttons because for me it IS mapped to "index finger" and "middle finger"... if I use the "righty" mouse setup with my left hand, I have to slow down and think about which button I'm pushing each time.
    And that's probably why a righty designing a left-handed mouse thought, "Okay, they'll need the buttons swapped."

Meanwhile, if I wind up using a mouse right-handed, I have no trouble with the standard layout, beyond how awkward a right-handed mouse already is. Swapping the buttons would confuse me, there, too. ^^;

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

my pc's are all left-handed, left-eyed, and left-footed. like me. easier to mime actions. also, it's a giant middle (left-handed) middle finger to my friends who've given me grief since middle school for my handedness.

paradoxically, i prefer right-handed guns (shot lefty) and guitars (albeit with the strings flipped and played lefty), and i use my mouse with my right hand, since nobody told me that i should flip it.

i'm confusing like that.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    my pc's are all left-handed, left-eyed, and left-footed. like me. easier to mime actions. also, it's a giant middle (left-handed) middle finger to my friends who've given me grief since middle school for my handedness.

paradoxically, i prefer right-handed guns (shot lefty) and guitars (albeit with the strings flipped and played lefty), and i use my mouse with my right hand, since nobody told me that i should flip it.

i'm confusing like that.
    People seriously gave you grief about being left-handed as a kid? Wow; I've never heard of that in real life before.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Kiero View Post
    Worth noting that being left handed is a significant advantage in melee combat, whether unarmed or armed.

Most right-handed people are used to fighting other right-handed people, whereas most left-handed people are used to fighting right-handed people.
    In sports, statisticians have worked out that there’s roughly a 10% advantage in being left handed in opposed sports like baseball, tennis etc.

It is part of why there is a disproportionate number of lefties in elite sports. In games like baseball there can also be tactical advantages in swapping lefties and righties into the line up.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

This is something I generally just don't bother to specify - much the same way that I usually don't bother with exact height and weight (especially weight, that sort of thing fluctuates at the best of times and adventurers with highly variable levels of exercise and potentially food). I'll have a physical description that will hit highlights and be a coherent description rather than fill out some long list of standard factors.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

18. - Top - End - #18

In my experiance most character sheets have a slot for handedness.
    It comes up frequently in gritty hames with locational damage as well as some of the more tactical games that actually care which direction you are striking from.
    I don't think I've ever seen a handedness box, or seen someone's handedness mentioned in a game. Interesting.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

19. - Top - End - #19

In my experience, the main thing is just: It doesn't matter.

Ambidextrous characters happen because of dual wield combat, but other than that, in way more than two decades of gaming, I can't think of a single situation where it was a relevant question whether the character was left- or righthanded.

Now, probably, the question could have come up a couple of times if someone had thought of it, but in my experience, people just don't think about, so there's no reason to make it a thing in the game.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    In my experience, the main thing is just: It doesn't matter.

Ambidextrous characters happen because of dual wield combat, but other than that, in way more than two decades of gaming, I can't think of a single situation where it was a relevant question whether the character was left- or righthanded.

Now, probably, the question could have come up a couple of times if someone had thought of it, but in my experience, people just don't think about, so there's no reason to make it a thing in the game.
    Any more so than eye or hair color?

21. - Top - End - #21

Any more so than eye or hair color?
    Is that a serious question? Yes, hair color matters infinitely more than handedness.

At least in my games, "What does that character look like?" is a question that comes up for just about any relevant PC or NPC at least once. "Is that character left- or right-handed?" has never come up even once.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

In some games (like 7th Sea), being Left-Handed is an advantage you can actually purchase when making your character.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I thought the surprise / secret was not being left-handed...
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think I've ever specified a character's dominant hand. I think in my head it's been the right hand, but that's because I'm right handed. I've never stated it out right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I don't think I've ever specified a character's dominant hand. I think in my head it's been the right hand, but that's because I'm right handed. I've never stated it out right.
    Yeah - the only time I ever mentioned it was a lefty bard. And that's only because I've heard that (generally) lefties are more creative/musical because they're right-brained.

But as said above, in virtually any sport being a lefty is an advantage just because it's different. There are a hugely disproportionate number of southpaws in baseball, especially pitchers. (I do realize that sometimes right-handers bat as southpaws for the edge it gives.)

Boxing, fencing, hockey, and tennis all have large advantages to southpaws, though I've heard that there are minor advantages in basketball & other sports too. About the only sports I can think of that it wouldn't be on minor advantage are sports where you aren't really up against anyone, you just have competing scores. (golf/bowling/marksmanship etc.)

An interesting article about it here - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/s...advantage.html .

As a summary; the less time someone has to react in a sport, the bigger of an advantage being a southpaw is. So in baseball 30% of top pitchers are southpaw, while in squash only 9% are because it's a somewhat slower paced game. Also, apparently cultures which were more warlike historically have a higher % of lefties because of the advantage it gave in combat.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    my pc's are all left-handed, left-eyed, and left-footed.
    Is "left-eyed" a joke, or is having a dominant eye an actual thing? I've seriously never even heard that before, and never personally noticed a difference between having one eye closed versus the other one.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

27. - Top - End - #27

People seriously gave you grief about being left-handed as a kid? Wow; I've never heard of that in real life before.
    This can be a cultural and age thing. I know that in my country, it's not that long ago that left-handed people were forced to be right-handed in school (forced to write right-handed and everything, in some cases they'd tie your left hand behind your back to make sure you didn't feel tempted to use it at all). When I say long ago though, I'm talking about my parents'/grandparents' generation. In some cultures, the left-hand is considered unclean and inferior for various reasons.

I'm left-handed, but I don't think I was ever given grief for it as a kid. On the other hand, I sometimes feel like I get looked on as some kind of fantasy creature when people see I'm left-handed. ("omg you're left-handed?")

I think the only games I can think of where handedness has come up for me has been Ars Magica? Either way, it's not something that people can easily notice about a person. And most people tend not to notice unless they look closely because they're just so used to seeing things a certain way. So when you're describing your character it's natural to say "blonde hair blue eyes" because that's something you can tell from meeting a person.

It might just be my personal experience too, but I feel that left-handed people are more likely to have ambidexterity. When I was doing martial arts, almost everything I learned was from the mindset of right-handedness being dominant, like Segev I use fork in my left and knife in my right, I've learned to knit the way right-handed do but for crocheting I do it left-handed, I use my computer mouse with my right-hand, etc...
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd imagine that it would be simpler for people to use their dominant hand in-game. On the other hand (*rimshot*) there's...basically no point. It's largely irrelevant, as unless an amputation occurs there is little reason to specify which hand is being used. Sure it is an interesting tidbit to ponder, but odds are one focuses on the more obvious aspects of physiology or someone's personality over hand preference.

A game centered around a world that has an inexplicable dividing issue based on hand preference would be an interesting idea though.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Is that a serious question? Yes, hair color matters infinitely more than handedness.
    I'm not sure I have ever called out a character's dominate hand. On the other hand I can think of only one time I called out my character's hair colour, and that is because it was graying. (They were much older than you would expect.)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I had a character who cared about his enemy's dominant hand.

Because he'd make puns about "disarming" them... or say something like "Which was your off hand... well I guess they're both your off hand" after cutting off both their hands in a battle.

The joy of puns and location-based damage.