New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Curious about the art style Rich uses

Hey All,

I am a longtime admirer of the comic and the art style, and I've been trying to see if I could replicate the art style in Adobe Illustrator. I am curious if there's ever been a post or a video made about how Rich does his work?? I'd be really interested in seeing how it's done! If any of you have done any replication of the work, I'd love to see that too.

Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Curious about the art style Rich uses

As far as I know there are no videos or official tutorials from Rich, although I agree that it would certainly be interesting to see him working out a comic panel.
    If you want a general tutorial I'd recommend the true and tested Trazoi guide for inkscape. It is not illustrator, but hopefully the general themes and techniques would be applicable there as well.

When it comes to videos of drawing sessions I think I'm one of the few that has uploaded anything in that regard, and that is probably just 10 videos or so. But as most avatarist at the time I put my own "flavour" on the style so it wouldn't be for true purists.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Curious about the art style Rich uses

The closest thing I'm aware of:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    It takes literally the exact same amount of time to draw the new hands, because Illustrator CS6 has a Blob brush that creates an outlined shape from a brush stroke and merges everything you draw with that brush automatically. I just select a round Blob brush, draw the hand, then apply a color. It takes maaaaaybe a fraction of a second more per hand—though I can draw several and then color them together, so less if you average it.

So if you want to complain about how they look, whatever, but the changes to the feet consumed way more time. And all the feet in the comic put together didn't hold a candle to the time it took to draw the one entrance to the dwarven tunnels in perspective. And I don't see anyone complaining about that.

EDIT: Here's a demonstration of the Blob from Adobe:

Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas