New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Best Magic Item Compendium Items for the Price and Utility

Only skimmed it a few times but some of my favorites include:

Healing Belt 750 GP

Scout's Head Band for 3,400 GP (See Invisible and True Seeing)

Belt of Battle 6,000 GP extra actions

Magic Bedroll 500 GP

Tome of Ancient Lore 5,500 GP

Wink Brooch 600 GP

Spellsight Spectacles 1,250 GP

Survival Pouch 3,300 GP

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting 2,500 GP

Summoner's Totem 3,100 GP (Basically low level "Freebie Quicken" for target spells you cast on your SNAs)

Sending Stones 1,400 GP

Tome of Worldly Memory 1,500 GP

Flavor Items:

Everfull Mug 200 GP (This has always been one of my favorite low level magic items)

Everlasting Rations 350 GP

Troll Gut Rope 500 GP
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2007-10-06 at 08:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Best Magic Item Compendium Items for the Price and Utility

Are you asking for suggestions to improve your list? Or is this just your list?

If you're asking for suggestions, then I have:

Blessed Bandage 10gp. Stabilize damn you, stabilize!

and the Iron Ward Diamonds. DR/- is NICE.

If you weren't looking for suggestions, good list. Some stuff I hadn't seen before.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Arcanist's Gloves

Extra Magic Missle/Damage Die twice a day for only 500 gp.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Millennial Chainmail. Fast Healing 3 for a feat is really nice, especially from an item that costs 8k and is a chainshirt with a +8 max dex.

Mithralmist shirt. 3.4k for obscuring mist 7/day and a mithral chainshirt.

Dawnstar. Broken. 200 damage in a 10ft radius, 100 damage in a 30ft radius with a reflex DC 24 half is overpowered for an item that only costs 9k. You can also use it as a +5 equivalent weapon for 9k (and a feat).

Living Chain. If you can give it the sweeping enhancement, even better.

Lesser crystal of Energy Assault. Like flaming/corrosive/shock/frost, but better

Holy/Brutal Surge.

Amber Amulet of Vermin. 700 gp to summon a huge scorpion 1/day. Broken.

Circlet of Wild Surging.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vest of the Archmagi. 'nuff said
    "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words ... English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

"The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting.....It's ghost touch for your weapons AND your spells! Somewhere around 5k too, I believe. Meh for a warrior, golden for a wizard.

Truedeath Crystals (Lesser and Greater) Best conditional weapon upgrade....cause when you need to hit incorporial, you NEED to hit incorporial.

Gauntlets of Fortunate Striking at about 2k, because sometimes, you really need to NOT roll that nat 1. Also, no atunement period, so you could technically buy 4-5 pairs and change them every encounter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thanks I was looking for more suggestions. Appreciate the extra eyes and taking the time to share your knowledge psoting. Lots of useful things I missed.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2007-10-08 at 11:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

MonkGuy

A long time ago in a ... well, you get the idea.

Along with the 'Truedeath Crystals (Lesser and Greater)' I also submit the Demolition Crystals; greater that is. 10,000 GP for an item that overcomes DR, a d6 of damage, and ability to Crit constructs? Sign me up!

Also the Greater Crystal of Adaptation is definetly one for the planar travelers.
    Funny, I always figured I'd be killed by a paladin.
    So, what you're saying is we rolled a 1 on our credit check?

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Macrovore View Post
    Vest of the Archmagi. 'nuff said
    QFT

Most broken non-epic item since the Retributive Starmantle Cloak (yes, I know that combines two items, it's that cheesy).

10. - Top - End - #10

Ugh. Let's turn it into WoW.

11. - Top - End - #11

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karsh View Post
    QFT

Most broken non-epic item since the Retributive Starmantle Cloak (yes, I know that combines two items, it's that cheesy).
    What's so good about the Vest of the Archmagi?

More Stuff
    Bands of Blood Rage (Set item): 2.6k, +5 to damage and str checks 3/day for 5 rounds. Really neat.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

seeing as I'm TDY I remember seeing artificer monocles that allows you to replace identify by using detect magic.

There is also gloves that allow wear a weapon one size category higher then normal.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The Pearl of Speech at 600 GP is nice when the PCs are going to another locale with a different language and no one can speake the lingo.

Torc of the Titan is nice for a single round strength check bump usable 3, day at 3,300 GP.

Rings of Communication at 2,000 GP are nice for party coordination directing combat or splitting up to search for something (information, item or person).

The Ring of Darkvision is really nice at 2,000 GP for a party "scout" in a dungeon setting since it makes them invisible to darkvision.

14. - Top - End - #14

RedSorcererGirl

Thumbs up Re: Best Magic Item Compendium Items for the Price and Utility

Here are some good items for casters that haven't been mentioned yet (many good for non-casters too):

Armband of Elusive Action (0.8K): Ignore an attack of opportunity. Tough monster next to you? Laugh in its face as you cast anyway.

Headband of Conscious Effort (1K): Replace Fortitude save with a Concentration check. Guaranteed success for most Wizards.

Amulet of Fortune Prevailing (2.5K): Reroll a saving throw. Don't let that Natural 1 get you down.

Circlet of Mages (2.5K): Like Pearls of Power 1-3 combined into one inexpensive item.

Boots of Big Stepping (6K): Greater Teleportation up to 60 feet. Unlike the other foot slot items that transport you, this one doesn't require LOS.

Robe of Mysterious Conjuration (10K): Spontaneously cast Summon Monster spells like how a Druid can spontaneously cast Summon Nature's Ally!

Mantle of Second Chances (12K): Like casting Alter Fortune without the XP cost. Reroll any roll in the game. Negate the effect of rolling a 1 on a save, or use your imagination.

15. - Top - End - #15

Ghost Shroud - +1 Ac shirt slot, and hit incorp for 5K...good for me.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

16. - Top - End - #16

Default Worth reading

MIC "review" by Ninjadebugger: http://ninjadebugger.livejournal.com/111021.html ."This review is going to have to be a tad different. I'm going to pick out the biggest winners from the book that I happen to see, and not worry about most of the rest, except for the totally new item types."

Maybe I'll be back later with some of my own favorites.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Anklet of Translocation is another. 2k each, no atuneing period (buy at least 3-4). 10 ft teleport as a swift action 2x/day. Huge for non-tumbling fighters who just want to get that full attack in.

It really breaks with scouts though, since a 10 ft teleport gives you scirmish, then full attack rapid shot poors on the hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

the weapon and armor crystals are really nice. For the most part you dont need the top quality one and most can be gotten for a couple hundred.

19. - Top - End - #19

I´ve got the unerring urge to punch Mike Mearls, but whatever. From what I´ve seen, the MIC is chock full of seriously underpriced Items. That review contains some of the real winners.......I´d read it.
    Also, thanks to Wayril for the nice Avatar!

Mourning Ashigaru of the - Fanclub

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

More love for the Healing Belt: 6d8 healing daily, or up to 4d8 in a burst. 1k gp (errata'd to 1k; listed as 750 gp in book). Absolutely awesome for low-level cleric relief. Positive energy touch attack (standard action): use it on a fallen comrade, or yourself, or damage undead.

Combine it w/ Sneak Attack: the Sage recently said that sneak attack damage is of the same type as the cause of the damage, so your 3rd level Rogue can heal 2d8+2d6 damage 3 times per day (remember, you can make yourself flatfooted anytime you want).

edit: didn't see this already in the first post, sry.
    Last edited by jameswilliamogle; 2007-10-09 at 08:13 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jameswilliamogle View Post
    Combine it w/ Sneak Attack: the Sage recently said that sneak attack damage is of the same type as the cause of the damage, so your 3rd level Rogue can heal 2d8+2d6 damage 3 times per day (remember, you can make yourself flatfooted anytime you want).
    Where's that Morbo picture when you need it? "SNEAK ATTACK DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY". In any situation where you might possibly get sneak attack with a healing belt, the sneak attack bonus would be positive energy damage, NOT additional healing, and you would end up healing 2d8 and damaging 2d6 at the same time, with an average result of healing a mere 2 points of damage. This has been done to death with discussions involving sneak attack and cure spells, and the exact same reasoning that concluded it doesn't work with cures unless you're using them on undead where it's all damage anyway (you also need some way to sneak attack undead for this to work) also applies to the healing belt.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2007-10-09 at 09:03 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Where's that Morbo picture when you need it? "SNEAK ATTACK DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY". In any situation where you might possibly get sneak attack with a healing belt, the sneak attack bonus would be positive energy damage, NOT additional healing, and you would end up healing 2d8 and damaging 2d6 at the same time, with an average result of healing a mere 2 points of damage. This has been done to death with discussions involving sneak attack and cure spells, and the exact same reasoning that concluded it doesn't work with cures unless you're using them on undead where it's all damage anyway (you also need some way to sneak attack undead for this to work) also applies to the healing belt.
    well, damn.

23. - Top - End - #23

More love for the Healing Belt: 6d8 healing daily, or up to 4d8 in a burst. 1k gp (errata'd to 1k; listed as 750 gp in book). Absolutely awesome for low-level cleric relief. Positive energy touch attack (standard action): use it on a fallen comrade, or yourself, or damage undead.
    WotC hasn't published free errata for years. Why waste some intern's time when they already have your money? So, no errata for the healing belt.
    Last edited by Iku Rex; 2007-10-09 at 09:10 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iku Rex View Post
    WotC hasn't published free errata for years. Why waste some intern's time when they already have your money? So, no errata for the healing belt.
    You may be right... I was going by what my DM said. Still, the craft cost / item cost doesn't match, so one of them has to be wrong.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Psh, n00bs. Survival Pouch is where its at. Also, Hammerspheres.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Armads View Post
    What's so good about the Vest of the Archmagi?
    It is a combination of... Bracers of Armor +8, Cloak of Resistance +5, 9th level Pearl of Power x3, Spell Penetration as a bonus feat (that stacks with the feat), and it has a unique healing ability, as well. Pearl of Power effect is swift, too. For 200,000 gp.

27. - Top - End - #27

Devil

Ring of spellbattle-know all the spells that are bing cast around you(even if you don't see them) and 1/day redirect a spell however you want(just needs a spellcrafy check)

Shirt of the leech-know when all the healing is happening(thus if you see the enemy cleric casting something and one healing spell registers on the shirt you know its him) and 1/day steal that healing spell(without even a spellcraft check)

Strongarm Bracers-wield a weapon 1 size larger

deathstrike bracers-Sneak attack undead and golems

bolt tunic-a T-shirt that helps you teleport...not very inconspicuous though...

third eye dominate-dominate a monster a day!

wand bracelet-keep wands and weapons just a free action away without using up an equipment slot.

third eye conceal-now you are invisible to divination spells...combine with invisibility and silence and you practically don't exist in this world...

shiftweave-a 5 face garment for just 500 gp

Ring of universal energy resistance(goes up to 30 for greater 180000)

Ring of greater counterspells-name says it...just for 16k!!

mask of lies-indispensable for those who don't want to reveal their true nature(or alignment) for just 4500!

28. - Top - End - #28

See the stickied Bunko's Bargain Basement thread on the WotC CharOp boards for items that are just plain awesome for the price.
    Last edited by OneWinged4ngel; 2007-10-09 at 05:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

edit: didn't see this already in the first post, sry.
    Healing isn't a damage type, last I checked. You don't sneak-heal. Though you could gravestrike sneak damage undead with cure spells. And what you said isn't a sage ruling: SA damage has always been same type, as in "hey, your SA with burning ray does fire damage."

Also, where the *heck* was the belt errata'ed to 1k?

Quote Originally Posted by Kioran View Post
    I´ve got the unerring urge to punch Mike Mearls, but whatever. From what I´ve seen, the MIC is chock full of seriously underpriced Items. That review contains some of the real winners.......I´d read it.
    By contrast, I feel most items were overpriced before, and couldn't even hope to compare to the Big Six. I feel that the MiC is a big improvement to the giant mound of useless **** found in most other books.

Though, there *are* a couple of items that are "too good" in the MiC (hey, they've got over a thousand in there, you can't expect them all to be wonderful. At least, not with WotC at the wheel.)

Ring of Spell Battle and Belt of Battle are overpowered for fairly obvious reasons (heck, even compare to the pricing of items that do less, but have a similar purpouse, in the same book!)
    Last edited by OneWinged4ngel; 2007-10-09 at 06:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OneWinged4ngel View Post
    Healing isn't a damage type, last I checked. You don't sneak-heal. Though you could gravestrike sneak damage undead with cure spells. And what you said isn't a sage ruling: SA damage has always been same type, as in "hey, your SA with burning ray does fire damage."

Also, where the *heck* was the belt errata'ed to 1k?
    OneWinged4ngel is right. Also, Wizards of the Coast doesn't release errata anymore, so I would also like to see where it was errata'ed.

By contrast, I feel most items were overpriced before, and couldn't even hope to compare to the Big Six. I feel that the MiC is a big improvement to the giant mound of useless **** found in most other books.
    Very very True

Though, there *are* a couple of items that are "too good" in the MiC (hey, they've got over a thousand in there, you can't expect them all to be wonderful. At least, not with WotC at the wheel.)
    Also true

Ring of Spell Battle and Belt of Battle are overpowered for fairly obvious reasons (heck, even compare to the pricing of items that do less, but have a similar purpouse, in the same book!)
    The Ring of Spell Battle is cheese, and anything that grants additional actions is broken.

I personally have found MIC an amazing buy, and I'm glad I have it.