Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 311
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The_Specialist's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    The Surface of the Sun

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Tsunami
    Conditions: None
    Potential: 3/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
    • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
    • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.


    “Sh*t...!” A rush of guilty panic floods his system as he feels himself losing his grip on one of the unconscious bodies, slickened by the still tacky blood coating his fingers. Before the goons can endure a rude wakening slamming face first into the ground however, sheets of pure light slide in to catch them and save Max from his mess.

    "Need a hand, boy?" The words cause him to immediately bristle, however. Wide eyes flicker up to take in the majesty of Lightbringer; undeniably awe inspiring and prime material for an action figure, her authoritative presence instead fills Tsunami with a sense of cool dread. He feels no gratitude nor relief; as far as Tsunami is concerned, the situation just got much worse.

    He doesn’t step up to answer immediately, because there are a million things at once running through his head. It wouldn’t have been a very long pause, but Ronin speaks up first all the same. That anger burns deeper; she shouldn’t have to answer. It should have been him. No, it should have been Hikari. But he shouldn’t have faltered in her absence. Not just that- he needed to be the one to speak first, and cut off anyone from revealing more than he wanted known. He desperately wants to keep the truth of the matter from everyone outside of the team. Until they can determine what the disc and ‘The Wave’ are, he has no idea who they can trust.

    As Ronin explains what happened, that dread creeps deeper into his core, and he tries to focus simply on not looking like he’s losing his mind as much as he feels like he is. He definitely doesn’t notice as Moonshadow creeps around behind or pops up next to him, his eyes only darting towards her as she speaks. He is simultaneously embarrassed and grateful for her concern.

    “Uh... I’m...” He tries to answer, but comes up short. It’s a small thing, but one that possibly adds to the worry. Not that Max is ever entirely eloquent, but he is rarely reduced to filler sounds and stammering; the young man tends to stay quiet for up to even uncomfortable lengths of time to make sure his words are put together, if needed, rather than speak hastily and risk tripping. The blank stutter of a sound does seem to line up with the emptiness of his stare. He shakes head very subtly to Moonshadow, instead. He’s not entirely alright. And it’s not something he wants to hash out here and now, with Lightbringer bearing down on them. That, and he’s trying to keep track of what Ronin is saying, in case he needs to do damage control. Which he can’t explain here and now either, why he has to. He doesn’t want to cut in unless he absolutely has to either, because he doesn’t know how to interrupt Ronin without looking suspicious.

    Stained fingers curl into fists as Ronin explains that they were too late to get to the fugitive in time, confirming that they did in fact uncover what Coyote was up to, to an unspecified degree at least. It’s stated vaguely enough that it’s perhaps unclear whether Ronin means they were too late to find the girl, or too late to save her, but he’s going to have to get ahead of any line of questioning involving the girl or why he is so bloody. Max’s teeth grind behind the mask; he really didn’t want to have to admit to finding the girl at all, because as far as he knows, anyone or anything could be part of ‘The Wave’, and if Coyote was willing to kill one of her own for the disc, who knows who else might be looking for it and what they might be willing to do to get it. He also definitely doesn’t want Coyote to know they recovered it, either. He now feels obligated to tell something much more close to the truth than he wants to. He’s angry, but he doesn’t blame Ronin, not entirely; she wasn’t there, to see, and hear, and understand the depth of how they obtained the disc. It should be Hikari.

    If he doesn’t volunteer now, they’re going to wonder why he was being evasive. It doesn’t occur to Max that being silent is a perfectly acceptable symptom of being in emotional shock.

    Dammit...

    “We...” He forces himself to speak, before anyone else gets a chance, though his tone and pacing remain a bit halted and stiff from the effort to control his emotion; perhaps it’s for the best, he’s not the best actor, but he’s still affected by very real emotions which he hopes make the lies he’ll have to add just as believable. “When we noticed... a lot of the Knights seemed to be searching for something, I went to follow. I caught a pair of them and they... confirmed it was a person, but implied she didn’t have long left after... whatever Coyote had done to her. I found her, and... that was correct. She was barely conscious, suffering massive blood loss from her wounds,” He turns his hands over, holding them palm up after a hesitant pause, as if to explain his current state and confirm he was the one who found her, though struggles to lift his gaze away from his own hands afterwards. Now to slowly deviate from the full truth. I was too late to save her, she bled out... so fast. She couldn’t even talk.” He hopes that everyone picks up on that last line and infers from it what he wants them to. We learned nothing of their mission.

    “I tried to ask-.. I mean, I just tried to help, she was... a mess. She was... she was dressed like one of Coyote’s people, but I don’t know who she was beyond that... She just looked so scared. S-So.. We don’t really know what their aim was, beyond killing her. It seemed like a lot of trouble, for one person. I guess they succeeded, though. Maybe this was all some kind of power struggle. I left when she passed... one of my team called emergency services, so they’ve probably found her by now.” He explains, praying that sounds as natural and believable as it needs to. It's not so much a lie as a grand bending and omission of truths.

    There is a pause as Tsunami lowers his hands, fingers curling into loose fists again, his stance overly stiff, as he seems to be struggling with no small amount of guilt, and possibly still shaken from handling a death first hand. Which isn’t untrue.

    “I believe the hostages were all diverted to safety, sir, and it looks like the others apprehended Coyote, so I guess you can ask her yourself, what was worth all this trouble,” Max tries to conclude and excuse himself from further speaking, keeping his own eyes averted from Lightbringer and his team alike, frustrated with the entire situation, and his own state.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Hikari
    Conditions:
    Potential: 1/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Devil or Angel on My Shoulder: When you provoke a teammate to violent action or drastic measures as your Hero Persona, roll with your Alias Label. When you discourage a teammate from going overboard or making an action they can’t take back as your Alias Persona, roll + your Hero Label.
    • [X]Save the Light: When you step in to intervene, help a civilian, or stop a threat roll + your Hero label. On a miss, you’re made to look the fool. Mark a Condition and give ground. On a hit, you’ve got someone’s attention. Use it as an opportunity or provoke them to action. On a 10+ your foe must respond in kind or flee.


    Cutting away from the rest of the team and the sudden appearance of Lightbringer, the panels return to Hikari. Having dropped off Roberto, she stands in the paved parking lot of the orphanage, leaning against Sakura. She's dressed in a simple black t-shirt, her heather gray A Banditry sweater now tied around her waist. In her hands, she holds the melted, half-eaten remains of her ice cream cone. Sighing, she pitches the inedible treat into a nearby trashcan and fishes her phone out of her pocket, tapping out a quick message in the team chat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari
    Had to take Roberto back to the orphanage.
    Good work today.
    Meet up later to check out disc?
    Setting her status to Unavailable but checking that her location is still broadcasting, she locks her phone and teleportal key in Sakura's storage compartment. Leaving the bike parked, she slips out of the lot and takes a walk down the street.

    Casually strolling past the nearby park, tweeting birdcalls fill the air. Hikari stops abruptly, cocking her head to listen.

    Chickadee-dee-dee-dee. Chickadee-dee-dee-dee.

    She knew that sound. Chickadees in the trees, sounding an alarm call. Jin made her learn it, and a few other calls too. A Banditry used them in the field sometimes.

    Still looking out for me, huh?

    Continuing along, it's not much farther that she spots the familiar figure on the bench. She doesn't bother suppressing a scowl as she approaches. "And you're too close. Three blocks, minimum. Even the birds have you made, idiot."

    Despite her grumbling, Hikari takes the offered seat on the bench. She reaches her hand into her jeans pocket, a cut-away panel showing the contents - wallet, keys, a slim box, and the successfully-deposited note. Withdrawing the slim box, Hikari clicks her tongue in mock sympathy. "Aww what happened, your date stand you up?"

    Giving the box a quick shake, a skinny chocolate-dipped biscuit stick pops up from a hole in the box. Hikari pulls the stick out with her teeth and chews on one end. "She just has the best timing. As if I didn't have enough going on already today." A quick crunch reduces the biscuit stick's length by a fourth as Hikari chews. "I'll meet you there in fifteen. What's the place?"

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Razade, The GM
    Pool:
    1

    Tumult lets out what can only be described as an exasperated sigh. The pair of you didn't get off on the right foot from the start, six months down the line hasn't done much to improve the combative (one might say catty) air between you both. The scowl is returned, growing even deeper when you throw your barbs. "Something came up. My love life might be hopeless but one of these days someone'll like me for who I am. With your attitude? You're going to be alone forever. Even the birds have you made."

    He stands slowly, stretching with the scowl still etched on his face. "Inquisitive Bite. You're going to love it."

    The name's well known in San Fran, an east Coast chain run by some big named hero turned business magnate. It's not high class, or even class at all, little more than a fast food chain. One in a long line of "dinner casual" start ups that have grown in popularity over the last ten years as if nicer seats and soft college rock really makes them that much more different than some soulless burger factory with a drive thru and a ball pit.

    True to form, your feet crunch on peanut shells that litter the floor. Part of the "aesthetic", one in a number of dull gimmicks dreamed up in a corporate meeting somewhere to make the place feel authentic and homey. The Halcyon sports jerseys and pictures of some cross eyed dog complete the facade. The place is loud, the food is quick and Tumult sits far enough back that you have to trudge through all of it to reach him. He doesn't say anything, merely sliding a dark red envelope across the table to you. Koto-sensei's personal stamp all over the damn thing.

    It seems, once you get a moment to look it over, you're not off the hook from your last job with the Iron Devil. Sure it's been six months and whatever it was you were there to steal is probably under even more strict security but Koto-sensei is adamant that you're going to get it for her this time. The Iron Devil was a lost cause, the note explains, from the get go. An outside element that the Clan didn't trust from the start. Tumult will be joining you along with a few names you don't recognize. The hit will be tomorrow night so you have time to prepare. The item, no longer at some Wukong Warehouse, has been moved to Monkey Island itself.

    The panels cut to the aforementioned location. In sight of the Monsoon, Monkey Island stands proud. A modern skyscrapper bedecked with greenery, it served as the base of operations for the Monkey King, founder of Wukong Industries. Now it remains as the central hub for the innovative weapons manufacturing company, an indelible stamp of how San Fransapporo has changed just in the past several years.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-07-02 at 09:35 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Sunburst
    Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless, Angry
    Potential: 2/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

    3

    Shielding

    You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

    Moat

    Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

    Reality Storm

    You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

    Snatch

    Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.


    Sunburst was more than a little relieved to have not been called on her bluff, her posture loudly communicating that, despite not taking a single hit, she was very much feeling like she couldn't go another round. She starts to walk forward, ready to start the drudge work of clean-up duty. She manages just two steps before the sky is lit up. Her first reaction is to flinch. Worried that she may have inadvertently done something by accident, she turned back to the source with wide eyes.

    She felt a twisting in her chest, uncertainty filling her as she found herself looking up at Lightbringer. On the one hand, it was a relief to know that she wasn't putting out power without even realising she was doing it. On the other hand...

    "Oi leai..."

    She found herself standing beside Ground Zero again. This was Lightbringer. There's a series of flashback panels. Lanuola testing out her powers at a young age, striking a pose that mirrors that of a younger Lightbringer on the news. Another pair shows her with a Lightbringer action figure, facing off against a horde of green plastic soldiers. She fires off a beam of light from behind her action figure, then yelps in shock as she inadvertently sets the carpet on fire. A final flashback panel from just a few years back simply shows Lanuola's face, a crestfallen look on it as the unseen television discusses whether the heroine's steadily more hardline stance was justifiable.

    Snapping back to the present, Sunburst has reached out to take the hand of the person nearest to her, seeking stability to ground herself with. Belatedly she realises that it is, in fact, still Ground Zero next to her. Her cheeks quite literally light up at the realisation, though she also doesn't try to let go. Beating back an entirely different set of emotions in her chest, she tries to focus on what's being said in front of her. At some point in her inner monologue, Ronin had arrived and given a very succinct summary. The mention of someone being chased and injured brought a worried expression to her face, and when Tsunami in turn talked about how that person had died in his arms, she felt her blood run cold.

    Her grip on Kai's hand tightened a little, seeking support as she processed that someone had died during this fight. If she'd been in the right place, could she have saved them? Did that make it her fault for not making the right decision..?

    Her face paled as her gaze dropped, even as she tried to remind herself that she simply hadn't known there was someone in that much danger here.
    Last edited by Comissar; 2019-07-03 at 08:56 AM.



    GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

    Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show


    Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Moonshadow]
    Conditions: Angry, Insecure, Hopeless
    Potential: 3/5

    Cindy shifts uncomfortably as Tsunami stumbles his way into refusing to answer her question. One hand reaches up to squeeze her friend's shoulder, then retracts as she remembers his rules about personal space*. Instead both are pushed into her pockets, her weapon hanging off her belt. She shuffles her feet, grinding the gravel under her ten dollar sneakers.

    Tsunami is speaking to Lightbringer now, but Moonshadow keeps looking down at her shoes, listening without looking at the older hero. The gleaming figure, hovering in the air, is cold and polished and perfect, like a diamond, while Cindy feels a clot of mud by comparison. She vaguely remembers that sis had a thing about her once, and wonders how she feels seeing her hero in person. Probably scared, Cindy can't help but think, knowing her sister as she does.

    This, perhaps charming, train of though is brutally derailed by Tsunami's next words. Moonshadow's moving feet abruptly still, and her head flicks up, looking at Tsunami with a mouth that hangs slightly open. While she'd been making witty quips and getting stuck in doors, someone was bleeding and dying? It didn't seem right, as if the brightly colored neons of the comic book page had been drained of colour, reduced to black and white. For a moment Cindy closes her eyes, the next panel cutting to a view of the corpse, fuzzy and oddly formless. Dominating the scene, in her mind's eye at least, a river of blood flows down the street, an overly bright red in contrast to looming shadows all around.

    The scene lingers for a moment, panel elongating across the page, before Moonshadow's eyes flick open. The feeling of shock lingers unpleasantly in her gut, even as she shuts her mouth with a faint clunk. One hand to reaches out to squeeze Tsunami's shoulder, though whether out of a desire to comfort or a need to feel human touch remains a debateable point.

    *'Which are, like, so stupid, but whatever, if he doesn't like people it's none of my business.

    **Because, as said above, his rules around personal space are, like, stupid***.

    ***Although, considering that Cindy hasn't given him a vicious bear-hug, Tsunami should be feeling lucky that she showed even a modicum of restraint.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Razade, The GM
    Pool:
    1

    Lightbringer, resolute and inscrutable, stands in silence as first Ronin and then Tsunami make their case about what went down only moments before. Her gaze flicks only briefly to Coyote and her compatriot and then to the river. "There will be time for interrogations." Her voice is cool, still as she shifts to put Ronin into full focus. "That is interesting information, we'd been unaware of Coyote and her gang's moves as of late. Too busy with more pressing villains."

    Coyote rankles at those words, even with eyes downcast the grimace across her features is plain. Lightbringer continues.

    "How did you come to this intel? I know you, Ronin. Are you hiding something?"
    Lightbringer's eyes narrow, the air growing hot as the midday sun seems to grow more intense. "Perhaps this is just a diversion, a ploy by the Warlords. I will be watching you especially closely. How else would you know so much? And then there is you, boy." Her tone grows sharper at the last word. She sees your cracks, she's pushing on them. Trying to let the Light in.

    "I know of you as well. The Smith's child, an outsider. A Fisher*." Lightbringer turns to bring her full attention to you Tsunami,and now Moonshadow with her brief attempt at comfort stalled by the circumstances. Her eyes flick to Moonshadow as the shock seems to hit her. "Trauma is insidious. It clouds the mind, makes one doubt oneself. I suggest you all take several days to mull this all over. You especially boy. The first death is the hardest, your mind rarely recollects everything perfectly after the event. I will send someone to speak to you and your tinker in a weeks time. Once the event is more clear in your memories." Her tone is all the harsher as she turns to address all of you. "I will be sending someone to speak with all of you. We will get to the bottom of this. Together."

    As she speaks the panels focus more fully on Coyote and Bruja, both practically trembling by the end. With a jolt, Coyote breaks free from whoever's holding her to rush at Lightbringer. A katana gleams in her hand, pulled from who knows where, rage and tears in her eyes. "We tru-!"

    And then she's gone, a beam from the sky erupting about Coyote in a dazzling display leaving only a scorched mark on the ground where she was moments ago. Lightbringer stands motionless, if she's shocked she remains as unreadable as ever. "You may leave the other in my care, I will handle the authorities myself." Her tone seems to soften, even if for a moment, as she drifts over to Bruja who shrinks away in terror. "Children your age have more important things to do than talk about collateral. I doubt any of you could pay to have this all fixed anyway. Begone."

    The elder hero waves a hand at all of you dismissively. It is not a request, it would seem. Perhaps your lucky she' not pressing the matter...yet. Perhaps it gives you a, probably good, reason to fear even more. The whole affair may be over in one arena but the event itself already has ripples like a piece of potassium thrown into a lake.

    The question now however is...do you all have things going on after this?

    Sunburst, if by coincidence or providence, don't you have your bi-weekly meeting with Kintsugi? Or your weekly meeting with the group at least? The Director can probably use your help considering how rowdy the last meeting got. How rowdy was it, by chance?

    One would imagine, even with the scrutiny on you both, Ronin and Tsunami...you're totally going to check out that disk right?

    What about you other three? Hikari's ditched you. A message on all of your phones confirming she's not going to be much help in the immediate future. Do you have anywhere to be? How about you, Lion? Your family has probably heard about this whole kerfuffle by now...and the media is unlikely to show you handling yourself well. Do you feel you need to explain yourself? What about you Moonshadow? Your sister has her weekly meeting, are you going to go with her? What about Ground Zero...they'd been awfully close this whole time. Maybe now's the time to talk to him about that? What about you Ground Zero? What plans did you have for the later part of the day? A photo-shoot? Just relaxing? Homework?

    What do you all do?

    *Fisher is what most outside Halcyon City call people from Halcyon City. Usually a pejorative, or at least demeaning.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ground Zero
    Conditions: none
    Potential: 3/5


    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    Freak: +1
    Danger: +2
    Savior: 0
    Superior: +1
    Mundane:-1


    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    In a China Shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
    Physics? What physics: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.



    Lightbringer, The LIGHTBRINGER, had arrived. All divine light, shining armor and flowing robes, and her appearance fills him with a sense of awe only matched by the rare times in the cacophony, when the whole world wasn't tearing itself apart, and he got to see a view he could scarcely believe and didn't have the words to describe. Then he feels a hand gripping his own and the feeling grounds him back in the moment. He looks to see who it is that reached out to him and sees that it is Lanuola standing next to him and some of Lightbringer's light seems to reflecting off of her face and giving her the appearance of her cheeks literally glowing.

    Kai is glad that Ronin and Tsunami take charge with the debrief, as he's starting to think that the heat of the explosions might have affected him more than he thought, as he's feeling a little light headed, and would no doubt trip and stumble over his words if he tried to add something.

    Then Tsunami's words register. Someone died. His thoughts immediately go to what he could have done differently. Should he have relied on Lanuola to protect the people on the boat while he searched? Could he have flown her to a hospital in time? Could his powers have slowed the bleeding? Then, mockingly, his own words come back to him, talking about how he didn't care about saving the city.

    The hand holding his tightens, pulling him from his thoughts. He looks to Lanuola to see the exact struggle going on his own mind reflected in her expression. "It wasn't your fault. You did nothing wrong," the words are quiet and slip out before Kai even realises he's saying them.

    With his focus on Lanuola, he almost misses it when Coyote breaks free and charges Lightbringer. One thing he certainly didn't miss was the pillar of light that came down and replaced Coyote with a scorch mark. And suddenly Lightbringer is reminding him of the cacophony again, but this time it's the constant threat of being unmade in an instant by an unfeeling force of nature.

    As Lightbringer dismisses them he takes a step back, trying not to think about what Lightbringer just did, and pulling Lanuola with him. Once there's some space between them and Lightbringer he allows himself to relax. Only to remember a moment later, that the reason he was in the river market in the first place, was because he was killing time while slowly making his towards a photo shoot that was starting in...Kai pulls his phone out of his pocket, fifteen minutes in the Bay district.

    With a moment of hesitation, he pulls his hand free from Lanuola and jogs over to pick up the jacket he discarded before taking on the Knights. Making his way back to stand in front of Lanuola, he feels like he should say something, but he has absolutely no idea what that thing is. Instead he notices the tattered state her clothes were left in from charging her powers, and pulls his jacket over her shoulders.

    "I-uh, I've got work soon, but I got a bit of time if you need to get somewhere." Kai says while gesturing over his shoulder.

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Sunburst
    Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless, Angry
    Potential: 2/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

    3

    Shielding

    You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

    Moat

    Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

    Reality Storm

    You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

    Snatch

    Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.


    Lanuola continues to not speak up as Lightbringer lectures the team. It felt... Wrong... To do so. Even if she wasn't sure she agreed with the hero, she'd been a hero for so much longer, and had so much more experience, that she wasn't really sure she could say anything that wouldn't sound trite to her.

    "It wasn't your fault." Sunburst stiffens, the words coming from off-panel. She glances to Ground Zero, her teammate steadfastedly staring forward, "You did nothing wrong."

    Though he looked toward her as he finished his statement, Lanuola found she couldn't hold his gaze, her eyes dropping to the ground just ahead of her. She's hesitant, and it looks like she's about to say something when Coyote Knight breaks free. Her gaze snaps up, chest tightening. She'd been so sure that Coyote wasn't a threat any more!

    Before she can even really react, though, a brilliant beam of light lances down and engulfs the villainess. A close up on Sunburst shows her horrified reaction as her free hand rises to cover her mouth. Then she's being gently pulled away. She's lost enough in her thoughts, as well as trying to deal with the now shattered image she'd had of Lightbringer, that she once again is mute until Kai comes to a stop and pulls free of her hand.

    Lanuola runs a hand through her hair as she tries to process the last five minutes, startling a little at the feeling of a jacket being put over her.

    "I-uh, I've got work soon, but I got a bit of time if you need to get somewhere."

    Lanuola gives Kai a blank look for a moment or two. She did have to be somewhere, right..? She blinked. Right. Kintsugi. She gave a hesitant nod. "U-uh... Yeah... I've, uh, I've got a-a group meeting I need to, uh, to get to..." She hugs her arms across her chest, feeling the unfamiliar weight of the jacket on her shoulders even as she comes to the uncomfortable realisation of how the meeting was likely to go settling in, "... It's, uh, it's a few blocks that way." She nods her head in the direction she needed to go.



    GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

    Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show


    Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions: Insecure
    Potential: 0/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.


    Ronin couldn’t help but feel hopeful as Lightbringer conceded that she had provided information that they hadn’t been aware of; an excellent start! That was, of course, until the other woman turned things around not only questioned her methods but implied this whole thing could be a distraction perpetrated by her family?

    The jagged line across the middle of a close-up panel of her face behind the HUD shows how hard this hits her.

    No. I refuse to accept that this is all I am, that it is all I will ever be! She’s not sure if she’s rejecting Lightbringer’s claim that she not clever enough to have figured this out or the Biolator’s scoff that she was out of her depth, but either way, they were both wrong!

    ”I assure you, the information is accurate,” she replies, a bit stiffly. ”I’m quite good at putting disparate facts together. Coyote was not working on behalf of the Warlords--”

    She is cut off when the abovementioned defeated villain lurches to her feet, cries out, and is summarily obliterated with a strike that dwarfs anything she’s expected to see from even a first-tier hero like Lightbringer.

    MIHO—

    ”I know, buddy,” she replies quietly. After such a display she doesn’t interject again, allowing Lightbringer to be (admittedly helpfully) dismissive of their capabilities and resources.

    ”VR keyboard,” she requests of Chisei, and begins typing in mid-air, the armour’s gauntlets mapping the motions as she composes a text to the rest of the team.

    Something is hinky here; Tsu, I need you to come check out our mystery package at the lair, she sends. I don’t know what’s off, for sure, but it might be a goos idea if everyone else went about their usual business, in case someone is watching the players in the aftermath of this…mess. We’ll keep you updated.

    Gently grasping Max by the shoulder, she draws him a little distance from the others; not by chance this is also further from Lightbringer.

    ”We need to figure this out,” she says with some urgency, and as much sotto voice as her armour will allow. ”If I’m correct…” Ronin goes on, glancing over at Lightbringer where she’s terrorizing Bruja.

    ”…she might be the one behind all of this.”


    Spoiler: CRUNCH
    Show
    Rejecting Influenece with Lightbringer: 7. -1 Mundane, +1 Superior. Advancement: Play from Another Book

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The_Specialist's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    The Surface of the Sun

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Tsunami
    Conditions: None
    Potential: 3/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
    • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
    • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.


    The line between being a hero and being a villain is thinner for some; Lightbringer’s shift towards more hard-line tactics has also shifted her in Max’s mind ever closer to that line, and he hadn’t realized just how uncomfortable she made him till this moment. When she narrows her burning gaze on Ronin and implies that his team mate is somehow plotting with the Warlords, Max’s blood boils hot again. His teeth grit behind the mask, and the other emotions running high make it that much more difficult to keep his eyes from stinging with moisture again, but he couldn’t forgive that. His fingers curl into fists, as he fights his inner thoughts. How dare you!

    When her full attention bears down on him however, he’s almost rendered queasy as the heat abruptly flashes cold in his veins, though only for a moment. Being called a Fisher brings back the admittedly futile rage, and every time the word ‘boy’ leaves her lips he finds himself imagining her being abruptly catapulted into space. He’s grateful for the physical mask hiding his seething grimace, not that it really likely hides his overarching emotional state all too well at the moment. At least for now, he can focus his anger on Lightbringer, rather than himself, and the guilt waiting to revisit and consume him.

    When Cindy’s hand reaches out a second time and actually makes contact, he doesn’t tense up from the touch. To be fair, he’s already pretty tense already, but he actually seems to lean into the squeeze ever so slightly, perhaps not visibly, and he definitely doesn’t fight away from it. Out of sight of Lightbringer and once clean, he might even accept that bear-hug, for a once in a life time experience. He does however turn his head subtly but visibly in Moonshadow’s direction, in a form of acknowledgement and perhaps even gratitude, his eyes almost lifting to her face but not quite as he's still struggling to really hold anyone's gaze. Even more shocking, his opposite hand lifts towards hers as though intending to place it over Cindy's as a more overt yet still silent means of communicating said gratitude, but seeing and realizing how... dirty... his hands still are, he quickly drops it.

    The thought of Lightbringer sending people to speak to them has him both frustrated and nauseated again; her words, ‘There will be time for interrogations’ flit through his mind once more. She was referring to the villains at the time, but even then he feels pity for them, and he’s not sure if they’re getting out much better.

    He wasn’t sure that is, until Lightbringer appears to unceremoniously obliterate Coyote, leaving him no time to even concern himself with what it sounded like Coyote was trying to say and do prior. Ice in the veins again, and he’s glad for Cindy’s hand reminding him that this is reality and not a dream. Glad might not be the right word, actually. It would be better if this was all a dream.

    For a moment however, Tsunami is so entirely overcome with righteous disbelief and blinding anger that he can’t move, barely remembering to breath; it feels like his head is simply full of static. Lightbringer’s callous dismissal grants him the ability to remember how to take breath, though it’s fast and unsteady, as he’s rapidly losing control. He finally pulls away from under Cindy’s reassuring hold, though it’s clearly not because of it, rather an unconscious reaction to what he’s just seen, and his natural tendency of flight vs. fight instincts leaning towards fight.

    “What the--” A second hand catches his opposite shoulder however, and gentle as the initial grip is, it breaks him out of straight up cussing after Lightbringer or worse, chasing after. Which is objectively probably for the best, even if the righteous horror hasn’t left his gaze. He stares incredulously at who has just touched him instead, Ronin. At first there’s definitely resistance to being guided away, the gesture in this instance just made to aggravate him, but he does inevitably relent in the end and follow his suited team mate away from the others. His gaze goes from dazed to intent and expectant. The fury never leaves, but at least it doesn’t seem directed at her.

    He doesn’t respond to the first statement, regardless of its urgency; that much he feels is an obvious truth. They need to figure this out, and the faster the better. He only turns his head slightly when Ronin glances over towards Lightbringer, not really wanting to look at her again, nor wanting to make it too obvious they’re discussing her, should anyone be looking.

    "...she might be the one behind all of this."

    The last words confirm a paranoid suspicion that has been questioning somewhere in the back of his mind. He hadn’t yet thought that the hero was specifically behind it perhaps, but he’s certainly started to wonder if she might be involved. Really, everyone is suspect in his mind. But Lightbringer’s actions did make him more uneasy than ever.

    Quite stiffly, Tsunami nods in some form of agreement.

    “I’m going back to base. If anyone else has nowhere to be... come too. We have a lot to talk about.” He utters the last words larger under his breath, so that beyond Ronin standing right next to him, and anyone hooked into their voice chat, it isn’t really audible.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Moonshadow
    Conditions: Angry, Insecure, Hopeless
    Potential: 3/5

    "What. THE F**K?*" Tsunami might pull away, but Cindy's hand remains hovering in the air, her attention focused instead on the rapidly disappearing glow of Lightbringer. "I MEAN-BUT-you can't-we'll..." The disjointed sentences trail into nothing as her hand lowers, and she her gaze drops, defeated. In her belt hangs her Nifo Oti, but what use is a sword against a god?

    She rubs her hand across her mouth, slowly, and walks over to the burnt patch on the concrete, squatting next to the dark brown smear that appears to be the mortal remains of Coyote Knight. Cindy peers at it for a moment, before cautiously extending one hand to touch, almost immediately sucking it back as the soil sizzles beneath her finger tips. Back in Samoa they'd attended an open air cremation once, so she remembers the smell of something meaty burning, but here the scent is metallic and electric, nothing like what she thought it ought to be. Getting up hurriedly, Cindy shakes her burnt fingers, while she bites the back of her hand and works to hold the vomit in.

    Moonshadow's squints slightly, tilting her head to one side, as her stomach turns over and comes rushing up her neck. For a few moments the muscles in her neck work visibly, before she turns and walks towards her sister. There's a forced casualness in her movements as she slowly strolls alongside, before wordlessly reaching for Lanuola's hand**. Cindy stands silently for a moment, before, from one pocket, comes the sound of her phone. Almost idly she picks it up, looks at the caller ID, and raises it to her ear.

    "Hey, Tina," there's a long pause before Cindy continues, and muffled, indecipherable sounds of another voice can be heard by passers by, "no, where not dead. Yes I'm fine. Yes Lan's fine..."

    *The true significance of this will not be felt by anyone except her sister, who will appreciate that her sister, for all her 'street' vibes, swears only on very special occasions and when she's foolish enough to play those stupid mobile games that her younger sibling seems to love.

    **Once again, the sisterly intuition of Lanuola doubtless informs her that her sister is putting on something of act. Also, if she was holding much tighter there would be imminent risk of broken fingers on the part of Sunburst.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Sunburst
    Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless, Angry
    Potential: 2/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

    3

    Shielding

    You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

    Moat

    Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

    Reality Storm

    You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

    Snatch

    Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.


    Lanuola lets her arms drop down to her sides as she spots Cindy coming over to join her, letting her sister take her hand. She finds herself wincing a bit at the strength of her grip but, given what they'd both just seen, she declined to comment. She glances briefly to Cindy when her phone rings, then to Kai as the conversation starts. "U-umm... Cindy usually, uh, usually comes with me to the group meetings."

    Though she'd never actually asked why she did... There's a flashback panel, the colours tinted and muted just a little to indicate that the events are in the past. She's arriving at her Kintsugi meeting, Cindy walking with her. A second shows her giving her sister a hug. "See you in a bit..."

    Back in the present, she's started to walk toward the meeting. With Cindy on the phone, Lanuola found herself feeling obligated to explain what the meeting was for to Kai. "So, uh, the meeting I'm going to is, uh, is for people like... Like me..."

    The panels transition back to the flashback style, now showing Lanuola in a fairly dreary looking room. Around two dozen chairs have been pulled into a circle. Most are occupied, a few are empty. Lanuola herself is in the process of sitting down.

    "And, uh, and when I say people like me I mean... W-well, uh, people w-who can't control themselves or their, uh, their powers too well..."

    There's a shot from behind Lanuola, showing the rest of the group. There's no real cohesive look to the group, though most of those present are at most young adults. Some appear to be timid, others bored, and a handful look outright frustrated at having to be present. Two in particular get close-up panels. The first is a scruffy looking woman. Her hair is cut short and is brown and frizzy. Her clothes look very well-worn, covered in stains and burn marks. She plays with a cigarette in her hands, and a closer look shows that there's faint wisps of smoke rising from her fingertips. The panel has a red-orange textbox with a flame pattern within it, naming her as Kaley Southall, AKA Firebrand. Convicted Arsonist.

    The second focus panel is on a man. He looks wiry, thin. His hair is tied back into a ponytail, long enough to trail down to his shoulders. His clothing is, perhaps surprisingly for the setting, a suit. Though as with Firebrand's clothing, it looks heavily worn. Perhaps his only suit. He looks to be trying very hard to sit still, his jaw visibly clenched, and his knuckles white as he grips at his knees. He also gets a textbox, his is an electric blue with little lightning tracers etched into the background, naming him as Akihito Tanaka, no known alias. Estranged heir of Rakurai Industries.

    "It's, uh, it's a government sponsored thing, I think... My, uh, my counselor makes me go every week. The idea is to, uh, to help make sure we all, uh, we all get control over our powers safely."

    A series of panels show each group member in turn standing and speaking. The words aren't shown, merely the actions. Most of the group don't appear to be paying attention to the people speaking, though Lanuola is consistently shown to be watching the others with careful attention. It comes to Kaley's turn to speak. Her expression is sardonic as she does. Whatever she's saying, it seems to have gotten Akihito's attention, a look of shock and anger evident on his face.

    "Not, uh, not everyone wants to be there but, uh..."

    The room has erupted into chaos. Akihito stands tall, belligerent as electricity sparks across his body. Kaley is laughing opposite him, mockingly beckoning him to bring it on whilst holding a flame in her other hand.

    "But I do think the, uh, the people who run it have our best interests at heart."

    A final flashback panel shows the organisers talking down the pair. Akihito being lead out of the room whilst Kaley is taken to a corner to be talked to.

    The panels transition back to the present. Lanuola looks up at the building before the trio. A flyer beside the door advertises the Kintsugi meeting within. Lanuola hesitates a moment, turning to look at Kai. "... D-do you mind if I, uh, I keep the jacket..? Just, uh, just for today..?"



    GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

    Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show


    Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ground Zero
    Conditions: none
    Potential: 3/5


    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    Freak: +1
    Danger: +2
    Savior: 0
    Superior: +1
    Mundane:-1


    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    In a China Shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
    Physics? What physics: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.


    Kai walks alongside Lanuola, listening to her explanation of the meeting. Idly scratching the back of his head, he thinks about learning control of your powers by talking to people, and honestly... it sounds ridiculous to him. No-one ever became a great runner by sitting around with a bunch of other people and talking about running. The way he saw it, powers were the same. If you wanted to control it, to know how far you could go, or precise you could be, you had to use it. That's how he had learnt.

    Though as he looked over at Lanuola as she continued her awkward explanation, he couldn't help but conclude that the do or die conditions he had practiced under would be a poor fit for her. And so he didn't voice any of his criticisms, but in his head he was running through a list of places, where someone like Lanuola could let loose her power without fear of consequence or collateral.

    "... D-do you mind if I, uh, I keep the jacket..? Just, uh, just for today..?" The words bring Kai out of his thoughts and he notices that they've arrived at the place Lanuola was talking about. He looks back to Lanuola to see her looking up at him with wide eyes and his jacket looking way too big on her, and all thoughts in his head are replaced with a single word.

    Cute!

    Quickly turning away so she couldn't see the blush consuming his face. "Yeah, uh, that's fine. Good luck with the meeting thing." Kai takes a few steps away before gently rising into a hover. He turns in the air to give the sisters a parting wave, before taking off flying and booking it towards the bay district.

    He flew low through the city, gliding over the top of cars, diving under bridges, and bursting through the spray of a fountain to give himself a quick wash. A carefree smile spread across his face as he let the feeling of freedom that flying like this gave him, wash away the tension from the battle at the River Market. As he came upon the pier where the photo shoot was happening, he couldn't help the sting of disappointment as his feet touched down and his flight ended.

    "Yo! I'm here," Kai said to announce his arrival as he strolled up to the assembled crew. "Where do you need me?"

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Razade, The GM
    Pool:
    1


    Sunburst, Moonshadow

    The walk to the Kintsugi headquarters is a bit of a leg, though the Teleportal network probably cuts down on this travel if you're induced to use it for such a mundane task. A former library and training yard for AEGIS, the building is somewhat run down partly thanks to the very explosive and dangerous people meeting within. A good metaphor for the organization as a whole. Before AEGIS secured enough leverage in San Fransapporo one of their satellite organizations held sway here. The Tonbogiri used their strength to rail against The Warlords and anyone else they felt threatened by and its very likely this library was one of their many storage facilities of the illicit Metahuman narcotic Black Oni. The drug, its makers, and Tonbogiri were ousted and in the vacuum AEGIS stepped in.

    That lasted only for a year however culminating in The Rogue, a member of the Five Warlords, stealing one of AEGIS's most powerful Helicarriers in broad daylight for all the city to see. AEGIS, in shame, picked up as much as they could and took off into the night to hunt down their weapon and what little dignity they could piece together. Kintsugi and many organizations were left to pick up the pieces even AEGIS had no need of. Scraps of scraps. Truly, they're just as desperate as you.

    The meeting is held on the first floor, all the usual faces in attendance. There's Miss Honeycut, the well meaning if overbearing group mediator and her two guards Aka and Ao. Both are known for their ability to nullify particular powers and are thus an invaluable team for such meetings. You've never seen Miss Honeycut use her powers though she is fit, trim and well put together in a smart AEGIS uniform though its AEGIS patches have been removed. There's no sign of Akihito or Kaley though and while all the other usual players are present...there's a lot of empty seats.

    Miss Honeycut is quick to nod you over when you enter, the curt smile she gives everyone even more plastered on than usual. "Lanuola, it's so nice of you to join us. We're about to begin, if you'd like to take your seat? We're having a small circle today, the attack on the waterfront has put some of the tram stations on alert." News travels fast it would seem, though with the police helicopters having been at the fight with Coyote before you it's probably not surprising. You can feel Miss Honecut's eyes upon you, appraising you, the smile growing into a thin line.

    "You look upset. Would you like to start today's session for us?"

    Well. Would you? Others, some more panicked and others much more bored, watch you as well. There's Slim Kamaitachi and Kuma, two of Akihito's sycophants. Today would be his day to appear. Do you have any friends in the group? People you might at least enjoy seeing? Or is this an archipelago of suffering, each of you an island of potential disasters waiting to happen?

    Ground Zero

    The shoot is well underway when you land, the flashes of cameras a practical lightning storm of lights that only abate when you speak. You're waved in without so much as a glance over and after an initial salvo of pictures you're passed to wardrobe, dressed and pruned and plucked and powdered as needed before rolling out into another quickfire series of poses, the typical shouting of some two bit producer punctuated by the percussion of of camera shutters.

    A break is eventually called, the shoot not warranting craft services but at least serving some form of refreshments. This breather gives you time to assess whose actually with you, other than the typical host of hopeful breakouts and whoever else they pay to help pad group shots. The particular company caters to Supers, after all, so non-Metahumans are often in demand. "Didja here, Red?" the familiar voice of Nessa Russo slips in behind you, her text box cover you almost fully on the page as she steps into view in a bikini top and sarong. "Seems we're going to have a heavy hitter coming to join us today. Does the name Tempest ring a bell?"

    Even if you'd not been away for two years in a literal tempest, you'd be forgiven for not knowing who the hell your co-worker is speaking of. There's at least seven Tempest's in San Fransapporo alone, heroes not being the most creative sorts. The most famous, in or out of the city, would be the Tempest of Glavnos. A small speck of rock off the coast of South Africa, Glavnos has the distinction of being the first U.N recognized meta-human nation. As in, the first for Meta-Human, by Meta-Human, Nation. Its leader, the so called "President Elect" sits in a jail cell in Halcyon City. His daughter, the President interim, tours the world in a good will ambassador's role for the...frankly despotic nation state.

    She's been on the news, least one think it strange she might consider a photoshoot in the historic River District of San Fransapporo, thanks to her sudden and publicized visit to the city. Some speculate that Glavnos is eager to reach out to the Imamu diaspora that makes its home in the city, others postulate more sinister aims. Glavnos is, after all, a pro-Metahuman country with villainous ties. Many argue it was only a matter of time for the Novakoff Family to reach out to the Warlords.

    Either way. What's your opinion on this? On Nessa? On the whole process of flesh for cash industry as it stands. Or the refreshments offered.


    Ronin, Tsunami

    You were dismissed so it's not particularly difficult for you to slip away. The whispered words aren't heard either, you're beneath the hero's notice as she surveys the damage as the far off sirens finally reach their destination. Cops, firetrucks, even a few fireboats fill the scene which gives you more than enough cover to slip away to the team's base not too far from where you stand. The unassuming building masks one of many of The Smith's hideouts.

    Much like its owner, the base beneath Tsunami's home and storefront is simple. Sturdy walls unadorned, thick paneled wood floors and more than enough space to house the entire team with food stores and supplies to spare. It too has one of the many Teleportals set in its main entranceway, an easy place to slip in and out of should the need arise. Tsunami would know that the Teleportal connects directly to The Smith's own workshop though knowing her...a visit would probably best be preceded by some formal communication. One can never be certain who or what the ancient artificer might be hosting.

    What else does the base have Tsunami? Computers, even if not of the super variety? Actual rooms for each member of the team to rest in should the need arise? Showers? You probably need one what with all the blood. A kitchen? Somewhere you all formally meet? Do you have a cool round table so no one is at the head of the group?


    Coyote, Master Sun: The Hall of Fallen Peonies


    The room is large and open, a garden you’ve seen before though now the panels show the true extent of it. Walls of dark wood line the entire enclosed garden space, the music has stopped and Master Sun stands near a large stone platform that was otherwise off screen. His hands folded behind his back, two razor thin blades are clutched tight.

    The sky above flashes and with a sudden burst of light, Coyote falls to the platform. She looks a little more beat up than last we saw her but certainly not vaporized where she stood. She has little time to collect herself as one of Master Sun’s blades are leveled at her neck.

    “What…” she croaks, futility trying to slide on her hands away from the blade that moves with her.

    “A new weapon of the Authority.” Master Sun answers calmly, a shot of his papers showing many more crossed out lines with those words written. “We call it Amaterasu. Did you enjoy your trip?”

    Coyote spits at the man’s shoes, scowling deeply. “You set us up.”

    “Yes...yes we did.” Sun’s voice almost seems regretful. “You didn’t find the artifact.” This is said purely as fact. “No matter...The Smith will have it soon enough. She’ll see reason. It’s as I predicted. You on the other hand are to be sent to the Chill. Lightbringer’s orders are absolute. We wouldn’t want you telling everyone that we hired you I suppose, no one would believe you. It’s why the Yojimbo aren’t going to get any traction with their suspicions. Best not to have any loose ends about all the same.”

    Coyote has ceased her attempts to get away, fingers dangling near the edge of the platform. “You don’t have the right! You said this was to save the city! To save Odette! You can’t just bury us, lock us away when we were trying to help! I survived the Storm King! I survived The Black Emperor! Every time someone tries to beat me down I come back stronger and I’ll do the same this time too.”

    As before, mirroring almost perfectly the last panel she was in, Coyote lunges forward. Sadly for Master Sun he’s nowhere near as prepared as one might think an omniscient immortal might be. He stumbles, the blade dragging just barely along Coyote’s face as she rises and takes hold of the ancient tactician. “I’ll be taking that power of yours.” she snarls though the sound turns into a gurgle as her eyes twitch in their sockets. She is soon on the platform once more as she sinks to her knees, gasping and sucking for air as her body trembles. Master Sun merely steps back, placing the blades aside. “You truly are a fool.” He sighs. Two men in heavy armor step into the garden, making their way to collect the villain as she remains catatonic.

    “She’ll regain her senses soon enough. You’ll want to bind her. She’s very tenacious. Tell the Wardens to bury her deep, she has the potential to cause the first prison break in the history of the Chill. Consign her to Darkness or she’ll be the doom of us. This I have seen.”

    The two men bow before leaving the garden, Master Sun slowly moving back to his seat and collecting his pages.

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The_Specialist's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    The Surface of the Sun

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Tsunami
    Conditions: None
    Potential: 3/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
    • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
    • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.


    Stepping out of the teleportal, the cool filtered air and bland interior welcomes Tsunami and Ronin ‘home’. Max, at the least, is grateful for the sense of safety it brings him, though that small relief isn’t really enough to fully settle his nerves.

    A shallow ramp leads down from the portal's frame to the floor. The corridor that houses the teleportal is lined on both sides by large lockers for all of the team with the idea of quick deployment in mind, though they can certainly be used to store whatever each member desires, even if that is nothing. It is a fairly short hallway all in all, that ends in two sets of thick metal doors, airlock style, which are currently both open.

    This leads to the rest of the base, the majority of which is rather utilitarian and fairly open plan, save for a bathroom and sleeping quarters on the far side of the base, which are separated behind actual doors. The main sleeping quarters are somewhat barracks styled, one room housing several bunk beds. A secondary, smaller bedroom with only a single bed makes for a third door on the back wall, for whenever a more private recovery is needed. Given that most of the team has family or their own personal places to sleep for the majority of the time, Max hasn’t bothered to convert the ‘dorm room’ into separate private bedrooms yet, though at the very least the bunks are quite comfortable and well made. While spartan in terms of design, nothing really lacks in quality within the base.

    Also further inside lies a small galley kitchen, with a few couches*, armchairs, and a coffee table tucked nearby as a surprisingly cozy if slightly cramped ‘common area’. The forward section of the base comprises the more tactical requirements. A few computer stations, with one significantly more decked out with monitors and tech being Ronin’s space. Tucked off in it's own space, slightly lowered on a split level, is a literal forge and Max's workshop, as he isn't just The Smith's protege when it comes to hero work, but also her apprentice in the Craft. Granted, most of his work is more traditional thus far and less of the magitech variety thus far. He's also quiet protective of this area, and it's quite clear this one area is his space and not a shared one, without permission.

    The ‘command center’ is pretty central within the base and close to Ronin's station, though mainly consists of a large round table with a screen embedded in the center for briefings. Just beyond it and on the closest wall is a sizeable projector screen and several folding chairs set up auditorium style in front of it, as an alternative method of delivering information, although the screen has also been commandeered to play movies during downtime. It’s hardly any real effort for most of the team to drag the couches over in those events.

    Overall, the base is still quite stark and simple, made to be secure and practical rather than homey necessarily, unless anyone in the team has taken it upon themselves to change that. Max would likely veto anything that might cause any kind of safety hazard or interfere with business, but would allow decoration within reason.

    “Just... give me a few minutes...”

    Max heads for none of these areas. One last station, closest to the airlock entry, is the decontamination shower. Max has never had to use it. Not that he hasn’t got scuffed or dirty or a little bloody before in their line of work, but never quite like this. Never something he couldn’t just wash off in his own shower upstairs, or hose off outside; he doesn't dare take any shortcuts this time. Using the corner of his jacket he pries his phone out of an opposite inner pocket, dropping it on a random surface before stepping into the decon unit. He hasn't even had a chance to see Hikari or Ronin's texts yet.

    A panel shows Tsunami standing numbly under the flow of the multitude of jets, and then focusing on the drain as red swirls through the water. Working off his gloves first, he wrings his hands and scrubs off as much as he can before slowly peeling off the rest of his armour. Mask, shoulder guard, and jacket are tossed somewhat unceremoniously to the side of the shower once clean. The shirt is slightly harder to peel off, now thoroughly soaked, but he manages. Left with the under vest, a sense of queasy dread begins to seep into his stomach again as he hesitates where the artifact is stashed; a panel lingers with his top half in frame, hair free from it's previous updo and now drenched and sticking to his face. His hand hovers over his heart. Finally he pries the disc free, cautiously letting the water rinse it from its previous owner's life blood as well.

    The next panel simply shows a still fairly soggy looking Max, now clad in a set of extremely generic but thankfully dry sweatshirt and pants as he walks towards the command center. Then, a close-up on the table top as his hand places the disk down flat and releases it. Max steps back, inviting Miho, presuming she's still near, to take a gander.

    “Does this mean anything to you…?"


    *Those couches might be where the base lacks in quality actually, Max definitely probably got those at a yard sale.
    Last edited by The_Specialist; 2019-07-10 at 01:56 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Sunburst
    Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless, Angry
    Potential: 2/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

    0

    Shielding

    You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

    Moat

    Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

    Reality Storm

    You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

    Snatch

    Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.


    Lanuola enters the meeting room with an anxious expression on her face. She already knew that this meeting was going to be one of the rougher ones for her. And to her mind, rightly so. She had, after all, partially demolished a building on her own. That wasn't the kind of thing that could be slid under the mat. Pre-occupied as she was, it's only once she's ushered to her seat that she notices the group is far more depleted than usual. Miss Honeycut's explanation, along with the increased share of attention she was now receiving due to the smaller group, left her feeling uncomfortably aware of her own role in the morning's events. Doing her best to remember her breathing exercises, she nevertheless begins to glow softly. Thankfully, most of the people present had their own nervous tics, so she could at least rest easy knowing she wouldn't be called on it.

    Apparently, though, she was going to be called on to speak first. There's a series of panels focusing on Lanuola. There's only minor differences between them, the movements small. In the first, her gaze is down cast, mouth closed as she seems to be considering what to say. In the second, her mouth opens, but nothing is said. In the third, she closes her eyes and mouth, pulling her borrowed jacket a little closer around her shoulders. Then, finally, she opens her eyes again and speaks.

    "So... My name is Lanuola Auva'a. I... I have power over light." Lanuola couldn't actually remember the last time she'd seen a new person at the meeting, she was pretty sure she was the most recent regular addition to the group, but the structure provided by the greeting always helped her ease into speaking in front of a group, "I... I was... Involved in the fight a-at the waterfront." She pulls the jacket even closer around herself, finally looking up at the rest of the people around her as she did so. Even though it wasn't the biggest group at the best of times, it was odd seeing such a small circle.

    "I... Was able to safely use my powers to, uh, to separate a boat full of hostages from, uh, from the people behind the attack." Her steadily moving gaze lights on a woman who looks to be in her late twenties, and Lanuola's lips twitch into a faint smile for a moment. A textbox sits unobtrusively in the corner, identifying the woman as Roseanne Pierce, AKA Theurge. Telekinetic Prodigy, Amiable Acquaintance.

    "But, uh, but when the, uh, the situation escalated... I, uh, I-I lost focus with my powers a-and, uh..." Lanuola feels a twisting in her chest. Aware that chastisement likely waited for her, she forges ahead, "I-I, uh... I-I partially, uh, partially destroyed a, uh, a building as a result of my lack of, uh, lack of focus..."

    I'm just lucky I didn't kill anyone...



    GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

    Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show


    Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Razade, The GM
    Pool:
    1

    A look of surprise radiates out from you when you explain how you destroyed the building, most at least offering looks of sympathy though a few seem almost too eager to hear more. You know the culprits. Miss Honeycut's soft voice cuts through a flurry of excited near questions from Slim Kamaitachi, the stern woman always seeming to manage being the most commanding presence in a room even with her slight and mild manner. "Sometimes we lose control." she speaks, an eye looking to the rest. "It's what we do after we get it back that's important. I'll make a note of this, Lanuola, and I'll touch base with Dr. Fletcher in the morning so she can coordinate with you. Perhaps it would be best however if you didn't do any more of these heroics for a few days? Until you're not so upset."

    Kintsugi is often eager to discourage wanton uses of power, not just in their support groups but abroad so it should come as no surprise that Miss Honeycut has taken this line. "Let's use our time to discuss how you lost focus and how it led to your...flare up? I think it would be good for the rest of the group to hear, in case they might find themselves in a similar situation? You're not on trial here, you're free to disclose whatever you'd like and if you'd rather not talk about it we can move on to someone else."

    "I'd actually like to hear it." Theurge steps in, not literally of course. She's in with the rest of the group herself. "Perhaps its the old war horse in me, but a good bit of hero'ing always brightens my day." She's of course playing Good Cop but it's a role she plays naturally. "I might echo however taking a day or two to recover. The news coverage of the fight was most concerning. I hope you weren't hurt in the scuffle."

    Spoiler: Sunburst
    Show
    So, even if its well intentioned the both of them are using their Influence on you. Miss Honeycut more so, she's saying that you're volatile, that your emotions are the reason behind the flareup. If you agree, shift Freak up and Savior down. If not, roll to Reject Miss Honeycut's Influence

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions: Insecure
    Potential: 0/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.


    While Max makes his way off to the decontamination showers, clearly taking great pains not to touch anything he had to – not that she could blame him, given his current state – Miho figures she'd better make herself more comfortable, in a manner of speaking.

    We get a tall panel now, the height of the page but only perhaps a third across, which gives us a great shot of the Ronin armour standing tall and proud.

    Chisei; shut it down,” she requests. A series of smaller panels fill the rest of the page, showing close-ups of various parts of the armour unfolding and transforming to its alternate configuration. The last, fairly small panel on the page shows Miho sitting in her chair as it settles back to a full sitting position – and the contrast between first and last panels on the page is notable, and not even particularly subtle.

    She can hear the water running full-blast in decom, and shakes her head in mild sympathy for the boy. Rolling her chair over to her workstation, she powers on the computer she's installed there and while it boots up she rolls her way carefully through the cramped spaces to the small galley to retrieve a couple of the cans of Coke that she ensures are always stashed there.

    By the time Max emerges, damp and so very mundane-appearing from his cleansing, she's got a drinks open and waiting at the command table, a chair sitting ready for him and her nearby in hers. From the way he was reacting, he'll probably need a sympathetic ear; maybe this is a chance to get to know him a little better, find out what's inside his head?

    She opens her mouth to speak, but he beats her to it by placing something unusual on the tabletop, and all thoughts of human interaction are thrown to the wayside as a new puzzle is presented to her.

    ”Does this mean anything to me? No,” she admits, staring at the disk. ”But it will. Ve haff vays of makink you talk, Herr Device,” the young woman adds in a bad German accent.

    Montage page!

    A jumble of panels; Miho closely examining the disc-like object with the naked eye; running a scanning tool over it; scratching gingerly at it with a metal probe; in conversation with Max; the disk in a vise, a blowtorch being held to it; a screen full of text as she argues with Chisei; Max holding his kanabō protectively out of the way while Miho urges him towards the disc.

    Back, finally, to the command table, with fresh Cokes and a little more information.

    "This thing is an enigma," Miho says in frustration. "None of my tests reveal what this thing is made of; maybe I could get something if I had a spectrometer in here, but I have my doubts. As far as I can tell, this isn't any sort of terrestrial metal at all! And while you can sense the unknown energy field coming off it with nothing more than bare skin, the field itself defies explanation. There's only one thing that makes any sense," she says decisively.

    "It's alien technology." How cool is that?

    IF THAT IS INDEED THE CASE, WOULD THIS 'WAVE' BE REFERRING TO SOME SORT OF INVASION WAVE FROM AN ALIEN SPECIES? Chisei asks, putting the words up on the table's centre screen. THE ODDS OF THIS SEEM FAIRLY LOW, GIVEN THE REST OF THE PARAMETERS OF THE DAY'S EVENTS. Despite being just a block text printout, it almost seems that Chisei is apologizing for his opinion.


    Spoiler: CRUNCH
    Show
    Analyse Disc: Roll Superior! 7

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Sunburst
    Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless, Angry
    Potential: 2/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

    0

    Shielding

    You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

    Moat

    Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

    Reality Storm

    You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

    Snatch

    Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.


    Even as Miss Honeycut stands taller to command silence, Lanuola shrinks a bit smaller into her chair. Her knees press together, her hands wringing in her lap, and her head bowed. She nods meekly as she's told that Dr. Fletcher would be informed. That was sure to be yet another fun conversation. She looks up again as she's asked about how she lost focus, turning her attention over to Theurge with a faint smile as she adds in about wanting to hear about it.

    She shakes her head, "I, uh, I didn't get hurt. Umm, my, uh, my team helped keep me safe."

    Her smile fades again as she takes a breath. When she starts speaking again, the panels show her as a cutout, the background displaying the days events behind her in a sepia-tint. "It, uh, it started fairly well..? Umm, I got to the fight without being spotted. And, like I said, I managed to keep the boat safe from the people trying to, uh, to take the people on it hostage." The panels behind her show the towering wall of light from Lanuola's perspective, the boat being lifted clear by a barely visible Ground Zero, "I heard Lion being threatened so I, uh, I ran to help him. He was backed into a corner when, uh, when I got there." Now the panels show her trying to get Lion to stand up, "And he did get back in the fight. A-and he leapt at, uh, at Coyote Knight. A-and I knew I could help! I... I-I just got swept up in the moment. A-and I punched with, uh, with everything I had..." A final panel, showing the devastating blast hitting both Coyote Knight and the building.

    Lanuola's quiet a moment, deliberately trying not to notice how she seemed to be getting a lot of attention from Slim right now. "... A-as... A-as soon as I saw the damage, I knew I'd messed up... Really bad... But..." She looks up with a rueful smile, "... Right in, uh, right i-in that moment it... I-it kinda felt good to go all out... A-and that kinda scares me a bit too."



    GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

    Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show


    Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Pool: 1


    Sunburst, The Meeting: Kintsugi HQ


    Miss Honeycut does not look at all happy at your admittance that using your powers to demolish an entire building felt "good", probably because of the more rogue element within the typical meeting structure. Slim seems especially excited by that admission as he glances to his compatriot though a stern look from Miss Honeycut silences any further revelry. The aforementioned doesn't get to chastise you either, Theurge clipping in with usual grace when it comes to defending your more...destructive mistakes.

    "It's good that you can be open with these feelings, Lanuola. It does feel good to be in control and that feeling can be dangerous, especially for people like us. You were using it to do the right thing and no one got hurt." A few people did get hurt though. Coyote was, as far as you're aware, blasted from the face of Creation without so much as a wink from Lightbringer. One must wonder what she felt in that moment, even if wondering would only lead down dark roads. The young lady that Tsunami mentioned too got hurt, also in a fairly final way and you never even learned her name. Bruja and many of the Knights got hurt in the scuffle and at least the former in that number was because well...you dropped a building on top of her. Maybe best not to mention all of those people. Especially since Theurge keeps talking.

    "You also recognized that you'd made a mistake. The damage you've done can't be taken back, only repaired. That's why we took the name Kintsugi though, the art of repairing something with earnest and committed effort makes the thing all the more beautiful." A common line for the organization. They were, in their own way, a broken thing desperatly seeking to repair the rifts between themselves to better face the world they found themselves in. Theurge especially. She'd been with Tonbogiri as a Librarian and then with AEGIS when the Spear was stolen. The loss is hard to see on her, she's so young, but its there. Her hazel eyes always looking somewhere else, as if she'd just caught something outside the field of vision...and wanted to see it just that bit longer.

    "If we could organize it, Lanoula, would you like to spend the weekend helping clean the site up? I'm sure the Build Team would appreciate your assistance in any way you'd like to give it." The Build Team of course was one of the many unaffiliated, minor, powers of San Fansapporo. They mostly stuck to repairing the damage of meta-human fights.


    Ronin, Tsunami: The Base


    The air hangs on those words. Alien threat. The device, wherever you'd left it, however doesn't seem to respect such gravitas. It's certainly not anything you did during your montage that powered the thing up but with what can only be described as horror film ambiant track sound, the device begins to whir and much like your own AI words etch into the air in a flaming scrawl.

    Like a frenzied horse that is driven. An unseen wind of plague shrieks across the border.
    There is no place to run.
    No hope of escape.
    Those who are lost will never return.
    Time and Gods are at strife; ye dwell in the midst thereof,
    The hands of time cannot be turned back.
    Though the whirlwind of the South should tug with its claws.
    A page that hath been turned yet shall not be able to ever turn back.

    The device then shuts off but the words seem almost burned into the air itself as the smell of ozone and char fill the room.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The_Specialist's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    The Surface of the Sun

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Tsunami
    Conditions: None
    Potential: 3/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
    • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
    • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.


    Max remains near at hand, patiently, throughout Miho’s diligent efforts to make sense of the thing, though any hyper vigilance on his part seems to be because of and directed at the artifact, not who is examining it. In truth, despite Miho’s heritage and perhaps fair scrutiny that others might regard her with, Max is grateful to have someone like her on the team. Because this is definitely outside his wheelhouse, and if they can solve it as a team he much prefers that to running to his mentor every time there is a problem he doesn’t understand. That said, he does at some point take a moment to send a text only to Hikari specifically to catch her up briefly, once he feels collected enough to do so.

    This is deep. Lightbringer came on scene at the end. I think she killed Coyote.
    Team all left scene safe at least. Ronin is looking at the artifact now.
    Might ask The Smith for help.

    Taking a seat with one of the fresh Cokes, Max peers at Miho a touch inquisitively. He’s fairly calm still, the efforts to crack this case being a useful distraction from everything else going on in the back of his mind and forcing him to stay alert and in the moment for the most part. He can empathize with her frustration when she declares it an enigma, though he’s still glad for her rigorous examination all the same.

    “You can’t even tell what it’s made of...?” Max echoes, the astonishment in his tone sounding simply due to curiosity rather than derisive. “Could we... get a spectrometer?” He starts to question, ready to help as much as he's able, before going quiet as Miho continues to explain her theory. Hazel eyes widen at her decisive conclusion, and dart back to the artifact with both wonder and caution evident within.

    Chisei’s addition to the conversation causes the ‘caution’ side to increase in Max’s expression, and he feels his blood chilling once more as he thinks back to the fear in the girl’s eyes. That ‘The Wave’ could be referring to an invasion wave certainly sounds plausible enough, even if nothing else he witnessed today really implied alien interference. It’s a fairly daunting idea, regardless.

    “...Alien technology is... way above my paygrade... But I do know someone who might be more--” Max starts to mutter, though before he can finish the mysterious device makes a sound. Icy panic briefly takes hold of him as the artifact actually comes to life but only now, adrenaline floods his system, and Max instinctively trades the Coke for his kanabō again. On his feet in a heartbeat, he instinctively thrusts himself in front of Miho in a protective stance, putting himself between her chair and the device. If she’ll allow, he even tries to back up a few feet together with her, away from the artifact as floating flame begins to form letters and words in the air. He is only able to stare in pure and frantic bewilderment as the dire message forms, remaining frozen and bristling for a moment even after the artifact seems to shut itself off again. His breathing is quick and suddenly seems uncomfortably loud to him in the renewed silence, so he's swift to stand up straight and controlled once more, though not setting aside the kanabō just yet.


    “...I’m calling The Smith. We need to take this to her.” Max states decisively.
    Last edited by The_Specialist; 2019-07-13 at 08:17 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ground Zero
    Conditions: none
    Potential: 3/5


    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    Freak: +1
    Danger: +2
    Savior: 0
    Superior: +1
    Mundane:-1


    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    In a China Shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
    Physics? What physics: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.
    -Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.


    Still new to the blur of action that these shoots are, Kai breathes a sigh of relief when the break is called. The only refreshments on offer are water or home-brand soda, but after getting caught in an explosion, then spending over an hour standing around in the sun, the drinks are a welcome relief. And so he’s still by the drinks table when Nessa calls out to him.

    Her face was a familiar one and he turns to great her with a smile. “I thought I was the resident heavy hitter,” Kai joked. “Tempest huh? That does ring a bell. Or seven. Wait! No, make that eight. I just remembered that chick from Glavnos was in town.”

    Unlike Kai, Nessa had been doing work as a model for a couple years and had helped Kai find his feet when he first started out. Her ability to befriend animals and call them to her has earned her a lot of popularity, so it’s no real surprise that she’s here if their hosting someone high profile.

    A side effect of being an experienced model that Nessa is, is that she knows how to rock that bikini top she’s wearing. Knowing that trying to look at her and maintain eye contact was a doomed task, Kai tries to pass off the action of him tearing his eyes away from her as him casually surveying the shoot.

    As he looks around at the other models and crew members hanging around, he notices more than a few are looking in the direction of him and Nessa. Some, mostly guys, are openly checking her out, and a few others are glaring at him, as though he had offended them by being talked to by Nessa. He flips off the latter.

    “While we’re talking about Tempests, what do you think about the ‘Tempest of Glavnos’?” Kai asked as he looked back at Nessa. “You believe any of that **** about them being here for the Imamu or the Warlords?”

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Sunburst
    Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless, Angry
    Potential: 2/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

    0

    Shielding

    You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

    Moat

    Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

    Reality Storm

    You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

    Snatch

    Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.


    Lanuola's wince at the mention of nobody being hurt is, perhaps, only really noticeable to those who know her well. There's a slight shift in her expression, a small pulling forward of her shoulders, a slight increase in the light level she puts out. She's able to put the feeling out of her mind as Theurge continues on, though, and her words are able to pull her back to a more stable mental footing.

    And then there's the mention of helping repair the damage she caused. Lanuola hesitates before she answers. The honest answer was that she'd really rather not. Even leaving aside the mental strain of having to face up to her actions and work alongside people who would probably be annoyed that she'd created such a mess to begin with, she didn't particularly want to dedicate a weekend to community service. There were far more fun things she could imagine doing. But then...

    Lanuola nodded, "Umm, yeah... That sounds good..."

    The whole reason she was here was for this kind of thing. If she didn't make the effort, would she actually progress..?



    GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

    Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show


    Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Pool: 1

    Nessa, for what its worth, doesn't seem to mind or particularly register the ogling considering there's always a fair bit in these shoots. Your question is far more interesting anyway, prompting a slow shurg of her tanned shoulders. "It's awfully exciting if she's here for neither, both or just one of them. It'd make sense that she'd try for the Warlords though. Glavnos isn't particular well liked." This is, of course true. On paper Glavnos is a modern democracy, a member of the UN and a refuge for metahumans who might be facing discrimination or worse in other countries around the world. In practice however Glavnos has few friends, a stockpile of nuclear weapons they're not at all shy about bringing up and an effectively feudal system for the non-metahuman (and even some metahuman) population with the only real assurance to political saftey spending large "taxes" to the Elected for Life Novakoff family.

    "I can't imagine the Imamu would take the general offer to move to their country...but crazier things have happened. I can't really imagine that the Guardians would let her walk around if they even suspected she was looking to aid the Warlords. What do you think? You've got that hunky Prince of the Imamu in your group don't you? Has he mentioned anything? You might just have the inside scoop! You could sell that, I bet."

    Any further discussion is tabled however as a commotion begins further up the piers. A small entourage of black suited people hurridly move people aside as the Tempest you'd only moments ago discussed appears with the usual splash page. Tall, elegant and in similar wear to Nessa, Tempest is wreathed in lighting in the symbol of the Glavnos flag. A clenched fist crushing a hammer and a sickle, a reminder that Maelstrom seized the island from his U.S.S.R handlers and perhaps now an out dated symbol of defiance. The troop keep most everyone at a fair distance as the shoot runners scramble to get any other pictures they can as she makes her way towards you both. Nessa is quick to lean in and place a nudge into your ribs. "Now's your chance, go ask her yourself Red."

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    No thanks
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    The Lion
    Conditions: 2, Hopeless (-2 on unleash), Insecure (-2 to reject)
    Potential: 2/5
    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: +2
    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X]Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.
    • [X]Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.

    We slam over to a RECAP -- drawn by the artist in a semi-horrific cross between chibi-style and kindergartener-chique.

    The Lion pounces on the Coyote as she stands on an apple cart... Then he expertly faints out of the way! Behind him pops out Sunburst! With a little "hi-ya!" she lazily punches out a comically massive blast, sending Coyote Knight into the sky -- leaving only a sparkle. Cut back to Mosi and Lanuola, who high five -- CONFETTI and FRIED APPLES rain down from the sky behind them. We pan below that, to see a panel with the rest of the Yojimbo holding up the two, cheering for them. Smiles on everybody's faces.

    "So... that's basically how things went down. You... you look like you don't believe me."

    The Lion sighs and smiles, laid back onto the edge of a boat while maintaining perfect balance, his foot hanging off the side. simultaneously talking to the teenage girl from earlier. Her phone rings. High-pitched and set to a funky beat -- a remix of him screaming out "I don't get to punch out until I punch you out!" earlier in the battle, now set to a funky beat. Mosi perks up, spinning and sitting upright -- both legs over the edge. He looks at the phone incredulously, then at her. "I--"

    "Do you mind? I have to take this." The teen girl puts down a shush finger and returns to texting. Mosi groans and drops his masked face into his hands in semi-ironic frustration. He's never going to hear the end of this from his sister.

    Mosi jaunts over to the center of the boat and pulls his spear -- a small red, beeping dongle* tied around the end of its haft -- from the deck with a YANK. In the background, the Pepper River sits far less crowded with boats, as people make way for the relief effort. Meanwhile, we see the teen girl's parents have been united... in anger towards Mosi. He laughs and scratches the back his helm's mane with his free hand as they give him the business over the damage he has done to their watercraft.**

    Well, at least something good came of this.

    We turn the page and jump to Mosi on the same rooftop where he started his hunt. He's falling backwards as he slides on a pair of black tailored suit pants over his tights -- the only part of his costume still on. Mosi finishes pulling his windsor knot into place and winces for a second. He reaches into his pants and pulls out an athletic cup. Next panel, a close up on the cup and its etched inscription San Fran's Number #1 Hero Protector as Mosi slides it into the drawstring bag that holds his costume.

    Jump to Mosi as he sits forlornly on the sign; his suit jacket unbuttoned, his tie flapping in the wind. His eyes obscured by his glasses; another relic of the past he wears as a mask.

    For the next couple panels we zoom into the REFLECTION on Mosi's lens as they are colored more and more in golden sepia. Mosi's eyes trail the devastation of the market and the relief effort Coyote's words and then his own circling the drain of his mind. Look at what I made everybody do... He almost looks away but stops himself. Looking away had only ever hurt him before. He just hoped Sunburst wasn't taking the heat for his mistake. He was the one who jumped headfirst into fire -- she was only there to catch him because no one else could. Or maybe would. Mosi shook the thought from his head, he needed to believe in the team. The same way he believed in Hikari. Even if she wasn't here with them -- he knew it had to be for a good reason. That was who Hikari was. And Mosi really needed to apologize to Sunburst for throwing her into the air without asking.

    He groans and laughs. Then stops. His thoughts drift to the blood on Tsunami's hands. I shouldn't be laughing, a woman died today. No. Two women. Mosi's brow furrows. His jaw clenches, but he says nothing.

    The reflection in his glasses shifts and merge with an image of the Lion's POV from inside his mask. In full golden SEPIA-TONE, indicating we are in the recent past with Mosi, as we watch Lightbringer command the young heroes, her hand still hovering over the scorch mark of where Coyote was. Mosi looks left and right to see the other Yojimbo opposite her -- their expressions are shock, anger, horror. Ronin holds back Tsunami, Sunburst has her hand wrapped around GZ's, Moonshadow gasps audibly. And Mosi says nothing.

    He looks left and right again, but suddenly his teammates are all gone and Mosi is alone. With her.

    The Lion steps forward to meet Lightbringer face-to-face. The silence between them is deafening, Mosi defying her order to "Begone." Funny, he should seem taller, but even at 6'4" Lighbringer's presence dwarfs the younger hero. Mosi wants more than anything to leave. But home is gone. So he shakes the fear away, because someone needs to say something.

    "I know you said that we can't pay for this. I know I can't... and I know you know my mom... and knew my dad, so you know I can't. But I-- someone need to take responsibility for what happened here." He gestures at the blank space where Coyote was. "Ever since I came to this city, I have wanted to repel the darkness more than anything; in my brother, in this city and in myself. But time after time I put my trust in San Fran. In its heroes. In you. Because, maybe -- maybe I had hoped you would be like me. Misunderstood. Painted into a corner by an image of you so heightened that you could not possible hope to live up to it. I didn't want to believe what everybody else said about you, about the kinds of things you had done because when my parents told me stories about the old days -- it all seemed so simple and clear. And I trusted them in that." He shakes his head.

    "But there's nothing simple or clear about this city. Or about you. So if I can't trust you, then who can I?"

    *No doubt made for Mosi after the 40th consecutive time he lost his spear.

    **The language they use is probably best left to our collective imagination -- but suffice to say, Mosi learned some new American expressions.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Using my pb move Words of the Past to tell Lightbringer about Mosi's problem knowing who to trust or believe in San Fran. The question he is asking her about it specifically is Lightbringer's opinion on who she thinks he can trust.

    And also telling her that he doesn't trust her. Because only Mosi would ask someone he doesn't trust who to trust. And bc he's honest like that.
    Last edited by Hans Free; 2019-07-14 at 01:29 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ronin
    Conditions: Insecure
    Potential: 0/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.


    Miho's eyes immediately snap over to the device as it begins to emit its nerve-wracking noise, but before she can even open her mouth to say anything Max is on his feet, almost comically oversized weapon in hand...and posterior in her anterior! He backs up protectively, and she reflexively jams her chair in reverse to roll out of his way before he ends up sitting on her.

    ”Out of the way, out of the way! she cries, slapping at his hip with one hand while maneuvering the chair's controls with the other. She manages to get sufficiently out from behind him to observe the lettering as it appears in the air, and she taps the control on her glasses to record the event.

    She relaxes slightly as the message comes to an end and nothing further seems to be about to happen. Not that she looked particularly worried at any point during the event; more...excited.

    ”Some sort of holographic projection complete with olfactory component? Kind of extra but okay,” she observes, clearly more interested for the moment in the medium rather than the message. ”Or maybe some sort of high-energized plasma in the air molecules? But how to keep it all together?” she wonders, her eyes gaining a faintly far-off look as she's about to fall down that rabbit hole.

    Max's words yank here away from the edge, however, and she spins her chair to face him.

    ”The Smith? Uh, yeah, I guess that's not a bad idea,” she agrees. Miho would love to deny needing any assistance – surely working together they could figure this out on their own! – but despite her conclusive defeat of the Biolator earlier, the uncertainty that his words had struck in her have yet to be fully shaken off. Plus, a chance to interact with the Smith isn't something to be scorned.

    ”But, before you do,” she adds, reaching out to put a gently restraining hand on Max's wrist again. ”Lightbringer. Chisei, that clip?” she requests, and the AI obligingly plays a fragment of recorded video on the briefing screen.

    As she speaks the panels focus more fully on Coyote and Bruja, both practically trembling by the end. With a jolt, Coyote breaks free from whoever's holding her to rush at Lightbringer. A katana gleams in her hand, pulled from who knows where, rage and tears in her eyes. "We tru-!"

    And then she's gone, a beam from the sky erupting about Coyote in a dazzling display leaving only a scorched mark on the ground where she was moments ago.
    Turning back to Max as the video freezes on the blasted remains of Coyote, Miho's face is grim.

    "Now, am I crazy, or did that look like Lightbringer burned her down just as she was trying to say 'We trusted you?'" she asks softly.

    And hopes, desperately, that she's wrong.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The_Specialist's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    The Surface of the Sun

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Tsunami
    Conditions: None
    Potential: 3/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +0
    • Savior: +1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: +0

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
    • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
    • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.


    Max moves only hesitantly when Miho first slaps at his hip, though reluctantly relents and refrains from shifting back in front of her when she moves herself to get a view of the ominous message. He still stands close beside her in a protective manner, even though he starts to feel a bit silly, suspecting that he can’t just smash the thing even if it does attack somehow.

    Still watching the space where the message hung in the air, his free hand starts to reach for his pocket before Miho catches his wrist. The gentle touch does give him pause, and Max turns attentively towards her albeit with a questioning look, before his eyes snap towards the screen as Chisei is addressed, the simple mention of Lightbringer already putting him on edge.

    His expression becomes quite stony as the clip replays the moment Coyote rushes Lightbringer and is summarily obliterated, jaw tightening. Max doesn’t immediately turn back towards Miho until she speaks, where upon her grim expression is met with one similarly severe, and troubled beneath the surface. He remains quiet for a thoughtful moment, holding her gaze, though his drops away after another pause, flicking back towards the screen again before ultimately returning to her as he decides to speak. He wishes too, that Miho could be wrong. Because otherwise, a whole new layer of complexity has been added to the mess, and an extra element of danger as they must be forced to wonder who they can trust. But he doesn't think that she is wrong.

    “...No, not crazy. It does sound like she might have been saying that.” Max agrees stoically without any uncertainty. In truth, it had struck his ear odd at the time, just as the whole last ditch attack on Coyote’s part had seemed oddly irrational. Personal. He had wondered what she was trying to say in the moment, but then Lightbringer’s response had been... very quick, and very distracting.

    “...When you put it that way... It does make the timing and... severity of Lightbringer’s reaction seem pretty... purposeful. If Coyote was about to reveal that they were coordinating... maybe she forced Lightbringer's hand,” Max utters the last words with a hint of righteous disdain, the idealist obviously not one to buy such an excuse when it comes to killing someone, especially. The idea that Lightbringer’s knee jerk reaction is to vaporize someone also doesn’t sit easily with him, especially knowing that the team is going to have to expect envoys on her behalf soon to explain the events.

    “It’s all pretty f*cking suspicious. I’m glad you recorded that. We should take it to show The Smith as well. I really want to hear what her take is.”

    The Smith is one of the few adult heroes that Max has any faith or trust in, the latter being a particularly rare commodity for him to give out. As much as he wants her aid with the alien artifact, he needs to hear what she has to say about Lightbringer’s actions as well. For the most part, Max doesn’t need anyone’s opinions or suggestions to make is own, or to take action, and can be quite stubbornly independent in many cases. But right now, he needs to hear his mentor say that it is unacceptable, what just happened. He needs to reaffirm his trust is placed in someone whose morals align with his own. And he needs her guidance on how to deal with a hero he can’t abide by.

    Another thought enters his head however as he pulls out his phone with his free hand and the screen opens to the last message he’d sent. Hikari.

    Max turns towards Miho again. “...I think we need to get Hikari up to speed on all of this too, given what just happened with the artifact and... this clip... before we get even further ahead. I’d like to get this thing to The Smith today though, and I want you to come, whether or not anyone else can make it. I’ll wait a bit for Hikari, but I hope you don’t have anywhere else to be,” He adds with just a hint of apology in his tone as he’s potentially asking Miho to devote the rest of her day to this endeavor, and she’s already given quite a deal of it already. He suspects she’s intrigued enough with the artifact that an apology is hardly warranted, and Max personally feels it’s urgent enough a matter anyway that anyone duty bound should be eager to assist. But he’s not one to make demands of his team mates without feeling slightly guilty still.

    “I’ll see if Hikari can get here soon, and I’ll warn The Smith she needs to expect company.” He explains as he starts firing off a text to the former first.

    Ronin thinks artifact might be alien tech. Going to take it to The Smith but would like you to come too.
    Can you get back to the base? Ronin and I want to debrief you.
    Last edited by The_Specialist; 2019-07-15 at 12:01 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Pool: 1


    The Lion, Lightbringer: Battleside

    Bruja is already carted off by the police presence that has somehow materialized from thin air or at least it seems like thin air, where were they when you were getting thrown around by Coyote and her crew anyway? Your voice seems, even for a moment, to cause Lightbringer's shoulders to lift. Agitation? Surprise? Frustration? Who knows. She turns from one of the many officers she's directing to take control of the plaza to place her gaze upon you.

    Yellow eyes that shine like twin suns stare you down. The same inscrutable gaze as before, unmoving like it was carved from the roots of the world itself. "The Lion." Her voice, as her face, is unreadable. Almost deadpan. "The stories we tell our children often are simple. Clean. We shield our youth from the shadows, from the darkness. We keep them safe from the monsters that lurk within with stories of monsters that seem dangerous on sight alone. A disservice. We should teach our children that the dangers are not visible, often, and how to defend themselves from the dangers they cannot see. That there is safety in the Light, for it reveals that which would otherwise be hidden. But know this, child. For ever bright you shine, you cast shadows ever deeper. The city would question me, such folly. You saw today how deep the tendrils of darkness have reached. The city will only be safe when the Light is so bright there will be no shadows left to cast. The time for concession has ended, the time to sit and watch the Warlords grow fat on the blood of our children has become untenable. But who are you to question me?"

    Her tone seemed almost to soften...right up until the end there. A razor's edge at your throat now. "A boy prince, who with one hand attempts to open a door but with the other slams it closed. If you cannot trust me, child, there is nothing I can say to you. Make no mistake however. I neither request nor require your trust. You will, in your own time, have to decide on which side you stand. You are a smart child or so I am led to believe. You will make the proper decision when it's required of you, no doubt." She then turns back to the officer. "Please escort the young Prince wherever it may be he requires. So long as it is not here. I have no further use for him."

    Lightbringer than turns her back to you as the officer moves forward to motion you away. Pressing the matter...may matter. It's unlikely she's roast you alive in front of a significant police and other emergency worker presence bu she is one of the most important heroes in the city. Do you want to add her to the list of enemies that seems to be growing for your team? Maybe it's best to go, where might you be needed...or wanted...that isn't at a very active crime scene with a very angry Lightbringer and a still smoldering spot where Coyote once stood?

    After Dark - Insert One


    The panels for After Dark, sold at the back of Yami no Yojimbo, allow for readers to return to the flagship of the series and place them in at their own leisure. No one would know this of course unless they flipped to the very last page and found the enclosed envelope. Of course, not everyone got the same pieces and no one was given the number of pages they went to. While initial comment was negative, time would reveal the reason. Offering the story in a linear method would drive sales but only for as long as the story itself was being told. Spliting the pieces up and even not including the same in every issue would drive sales even after the last of the gimmick had ended. Weeks and months would also be spent decoding the story, putting it in order and then spreading it around the internet. This would in turn drive sales, or so the thought went, through sheer word of mouth.

    We’re not going to bother with the non-linear method however and just your luck, someone skipped right to the end. So begins the story of San Fransapporo: After Dark where we left off from before.

    Impact hangs from her prison, eyes closing before she finally speaks once more.

    “My parents were refugees. My dad fled Vietnam with my mother and I…” she sighs again as she lets herself hang limply from her bounds. “I guess it was 1960. I was four. He was a Chinese migrant worker, my mother was a model or so they claimed. I think we both know what they meant. I already spoke some French and Vietnamese, learning English didn’t take long. We moved into the River District after some hustle and bustle. My dad had some friends who had gone over before us, they let us stay with them until we got our own little house boat. It was an easy change, my parents had their own little place on the Mekong so it was just like home.

    At any rate, I took to the city quick and got into all sorts of trouble. It wasn’t like it is today. The River District was the very edge of the city and the Pavillion wasn’t even in viewing distance. The other side of the river was just a sprawl of low income housing. Even more poor than we were...and we were pretty poor. My mother found work making fish sauce on the river’s edge and making meals. My father opened a dry cleaning business because that’s really all you could do in those days. Even with San Fransapporo being a bastion of good will towards the Asian community in America...not a lot of job opportunities for poor non-citizens.

    We made enough to live, enough to keep our boat moving and enough to send me to school with nice clothing. For a while, it was all pretty normal.”

    Master Sun nods along, motioning for one of the guards who disappears.

    “I know you think this is probably just a diversion, to waste your time but if I don’t start from the beginning you’re just going to ask me to stop and explain things when you get lost.” Impact offers, watching the guard return with a chair for Master Sun.

    “Things changed” Impact resumes once the immortal has made himself comfortable. “When I first manifested my powers. Got into a scrap with some kids who thought they could steal from my mom. The look of horror in her eyes as I turned the kid into a bag of bones...we never talked the same...after that. Even when I went to say goodbye...she just looked at me like I was some kind of monster. Wouldn’t let me touch her. Through the dementia...she knew. She’d lost everything else but that.”

    Master Sun offers a frown, steepling his fingers together. “That must have been very painful for you.” For the situation, the man seems sincere in that statement at least. “But how did she remember? It was my understanding that your history had been erased. Surely you remember but her?”

    Silence follows. Two whole pages of the two simply staring at one another. “That’s not how the prison works. Only that day was erased...and the events leading to it. It just...removed the horrors…” her words come in an almost broken whisper. “It still makes my blood run cold, all this time. Looking back on it, knowing the world forgot.”

    “We can make this very short, Impact. We can let you go. Tell me what we forgot...and promise me you’ll help keep it buried.” Another sincere plea from Master Sun. Not one that gets a sincere reply back, not in words anyway. Impact flashes her middle finger.

    Master Sun sighs this time, motioning towards Impact. “Continue then.”
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-07-15 at 09:44 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Ground Zero
    Conditions: none
    Potential: 3/5


    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    Freak: +1
    Danger: +3
    Savior: -1
    Superior: +1
    Mundane: -1


    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    In a China Shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
    Physics? What physics: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.
    -Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.


    Kai couldn't help but think that Tempest was an inaccurate moniker for the President interim. Bombshell would have been far more fitting. It's getting to the point that, between Nessa and Tempest, Kai was starting to feel pretty pedestrian in the board shorts he'd been given to match the beach wear theme, and the open white button-up t-shirt he'd been given to hide his burnt side.

    He concludes that it should be criminal for a world leader to look that good. Then Kai's brain helpfully reminds him that she is, in fact, the head of an oppressive, meta-human supremacist government, and quite possibly is a legitimate criminal.

    Then another part of his brain chimes in to add that she isn't as bad as her dad, and even helped out Halcyon when it was attacked be Atlantean super-humans. That and a random piece of advice floats to the surface of his mind, about taking every opportunity to form contacts with important people.

    "Wish me luck," he whispers to Nessa before stepping out to put himself directly in the way of Miskaela Tatya Novakoff, President interim of Glavnos. He sees a bunch of the suits she arrived with stiffen at his approach. He's not too concerned about guns, but given who they're escorting, there's a strong chance those guys are metas.

    "Yo. Saw what you did in the Utopian Crisis. Smartmove taking out their air support. Prince Mosi could learn a thing or two from you. Was working with him on a hostage situation this morning, and the madman legit just dives right into the middle of it, and takes a swing at the ringleader," Kai says with an air of casual confidence he only wished he really felt.

    "I guess what I'm trying to say here is; Hi, I'm Kai, and I'd like to get your take on some stuff here in San Fran," as he says this, Kai extends a hand towards Tempest.

    At that moment, a gust blows in. Kai isn't sure if it was natural or from Tempest, but it causes his shirt to billow out, revealing the red and blistered skin on his side. He quickly uses the hand that isn't extended towards Tempest to pull it back into place and hide his injury. But as he makes eye contact with Tempest, he knows she saw it.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DreadPirateH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

    Hikari
    Conditions:
    Potential: 1/5

    Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: +2
    • Savior: +0
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: -1

    Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Devil or Angel on My Shoulder: When you provoke a teammate to violent action or drastic measures as your Hero Persona, roll with your Alias Label. When you discourage a teammate from going overboard or making an action they can’t take back as your Alias Persona, roll + your Hero Label.
    • [X]Save the Light: When you step in to intervene, help a civilian, or stop a threat roll + your Hero label. On a miss, you’re made to look the fool. Mark a Condition and give ground. On a hit, you’ve got someone’s attention. Use it as an opportunity or provoke them to action. On a 10+ your foe must respond in kind or flee.


    The panels show the interior of Inquisitive Bite from a low angle. Hikari's shoes and part of her leg take up the foreground, peanut shells crunching underfoot as she makes her way toward Tumult all the way at the back of the restaurant. Tumult wastes no time getting down to business. "Don't tell me you already ordered?" The doofus didn't even hide the envelope in a menu or anything. It's like he wants to be seen. Either that, or he's just really bad at this.

    Reading over the note, Hikari breaks into the biggest smile she can fake. Girlishly brushing her hair behind her ear, she leans forward and rests her hand on Tumult's. "Oh, honey, you shouldn't have!"

    The panels cut back to the low angle underneath the table. One shoe has been removed, a folded piece of paper clutched in-between exposed toes. The foot reaching out, tenderly rubbing Tumult's leg, planting the note in the side of his shoe.

    The panels flash back to fifteen minutes before, Hikari opening the note Tumult had left in her jacket. Instead of intel, it's just a poor drawing of Tumult with a middle finger raised. Hikari is displeased, little frustration lines above her head as the note spontaneously combusts in her hands. In angry response, she pulls out paper and a pen and draws her own note, a crude drawing of a bird flipping the bird.

    Returning to the restaurant, the table is covered in empty plates, apparently mostly Hikari's. Barely crumbs are left on two plates pushed to the side, and a pile of bones sits on the plate in front of Hikari. Sucking the last chicken wing clean, a buzzing emits from her pocket. The bone still hanging from her mouth, Hikari checks the messages. One missed message from Tsunami, one new.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami
    This is deep. Lightbringer came on scene at the end. I think she killed Coyote.
    Team all left scene safe at least. Ronin is looking at the artifact now.
    Might ask The Smith for help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami
    Ronin thinks artifact might be alien tech. Going to take it to The Smith but would like you to come too.
    Can you get back to the base? Ronin and I want to debrief you.

    "Looks like I've gotta run. Thanks for dinner, honey! See you tomorrow night!"

    * * * * *

    Another cut shows Hikari appearing at the Lair through a teleportal. "I'm here! What's going on?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •