Show
    • Freak: +1
    • Danger: +3
    • Savior: -1
    • Superior: +2
    • Mundane: -2

Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • [X] Devil or Angel on My Shoulder: When you provoke a teammate to violent action or drastic measures as your Hero Persona, roll + Danger. When you discourage a teammate from going overboard or making an action they can’t take back as your Alias Persona, roll + Superior.
    • [X]Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
    • [X]Company Man: When you’re confronted by someone from your past, roll + Danger. On a miss, their presence is upsetting and you must either flee the scene or fall back to your training and comply with their wishes. On a 7-9, you’re shaken. Take -1 against them for the duration of the scene but clear their Influence over you if they have it. On a 10+, clear their Influence and mark Potential or clear a Condition.
    • [X]There Will Be Blood: When you scathingly Reject the Influence of a Hero, you may choose to inflict a Condition as if they’d been hit hard even on a miss.
    • [X]Aces High: When you enter a dangerous situation with no plan or trick up your sleeve roll + Danger. On a miss you’re truly woefully unprepared. Expect the worst. On a hit, the tools of success are near to hand. Some assembly may be required, the GM will fill in the details. On a 10+, take +1 forward to see yourself through.

Spoiler: Risk and Reward
    Show
    You’ve been on your own long enough and taken one too many gambles to learn a thing or two. How to repair your gear and stretch resources. How to watch your back when no one else will and how to watch other people’s backs when they think you’re not. Someone’s watching your back too
    however, Luck itself. However you conceptualize this being, it’s got you in its pocket. That isn’t always in your favor.

When you begin play you have Influence over Luck and it has Influence over you. The GM acts as Luck’s agent when shifting Labels or using Luck’s Influence on you. Luck cannot lose Influence over you.

Risk/Reward: As long as you have Luck, you may gain 1 Hold per scene to a maximum of 2 and begin your first scene in the first session with 2 Hold. You may spend Hold at any time to reroll a Move. You must take the result of the second roll, even on a miss.

If you should go to 0 Hold at any time, lose Influence over Luck and shift Superior down and another Label up, your choice. You may mark a Condition to regain Influence over Luck. When you regain Influence over Luck, gain 2 Hold.

Ante Up: When you would Reject the Influence of Luck, Ante Up instead. You and Luck’s Agent will roll opposing 2d6. The higher of the two rolls win. If the Player wins, clear a Condition or gain Potential. If Luck’s Agent wins, lose Influence over Luck and mark a Condition.

Fortune Favors: When Luck would gain Influence over another Player, they Hold 1 and may spend it to reroll a move. They must take the second roll, even on a miss. When another Player would gain Influence over Luck, add a Team to the Pool.

Silk takes a moment to gather her composure before stepping out into the hallway - and immediately getting swept up into a red-headed whirlwind!

Cindersnap is hugging her. Cindersnap is hugging her. Cindersnap is hugging her. They had come a long way since their first encounter at the Monsoon Gala last year - a star-struck girl meeting her role-model and idol. It was like the poster on her wall had come to life before her very eyes! Then they had fought together against the Storm King, helping to save the city in the process. Practically a dream come true, ignoring the dozens of casualties and untold millions in property damage. But hugs are a new development.

So much for composure. At least there were fewer casualties this time.

Hey Cin. Thanks for bailing us out. That's what she wanted to say. What comes out instead, muffled by the hug, is "I need ice cream..."

-= * * * =-

Silk's eyes flash wide in pain at Jin's hurtful words. She'd wanted to get under his skin...but sometimes getting what you want is the worst thing that can happen. She lowers her gaze to the table for the rest of the talk.

A pair of flashback panels reminds the readers of the history these two share. The first shows a demolished highway strewn with the wreckage of cars, and Jin leading a much younger Hikari away from the scene of her parents' death. Pointless casualties of a meaningless attack by a nobody villain. The second shows Hikari crying, kneeling prostrate on the ground before Jin's turned back, begging him not to cast her out.

When Jin dismisses her, Silk stands to leave, but pauses when she sees the scattered cups. Silently, she bends down to pick them up, placing them back on the table with care. With a trembling hand, she pours another round of steaming tea.

"If you've quite finished," she says, her voice more tremulous than her words. "Did you send me away for my own protection too?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled a 9 to take a powerful blow from Jin's words. I'm giving ground and giving Jin an opportunity.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: [Masks] San Fransapporo: After Dark

Ronin
    Conditions: Angry, Damaged, Guilty, Hopeless, Afraid
    Potential: 1/5
    Gadget: 0

Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Freak: +0
    • Danger: +1
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +0
    • Mundane: -1

Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X]White lies: When you comfort or support someone by telling them lies they want to hear, roll + Savior instead of + Mundane. On any hit, if they open up to you, take Influence over them.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.
    • [X] Damage: You get an additional condition called Damaged. While marked, take +1 to take a powerful blow. To clear the Damaged condition, you need time, external help, or special equipment or abilities.
    • [X] Aim for the Moon, Land Among the Stars: When a plan you devise fails and you try to correct your mistake, roll + Superior. On a miss there’s no salvaging the situation, expect harsh retribution or one of your teammates has been placed in the line of fire, GM’s choice. On a hit you’ve pulled an iron out of the fire, gain an Opportunity. On a 10+, add a Team to the Pool.

Miho scoffs despite herself.

”Entropy is the way of the universe,” she says dismissively. ”Science told us that ages ago.” The thought that anyone could lament that chaos is the way of things is laughable; at best, one can put one’s own self in order...at least, for a little while.

The final question...makes little sense to her. ”Now am I to understand the depths of such an alien mind?” she asks, a hint of incredulity creeping into her voice. ”It could be in Egypt, or a literal city of the living dead in another plane of existence, or the nearest graveyard, or a damned nightclub named ‘Necropolis’, she fires back, frustration, turmoil and anger starting to burn through her apathy.

”Not only do I have no possible way of knowing, I couldn’t possibly care.” Her knuckles are white as her hands clutch at the arms of the battered wheelchair, and her eyes flash as she spits the words at him. ”My world is a place of logic and reason, and I have no idea of how to find my way back to that in all of...this.

She collapses back into her chair, looking small and defeated. There were questions she had no answers for – a state of things that was growing more and more common as time went on, rather than less.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Pool: 1

Tsunami, Sunburst, Hikari, Cindersnap

Cindersnap gives some muffled words of encouragement and affirmation though it's hard to hear any of it through the relieving of tension and emotions and stress and also just being pinned to a surprisingly strong superhero's body like a vice. She does, however, eventually relinquish her hold on Hikari and Sunburst, giving you both a solid squeeze individually. "Oh I know, sword slinger. I know." she breathes, patting Hikari firmly on the shoulder. "First things though." She produces a card, handing it off to Sunburst. "I need to talk to your friend here, individual-like. Over ice cream apparently. Can you forgive me for stealing them from you and leaving you in the care of your sullen buddy over there?" she asks, motioning to Tsunami. "You can call me later, we'll set up a date and you and I can talk and if you need another hug I've got plenty. Whatever will make up for this hit and run. You're strong girl, you'll hold tight until then."

She then turns to offer the old lady a bow. "Thank you for calling me, ma'am, and telling me where they were taken. I'm sorry I did not get there in time." The old lady merely gives a half hearted wave, grumpy to still be waiting really.

Spoiler: Sunburst
    Show
    Cindersnap is using her influence on you. She's saying you're going to pull through and you can handle this even if you don't feel like it. Superior up and Freak down or roll to reject.

Ronin

"Your science has many answers but in this stream it is a crumbling raft. You have answered my question however, even if it is not an answer and I am a man of my word. Take some time to consider my offer of friendship young lady. We are allies, you are clever. I trust in the paths that show us sharing common cause and not with you becoming our enemy." With a motion the doors open and a guard moves in to take Ronin's chair.

The gang's all present by this point, Cindersnap having since stepped back from the hug and Max close to some old lady. Jin's men, A Banditry, remain though not for long as the man in question sweeps past all of you and out the door without even a note or notion to the lot of you. With them gone however, the little old lady heaves a loud sigh of relief. "Thought the last of you all wouldn't even show. This old body needs a good sit in a nice chair. Which of you young'uns are coming with me and which of you all are going home? I don't bake, or cook, so you won't get much at my place. I don't get many years left so lets make these minutes count. Got no time for aliases either. Lanoula. Miho. Max? Looks like Abby's got your other friend. Take a minute, figure it out amongst you. This place is stuffy and I need to walk or my knees are going to ache." She then troddles outside, can rapping against the floor loudly as if to make a point.

Hikari: Side Panel

Jin remains seated even as Hikari moves to leave, frowning however when his simple dismissal does not result in an empty room. He glances at the tea as it's poured, a hand finally moving to lift his cup though he simply regards it as if looking at some foreign but familiar thing. "I sent you away because of that. Yes." he finally speaks, his tone returning to something approaching level. "But not just that. For the safety of the Weather Report, for my own honor, for many things I don't trust you'd understand as you are now. You are a beast. Hikari of the Beasts. I alone watched that wild current move through you, tried to help you tame it but you are not fit to be tamed and thus you lash out at the prison that is civility. Had I not set you loose from me, you would have devoured all I have worked for. All the Report has worked for and kept right on with your feast. From beast you would start to a God of Destruction you would become. I could not watch that."

He takes a long sip from his tea, finally setting the cup down. "Still. As a beast. As a God of Destruction. You are my daughter. No matter what form you take or venomous wounds you inflict upon me, I took you in and on my honor it is my duty to see you back on a path where you can either do the least damage or put you down myself. Sending you away was all I could do and still you are a storm. What more would you have me do, when you cannot abandon the pains that wound you so."

Tumult, Vega: In a Cell

The panels move from the halls of the sitting room, down yet more corridors until finally coming to a small cramped cell. Inside sits Vega and Tumult, sullen and sitting across from one another. Both are in cuffs as well, limiting their powers though this seems to be a new addition as a few blast marks sit on the wall across from them and a number of bends in the bars indicate they weren't very quiet prisoners. Steps echo down the hall until the suited man from earlier comes into view.

"A fine pair you make. Been making friends Xiua?" he asks, tone teasing as he reaches a hand through the bars to ruffle the angry red head's hair only for the boy to bite at it, the hand retreating swiftly with a tut. "Your boss is wiring me some funds to get you out. He doesn't want anything other than a call home. I came to check on you. You look ok, your boyfriend has your mask. Wasn't very talkative."

Tumult remains silent for a few moments before nodding over at Vega. "And her?"

The suited man shakes his head a little. "The only one specified was you. She's on her own bud."

Vega and Tumult scowl a little at one another and then the man in the suit. "Then I'll stay here. We have been making friends, after all."

The suited man gives another quick shake of his head, another tutting sound. "No can do. Wolf says you're getting out and I don't turn down those sorts of requests. But we can make a deal..." He turns on his heel, offering a mocking bow to Vega. "Vega of the Constellations, an honor to meet you. You may call me Vincent, if you please. Seems you'd like to get out of here. I think we can come to an agreement..." The man smiles, toothy and every bit as predatory as the wolf he seems to work for as the panels fade to black, the smile remaining until the last panel in a Cheshire style, bright white and shiny until the end as it gives one more speech bubble. "Tell me about The Spear."
    Last edited by Razade; 2021-09-11 at 12:19 AM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Orc in the Playground

Silk
    Conditions: Angry
    Potential: 3/5
    Hold: 1

Show

Show
    • [X] Devil or Angel on My Shoulder: When you provoke a teammate to violent action or drastic measures as your Hero Persona, roll + Danger. When you discourage a teammate from going overboard or making an action they can’t take back as your Alias Persona, roll + Superior.
    • [X]Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
    • [X]Company Man: When you’re confronted by someone from your past, roll + Danger. On a miss, their presence is upsetting and you must either flee the scene or fall back to your training and comply with their wishes. On a 7-9, you’re shaken. Take -1 against them for the duration of the scene but clear their Influence over you if they have it. On a 10+, clear their Influence and mark Potential or clear a Condition.
    • [X]There Will Be Blood: When you scathingly Reject the Influence of a Hero, you may choose to inflict a Condition as if they’d been hit hard even on a miss.
    • [X]Aces High: When you enter a dangerous situation with no plan or trick up your sleeve roll + Danger. On a miss you’re truly woefully unprepared. Expect the worst. On a hit, the tools of success are near to hand. Some assembly may be required, the GM will fill in the details. On a 10+, take +1 forward to see yourself through.

Show
    You’ve been on your own long enough and taken one too many gambles to learn a thing or two. How to repair your gear and stretch resources. How to watch your back when no one else will and how to watch other people’s backs when they think you’re not. Someone’s watching your back too
    however, Luck itself. However you conceptualize this being, it’s got you in its pocket. That isn’t always in your favor.

When you begin play you have Influence over Luck and it has Influence over you. The GM acts as Luck’s agent when shifting Labels or using Luck’s Influence on you. Luck cannot lose Influence over you.

Risk/Reward: As long as you have Luck, you may gain 1 Hold per scene to a maximum of 2 and begin your first scene in the first session with 2 Hold. You may spend Hold at any time to reroll a Move. You must take the result of the second roll, even on a miss.

If you should go to 0 Hold at any time, lose Influence over Luck and shift Superior down and another Label up, your choice. You may mark a Condition to regain Influence over Luck. When you regain Influence over Luck, gain 2 Hold.

Ante Up: When you would Reject the Influence of Luck, Ante Up instead. You and Luck’s Agent will roll opposing 2d6. The higher of the two rolls win. If the Player wins, clear a Condition or gain Potential. If Luck’s Agent wins, lose Influence over Luck and mark a Condition.

Fortune Favors: When Luck would gain Influence over another Player, they Hold 1 and may spend it to reroll a move. They must take the second roll, even on a miss. When another Player would gain Influence over Luck, add a Team to the Pool.

"She's not nearly this sweet in person," Silk says, taking a bite out of a Liu the Robin novelty popsicle. She and Cindersnap walk aimlessly through San Fransapporo's verdant downtown, The Monsoon visible from a few blocks over. The popsicle in her hand has a chibi-style design with grape-purple hair and a single gumball eye - the other one winks closed in a winsome fashion. "You know why she's got one eye closed? They're saving on gumball costs. They're contractually obligated to change the top flavor every time Liu dyes her hair."

As much as she enjoyed savaging her former Weather Report colleague, the idle chatter is merely a delaying tactic. A tactic Cindersnap wouldn't let her get away with for much longer. There would be the inevitable questions. But how is she supposed to explain it all? She could wear the mask in front of her team (former team?) easily enough; she was still angry with them so their hurt looks didn't faze her. Well, most of them. Technically Sunburst had disobeyed her orders as much as Tsunami or Ronin, but it's a probable 12 to 7 that Max had dragged her along under protest...

But this wasn't the Yojimbo. It wasn't Lightbringer, it wasn't Jin. It wasn't even Chelsea. It's Cindersnap. Former leader of The Brigade (a team whose giant footsteps her own Yojimbo were struggling to fill), the Monsoon's biggest rising star, and officially the coolest hero in the whole city*! This would probably be the last time Cindersnap would treat her as an equal, or...a friend. Maybe Koto-sensei would still take her back? It's not like she would have anywhere else to go once this was over. How many times would the Warlords take everything from her? How many times will she have to reinvent herself?

*See Tiger Beat: San Fransapporo edition, July 2013 Issue

-= * * * =-

Silk listens, more calmly this time, sipping her tea with both hands clasping the tiny cup.

"My father was an accountant. He died in a car crash. The Warlords killed him, them and everybody who stood by and let them take power. Maybe they killed me too."

She places her cup back down on the table, eyes still lowered. "Thank you for your tutelage. Without it, I could not hope to be strong enough to strike back at The Warlords. Maybe...I'm still not. But I helped you defeat your enemy, quelled your storm."

Finally, she raises her eyes to meet Jin's. "Help me defeat mine."

Show
    Rolled an 8 to provoke Jin to join the fight against the Warlords. Never mind, the roll was ruled invalid.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2021-09-15 at 04:38 AM.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tsunami
    Conditions: Angry, Insecure
    Potential: 7/5
    Hold: 0

Show
    • Danger: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +3

Show
    • [X] Fireside Chat: When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.
    • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
    • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.
    • [X]Before We Get Started: When you take the time to closely observe your opposition before a battle, roll + Savior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1 and mark a condition. During battle, you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to name a character you observed and...:
      • ...redirect their attack to another character or nowhere—into a wall or the sky.
      • ...cross a distance between them and you.
      • ...disarm them.
      • ...ignore all harm to yourself from one of their attacks.
      • ...escape any bindings or restrictions they attempt to place on you.

Everything is happening so fast. Hikari appears, and immediately Max feels a rush of conflicting emotions, though mostly just an intense apprehension. The blood rushes to his head, and his face feels hot, even as a chill seems to take hold of the rest of his body. There is heartbreak and betrayal simmering in his chest, things that normally would make his blood boil, would make him nearly blind with fury and frustration. But confusion and regret muddles the anger enough that he doesn’t shout, he doesn’t glare, or even huff.

Spoiler: Max Having an Emotional Time™
    Show
    Having had time to stew in a holding cell, all he can see are the bad decisions he bears responsibility for, and how poorly things went the night before. He wears shame as a heavy yoke, and perhaps this stills his tongue as well. He’s certain he’s hurt Hikari too, her trust at least, disobeying her orders and endangering more of the team in the process.

Maybe he shouldn’t care about Hikari’s feelings, after what she’s done. Deceived, disrupted, damaged them. The anguish in Miho’s voice as she realized the betrayal, even the smartest amongst them fooled, and the way she screamed as she was stalked by Silk, it all echoes out and replays in his mind. He hasn’t forgotten. And he’d expected Hikari to be nothing short of furious, but there had been a feeling of intent, of malice, that he’d never perceived in her before.

But instead of being horrified, what he finds instead… is that he feels he’s failed Hikari.

"I want to take down the Warlords, more than anybody!”

She’d said it plainly enough, but he still missed the signs, never believing she’d go this far. He’d committed to supporting her, sensed she was stretching herself thin, but he hadn’t been listening or watching closely enough. She needed something more, something different, something she didn’t believe she could get from any of them, her team.

"I...I can't do that. Not one hundred percent. It's not about me, Max. Or the rest of you. It's about the life. I didn't choose it. I was twelve! I..."

Now ‘the life’ was starting to look a lot like something else. He’d started worrying he’d missed the chance to pull her back from a dark brink… but then, maybe she’d crossed that line before they’d even met. That didn’t mean she couldn’t turn back, though. Max wonders now, if he’d been able to get closer, found a way to prove himself a better confidant, offered her a chance to open up… But it hadn’t been his place to push her on her pain, he’d thought.

Well, he never was very good at being a friend.

But he had at least thought they were that much.

The thought of that in particular being a farce does sting, piercing the fog of confusion. Stirring up old memories of pain and bitterness, the kind that spurred him to move across the country with no plan or pause, assisted by a kindness he probably didn’t deserve. And Xiua’s locked up here as well no doubt… another ‘betrayal’ he probably helped facilitate. Max raises a hand to pinch the bridge of his nose as he feels his eyes and nose starting to prickle, a futile attempt to stop the frustration from finding a physical outlet.

He can’t imagine Tumult has any desire to speak to him, though at the same time, he assumes not visiting him is likely to go over poorly as well. But, he had been trying to reach him for so long… And the Suited Stranger is no doubt there to help the redhead. He can sense the old woman’s impatience, and doesn’t feel particularly up to arguing.

Even if he wasn’t caught up in his own storm of emotions, there’s little chance to speak as Cindersnap catches Hikari and pulls her into the joint hug with Sunburst. He could still make out the mumble about needing ice cream. Such a familiar Hikari-ism twists the knife in his chest further. His hand spreads to simply shield the upper half of his face from view.

Though his eyes are covered, he can still hear as Lan starts to break down into sobs, which only makes his fight against his own tears more futile. Wiping his eyes with a sleeve hastily, he tries to make it as inconspicuous as possible. Which, in an open room full of people, isn’t great. Blinking a little when he can look up again, his brows furrow as he sees Sunburst standing there, now rather abruptly empty-armed as Cindersnap makes a hasty escape with Hikari in tow.

Instinctively, he steps towards Lan, not really having a plan of how to help, but the desire at least. “Um-.. I don’t know if...” He gives up rather quickly trying to ask, and instead defaults to action, trying to pull Lan into a new hug instead.* It’s tight, without being oppressive or painful. “I’m sorry for… everything that’s happened…” He mumbles softly, his throat a bit tight.

He feels his face flush a bit when the old woman speaks up, announcing Ronin’s arrival, and he remembers that she’s watching all of them interact. If the hug has lasted this long, Max loosens his grip finally, to look to their other team mate. He tries to keep as brave a face as he can, although remains silent as the old woman addresses them all before leaving them to decide how to proceed.

“Lan… Miho…” he manages after a lingering pause, having to clear his throat quickly afterwards as it sounds a bit dry and crackly. “...I’m not going to order you to go anywhere… or even to stay on the mission… if there still is one. If you want to go home, you can. We’ll be safe with Basaan though, if it’s on your mind. You’re both… welcome to come with me…”

Show
    *Of course if she fights the hug in any way, he’ll immediately respect her space and back off.
    Last edited by The_Specialist; 2021-09-15 at 08:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Sunburst
    Conditions: Guilty, Insecure, Angry
    Potential: 0/5

Show
    • Superior: +1

Spoiler: Burn and Flares
    Show
    Held Burn

Shielding

You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

Moat

Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

Reality Storm

You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

Snatch

Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.

Move

Spend 1 Burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any restraints in your way. Spend a second burn to move to any place you've previously been.

Overcharge

You channel the full capacity of your incredible powers to overcome an obstacle, reshape your environment, or extend your senses. Spend 2 burn to take a 10+ when you unleash your powers.

Elemental Awareness

Spend 1 Burn and Mark a Condition to open up your mind to the world around you with your powers. You can ask any one question about the world around you and the GM will answer honestly.

Moves

Wish I could be - When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll +Freak instead of +Mundane.

Unstoppable - When you smash your way through scenery to get to or get away from something, roll +Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition, leave something behind, or take something with you. On a miss, you smash through, but leave devestation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM's choice.

Lanuola doesn't immediately realise that the other person pulled into the arms of Cindersnap is Hikari. She is, in fact, only really aware of Hikari's presence beside her as a kind of extra pressure against her side. When she picks out the cadence of Hikari's voice amongst Cindersnap's muffled reassurances her heart lifts a little, glad of the familiarity after hours of isolation. The cathartic hug comes to an end as Cindersnap finally releases the pair of them. Not quite knowing what to do, she accepts the card from the woman and nods dumbly as she's told she's free to give the woman a call. As the woman's attention shifts to her teammate, she finds herself starting to wonder why Hikari wasn't saying anything to her. Or to any of the others in the room for that matter.

Looking over at her, she ends up finding Hikari already meeting her gaze. Her heart begins to sink in her chest again. Hikari's expression was composed, it read to Lanuola as thoughtful, almost dispassionately so. She wants to say something, but her teammate is already starting to leave with Cindersnap. Hikari...

Conflicted feelings well in Lanuola's chest once again. Muted panels fill the space behind her, showing memories of both Hikari and Silk. The fun of learning to ride Yoshi jostles alongside the fear and anger of Silk's ambush at Wukong, the sense of fulfilment of working together to rescue hostages opposite the sense of betrayal at hearing Hikari's blatant admission of who was behind the mask of Silk. "Na e popole ea? *"

Her attention is pulled away from the retreating heroines as Max approaches her. "Um-.. I don’t know if..."

She doesn't get to find out what he was going to say as he gives up and moves in to hug her instead. A little bewildered at the second surprise hug in as many minutes, Lanuola finds her eyes blurring again as she hears Max apologise. She gives a small shake of her head, a motion almost lost in the embrace, and gives a slightly tighter squeeze in response. She follows Max's lead in releasing the hug once his grandma announces the arrival of Miho. Once released, she gives a quick glance at the elderly woman as she moves out into the fresh air outside, then to the newly arrived Miho, and finally to Max as he reiterates the invite.

Part of her was hesitant, reluctant to go anywhere but home. But she'd only have herself for company if she did that, and that was at times the hardest thing to handle. Rubbing at one eye, then the other with the heel of her palm, she nodded slowly. "I-I'd like that..."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Said as much in discord, but reiterating here. Lanuola's accepting the label shift from Cindersnap.

Spoiler: *Translator's Note
    Show
    ""Did you ever care?"

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Silk, Cindersnap: Ice Cream

Cindersnap is quiet, listening really more than anything and happy to walk in silence. When you come to a stop at a street light however, the listening phase seems to finally be at an end. "So double identity huh." Not the most graceful way to peel that band-aid off but her tone is understanding, even sympathetic. "That wasn't going on during the Storm King I assume. This is something new." She motions when the walk symbol pops up, long strides across the street with eyes forward. "I'm not going to beat you up over it, you had your reasons and it's not my business when all the accounting is done. I wish you'd said something sooner but we were both dealing with our own things so I get it. It's not like we were close."

On the other side of the street she makes another motion, a park well within sight of the Monsoon as its shadow looms over downtown in the mid-morning light. If nothing else it's an excuse to get off your feet and while you may have been sitting for hours the park is a far cry from the jail cells and interrogation room you were in only a short time ago. Once you're both settled she continues, the no-nonsense tone you know of her so well brimming up like an ocean swell. "That was then however and this is now and right now? I'm here for you. Call me any time, you're going to be processing this for a while and I wish that's all this was. I wish we had the time just to sit here and you could tell me all you wanted and we could hug and go back to a sane world but that's not what we get." She brings her watch up to her wrist. "Do it." she orders, and...nothing seems to change. The air is still perfumed with cherry blossoms from the trees arching serenely over the large koi pond that dominates the placid park. The wind ruffles your hair and whicks some melting ice cream from your novelty bar but Cindersnap isn't one to do something without reason even if she's not elaborating.

"I'm trying something Hikari and I need your help. I know you're with the Yojimbo and that's..." she trails off, sighing. "Complicated. You could cut the tension in that waiting room with your swords and probably nothing duller. I can't do much on that front, you're on your own with the leg work but if you need a shoulder to lean on during it I'm still here. But this other thing. I wanted to talk to you about it months ago but things didn't line up. I was coming, last night, to finally make a move on it but by the time I got there it was a nightmare. Lightbringer is out of control. This whole city is out of control and that's where we get to the meat of this. I'm leaving the Monsoon." The words hang in the air. The look of determination on Cindersnap's face is matched only by the tight balls she's made her hands.

"They're too kid gloves, I thought they'd be the thing to make change in this city but they're too afraid of starting a war. Too afraid to join in the war that's coming. But you're not. You've been working to take down the Warlords harder than any of us. All alone, no backup. You must have thought the worst of me, all that time but I'm here to show my work. I've been rounding up the gang. The dragon slayers. No one knows where Alex ran off to, she wasn't to be of much help anyway. Not after Hive died. The new Finch has cut ties, won't even speak to me until she figures her new self out. Tanuki is still out there, people are working on him. Not a great showing but I've got Nuisance on side and Drake's promised to bank roll us when we climb out of the shadows. You're the last one. The last person that survived the Storm King, the last person to walk away from Karakuri Town. We need you on side Hikari girl. Don't have to leave Yojimbo, works best if you don't. I know you're all working on something but I have...well. I have side work if you'll take it. Might be the distraction you need. How much do you know about the Ten Yaksha?"

Silk Side Panel

For the second time today you see something in the old man you've only seen a handful of times since he took you in, and never more than once. Pain. "These are the wounds I speak of, that I tried so hard to heal. You scratch at them in your fury. You know I cannot help you in your quest Hikari. You would ask me to bring war to the streets, bloodshed, untold misery. The situation is delicate enough with Lightbringer and her fool antics but you are worse by far. Lightbringer supposes to be a god, wishing to rule over all with her enlightened fist. You...you seek anarchy and madness. What thought have you held to what takes power in the whirlwind of blood you seek? You would unbalance what we have tried so hard to bring aligned for the wrongs they have done to you."

He stands, slowly, sliding the chair slowly back beneath the table before regarding you again. "What they took from you can never be replaced and it is wrong that you cannot have the justice that has rotted in your heart to vengeance but drinking poison to kill your enemies will never achieve what you seek. We did not part on agreeable terms the last time we spoke, I will not apologize for that. I will however extend my hand though you may bite it still. I am here to help you as best I can, within my means. They are not the terms you desire but they are the terms I am able to offer you. You may take them or leave them as you please but know this. I am not your enemy, I wish only for you to purge this venom from yourself and find peace and you have all I can offer to help you on that path."

The guards, at this point, have grown impatient, giving a hard tug on your cuffs as they push you out into the hall and the panels wrap back to before Cindersnap took you away.
    Last edited by Razade; 2021-09-16 at 07:36 AM.

8. - Top - End - #428

PirateGuy

Ronin
    Conditions: Angry, Damaged, Guilty, Hopeless, Afraid
    Potential: 2/5

Show

Show
    • [X] I'll Show Them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.
    • [X]All The Best Stuff: You’ve compiled access to caches of equipment and weaponry other supers have hidden in the city. When you access a cache, say whose cache it is. If it’s a hero’s, roll + Savior. If it’s a villain’s, roll + Danger. On a hit, you find a tool or intel useful to your situation; the GM will detail. On a 7-9, you leave evidence that you’ve been here. On a miss, you tripped an alarm and they’re coming; prepare to explain yourself.
    • [X]White lies: When you comfort or support someone by telling them lies they want to hear, roll + Savior instead of + Mundane. On any hit, if they open up to you, take Influence over them.
    • [X] Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.
    • [X] Damage: You get an additional condition called Damaged. While marked, take +1 to take a powerful blow. To clear the Damaged condition, you need time, external help, or special equipment or abilities.
    • [X] Aim for the Moon, Land Among the Stars: When a plan you devise fails and you try to correct your mistake, roll + Superior. On a miss there’s no salvaging the situation, expect harsh retribution or one of your teammates has been placed in the line of fire, GM’s choice. On a hit you’ve pulled an iron out of the fire, gain an Opportunity. On a 10+, add a Team to the Pool.

Miho almost doesn’t notice the rest of her team right away upon arriving in the waiting room. Her thoughts and emotions have her caught in an inward spiral, but as her restraints are removed she sees the tattered remnants of the Yami no Yojimbo arrayed tensely about the room. Even Hikari is there, although she departs immediately with another woman.

Miho finds it difficult to see any downside to that.

The invitation is both unexpected and appreciated, both when first offered by the elderly woman – Basaan? – and then when reiterated by Max.

”I...would appreciate that,” she admits, supressing a shudder at the thought of going home alone at the moment. She hasn’t been so vulnerable in years, nor so alone; she has no idea what has happened to Chisei, other than he isn’t with her currently. None of her inventions or gadgets are, but it is the absence of her best and closest friend that is the hardest pill to swallow.

”And Max...thank you,” she tells her teammate as she looks up at him. ”I know you did your best, and there’s no way you could have seen any of this coming,” she lies. But these are lies he needs to hear, to stop tearing himself up the way he so clearly is. ”We wouldn’t be here without your support. Which,” she admits reluctantly, ”is something I’m going to need from you. Literally.”

She slaps the arm of the battered old wheelchair lightly.

”This belongs to the station. I’m going to need a...lift,” she says lamely, the admission of her weakness cutting at her as she strives not to show it.

Spoiler: CRUNCH
    Show
    White Lies: Comfort and Support Tsunami: 6 Marking Potential

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Tsunami, Sunburst, Ronin

Luckily for Ronin the Authority isn't so cruel (or as foolish) to hold on to property that doesn't belong to them. While it's true that the majority of your armor was blown apart or had enough critical failures they at least got the most basic of functions operating and you can tell the unmistakable touch of The Smith in all the work done. While Lightbringer had no issue parading you through town after your Pyrrhic victory, it does not seem that you will have to suffer being carried like a sack of potatoes out into daylight. Whatever systems house Chisei are also returned though the work you'll need to get those back is another issue entirely. A guard is on hand to return all of your and the team's things to your care.

None too soon as the short hobbling woman returns inside, waving her cane at Max. "All aboard that's coming aboard now. I can't be standing out here all morning, I have things to do. Now come along, all of you." she grumbles, giving only long enough for everyone to collect their things before she's trawdling off once more. The walk isn't very far as she comes to a familiar sight, a portal you've all used to zip around town. He makes a motion at Tsunami to activate it and then you're all through and in The Forge.

"I don't keep the place comfortable for visitors for a reason so take a little bit to collect yourself and then see yourselves out." the old lady shouts as she seems more spry in the hot dry air, making her way to the looming though slumped figure of The Smith. After only a few moments the mighty hero rises to her feet, a large cavity exposed in her chest where the wizened woman sits, tubes and machines hooked to her before the hatch swings shut. "I told you all not to get involved with this, I warned you." she speaks, the voice more familiar now. "Lightbringer will see you in chains if you persist. This is the single time I can extend a hand to you all. Do with your freedom what you will but next time there will not be me to return you from Lightbringer's clutches."

10. - Top - End - #430

PirateGuy

Ronin
    Conditions: Afraid, Angry, Damaged, Guilty, Hopeless

Show

Show

To say that Miho is stunned that not only is the Smith a maker and user of powered armour, but also in essence is powered armour? The sheer level of artistry and mechanical genius involved in such an undertaking makes her feel like a toddler pushing together Duplo blocks in comparison, and she wonders why she ever thought she could make a contribution at a level where it would make a difference.

Her armour, barely held together and in a very battered chair form despite missing components, is clearly even operational thanks to the efforts of the mighty hero that has once again bailed them out of trouble. Unshed tears shine in Miho’s eyes; the respect of this woman means so much to her, and the likelihood of ever gaining that seems further and further away with every failure she is responsible for.

She knows the right thing to do here is to apologize to the Smith for making her stick her neck out, especially in a way that put her in public, out of her shell and vulnerable. She should thank her for her assistance, for bailing them out of trouble and bringing them here. For trying to protect them from the consequences of their own actions, both before they made them and in the aftermath.

She knows she needs to do this. It’s basic human decency, if nothing else, and there are far more reasons than that to do so. But....

She can’t. It’s too hard, she’s caused too much damage, and she’s afraid of causing yet more if she opens her mouth and lets anything she thinks come spilling out. With a choked sob, she sends her chair in a lurching half-circle and triggers the portal again. While she desperately needs the offered moments to collect herself, at this point she can’t make herself do anything more than flee before she makes everything worse...again.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

Sunburst

Show

Show
    Held Burn

Shielding

You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling +Freak instead of +Saviour.

Moat

Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

Reality Storm

You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling +Freak instead of +Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.

Snatch

Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.

Move

Spend 1 Burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any restraints in your way. Spend a second burn to move to any place you've previously been.

Overcharge

You channel the full capacity of your incredible powers to overcome an obstacle, reshape your environment, or extend your senses. Spend 2 burn to take a 10+ when you unleash your powers.

Elemental Awareness

Spend 1 Burn and Mark a Condition to open up your mind to the world around you with your powers. You can ask any one question about the world around you and the GM will answer honestly.

Moves

Wish I could be - When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll +Freak instead of +Mundane.

Unstoppable - When you smash your way through scenery to get to or get away from something, roll +Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition, leave something behind, or take something with you. On a miss, you smash through, but leave devestation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM's choice.

Heading outside, the relief of fresh air is offset as the noise and bustle of the street presses on Lanuola. A night of sitting in a cell alone, and a morning in a blindingly bright interrogation room had left her in a bit of a daze. She takes a moment before following after the others, mentally recalibrating herself to push through just a little more social interaction before going home to sleep as long as she needed. As she does follow after the trio, she finds a frown forming. Max's grandma had access to the portal network they used..? Stepping through lead to a fresh assault on her senses as the relatively cool air of the streets is swept away by the dry heat of the Forge.

When the elderly woman starts yelling at them, she finally manages to put the pieces together. This must be the Smith. The realisation of who the woman was, and the respect and honour she should probably be feeling for meeting such a prestigious hero, is more than a little overshadowed by another feeling. "E... O e maʻi..?*" She glances at the other two briefly, a distant part of her registering that Miho was retreating in the face of Max's towering mentor. She looked back to the Smith, her skin rapidly flickering as her emotions boiled over.

"You're the one that told us there was war coming, a-and you expect us to not do anything?" She takes a step forward, her voice rising in volume as she does, "We got attacked last night a-and had to fight for our lives! I guess we should've just let them kill us, right! Then Lightbringer and the Rogue, they can have their war without any interruptions, right? Let them just kill whoever gets in the way?" A part of Lanuola was aware she was saying things she'd probably regret later. Balling her fists, she spat on the ground in front of her and continued anyway, "Ou te leʻi fesili lava ia te oe mo lau fesoasoani, oe solofanua.**"

Spoiler: Translator's Note
    Show
    *"Are... Are you serious..?"

**"I never asked you for your help, you asshole"

Show

12. - Top - End - #432
    Orc in the Playground

Silk

Show

Show

Show

After tonight, Silk would have thought nothing could surprise her. Leave it to Cindersnap to prove her wrong, on multiple counts. She can't remember the last time she'd been offered instantaneous forgiveness and support from...anybody. And the news that Cindersnap was leaving the Monsoon? This would call for ice cream, if she weren't already holding a dripping popiscle in her hand. So instead it calls for another bite. Good thing she hadn't already eaten the gumball eye.

She gives an involuntary shudder at the words Karakuri Town. Their final fight with the Storm King was not easily forgotten. But it felt like there was something more than that, tugging at the edge of her memory. With a free hand, she idly runs a hand through her damp hair. But there's nothing.

"The Ten Yaksha..." she says, turning her attention back to the topic at hand. "Not much. They're unaffiliated, right? They weren't on the Weather Report's radar. What about them?"

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Hikari, Cindersnap: Ice Cream Social

Cindersnap sets her mouth in a hard line, nodding slightly. "They're not on anyone's radar, least of all the Report. Even the Monsoon is smart enough to leave them well enough alone. Every once and a while one of their students stops through to give us updates but of all the powers operating in the city they're the ones we know the least about and all of them seem eager to keep it that way. They seem content to keep out of heroing affairs for the most part, they're teachers and dedicates to the blade. Above the petty power squabbles or so they claim but every now and then you hear a rumor of the Eastern Districts and their Wards. Students taking to the streets to test themselves, villains under the Warlords dumb enough to try and set up more shops around their neighborhoods. They're the ten most powerful swordspeople in the city Hikari. We need them on side."

The next five pages are almost like a fighting game roster than a comic book. Five faces in the first spread, four in the next and then a single page dominated by the last of the Yaksha, names given in Kanji overwritten with English. Huan Lo, the Palmtop Tiger of the Tiger's Pavilion, a young man with wildly colored hair and a blade that looks more like a boombox with a handle than any sort of cutting weapon. Ijijozu the Fisher of the Bay District, a grizzled fisherman with a fishing pole to match. Ho-o of the Sannin, a gorgeous voluptuous kunoichi wreathed in flames who wields two short crimson blades. Charles Exeter the Third, a prim and proper blond gentleman with a cup of tea and a classic rapier. The Weaver and her razor thread splayed out with doll like hands in the fashion of a spider.

Hwarang of the Moon Blade starts the second spread page, a youthful woman seemingly around the same age as the team with a large bladed polearm. Din the Sirocco Wind, dressed in simple woven clothing and whose scimitar has certainly seen better days. Udon Sarutobi of the Red Scabbards with three small flags denoting a ramen shop, the pole of which is an extremely long and straight blade. Bao the Heron, a gravestone made in the likeness of a jian with more in silhouette that stretch until they form the straight edge of a triangle.

Finally Urameshi Danzo, the Kensei takes the final page and is the only one given a full profile shot rather than just a cut of their face and weapons. Much can be said of the man but the simple saying "fear an old man in a profession where men die young". Dressed in a plain yukata of austere gray, wielding a single katana, what skin shows is covered in scars, both eyes hold slashes over them, ears frayed and ragged, fingers hobbled. When the panels cut back to Cindersnap she's moved to take Hikari's hands in her own.

"You're the only one I can trust. No one will suspect you trying to bring them to our side. They'll just think you're rogue and looking to prove something. With their teaching and students, with Wukong Industry's money and technology and the Dragon Slayers together in a united front, we can be the blade to slay this miasma spewing hydra that has taken our city. We can be the Kusanagi of legends, Hikari. Once your team's deal is done, we can finally take down the Warlords. "
    Last edited by Razade; 2021-09-25 at 10:29 AM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

Silk

Show

Show

Show

"That's the play, then? War's coming, you need an army. So I go and recruit the Ten Yaksha by...what? Defeating them?" Silk finishes the last bite of her popsicle and licks it clean. Glancing at the stick, it says Liu's wisdom - Luck is the residue of preparation!

Silk sighs. "I'll do it. But promise me you're not gonna quit the Monsoon until after we pull this off? And that you've got a backup plan...in case we can't."
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2021-10-08 at 09:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tsunami

Show

Show
    • [X] Fireside Chat: When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.
    • [X]Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
    • [X]Venting Frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the label your mentor denies (Mundane) and clear Angry.
    • [X]Before We Get Started: When you take the time to closely observe your opposition before a battle, roll + Savior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1 and mark a condition. During battle, you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to name a character you observed and...:
      • ...redirect their attack to another character or nowhere—into a wall or the sky.
      • ...disarm them.

Max is prepared to carry Ronin again if needed, specifically as this time involves consent, though he’s also relieved the authorities don’t keep her property from her. Seeing the state of her armour leaves a sick feeling in his stomach as he tries not to fall back into a cycle of reliving the last night over and over again in his head.

Obediently triggering the teleportal as Basaan motions for him, he waits for her to step through first, and then his other two team mates, before bringing up the rear. The burst of hot air isn’t as welcome as it usually is given the nature of his previous confinement, but he tells himself it’s different still, and much preferred.

Max has always made the maximum effort not to force The Smith to rescue him or pull him and his team out of trouble, perhaps overly obsessed with not being perceived as a burden. To his credit, it hasn’t been something that’s come up much. Given that she gone so far as to give warning prior this time though, he still isn’t particularly surprised when The Smith begins to chide them.

This time he still experiences a similar confusion and disconnect, but unlike before, Ronin isn’t the one who steps up to challenge The Smith’s words. Max’s eyes widen as he hears her sob instead, and actually turn to flee through the portal.

“M-Miho!! Wait!” Max blurts in alarm, turning with a quick step towards the portal as well, halted only by the pure shock of Lanuola’s voice raising behind him. Torn between two directions, Max stares towards the confrontation with hazel eyes still wide in distress. The truth is, he doesn't disagree with Lan’s words, and he has been frustrated but unwilling to push before. For the sake of their bond and history, he still instinctively wants to flinch when Lan spits on the floor in front of his Mentor. But they almost died, and being scolded once again by another adult is grating his nerves, to put it mildly. Even if it is her.

“It’s probably a miracle the four of us survived.” Max speaks up quickly to try and halt or at least slow any fiery backlash from The Smith, but his voice quavers slightly as he finds his emotional footing. “I... I don’t even know where some of the team is. If... they’re alive.” He continues to reflect with a bit of shock evident in his tone, a new mix of anxious fury and righteous indignation starting to sour in the middle of his chest, the young hero slowly turning a bit more towards the two. “You did warn us. But don’t you care more than this? I know you’ve been giving me as much help as... you say you can... But I... I could be dead right now,” The way he says it is as if he’s still wrestling with the fact, as much as he’s trying to impress it upon The Smith, his hands touching his own chest as if making sure he is indeed fully intact and it is not an imagined purgatory.

His chin lifts, and his gaze focuses on The Smith more fully. “Lan could be dead. Miho could be dead... Hikari...” He gestures helplessly towards the portal, his own voice raising, although not purely in anger, equal if not more parts incredulous and confused. “What is going on, that you won’t tell us? Why are you sitting this one out? How can you not turn the tide? Why is it just us? He demands as he steps up to Sunburst's side, gesturing between them as a symbol of the team as a whole. “Why are we the only ones trying to make this right while everyone else out there sh*ts on us?” His hands raise to his head, tugging at his hair briefly in gesticulation before his arms flop audibly against his sides in exasperation. "Do I not at the very least deserve an answer?"

“I can’t walk away, I won’t! You know I can’t! So don’t just tell me that you told me so, that you warned me. Tell me what to do with this, Basaan!”

Show
    Rolled a 9 for Fireside Chat
    Took 'Fighting the good fight' move from the Legacy as my new advance!
    Last edited by The_Specialist; 2021-11-01 at 11:58 PM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Hikari, Cindersnap: ICE CREAM, YOU SCREAM, WE ALL SCREAM FOREVER BECAUSE WE'RE STUCK IN A CAPITALISTIC HELLHOLE!

"You don't have to worry about that. I'm not quitting the Monsoon until everything is lined up. We need people on the inside on every count and...so far we do. The last six months has been creating an information network outside the usual ones. I'm paying good money to keep the usual ones silent too. You focus on what you need to and I'm here to back you up. I'll be in touch with your first target when I get everything sorted." Cindersnap is quick to finish through their own Popsicle with the all too familiar grimace of an ice cream headache. Once she's recovered she's quick to give Hikari a side hug before a car comes around the corner with a squeal of tires. "I hate to run but you know how it goes. We'll do some real girl time when I have time. Good luck Hikari." With that she's in the car, and gone.

Sunburst, Tsunami, The Smith: The Forge

The Smith stands impassive, silent, though with the revelation that what you see is in fact some giant robot that makes things a little more sensible. The silence, the quiet, is that of the storm and after Sunburst's tirade the Smith, with bulging muscles moves to lift her large anvil off its resting block and over her head. "Impudent child." she shouts, heaving the runed metal block within mere feet of the lightshow. "You know nothing and do not know the half of what you will never know. You did not ask for my help but I gave it freely and when you could be rotting in a cell, you spit at freedom. This war is not some petty turf battle, the Rogue is not the enemy no matter what you and your team to instigate her Constellations. The little squabble you had is a thimble to the ocean for what you would otherwise meddle with and still you show your claws at me!" The words are practically howled as with each the Smith advances until she looks above the both of you. Ronin long gone presumably. Tsunami's words only pause the storm and refocuses it though on him instead.

" Had I not told you to simply give us on this fools errand, Max? Did you not tell me that you couldn't? Did I not tell you I couldn't help you further?" The Smith gives a strike with her bare fist against the anvil now embedded in the ground, the metal ringing from the force. "I have no answers for you, no aid, bound by contracts older than you can fathom and more precious than your city. To speak would be to breach them, to incur a wrath that would make this war look like a smoldering heap. I told you not to ask me further, told you to leave it where it lay. I have done what I can for you, child. Given your friend the keys, you work to aid in this war, and that is all I can do. You struggle against a foe stronger than any you have ever encountered and one that few defeat. You struggle against the desire of the many to forget ancient pains. Repression and self delusion. Only Impact may help you now but you will forget that she ever did, rest assured. Now leave before I grow angrier still, I have no need for your seething fury. If you learn the truth, I will be vindicated. I await your apology then, brat." The final statement seems levied at Sunburst as The Smith lifts the slab of metal from the floor, walking it slowly to place it back where it belongs. That is, undoubtedly a cue for you all to do the same. Return to where you belong.

The Chill

The panels break for a final time, this time to open on the broad hall of the top cells of the Chill. We see an unfamiliar face hanging high in the rafters as Guardapes patrol the lower floors, a single speech box sounding. "Do it." The figure disappears in a puff of smoke and the panels go black. The next panel is cast in reds as alarm klaxons sound, the doors to the cells below swinging open and chaos erupting. The figure reappears as several other silhouettes run to a door that suddenly opens in the side of the building, cool night air and the storm flooding in to cast a solid beam of soft blue in the red and black. The final panel shows the chaos continuing, that solid blue bar gone.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

Sunburst

Show

Show
    Held Burn

Shielding

Moat

Reality Storm

Snatch

Move

Overcharge

Elemental Awareness

Moves

Lanuola found herself surprised first by Max coming to stand beside her and offer his voice in support against his own mentor, and then again when the Smith demonstrated that she understood her Samoan. She does her best to not flinch back at the Smith's rant and shows of physical strength, though she does not entirely succeed. The elderly woman's bellowed words manage to fortify her, however. Her anger distilling and running cold, the wild flickering of light smoothing and turning to a steady, sterile glow. The dry heat of the foundry began to feel cool against her skin as her balled fists tightened further. With the Smith seemingly content to make a parting shot at her and leave the matter there, Sunburst took a step forward.

"You simply don't care do you, tagata i fafo*?" Her voice is raised only enough to ensure the Smith could hear her, no longer yelling but instead terribly focused, "We were attacked, and that's our fault. We fought for our lives, but we should apologise!" she abruptly yells the word, fists shaking and her light briefly flaring as she does.

She closes her eyes for a moment, forcing herself closer to composure again. When she opens her eyes again she gestures toward the exit portal, "My family lives in this city, I live in this city. If there's a war coming, I could lose everything I care about."

Sunburst briefly glances to Max, a brief pang of sympathy finding its way into her chest before she looks back to the Smith again, "Afai e te le popole i le taofia o se taua i totonu o le aai, ma e te le popole i ola o tagata o loo tauivi e laveai, o le a la le aoga ia te oe? E fa'afefea ona e taumafai e ta'u mai ia te a'u e le o lo'u fili le Rogue pe a mana'o ia ou oti. Ou te iloa e popole Max ia te oe ma faʻaaloalo ia te oe, ou te iloa e taua foi oe ia Miho, ae ou te le iloa pe aisea." She shakes her head and takes a half step back, a repulsed look on her face, "E te iloa la o le a? Nofo iinei. Natia i lau pa. O le a ou tau lava. Afai ou te manumalo, e aunoa ma lau 'fesoasoani' ma e mafai ona e nofo i le paolo ma fa'agaloina. Afai ou te faiaina, ma malepelepe le aai, e te nofo lelei iinei ma le saogalemu, ma le iloa o lau mealilo na o le afe ma afe o ola e teu ai**."

Spoiler: Translator's Note
    Show
    *outsider

** If you don't care about stopping a war in the city, and you don't care about the lives of the people fighting to save it, then what good are you? How dare you try and tell me the Rogue isn't my enemy when she wants me dead. I know Max cares about you and respects you, I know you matter to Miho too, but I have no idea why." She shakes her head and takes a half step back, a repulsed look on her face, "So you know what? Stay here. Hide in your forge. I'll fight anyway. If I win, it'll be without your 'help' and you can stay in the shadows and be forgotten. If I lose, and the city gets ripped to pieces, you get to sit here nice and safe, knowing your secret only cost thousands of lives to keep."

Show

18. - Top - End - #438

PirateGuy

Ronin
    Conditions: Angry, Damaged, Guilty, Hopeless

Show

Show

It’s dark, the only illumination coming from the flat screen mounted on the wall. All of the windows are closed and shuttered, the security system active and locked down, all communications powered down and offline. The scent of curried rice hangs in the room, takeaway delivered from Hoshinoya and a hands down favorite comfort food, invoked at the lowest of the low.

Perhaps things would be better off with the company and support of a sympathetic friend, but right now solitude is all that can be borne, to lick fresh wounds and to just…try to forget for a while, forget just how badly things have gone of late.

A finger hesitates, trembling for a moment, then presses down firmly before retreating back into the cocoon of blankets, sound pouring out from the carefully placed speakers as colours begin to flash across the screen.

Go!

T-E-E-N

T-I-T-A-N-S

Teen Titans, let's GO!

Teen, Teen, T-T-T-T-T-Teen

T-T-T-Teen Titans GO!

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Sunburst, Tsunami, The Smith: The Forge

The silence left in the wake of Sunburst's further tirade could probably weather any assault from any of The Smith's weapons in the room and the icy tone in the aforementioned's voice could quench the stifling heat. "No apology then. That right. You'll have done it without me. What a feather in you're cap that will be. Perhaps once you've done that, if you can, you will see things differently. Your friends know better, my apprentice knows better, but you're just a small girl lashing out. Wild and careless, no better than the Constellations you took victory over, unable to see how much help you've truly had and arrogant to hear the impossibility of a request and press on. You're a toddler holding their breath, a babe needing a change of diaper and to be put to bed."

The Smith then turns to Tsunami, pointing to the portal. "Take your friend from here before I lose my grace and my hospitality and find yourself somewhere else to rest for the evening. I've had enough of your friends tarnishing my workshop for a lifetime, I trust you won't bring them back again. You'd best see yourself scarce for a time as well, we'll discuss our arraignment when the fires have cooled."

Spoiler: Sunburst
    Show
    That's certainly a label shift for you Sunburst. Roll to reject or Superior down, Mundane up please.
    Last edited by Razade; 2021-11-09 at 01:50 AM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tsunami
    Potential: 6/5

Show

Show
      • ...disarm them.

Max grits his teeth, understanding well that the silence will not last. He holds fast in preparation, staying at Sunburst’s side as the heat comes, and is ultimately refocused on him for his demands.

His face twists further in a mixture of pain and frustration at the answers he’s given, trying his best to glean what information he can from the fiery and often cryptic statements. His ears ring as The Smith pounds the anvil with a ‘bare’ fist, feeling the vibrations shaking his chest. Normally her anger would leave him feeling nothing but ashamed, but this time there is so much more to wrestle with. He never would have imagined standing in defiance against her, side by side with a team mate to boot.

He can’t help grinding his teeth in a mixture of frustration and futility as he watches Sunburst step forward with raised voice out of the corner of his eye, blinking once at the sharp focus on the word apologize but keeping his gaze on his mentor. That is, until his team mate actually looks back to him, however briefly. He meets her gaze while it lasts, still appearing to be on her side if lacking words. His thick brows knit together however as Lan starts to speak in Samoan again, lacking his teacher’s comprehension of the language.

It’s clearly not anything The Smith wants to hear however; although her voice is icy this time, the words are no less searing.

Max lets out a sharp sigh in exasperation, sensing that nothing has come or will come of the conversation. Nothing good anyway. When she points to the portal, he does begin to turn towards it.

“I won’t,” He confirms simply as he turns away, beckoning for Sunburst to join him. The mention of ‘our arraignment’ does cause the slightest stutter in his step, but he pushes forward. His face begins to burn however as the swirling emotions in the center of his chest begin to peak again.

Blinking rapidly, Max wipes his eyes rapidly as he exits the portal, hoping that the moment of teleportation will hide the action.

“I’m... sorry. About all that,” Max grunts abruptly. He can’t think of anything more intelligent to say on the matter, as he glances hesitantly towards Lan. He makes an effort to soften his tone a little. “I’m sure... uh...you want to check in on your family, and stuff. You’re welcome back at the base though... welcome to stay, too, I mean... Any time.”

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Pool: 1 (Reset)

Tsunami, Sunburst

With the invitation open, the panels close on the pair walking back out into the city though in which direction isn't shown. The third issue of Yami no Yojimbo was notable for its usage of negative space and Ma art, the print was limited and like its first issue became something of a collector's item. The following pages reveal the passage of time in simple brush strokes, the buildings cast with white ink on deep black pages. Slowly the city changes, lines dividing sections of San Fransapporo becoming rifts becoming chasms becoming vast fields of nothing. All the while, the white ink starts to change, colors flowing from the bases of buildings. One segment gold, one segment a brilliant azure blue, another a dark forest green and among the sudden rainbow of color, a single point of black at its center where the base of the Yami no Yojimbo would be.

Even as the pages return to a more comic format, the colors remain monochrome among a sea of black boxes and white gutters. Some type of boardroom splashes on the page, figures of gold sitting among a flat rectangle of white, a table. Other panels show a fiery haired woman, the Chill looming in icy blues, but not alone. Other figures in hooded robes depart across the midnight sea, the fiery haired woman behind, the figures forming a large fish like shape with a emblazoned tail, a large fish in an even larger pond. The symbol of the Guardians West, its azure blue relief with a sword and gear sits above a packed hall, the black used simply to outline the ever increasing white silhouettes of people until the page simply bleeds into the gutters, the final page simply white.

The color returns abruptly, a posh and pleasant suite overlooking San Fransapporo. The ocean is not in view, the room far from the shore though the unmistakable sound of waves flit in SFX bubbles as the camera pans to the room's occupants. They are known to readers on sight however text boxes give name, alias and what might pass as an "occupation" to some within the city. All three are dressed in matching suits, only their ties offering some coloration.

The first is Tumult, Xiua Hee Yu, listed as "Former Koto Ninja/Current White Wolf Attache". He's looking better than the drowned rat he resembled in the cells, brilliant orange hair combed and pulled back into a smart topknot, a dark green tie accenting his eyes, wolflike cufflinks to complete the set. In addition, he wears a deep scowl as he sits across from the second of the three, all sat around a low coffee table on smart modern couches.

The second is Vega though the name is crossed out violently in the text box as is "Constellation", a crudely scrawled "Former" hastily overwritten. Much like Tumult the line has a /, the words Arbiter's Attache written in more neat handwriting. Like Tumult she's clearly cleaned up after the altercation at HexXxen, lavender hair accented by lavender tie and silver lyre shaped buttons stud her rumpled suit. She similarly wears a deep scowl as the couch seems content to try and swallow her up in its plush depths. The scene starkly reminiscent of the panels showing their previous incarceration.

The third figure has, until now, gone unnamed and the least familiar of the three. The suited man from the jail is noted as Arbiter, real name redacted and "Information Broker" listed in a similar space as the previous two's attachments. Black tie offsets long white hair, reminiscent of the previous art spreads. It appears he's recently joined the others, bare feet propped up on the coffee table, toes pedicured and painted black with two golden loops around his ankles lined with bells.

"Aren't we comfy." The Arbiter's speech bubble finally cuts through, a smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes in contrast to his dour guests who shoot the man further unfriendly looks. "Yes, I know" he continues unabated "that I left you both waiting for two hours but we're all very busy and now that you're teammates I thought you'd enjoy spending some time together outside a cell...or a less comfortable cell. You are I suppose prisoners still of a sort. I'll be a gentle jailer. Lukas would not forgive me if I injured his star pupil." The smile is aimed at Tumult before the jingle of bells announces The Arbiter is on the move, pacing around the room, the panels focused on his feet as they're swallowed up by the thick carpet.

"Once I know you're both on side, the prison doors can be left open and you can come and go as you please. A luxury you'll both enjoy, much like our recent news highlights." The camera pans to the Arbiter's hand, nailed likewise painted black, as they motion to one of the nearby walls, a large screen monitor sliding out from a panel in the ceiling. On it is various news headlines and readouts, drone footage of the city. The largest headline reads "Breakout!", a list of criminals from The Chill listed with lines running to the readout displays listing powers and other information. All of them are noted as "Former Supernova" and those well read on the subject or from previous comics can recognize their names. Each a former member of Cindersnap's team. The drone footage seems to track each of their movements through the city, some even revealing x-ray capabilities as the outline of walls do little to hide the people beyond them.

"You might consider this all a coincidence but it's my job to turn you former villains into upstanding members of society. The first lesson is to see connections where the big players will want to obfuscate. Take for instance..." With another motion, the information and headlines disappear, replaced with a very large, very detailed, picture of Hikari and Cindersnap eating ice cream. "Seems innocuous. Two people who know one another having a sweet snack only a few minutes after a very difficult night and you'd be right, that's exactly what it is. But ask yourself, why would the rising star of The Monsoon be seen with someone incarcerated by The Authority, or even at an Authority Jail? Further, why would she be working with The Smith?" The Arbiter turns to look at the younger unfortunate companions. The scowls are replaced with blank stares.

"Not a name you recognize Lyra? Xiua knows them well enough don't you?" Another motion, the little old lady from the Jail and Tsunami joining a now minimized picture of Hikari and Cindersnap. "While I bailed the two of you out, you're welcome, she bailed these two out. The other two you fought as well. You might think that's coincidence too. A nice gesture from The Smith since she's training up ol'Tsunami here. But you can start to see the lines, can't you?" More blank stares from Tumult and Vega prompt a heavy sigh from the Arbiter.

"This is what we call an alibi. Cindersnap's former companions, incarcerated in the Chill for almost a decade suddenly get sprung the night after she's seen helping Hikari, also a former ally, out of prison alongside The Smith. Cindersnap is the consistent element here. Say what you will about the Yami no Yojimbo but they're making quite the bit of upset in this town. Handed the two of you your butts that night and probably would have done more if Lightbringer hadn't stepped in. Cindersnap was on site not long after, it was her who negotiated what would very well have been their very long stay in jail to some questioning and sleepless night. She's up to something."

The pair finally offer a nod, seeming to at least humor the older hero. "With the city a tinderbox, imagine what some new faction popping up would do? With the Koto licking their wounds, three Constellations down, the Rogue offer with her new toy and the Cleric unaccounted for, Lightbringer's got to be grinding those dentures about now. If there was ever a time to strike a blow against The Warlords, now would be the time. The Guardians and their recruitment drives have only put them more off kilter. It'll take months for them to get new people to fill in all the places The Authority's left holes in. They're down two Directors with the old Monkey King dead and buried. Don't think it's coincidence either that his next in line has been supplying the Monsoon either or that Cindersnap was the one that brokered that particular deal. Or that Monkey Island got hit by an attack by one of your friends, Lyra. It's all connected, the puzzle is out there."

Lyra perks at the mention of Polaris, energy swirling around her hands as she brings them down against the table with a loud crack, both men jumping a little in surprise. "You've bought my services but I'm not some trained monkey, don't think you can wave around the other Constellations under my nose and think I can't see you trying to rile me up. I've got nowhere else to go so you're as safe a harbor as any. Rogue taught me more than enough to know how to deal with an employer who wants to get cute though. We can cut to the chase. Three weeks ago I'd never heard of you but I've seen how well connected you are. You've just been sitting in the shadows this whole time, tugging strings, greasing palms, not taking sides. A free agent in San Fransapporo. So what's your end game, if we're your team, if you're going through all this trouble to bring the two of us in." Lyra motions to Xiua who has now turned to fix the Arbiter with a scrutinizing look. "You've got to have a plan. A move you're wanting to take. So just get to it, we don't need you to prove how smart you are. Lie to us, get us on the streets and get to the bit where you toss us to the wolves. At least they're honest they want to eat you."

The Arbiter makes a look of mock hurt, a hand moving to his heart. "So aggressive, young lady. Such accusations! I have no need or desire to lie to you. Good help is hard to find, better help even harder. I'd no sooner toss you aside than I would toss aside a plate or a kitchen knife. You're a utility that doesn't cease its use no matter the stress. If I bought you it's only because you were worth the price. Does a man hiding in the shadows, greasing palms, strike you as a man that would spend money on a frivolous venture, some fast food style hamburger to be consumed and forgotten? No. You're smart, but you've been trained to be distrusting, to look for angles when there are simply smooth sides. The fact you're both sitting here only further illustrates how very much I am trusting you. Xiua here because he's a friend of a friend. You...well you said it best. You've nowhere else to and the sooner you learn how to be polite, the sooner you'll see this really isn't a prison but a fortress. It's good to be outside the first, better to be on the inside of the other when war is coming."

"So that's it then. You're making a move now because this city is about to just go pear shaped in a big way? Angle in on territory? That doesn't seem like the move a spider would take." Xiua interjects, looking back at Lyra. "This is all one big fat bug in the web. It doesn't matter if Cindersnap and Tsunami's team are working together, making waves. It doesn't matter that The Authority is going to take a war to The Warlords and the Guardians. You're waiting to jump in and eat. We're just smaller spiders, useful because the bugs we were trying to eat got away and knocked us off the webs and on to yours. That's nuts. That over-glorified Death Star won't let either of us get close. I shot her with every intention to take her head off and she just kept on moving. Lyra here was all ready to drown her in the Pacific if it weren't for Tsunami. Even if I can convince him to trust me, there's no way both of us are going to keep tabs on them. We're useless as far as the Cindersnap angle is concerned. The Warlords won't take Lyra back, I won't go back to my mother so that angle is done. We're not going back to an Authority jail again either. So what's the play? How are we useful to you in this war so you can stay in the background until it's time to eat the big bug?"

Lyra nods enthusiastically through all of it. The pair seeming in lockstep when previously they seemed eager to be out of one another's company. A united front.

The Arbiter merely shakes his head, moving with a jingle in his step to sit back down in his seat. "You both regret that night for different reasons. I've heard you talk, you know I know what you're planning the minute I finally let you back on the street. You'll work something out. It'll take time but all the parties here have a part to play. Be it a day, a week or when the city is burning, there will be a moment of clarity where it will all come clear to you how you can best take advantage of the situation. You're friends with the Yami no Yojimbo, estranged though you may be at the moment, so that means I'm friends with them. What I stand to profit out of the chaos they've caused, whatever they're planning, is irrelevant. All that matters is when a storm rolls in that you stay afloat. When the storm passes, everyone will look for somewhere dry to rest. Be there with towels, on the house. Grateful people are willing to pay a lot more when they think they're paying you back a kindness."

The panels then cut to a small text box on the following page.

"Three weeks have passed since the tsunami at Bear Island. While the city grows ever closer to open violence on the street, instigated by increasingly aggressive overtures by The Authority exacerbated by the slow response from the Guardians West, the public have begun to take sides. The breakout at the Chill has eroded the public's belief in their heroes even further, cries for stricter incarcerations and even more extreme measures fill the airwaves.

While this mounting tension seems to be reaching it's breaking point we return our focus to the Yami no Yojimbo after their team meeting two weeks prior, mundane events a well needed distraction from the previous week's conflicts. The time proves even more important as news of their former teammates slowly trickle in through the news and grapevine. Moonshadow is the first, most likely their whereabouts given to Sunburst and further desiminated to the team. The plucky heroine seems to have taken a page out of Tsunami's book, leaving their home city for another, one where their reputation and family has no reach. She has at least texted Sunburst several times after the news of her leaving, that she is safe, that she hopes they are safe, and that they'll see one another again.

The news of Ground Zero and The Lion are less positive. The Lion has a brief spot on the news, discussing overtures from Glavnos to allow his people to finally leave San Fransapporo for a permanent home. The political ramifications of this move are the main focus and Tempest of Glavnos soaks up the press coverage, declaring it as a humanitarian victory for Glavnos the likes of which the United Nations and the United States failed to accomplish. Outrage is the overwhelming response to the obviously incendiary comments. The Imamu and the Glavnos delegation left two weeks ago. Ground Zero's name is not broadcast in the usual news venues, instead found on the Guardian West's official news source. Unwilling to be taken in by the Guardians for the rampant destruction and hospitalization of several city blocks and motorists respectively, Ground Zero was first moved to the Chill after being subdued. Due mostly in part to the subsequent breakout and with no family to be returned to, the Guardians elected to send the hero back to where he'd come. The Weather Report is noted to have sent the young hero back to the Cacophony. The report ends on that note."

With that, the first chapter of Issue 3 comes to a close. When we open to chapter 2, we are given the following information.
    - What the remaining members of the Yami no Yojimbo got up to in the three weeks previously mentioned other than the team meeting.
    - What, if anything, happened in the private meetings with Hikari and the other three.
    - Where are the members of Yami no Yojimbo now and what are they currently doing.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

Sunburst
    Conditions:

Show

Show
    Held Burn

Shielding

Moat

Reality Storm

Snatch

Move

Overcharge

Elemental Awareness

Moves

The panels transition to the San Fransapporo waterfront. The overhead view shows it to be on the quiet side, a few couples and small groupings moving up and down the paths along the shoreline, but otherwise quiet. The focus shifts closer to the pier itself. With the cues of the hoodie she's wearing as well as the location, the reader might be forgiven for mistaking the girl sat there as being Moonshadow. A final close up reveals her to instead be the absent hero's sister.

Lanuola is looking more well-rested than when we last saw her, the scrapes and bruises on her face are likewise little more than a memory now. She's sat with one knee pulled up to her chest, her other leg dangling over the end of the pier. Beside her sits a half finished carton of french fries, a trio of seagulls already eyeing the contents and weighing up the risk to them for the fried potato. Lanuola herself appears to be lost in thought, staring unseeing out into the water. The hoodie she's in is clearly too large for her, not quite swamping her, but at least a couple sizes bigger than what would fit her comfortably. Her phone is held idly in one hand, an unsent, incomplete message typed out on it which, should the reader turn the page upside down, they can see reads Ei tuafafine, ua ou misia oe. Ua amata ona leaga mea iinei, maimau pe ana e i ai iinei e fesoasoani. Ou te faamoemoe*

A particularly bold seagull breaks Lanuola's reverie when it darts forward with a squawk, grabbing a beakful of french fries and flying off. "Hey! Oe tama'i gaoi!**" Lanuola twists in her sitting position, the movement causing her oversized hood to slip down over her eyes. The remaining seagulls take advantage of her temporary blindness, one grabbing its own beak of food, the other missing and managing to knock the container off the edge and into the water instead. Lanuola yanks her hood back and off her head just in time to helplessly watch the fries tumble into the water. "Ahh... I wasn't done with those..."

Getting to her feet, she glares up at the now circling gull. It gives out a long cry, one that she had to remind herself wasn't really the gull laughing at her misfortune, even if it sounded like it. Switching to her camera on her phone, Lanuola carefully leans out over the water and takes a picture of the very soggy fries. A close-up panel switches to an over the shoulder shot of her message to Cindy. With her hood now down, her freshly dyed hair tips are now visible. Coloured a similar blue to Cindy's braid, the dyeing is uneven, strongly suggesting she'd attempted the hair colouring on her own rather than at a barber's. Her phone screen shows that she's deleted the message she'd been composing, instead sending the photo of the drowned fast food with the message This is your fault, the gulls only know it's food 'cause you kept showing them it.

Pocketing her phone in the amazingly spacious hoodie pockets, and making a mental note to see if anything else of what Cindy had left behind would fit her if only to take advantage of easy pocket storage, Lanuola slowly started to make her way back toward her home. The background behind her fades away and takes on a sepia tinge, fracturing into panels showing her past few weeks since she was last on page whilst, in the foreground and in full colour, Lanuola goes about her routine. The panels start with the week immediately following the events at the Smith's forge. An angry, exhausted Sunburst splits away from Tsunami and trudges through sepia-streets until she reaches her house, her parents ushering her inside and fussing over her until she ends up falling asleep on the sofa from simple fatigue. The following days flash past with simple highlights. Being checked over by her uncle, plasters and iodine on the table as he cleans and patches her back up. Sitting in an extremely uncomfortable Kintsugi meeting and trying to fall through her own seat and into the ground to avoid the stares coming her way. Knees up to her chest on her bed and tears in her eyes as she reads a goodbye message from Cindy on her phone. And finally, just as present day Lanuola opens the door to a bakery, a tense looking team meeting, all eyes on Hikari.

Her entrance is marked by a tinny bell, the baker behind the counter glancing up briefly from the customer he was currently serving. Lanuola paid the brief attention little mind, heading instead to the display. Various bread rolls and pastries sat on the different shelves, including several Polynesian specialty breads. Digging into her pocket, Lanuola produced a scrunched up shopping list, scrutinising her mother's spidery handwriting. As she does, the shop background gives way to more of the sepia-tinged flashback panels.

Lanuola sits on Cindy's old bed, very slowly working through the clothes her sister had left behind. An open bag lies on the bed beside her, a big label marking the bag with 'Post to Cindy'. A scene change shows her back at the construction site, struggling with a heavily laden wheelbarrow whilst drawing cold glares from the people meant to be supervising her. Then a hesitant Lanuola meeting with the fiery haired Cindersnap. Experimenting with hair dye in the family bathroom, trying her best to not make a complete mess of her hair. Walking with Hikari, an uncertain look on her face as her teammate- "-uola..? Hey, Lanuola..?"

Lanuola blinked, bought back to the present, looking up to see that the baker had finished, leaving her as the only customer in store. She broke into an embarrassed smile, "Ah, Pasilio, malie. I, uh, I must have zoned out."

The baker, Pasilio, raises an eyebrow at that, "No kidding." For a moment it looks like he's going to say more, but he lets the moment pass. "So, what're we doing for you today? Your usual?"

Lanuola gives her list a quick glance to confirm, then nods, "Yeah. Uh, and a Fa'apapa for tinamatua."

Pasilio nods, quickly bagging a few buns, a dense looking loaf, and a couple of pastries. Lanuola blinks at that last addition, "Oh! I, uh, I wasn't going to ask for-"

She stops as the man waves his hand to quiet her, "Nonsense, I watch the news, you've been through a lot. They're a gift from me." Lanuola feels her cheeks heat at that comment, "You need to be careful if you're going to be fighting on the streets, let that masked boy do the heavy lifting, or the guy in the armour."

Opting not to correct him, Lanuola instead accepts the bag of baked goods gratefully, digging out the cash she'd been given for the purchase "Thanks Pasilio, I appreciate it." Taking her change, she opens the door to leave.

"And give my condolences to your father!" There's a grin on Pasilio's face now, a jovial note in his voice, "It's a tough time to be a Manu Samoa fan!"

Lanuola breaks into a grin of her own, "No need, we both know we'll clip the Eagle's wings before the end of the season!"

Her parting comment draws a laugh from Pasilio. Leaving the bakery in high spirits, she continues on her way home. For the last time, the sepia panels return. The first of them shows her paying a visit to the team base, the first such visit since her falling out with the Smith. She has a small gift basket with her, the note on it specifying it's for Max. In the next, she's shown to be sending a message to Miho, an invite to hang out and get out of the house somewhere. The third, and final, sepia panel shows her packaging a small green toy motorcycle into a box, a handwritten card saying 'a fresh start' alongside the toy. In the present, Lanuola reaches her house without incident, stepping inside and unloading the groceries in the kitchen before moving to the sofa. Pulling out her phone, she brings up her contacts list. It doesn't take her long to find Lyra's name. This wasn't the first time she'd sat staring at the number. How the Constellation had put her number in through a locked phone, she didn't know, but the only time it could've happened was when she'd bumped into her during the hostage situation a few weeks back. She sighed to herself.

Why would someone be so friendly, then turn around and try and kill her? Why didn't she try and do so at the hostage fight? Or on the train. It'd been bugging her for weeks now, it just didn't make sense. Opening the messages, the chat log showed no communication. Lyra hadn't said a thing. But then why put her number in her phone..? Lanuola tapped her nail against the phone case a couple of times, then made a decision.

I want to talk. She paused for a moment, then added, About HexXxen. Another pause, Sunburst.

Pressing her head back against the head cushion, Lanuola tried to think whether Miho or Max would say if this was a good idea. After a long moment, she hit send. It didn't matter what they thought. She needed to know, and it wasn't like anyone else was going to have the answers. Pocketing the phone in her borrowed(?) hoodie, she got to her feet. Her parents would be home soon, time to do some chores.

Spoiler: Translators Notes
    Show
    * Hey sis, I miss you. Things are getting bad here, wish you were here to help. I hope

** "You little thief!"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    It's a while ago now, but Sunny rejected the Smith's influence. She cancelled the Smith's Influence over her and shifted Saviour down and Superior up. I've also marked both a birthday and a christmas potential.
    Last edited by Comissar; 2022-02-05 at 04:30 AM.

Show

23. - Top - End - #443

PirateGuy

Ronin
    Conditions:
    Gadget: 2

Show

Show

The next page gives way to panels of another of member of Yami no Yojimbo going about her day, although in this case ‘going about’ is perhaps a bit of a misnomer, for the panels depict Miho’s cluttered-but-organized garage workshop, stark shadows cast from bright overhead lighting banks. She’s working on some manner of intricate circuit board, part of her face magnified by the lens she’s looking though toward our point of perspective.

The sepia toned panels make their return, although the tale they tell is in some ways sadder than the last set. As the circuit board continues to have microscopic adjustments made to it, we see Miho slumped on the floor, the battered form of her armoured chair looking even more precarious than before. Subsequent panels show her dragging herself around to various parts of the workshop, decanting armour plates from moulds, running wiring, using her body weight on a chain hoist to lift an exoskeletal framework to be suspended in the air.

Every sepia panel is devoted to the work, and the panel borders themselves have jags to them, hinting that things are indeed Not Right.

Pushing away the magnifying lens, Miho picks up the circuit board and sets it on her stomach before dragging herself backwards across the floor on her hands, having long ago stopped thinking about this as anything but the way she maneuvered about her workshop. Reaching up to set the revised circuitry on the work tray in the centre of the workspace, she hauls herself up on the low scaffolding erected for just this purpose. Settling her legs into place with her hands, she picks up the piece she had been working on and carefully slides it into an open component of the armour clearly designed to receive it.

Armour...that doesn’t look quite the same as the last time we saw it, even apart from the damage done to it. From what we can see, it appears a bit bulkier, with some changes to the articulation. And just in case the reader is less observant than desired, in the background can be seen the battered remnants still parked in the corner.

Turning the page gives us a splash panel, showing the entirety of the armour as Miho leans back to regard it, a bold info box proclaiming:

RONIN: MKII

Lowering herself down from the scaffolding, Miho hands herself over to another low workbench where her computer is set up, cables strung aross to various ports in the armour. As she begins some diagnostic tests, the flashback panels return once more, showing additional times in the past weeks where she’s been in front of the screen. A spreadsheet with an eclectic group of names on it, ranging from extremely well known like Lightbringer and the Smith to far less famous ones, like Alexandre Mars and William Sidis. Her hand hovers a moment, then resolutely closes the document. An email from Lanuloa, an invitation to hang out and get out of the house somewhere. A video call with Erika, the teleporter vanishing from the screen to reappear at Miho’s side, wrapping her arms around her as the younger girl collapses against her.

The sepia tones vanish as the mouse pointer clicks on an almost ostentatiously large button labelled EXECUTE, and Miho shuffles about to regard the armour as a progress bar grinds inexorably toward 100% on the screen behind her. Handing herself over, she unfastens a few key pins and the scaffolding collapses in a loud clatter of hollow tubing which she shoves roughly aside to clear a path.

She hesitates then, looking up at the armour standing tall and proud above her, unblemished and uncaring of the failures that had come before it. It was easy for the armour to be cold and confident, it is designed to be just that. Unfortunately for the hero within that armour, that weak and fleshy core isn’t nearly so sanguine. She’s been locked away for weeks now, getting the Mark II up and running, with minimal contact with the outside world. It was...tempting...to maintain that isolation; going out into the world is just one more opportunity to screw things up trying to do what’s right.

One last sepia panel rises to the surface, showing Miho and Lanuloa in a park down in the River District, the former in a perfectly mundane wheelchair as the two of them sit in the sun amongst the trees, Miho looking pale and withdrawn, with joggers, dogs, Frisbees and children populating the scene around them.

Miho smiles slightly. No, despite the insidious lure to bury her head under the covers and hide from the world, there are good people and important responsibilities that demand her presence in the wider world.

The computer beeps behind her, and the cables automatically detach from the suit and slither to the ground about it. Miho takes a breath, holds it for a long, long moment, then lets it out in a rush.

It’s time.

”Armour. Open,” she commands, her voice a little rusty from infrequent use. The silver plating unfolds like an alien flower, revealing the interior designed to support her, protect her, hold her up and move her wasted legs like a whole and intact person. Taking hold of the cool metal, she begins the process of dragging herself up to the level everyone else operates at.

One handhold at a time.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Sunburst

Chores are as chores are in a family as large as Sunburst's, always something to clean or tidy or repair though the latter is mostly given over to the nieces and nephews and brothers and sisters rather than Sunburst. Much too important with all those super powers after all and while no one would say it, everyone's up to this point heard of the clean up efforts still ongoing. Through it all, Sunburst's phone finally gives a buzz, a new number though the recipient is known. Lyra.

The message is short and to the point. It provides a location: a well known fast food chain known as Samuyaki and a time: An hour. It's not too far from the homestead even by walking however as with everything, complications are just around the corner. No sooner has the phone buzzed than Tinamatua* Auva'a gently leans over from around Sunburst. "Making friends,Tausala**? Your phone has been quite the busy bee these last few weeks." The Matriarch of the Auva'a is most certainly long out of her prime with a stooped back and frail features but an air of stoic strength remains, her eyes sharp like flint as she places a shaky hand on Sunburst's arm. "I wanted to go to the River Markets this afternoon but your mother is busy. Why don't you come with me, I need some fresh. I'll make suafa’i tonight for dessert." The text remains, no follow up.

Show

* Grandma
    ** Beauty/Princess

Ronin

Not a moment too soon either as proximity sensors and displays reveal a guest. Not a welcome one like Kitsune or the team or just a neighbor coming to check in on you after your prolonged hermitage over the almost month long downtime. One might mistake the young woman for you at a fair distance, the same cheekbones, the same air and way they hold herself, at least while in your armor. Fuyu, one of your many cousins and similarly disregarded choice of your Grandfather's many grandchildren. While not in costume, even a social visit bodes ill and the young woman is doing little to hide the blade at her side as she waits patiently on the sidewalk, eyes locked on one of your security cameras. A few yards down the road a car far too nice for the neighborhood waits, several goons waiting alongside it. Time to test the armor, perhaps?
    Last edited by Razade; 2022-01-06 at 06:33 AM.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

Sunburst
    Conditions:

Show

Show
    Held Burn

Shielding

Moat

Reality Storm

Snatch

Move

Overcharge

Elemental Awareness

Moves

Lanuola fishes her phone out of her pocket as it finally buzzes, closing the dishwasher door as she did so. She only has a moment to take in the location and time before her grandmother arrives to speak with her. "Oh! Ah..." Out of reflex as much as anything else, she moves her phone screen so that it wasn't easily visible. A youth spent with Cindy as her older sister had taught her that keeping her contacts quiet was the best way to avoid teasing, "Just, uh, just someone I was hoping to meet up with today."

She hesitates, not wanting to turn her grandmother down, but equally unwilling to let the chance to speak with Lyra slip away, "I'd love to, uh, to go with you. But, uh..." She opts for a partial truth, "I've been trying to meet up with them for, uh, for weeks now. Would you be ok if I still did..? It's, uh, it's in the next hour..."

Show

26. - Top - End - #446

PirateGuy

Ronin
    Conditions:

Show

Show

Miho lets out a long, shaky breath as the armour buttons itself up around her. Family visits are never anything to be greeted with enthusiasm, at least in her family. At least it’s not by anyone currently in favour...unless, of course, things have changed without her keeping up with them. Which, given her recent obsessive focus, isn’t entirely out of the question.

Well, time to do this.

”Armour; open launch door,” she instructs, herself beginning the process of firing up the EMdrive.

The garage door the house came with is no longer something that opens, instead being just one more reinforced wall of her workshop. The opener had been repurposed to move a heavy roof panel instead, creating an opening large enough for the armour to fly in and out at need.

Which she proceeded to do, taking the Mark II on its maiden flight, albeit an extremely short one. Launching through the opening she arcs over and lands with a solid thud, the force from the drive sending a wash of sidewalk dust billowing away in all directions.

Straightening, Ronin regards her kinswoman steadily, yet again glad that she has a helmet to help obscure her expressions.

”Fuyu,” she says simply by way of greeting. Clearly the other girl has an agenda here, so she’ll leave matters in her hands to move forward.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Sunburst, Grandma: Homestead

Tinamatua Auva'a gives a slight frown as the phone is quickly moved, bony finger giving a prod into Sunburst's side that's just hard enough to be more than good natured. "Not going on a date, Tausala? You know what your mother would say. I've seen that red head boy with you. Don't think I haven't seen those girls looking at you either. Why don't you shred and soak the coconut for me before you go and I won't tell your mother." she offers though the tone is clearly rhetorical, moving slowly though her grip on Sunburst's arm remains like old roots as she makes her way to the kitchen. "I will tell you a story to make the time go faster, you like my stories don't you Tausala." With a groan the matron finds a seat, hands wringing at themselves once they've finally let go of their prize.

Ronin, Fuyu: Also...Homestead...

"Toyha." Fuyu replies, the cool stance not breaking as she appraises the new suit with the same enthusiasm one might regard someone watering their lawn. "Grandfather desires to speak to you. I am here to take you to his barge." Short, sweet, to the point. The hand placed on her blade seems almost an afterthought, the men down the way remaining calm and at ease.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

Sunburst
    Conditions:

Show

Show
    Held Burn

Shielding

Moat

Reality Storm

Snatch

Move

Overcharge

Elemental Awareness

Moves

Lanuola blinks at her grandmother's assumption, then feels her cheeks begin to glow at the realisation of what had been said. Did any of her team see her in that way? They didn't, right? Surely she'd have noticed? And why did people keep assuming that she was going on a date whenever she got a text? Mercifully, she was saved from the line of conversation as her grandmother manoeuvered her into the kitchen.

Once released, and finding herself once more in the kitchen, Lanuola picks out a cube of desiccated coconut from the cupboard and begins to grate it. "Of course, tinamatua. Which story did you want to tell me?"

Show

29. - Top - End - #449

PirateGuy

Ronin
    Conditions:

Show

Show

What?

She was so stunned for a moment that the armour resembled a statue more than an animate figure.

”The old bastard hasn’t been interested in me since he walked away after having my back broken,” Ronin replied harshly. ”I don’t know what possessed you to think this was a subterfuge that would work, but it’s hardly credible,” she spat with overt scorn.

”I don’t have time for your foolish games. Why are you really here?” the armoured heroine demanded. Seeking the real truth. For the idea that her Grandfather has actually summoned her was...more than a little terrifying.

Spoiler: CRUNCH
    Show
    Pierce the Mask: 11
    What are you really planning?
    What do you want me to do?
    How could I get you to be an ally against our Grandfather?

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Sunburst, Grandma: Kitchen

Tinamatua Auva'a motions to the coconuts in question and the worn ceramic bowl that has sat as a centerpiece of the mountain of pots and pans that rise over the kitchen. She tells you the same thing every time, in the same soft tone. Her father made that bowl before they came to San Fransapporo. She was just a girl, and she would sit at the riverside markets and clean fish he took from the Pepper River, that no matter how little they had, if they had that bowl and it was full of food they'd feel all right. It brings out that youth in her eyes, that sparkle you see when she's up to mischief, when she would let you and Cindy steal an extra cookie when your mother wasn't watching. Tinamatua Auva'a always seemed to know what you got up to in the dark. You learned when you got your powers why. The frail, failing, woman, the youth that would clean fish guts in a ceramic bowl on the riverfront, was just like you and may well still be. Your mother and father would tell you not to ask, but the rest of the family knew. A Darkness at least as deep as your Light was bright moved within the matron. No one told stories about it.

She leaves you in silence, for a time, seeming to have transported herself to some other time, wistful and content in the morning sun that streams in from high skylights your father installed when Tinamatua Auva'a came to live with you. The look is short lived, the elderly woman coming to and fixing you with a long, hard look. "I had a sister, once. She passed before I had your mother. She was pretty, like you. My memory isn't as good as it was, all the photos I had have been lost but when I look at you you make me think of her sometimes. You would have liked her, she might have helped you with your powers. She could use the Light like you. Cindy would have liked her more. She was a wild and willful thing. If had a boyfriend, she'd want to date him. Dressed in men's clothing, drove my father to a fit. Went to bars and fought with the sailors at the Bay. It's what got her in the end, that willfulness. Took a boat out to Bear Island, Coast Guard brought it back, no sign of her. Spent weeks in the Darkness, hoping she'd just finally run off like your sister. Spent years angry that she left. Everyone's been dealing with Cindy's leaving in their own way but no one is talking about it. You can talk to me Tausala, when you're ready."

Ronin, Fuyu: Outside

Fuyu regards you with the same stony face. "Your usual self importance is on display, Cousin, but as it might come as a shock to you it brings me no joy to take time from my day to visit you. I have delivered my message. If you try to run, I am ordered to stop you. If you fight, I am ordered to subdue you. If you return with me, we will both get to return to our days much faster. I suggest the latter option. My men are not equipped to fight you and it will bring me no joy in dragging you in front of Grandfather after your last shameful defeat." She motions to the car, a single eyebrow raised. "Shall we?"

Show

1. She's being honest. She's come to get you.
    2. She wants you to go without a fight.
    3. There isn't a way.
    Last edited by Razade; 2022-01-19 at 02:07 AM.